Type keyword(s) to search

People Magazine Investigates - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Okay, I’m trying not to hate this show, but they make that so hard.

None of these reporters can narrate a story without irritating the hell out of me.  One has a whiny baby voice, another one has a lisp, and the editor has possibly the most annoying British accent I’ve ever heard.  For fuck’s sake, hire a narrator.

The story of the Springfield Three had no resolution.  It was a sad story, a whodunit mystery, deserving to be told, but if it’s not solved it makes the viewer annoyed to sit through for an hour. Come on, People Magazine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I don't mind watching an unsolved story, myself, but yeah, I can see where it might be frustrating for those who don't. 

I seem to remember this story being covered on a "Disappeared" episode once, too. I'm glad there's still attention being brought to this case-such a weird, creepy, haunting story. I hope the families and friends will finally get some answers as soon as possible.

And god, that guy who refuses to talk about what he knows (or what he claims to know, at least) until after his mom dies. You just want to punch him. If he doesn't actually know anything and he just wants attention, then somebody needs to call him on it and tell him to shut up. And if he does know what happened, then somebody needs to get him to talk now. 

• Love 5

Regarding the Kevin Collins disappearance...was it revealed whose bones were found in the convicted pedophile’s garage?

Either I missed it or they didn’t say. 

I don't believe they said, no.

What a sad story. That poor family. I can't believe the police waited three days before actually starting up an investigation. The kid was ten years old, for god's sakes, his family was clearly worried, they should've gotten out there and started investigating a LOT sooner. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

Regarding the Kevin Collins disappearance...was it revealed whose bones were found in the convicted pedophile’s garage?

Either I missed it or they didn’t say. 

They didn't say, but Wiki says they were animal bones.

Edited by walnutqueen
21 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

They didn't say, but Wiki says they were animal bones.

Thank you WalnutQueen.  

I assumed they weren't human but you never know.

As to the prime suspects' partner...can a human get any lower in the gutter than him?  Full immunity - and he still is tormenting the family.  

No way in hell he doesn't know anything.  No way.

Holy crap, the Freeway Phantom case in tonight's episode. What a haunting, horrifying story. 

Infuriating, too-imagine, imagine if the police had gone looking for Carol the night her mom reported her missing, instead of shrugging her off as a runaway. She'd been alive most of the time she was held captive. Had police been on her case from the get-go, maybe they could've saved her in time, and caught the guy, and five more girls might still be alive now. 

(It's interesting that she seems to be the only victim who survived for a few days after her abduction. The other girls were found dead within a short time of going missing. So eerie to see how this killer was honing their M.O. with each new murder.)

And then the destruction of evidence. Why the hell would anyone do that? God, I can't even begin to imagine how pissed those families are about that. Bless that detective for doing her best to try and recreate the file, though-it's something, at least. The D.C. police should be ashamed of how badly they dropped the ball on this one. 

Those poor girls. Those poor families. I wouldn't blame any of their loved ones for losing hope after all these years, especially given the lack of case preservation, but I do hope they can finally get at least some of the answers they're looking for eventually. 

• Love 5

I'm watching the one about the wife of the fire chief in Louisiana who came to his house engulfed in flames, and his wife had died in the fire.   Except, she was shot, and the house fire was arson.     The husband was having an affair, and he claims his wife knew, and they might divorce eventually.    Of course the show used the deadly phrase about the wife "She lit up the room when she walked in, and everyone loved her".      The only proof that the wife was alive after the husband went to work was a McDonald's trip by her that morning.   The husband was cleared.  Also, her stepson.   

Her husband's brother who had a long criminal past, and had issues with the victim.    I'm wondering if it's possible to fool a home arrest monitoring system that the brother had on?     It turns out the brother's ankle monitor didn't track him.   

Also, the husband was married when he met and dated the wife, and then he was cheating on the second wife too.   

