Type keyword(s) to search

As The World Turns - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

So many good actors had their start on soaps. It was good camera training. I wish I lived near by NYC as I’d be tempted to see a show a week. Lucky you to have seen him more than once. 

Many theater actors did both in NY.  They'd be on a soap for the money during the day. It was more of a regular gig. Then they'd do a play or musical at night.  I think this was especially true of the P&G soaps.

• Love 2

I have been rewatcing the early 90's of the show and it is just superb writing by Douglas Marland. I especially love Mary Ellen Stuart as Frannie Hughes.  She is just marvelous and she plays a much more assertive Frannie than Julianne Moore who was wonderful as well in the role. 

Does anybody know why the show decided to have Frannie and Sabrina no longer look alike anymore. I also adored the actress who played Sabrina after Julianne Moore left the role of Sabrina.  I wish we had seen more of her during the Douglas Marland era of the show.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
16 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Pearson80 where are you watching the old episodes? I’d love to go back and revisit them. They are like old friends to me. I had a thrill the other day when I made a comment on Martha Byrnes Twitter tweet and she gave me a like. 

On youtube, there are episodes from the early 90's here and there.. 

• Love 2

I spent last year watching years and years worth of ATWT episodes on YouTube. From before the year 2000, it’s a bit spotty with large chunks missing, but the years after that is fairly complete all the way through.

Just search “As the World Turns 2004” and you’ll get a playlist for that entire year’s worth of episodes. And obviously, change the year number for whichever one you’re going for.

• Love 2

I spent most of 2020 watching ATWT on You Tube.   Started  around 1987 and I think I was watching up to the fall of 2001 when I stopped.   It was at a point where the storylines were dragging and with the holidays approaching, I took a break and have yet to go back.  You can really tell the difference after Marland was gone.    ATWT was at its best in the 80s/90s.

• Love 6
On 10/4/2021 at 11:52 AM, sas616 said:

I spent most of 2020 watching ATWT on You Tube.   Started  around 1987 and I think I was watching up to the fall of 2001 when I stopped.   It was at a point where the storylines were dragging and with the holidays approaching, I took a break and have yet to go back.  You can really tell the difference after Marland was gone.    ATWT was at its best in the 80s/90s.

Douglas Marland was the best and I even enjoyed the Carolyne Crawford mystery that started out great but ended in a whimper.  A rare dud by Douglas but I recently learned that Darryl was supposed to have been the killer and that Frannie would have been right all along to suspect him but she would have had no proof.  However, the writers who took over for Douglas when he was ill did not follow his instructions regarding that story and they made someone else the killer.  I would have enjoyed seeing Frannie's reaction and poor Frannie she can never be happy with a guy.. Douglas loved to torture her but she was a fascinating heroine written beautifully by him and played by wonderful actresses.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 4

I have a real unpopular opinion and it is that I enjoyed Heather Rattray's Lily over Martha's. I thought she got the best writing due to Douglas writing for her.  I enjoyed him exploring her dark side briefly when she came back as Heather. I know that the fans hated it but I thought that Douglas was right in that Lily would have been different after what she experienced with Dusty, Holden and her husband that tried to kill her when Martha played her the first time. 

I enjoyed Lily exploring her dating options with other men other than Holden. I loved Heather's Lily with Caleb Linc and Sean.  I always thought that Holden limited Lily's potential and Lucinda was right in that aspect.  I thought Heather was fantastic during the time Holden disappeared, finding an amnesiac Holden, dealing with his rejection and the cherry on top for me was finding out the truth about Aaron's parentage specifically about Iva's role in that deception and Lucinda knowing about Holden being in New York for months and never telling her.  I always loved Lily's dynamic with both Iva and Lucinda and it is a shame that the show abandoned that after Douglas died. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 4
On 11/13/2021 at 11:32 AM, Pearson80 said:

I have a real unpopular opinion and it is that I enjoyed Heather Rattray's Lily over Martha's. I thought she got the best writing due to Douglas writing for her.  I enjoyed him exploring her dark side briefly when she came back as Heather. I know that the fans hated it but I thought that Douglas was right in that Lily would have been different after what she experienced with Dusty, Holden and her husband that tried to kill her when Martha played her the first time. 

I enjoyed Lily exploring her dating options with other men other than Holden. I loved Heather's Lily with Caleb Linc and Sean.  I always thought that Holden limited Lily's potential and Lucinda was right in that aspect.  I thought Heather was fantastic during the time Holden disappeared, finding an amnesiac Holden, dealing with his rejection and the cherry on top for me was finding out the truth about Aaron's parentage specifically about Iva's role in that deception and Lucinda knowing about Holden being in New York for months and never telling her.  I always loved Lily's dynamic with both Iva and Lucinda and it is a shame that the show abandoned that after Douglas died. 

