Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

27 minutes ago, ladylaw99 said:

Well I must have been in an hallucination because I don't see how this ep was a damn fine hour of television. 

No hallucination. People are allowed to have different opinions about episodes. 

• Love 4

Alien space battles, and Oliver gets his own Flashpoint in the latest Arrow
Trent Moore Dec. 1, 2016
http://www.blastr.com/2016-11-30/alien-space-battles-and-oliver-gets-his-own-flashpoint-latest-arrow

Everyone gets an interesting direction in this shared hallucination, with Ray engaged to Felicity (what?!), Oliver set to marry his high school sweetheart, Diggle battling his demons as the Green Arrow, Sara seems happy, and Thea is taking solace in this dream world where all the terrible things she’s faced never happened. Arguably the best? Thea. The rest of the team spends most of the episode fighting to realize they’re actually in this simulation, while it turns out Thea figured it out a while back. She just didn’t care....
This episode felt like a really ambitious episode of Arrow, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But, it really didn’t feel “big” enough for the crossover event. With the episode falling as the 100th installment of the series, the creative team had a lot of masters to serve with this hour of television. It was an interesting Arrow story, yeah, but pretty much the only “Invasion!” related stuff was relegated to the final five minutes. I’m thinking most viewers came for big, crossover insanity. You’d think they could’ve found a way to balance those stories in a more satisfying way. Rushing through the big alien spaceship reveal and escape in the final few minutes just felt like it underserved the crossover part of this crossover. 

Speaking of the big escape: why exactly do the aliens leave a literal escape hatch in this shared hallucination? If this is meant to trap and distract our human heroes, why would the Dominators leave a giant building as a sign post and gateway to wake up in the middle of Fake Star City? It just felt like such a dumb plot point. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Also, how was there no one guarding them on the ship? We see hundreds of aliens, and they do know they left an escape hatch in the simulation, right? Then, Oliver and the gang are able to commandeer an escape ship in a matter of minutes, and figure out how to fly it. Sure, the Waverider swoops in to save the day, but the gang made it pretty far solely because the plot demanded it.

Edited by tv echo

Was Anyone Else Concerned ‘Arrow’s’ 100th Episode Was The Last For This Character?
JILL PANTOZZI   Dec. 1, 2016
http://uproxx.com/hitfix/anyone-concerned-arrow-100th-episode-last-for-character/

It was an interesting episode. While the returning cast members were a welcomed sight (to me, anyway), it also provided several callbacks to past seasons of the series. Oliver running in the woods is a running gag of sorts. Thea’s hōzen gift, Deathstroke, the Felicity/Ray relationship (which I really, really liked on the show but also didn’t make a lot of sense as Ray’s fantasy), and even Thea aiming an arrow at Sara (this time she catches it instead of being killed by it). But when the characters realized it was a shared hallucination, Thea was the one person who thought, “Hey, this is actually so much better than my normal life. Why would I leave?” It was a thought that could have only really come from Thea.

While most of the characters have lost loved ones they’d want to be with again, she’s the only one who didn’t have much going for her in the real world. Ray and Sara are traveling with a great crew and doing a lot of good, Oliver has his never-ending mission to save Star City (which is not necessarily enjoyable but something he feels compelled to do), and Diggle has a wife and baby. Thea has given up crime fighting to work in the Mayor’s office, which hasn’t given her much character development, and she was seeing a guy who we haven’t caught sight of in a while. At that point, I honestly wondered if Willa Holland was moving on from Arrow. And they made us believe it for a while too. While in terms of the show itself I wasn’t convinced leaving the matrix without her would actually work, we didn’t have to wonder about that for long as she quickly changed her mind and rejoined the heroes. “Ok,” I thought, she’s safe.

And then I thought Oliver was going to die. I know, I know, the show is called Arrow, it would have been one hell of a big deal if Stephen Amell left, but considering the dilemma Thea had just gone through, I now wondered if they were setting her up as the lead. When they were just about to exit the matrix, Oliver gets visions (for no real discernible reason) of his mom and dad, Felicity, Tommy, Roy, and Laurel which give him the inspiration to go on in his fight. This didn’t seem like something the Dominators would want going through his head while they tried to keep them captive, so it was something he already knew. They just confirmed he was on the right path. It felt like closure.

Edited by tv echo

In the latest installment of "Take an EP's words and twist them to make them fit your beliefs", this gem:

‘Arrow’ Season 5: Why ‘Olicity’ Arc In Season 4 Is Showrunner’s Biggest Regret

starting from MG's words about regretting not developing the Olicity Arc in S4 more naturally. SIt back, and laugh. :)

The Olicity storyline took over Arrow Season 4, so much so, some fans really wanted Felicity to be the one to die instead of Black Canary. The shift in dynamic was interesting, especially considering Felicity was one of fans’ favorite characters in the first two seasons, while Laurel was seen as the annoying one. Either fans really just love to hate Stephen Amell’s love interest, or it was a larger problem. Executive Producer Marc Guggenheim thinks it’s the latter. He even went so far to say the Oliver-Felicity arc is one of his biggest regrets in the history of the series.

[...]

Some critics believe the reason Season 4 was the series’ weakest is because the creative team succumbed to fan input. This may of caused the Olicity arc to spiral out of control faster than it would if the relationship had developed more naturally. Olicity, paired with the magical Damien Darhk storyline changed tone of the series, shifting it from the gritty, dark, street-level, superpowerless superhero show that fans fell in love with, to a series focusing on relationship drama and fantastical elements.

Guggenheim and the creative team have done a nice job of bringing back some of the same elements from Season 1 to Season 5. The first seven episodes of Arrow this year have been better than most of Season 4. The upcoming 100th episode of the series has the potential to be the best episode so far. 

• Love 1

I always love that I have this incredible superpower of really liking when two pretty people kiss on tv, and I love it so much that I telepathically influence super rich folks who work for billionaire conglomerates to cater to my whims.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I always love that I have this incredible superpower of really liking when two pretty people kiss on tv, and I love it so much that I telepathically influence super rich folks who work for billionaire conglomerates to cater to my whims.

Can you influence lotteries too? I really want my ticket to be the winning one. Please and thank you. :)

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, looptab said:

Can you influence lotteries too? I really want my ticket to be the winning one. Please and thank you. :)

Unfortunately I only seem to be able to telepathically talk to mediocre showrunners, and only ever about them giving me kissy pretty people.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 1

How do you get from

"I’d say probably my biggest regret is I wish we had allowed the Oliver-Felicity storyline in Season 4 to unfold at a more natural pace,” Guggenheim told Entertainment Weekly. “We had set these tentpoles at the beginning of the season, and we were a bit too rigorous on how we hit them. That was a case where the planning overtook the storytelling. We didn’t do things as naturally and as elegantly as we should have.”

to

Some critics believe the reason Season 4 was the series’ weakest is because the creative team succumbed to fan input. This may of caused the Olicity arc to spiral out of control faster than it would if the relationship had developed more naturally.

Because what I heard him say is that they rushed through because they stuck to the plan and ended it too fast.  And BTW,  the Olicity fans hated it.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

How do you get from

to

Because what I heard him say is that they rushed through because they stuck to the plan and ended it too fast.  And BTW,  the Olicity fans hated it.

I wouldn't waste time trying to make sense out of it. It's a poorly written hit piece on a no-name site. Clickbait. 

