Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Yeah I agree. Barry was so selfish and it boggles my mind. CL looks so good fighting as Sara I regret that she won't be the BC on Arrow, stunts really did take a dive in S3.

• Love 3
(edited)

Still don't like that Joe makes it sound like the Flash is better than Arrow. I think the promo solidifies my decision on no longer watching the Flash.

Seriously. He says that in the same ep where Barry does something epically stupid, and then however many eps later does something epically selfish and also stupid. IIRC, he was insinuating that Oliver would've left those criminals to die, which he wouldn't have? C'mon, Joe! 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3

But it's easy to save a friend's life. It's harder to take down criminals without hurting them. I'm sure as a good cop, Joe can't forget Oliver used to kill bad guys (and apparently Lance didn't either)

Joe's whole argument about Barry being the better hero in that ep was stupid, IMO. Barry was upset that Cold took advantage of him when he tried to manipulate Cold into helping him, when the only reason that worked was because Barry was a moron. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows that when a criminal agrees to help you in exchange for something, you don't give that criminal what he's asked for until he completes the job. 

And then, of course, Barry goes on to do the dumbest and most selfish thing ever with Joe's support, ahaha. Oh, show.

• Love 4

I don't really understand why it matters if he was married vs being a long time partner. 

It's just weird I never met someone who refers a marriage as a long term relationship, I mean yes it is a relationship but... I don't I guess it shocked me a bit cause it was never mentioned as a marriage and there is nothing online about it. and I did listen to the guy on girl podcast last year, where it was not, to my recollection referred to as a marriage.

And I have no idea why this bugs me..

• Love 1

I found out about my Dad's ex-wife when I was in my teens. They had been married for 7 years. Prior to finding out, I had found an yearbook of his from high school and there was a photo of him and girl and he told it was just a girl he dated. Imagine my surprise when I found out that was his wife.

Sometimes its just easier to put it in a box.

To be fair, I'm sure Joe is more than a little bit biased, since he raised Barry and all. And he doesn't know jack about Oliver aside from the news and police reports.

Like you, I understand why Joe would be biased, but what I can't understand is why of all the dialogue about Barry being a hero over the span of 23 episodes, TBTB had to use lines that undermine Oliver's hero status in what is obviously a major promo. They shouldn't have to compare Barry to Oliver to solidify his hero status.

• Love 11
(edited)

He talked a bit about it in the Girl on Guy podcast with Aisha Tyler last year. He just didn't specifically refer to it as a marriage, which really isn't that big of a deal. It was clear he felt bad about how the relationship ended so I can't blame him for not broadcasting his personal life in detail to the world.

That was a great interview and I hope they do another one. I'd kind of wondered about his ex because he mentions her a lot and he was clearly devastated by their break-up, even offering to give up acting and go back to selling insurance if it would salvage their relationship. So glad he's in such a great place now.

ETA: Now I understand why a lawyer got involved when he drunk-emailed his ex. (It was a bit disconcerting that he'd written something so awful that his "girlfriend" had had to call a lawyer.)

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 2

I loved that interview. Which further proves A point I think with Oliver and Felicity. In the interview he said that the dinner scene in the pilot was the most loved scene by was it the director? Apart from you know the taking down of the three guys and putting on the suit. They like it when someone is organic that captures the audience's attention. We knew that Oliver was going to be a vigilante by the episodes voiceover monologue. We didn't know about Felicity Smoak capturing people's attentions so quick. Same with Diggle.

• Love 1

I loved that interview. Which further proves A point I think with Oliver and Felicity. In the interview he said that the dinner scene in the pilot was the most loved scene by was it the director? Apart from you know the taking down of the three guys and putting on the suit. They like it when someone is organic that captures the audience's attention. We knew that Oliver was going to be a vigilante by the episodes voiceover monologue. We didn't know about Felicity Smoak capturing people's attentions so quick. Same with Diggle.