The plot twist is that there is one theory that she set the fire, and committed suicide before the fire got to her.  She was definitely dead before the fire started.  Very strange case, but there really aren't too many suspects left.   The victim's family pushed different shows to highlight the case, hoping someone will come forward with more information to solve the case.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
On 9/7/2020 at 3:43 PM, chenoa333 said:

I'm watching it yet again. The murder of Jessica Chambers. It's so tough to watch but damn I want justice for this young woman more than any other unsolved murder.

I’m telling ya, they need to look at that guy that “found” her keys, Jerry King. Or as I like to pronounce it, j ErryK ing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 9/7/2020 at 2:43 PM, chenoa333 said:

I'm watching it yet again. The murder of Jessica Chambers. It's so tough to watch but damn I want justice for this young woman more than any other unsolved murder.

Investigation Discovery did a treatment of this poor girl but it was not all that good (to me.)

The Rob Andrew one is so sad:  "Yeah.....we need to delay the funeral as the wife is being arrested."

• Love 1

The Bible-thumping in the latest episode (couple on beach shot by man with mental problems) was so overbearing. OK, they were a Christian couple, but that turned out to have nothing at all to do with the crime, despite heavy promotion to the contrary (devil images in the "driftwood inn" on the beach! Oh, noes!). 

Then for a second toward the end, we're shown a sign stating "no camping" on the beach. No mention that the couple was doing exactly that. Of course, it's no excuse or reason for being victims, it's just an odd thing to show, but ignore verbally.

Gee, it's nice the murders brought the church-goers together.... 😛

ETA, the killer thought of them as "vagrants", probably because there's no camping on the beach. Plus, their car bothered him. The start of the episode made it sound like it was parked strangely...possibly illegally? No one else drove it, however.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 2
On 3/30/2021 at 12:16 PM, Andromeda said:

The Bible-thumping in the latest episode (couple on beach shot by man with mental problems) was so overbearing. OK, they were a Christian couple, but that turned out to have nothing at all to do with the crime, despite heavy promotion to the contrary (devil images in the "driftwood inn" on the beach! Oh, noes!). 

Then for a second toward the end, we're shown a sign stating "no camping" on the beach. No mention that the couple was doing exactly that. Of course, it's no excuse or reason for being victims, it's just an odd thing to show, but ignore verbally.

Gee, it's nice the murders brought the church-goers together.... 😛

ETA, the killer thought of them as "vagrants", probably because there's no camping on the beach. Plus, their car bothered him. The start of the episode made it sound like it was parked strangely...possibly illegally? No one else drove it, however.

I don't necessarily believe the killer's story of how he saw their car the morning of the 14th when he was going hunting, since their photographs showed them sight seeing in San Francisco that day, and it appeared that they made their way to fish head beach later in the day. Maybe he saw it on the way back from hunting but I don't believe that he saw it earlier. 

In other accounts I have read they tried to get a room at a nearby hotel but could not, and were told about the beach. It would not surprise me that it would be a place people would stay especially with the driftwood structure complete with a book for visitors to sign in.

What bothered me was the father of the killer, who knew that his son had problems and even tried early on to get him help. He knew that his son was violent and had multiple run ins with the law. But even while his son was in jail for weapons offenses, he did what his son asked and got rid of the murder weapon. Presumably the dad did not know it was used in a murder, but if my son had the history of his son and asked me to get rid of a gun, I would be taking it to the closest police station. His son went on to almost kill someone in 2009, and then eventually kill his own brother several years later. The father's other son would be alive most likely had he done the right thing and not got rid of the gun when his son sitting in jail asked him to. 

The religious bent to the story didn't bother me. I am not religious, but am glad that the parents were able to get through the horrific loss of their daughter and her fiance with the help of their faith. 

• Love 2
On 10/19/2020 at 2:46 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm wondering if it's possible to fool a home arrest monitoring system that the brother had on?     It turns out the brother's ankle monitor didn't track him.   

I worked for an electronic monitoring service about 15 years ago. So I'm sure things have changed somewhat with technology.  