• Love 3

‘Arrow’ 100th Episode Review: “Invasion! Part 3”
Nora Dominick   Dec. 2, 2016
http://emertainmentmonthly.com/index.php/arrow-100th-episode-review-invasion-part-3/

... Watching the show evolve into something much more than a mindless crusade of killing villains has been a privilege to watch. The characters hold

Arrow up and it’s something season five has sadly lost sight of. The 100th episode acts as a beautiful reminder that without his friends and family, Oliver is a shell of the man we’re willing to fight behind.
Lotz is one of the greatest assets DCTV has and we are glad she gets this moment alongside Cassidy. Laurel’s death has reverberated to Legends of Tomorrow for most of this season as Sara realizes she can’t change the past. This allows Sara bidding farewell to Laurel (Katie Cassidy) all the more impactful. It’s a scene that was necessary last season, but was never achieved and we are happy to see it now. Even if it’s in an alternate reality.
Laurel’s last words were squandered last season. Her character went out with a flutter as opposed to a bang. After several seasons of moving past Oliver and becoming The Black Canary, in her dying moments she says she will always love Oliver. Something we never really bought. In this alternate reality goodbye, we finally get the closure on the Laurel/Oliver relationship we all deserved. Oliver tells Laurel the man she fell in love with is not him and she deserved so much better.
Not only is this a beautifully coordinated stunt sequence, but it holds a deeper meaning for each character. In some fashion, each of them avenges a loved one’s death. Ray shoots down the Mirakuru soldiers that killed his fiancé, Sara takes down Darhk, who killed Laurel and Diggle ends The Ghosts, who essentially took Andy from him. Even Thea takes out her anger for Malcolm and Oliver, once again, stabs Deathstroke in the eye. The theme of the alternate reality is closure and this is a perfectly executed homage to that.
While this episode brings back characters from seasons gone by, there are some inherent flaws. For starters, making it part of the crossover, while it wasn’t as self-destructive as it could’ve been, detracts from the celebration of Arrow. Being thrust out of the alternate reality to deal with The Dominators in present day is disorienting. We enjoy that The Dominators got us to this celebration and we understand we had to pull Oliver out somehow, but it ultimately detracts from the episode.
Our biggest issue with the alternate reality for Arrow 100 is the lack of Felicity. This leads back to the episode being part of the crossover in part. We needed a member of Team Arrow to be left behind so Oliver could eventually return, but Felicity being left behind just feels odd. Rickards has built a character that is integral to the structure of Arrow so it seems weird that Felicity wouldn’t be there to celebrate the show. While in the alternate reality she still works with Diggle, who is The Green Arrow, that’s all we really get of her. Although the flashes to Olicity reminds us that we totally didn’t hallucinate all of last season, which is a positive.

Even the moment where we see “Smoak Technologies” in the Star City skyline, the hope that Felicity is a powerful, female business woman is ripped away. “Smoak Technologies” is the enigma that the team uses to return home. We couldn’t even give her a shining moment in this alternate reality, really? Also, Quentin (Paul Blackthorne) is all but absent. He has a few quick moments with Oliver and Laurel, but that’s it. We would’ve enjoyed a heartbreaking Lance Family moment. After all, Quentin never got to say goodbye to Laurel either.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

I'm so sick of Lance family moments. They are right about Felicity though. Arrow lacked her big time in 100. 

I felt that Thea and Oliver scene was just put in there for an emotional beat which we all knew she would come back from. They had many things they could've been rid of. We don't need them to show us Laurel getting ready how many times and them walking through a host of people to get drinks.

INVASION! Part 2: Oliver Explores An Alternate Reality As Arrow Celebrates 100 Episodes
Verena Cote  Dec. 2, 2016
http://www.4ye.co.uk/2016/12/invasion-part-3-oliver-explores-an-alternate-reality-as-arrow-celebrates-100-episodes/

He enters the lair to Felicity’s surprise, who has been working with a very different version of the Green Arrow. Under this hood we find John Diggle, which Oliver remembers was his bodyguard, sidekick and ultimately his brother in arms. He also remembers Felicity, the first time he met her, kissed her, the first night they shared in Nanda Parbat and the time he asked her to be his wife. This moment, together with two of the most important people in his life, Oliver finds the clarity to understand that things are not right. He turns to Laurel, telling her he is afraid he will give up this too perfect reality.
Although the episode presents Oliver and Laurel as fiancées about to be married, it fundamentally manifests their relationship as part of the past. It is something that Oliver has craved at one point in his life, but even he realizes that a romantic future would not have been a possibility for them. He loves her and he always will, but he hasn’t been in love with her for a long time. She is the love of his past and a part of the life he could have had, had he not been marked by his experiences on Lian Yu, in Hong Kong and in Russia.

On the other side of the spectrum the episode also manifests Felicity’s place in Oliver’s life. It cannot be a coincidence that it is the sight of her last name that makes Oliver question the alternate reality. When he sees her he flashes back to many of their firsts, to what connects them and to the tragedy and the what ifs of the last year. He might have married her as a trick to catch Cupid in season four, but he did have every attention of making her his wife long before that. But their bond is much stronger than romantic feelings and the way they continue to work together to make Star City a better place in the present amplifies that.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Agents of GEEK Podcast  Episode 52
Craig Wack & Tatiana Torres   Dec. 3, 2016
http://agentsofgeekpodcast.com/wordpress/

-- Craig thought it was great to see some of these characters again like "Ma and Pa Queen".  Tatiana: "You know who it wasn't great to see?" Craig: "Laurel." Tatiana: "Laurel." Tatiana thought it was great to see a "happy [Quentin] Lance who wasn't f*cked up for life."

-- Tatiana thought that the saddest moment of the episode was when Oliver went to talk to Thea, and we find out that Thea already knew they were in a fake reality but didn't care, she still wanted to stay.

-- Craig was reminded that "the first two seasons of Arrow were like Dynasty with superheroes," about a powerful family. Now it's not about the Queen family anymore, but it's a family that Oliver's putting together with Felicity and Diggle and Thea, and now with the newbies.

-- Craig thought that in a lot of ways "Thea has become the soul of this show," in contrast to the first two years, when she "surpassed Laurel as the most hated character" on the show.

-- Tatiana noted that every time Oliver had memory flashes of someone, he remembered "all facets of that person and his relationship," but when he remembered Felicity, "he only remembered being in love with her." However, Tatiana was "so bummed at that moment that Felicity didn't get sucked up because I'm, like, 'can Felicity remember this too, please?'" Craig said that Felicity "was not trapped in the Matrix too."

-- Outside the Matrix, Craig noted that we got some "nerdy geek love with Curtis and Cisco, who's still being a bitch, and Felicity" dealing with alien tech. He thought the little fight with the "cybernetic woman" was cheesy. But he loved the chemistry and "tag in" with Supergirl making the "three-point superhero entrance."  He thought that Kara/Supergirl "made everything better." Tatiana interjected that the moment she left, "everything got depressing." Craig said that both the character and the actress (MB) brought an "energy" that everyone reacted to.

-- Craig and Tatiana both enjoyed this episode of Arrow. It reminded them of why they've watched 100 episodes.

-- Tatiana said that in the preview for next week's midseason finale, when someone said "oh, I know who you love" and they showed the reporter, she "almost threw my control at the TV."  Tatiana: "He doesn't love her! ... Shut the f**l up, Announcer Man!"

Crossover Week: Arrow Marks 100th Episode With a Sentimental Journey
BY CRAIG WACK · DECEMBER 1, 2016
http://oohlo.com/2016/12/01/crossover-week-arrow-marks-100th-episode-with-a-sentimental-journey/

It was an interestingly inward choice for what was largely billed as a splashy, action oriented battle of heroes vs. aliens.  There was so much weeping in this episode, you’d swear an episode of The Flash had aired instead. However, given this was Arrow‘s 100th episode, it was also a perfect conceit to be a little nostalgic and bring back many of the characters that helped carry the series where it is today.

