Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: The Children: Speculation Thread

• Start Topic

Episode 10 Synopsis:

Circumstances change after an unexpected arrival from north of the Wall. Dany must face harsh realities. Bran learns more about his destiny. Tyrion sees the truth about his situation.

Here is a chance to speculate about what events may or may not occur in episode 10 only.

Next week, a 'Looking ahead to S5' speculation thread will be posted, so please either save your thoughts about S5 for that thread or post them in another appropriate thread.

This is a Book Talk thread, therefore, if you are unspoiled please leave now or risk spoilers.

Thank you.

Even though she's not strictly necessary, I need Sansa to be in this for me to love it.

Hoping Brienne does in fact meet LSH. As the last scene.

Undecided on whether it would be better for Tyrion to kill Shae, or not.

If the writers write out the Tysha confession, I will be pissed.

I wonder if we'll have a hint of Dorne's prominence being on the horizon.

I am really hoping that LS makes an appearance. After seeing an Instagram post from Lena Headey I've gotten myself pumped up for it...but I was one of the ones who thought it would have made sense for her to be shown at the end of "Mhysa" (in keeping with the mother theme).

Actually, I think I would like them to alternate endings every season. Odd numbers Dany, even numbers magic in Westeros. It appeals to my OCD. :p

• Love 2

I actually wouldn't mind the last scene being Tywin's last shit. Nice symmetry there with the season beginning with him at the height of his power. Either that or LS.

I hope they don't go with Stannis sweeping in. 

I am really hoping that LS makes an appearance. After seeing an Instagram post from Lena Headey I've gotten myself pumped up for it...but I was one of the ones who thought it would have made sense for her to be shown at the end of "Mhysa" (in keeping with the mother theme).

Actually, I think I would like them to alternate endings every season. Odd numbers Dany, even numbers magic in Westeros. It appeals to my OCD. :p

Agree with this @Mya Stone I saw that Lena Heady pic as well and I too thought it would've been good at the end of 'Mhysa' for the same reason. Great minds and all that ;)

• Love 1
(edited)

I hope it ends with LS but with everything else they have to cover, will there be enough time? There are lots of OMG moments to come.

So much for the usual epi 10 letdown after a kickass epi 9.

Edited by Haleth

@Haleth from the pre-season interviews I watched, D&D (amongst others) said that S4 wouldn't have a single ep9 but multiple shocking episodes. I concluded that they'd have ep10 be a shocker (I did think 9 would still be one too - but got that wrong) to change things up for the audience.

• Love 1

To be fair, it's the way the book is structured, with various storylines ending in a surprise; it's not like they were really the ones who decided to change things up. 

So much for the usual epi 10 letdown after a kickass epi 9.

One could quibble about the quality of ep 10s, but I suppose at best now we have a letdown epi 9 preceding a kickass epi 10.

• Love 1

To be fair, it's the way the book is structured, with various storylines ending in a surprise; it's not like they were really the ones who decided to change things up. 

I don't believe they ever stated whether it was (or wasn't) their idea tbf, but it was certainly up to them how they presented those events, for example, many people are saying the battle at the wall should've happened earlier than episode 9. The trial by combat could've been an ep9 event or even better, Tyrion's escape & Tywin's fate could have been placed in episode 9 to continue the usual ep9 big moment.

(edited)

Yeah, but then they would have had to dig in book 5 for Tyrion for the finale. And presumably book 5 for Cersei too, for the King's Landing reaction. 

Which seems overly complicated in splicing together books as such when they've already had to throw in later stuff for Sansa, Bran, and Dany. 

I'm just saying that GRRM already had book 3 set up with the final chapters for various characters being a climax rather than the aftermath of the climax. Books 1 & 2 had aftermath chapters, so S1 and S2 reasonably had aftermath scenes. And S3 just continued that trend. This S4 shift just imitates the shift for book 3's endings.

