Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

I'll be glad if it inspires some much needed creative changes. I feel like there's so much potential being squandered. Do people not watch fun shows anymore? Is that why they're so set against giving us anything enjoyable?

• Love 7

Sad to say but I doubt very much anything will inspire creative changes. I thought they would have learned last season about what worked and what didn't and this season just proved otherwise. I don't see s4 being any different in that respect. But I do hope it will be less depressing. It has been so morbid since 301, it didn't really stand a chance. It affected the tone for the whole season.

• Love 1

I'll be glad if it inspires some much needed creative changes.

It probably won't. MG has been so dismissive of negative feedback, so convinced everything the writers have written is brilliant, and so hell-bent on repeatedly "blowing up the show" that I'm not sure even negative feedback from bloggers and critics will help change things at this point.

• Love 4

Sad to say but I doubt very much anything will inspire creative changes. I thought they would have learned last season about what worked and what didn't and this season just proved otherwise. I don't see s4 being any different in that respect. But I do hope it will be less depressing. It has been so morbid since 301, it didn't really stand a chance. It affected the tone for the whole season.

Well MG said they are going for a Balance next season so here's to hoping!

• Love 2

I think if it weren't for the spin-off I would write off Season 4. I'm hoping that without the burden of trying to be a Superhero team-up show,  because the IIC fanboy too much, and to the launching pad for yet another spin-off Arrow might again find it's balance.

Also hopefully MG attention and show undermining tendencies will be directed elsewhere.

• Love 4

That reviewer basically doesn't like Arrow and barely liked it in season 2 Lmao. I'm guessing the comments were "felicity and olicity are ruining the show!" because that's what it was like in the past

I almost feel bad for him, having to write reviews about a show he so clearly despises. I think his problem is that he wishes the show was something else entirely. He often makes some insightful observations, but I can understand how, once something ceases to appeal to you - or even barely appealed to you to begin with - it's difficult to see past that. I'm kinda sad that he is gone so deep in the not-like end, because those were the only reviews I read at first when i started watching the show.

The irony is that they said they wanted to take the better parts of season 1 and 2 :/ I guess they thought those were the OTT drama and a villain with no valid motivation?

• Love 1
(edited)

Mordechai and Corrina both loved Nyssa and Laurel (Canary Cry and all) in this episode, but they both hate this Ra's...

Same Geek Channel: ‘Arrow’ Episode 321 “Al Sah-him”
Posted on 1 May, 2015 by Mordechai Luchins
http://geekdad.com/2015/05/arrow321/

You have to love how Ra’s was trying to sell the League of Assassins as misunderstood last episode, and then drops this little bomb. Seriously? More like League of Mass Murderers.

Of course, the poison just happens to be the same one from the flashbacks. Gotta love how circular Olliver’s life is; he’s just the most important person in the world, isn’t he? If only we cared.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Jessica Breaux's review of 3x21 (she really didn't like Laurel in this episode and hates this Ra's storyline)...

Arrow “Al Sah-Him” Review (Season 3, Episode 21)
http://www.tvequals.com/2015/04/30/arrow-al-sah-review-season-3-episode-21/