The world the Dominators built for their captured vigilantes reversed just about every wrong turn and tragedy that had happened to Oliver over the last decade. There was no Queen’s Gambit wreck, no affair with Sara behind Laurel’s back, no plan to turn The Glades into a crater ripe for redevelopment – basically none of the darkness that has defined the life of Oliver Queen.

Instead, Ollie bears no scars either physically or emotionally. He’s living the life he was always destined to live. His parents are alive and well. He’s about to marry his soulmate Laurel. He’s primed to take the helm of Queen Consolidated. Hell, Thea was even back to wearing shirts that didn’t cover her navel (remember when that was a thing for like three seasons?).
What could really impact the series moving forward is that Oliver was able to process a lot of the guilt he’s been carrying around related to the deaths of his parents, Laurel and to a lesser degree, Tommy Merlyn. He got second chances and opportunities for proper good-byes with all of them. There’s no expectation that Ollie will no longer be all broody, but there does feel like there should be some kind of change in his outlook now that he believes the ones who he’s loved and lost in one form or another support him unconditionally.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

Arrow “Invasion!” Review (Season 5, Episode 8)
Jessica Breaux December 2, 2016
http://www.tvequals.com/2016/12/02/arrow-invasion-review-season-5-episode-8 

Having most of this episode take place inside Oliver, Dig, Thea, Sara, and Ray’s head also provided an opportunity for Oliver to evaluate the man he is and the choices he’s made. From the moment Oliver chose to take up his father’s cause, Oliver was choosing sacrifice. He’s never going to be able to have the white picket fence and 2.5 children running around. He’s never going to be able to stand by while innocent people are getting hurt. Choosing to be a hero means choosing to give up pretty much everything except the mission. It means choosing to put others’ needs and wants before your own. That kind of sacrifice on such a consistent basis can cause a person to question whether they made the correct decision. Whether if given the choice, they would choose the life of a hero again. That’s the choice Oliver (and the rest) was given in this episode, and he again chose sacrifice. Not because it’s what his father wanted him to do or not because he’s seeking fame and glory. But because he believes it to be the right thing to do. Oliver needed that reminder.
All in all, I enjoyed this episode. I especially enjoyed the last fight scene at the Queen mansion. Not only was it filmed very well, it carried a sort of emotional weight I wasn’t necessarily expecting. One thing that kind of fell flat for me was the relationship between Oliver and Laurel. I never really felt like their relationship was all that deep anyway, so them being together in this episode just kind of felt meh. Yes, they have history. Yes, Oliver loves, or rather loved, Laurel. But their relationship was pretty much history when Oliver came back from the island. Even when the show tried to rekindle it again, it just never really worked for me. I understand that it wasn’t supposed to really “work” in this episode either though. So ultimately, the fact that it fell flat didn’t bother me too much....

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Allison Brennan and Lavinia Kent analyze ‘Arrow’ and this week’s crossovers: Invasion!
December 2, 2016
http://happyeverafter.usatoday.com/2016/12/02/allison-brennan-lavinia-kent-recap-arrow-crossovers/

LK: ... So I started filled with anticipation and … and … well, not much. Don’t get me wrong; it was fun. There were some great moments. The idea of needing to unite to stop an alien attack was solid, but … It just didn’t do it for me beyond the fun. It was like going to the movies and having a good time, but the moment you walk out of the theatre you never think about what you just watched again. There were a few exceptions, but mostly it left me pretty unmoved.
AB: ... Kudos to the writers who were given a vast canvas on which to paint, because I think they did amazing — and kudos to the actors for exceeding expectations (with some minor exceptions).
LK: ... It was fun (to use that word again) to see the world as it could have been. I wasn’t fully persuaded by them, but I let myself enjoy the peek into what could have been. I would have liked something deeper and more emotional — or something that dealt more with the problems of the current season, but maybe they’ll actually be a lead into something. It would be interesting to get Laurel back quickly after Oliver has had to deal with these emotions about her. Hmmm …

AB: I would be really upset if they bring Laurel back. She was killed. She didn’t return because of Flashpoint. I don’t know if I can buy into her returning to Arrow. Now, maybe Legends … because time travel and all … but they’re going to have to sell me on it.
Overall, I thought that Arrow was the strongest of all the crossovers in terms of character and connections to the series, though I liked the others show for what they were. But I’ve always felt that Arrow had overall more depth, character development and stronger backstories. In fact, this crossover highlighted that truth for me — Arrow is superior in every way. What makes me mad is that they have the lowest ratings! I don’t get that — but more later.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Arrow recap: 'What We Leave Behind'
BY SARA NETZLEY   Dec. 7, 2016
http://www.ew.com/recap/arrow-season-5-episode-9

Billie dies! Laurel lives! The audience gasps! Arrow’s midseason finale was twisty and surprising and sad. Let’s recap.
... Also, Oliver didn’t warn Thea he’s dating the snaky reporter who used, humiliated, and lied to her, which isn’t very brotherly.
A less-fancy holiday gathering is going down in the Arrow Cave, where John’s still boggled he had a daughter pre-Flashpoint, Rene’s cut off before he can state whether he has a child of his own (but it sure sounds like that answer’s going to be a complicated yes), and Evelyn gives them all stockings with their superhero names on them, which is adorable, even coming from a duplicitous betrayer.
Fight, fight, fight. Rene’s there and Artemis shows up, but zoinks! She’s on Prometheus’ side! “This city needs to be saved from you,” she spits at Oliver. Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal, woman!
Since Prometheus knows their real identities, Team Arrow’s loved ones are all sent to various safe houses. But Billy refuses to hide, pointing out he’s a cop and it’s his job to take Prometheus down. So, Billy wants to protect Felicity, and Felicity want to protect Billy, and if one of them sells their hair, it’s basically The Gift of the Magi.
Flashback to four years ago, when Oliver asks Felicity to track down the AK Desmond address for him. (His insane cover story is about wanting to send a singing telegram to a “friend.”) Felicity refers to her magic fingers, then babbles she doesn’t believe in magic of the fingers or any other variety, for that matter. Aww, I miss nervous, stammering Felicity!

Oliver’s calm and cool, and when she gives him an address and knocks a red pen off her desk, he kneels to pick it up and hand it to her in perfect “marry me” form. “Felicity, I do believe in magic,” he smolders. This…feels like it’s taunting shippers.
“We are exactly where we’re supposed to be,” John says as the team surrounds him, including Felicity, who apparently has a heart that forgives more quickly than mine would under those circumstances.
... Meanwhile, Oliver shows up at Susan’s house, where she’s hanging out in lingerie, as you do when you’re alone at home. He says he didn’t have anywhere else to go, so she gets him a drink and lets him talk. As he tells her he’s a life-ruiner, we see Curtis crying, Felicity crying, and John walking into a safe house full of men with guns pointed at him, presumably from the fugitive apprehension division.

Like Thea, Susan tells Oliver not to focus on the bad things in his life and urges him not to shut people out. Then she kisses him, which is the worst part of the episode for me. Still not a Susan fan over here.
Holy cliffhangers, DC Comics vigilantes! Laurel’s back. Is it an alternate-Earth Laurel? Did Susan drug Oliver’s drink with hallucinogens? Is the Lazarus Pit up and running again?
I’m hoping for the latter [a misdirect]; a villain who’s connected to a person or situation we’ve known about for seasons would be far more satisfying than a “here’s the story you’re just hearing tonight, and that’s your supervillain of the year.” But hey, I trust the Arrow writers to make it good, whatever route they take.
Poor Billy. I never really bought his and Felicity’s relationship — too rushed, too much of an afterthought — but he seemed like a decent guy. Sorry you got caught up in the madness, man.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

where she’s hanging out in lingerie, as you do when you’re alone at home. 

