Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

TVLine is asking readers to send in their 2017 TV wishes.  If anyone wants to send in Arrow-related wishes, the contact info is in the post.

TVLine wants to know what’s on your wish list for 2017, and here’s how to tell us: Email your No. 1 most pressing small-screen hope WITH THE SUBJECT LINE “WISH LIST” to feedback@tvline.com or use the Contact Uspage.

Are you keeping your fingers and toes crossed for a bubble show’s renewal? Is there a couple you hope reunites? (Or hooks up for a first time?) What about an actor you would love to see back on TV? We want to hear your most urgent request for 2017!

If you’ve got a singular, No. 1 dream for the television new year, share it with us. For example: “I wish for This Is Us to have more scenes with the Big 3 together. I love the sibling dynamics!” But please, just one (1) wish per reader. We’re no genies, after all.

http://tvline.com/2016/12/19/tv-wish-list-2017-renewals-guest-stars-pilots/

• Love 2

Marc Guggenheim: There are "A Few Felicities" On Netflix's Trollhunters
Russ Burlingame   12/20/2016
http://comicbook.com/2016/12/21/marc-guggenheim-there-are-a-few-felicities-on-netflixs-trollhunt/

When ComicBook.com recently spoke with Arrow executive producer Marc Guggenheim about his forthcoming Netflix series Trollhunters, we asked: Is there a surprise breakout character he found during the course of the series, a la Felicity Smoak on Arrow? He said yes -- more than one.

"I want to say that Toby is, that Charlie Saxton's character is kind of like that comedy gold that you just can't wait for people to watch and see," Guggenheim said. "We did a screening of the two-part pilot [last week] for press and public. I have to say, even though I had seen obviously the pilot countless times by this point, I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it held up for me and how ... Like normally by this point, I've become very jaded or I'm sick of watching it, or I'm starting to view it through the audience's eyes and start to think the bloom starts to fall off the rose for me, and that didn't happen on this project. I just sat there watching going like, 'Wow. I think people are going to enjoy seeing this character. They're going to enjoy meeting that character. I think that that moment's going to play.' I'm very bullish on the series. I feel like we've got a few Felicities in there, if you will. Hopefully my prediction proves to be accurate."
He also compared the process of "discovering" Emily Bett Rickards's Felicity to something that could happen on a Netflix show, in the sense that she was included in the series so early that her role essentially came without audience input.

"Let me just jump back to Felicity for a second," Guggenheim explained. "I'll say that we basically had produced five episodes of Arrow before we premiered. Emily started in episode three. We actually did have a reasonable number of episodes in the can with Emily before anyone met her because also, again, we had five episodes, but by the time we premiered, so that was, again, three weeks after we premiered, we probably had like eight episodes in the can or at least seven episodes in the can. We had a pretty good cushion before anyone saw Emily on their TV screens."

Edited by tv echo

Two articles on Felicity currently leading the fan vote in The Hollywood Reporter's Favorite Female Character poll...

Is Arrow’s Felicity Smoak the Best Female Character of All Time?
by I. A. Melton   Dec. 20, 2016
http://culturess.com/2016/12/20/arrows-felicity-smoak-the-best-female-character-of-all-time/

Now, the Hollywood Reporter has opened the polls to allow the fans to vote for their favorite fictional female characters. And in a surprising turn of events, fans pushed Felicity Smoak to the top of the list and she’s now killing the competition. As she beats out the likes of Hermione Granger, Rey (The Force Awakens) and Daenerys Targaryen (Game of Thrones) by unfathomable margins, some people ask whether Felicity Smoak truly deserves it.
I have been watching the show since the first season. Plus, I believe the show wouldn’t have lasted past its first year without the incredible work actress Emily Bett Rickards brought to her character. She made what was supposed to be a recurring character into one of the lead roles.

Now, here’s where Arrow fans break out their pitchforks. Despite her relatability, Felicity Smoak is not the best female character of all time. Out of all the women included on the list, it makes little to no sense as to why Felicity Smoak would lead the pack.

Actually, I take it back. It does make sense.