However, here is what I know from that era: we monitored felons on GPS tracking and people who had multiple dui's and had to blow into a device in order to unlock their car and drive it.

The other component of electronic monitoring was ankle "bracelet" monitoring. A felon can (and will) cut off the ankle bracelet. The alarm monitoring center gets the signal then.......we have specific instructions (in the computer) from the parole officer as far as how to proceed at that point. Sometimes it's"call the parole officer" for further instructions. So that time frame IMO can give a felon time to get away. Far away. IMO

Sometimes it's just a glitch in the electronic monitoring system. Felon hasn't done anything wrong. Just a computer error. However, if the ankle bracelet is cut off the computer will show it's been manually disconnected. I'm no expert on this subject. Just telling what I know from over a decade+ ago.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I watched the rerun of the Whitaker family killings in Texas.   The family was out celebrating the one older son, Bart's college graduation, when they returned home someone opened fire on all of them, killing the youjnger brother, his mother, and severely wounding the father.   The guilty son went to get his cellphone, and claims he confronted the shooter, and was wounded.   Only the son shot himself, and did all of it for the inheritance.   

The older son fled to Mexico, and was eventually brought back, and tried for the killings, and was originally sentenced to death.  

The killings were for inheritance, and there were two associates, one was sentence to life in prison, the other 15 years for flipping on the others.   

This People magazine article discusses the commutation of his death sentenced to life without parole, pushed by his father.   

https://people.com/crime/bart-whitaker-murdered-mom-brother-granted-clemency-avoids-death-penalty/

The twist in the story is that two years before the killings, the parents were told that son was plotting to have them murdered.  

Here's a better article from Forensic Files: 

https://forensicfilesnow.com/index.php/2019/10/11/bart-whitaker-relative-tragedy/comment-page-1/

I just don't understand the father of Bart standing up for his son, after he shot the father, and murdered his mother and brother.     And after the previous attempt to have them killed.     The father just makes no sense to me.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Oh man did anyone watch this latest episode about the Groene Family Massacre. That guy was pure evil! I'm so glad that Shasta made it. Thank god that Denny's waitress realized that Shasta was in trouble and needed to stay there! 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ellenr33 said:

Oh man did anyone watch this latest episode about the Groene Family Massacre. That guy was pure evil! I'm so glad that Shasta made it. Thank god that Denny's waitress realized that Shasta was in trouble and needed to stay there! 

I remember this unfolding. And after Shasta was found, I don't remember if Court TV showed the trial  or just did a lot of coverage but I remembered so much of it. I never forgot and a year or two ago, I Googled Shasta, hoping she was ok. I only found articles that alluded to the troubles she'd gotten into and I felt terrible, but understood why she would have such a hard time. So as hard as it was to watch last night, she even before she revealed that she's doing better now, she so much healthier the pictures I'd seen, then seeing her happy made me glad I watched. How she coped at all amazes me. I feel for the surviving moved ones of all the victims. 

• Love 7

I remember hearing this story on an episode of "FBI: Criminal Pursuit" once years ago. It was disturbing enough then, to weed even further into the graphic details in this episode, and to learn more about the other crimes this psycho was connected to, was just....yeeeesh. I too am glad that Shasta seems to be doing better now, and I hope she has/continues to have a really strong support system around her. I can't even begin to imagine the depths of the trauma she's endured and the horrific memories she has to live with. Good lord. I was amazed and impressed by how clever she was in interacting with that creep while he held her captive, and how she managed to placate him long enough until help finally came. 

On that note, that Denny's waitress who stalled until the cops arrived is a damn hero. Thank goodness she was there that night, and was attentive enough to catch on to what was going on so quickly. 

It's absolutely appalling that this guy was able to get out of prison as often as he did, thus allowing him the opportunity to go on and commit so many horrifying crimes. I want to know what the fuck kind of friend bails someone like him out - either they're as creepy as this guy or they desperately need to get better friends, one of the two. I feel like the people who kept allowing him to be released should be scrutinized a little further, 'cause it sure seems like the justice system dropped the ball quite a few times prior to this tragedy. 