Heh. It's the exact same thing I thought when they showed her. What's more, I don't remember seeing any other women on the show hanging out like that. All of them have shown up looking sexy, even inappropriately sometimes, Thea leaving her pants at home before going to the statue unveiling, ahem, but not wearing stuff like that when they're alone. It really caused a disconnect. It just made me think she was ready for him to show up. Come on, Susan, be in on it with Prometheus or even be Prometheus. Be more interesting than Billy.

• Love 7

Arrow wraps up its resurgent fall season by reckoning with its past
By Alasdair Wilkins  Dec 8, 2016  1:35 AM
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/arrow-wraps-its-resurgent-fall-season-reckoning-it-247102

If you want to understand why this season of Arrow represents such a major leap forward for the show, look to that final group scene in the Arrow Cave. Oliver has returned from what might well be the worst moment of his crime-fighting career—hell, maybe the worst moment of his life—as Prometheus led him through a grim recreation of one of his own past killing sprees before maneuvering him into killing Felicity’s boyfriend Billy. A season or two ago, Oliver would have compounded this tragedy with a more personal error, foolishly attempting to shield Felicity from the truth and in doing so setting the stage for the very subsequent betrayal Prometheus promised he would extract from the rest of Team Arrow. But Oliver doesn’t do that. Through his obvious torment, he tells Felicity and the rest of the team exactly what happened, leaving no details out. And Felicity instantly recognizes this not as Oliver’s crime, but as Prometheus’. When Oliver tells the team they ought to stay as far away from him as possible, Diggle draws them all closer together. Sure, the subsequent montage shows just how broken the team is—and how captured John appears to be—but that isn’t Oliver’s fault, even if his closing monologue might disagree.

It’s a common mistake in the CW’s superhero shows that the best conflicts are necessarily internal ones, that it’s not compelling to show the protagonists be resolute in the face of the latest threat when time could be spent endlessly relitigating how every bad thing is actually the hero’s fault. Why bother building up and defining a villain when said foe can remain pointlessly mysterious, all so that time can be better spent on endless squabbling and pointless secret-keeping among team members who really ought to know better? (At this point, you might think I’m throwing shade at The Flash, but the whole point of shade is one never needs to acknowledge what one is talking about. I am absolutely talking about The Flash.)
We still don’t know who Prometheus is, unless you’re feeling really confident that he is indeed Justin Claybourne’s son—and even then, that doesn’t preclude him from being an adult character to be revealed later....
Adrian Chase isn’t even hiding how unhinged he is at this point. Next up he’s just going to start wearing a shirt that says, “Hi, I’m Vigilante!”

Edited by tv echo

Adrian Chase isn’t even hiding how unhinged he is at this point. Next up he’s just going to start wearing a shirt that says, “Hi, I’m Vigilante!”

Yup. Dude looked like a total psycho when he approached Oliver. Sure, Mr Mayor, follow Crazy Eyes' lead.

• Love 1

‘Arrow’ Midseason Finale Recap: “What We Leave Behind” – Consequences
BY KAYTI BURT      Dec. 7, 2016
http://collider.com/arrow-recap-what-we-leave-behind/

Arrow ended 2016 with a hell of an episode. “What We Leave Behind” gave us a little bit of everything: humor, betrayal, angst, romance, and what seems like a highly unlikely resurrection (but, as Felicity says, in Star City, “people who are dead turn out to be secretly alive pretty much every Wednesday).
You have to admit: Prometheus is a pretty out-of-the-box thinker when it comes to punishing Oliver. Rather than simply killing one of Oliver’s loved ones (that is so Season 2), Prometheus gets Oliver to accidentally kill Billy, Felicity’s boyfriend. It’s a good twist, made even better by the fact that a) Oliver doesn’t try to cover it up (he’s learning!) and b) Team Arrow doesn’t blame Oliver.

Of course, just because Felicity recognizes that this isn’t Oliver’s fault, doesn’t mean things won’t be tense between them moving forward. As with the Evelyn twist, this would have been even more effective if we knew Billy as someone other than Felicity’s detective boyfriend. We pretty much only ever saw them have conversations about the secrets Felicity was keeping from him. What did they do the other 99 percent of the time? Or was that their entire relationship?

Still, seeing Oliver’s broken heart when he realizing that he has not only killed a good, innocent man, but someone who is important to one of the most important people in his life … yeah, that gutted me.
The montage of misery.

That’s what I’m calling the last few minutes of this episode, which saw Oliver lamenting in voiceover about how everything he touches turns to ash while the people in his life cry, hug pillows, or walk stupidly into traps (John, I expect better from you). This description might make it sound like I was against the montage of misery, but I am not. I thought it was great, most especially because, after Oliver finished his (understandable, characteristic) moping, Susan told him his angst was ridiculous.
Did Barry change the timeline again? Did someone dip Laurel in a Flashpoint-restored Lazarus Pit? Is Oliver hallucinating? Has Human Target seriously upped his game? Do all of Oliver’s ex-girlfriends have secret identical twins? If Laurel really is alive, is she secretly Prometheus? All questions to ponder over the hiatus. For now, I will head into my TV-lite holidays with a lingering affection for a show that is riding its melodramatic, resurrection-happy formula into a pretty solid fifth season.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

Heh. It's the exact same thing I thought when they showed her. What's more, I don't remember seeing any other women on the show hanging out like that. All of them have shown up looking sexy, even inappropriately sometimes, Thea leaving her pants at home before going to the statue unveiling, ahem, but not wearing stuff like that when they're alone. It really caused a disconnect. It just made me think she was ready for him to show up. Come on, Susan, be in on it with Prometheus or even be Prometheus. Be more interesting than Billy.

I didn't even notice she was in lingerie until  I read it here, haha.How did I miss it? Was it because I was cry-laughing and yelling? Possibly.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 5

It's not clear, but I think this reviewer is speculating that Billy is Prometheus and somehow faked "Billy's"death...

Review: ‘Arrow’ Sets Prometheus Theories Ablaze With ‘What We Leave Behind’
Kevin Fitzpatrick   Dec. 7, 2016
http://screencrush.com/arrow-what-we-leave-behind-review/

Right off the bat – there isn’t anything to discuss with Laurel’s apparent resurrection, and Arrow likely knows that. It’s been reasonably clear since Season 4 that Katie Cassidy hasn’t taken on additional work -- to say nothing of her overall contract and 100th episode appearance – and “What We Leave Behind” doesn’t present the final moments with any real connection to the hour before. Personally, I’d love to believe that Laurel was somehow Prometheus (it’s Billy, 1000% still Billy), but instead the twist ends up feeling like the question mark punctuating a sentence no one asked.
... On the other, there’s no real weight to Prometheus’ identity as the son of some corrupt pharmaceutical CEO, nor any more specific lesson for Oliver to learn than the one we’ve reflected on all season.