And that’s because The CW, DC and Arrow fanbases have come out to support their character. We have seen this group of fans flex its muscles before. Previously, Emily Bett Rickards almost won the crown for Girl on Top of 2015.

So, give a round of applause to the Arrow fanbase for their support of all their characters, past and present. They know how to get the word out and organize themselves to make sure their presence is known. And in defense of the fans, it’s really their responsibility. Unfortunately, The CW is notoriously lazy when it comes to public relations.

What Makes Arrow’s Felicity Smoak a Great Character
Amy Woolsey  Dec. 20, 2016
http://culturess.com/2016/12/20/makes-arrows-felicity-smoak-great-character/

Felicity doesn’t have the history of Princess Leia or Ellen Ripley. Being a CW show, Arrow has a niche audience. It isn’t a cultural phenomenon the way Game of Thrones is. But none of that changes the fact that Felicity is badass. Here’s why she would deserve to win the Hollywood Reporter bracket.
At first, Felicity wasn’t supposed to be a main character. Actress Emily Bett Rickards originally joined Arrow for a one-episode guest appearancn to a recurring role and, after the first season, a series regular. Now, almost halfway through season five, Felicity feels as essential to the show as Stephen Amell’s billionaire vigilante Oliver Queen. (Some might argue she’s more essential than he.) It’s easy to see why she became a fan favorite.

When we meet Felicity, she is an IT technician at Queen Consolidated, the company owned by Oliver’s family. Oliver arrives at her desk with a damaged laptop he confiscated during a night of crime-fighting and asks if she can salvage any information from it. From the instant we see her sitting in that swivel chair with a pen between her lips, sporting a pink blouse, her blond hair pulled back in a ponytail, it’s obvious that Felicity is not your stereotypical tech genius. Bett Rickards lights up the screen, displaying a keen sense of comic timing (“Right, but he’s dead – I mean, drowned”) and an infectious vivacity that offsets the show’s otherwise grim tone.
Not coincidentally, Arrow found its groove once Felicity became a consistent presence. Despite being one of the few major characters without a superhero identity, she never feels left out. She’s the brains of Team Arrow as well as its heart. Her hacking skills prove invaluable time and again. Besides, her sunny sincerity is a necessary and refreshing contrast to Oliver’s brooding intensity. She may not be able to fire an arrow with pinpoint accuracy or win a duel in hand-to-hand combat, but she refuses to be daunted by the comic-book theatrics around her. She’s always ready with a deadly quip or pump-up speech.

Admittedly, the show hasn’t always known what to do with Felicity since making her romantic relationship with Oliver official. Too often, Arrow resorts to melodrama. But to the credit of the writers and Bett Rickards, being a love interest hasn’t denied Felicity her personality or agency. She’s tough and vulnerable, confident and insecure, funny and emotional. She doesn’t hesitate to argue with Oliver, making it clear that she won’t compromise her desires and ideals to fit his, but you also understand why she sticks by him in the end. After all, beneath her bubbly demeanor, Felicity has her own dark side – regrets, fears, and insecurities that help make her the compassionate, brilliant person she is (see especially the episode “A.W.O.L.”).

Oh, and even if Arrow refuses to confirm it, she is definitely not straight.
In short, she proves that superhero girlfriends can be more than blandly supportive damsels-in-distress. The Marvel and DC film franchises should take note.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

About the straight line.... I'm a little confused. I read the excerpt and it seems to me that perhaps the writer is intending that FS is not straight in the sense of good/bad - perhaps harking back to the expression straight as arrow or the "straight man" in duos. And in that way I do agree with that idea. I do not believe FS is 100% good, everybody has a blend of good and bad. It is very hard to find any character IRL or in entertainment that is straight as an arrow. And I for one, would love to see the darker side of FS be played out.

If it's relating to her sexuality... well that is really coming out of the blue. Nothing in Arrow or the crossovers have indicated that FS is sexually/romantically interested in females as all. All of her love interests and crushes have been male. They barely even let her talk to another female or have female friendships.... I really can't see anyone having any basis to make an argument that FS is a lesbian or bisexual. There is just no evidence for those theories. Perhaps the author wants it to be so, but that is wishful thinking not factual analysis.