Losing someone you love is difficult. What’s even worse is losing the essence of what made them, well, THEM. To look into their eyes and see nothing of the person you loved is an extremely heavy burden to bear. Sadly, that’s what Team Arrow was faced with in this week’s Arrow.
... Why was Ra’s able to turn Oliver so easily? That part of the story just didn’t really work for me. if Oliver were a different guy and had been through less than the multiple Hells he’s been through, I could see Ra’s getting to him. I’ve already said repeatedly how ridiculous the whole Ra’s storyline is, so I’m not going to belabor the point. Moving on…
While I was wanting to hug Dig and Felicity, I was kind of wanting to slap Laurel. It’s no secret that I feel Laurel is pretty much next to useless. The show has worked really hard this season to make her more essential to the story, but she’s just not. Even in this episode, she didn’t serve a purpose other than opposing everything Dig and Felicity said.  The most dumbfounding thing about all of that was how quickly she was willing to toss Oliver to the side in favor of protecting Nyssa....  And why were they taking on the League again? Oh right. Because Laurel is completely incapable of allowing other people to make their own decisions about their own lives. Because Laurel has decided that she knows what is best for everyone else even if they tell her repeatedly to stop interfering. I was just too done when Laurel refused to let Nyssa turn herself over to the League in exchange for Lila. First of all, Laurel doesn’t get to make the call about Dig’s wife. Second of all, Nyssa made it clear that she would rather face her fate head on than run and hide. What gave Laurel the right to say anything about anything?... And until it’s Laurel’s wife that is about to be murdered, she doesn’t get to decide what Dig can and cannot live with. Under normal circumstances, Dig wouldn’t trade an innocent person, but (1) these aren’t normal circumstances and (2) Nyssa isn’t exactly innocent.
Despite everything, though, I’m an optimist. Love is one of the most powerful human emotions, and I don’t know that there’s any drug strong enough to override it. It won’t be easy, but I honestly believe Oliver can be saved. Dig, Felicity, and Thea love Oliver and he loves them. I have a feeling that’s what’s going to save Oliver in the end.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

This reviewer thought 3x21 was a "pretty fantastic" episode (has an interesting theory about Akio)...

TV Recap: ‘Arrow: Al Sah-Him’ (Season 3 Episode 21)
Posted about 18 hours ago by Nicholas Graff
http://sciencefiction.com/2015/04/30/tv-recap-arrow-al-sah-season-3-episode-21/

BOW-STRING THEORIES:

- I’m not convinced yet that Akiro truly dies, only that his parents think he did. I think Akiro still being alive (and perhaps with HIVE) will inspire Maseo to fight back against the League, and that Maseo will be the key to saving Oliver from his fate.

- Thea wants to join the team, and the others are not sure of it. I’m guessing by next season she will be Oliver’s new sidekick.

- Are we actually seeing a love story develop with Laurel and Nyssa? Or is it just a close friendship? We all know how Nyssa’s last relationship with a Lance went.

-No Captain Lance this episode, though when Oliver returns with a virus designed to destroy the city, I’m sure he’ll be around to point out that he told Oliver that he only brings death.

- Another HIVE mention, the show is certainly doing their best to set up next season’s storyline.

- Felicity crying alone in the battered and abandoned Arrow Cave was one of my favorite moments of the episode, as it will make it that much more powerful and meaningful when the team reclaims their former base of operations with Oliver as their leader.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

#Arrow 3×21 Review: Is There Still Hope for Oliver Queen?
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-3x21-review-is-there-still-hope-for-oliver-queen/

But despite that, there were three distinct moments that I can recall that tell me that Oliver is still inside Al Sah-Him. Buried deep, sure, but he’s in there. I’m sure I probably forgot others, but these are the three that stand out to me:

1. When Team Arrow and Nyssa arrived to make the “exchange” and Al Sah-Him ordered Maseo to search everyone, and Felicity told him off. Oliver agreed because that’s what he does: he does whatever Felicity asks him to do (“If it’s you asking I’ll do it.”)

tumblr_nnllq2lTma1qlgooao2_250.gif   tumblr_nnllq2lTma1qlgooao1_250.gif

2. When Oliver got shot with an arrow and he turned around and saw it was Thea. You saw it in his face. Emotion. All he did was glare at her and walk away instead of killing her. This showed that there’s still a part of Oliver that cares for her and his other loved ones that he won’t go as far as to kill them.

tumblr_nnlimz7hdE1tt6g9yo2_500.gif

3. When Ra’s al Ghul made that God-awful announcement that Oliver and Nyssa were to be married and merge their bloodlines. OLIVER’S FACE. He couldn’t hide that reaction if he tried (which he totally did). The only woman Oliver plans on marrying and having babies with is Felicity, thank you very much.

tumblr_nnljk7noGQ1qzmdweo1_500.gif

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
(edited)

I know that jbuffyangel's reviews are controversial.  I don't agree with everything she says (her O/F wedding theory and her Sara-was-the-love-of-Laurel's-life theory come to mind), but I think she sometimes makes good points (which, again, we can disagree about).  More significantly, for me, she always takes the time to write thoughtful analyses.  Plus, lots of animated gifs!