*Call me crazy, but Prometheus seems like a fun guy. No, really! He hangs out all day in head-to-toe costume, makes dramatic gestures and cryptic remarks at all his friends, then spends his time setting up elaborate, theatrical crime scenes and clues! Come on, that guy would definitely go to Hamilton with you.
On the plus side, it was smart of “What We Leave Behind” not to linger on Oliver’s accidental killing of Billy as a dividing point for the team, but one that everyone – Felicity included – immediately recognizes as Prometheus’ fault. It’s a wonderfully subdued confession from Stephen Amell, and a great rallying moment for the team in general, even if we come back from hiatus to find Felicity less understanding. Certainly Curtis suffers* from proximity to Oliver as well, and even Diggle to an unclear extent, and I like the symmetry of Billy and Curtis both sharing similar platitudes to Felicity of remaining true to one’s convictions. It’s no small irony that Curtis faces the consequence of embracing his true identity, while Billy dies for wearing someone else’s.
If we’re looking to for things to chew on until 2017, at least, “What We Leave Behind” lived up to the name. Billy’s still the most practical candidate to end up under the Prometheus mask, even if the hour did go out of its way to remind us of Adrian Chase’s more violent impulses. We also know Prometheus shares a connection with an as-yet-unnamed woman from Oliver’s flashbacks, and it’s no accident that the camera lingered on Russian vodka in Susan’s apartment. I still have trouble accepting Prometheus as a human villain anyway, given the absurd precision of bisecting an arrow with a throwing star, or his apparent ability to materialize within the flicker of lights.
- Diggle and Oliver arrow zip-lined into that warehouse when the stairs were very clearly behind them.
- What would have happened if Oliver picked up the ringing phone?
- How is it that Oliver and co. didn’t find that lock-box in the desk? Or was it planted there just for Billy? Keep in mind, we also didn’t really ever see Billy and Prometheus together, just a quick silhouette appearing behind him.

Edited by tv echo

Huh? Did this reviewer intend to list Laurel's return as part of the "negativity toll"? And since when has Laurel been "too integral" to the show's "eventual happy ending"?...

Arrow Season 5 Episode 9: What We Leave Behind Review
Tyler McCarthy   Dec. 7, 2016
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/arrow/260570/arrow-season-5-episode-9-what-we-leave-behind-review

Still, if there’s a singular takeaway from this episode it’s that it was very much an Empire Strikes Back moment for the series in that the good guys lost… hard. By the time Prometheus’ master plan was done, the negativity toll was as follows:

Curtis’ husband leaves him because he is a vigilante.

Felicity’s boyfriend is dead at the hands of Oliver, who got distracted by his desire to put down Prometheus.

Diggle is either back in police custody or riddled with bullets. His wife and son are MIA as well.

Oliver is a murderer again… again.

Oliver’s new girlfriend has ties to his Russian adventures - don’t think we didn’t notice that lingering shot on the bottle of vodka. She has to be sitting on that big secret photo for some reason.

Laurel Lance is back.

Did that last one catch you off guard? It should have. We all knew that Laurel wasn’t gone for good, she’s too integral to this show’s eventual happy ending. However, seeing her simply alive and well after everything that happened on Arrow, as well as Legends of Tomorrow, was a bit of a let down. I admit that the Lazarus Pit or some other daring plot-heavy adventure to bring someone back from the dead would be silly. However, the series has painted itself into a corner to explain her return. It’s not doing itself any favors by making everyone wait until 2017 before anything important is revealed.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

A shocking resurrection (?!), and Prometheus revealed in the midseason finale of Arrow
Trent Moore Wed, Dec 07, 2016 11:21pm
http://www.blastr.com/2016-12-7/shocking-resurrection-and-prometheus-revealed-midseason-finale-arrow

The creative team has promised Season 5 is all about taking things full circle, and having the big bad directly connect to a Season 1 name on Oliver’s list fits perfectly with that theme. It might've worked a little better if it was someone we actually recognized from Season 1, but they even handled that potential complaint by featuring flashbacks to the Season 1 era. We get to see this untold mission, where Oliver hunts down and kills Claybourne (we also get to see the adorably dorky Season 1 era Felicity, which was great). With all of this coming out in the open now, at midseason, it’ll be interesting to see if the Prometheus arc is resolved soon, or carries on through the back half of Season 5.
Was there really any reason at all for Felicity’s boyfriend Billy to exist? He wasn’t around all that much, and didn’t even serve to create any real friction with Oliver over his relationship. He seemed like a nice enough guy, and they bumped him off this week as part of a sick trap set by Prometheus. Sure, it made for some tears, but this guy’s arc is just terrible. Initially, it seemed like they were setting him up to possibly be Prometheus, but that was apparently just a red herring. So, they basically just introduced him to kill him at midseason. That’s it.
Lingering questions: Laurel, Laurel, Laurel

This episode packed in a lot of punches, but the biggest most certainly came in the final 10 seconds: Oliver returns to the Arrow Cave to find Laurel standing there. Alive, apparently. She calls him “Ollie” like she definitely knows him, so it stands to reason this isn’t a Laurel from another reality (Flash-style). How? We all saw her die. We saw her funeral. Maybe Sara manages to change history and bring her back over on Legends of Tomorrow? Or, it’s some additional fallout from Flashpoint? Whatever the answer, there’s a whole lot of explaining to do come 2017.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Season 5 Episode 9 Review: “What We Leave Behind”
Chris King   Dec. 7, 2016
http://www.tvovermind.com/the-cw/arrow/arrow-season-5-episode-9-review-what-we-leave-behind

... From the attack on Curtis to Billy’s death, “What We Leave Behind” is a nonstop emotional (and at times physical) assault on Oliver, Diggle, Felicity, and the rest of team, as secrets are revealed and people die, leaving each member of the group questioning how they’ll move forward after all the pain they’ve gone through.
The same could be said for both Felicity and Oliver, as Prometheus kidnaps Billy and then stages him to look like the villainous archer. Believing that a disguised Billy actually is Prometheus, Oliver fires three arrows into the detective’s chest, killing him, and when Oliver discovers the real identity of his victim, he’s distraught, not just because he murdered an innocent man but also because of how much Billy’s death will hurt Felicity. Both Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards are tremendous during the scene in which Oliver admits that he mistakenly killed Billy (and they’re also great together in an earlier flashback scene, but more on that later), as they perfectly portray the numbness and disbelief that both characters are feeling. Neither of them could have foreseen what Prometheus was planning, and the shock and pain of that plan’s execution is almost too much for them to bear.
And speaking of death, let’s talk about how it never seems to stick on Arrow, because look who shows up in the episode’s final scene: Laurel Lance. While I was never the biggest Laurel fan, I did appreciate what she brought to the show throughout her four seasons, and I’ve always enjoyed Katie Cassidy as a performer, whether on Arrow or on Supernatural or even when she was barely used as a guest star on Gossip Girl. However, I’m not sure how I feel just yet about her return to the show. It’s a strong cliffhanger to leaves fans with until Arrow returns in January, but if Laurel is actually alive again, because of Flashpoint or magic or some other crazy reason, I won’t be happy.

Obviously, Laurel Lance/Black Canary is a hugely important character in the Green Arrow comics, but having her come back to the show, after how much focus and attention has been placed upon her death and her legacy (and after having Oliver and Sara both bid her an emotional farewell in last week’s 100th episode), feels more than a little cheap. Of course, it depends on how the Arrow writers execute this storyline during the back half of the show’s fifth season, but as of right now, Laurel’s return feels like nothing more than pure shock value, something to “wow” viewers with so they’ll tune back in next month. I hope I’m wrong and whatever Arrow has planned for Katie Cassidy and Laurel is something special, but as of right now, I can’t find myself feeling too enthusiastic about it, especially when it also continues to lower the stakes and lessen the importance of death on the series.
And speaking of Oliver and Felicity, how terrific was their flashback scene together? From the red pen to the awkward flirting to Oliver’s line about believing in magic, that was all vintage Oliver and Felicity, and I loved every second of it. I’m glad to see that the show’s writers haven’t forgotten how integral that pair’s relationship is to the show, and I do hope that Oliver and Felicity get a little more focus in the back half of Season 5.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Or - Oliver told Felicity that he believed in magic back in S1 because, for once, he remembered his time on the island out of season, and he was referring to his own experiences with magic in the form of the Magic Idol, Taiana and Constantine. Also, although I think that jbuffyangel often has a point when she's talked about light symbolism in the past, this time I think she's really stretching it with her flashback "spotlight" comment below. However, although her symbolism analysis sometimes goes way over the top, she does make some good points about 509 that I agree with...