Edited by jjjmoss

Yeah, ASoS has perfect climaxes for everyone near the end, my only surprise is that they moved Sansa's up to ep 7 and got into AFFC for the next ep. But Tyrion's Storm ending really only works as an ending imo. They probably should have switched the Wall to ep 8 and Obie's duel to ep 9, but Tyrion's story ending in ep 9 would be too early.

This is supposed to be the longest finale yet, right? I think they will jam-pack everything in there, including Stoneheart's epilogue.

Maximum Taco put up another promo in the preview thread, showing a shot of a certain murder victim.

My "epi 10 letdown" comment was trying to think like an Unsullied.  Between the things we know are going to happen and the things we hope will happen the show runners have turned the usual procedure on its head.  To date we've had a shocking epi 9 followed by a slower paced epi 10 that leaves us with one stand out image as the final shot. This year nonreaders have no idea what they are in for.  Should be fun. <evil cackle>

I agree that epis 8 and 9 should have been flipped.

Scenes I’m expecting (in no particular order):

1.  Arya and the Hound run into Brienne and Pod.

2.  Jaime (and Varys) help Tyrion escape

3.  Crossbow of doom

4.  Stannis to the rescue

5.  Grey Worm gets killed by the Sons of the Harpy (off screen, we just see Dany and Missandei react)

6.  Drogon torches a child (again, off screen), Dany locks up the other two dragons.

7.  Bran (remember him?) arrives at the tree from his vision and meets the Children of the Forest.

8.  Multiple scenes of Emmy-bait dialog

9.  Final shot, the reveal of Lady Stoneheart.

• Love 1

So, what does everybody think about Kit Harrington's interview with ABC, wherein he says he 'may be out of a job' after this episode?  Trolling, or...

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/game-thrones-kit-harrington-job/story?id=24069840

LOL.

If you watch the video it's more like "They'll get mad and fire me for spoiling" than "My character is going to die"

But it's a bit funny that some people will probably take it in the spirit of the latter.

• Love 1

LOL.

If you watch the video it's more like "They'll get mad and fire me for spoiling" than "My character is going to die"

But it's a bit funny that some people will probably take it in the spirit of the latter.

I thought the exact same thing.  Or since he KNOWS he won't be dying,  he just threw it out there.  

5.  Grey Worm gets killed by the Sons of the Harpy (off screen, we just see Dany and Missandei react)

Nooooooooo!

So, what does everybody think about Kit Harrington's interview with ABC, wherein he says he 'may be out of a job' after this episode?  Trolling, or...

Yeah, definitely a case of taking part of a remark out of context.  

8.  Multiple scenes of Emmy-bait dialog

9.  Final shot, the reveal of Lady Stoneheart.

Well I'm looking forward to these, assuming that #8 means Tyrion Tyrion Tyrion (re: Tysha & Tywin).

I need at least one minute of Sansa though. Preferably a bit more. 

Well I'm looking forward to these, assuming that #8 means Tyrion Tyrion Tyrion (re: Tysha & Tywin).

I need at least one minute of Sansa though. Preferably a bit more. 

I'm hoping for some Sansa too.

I was always hoping we'd get the scene of her descending the mountain with Randa Royce, it's one of my favourite Sansa chapters, but I don't think we'll have time. Also leaving the audience with a taste of Harry the Heir would be nice. Give Sansa a little upswing after leaving her in dispair the last 3 seasons.

Also I wouldn't mind a minute with Jorah, maybe a shot of him in a Lysene (or if they really want to stick with the books Selhorene) pleasure house with a platinum blonde whore.

I like the idea of a brief montage of scenes to give an idea of where certain characters are headed. Arya sailing to Braavos looking hopeful, Jon on top of the Wall for the first time as LC, Sansa traveling with Littlefinger and maybe she's riding in front looking confident, Bran with Bloodraven engaging in weirwood action, Jorah at the brothel (like that idea), Tyrion also sailing away, etc.