At least he no longer poses any kind of threat to anyone. Good riddance. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 6/7/2022 at 7:53 PM, Annber03 said:

I remember hearing this story on an episode of "FBI: Criminal Pursuit" once years ago. It was disturbing enough then, to weed even further into the graphic details in this episode, and to learn more about the other crimes this psycho was connected to, was just....yeeeesh. I too am glad that Shasta seems to be doing better now, and I hope she has/continues to have a really strong support system around her. I can't even begin to imagine the depths of the trauma she's endured and the horrific memories she has to live with. Good lord. I was amazed and impressed by how clever she was in interacting with that creep while he held her captive, and how she managed to placate him long enough until help finally came. 

On that note, that Denny's waitress who stalled until the cops arrived is a damn hero. Thank goodness she was there that night, and was attentive enough to catch on to what was going on so quickly. 

It's absolutely appalling that this guy was able to get out of prison as often as he did, thus allowing him the opportunity to go on and commit so many horrifying crimes. I want to know what the fuck kind of friend bails someone like him out - either they're as creepy as this guy or they desperately need to get better friends, one of the two. I feel like the people who kept allowing him to be released should be scrutinized a little further, 'cause it sure seems like the justice system dropped the ball quite a few times prior to this tragedy. 

At least he no longer poses any kind of threat to anyone. Good riddance. 

The minute I saw the house where she and her family lived in relation to the Interstate, I immediately thought that they were totally exposed on that property to any kind of pervert or psycho who was traveling along there...I was thinking along the lines that it might have been a truck driver. But this guy was really predatory...stalking them for days with high powered binoculars. A very sick man who was able to slide under the radar assisted by a justice system that allowed him to do so. Shasta had a rough time after she came home. She ended up using drugs and committing petty crimes when she was teen and then spent time in juvenile detention. Considering all she's been through, she's a survivor and a very strong woman. I hope she finds some peace and happiness in her life.

• Sad 3
  • Love 1

Tonight's episode...god, I just can't imagine having to spend 24 years in prison for a crime you didn't commit. Timmy mentioning that he makes sure he's caught on camera and carrying receipts to prove where he was, just in case...that's utterly heartbreaking, and really speaks to the difficulty of what he went through. I'm glad he did finally get released in the end, though, and I loved how proud his defense attorney was to see him being set free. And I admire his "keep your head up and have faith" mentality, too. 

It's absolutely insane that they wanted him to plead guilty to the murder. I'm glad he refused to take that deal, and fought to see to it his record was completely clear.

I was thinking for a time there that we'd learn that the wife of the guy who died had something to do with his death, and the robberies that happened that night were revealed to have just coincidentally happened at around the same time. But yeah, the idea that the two women were in the same room trying to identify their suspect like that...ridiculous that that was allowed. 

Sadly not surprised at the people refusing to hear any evidence that wouldn't benefit their case :/. It's so disturbing how many stories like that are out there. 

I hope they can one day officially confirm who was responsible for those robberies, and that murder. Even if they can't convict the person, at least the people affected would be able to have some answers. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 2

Man, tonight's episode about the Colorado hammer murders.... How utterly horrifying. Everything with Vanessa and what happened to her family just broke my heart into pieces. The poor woman. I like how the disclaimer at the beginning said that the details of the crimes in this episode "may be" upsetting...uh, yeah, try "will be upsetting" instead. The details of what he did to the little girls was just...ugh. 

The Holms seem like a very sweet couple. I'm glad they were able to lean on each other through everything. 

Great looking out, too, guards - he was able to escape way too easily during that jail transport trip. I was afraid, when they started talking about how they finally were able to get some headway 17 years later, that we'd learn the guy had still been out committing crimes all that time, but thankfully, no, he was in prison all that time. And thanks to some very dedicated investigators and prosecutors, he's going to remain there forever. 