BE BETTER: ARROW 5X09 REVIEW (WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND) 
DECEMBER 08, 2016 @ 11:32
http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/154210887808/be-better-arrow-5x09-review-what-we-leave

Anywho, then Oliver says, “I believe in magic." 
This is not something Season 1 Oliver Queen would say even on his BEST DAY to Felicity Smoak. It’s far too hopeful. Homeboy was in the hole in S1. Remember he loved Laurel. The hole was deep.

Straight translation of course is "I believe in FELICITY SMOAK” which is why he said it. Oliver is being adorably awkward with his flirt. The subtext is “I believe in Olicity” because they are the magic of Arrow.
Oh! I almost forgot the cherry on top. They shine a big huge SPOTLIGHT on them as Oliver left. Where’s that light coming from? Nobody knows! Does Felicity have a skylight in her dark cave of an office? Not that I could see. 
Which brings me to… how many times has Felicity’s boyfriends died? I think the count is at four and yes I am counting Oliver. 
Maybe these moments are still coming. Perhaps, Felicity will no longer feel the need to act okay because she’s not okay. Billy’s death effectively crumbles the “normal life” bubble she constructed in the wake of Havenrock and her break up with Oliver. So, maybe some of those emotions she’s kept at bay will finally overflow. Maybe Arrow will refocus on Felicity in 5b, but I am highly disappointed with her arc in 5A. She feels glossed over and it needs to stop. We could stop saying goodbye to Laurel anytime now and refocus on the actual female lead of the show again.
An argument can be made that Felicity doesn’t actually want Oliver to comfort her. She may understand and forgive Oliver, but it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s her go to guy in this situation. I also understand Felicity may want to grieve alone. These are all plausible options. All valid. However, Arrow spends a lot of time on Felicity comforting others. Pick a character. She has been their rock at some point. I’d just like to see a scene where someone is being Felicity’s rock in her time of need and providing some emotional support. It doesn’t have to be Oliver Queen. There’s a vast array of characters to chose from and it saddens me that Arrow chooses to isolate Felicity.
By the by, when Susan commented on his hopefulness and Oliver said “Because of you” I gagged. 
It’s all well and good for Oliver to make an attempt at moving on and being hopeful, but she doesn’t get the brownie points. This isn’t “Susan specific” hopefulness Oliver. This is just general “life hopefulness” because of five years of hard earned character growth, especially given what you experienced in your alien “It’s A Wonderful Life” trip. Settle down.
At this point, I feel like Arrow is beating the LL fans with a stick just to lure them back into watching. You killed her Arrow. You knew it would piss off a portion of the fan base and you still went ahead with the decision. Own it. It is what it is. You are not “fixing” it with these little crumbs thrown their way. You are prolonging the torture.
Ending 5x09 on Laurel is not a shocker. I practically yawned when I saw her. LL is getting more screen time dead than she did alive. That’s how bad this is. Seeing her again isn’t shocking even remotely. Seeing Tommy in the mid season 2 finale? That was a “holy shit” moment because the last time we saw Tommy was 10 episodes ago. We just danced this dance. WE JUST SAID GOODBYE TO LL IN 5x08. FOR THE THIRD TIME. There needs to be some time to breathe between these “guest spots” and putting Laurel into 5x09 is too quick a turn around. Hell, 5x10 is too quick a turn around.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

‘Arrow’ Midseason Finale: A Disappointing Prometheus Reveal And A Surprise Return
JILL PANTOZZI 12.08.16
http://uproxx.com/hitfix/arrow-midseason-finale-disappointing-prometheus-reveal-and-surprise-return/

Let’s put that can of worms aside for a minute since it was a very small part of the episode. When the Prometheus “reveal” (if we can call it that) was playing out, I couldn’t help but feel bored. When a new, secretive character comes into these shows, we usually expect it to be someone we already know. Otherwise, the dramatic build up is lessened. If I didn’t know actor Colin Donnell was tied up with another TV show, Tommy Merlyn would have been one of my guesses for who was under the mask. Oliver’s father, however improbable that may be (even on a superhero show) was my next guess. Imagine, with flashbacks to Season One and the “list,” if Oliver’s dad returned to tell him how wrong his son reacted to the names he put in that book. That would have been powerful. And I never thought for a second Prometheus was Quentin Lance. I mean, come on, what even was that?

Instead, we got a generic backstory of a child out for revenge on the man who killed his father. At this point, the man behind the mask is seemingly irrelevant in the scheme of Arrow’s overall story because we haven’t met him before. But Oliver has a connection to him via a season one thread we never saw. The Russia flashbacks are put aside for another week (though it looks like there’s a connection to be had) in lieu of a trip back to the early days of Ollie and Diggle. We’re led to believe Prometheus is the son of one of The Hood’s early takedowns, a terrible, no good, very bad pharmaceutical executive named Justin Claybourne. The child would be around 30 now and apparently went through similar training as Ollie.
Who is behind the mask may not be all that significant, though, as this time around it’s how his actions alone affect Ollie that’s important. So important, in fact, that Team Arrow comforts Oliver after he accidentally kills Felicity’s boyfriend Billy (Tyler Ritter) thinking he was Prometheus instead of comforting Felicity herself. There’s no doubt this kill has affected Ollie deeply but come on, SHE’S STANDING RIGHT THERE.

Speaking of dead people, Laurel is back! Katie Cassidy’s return in the crossover episode was a bit of cheat, so I’m happy to see her turn up here even if I’m not particularly invested in her character at this point. Laurel was killed on Arrow just as they were finally giving her ridiculous transition into Black Canary more weight. I understood her choice to take on her sister’s mantle, but her journey was far too easy. If she’s back for real, I hope they do right by both the actor and the character this time.
That said, her “Ollie” sounded overly familiar (and caring), so I don’t think this is her evil, Earth 2 doppelgänger. It could, however, be a Laurel from any other Earth in the multiverse. More likely? She’s simply a hallucination, drug-fueled perhaps, of Ollie’s. Susan could have easily slipped something into his drink, the transition from their sexy-time to the Arrow cave was a bit awkward. Whichever way you look at it, it’s not going to be good for Ollie’s fragile psyche.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

‘Arrow’ Midseason Finale Recap: Guess Who’s Back... Again?
Robert Chan   Dec. 8, 2016
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/arrow-midseason-finale-recap-guess-whos-back-again-125944700.html

Is the tradeoff of having Laurel back — and make no mistake, she’s great and it would be wonderful to see her again on a weekly basis — worth making death completely meaningless on the show? Comic books are ridiculed, and rightly so, for bringing people back from the dead willy-nilly. Up until now, Arrow hasn’t overplayed its back-from-the-dead card. Has it finally happened? Or do the writers have something more devious in mind?
Condolences to fans of the Billy Malone-Felicity Smoak romance: Their love was too pure for this mortal realm. Not that anybody should be surprised. Remember that DJ Thea was dating last year? Or that reporter that Oliver’s dating right now? They’re placeholders to be chucked out by the end of the season. Call them Egg, after George Michael’s forgettable girlfriend in Arrested Development.