At this point, I've read more Arrow episode reviews than I can remember -- many of them I don't post, usually because they're either straight recaps or cursory reviews by writers who are clearly too busy to be bothered to think about the show or too lazy to fact-check what they're saying.  So agree or disagree, here's her 3x21 review...

THE STRANGER - AL SA-HIM ARROW 3X21 REVIEW
http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/117844788663/the-stranger-al-sa-him-arrow-3x21-review

tumblr_inline_nnnxb4VKOq1shrb8p_500.gif
We see the light just moments before Oliver takes Ra’s hand and becomes Al Sa-him, sealing his fate. The light means only one thing…Oliver Queen isn’t dead. He’s surviving. Hope remains.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

SoundOnSight's review of 3x21 (another unhappy critic)...

Arrow Ep. 3.21 “Al Sah-him” can’t seem to learn from old mistakes
Posted on April 30, 2015By Randy Dankievitch
http://www.soundonsight.org/arrow-season-3-episode-21-al-sah-him/

Since the show’s pilot, Arrow has always been concerned with what’s coming next; the next big threat, the next big story twist, the next possible antagonist. Infatuated with teases (remember how long it took them to inform us what “the book” actually was?) and littered with allusions of what is to come, Arrow understandably has trouble rooting itself in the present, delivering on the promise of the challenging heights it builds for itself to ascend. Season three has been example after example of that: and “Al Sah-him” is no different, continuing last week’s trend of piling on the twists and misleads, to the point that everything loses any coherence under a microscope.
But no: “Al Sah-him” dismisses three seasons of character work to break down Oliver in the course of minutes – and is barely letting that sink in before they lay on the ludicrous turns of story....
... And ultimately, sets us up for ANOTHER finale where Team Arrow is trying to prevent a catastrophic event on Starling City – and like season one, for a silly external story that’s probably going to lead to some big world-changing event, or have emotional resonance shoehorned into it by killing off a well-known character (I’m looking at you, Quentin). All so… A.R.G.U.S. can return, H.I.V.E. can debut, Flash can return, Laurel can have a milkshake with Nyssa (that might take the award for Most CW Scene On A CW Show this year), and Thea can ascend to the rank of Dark Speedy (right? Isn’t the Pit supposed to have some effect on Thea except making her more wear more clothing?).
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

At this point, I've read more Arrow episode reviews than I can remember [...]

Dear TVecho, I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Thank you for providing us with all the interesting review links AND THE EXCERPTS! You are very good at picking out just the essential thoughts! That's great! XO

• Love 17

Well MG said they are going for a Balance next season so here's to hoping!

Fingers crossed they go for actual balance and not the disjointed, OOC behavior-fueled, "here's a light-hearted scene/character/episode! Now back to our regularly scheduled suckfest," we've gotten a few times this season. Real people have balance! There are true-to-life motivations for a person experiencing great pain or difficulty to also exhibit humor or pleasure!

I know that jbuffyangel's reviews are controversial.  I don't agree with everything she says (her O/F wedding theory and her Sara-was-the-love-of-Laurel's-life theory come to mind), but I think she sometimes makes good points (which, again, we can disagree about).  More significantly, for me, she always takes the time to write thoughtful analyses.  Plus, lots of animated gifs!

At this point, I've read more Arrow episode reviews than I can remember -- many of them I don't post, usually because they're either straight recaps or cursory reviews by writers who are clearly too busy to be bothered to think about the show or too lazy to fact-check what they're saying.  So agree or disagree, here's her 3x21 review...

THE STRANGER - AL SA-HIM ARROW 3X21 REVIEW

http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/117844788663/the-stranger-al-sa-him-arrow-3x21-review

I <3 her for the crazy. She walks the line between optimism and delusion, while wearing in-too-deep boots, and it's fabulous.

Thanks for the recaps!