I wish all the survivors well, and I hope they continue to find all the comfort and support they need going forward. 

• Sad 2

"How can I fight for a country that's killing my family?"

If that doesn't just say it all right there. Damn.

Man, I do remember hearing about the murder of James Byrd, Jr. back in the '90s, and I knew the basics of the case, and how he'd been murdered...but I'd never heard the details of just HOW graphic his murder truly was. What a gruesome way to die. And then those creeps placing his body where they did besides...ugh. Not the brightest bulbs in the box, this trio. I'm not a death penalty supporter, but frankly, if they really wanted to do the whole "eye for an eye" punishment for those guys, treat them like they treated Byrd. 

Also, fuck the KKK. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2

Anyone watching this? Last night’s The Strange Case is Karlie Guse was odd. I missed the first 15 minutes. What was with that recording the stepmom made? Karlie said “I’m eating the devils lettuce?” Which isn’t that a nickname for weed? And the stepmom said “no, you’re eating the lettuce I bought you at the store?” So weird.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Pi237 said:

What was with that recording the stepmom made?

I missed the first part too but I got sucked in when people turned on the Stepmom and the Dad - being especially suspicious of the Stepmom's attention seeking behavior!  She later said that she made the recording to show to Karlie the next day to emphasize the negative consequences of doing drugs.  In that context, it did make sense, but wow if the conversation wasn't creepy in light of what happened. 

I also missed the Mom's involvement in Karlie's life.  Did Karlie live with the Dad and Stepmom?  I just thought it was funny when they gave her the honorary HS diploma that her Mom didn't appear to be there.  There was a press conference, I believe a year after she went missing, that I don't think she was at as well.  

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Pi237 said:

We need to get Dateline or 20/20 on this one, find out what we’re missing. 

They did mention that the parents did a thing with "Dateline", which caused a whole lot of chaos and mess for them afterward...but it sounded like it was an online sort of thing, rather than a proper episode. 

But yeah, I'd be all for a deeper dive into this story on one of those kinds of shows, 'cause man, what a strange case indeed. 

I was just struck by her parents going on "Dr. Phil". I totally get the desire for more exposure for your daughter's case in and of itself, of course, I can understand being desperate enough to reach out to anyone who'll bring attention to your missing child...

...but given how badly the "Dateline" thing had gone for them, I was kind of amazed that they were willing to take that risk again. Plus...it's Dr. Phil. I'd just be wary of going on such a sensationalistic type of show like that, even if I'm doing so for a good reason. 

Anywho, yeah, poor Karlie. Whatever happened to her, I hope her family, friends, and all those involved in working this case are able to get some answers soon. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 8/8/2023 at 12:24 PM, Kiki620 said:

I missed the first part too but I got sucked in when people turned on the Stepmom and the Dad - being especially suspicious of the Stepmom's attention seeking behavior!  She later said that she made the recording to show to Karlie the next day to emphasize the negative consequences of doing drugs.  In that context, it did make sense, but wow if the conversation wasn't creepy in light of what happened. 

I also missed the Mom's involvement in Karlie's life.  Did Karlie live with the Dad and Stepmom?  I just thought it was funny when they gave her the honorary HS diploma that her Mom didn't appear to be there.  There was a press conference, I believe a year after she went missing, that I don't think she was at as well.  

Karlie did live with her Dad and stepmom, as did her brother.  Such an odd case.  For some reason, I didn’t care for the stepmom.  I don’t even know why really.  But the mini, way too casual, very short dress she wore to the graduation was so inappropriate.  I’m petty, but I can’t help it.  Karlie changed clothes and shoes before she left, how did the stepmom not hear her?  I know it’s plausible, but as I said, she just grated on my nerves.  When she made the first Facebook video, she was huffing and puffing, even stopped mid-sentence to take a drink of water from a huge plastic cup.  I couldn’t believe she didn’t redo the video.  I don’t remember seeing any Dateline on this, so they must have not aired it.  Poor Karlie….I hope she is alive somewhere.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, ButterQueen said:

But the mini, way too casual, very short dress she wore to the graduation was so inappropriate.  I’m petty, but I can’t help it.  