I've gotten so pessimistic about Stoneheart being in the episode that I'm going to have a breakdown from happiness if I see her hanging a Frey. [sansa] It's the only thing I've ever wanted.[/sansa]

I agree that they could have had a more eventful episode 9 if they'd had half the battle in 8 and Stannis' arrival in 9 along with the duel as the other big moment. In that case Tyrion would still have escaped in 10, but there would also have been more room for Jon's election. As it is, I think that might be pushed to early S5 (so Jon might be in book 3, Arya will be in book 4, Dany will be in book 5, Sansa might be in book 6 and Jaime will be in fanfiction-land - it's going to be quite a feat for the writers to keep everything moving along without causing a timeline trainwreck).

I hope Brienne and/or Arya come across a bunch of Frey's hanging from tree's (like a whole path stretching for a kilometre or more), and then the final scene shows the reveal, with Beric Dondarian and Co

Oh man I can't wait to see how the Unsullied community reacts to that (on top of all the other awesome shit happening i.e. The mountain screaming from the poison's, Tywin dying, Tyrion heading to Essos, and Stannis the Mannis conveniently showing up to save Jon Snow from his self-directed suicide mission (it's almost as if Jon Snow KNEW Stannis would show up!))

I'm hoping for some Sansa too.

I was always hoping we'd get the scene of her descending the mountain with Randa Royce, it's one of my favourite Sansa chapters, but I don't think we'll have time. Also leaving the audience with a taste of Harry the Heir would be nice. Give Sansa a little upswing after leaving her in dispair the last 3 seasons.

I'd like to see Sansa also, even if it's just a dialog-free scene of her, Littlefinger and Robin at a feast hosted by some anonymous Vale lord. 

As far as Harry the Heir, I get the feeling that D&D have combined the characters "Harrold Hardyng" and "Robin Arryn" into a new character named "Robin Arryn".  The story of how Harry is next in line for the lordship of the Vale is too complex for casual viewers to follow -- it's like the plot to that John Goodman movie King Ralph. Plus show!Robin is a) older and b) less sickly than book!Robin.  Now that Lysa is out of the picture, Littlefinger can mold him into a suitable lord of the Vale and husband for the heir of Winterfell.

(I just realized where GRRM got that plot; it's George I inheriting the crown of Great Britain from his distant relative Anne).

I hope Brienne and/or Arya come across a bunch of Frey's hanging from tree's (like a whole path stretching for a kilometre or more), and then the final scene shows the reveal, with Beric Dondarian and Co

That would be a switch from the books, as

Beric Dondarrion gave his life to resurrect Catelyn.

I'd like to see Sansa also, even if it's just a dialog-free scene of her, Littlefinger and Robin at a feast hosted by some anonymous Vale lord. 

As far as Harry the Heir, I get the feeling that D&D have combined the characters "Harrold Hardyng" and "Robin Arryn" into a new character named "Robin Arryn".  The story of how Harry is next in line for the lordship of the Vale is too complex for casual viewers to follow -- it's like the plot to that John Goodman movie King Ralph. Plus show!Robin is a) older and b) less sickly than book!Robin.  Now that Lysa is out of the picture, Littlefinger can mold him into a suitable lord of the Vale and husband for the heir of Winterfell.

(I just realized where GRRM got that plot; it's George I inheriting the crown of Great Britain from his distant relative Anne).

I really hope that isn't the case.

One of the upcoming quandries for Sansa that I see hinges on the existance of a Harry

namely whether or not she will let Robin die, in order to further her/Littlefingers agenda. If there's no Harry it kind of ruins it. Also it'll be all the more tempting for Sansa if Harry is the dashing Lord that she's always dreamed of.

My guess is that the final scene will be either by LSH or Dany learning her dragons have killed a child.   Hoping for LSH

I may be in the minority, but I don't really care one way or the other if we get the Tysha confession.  I'd be OK with the time spent instead on whether Shae was always a Tywin spy and faking her emotions, as I'm going to need something to make it plausible that Tyrion would be driven to kill her, beside just a sudden fit of rage.  