• Love 5

I love to read the JbuffyAngel recaps. For starters the gifs alone are usually reason enough to visit the recap. But I think her reviews for as pie in the sky and slightly delusional they are, she does put a lot of thought into her analysis. I appreciate the time/effort she puts into it. I do not always agree with a lot of what she says, but its always nice to hear her opinions. Its a nice gauge to see where my theories & emotions are to the show/characters. Am I too close to the crazy? Have I drunk too much of the kool-aid? Have I managed to link everything to the thematic symbolism I've chosen?

I was wondering how she was handling this episode, esp with her wedding theory getting some assaults. But she seems to be doing ok, spinning & spinning to make her thoughts seem accurate. One thing you gotta admire is her perserverance in her beliefs and theories, even when the cards are stacked against her. I eagerly await what she will say after the marriage/wedding has reached a conclusion.

• Love 3
(edited)

Arrow Review: “Al Sah-Him”  (Episode 3.21)
By Mark Rozeman  April 30, 2015  |  12:00pm
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/04/arrow-review-al-sah-him.html

Things start off strong enough, with one of the most visually impressive montages in the show’s history—Oliver’s aforementioned re-programming into Al Sah-Him. Starting with shots of darkness illuminated only by the clash of metal swords, the montage depicts several fire-lit fights punctuated by reoccurring shots of Oliver being forced awake by a bucket of water. In a show that tends to take a lot of shortcuts to arrive at certain plot points, this is certainly an effective way of depicting Oliver’s transformation. That being said, I still wish there had been just a bit more real estate to show Oliver’s resistance to these rituals, as it does make his iron will seem more of the bendable plastic variety.

The same efficiency of storytelling, however, does not really extend to back in Starling City where, after only a few brief buddy-buddy scenes together, we are now supposed to buy that Laurel and Nyssa have developed a close friendship (and, unless I’m super misreading the vibe, a potential romance)....
Upon arriving at Nanda Parbat with Nyssa, Ra’s al-Ghul orders that, rather than having his daughter slain, she is to be Oliver’s new bride. It’s the kind of quasi-soap opera-like turn that I don’t think I can entirely get behind. Plus, at this point, Ra’s has spared way too many of his enemies. I know it’s his daughter and he’s probably just finding a loophole to avoid killing her, but, at a certain point, Ra’s’ long-term planning just seems idiotic....
... Any experienced TV viewer could very well map out the remaining bits of the season—Oliver goes about setting up for Starling City’s destruction, his team helps him remember who he is and they fight back against Ra’s and stop the bomb. They may lose people along the way (my money is on Maseo), but everything corrects itself by the end.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

'Arrow' Recap: There's a New Hood in Town
Robert Chan  April 30, 2015
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/arrow-recap-al-sah-him-117774593355.html

Arrow may have the best lineup of female heroes on TV, which gets highlighted this week while Oliver is out League-ing in Nanda Parbat. Between Felicity, Black Canary, Nyssa, and Speedy, they may just wipe “punch like a girl” out of the English language for good.
Of course, Oliver’s coming back and of course Starling City won’t be obliterated by the Alpha Omega bioweapon. But Team Arrow minus the Arrow right now is pretty formidable in its own right. Diggle (who Felicity is already designing a costume — er, “identity concealment” for), Felicity, Black Canary, Speedy, and (sort of) Nyssa al Ghul. Essentially, they’ve succeeded where the old WB show, Birds of Prey, failed: They’ve organically created a kick-ass, all-female super team. There was actually talk about a spinoff starring Felicity, Canary, and the Huntress (Jessica De Gouw) last year. Maybe someday…
Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Review of 3x21 by the two USA Today romance authors...

Allison Brennan and Lavinia Kent on 'Arrow': Fallen hero
Allison Brennan and Lavinia Kent  8:12 p.m. EDT May 1, 2015
http://www.usatoday.com/story/happyeverafter/2015/05/01/allison-brennan-lavinia-kent-arrow-al-sah-him/26742043/

AB: Oh!! I hadn't thought of that!! What I thought was so, so, so amazing of the writers was the words they used to give viewers more information than the characters. Ra's refers to Darhk and his people as a "hive" ... and remember when the woman came to Deadshot in prison and hired him to kill Andy Diggle? She called herself a "bee." And then ... moving to Starling City, Laurel is fighting a mugger who says, "Master Hornet is in charge." I think they are setting up the story arc for season four — and it promises to be exciting.