MB's was the one I watched the most so I prefer hers I definitely liked her more than Noelle Beck's version. I can't comment on HR's version but I do agree Holden limited Lily in fact I preferred MB's Lily with PB's Damien. They're my fave ATWT pair followed by John/Lucinda.

• Love 2
On 11/28/2021 at 7:49 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

MB's was the one I watched the most so I prefer hers I definitely liked her more than Noelle Beck's version. I can't comment on HR's version but I do agree Holden limited Lily in fact I preferred MB's Lily with PB's Damien. They're my fave ATWT pair followed by John/Lucinda.

The only time that I liked Martha's version of Lily was when she was with Damian but that went off the rails due to Holden's obsession with Lily and Lily not doing anything to stop Holden from interfering in her marriage to Damian.  That pissed me off. Heather's Lily was so patient and forgiving with Holden when he was constantly rejecting her and treating her like shit. Plus, he was crushing over Julie and that doctor that was treating him for his amnesia in front of Lily. Martha's Lily should have been a bit angry with Holden for now expecting her to go back with him when Damian was such a great husband who gave her love and understanding when she was at her lowest.  Caleb was constantly throwing in Holden's face  about how badly he treated Lily when he came back as an amnesiac.  

I also hated that Martha's Lily being a songstress and it seemed that Douglas made Lily a singer to lure Martha back in the role of Lily.  Martha hated Lily having been a business woman when Heather played her,  I preferred Lily being a confident business woman when Heather played her.  I did think that Martha was awesome when she came back bitter and resentful of Iva and Lucinda for their lies.  I saw a lot of Heather's Lily in her performance..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
On 12/1/2021 at 6:53 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

I wonder if there are any clips of this I would like to see it of HR's Lily

Reveal spoiler

There are lot of clips of Heather's Lily.  Go on youtube and you will find them.. She came on the show in November 1989 during Thanksgiving and left in Christmas in 1992.. 1992 was Douglas final full year on the show before he died..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
On 11/26/2021 at 9:48 AM, ByaNose said:

Lisa Brown who portrayed Iva Snyder has passed away. I’ll never forget when she had a pitch fork to Josh as she screamed out that Lily was her daughter while Lily was standing right there. It was soooooo good. Douglas Maryland loved writing for her on GL and then created the role of Iva for her. #RIP

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/soap-fave-dies-at-67/

So sad.

I loved her as Nola and all her fantasies on Guiding Light. She died so close to Michael Tylo (Quint). 

But she was an absolute powerhouse as Iva on ATWT. I still remember the Lily's paternity reveal scenes in the barn. She had this perfect mix of knowing when to be quiet and still and when to erupt in ferocity.

• Love 5
On 12/6/2021 at 10:26 AM, CountryGirl said:

So sad.

I loved her as Nola and all her fantasies on Guiding Light. She died so close to Michael Tylo (Quint). 

But she was an absolute powerhouse as Iva on ATWT. I still remember the Lily's paternity reveal scenes in the barn. She had this perfect mix of knowing when to be quiet and still and when to erupt in ferocity.

Exactly! Lisa was always so good and had chemistry with everybody.  Iva absolutely loved Lily despite the circumstances with her conception.  I have been watching a lot of clips of the show on youtube and I was so surprise to see Iva still dealing with her rape by Josh in a therapy session during the Aaron paternity storyline . It was a quiet scene but so powerful due to Lisa Brown's superb acting.  It was why Douglas Marland was such a great writer, nothing in his writing happens by chance, he always shows his characters still dealing with their past trauma and how it still affects them in their current storyline.  He did the same thing with Frannie during the Carolyn Crawford storyline.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 4
On 12/7/2021 at 11:39 PM, Pearson80 said:

It was why Douglas Marland was such a great writer, nothing in his writing happens by chance, he always shows his characters still dealing with their past trauma and how it still affects them in their current storyline. 

Douglas Marland was the best soap opera writer ever as far as I'm concerned.  I would rewatch his entire tenure as head writer if I could.  I started watching ATWT on a daily basis late 1986.  From that point to when he died I don't think I have ever watched a better soap opera.  His characters were always so real.  None of them were perfect. The show was never the same after he died.  I stuck with it about another ten years but it was never the same.

• Love 10

Patricia Bruder (Ellen) will be on The Locher Room on April 1st. I was curious how old she was because I know she started out as Penny’s friend but she seemed to be aged up to be a friends with Nancy. Anyway, she is now 86 years young. While down the rabbit hole I see that Don Hastings is 87, Eileen Fulton is 88 and, Kathryn Hayes is also 88. They were all great even till the end ATWT. Although, I think Patricia Bruder had left or was written out several years before. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

She always said kiddo.