I think he said he thought the favorite scene will be the three guys or the suit, but was pleased when the director (or was it Glen Winters) said it was the dinner scene, the reason for this- if i remember the interview (it's been almost a day..) - he said was because people get understand and accept the hero when they are able to connect to him, and the way for that is through the people the hero loves- he's family, friends and so forth. pretty much he said the exact same thing we've all been saying since Moira died, and every single person on the show, besides Diggle and Felicity has donned on a mask. or as Sara put it "we need people in out lives who don't wear [masks]"

• Love 3

I remember someone saying they wanted to do the crossover like a big annual holiday event like they do with Television in the UK where for example that instead of there being absolutely NOTHING of interest on TV on Christmas Day they pack it with special shows from beloved shows.   

I still don't see them being bold enough to actually program something on a holiday but maybe the week before? 

• Love 2

And fans can expect some "surprises" when it comes to Felicity this upcoming season, with Mericle teasing, "We'll have some surprises in terms of her actual ambitions beyond the relationship...I think she likes what they do. She has ambitions to be her own version of a superhero."

YES. I approve of this

• Love 11
(edited)

YES. I approve of this

SA said today at an interview that there's going to be a shift in dynamic between Oliver and Felicity, where previously Oliver was kind of restless, but he's really at peace emotionally at the beginning of the season, and it's Felicity who's restless. I think she's going to be the one who wants to go back to Starling and get back to heroing. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 17

Apparently the new suit being sleeveless was SA's idea.

"Once the design was finished, we shared it with Stephen and Stephen had a really great suggestion," executive producer Marc Guggenheim tells E! News. "He's like, 'I'm probably going to regret saying this when the winter comes, but what about making it sleeveless like the comics?' And I'll be honest, I was skeptical. I wasn't sure. It looks good in the comics, but I wasn't sure how it was going to look on Stephen. But man, it's amazing!"

http://www.eonline.com/news/675257/arrow-just-debuted-an-all-new-superhero-suit-for-oliver-queen-get-scoop-on-the-new-look

(edited)

Sooo... given the overjoyed reaction from some of the fans over the (impractical) sleevelessness of the new suit, can I go around calling the costume change "fan service"? ;)

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 11
(edited)

Arrow Gets a Makeover: See His Season 4 Look!
Matt Richenthal at July 12, 2015 7:32 am
http://www.tvfanatic.com/2015/07/arrow-gets-a-makeover-see-his-season-4-look/

This new getup signals a major transformation Stephen Amell's main character.

“We’ve always said the progression for Oliver is very much from the Arrow to Green Arrow,” executive producer Greg Berlanti said at the show's panel. “This is first real stop in that direction."

As for what we can expect when Arrow Season 4 kicks off on October 7? It won't suddenly be a comedy, but...

“When the season starts, he’s in much a better place. He’s happy. He’s in love," producer Andrew Kreisberg teased.

"That feeling infuses all the characters. There’s a little bit more fun [and] more humor.”

arrow-season-4-costume.jpg

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Season 4: Oliver Queen finally goes 'Green'

Laura Hurley  July 11, 2015 11:55 PM MSThttp://www.examiner.com/article/arrow-season-4-oliver-queen-finally-goes-green

Laura Hurley is so freaking awesome! I love her evaluation of Oliver's new suit--she vacillates from admiration of the fit and snugness of the leather pants to snarkily pondering whether there will be a special pocket for lotion to apply on his bare arms when enemies capitalize on his sleeveless-ness or when he gets road rash! I think she pretty sums up what many have posted here about the new suit.

• Love 3

Laura Hurley is so freaking awesome! I love her evaluation of Oliver's new suit--she vacillates from admiration of the fit and snugness of the leather pants to snarkily pondering whether there will be a special pocket for lotion to apply on his bare arms when enemies capitalize on his sleeveless-ness or when he gets road rash! I think she pretty sums up what many have posted here about the new suit.

I agree with all of the above - and not just as regards Oliver, but Stephen Amell. I think the sleeves will last only as long as it takes him to realize how many scrapes, cuts and bruises the old suit was saving him from, and how much extra makeup it will involve to cover all that up.