LK: And don't forget the Bug-Eyed Bandit on The Flash. She "is the Queen Bee of this hive." They are definitely giving us plenty of clues....
AB: ... Maseo knew about the Alpha and Omega that Nyssa stole ... and he was searching for it to give to Ra's. Maseo was the one who saved Oliver when Ra's nearly killed him. Maseo was the one who didn't kill Felicity when he could have ... we know Ray Palmer saved her, but at the same time, he hesitated. We knew that his son had died ... and now we know that his son died because of the Alpha and Omega. I just cannot reconcile that Maseo can be part of the mass murder of everyone in Starling City ... killing them as those people in Hong Kong, as his own son, had died.

That alone made me think that Maseo and Oliver have a plan. We know that Oliver has many immunities, that he has herbs he can take to do this and that. I think he was able to counter the effects of everything Ra's did, and that the entire plan was to not only defeat Ra's, put Nyssa in as Heir of the Demon, but destroy the virus. They've done several of those alternate storylines (such as faking Roy's death) where we see the scenes that they left out at the beginning, which when put with the whole make complete sense.

I also think that Oliver knew he could not defeat Ra's unless he could train under him. Something that Merlyn said ... I can't remember what it was ... when Oliver started training with him. And I think Merlyn is totally involved in the plan as well. Oliver would need him and his knowledge of the rituals of Nanda Parbat in order to make his deception work.

Edited by tv echo
I was wondering how she was handling this episode, esp with her wedding theory getting some assaults. But she seems to be doing ok, spinning & spinning to make her thoughts seem accurate. One thing you gotta admire is her perserverance in her beliefs and theories, even when the cards are stacked against her. I eagerly await what she will say after the marriage/wedding has reached a conclusion.

I hope that she knows that it's okay to be wrong...you don't have to spin every new piece of info to fit your theory.  We all make predictions here that turn out to be incorrect...no big deal.  What does she do when her theories turn out to be way off base?  Is she wrong a lot, and if she is, why do people keep taking her predictions so seriously?

• Love 4

I have no problem with jbuffyangel or whether people believe her theories.  I do think she tends to go a bit overboard in her analysis (i.e. reading too deep), so I tend to take things with a grain of salt, but I have to give her props for trying to keep the fandom upbeat and involved.  It's a tough job considering the dirge that is this show.

• Love 4
(edited)

Arrow Review: “Al Sah-Him”  (Episode 3.21)

By Mark Rozeman  April 30, 2015  |  12:00pm

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/04/arrow-review-al-sah-him.html

I really like his reviews. They're very level-headed, he's not the type to get too excited or too down about anything.

Review of 3x21 by the two USA Today romance authors...

Allison Brennan and Lavinia Kent on 'Arrow': Fallen hero

Allison Brennan and Lavinia Kent  8:12 p.m. EDT May 1, 2015

http://www.usatoday.com/story/happyeverafter/2015/05/01/allison-brennan-lavinia-kent-arrow-al-sah-him/26742043/

They're a bit disappointing to me. Their reviews seem rather too shallow for published authors. I guess I expect them to delve more into the storytelling, the structures of the episode and the arc of the season, etc. But it's mostly the "oh, I like this and that" with no real explanation.

I hope that she knows that it's okay to be wrong...you don't have to spin every new piece of info to fit your theory.  We all make predictions here that turn out to be incorrect...no big deal.  What does she do when her theories turn out to be way off base?  Is she wrong a lot, and if she is, why do people keep taking her predictions so seriously?

Oh, she knows she could totally be wrong. She has said that in her reviews, especially recently because people seem intent on telling her she's wrong. But like she said, it's all for fun. I do admire her for bravely putting her theory out there, revising it with every episode but totally sticking with it. She does go overboard with her analysis and often sees things in a very interesting way (her characterization and understanding of Laurel and her motivations are much more noble than what I've seen on screen). She does give the writers a bit too much credit; on the flip side, I think sometimes we on this board give them too little credit. Sometimes.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 2

In spite of everything my rational mind is telling and my previous experience with TV, I think she's just about got me convinced with her last post.  Someone should be be looking at this as research on social media and persuasion.