I'm also really hoping they don't clearly and unambiguously kill off the Hound.  I'd like for the gravedigger theory to be correct and to see him in future episodes.  It just seems like a waste of good character to have him die from some random wound.  

• Love 3

Essential elements for the episode for me:

1. Tyrion killing Tywin

2. LSH reveal

3. Tyrion being motivated to do #1 by the Tysha confession

4. Sansa

How many of those things are pulled off correctly determines how much I'll like the episode.

I suppose there's a chance I could care for other stuff, but I didn't so much in the book so I don't expect that to happen.

My guess is that the final scene will be either by LSH or Dany learning her dragons have killed a child.   Hoping for LSH

I may be in the minority, but I don't really care one way or the other if we get the Tysha confession.  I'd be OK with the time spent instead on whether Shae was always a Tywin spy and faking her emotions, as I'm going to need something to make it plausible that Tyrion would be driven to kill her, beside just a sudden fit of rage.  

I'm also really hoping they don't clearly and unambiguously kill off the Hound.  I'd like for the gravedigger theory to be correct and to see him in future episodes.  It just seems like a waste of good character to have him die from some random wound.  

I don't really care about the Tysha confession for it's own sake, but I'd like it to happen because I want Tyrion to cop to killing Joffrey. "Yes I killed your vile son!"

That will be such an amazing scene.

I also really hope we get the gravedigger confirmation. That's where the Hound needs to end up.

I forgot that not only are we losing Charles Dance after this episode but Rory McCann too, baring a change to the Hound's storyline.

Dany's last scene will be having her dragons locked up...the preview seemed to indicate that will happen. After three years of victories, Dany needs a downer to end on. I wonder if the last scene will be a downer for the audience.

I want the Tysha story myself. I think the scene needs that to really drive Tyrion's anger over the top.

I usually don't talk much about the show vs. the books on these threads, but it just hit me today that Sunday is going to be Father's Day, so, baring them massively changing things, I have to imagine the internet is going to have quite a lot of fun with that Tyrion/Tywin scene and how that ends for Tywin.

• Love 1

There's an unconfirmed list on the w.org board detailing that prosthetics Emmy submisson, including Bloodraven, some wights to attack Bran, and the Mountain's gruesome injuries. The first and last should definitely be in since Blodraven's been cast and Gregor 3.0 apparently said in an interview that he'd be in 3 eps total, and I figured they'd started setting up Qyburn as Cersei's new bff already for that very reason. I don't think it really means much of anything for Stoneheart, she never cut up her own face on the show and the slit throat wouldn't require anywhere near as much work as Gregor's poisoned wounds and the Northern undead.

Episode stills are up, and give away less than the promos.

(edited)

According to D and D, there's still battle scenes and CGI, which should mean Stannis's arrival.  Fingers crossed we get Ser Patrek (or whomever) killing a giant with a lance.

Edited by benteen

That's also according to all the promos, where we see

soldiers on horses in the snow.

Not to mention the above ep description with "an unexpected arrival from north of the Wall". I'd peg that as happening pretty soon in ep 10, of all the things to definitely happen (Bran finding Bloodraven, Tyrion escaping and killing Tywin, Arya leaving Sandor for dead, and Dany chaining up the dragons), Stannis's victory makes the least sense to me as a story-ender.

Stannis coming to save the day I'd expect relatively early in this episode, although all bets are off as to if Val and or Dalla will be involved.

Brienne meeting the Hound I think makes sense, although I'd like to think they'd address why the Hound and Arya will turn away from the Eyrie in some detail. But then, do we have time for Arya to leave the fray and make her way to the waters so she can board the ship? Dunno.

I expect a Sansa scene, but no idea what they'd roll with (as mentioned earlier, Harry may not appear or he may be fused already with Robin).

Bran, yes. Don't know if they can jazz it up anyway without some new revelations.

