Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Part 4

Excited by the possibility of a new life, Tilly tries her best to avoid Lyle, who is planning something special for their anniversary. Sweat makes progress on the escape route, but feels like he's doing all the work. Matt likes the arrangement just fine.

• Love 1

Well things are about to kick into high gear! Which is good because I’m tired of the tedium of the digging, I get why it was necessary to show how difficult it was but I’d say four eps is enough of it, I m ready for the break out.

My claustrophobia was in high gear on this one. Wow. Just shows if these criminals could use their focus and drive for good they’d be millionaires. Sweats single mindedness in sawing thru using basically a nail file was impressive. 

When two convicted murderers tell you to bring a shotgun and a shovel on your “trip to Mexico” I’d say Tilley girl, you in danger. I felt for her poor hapless husband, he really is trying. Tilly seems somewhay mentally challenged in her emotional maturity, if I didn’t know how old she was I would say I was watching a lovesick teen. 

This series is so good, I can see why it’s already been nominated for a Golden Globe. 

• Love 16

Oh yeah.....the acting is first rate I just have to fast forward through all the "digging" stuff...Tilly is seriously mentally disabled I would say. I really feel sorry for her.  I wish they would get back to her interrogation though. God, Patricia must have gained 50 lbs for this part and she hasn't been skinny for years to begin with. (which I love)

• Love 9

The bleakness that surrounds Tilly is endless—her house, her clothes, her job, her marriage. She seems to have latched on to Matt and Sweat because they gave her something, no matter how squalid it all seems, that added a little some spark in her darkness. I feel nothing but pity for her. And poor Lyle. He tries so hard. :( 

It baffles me how no one ever walks in on her and either one of her lovers during the act. 

I couldn't take anymore of that initial pipe scene. I was getting second-hand claustrophobia watching it and I'm not even claustrophobic. 

2 hours ago, Drogo said:

I'd watch a whole series about Lyle.

In the media thread, there's a link to a very interesting article about the making of the show, the actual escape and the town.  This is from that article:

Lauer also interviewed Lyle Mitchell, who carried in food for inmates, and who talks like Jensen and Mitchell but also has some other pretty obvious issues (I couldn’t interview him either). When Lauer asked Lyle when he first heard about the escape, here’s what this current Industrial Training Supervisor at a state-funded maximum security prison had to say:

“We gettin’ ready to leave and we turn a cell phone on and all of a sudden we hed all kinda beep-beep-beep-beep all from my kids and family state troopers lookin’ for us. So my wife when she turned’a cell phone on she said, ‘Oh my God Matt and Sweat ex-scaped.’ Whaaaaaaat!? It must be why troopers wantin’ us.”

• Love 8
8 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

God, Patricia must have gained 50 lbs for this part and she hasn't been skinny for years to begin with. (which I love)

I was shocked at her body, it is great they got an actress who is willing to get real ugly (not Hollywood ugly where they just put on a bad wig or a fake nose). The way she holds her mouth and the expressions on her face, she is killing it. After being married to a Lyle type I can understand the need to cut loose and have some excitement, but do what I did and get divorced first. I am starting to feel sorry for Tilly because she is going about it the wrong way and this is not going to end well for her.

• Love 7

Tilly discussing the breakout with Matt right in front of the other prisoners. Right. Not an intellectual giant that one.

Were they really going to spend five years trying to break through the concrete? You almost have to admire that level of stick-to-itiveness.

It's hard to imagine how no one heard any of the noise Matt and Sweat were making when they were doing all that chipping and sawing for months. That prison must be incredibly noisy.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

In the media thread, there's a link to a very interesting article about the making of the show, the actual escape and the town.  This is from that article:

Lyle seems to be a little mentally challenged. So does Tilly though not as much as Lyle.

• Love 6

Tilly really walks that line between sympathetically pathetic, and self centered pathetic. She seems like she has some kind of mental health issues, or is just in a permanent state of arrested development. She acts like a love struck teenager, not an adult woman. Or maybe its just because she is rather emotionally and mentally slow, and its rare to see that really accurately portrayed like it is here. Even something that seems super obvious, like just saying "yeah, thats your anniversary present" to Lyle is too much for her, especially after a few drinks. She just seems to be so hopeless, that she really does see this as some kind of great romantic adventure, without the emotional capacity to see how much she is hurting her husband, or the intelligence to realize just how bad all of this is, and how badly all of this is going to go for her. 

Lyle comes off as rather slow as well, if in a different way than Tilly. I felt really bad for him, especially when he was trying to find the "best table" in an average hometown kind of restaurant, and then just sat there waiting for Tilly, while she was purposelessly avoiding him. Ideally she would ask him for a divorce if she is so unhappy, but she really doesent seem to see that as a real option. Maybe because having Lyle to sneak around on makes things more exciting, even if it hurts him? I might feel bad for Tilly, but I probably feel even worse for Lyle. He is really trying, and it even seems like he can tell that she is unhappy, but she just gives me nothing anymore. Its just really sad to watch.

Oh my God the claustrophobia! Thank God the hole is here, and we can finally get out of that hole! And it can add some action to the story, as while I am enjoying watching the lives of these characters, everything is so bleak and depressing, both in and outside of the prison, that I am ready to take things up a notch.

• Love 10
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:28 AM, tennisgurl said:

She seems like she has some kind of mental health issues

I've heard of a lot of sexual fetishes, none so disturbing to my own mental health as Tilly making Sweat suck on a breast while she calls him "my little boy" and he calls her "Mommy." 

Tilly's a few buns short of a barbecue.

• Love 12
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:28 AM, tennisgurl said:

I felt really bad for him, especially when he was trying to find the "best table" in an average hometown kind of restaurant, and then just sat there waiting for Tilly, while she was purposelessly avoiding him.

Did he end up at home with McDonalds on the table for them?   

On 12/12/2018 at 5:20 PM, atlantaloves said:

All I know is that actor Eric Lange doesn't look at all like the character he is playing...he in real life is a nice looking man...terrific makeup and teeth job...both he and Patricia are killing it on this series. 

Yes, his transformation into Lyle Mitchell is fantastic.

3ed469d9-4858-4589-b56a-7906f7ac9541_800_420.png

The real Lyle Mitchell:

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by TipseyGirl
  • Love 5
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Tilly discussing the breakout with Matt right in front of the other prisoners. Right. Not an intellectual giant that one.

Were they really going to spend five years trying to break through the concrete? You almost have to admire that level of stick-to-itiveness.

It's hard to imagine how no one heard any of the noise Matt and Sweat were making when they were doing all that chipping and sawing for months. That prison must be incredibly noisy.

They're both serving life sentences so when you look at it that way, 5 years is a pretty short amount of time.   Especially for Sweat, who seems pretty young.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:28 PM, Mannahatta said:

Tilly reminds me of a few women I've met over the course of my life. Sure, she comes across as pathetic at first, enough to elicit sympathy. But scratch the surface and underneath all that self-pity there's a self-centered sociopath, with no true sense of right and wrong. I don't feel sorry for her one bit.

Me neither.  She seems like a miserable person and while certain miserable people invite sympathy (such as poor Lyle) Tilly just comes across as a bad person with the way she treats everyone she's not getting something from.  Her whining, petulance and meanness make her insides match the ugliness of her outsides.

• Love 7