• Love 3

Parts I agree with the most (even though I could literally quote everything):

The bonding extended beyond the expositional dinner party. For the first time in far too long, the relationship between Digg and Felicity was acknowledged as an essential leg to the Original Team Arrow triangle. Digg needs a friendship independent of his brotherhood with Oliver, and Felicity needs a buddy to snuggle into from time to time without romantic implications. The unlikely bond between them has always been among the warmest of the series, and there was a reason why John Diggle was the first person to receive an on-screen “I love you” from Felicity Smoak.

“Al Sah-him” finally featured the dynamic between Felicity and Thea. It has never made sense that these two young women of similar age whom Oliver loves most in the world have never exchanged more than a few cursory words, and that they should bond over their shared loss was appropriate and effective. Emily Bett Rickards and Willa Holland sold the slightly uncertain intimacy thrust upon them by the depth of their mutual grief.

The women of Arrow were fantastic in “Al Sah-him.” The episode allowed them to play to their established individual strengths without overcompensating. Felicity used her position as a non-fighter and status as a seriously soft spot for the man beneath Al Sah-him to smuggle a pair of Glocks into the hostage exchange. Lyla showed no fear as she sat at the mercy of a dozen assassins, then whipped the guns out from under Felicity’s coat to bring a reckoning on the people who had endangered her baby girl. Laurel refused to abandon her friend. Thea came in with an awesome save by landing an arrow through her brother’s wrist and nocking a second to aim at his head.

Stephen Amell rising above mediocre material is entirely possible; his performance as Oliver has been the character’s only saving grace through some of his more boneheaded decisions of late. In “Al Sah-him,” a lesser actor might have turned Evil Oliver into Robot Oliver; Amell managed to infuse such a sense of tragedy into the detachment of Al Sah-him that he compelled on screen even when mostly devoid of expression. The man is a master at acting with his eyes, and Stephen Amell can always be counted upon to deliver a noteworthy performance.

Conversely, that Felicity and Diggle waited for the better part of a month to let Thea know that Roy wasn’t actually dead was contrived to the point of cruelty. Sure, Thea had a lot to worry about, but knowing that the man she loved hadn’t truly been murdered in prison might have lightened the load.

And then, there was Laurel.

Take a moment to either heave a sigh of exasperation or skip the next two paragraphs to avoid a minor diatribe about the mishandling of the character.

Laurel Lance is one of the least popular characters on Arrow, and the inconsistency with which her arc has been treated has only rendered her more exhausting to watch. Her ascension into Black Canary has been so contrived as to defy even the most extreme suspensions of disbelief, and “Al Sah-him” was a perfect demonstration of why. In her first appearance in the episode, Laurel was defeated by a street thug with a pair of pocketknives. By the end of the episode, she was whirling and twirling and holding her own opposite minions of the League of Assassins.

Her survival in the warehouse melee would have been more believable if she’d utilized her new toy to level the playing field a bit. As the Canary Cry was more embarrassing than epic, however, it is perhaps best that she use it as an accessory rather than weapon from now on. Quite aside from confusing non-Flash viewers who missed how Laurel acquired the gadget, its failure to do much other than annoy her enemies frustrated. Poor Katie Cassidy screaming to set it off was difficult to watch. The Canary Cry may be an iconic aspect to the Black Canary character from the comics, but it translates poorly to live-action adaptation.
  • Love 2
(edited)

If you like Felicity and her romance with Oliver, then this article will have you seeing red.  According to this writer, Olicity is to blame for what's gone wrong with the show, and the EPs apparently have no will of their own but just blindly obey the demands of Olicity shippers.  I guess it's true that different people can watch the same show and see completely different things (I've noticed that that website has several writers who really don't like Felicity, except maybe as a minor supporting character)...