If you're petty, then so am I, 'cause that struck me, too. 

Karlie changed clothes and shoes before she left, how did the stepmom not hear her?

My mom and I were wondering about the whole clothing description thing, too. The difference between what her mom described her wearing versus what the eyewitnesses described her wearing didn't strike me as a problem in and of itself, 'cause I just chalked that up to her stepmom describing the last thing she remembers her wearing, the last thing she saw her in before she disappeared. That would be a logical way to explain that discrepancy. 

But yeah, since it does seem that Karlie changed her clothing at some point the morning she disappeared, then my big question would be, what became of the clothes her stepmom had last seen her in? Her friends hadn't seen her the morning she went missing, so she obviously didn't stop to change at their place (unless one of them was covering for her, perhaps, but even then I would still think that detail would come out eventually). If she'd discarded her clothes while taking her walk around the neighborhood, then somebody would've found them along the side of the road or in somebody's backyard or something at some point. 

And if she changed at home, then, yeah, forget about whether or not her stepmom would've heard her, wouldn't her family have seen her clothes somewhere in the house at some point? 

I just feel like that was a rather notable detail that would've been worth examining further. Maybe the police did look into that, but still. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I saw it, yeah. I've heard the basics of this case before, but I didn't really know all the details. What a horribly tragic story. Those poor girls. It's kind of weird that girls that age were working a closing shift like that - couldn't there be some adult there to supervise them or something? Not that that might've stopped whoever committed the crime, mind, but still... 

And this happened right before the holidays, too, and they still haven't solved this case 30 plus years later. I can't imagine the pain those families are going through. My heart goes out to them. 

• Like 4

I thought it was so strange that two men would confess, if they’re innocent. Then, they showed some of the interrogation techniques and wow. They really don’t care if the right men are caught, do they? Cuz I couldn’t live with myself if I helped convict an innocent person.

Still, no matter how many hours it went on, or how leading the questions you’d like to think you’d still say, ‘wait! No, I didnt do it!’  If my years of watching Law & Order have taught me Anything, it’s to yell, “I want a Lawyer!” As soon as I got in any interrogation room. 

Those poor girls and their families. I can’t imagine. Makes you want to never leave your kids out of your sight. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Pi237 said:

I thought it was so strange that two men would confess, if they’re innocent. Then, they showed some of the interrogation techniques and wow. They really don’t care if the right men are caught, do they? Cuz I couldn’t live with myself if I helped convict an innocent person.

Still, no matter how many hours it went on, or how leading the questions you’d like to think you’d still say, ‘wait! No, I didnt do it!’  If my years of watching Law & Order have taught me Anything, it’s to yell, “I want a Lawyer!” As soon as I got in any interrogation room. 

Unfortunately, a lot of people aren't as fully aware of their rights in that area as they could/should be, and it makes it that much easier for cops to manipulate them. Plus, most people are nervous in a police station/interrogation room as it is, so that makes it far easier for them to say whatever they think will get them out of there faster. Just like when people are being tortured - they'll say whatever the person torturing them wants to hear in the hopes the torture will stop, whether it's true or not. 

The fact that these kinds of manipulative interviews and false confessions happen so often is proof of just how much reform is needed in this aspect of police investigations. 

• Like 2

So I'm sitting here watching this latest episode, about Tanya Kach, and her dad makes a note of wanting to keep his identity hidden, and I was like, "Okay, that's a bit odd, but maybe there's a reason for it."

Then we get to his comments about his daughter's captivity, and....yeah. Now it makes sense. Talk about a total record scratch "WTF?" moment. 

• Like 4

He wants to hear her captors side of the story!? What a dick! That poor girl. And these people got such light sentences! She lives 13 minutes from the man who destroyed her life and her body. People get more time for drugs. What a country. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Pi237 said:

And these people got such light sentences! She lives 13 minutes from the man who destroyed her life and her body. People get more time for drugs. What a country. 