Yes, and that was the moment that whoever she was saying it to knew that they'd seriously screwed up and was about to get a tongue lashing.

• Love 8

I am re-watching the Angel Lange story and it is just Douglas Marland at his best with so many twists and turns. It is disturbing sad heartbreaking and so ahead of it's time.  I also loved Angel's evolution throughout her run on the show.. 

Speaking of Angel, I noticed that Angel and Heather Rattray's Lily have a lot of chemistry.  It was really noticeable during the time that they lived together when Holden disappeared during the Aaron storyline.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2

https://www.soapsindepth.com/posts/one-life-to-live/soap-alum-forbes-march-arrested

Soap Alum Forbes March Arrested

Former soap star Forbes March was arrested in Hudson County, New York, on March 2 after he and another man were caught stealing used cooking oil at a restaurant. According to the Ulster Police Department, March and his accomplice, Oscar Guardado, were charged with grand larceny.

The incident occurred at Michael’s Diner, where March and Guardado siphoned used cooking oil from a storage container at the rear of the restaurant. According to the police, the storage container is owned by Buffalo Biodiesel and had an estimated value of over $1,000.

The theft of cooking oil has risen in recent years because it can be converted to biodiesel, an alternative to petroleum diesel. While renewable biodiesel can be used for transportation fuel and heating fuel, the grease can also be used in soaps, shampoos, detergents, and more.

March is best known to daytime audiences for his run as ONE LIFE TO LIVE’s Nash Brennan, the role he played from 2005 to 2008. The actor’s pairing with Bree Williamson’s Jessica was a hit with viewers, and their characters were one of soapdom’s popular supercouples at the time. Before his time in Llanview, the actor played ALL MY CHILDREN’s Scott Chandler from 1998-2000, and following his OLTL run, he briefly moved over to AS THE WORLD TURNS as Mason Jarvis in 2009. March’s character, the professor who was Noah’s advisor at the Oakdale University film program, was intended to spice up the soap’s gay storyline, but the Noah/Luke/Mason triangle was dropped before it ever got off the ground.

March went on to appear in a handful of DEGRASSI: THE NEXT GENERATION episodes in 2010 before retiring from show business and forming New York Firewood Company, a wood supplier for restaurants and private residences, based out of his small farm in the Catskill Mountains.

Both March and Guardado were charged with grand larceny in the fourth degree and are scheduled to appear in Ulster Town Court at a later date, said the Ulster PD’s Facebook post.

• Mind Blown 1

https://deadline.com/2023/03/forbes-march-oil-theft-charge-response-frivolous-charges-1235300209/#comments

Forbes March Responds To Oil Theft Allegation: Ex-Soap Star Says “Poorly Marked” Container Led To Misunderstanding And “Frivolous Charges”

EXCLUSIVE: An attorney for Forbes March, the former star of such soaps as One Life to Live and All My Children who was arrested earlier this month in New York State for the alleged theft of used cooking oil, has responded to the charge in an exclusive statement to Deadline saying that March operates a legitimate oil collection service and that a “poorly marked and seemingly abandoned” container was mistaken for one of the containers legally serviced by March’s company.

“While not readily apparent to Forbes that day due to the poor markings,” reads the statement released by attorney Jared K. Hart, “one of the containers in fact allegedly belonged to Buffalo Biodiesel. Approximately 90 gallons of oil, only a portion of the oil collected that evening, allegedly came from the Biodiesel container that appeared abandoned and contained mostly dirty rainwater that would later have to be separated out.

“There was never an intent to steal nor permanently deprive another company of their alleged cooking oil,” the statement continues.

March is expected to appear in an Ulster court to formally answer the charge on March 28.

March and another man were arrested in Hudson County, New York, earlier this month and charged with grand larceny in the fourth degree for the alleged theft of used cooking oil from an Ulster, New York, restaurant called Michael’s Diner. (Used cooking oil can be used to manufacture biofuels, and oil theft has been on the rise in recent years.)

According to an Ulster Police Department report, the value of the oil exceeded $1,000, hence the larceny charge.

But March’s lawyer says that the relatively small amount of oil taken from the Buffalo Biodiesel container is worth at most $300, and that March immediately offered to pump the oil back into the container but that the oil was taken into custody by the police.

According to the statement, March, who owns and operates a firewood delivery company based out of his farm in the Catskill Mountains that provides services to restaurants, purchased an existing used oil collection route in early February as a supplement to his existing business.