Dany getting her fire and blood stare on as usual, and certainly the drama with revealing the child's bones would be welcomed. Probably don't need to get into caging up the dragons right now though. Could be held back for the end moment, but I think the next scenes I mention has a bigger oomph factor...

Tyrion's journey needs to take some time since you have interactions with Jamie as well as Tywin to get through (and maybe Varys at some point). The way they've remolded Shae's character in the show would make it weird for her fate to happen as in the books, but if it must happen, so be it. And it probably beats the alternative of Shae becoming Tysha.

In any event, Tyrion putting the bolt into Tywin would be a Holy hell moment to end the season on, if they go that route. I used to be a fan of Lady Stoneheart as the season ending moment, but now the way this season has gone, don't see how it can fit in the general flow, and could make instead for a worthy S5E1 moment.

Things I don't expect? More Reek/Ramsay. Ironborn/Balon's death. Jorah. Margaery, or even Cersei.

Cersei's making out with Jaime in the preview, and talking bitterly. 

Main cast members who missed a finale, besides dead characters: S1 N/A
S2 Bronn/Jeor/Hound/Davos
S3 Petyr/Margaery/Bronn

Based on everything I've seen and read I can't help but feel like this episode has the potential to be my favorite one ever. It sounds like it's going to have everything.

In fact, it has me wondering if this is my own high point as far as the series goes. Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Dany riding Drogon moment, Jon's Julius Caesar experience, the two arrests/trials, and the two battles but I think this is probably the last of the main ones where I definitely feel like I have certain expectations. The others for me were RW/PW, Viper/Mountain duel, BoB, Lysa/Moon Door, and Ned's death.

I hope Bran & co still run into the wights. (They didn't see any Others in the books ,right? Just wights?

I don't really know where to put this, or if this is even a spoiler, but

the Game of Thrones wiki lists Rickon as appearing in season 4. It's a fan wiki, so I don't know if it means anything (probably not). Has anyone heard if Rickon will be in the finale?

• Love 1

Pete, there were some rumors of

a Stark kids montage at the end of the episode.

A bit cheesy maybe. But I could see it:

Sansa coming down from the Eyrie, Osha & Rickon reaching the Umbers, Arya seeing the Titan of Braavos, Bran and the children of the forest.

I like that idea. The wiki doesn't have Osha as being in season 4, so I didn't know if it would just be him, but I'd like to at least get a quick glimpse of them to know the show hasn't forgotten them the way the books have.

Tyrion's journey needs to take some time

It sounds like it's going to have everything.

This is actually my big concern, I remember them over stuffing an episode in S2 or S3 and the effect felt like Hop Scotch, they tried to cover everything and everyone and thus none of the story beats had the time they needed to breath and be affecting. But I think that episode was all "downer' moments, it would be very easy to montage all the triumphant or transitional moments (Jon named Lord Commander, Tyrion's escape, Dany and the Dragons, Sansa in the Vale, Rickon in Skagos, Bran in the Tree? (hee), Arya boarding a boat) and then ending on the stinger of Lady Stoneheart. The preview ends on the words Volar Mughilis so I think we will see Arya saying it to the ship captain.

Based on everything I've seen and read I can't help but feel like this episode has the potential to be my favorite one ever. It sounds like it's going to have everything.

In fact, it has me wondering if this is my own high point as far as the series goes. 

So much this. All the speculating we are doing about the things we hope are included vs not, but I agree that just given the things that are GUARANTEED to happen, this is going to be an A+ episode. 

Most episodes have just one or two euphoric moments, with narrative ebbs and flows, but to quote Barney Stinson, THIS SHOULD BE ALL RISE. 

I am powerfully confused about two things that may possibly happen though: 

1) The promo seemed to show two scenes with Cersei: one with her and Tywin, one with her and Tyrion. Given the sheer number of other things they have to cover in the episode, why on earth are they spending time on anything else ?! What will these scenes contribute? Are they just a way to build up Tywin a little more to increase the impact of his death? Emphasize how Jaime is betraying Cersei to save Tyrion? Are they back together, or is this going to take the place of that time in the White Tower as their big break up? 