The suit looks good (I've said it before - the only bad look for Stephen on the show was the buttoned up shirt + cargo shorts), and yes, it looks like the comics and the animated series. But those don't have to deal with an actual human being being scraped and banged around in it. Even if in show he gets a gunshot wound or whatever - he'd not going to inspire much confidence as the Green Arrow with bandages all over his arms.

• Love 6
(edited)

Hopefully the winters in Canada will be kind because he will be running around a lot outside in an outfit without any sleeves... I don't really like the new outfit especially the arms and shoulder parts. It reminds me of a little turtle. 

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 1

Besides the winter weather, I've got a couple other concerns about the 'no-sleeves' suit:

1. Will this affect the stuntwork/stuntmen? Now Amell and his doubles arms will exposed, possibly making it easier for them to get cuts/bruises/etc. If Oliver does get injured, I bet it won't be on his arms this season.
  2. Now Amell (and his stuntmen too, I guess) will have to really keep those biceps in shape all through shooting. More work?
(edited)

Articles include cast quotes from the Arrow panel at SDCC...

'Arrow' Season 4: 'Oliver's Totally at Peace'
Robert Chan July 11, 2015
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/arrow-season-4-comic-con-123853986795.html

5 Things We Learned from the ‘Arrow’ Comic-Con Panel
JULY 12, 2015
http://fangirlish.com/5-things-we-learned-from-the-arrow-comic-con-panel/

Arrow @ Comic-Con: Oliver Gets a Heroic New Look, Diggle (Finally) Suits Up, Anarky Reigns and More
By Vlada Gelman / July 11 2015, 8:18 PM PDT

http://tvline.com/2015/07/11/arrow-comic-con-2015-season-4-spoilers/

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Summary of Hypable interviews with MG, WM, DR, SA and EBR at SDCC 2015...

‘Arrow’ at SDCC: Talking dynamics in the ‘Arrow’ cave and Damien Darhk
Kristen Kranz 6:10 pm, July 12, 2015
http://www.hypable.com/arrow-sdcc-arrow-cave-damien-darhk/

Wendie spoke up first to let us know that Olicity is in fact going to be together when we get back in the premiere, and they intend for them to be together for a while and explore those dynamics. “They’re gonna be very happy at the start of season four, and what we really want to do this season is explore what it’s like to try to have a relationship in the Arrow cave, and outside.”

Marc then gave us some information about what we can expect from Damien Darhk, and explained how their incarnation may look a little bit different from what you may have seen in the comics. “We’re going older than the Damien from the comics. It’s in keeping quite frankly, with our normal philosophy by this point, which is we use the comic books as a starting off point, not an ending point. Our version of Damien is different from the other kids of big bads we’ve had on the show before. He’s got a malevolence that Malcolm just did not have.”

We were also happy to get a chance to talk to David Ramsey, who had a lot to say about how things will be between Oliver and Diggle when Oliver and Felicity return from their time away. Diggle has some concerns, but they don’t come from a place of anger. David said, “Diggle is past being angry, it’s not just about he kidnapped my wife and left my child at home. He was pissed, but he just understands that this man does things a certain way, and that’s fine, he just can’t work with it. It’s gonna take some time to mend it.” While that may sound ominous, he followed it up with assuring us that, “Both these men love each other. Yes, they do.”

We were happy to welcome Stephen Amell, the one and only Oliver Queen, to our table, and he let us behind the curtain about all of those favorite Olicity moments that we’ve drooled over the last 3 seasons. When we asked about how he and Emily Bett Rickards take time to make sure that their relationship comes off as realistic and natural as possible through little touches, Stephen talked about one example, “I think when I left in 3×09 last year, I don’t think it was scripted that I kissed her on the forehead.” He went on to say that, “With Emily, it always tended to be little physical things, like, her touching my shoulder, or her mentioning that she dyes her hair.” With a pairing as important to the fandom as Olicity, it’s comforting to know that the actors are as dedicated to make it special as we are excited to watch for each little touch.
Lastly, we got a couple of minutes with Emily Bett Rickards, and she reminded us that, “I feel that she’s gonna start off lighter, which is gonna be great, because I feel that she emotionally exhausted herself last season.” We couldn’t agree more. Last season really took it’s toll on Felicity, and we couldn’t be more excited to see her get a few happy moments before the next big bad puts her on his radar.