Jokes aside though, there will be repercussions for his death. The police will be after him for killing an officer. Felicity says she knows it’s Prometheus’s fault, but there’s no way she doesn’t blame Oliver at least a little bit, and she should. Real life tip: If an ex kills your current squeeze, go ahead and blame them.
*That was a strange, lingering shot over the vodka Susan pours for Oliver, right? We know she’s setting him up for something. Originally, it looked like it would just be for her TV ratings, but what if she was sent by Kovar or the Bratva? #Quilliams

*So that’s probably what the flashbacks will look like next season? Lost tales of The Hood?

*We get it, Rene: You don’t like following rules. Sheesh. He said it so many times this episode, it felt like one of those old G.I. Joe PSAs where the dumb kid ignores the signs, and Shipwreck has to pull him out of a ditch.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Arrow Review: Half-Season Ends with a Smoking Crater of Emotion
BY CRAIG WACK · DECEMBER 8, 2016
http://oohlo.com/2016/12/08/arrow-review-half-season-ends-with-a-smoking-crater-of-emotion/

Prometheus is unlike any foe the Green Arrow has battled since Slade Wilson. Both Prometheus and Deathstroke’s motivations are personal in nature, but Prometheus is all about the slow blade in the painful places. Thanks to Evelyn’s continued betrayal and his/her own knowledge, Prometheus knows where all of Ollie’s soft points are.
Oliver then has the harrowing job of having to inform a woman he once loved (and honestly still does) that he accidentally killed a person who brought joy to her life. Happy Hanukkah, Felicity. Ollie wants to break up the team because Prometheus is literally destroying everything Oliver touches, but Diggle speaks for the team when he pledges to stand with Ollie to the end.
As a documented “Laurel ain’t dead ” truther from the very beginning, let me say I was F*CKING RIGHT, BITCHES!! Unless this ends up being some kind of Flashpoint wrinkle, I’m probably not going to be right for long. The camera lingered on the booze bottles a little too long when Susan was pouring drinks and Oliver has had a tendency to dream about Laurel of late. Instead of being in the Arrowcave, Ollie is likely a drooling heap on Susan’s couch, the victim of yet another scheme from the puppet master Prometheus.
The showrunners have realized that when it’s already too dark to see, it’s impossible to tell when things go pitch black. This is a mistake The Flash made with its mid-season finale, which was supposed to have this emotional jolt but it all just felt like continuation of the mopey path the show has been traveling all season. Arrow‘s emotional balance made its mid-season punch to the gut more painful, more effective and has you circling January 25 on your new 2017 calendar in anticipation for the series’ return.

Edited by tv echo

ARROW: "WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND" REVIEW
Jesse Scheeden Dec. 7, 2016
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/12/08/arrow-what-we-leave-behind-review

On one hand, it was fun just to go back and revisit that simpler time. All the details were recreated perfectly, from Ollie’s original, mask-less costume and lair to his goofy interplay with a pre-sidekick Felicity to Diggle being the nonplussed bodyguard. On another, these flashbacks really emphasized how much Ollie has changed as a person and a vigilante over the course of four years. He may flirt with killing now, but back then he was a veritable murder machine. It was chilling watching him mow down those guards with impunity. Enough so that you can’t help but empathize with Prometheus a bit. Maybe Ollie had all of this coming. The way in which this episode regularly bounced between past and present helped build the tension leading into Ollie’s final showdown with Prometheus.
... And that’s where Prometheus really upped his game. He delivered quite the blow by tricking Ollie into killing Billy. But again, you can see Ollie proving Prometheus point for him. If he wasn’t so reckless and so quick to pull the trigger, Ollie wouldn’t have fallen for that ruse. He tried the killing game again, and this is where it led him. All of this makes Prometheus a more compelling villain because it’s so easy to understand his point of view. He may not be the hero of this story, but he makes a strong case for the idea that Ollie isn’t either. That, more than anything, is what’s distinguishing Prometheus from the rest of the show’s major villains.
That dramatic twist led to a terrifically emotional scene as Ollie felt the crushing weight of his mistakes bearing down on him. To his credit, he didn’t try to hide the truth from Felicity, which is another sign of how much he’s matured in the past four years. But it was quite a depressing way to cap off the first half of the season....
Two things prevented this episode from fully connecting. One is that it’s difficult to be too affected by the death of Billy when the character has been such a non-entity all season long. There was never any real attempt to develop him or flesh him out beyond his role as “Felicity’s cop boyfriend,” and now it seems he was never intended for anything more than being the token sacrifice. That twist certainly did the trick in terms of how it impacted the other characters, but there's little reason for viewers to mourn Billy's passing. Unless they're afraid of the inevitable Olicity resurgence that's sure to come in 2017.

The other problem involves that final scene. I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t particularly want Laurel back in the picture. She was never one of the show’s more compelling characters, and the Green Arrow/Black Canary dynamic pales in comparison to the one in the comics. Not to mention that the revolving door of death surrounding the Lance sisters is getting pretty ridiculous at this point. That’s one comic book trope I’d just as soon have stay in the comics.

Maybe Laurel will wind up playing a crucial role in the latter half of the season and her return will prove worthwhile. Regardless, the way she was abruptly introduced at the end of this episode seemed very random and apropos of nothing. It made for a very jarring shift immediately following all the Prometheus-related drama. I get the desire to end 2016 on a twist that will have fans arguing and speculating, but do it in a way that doesn’t feel tacked on for shock value.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

Arrow 5.9 Review – “What We Leave Behind”
December 7, 2016 | Posted by Michael Haigis
http://411mania.com/movies/arrow-5-9-review-what-we-leave-behind/

For it’s midseason finale, Arrow gave us “What We Leave Behind”. It was an episode that featured some of the best moments of the season, as well as some typically infuriating beats that have come to characterize the show. All in all, though, If you were to choose one episode from Arrow’s fifth season to exhibit the best and worst of the show’s qualities, this would have to be the one. It had more substantial meat on its bones than any of the eight that preceded it, and was the season’s superlative episode thus far.
The show’s mission statement this season was clearly, from the beginning, to reground itself. To shirk some of the magic elements it had piled on in the past couple of seasons, and reframe The Green Arrow as a hero forged in grit, in the streets – and not in mysticism or the supernatural. It has accomplished that goal by harkening back to Oliver’s earliest beginnings as a vigilante, although not as The Green Arrow. As The Hood, Queen’s first vigilante iteration, one markedly less hesitant to – as Diggle tritely outlines in a flashback – play judge, jury, and executioner.
Before finishing with the episode’s Prometheus storyline, it’s important to touch on the B and C plots. In one, Felicity tries to convince her detective boyfriend to back off Prometheus, for his safety. In the other, Paul delivers Curtis and ultimatum – leave the Vigilante Business, or see me leave. In both cases, the emotional structure of “What We Leave Behind” centers on the toxicity of certain relationship – in this case, relationships with, or related to, Oliver. That was a theme the episode would not drop until the last minute, and for good reason – it was resonant. This wasn’t the show shoehorning thematic notes where they don’t belong. Instead, it was crafting story to birth theme; Prometheus’ motivation is not just to take Oliver’s life. It’s to destroy the lives of those close to him first. To prove that everyone he contacts comes out worse, if they survive at all.