RIGHT? That's absolutely insane.

Her dad's words of advice at the end were valid on a general level, but also pretty rich coming from him, considering his earlier comments. 

• Like 3

I watched last night and as soon as I heard her father yanked that poor girl out of all that was familiar to her so that he could go chase love in McKeesport I knew he wasn’t as committed to his daughter as he proclaimed to be.   

And in the shadows. Dude. I could pick you out in a crowd with bad lighting.  Not because there were over twenty photos of you splashed on my screen but because the editors at People barely shadowed your face. 

I’m glad she has found a husband and stepchildren to make her happy.  She absolutely deserves it.  I just wish she’d move from there. 

I drove through McKeesport twice. It’s not a “sunny side of life” town.  Couple that with the stress Tanya must experience worrying that she’ll run into that child rapist. 

I believe every word out of Tanya’s mouth and I wish her nothing but the best moving forward in her life.  And though it pains me to say it…I think she’s right in distancing herself from her father.  She did waste 10 years of her life as a victim. She needs to create her own joy and if that means never seeing her father again, then that’s what she should do. 

6 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

And in the shadows. Dude. I could pick you out in a crowd with bad lighting.  Not because there were over twenty photos of you splashed on my screen but because the editors at People barely shadowed your face. 

Hahaha, yeah, I was thinking about that, too, while watching, like, "Well, we know you're the father of the woman being discussed on this show, we've seen all these older photos of you...

...but sure, keeping your face hidden from view will totally work. Yep. Nobody will ever figure out who you are." Especially not in a town that looks to be as small as this one is.

But yeah, it was pretty clear he obscured his face because he knew how controversial his comments about his daughter would be and so he wanted to try and avoid having to be put in the spotlight, literally so, any more than necessary.

And though it pains me to say it…I think she’s right in distancing herself from her father.  She did waste 10 years of her life as a victim. She needs to create her own joy and if that means never seeing her father again, then that’s what she should do. 

Agreed. He's shocked that she cut herself off from him and the family? Well, let's see, you're out here publicly doubting your daughter's account of her time being held captive by a creep, and actually stated you wanted to hear the side of the guy who, once again, raped your daughter and held her captive for YEARS...

Yeah. Total mystery why she wants nothing to do with you, bud. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Long Island Serial Killer- I appreciated the indepth reporting they did on Shannon Gilbert’s case. The other shows about this one never mentioned any of this information. How long the 911 call was, the driver trying to pull her out of the john’s house, that weird Dr who called her Mom saying he ran a safe house for female runaways (& faked a heart attack on tv!? Crazy!!). I believe she was murdered, but not by the one who killed the other girls.  That shady doctor did it.  Shannon was an episode all on her own. 

Dave (with Amanda) is telling a different story in this one.  Last one I watched/maybe Dateline, he said they had a scam where Amber would bring the guys to the house. She’d have Dave come in yelling “who are you? Get out of here!” After she took his money.   Rex Heuermann was one of these guys who wouldn’t leave and Dave had to force him out. Later, Rex called Amber and sweet talked her into another date which is when she was murdered. In this one, he leaves all of that out.  

• Useful 3
6 hours ago, Pi237 said:

Long Island Serial Killer- I appreciated the indepth reporting they did on Shannon Gilbert’s case. The other shows about this one never mentioned any of this information. How long the 911 call was, the driver trying to pull her out of the john’s house, that weird Dr who called her Mom saying he ran a safe house for female runaways (& faked a heart attack on tv!? Crazy!!). I believe she was murdered, but not by the one who killed the other girls.  That shady doctor did it.  Shannon was an episode all on her own. 

My mom thinks that doctor's involved, too. 

I feel bad for her surviving sister. She's got one sister who died under mysterious circumstances, and one sister who's sitting in jail for killing their mom. So much tragedy in that family, damn. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2