Okay, I guess actually both of those things are okay things to spend time on. But they could kind of break the ALL RISE mold. :( 

2) That definitely looks like Brienne's shoulder armor in that shot of the Hound. I don't understand how this scene makes sense, I guess because I don't see how it could play it out in such a way that sends Arya off on her own, which we know has to happen. It looks like Brienne is going to fight the Hound, but why? Does she know who Arya is? If she fights the Hound for the right to keep Arya, how does Arya get out of that? Does she run away while they are fighting? I guess that would be a neat way to leave the fate of the Hound ambiguous, but it would mean we lose the scene where Arya denies the Hound mercy. Would they try to play Arya as being so emotionally scarred that she runs away from Brienne after the fight? I just don't get it. 

(edited)
2) That definitely looks like Brienne's shoulder armor in that shot of the Hound. I don't understand how this scene makes sense, I guess because I don't see how it could play it out in such a way that sends Arya off on her own, which we know has to happen. It looks like Brienne is going to fight the Hound, but why? Does she know who Arya is? If she fights the Hound for the right to keep Arya, how does Arya get out of that? Does she run away while they are fighting? I guess that would be a neat way to leave the fate of the Hound ambiguous, but it would mean we lose the scene where Arya denies the Hound mercy. Would they try to play Arya as being so emotionally scarred that she runs away from Brienne after the fight? I just don't get it. 

Brienne does know who Arya is, remember Hot Pie told her Arya was dressed as a boy and was in the company of the Hound. So when she meets the Hound with a boy, what's she gonna think?

There are plenty of ways to make it work, and keep in the denial of mercy thing.

Off the top of my head.

Brienne defeats the Hound in combat, and Arya stops her from finishing him off. The Hound asks for mercy, and Arya says no, going off with Brienne and Pod after Brienne says that she was Lady Catelyn's sworn sword. This will give Rory McCann a nice send off scene where he can swear at them as they slowly walk off.

Later on when they have gone a little bit down the road, maybe after they have stopped for the night, Pod says something about Tyrion, or Arya sees the friggin gaudy ass golden lion headed pommel of Brienne's sword (and remember she threw Joff's sword in the river, so she may be familiar with the practice of putting sigils on your swords.) In any case she's tipped off that she may well be in the company of Lannisters who are trying to take her back to King's Landing, so Arya bolts, maybe in the night after knocking Pod out who has taken the watch.

This can trigger a chase scene after Brienne and Pod wake up where they try and chase down Arya and it makes it look that they might just catch her.

Arya makes it to the sea and having no other options boards the ship to Braavos.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
Bran, yes. Don't know if they can jazz it up anyway without some new revelations.

I could see them using Bran to segue into a final montage sequence. If he meets Bloodraven and is told of his ability to see through space and time, I can imagine that his first request might be to see his family. We could get a look at each of his siblings in turn -- perhaps ending with Bran being the one to warg into Nymeria and pull his mother from the river.

• Love 1
(edited)

I could see them using Bran to segue into a final montage sequence. If he meets Bloodraven and is told of his ability to see through space and time, I can imagine that his first request might be to see his family. We could get a look at each of his siblings in turn -- perhaps ending with Bran being the one to warg into Nymeria and pull his mother from the river.

They would need to change (or perhaps drastically excelerate) his ability for that.

In the books he can't see everything, he can see through the eyes of the weirwoods.

He wouldn't be able to see Sansa or Arya in the Vale, where the weirwoods are few and far between. He might be able to see Theon at Winterfell (if that is where he and Ramsay are going) or Jon walking beyond the Wall.

Edited by Maximum Taco

full of father/son moments, GOT style:

Happy Father's Day! Celebrate with Dad and watch the Season 4 finale of Game of Thrones this Sunday at 9PM, only on HBO.

Fans have joked about the timing of the patricide episode, but it's hilarious that HBO is doing it too.

• Love 2