It’s a plot that isn’t exactly original, but it is effective. With the episodes’ Felicity and Curtis storylines, the point was driven home but not beaten to death. The stakes in Arrow aren’t just confined to it’s title character.
Man, imagine if she had actually answered the question, instead of giving the most formulaic, petulant, uniformed answer that cold have been possibly written for her? I’ve been surprised by some of the shows narrative continuity so far – callbacks to previous episodes that impressed me, and conversations I once thought to be inane that turned out to be at least tangentially related to the future. So the hope exists that we will actually one day find out Artemis’ motivation. But tonight, sadly, was not that night. Instead Artemis came across as little more than a child throwing a temper tantrum, lashing out for reasons even she doesn’t fully grasp.
Oliver returns to HQ to give the bad news – he tells Felicity face to face what happened, as I did two paragraphs ago with less word. Let me tell you something, Stephen Amell nails this moment. Daniel Day Lewis he may never be, but the actor – after five years – has become this character. His portrayal of internal conflict, and of remorse, is actually more effective than when he growls, and attempts to intimidate as his alter-ego. And we can’t ignore the bar he is trying to clear – CW Superhero shows aren’t acting showcases, nor should they be – but when Amell is called upon to emote, he answers the bell.
The show is making a point here, about “unintended consequences”, as they are called by Diggle. It’s extemely topical in the year that gave us Captain America: Civil War and whatever that thing was they called Batman vs. Superman. And it suffers from the same infliction that those films did. Superhero stories that ask questions about collateral damage and blowback are only going to receive one answer “Sure, but… Its superheroes we’re talking about”.

As in, yes if this stuff were real, blowback and collateral damage would be real concerns. But at the end of the day, if i’m watching Stephen Amell do Kabuki Theater in tights on a Wednesday, I’m going to have a hard time feeling as though the Green Arrow shouldn’t fight crime, lest he create enemies.

Except, the show did exactly that tonight. And for all the awful – and it is truly awful – dialogue that Arrow occasionally features, the stakes were cemented in the episodes final exchange between Oliver and Felicity; one that both actors, again, nailed.

Oh, and of course Arrow couldn’t just let a great episode stand on it’s own merit – wouldn’t want to risk people forgetting to tune back in come January. So we got a superfluous reveal in tonight’s final seconds:

Laurel is back....

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Arrow’s Winter Finale Hits Us Where It Hurts – With Three Arrows In The Heart
Verena Cote   Dec. 8, 2016
http://www.4ye.co.uk/2016/12/arrows-winter-finale-hits-us-where-it-hurts-with-three-arrows-in-the-heart/

How to write this week’s Arrow recap without the use of expletives? After last week’s sweet and fun crossover adventure, Arrow jumps right back in to remind us that it is the darkest of the four superhero shows. The season five winter finale “What We Leave Behind” proves that getting attached is never a good thing, and that trust never comes easy for a reason.
One thing we couldn’t’ help but love about this episode is the use of flashbacks. Truth be told, season’s five Russia flashbacks are already a major step up from Hong Kong or the dreaded return to Lian Yu in season four. Seeing some “missed moments” from the good old times is incredibly fulfilling.

We love Oliver and Diggle’s early camaraderie and the sweet little Olicity moment that the powers that be included in the episode had us sob. The return of the red pen. Even Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards understand its significance, possibly better than anyone else.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Arrow 5×09 Review: Unintended Consequences
ALYSSA BARBIERI   Dec. 8, 2016
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-5x09-review-unintended-consequences/

Arrow writers, You have failed this audience.
But there were some things that kind of ruined it as a whole for me. And unfortunately those outweighed the good. I hated how the writers continue to drive this reporter chick down our throats. How they’re trying to make it believable that Oliver, who is the definition of trust issues, would trust this woman after knowing her all of five minutes. How they’re trying to make it believable that Felicity would be left alone – crying – in her apartment after Oliver killed a certain someone while Oliver went to make out with this reporter chick. How everyone’s all “poor Oliver” after Oliver killed Felicity’s boyfriend. The misogyny and lack of logic is not only disappointing but it’s ludicrous.
I was never the biggest fan of Laurel Lance. But I actually liked her character last season. I cried when she died. But if the writers are bringing Laurel back – the real Laurel – then they officially cannot be trusted with anything. They will have defied their own rules. They will have shown that they cater to a certain fan base instead of just letting the characters tell the story.
If Prometheus really is the son of that man that Oliver killed I’m going to be really disappointed. But with that said, I am so impressed by who Prometheus is as a Big Bad. I don’t think we’ve seen someone exert psychological warfare in this way before. It’s really truly terrifying and intriguing at the same time.
Prometheus was talking about how he was going to turn everyone Oliver cares about against him. About how anyone close to him gets hurt. Prometheus has done his homework. He knows that Felicity is the most important person in Oliver’s life. He knows the depths to which he loves her. So if he could get Felicity to turn against him, he knew that it would break Oliver.
But Prometheus isn’t as smart as he thinks. What he doesn’t understand is the depth of Oliver and Felicity’s relationship. They’ve endured so much, stuck by each other through so much, you don’t get much closer than Oliver and Felicity. But they’re also incredibly smart.
I don’t see this hindering their relationship so much as this stupid reporter lady is hindering it. That’s why they planted the seed so early. They knew they were going to kill Malone, they wanted drama, they want Felicity to pine after Oliver ala seasons 1 and 2; they wanted to do all of this before they put them back together again.
Watching these flashbacks – watching Oliver and Diggle in the Foundry arguing about Oliver’s mission and watching Oliver and Felicity interact before they were officially on the same team – was the most satisfying set of flashbacks that I’ve seen in this series.

Why? Well sure it had to do with the Oliver & Diggle and Oliver & Felicity interactions – Original Team Arrow scenes are always the best and most organic. But it also had to do with how they tied into the present, which is something that the Island flashbacks have tried and mostly failed to accomplish.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

When did Felicity pine? I don't remember that at all. I do remember fans and media alike painting Felicity into that trope (geeky girl pining over the hot jock who's with the cheerleader).  I don't remember that in the show. Yeah the occasional comments (gorgeous laurel, hot reporter) but, that's not really pining, IMO.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 8

Apparently verbal diarrhea + healthy appreciation for Oliver's good looks = pining. At least, that's what was implied to me by my comics-savvy friends. (Of course, they also referred to Felicity as "that blond girl", so take their interpretation for what it's worth.)

• Love 5
12 hours ago, tv echo said:

Arrow 5×09 Review: Unintended Consequences
ALYSSA BARBIERI   Dec. 8, 2016
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-5x09-review-unintended-consequences/

Watching these flashbacks – watching Oliver and Diggle in the Foundry arguing about Oliver’s mission and watching Oliver and Felicity interact before they were officially on the same team – was the most satisfying set of flashbacks that I’ve seen in this series.

Why? Well sure it had to do with the Oliver & Diggle and Oliver & Felicity interactions – Original Team Arrow scenes are always the best and most organic. But it also had to do with how they tied into the present, which is something that the Island flashbacks have tried and mostly failed to accomplish.

This is something that I did really notice about the flashbacks. It was soooo nice not just to have the lair uncluttered without needless opinions and bodies just taking up space (and lines) but it was so nice to see how well the team functioned, even at this early stage of not quite together.  

Forget crossovers once a year, how about at least once a year give us an all OTA episode?  Or at least stick the rest into the B story.  They kinda sorta did that last year where they actually had Felicity refer to them as the original gangsters, but next time I want no one still holding a grudge.  Kind of lessened my fun, lol.   

12 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

When did Felicity pine? I don't remember that at all. I do remember fans and media alike painting Felicity into that trope (geeky girl pining over the hot jock who's with the cheerleader).  I don't remember that in the show. Yeah the occasional comments (gorgeous laurel, hot reporter) but, that's not really pining, IMO.

Yeah, I think they substitute "is attracted, likes and admires him" to pinning.  Maybe because she wasn't dating anyone else?  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3