“Forbes’ existing business had the infrastructure in place to segue into the biodiesel collection market,” the statement reads. “Michaels Diner was on that purchased route.”

“Unbeknownst to Forbes, another company called Buffalo Biodiesel also had a container at Michaels Diner and apparently had not serviced this restaurant in over six (6) months; yet this restaurant had been regularly serviced by the company Forbes bought the route from. At Forbes’ first visit to the location, several containers were present in which Forbes was led to believe were all his containers. The containers were poorly marked and seemingly abandoned but oil had been stored in them. The owner confirmed with Forbes that day that the oil was there for him to collect. All of the containers present, except for one, were properly stored for Forbes to collect.”

March’s attorney writes that the legal case against his client “is nothing more than a civil matter trumped up to be made to look criminal because a competitor in the biodiesel market failed in their obligations to service their customer.”

Deadline has reached out to Buffalo Biodiesel and will update this post with a response. The company routinely tweets near-daily reports of thefts from its oil containers; a retweet of Deadline’s previous article about March is pinned atop the company’s Twitter page.

In the attorney statement, Hart describes March as “a contributing member to society his entire life and has never had any issues with law enforcement. His goal in running this newly formed business was to contribute to the alternate energy resources available and he was in a unique position to be able to do so. We are disappointed that Forbes’ efforts as a volunteer with children, refugees, the arts, as a first responder and more will forever be overshadowed by these frivolous charges.”

The statement concludes with, “We appreciate the privacy the press has extended to Forbes’ family and look forward to putting this matter behind Forbes as he continues with his legitimate business activities and public service.”

As an actor, March had roles on various daytime serials beginning with All My Children in 1999, then One Life to Live from 2005-08 and on As the World Turns in 2009. Other TV credits include the Canadian sci-fi series Mutant X, Degrassi: The Next Generation and the 2010 TV movie Degrassi Takes Manhattan. He retired from acting before starting his restaurant service company in New York’s Catskill Mountain region.

The attorney statement in its entirety is as follows:

In early February, Forbes purchased an existing used oil collection route through a known business listing service to supplement another of Forbes’ existing businesses which also provides goods and services to
restaurants. Forbes’ existing business had the infrastructure in place to segway into the biodiesel collection market. Michaels Diner was on that purchased route.

Part of the collection process involves placing specific containers at restaurants for the oil to be stored and then picked up. Containers had been present at Michaels Diner for months preceding the purchase of the route by Forbes. The manager of Michaels Diner has confirmed that his diner was in fact a customer of the business. Unbeknownst to Forbes, another company called Buffalo Biodiesel also had a container at Michaels Diner and apparently had not serviced this restaurant in over six (6) months; yet this restaurant had been regularly serviced by the company Forbes bought the route from. At Forbes’ first visit to the location, several containers were present in which Forbes was led to believe were all his containers. The containers were poorly marked and seemingly abandoned but oil had been stored in them. The owner confirmed with Forbes that day that the oil was there for him to collect. All of the containers present, except for one, were properly stored for Forbes to collect.

While not readily apparent to Forbes that day due to the poor markings, one of the containers in fact allegedly belonged to Buffalo Biodiesel. Approximately 90 gallons of oil, only a portion of the oil collected that evening, allegedly came from the Biodiesel container that appeared abandoned and contained mostly dirty rainwater that would later have to be separated out.

There was never an intent to steal nor permanently deprive another company of their alleged cooking oil. The oil was offered to be pumped back in immediately and is in fact currently being held by law enforcement. The market value of the alleged oil removed from the Buffalo Biodiesel container is at most $300.00. The facts and circumstances are extremely overblown, and this is nothing more than a civil matter trumped up to be made to look criminal because a competitor in the biodiesel market failed in their obligations to service their customer.

Forbes has been a contributing member to society his entire life and has never had any issues with law enforcement. His goal in running this newly formed business was to contribute to the alternate energy resources available and he was in a unique position to be able to do so. We are disappointed that Forbes’ efforts as a volunteer with children, refugees, the arts, as a first responder and more will forever be overshadowed by these frivolous charges.

We appreciate the privacy the press has extended to Forbes’ family and look forward to putting this matter behind Forbes as he continues with his legitimate business activities and public service.

This is so heartbreaking. Elizabeth Hubbard paid for years for a Long-Term Care policy which had an “elimination” period of 90 days so she never got access to appropriate funds in her last days.

Exclusive: Famous Soap Opera Star's Family Shares Frustration Over Long-Term Care Policy

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/investigations/nbc-ct-responds/exclusive-famous-soap-opera-stars-family-shares-frustration-over-long-term-care-policy/3032493/

Insurers have no heart.

• Sad 4