We were also interested to know what she thought about Felicity’s being a different kind of strong woman on TV, and what it means to her to portray that difference. “I think it’s authentic to her and women out there. We can all be strong and we can do it a hundred different ways.” We couldn’t agree more, and it’s encouraging to see that characters like Laurel and Thea can go out and do the physical ass-kicking, while Felicity can stay in the Arrow cave and do some digital ass-kicking, and no one sees any of them as weak or docile.

She went on to express that, “You don’t need to be the patriarchal definition of strong to be strong,” which is one sentiment we can definitely get behind.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

From ComicBook.com interview with AK at SDCC 2015...

Will there be more crossovers with Arrow?

We do have more crossovers planned. Both episode eight for Flash and Arrow in December will be a two-part crossover, like we did last year. That will be the big crossover event, but then, like last year, we’ll have the mini crossovers where just one character will show up. These shows are linked, and if there’s an attack in Central City, we’ll hear about it in Starling City. When we first started, we were afraid that we’d implode by expanding too much. Instead, they seem to lift each other up.

Flash Season Two: EP Andrew Kreisberg Confirms New Rogues & Grodd's Return
Andrew Steinbeiser- 07/11/2015
http://comicbook.com/2015/07/12/flash-season-two-ep-andrew-kriesberg-confirms-new-rogues-grodds-/

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Arrow’s’ David Ramsey ships Doliver over Olicity
BY CHRIS E. HAYNER AT 12:07 PM ON JUL 12, 2015
http://zap2it.com/2015/07/arrows-david-ramsey-ships-doliver-olicity/

Before Oliver and Diggle can find the love again, there’s some very serious trust issues they’re going to have to get past. “He’s a military guy, Diggle. He can’t trust the guy in the field next to him, it’s that simple,” Ramsey says. “He trusts Malcolm Merlyn (John Barrowman), a known psychopath, before he trusted his own team. He put Malcolm Merylin at the head of the League of Assassins, one of the greatest and most nefarious military organizations ever created — maybe not the wisest move in the world.”

He continues, “These types of moves, I think, Diggle has a problem with. [He’s] not angry, he just can’t trust him.”
Luckily, fans won’t have to wait long for Oliver and Diggle to reconcile. “They will be getting to that mending very quickly in Season 4.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

From SuperHeroHype's recap of the WB/DC panels at SDCC 2015...

The biggest panel and the funniest cast was the one for “Arrow” which began with the Arrow himself, Stephen Amell, appearing on stage in his new costume (sleaveless with new shoulder and armguards) and in character to introduce the evening and let all of the fans of the series know that they had not failed.

The new costume, much closer to the classic comic appearance of the Green Arrow, was the beginning of a trend of comments noting that the show, and Oliver, was intentionally moving towards eventually becoming the classic incarnation of the Green Arrow [though I’m assuming without the Arrow-light or the Arrow-car – yes, those were real things once] and as such would become much more light-hearted than in past years. Producer Sarah Schecter noted that Oliver would actually joke in the Arrow-cave [which will return] this season.

Costumes in fact were the name of the game for the “Arrow” panel as David Ramsey revealed he would be getting his costume – a set of black padded leather and a visored helmet – this season [but would have to shave off the beard] while co-stars Katie Cassidy and Willa Holland jointly cheered at being able to join their masked co-stars.

“I had tears of joy when I tried on the [Speedy] costume for the first time,” Holland said, while Cassidy noted that she had been waiting three years, ever since she was cast, to put on the Black Canary leathers.