Why "Olicity" is killing Arrow *spoilers*
by Michael Barone ⋅ Posted on May 2nd, 2015 at 8:48pm
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/05/03/why-olicity-is-killing-arrow-spoilers-2904151?lt_source=external,manual

Personally, I was ready to quit the show after the first two episodes of season 1.  The introduction of Felicity and the development of the original Team Arrow trio of Oliver, Diggle & Felicity are what kept me tuned in.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

If you like Felicity and her romance with Oliver, then this article will have you seeing red.  According to this writer, Olicity is to blame for what's gone wrong with the show, and the EPs apparently have no will of their own but just blindly obey the demands of Olicity shippers.  I guess it's true that different people can watch the same show and see completely different things (I've noticed that that website has several writers who really don't like Felicity, except maybe as a minor supporting character)...

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/05/03/why-olicity-is-killing-arrow-spoilers-2904151?lt_source=external,manual

Personally, I was ready to quit the show after the first two episodes of season 1.  The introduction of Felicity and the development of the original Team Arrow trio of Oliver, Diggle & Felicity are what kept me tuned in.

Lol this is a poorly constructed argument if you can even call it one. It's these type of articles that EPs or the network don't really pay attention to because they're just not thoughtful at all. Out of all of the anti-olicity articles I've read, this is possibly the poorest one. 

How does moviepilot hire writers? Because 90% of the things Pro/anti anything Arrow are just poorly written.

Edited by wonderwall

I think anyone can write And submit an article. They're not professional writers.

ahh, so that's why the whole 'article' sounded like a whiny fanboy crying over a romance on a show that has almost zero effect on the main plot lmao 

• Love 3
(edited)

I tried to stop myself, but I just had to leave a comment on that site. People can definitely argue why Olicity doesn't work for them but blaming social media is just damn lazy.

• Love 2

Exactly, wonderwall. Besides, everyone is acting like shippers hijacked the whole show and everything it was supposed to be. Except I don't seem to remember a new promo made only with the purpose of showing O/F love story?

I thought there were masked people in a cage..?

• Love 4

I tried to stop myself, but I just had to chime in. People can definitely argue why Olicity doesn't work for them but blaming social media is just damn lazy.

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't like Olicity but That down to the writing.

I did sort of agree with the article on one thing. I had never followed anything about Arrow on social media or on this forum until season 3 when I started watching as it broadcast. So at the end of season 2 when they had Oliver say he loved Felicity, then had the date in 3x01 my reaction was "huh?" I never saw any indication Oliver was in love with Felicity, but that's down to the writing. That ain't the shippers fault!

• Love 1

I did sort of agree with the article on one thing. I had never followed anything about Arrow on social media or on this forum until season 3 when I started watching as it broadcast. So at the end of season 2 when they had Oliver say he loved Felicity, then had the date in 3x01 my reaction was "huh?" I never saw any indication Oliver was in love with Felicity, but that's down to the writing. That ain't the shippers fault!

Actually, the writing has been largely on point when it comes to Olicity, IMO. There are a bunch of posts in the Relationship thread, if you're interested in checking it out, on how the show had started building Olicity, or at the very least considering it as a viable romantic option, from halfway through the first season. The bread crumbs have been laid since pretty much the beginning.

• Love 6

You know a couple of people I know felt this way too. I told them to rewatch their moments of the first two seasons (when they had the time) with the knowledge that Oliver loves her and that made all the difference and they totally get it now. I guess the writers were too subtle in seasons 1 and 2... that or the viewers brushed off their moments (especially in season 2) because they thought that Laurel/Oliver were still endgame because of how they were written in season one? 

• Love 4

You know a couple of people I know felt this way too. I told them to rewatch their moments of the first two seasons (when they had the time) with the knowledge that Oliver loves her and that made all the difference and they totally get it now. I guess the writers were too subtle in seasons 1 and 2... that or the viewers brushed off their moments (especially in season 2) because they thought that Laurel/Oliver were still endgame because of how they were written in season one?

Possibly you're right, that's still bad writing though. It could also be down to Stephen Amell's acting, I never like Laurel/Oliver either, and I never believed he loved her, or Sara for that matter. So I'm not sure if I mean that Amell's bad at acting in love or good at acting a emotionally stunted playboy!

The only woman I ever believed Oliver genuinely loves is Thea.

Possibly you're right, that's still bad writing though. It could also be down to Stephen Amell's acting, I never like Laurel/Oliver either, and I never believed he loved her, or Sara for that matter. So I'm not sure if I mean that Amell's bad at acting in love or good at acting a emotionally stunted playboy!

The only woman I ever believed Oliver genuinely loves is Thea.

To each their own! Oliver's love for Thea is one of the things I love most about this show. But I'd be really curious as to see whether you'll sort of see differently if you ever do a rewatch. I hope if you do you could come back and tell us what you think :)

I think Stephen has grown as an actor and plays a man in love extremely well. People called Oliciters deluded for thinking those longing stares were... longing, so it's sort of weird for me to hear the same people say that Olicity came out of nowhere :p

• Love 4
(edited)

While I agree that SA has really grown as an actor on the show, you'd think a college student would know the difference between "roll" and "role" (spell-check is not always enough)...

‘Arrow’ Review/Recap: “Al Sah-him”
Posted on May 3, 2015  By Nora Dominick ‘17
http://emertainmentmonthly.com/2015/05/03/arrow-reviewrecap-al-sah-him/

Stephen Amell may be the actor that has grown the most on Arrow. He has played the billionaire playboy, Queen Consolidated CEO, The Arrow and now he has taken on the roll of the villain. This week fans watched as everyone’s favorite vigilante was stripped away and in his place stood a changed man. Amell does an incredible job of stripping away just enough of Oliver Queen for Al Sah-him to come to the forefront. The amazing part about this transformation is that fans can still see a hint of Oliver just under the surface and this ability is credited whole-heartedly to Amell.
Edited by tv echo
(edited)

While I agree that SA has really grown as an actor on the show, you'd think a college student would know the difference between "roll" and "role" (spell-check is not always enough)...

‘Arrow’ Review/Recap: “Al Sah-him”

Posted on May 3, 2015  By Nora Dominick ‘17

http://emertainmentmonthly.com/2015/05/03/arrow-reviewrecap-al-sah-him/

I work in media and believe me when I say even Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists sometimes can't tell the difference between waist and waste (actually, they're/their and its/it's are what make me facepalm a lot). This is why everybody needs editors :)

• Love 4
(edited)

Deleted Scenes from “Arrow S03E21: What worked, what didn’t, and what needs to happen next”

By Laura Hurley

http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/118049769116/deleted-scenes-from-arrow-s03e21-what-worked

What Didn’t Work:

…Ra’s’ explanation of the final steps that Oliver would need to take to fully accept the mantle as his heir made no sense and were so very clearly invented on the fly in Season 3 to allow destruction to rain down on Starling City yet again. The narrative established way back in Season 2 that Nyssa was to inherit the position of Demon’s Head; was she expected to destroy Nanda Parbat as her way of separating herself from her home? And this is a demand from the same man who put a blood oath out on Malcolm’s head for the Undertaking? Come on, writers. Put some effort in.

…Despite excellent performances by the actors, the scenes of mourning Oliver were not as effective as they might have been if the story were not repeating the same steps of the grieving process already explored earlier this year. Sure, there were differences, but the grief and tears and regrets are more exhausting than emotionally resonant by the point.

…Although the dynamic between Katie Cassidy and Katrina Law was one of the delights of “Al Sah-him,” Laurel’s sudden impassioned investment in Nyssa rang false. It’s not that she should not have wanted to protect her new friend, but her lack of sympathy for Diggle’s urgency to recover his wife and mother of his child made her look cold, and her assertion that she should handle the confrontation with Oliver rather than Digg – aside from being totally laughable – ruined her later teary admission that Al Sah-him bore no resemblance to the Oliver who had been her friend for her entire life.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 4

She writes the best reviews. My favourite part was when she said Felicity needs to yell "I'm pregnant!" To shock him out of the brainwashing. I had that thought too and I think it would be hilarious...as long as there is a Psych involved.

• Love 2