Though the person who seemed most concerned about costuming was John Barrowman, who just wanted to make sure he could keep the Ra’s al Guhl ring, no matter what.

Along with new costumes and a new status quo (though expect Oliver Queen’s retirement to not last very long), the series will continue to introduce new characters. While the season’s villain will be Neal McDonough’s Damien Darhk and HIVE, Queen and his team will also deal with classic Batman character Anarky, and Felicity will have to deal with classic Justice Society character Mr. Terrific, who she will have to learn to work with. The producers also revealed that they had long wanted to add an LGBT character to the cast and Mr. Terrific fit the bill for that character to a tee.

There was a visible sense of relief from the panel at not having to deal with secret identities among the major characters, a fact of superhero life which no one who makes the series likes particularly as it reduces ways in which different characters can relate and undoing it opens up new pairings such as Rickards bossing Barrowman’s Merlyn around.

Warner Bros. Television and DC Entertainment Comic-Con Presentation Recap
JOSHUA STARNES JUL 12, 2015
http://www.superherohype.com/news/347323-warner-bros-television-and-dc-entertainment-comic-con-presentation-recap

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Arrow Will Feature Magic In Season 4

BY ADAM HOLMES  7 HOURS AGO
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Arrow-Feature-Magic-Season-4-72985.html

During the press round tables at San Diego Comic-Con, Arrow star Stephen Amell was asked about challenges his character will be facing in Season 4, and he said it will delve more into magic both in the present day and the flashbacks. According to Amell:

"So what we are dealing with this year, and I wouldn’t say it’s as concrete a theme as we had last year, when it’s like, what’s the theme? Identity. An element that we are introducing this year is magic, mysticism, and Oliver alludes very early on this season that this is something that he has seen before, so clearly that will play into this year’s flashbacks for him, but it’s an interesting wrinkle."

Amell also added that he suspects these magical developments will affects the other major characters as well.... (read more)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

This is an interesting analysis of that Arrow S4 poster at SDCC...

Is This The Arrow Season 4 Poster?
Posted July 9, 2015 by by Dan Wickline
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/09/is-this-the-arrow-season-4-poster/

We have a picture of a teaser poster for Arrow Season 4. Not sure if this is an official poster, but we see some interesting things here. Oliver Queen looks like he is in the standard Arrow costume but it’s hard to tell with the glare. Felicity is facing Oliver but John Diggle has his back to Oliver which is appropriate with how the season ended. Captain Lance is in the back with his arms folded showing his disapproving attitude. On the other side we see Black Canary and Speedy watching Oliver’s back. We also see Malcolm Merlyn turned away from everyone. Add in the blue skies above which is interesting as every other season poster has been done at night… and then you have the fire creeping in from below.

If it is the official poster, then it has a very different look and feel than previous ones and that goes with the idea that the season will be very different as well.

ArrowS4.jpg

Edited by tv echo

So Diggle's costume is a mix between Judge Dread and Robo Cop. While Ray was a mix between Tron and Iron Man. Then we have Buckles. 

Did they get a new costume designer for Season 3?

• Love 1

Too much I wanted to quote, so I recommend just reading the whole article (includes lots of S4 info revealed by producers and cast at SDCC)...

Arrow Season 4 Will Feature Someone We Haven’t Seen In Ages—Oliver Queen

Charlie Jane Anders  7/12/15 3:29pm

http://io9.com/arrow-season-4-will-feature-someone-we-haven-t-seen-in-1717377942

I was enjoying that writeup until I got to the part where the author says Oliver is, "not surprisingly, Oliver is still the more restless and angst-ridden of the two." I'm pretty sure both EBR and SA have intimated that Felicity is the restless one, while Oliver is the more settled one. 

• Love 3

I've not really watched many of the interviews but in the ones I have, the misogyny in the questions asked sickens me. It's strange how most of them were directed at EBR too. KC should probably count herself lucky that she's not the love interest anymore because I can only assume that's why EBR is being treated like this. Oh, and the fact that Felicity doesn't wear a costume. Smh.

• Love 2