• Love 2

I don't get the point of the anti article. The title of the poll is "Vote for your Favorite Female Character of All Time", not "Vote for the Best Female Character of All Time." Why does the author think she's the arbiter of which characters are more beloved, and that Felicity can't possibly be liked by more than say, the Halliwell sisters from Charmed? 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, lemotomato said:

I don't get the point of the anti article. The title of the poll is "Vote for your Favorite Female Character of All Time", not "Vote for the Best Female Character of All Time." Why does the author think she's the arbiter of which characters are more beloved, and that Felicity can't possibly be liked by more than say, the Halliwell sisters from Charmed? 

I find that one weird because it starts with why-is-she-winning-this, then veers off into congratulating fans on their efforts, and finally puts down the CW marketing. It's all over the place.

Yeah the CW marketing jab was weird and I don't see how it relates to the rest of the article unless the writer is speculating that there is over exposure of Felicity in the marketing and that's why she's so popular which if so ..... Hahahahaha. Yeah no.

Wait, Felicity is not straight? That's....new.  I mean I legit don't get that one.  I mean she has female friends and she finds other women pretty but that doesn't necessarily make her not straight unless that means I too, am not straight because I have female friends and find other women pretty/sexy. 

Welp, I have a lot to think about now. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

It's weird because while the article headline is "Favorite Female Character" the URL says best female character. And I've seen THR tweets use "best" and "favorite" interchangeably

Capture.JPG

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
10 hours ago, kismet said:

read the excerpt and it seems to me that perhaps the writer is intending that FS is not straight in the sense of good/bad - perhaps harking back to the expression straight as arrow or the "straight man" in duos.

No, the author pretty much meant "Felicity is not straight" as "Felicity is bisexual". There's no other meaning to it. Plus, it's fandom, people have sexuality headcanons for their favorite characters all the time. *shrugs*

ARROW’S STEPHEN AMELL HITS MARKETING BULL’S EYE
Posted on December 21, 2016 by Beth Negus Viveiros
http://www.chiefmarketer.com/blog/arrows-stephen-amell-hits-marketing-bulls-eye/

And well, why shouldn’t he? The actor has a fun day job, playing the superhero Green Arrow on the CW’s “Arrow.” In his spare time, he co-founded Nocking Point wine club, which was the subject of an interesting profile in The New York Times last week.

Amell deftly used his vast social media followings on Facebook and Twitter to spread the word about the club. He communicates regularly with fans via social—Amell was one of the first to use Facebook Live to chat with his followers.

Edited by tv echo

Explains a lot (sorry, too snarky?)...

Marc Guggenheim: From Del Toro’s Trollhunters to Marvel’s X-Men
Scott Huver   Dec. 22, 2016
http://www.cbr.com/marc-guggenheim-from-del-toros-trollhunters-to-a-classic-roster-of-marvels-x-men/

Tell me about what it’s like to be right at the center of this very special moment in entertainment for pop culture and genre material.
.  .  .
I will say it’s very, very surreal, because I always approach these things really as a fan first. Fundamentally, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten away from being a ten-year-old boy. I think I still look at everything through that particular lens.

Back when I was ten years old, comic books was this sort of ugly little corner of the pop culture world. It didn’t get any respect. Everyone associated with comics was [treated] like, “Oh, that’s not real writing. That’s not real art. Oh, comics books are the ‘Batman’ 1966 show.” It’s all Bam! Zap! and Pow! It’s not serious and it’s not sophisticated.

Sci-fi similarly, any of the things we call genre didn’t get any respect. I remember being a kid and being kind of very conscious of the fact that “E.T.” didn’t win best picture that year. It lost out to “Gandhi.” “Raiders of the Lost Ark” – anything that was genre, it was never getting mainstream respect.

So now, looking at the world we live in, it’s kind of incredible that ten-year-old in me never envisioned anything like this. I’m incredibly fortunate, because there are some incredibly talented people, obviously, working in genre. One of the things I’ve sort of prided myself on when I try to make decisions about what projects to take on is “Don’t work with assholes.” I’m very, very lucky. I’ve managed to partner up with people who are not only very good at what they do, but they’re also quality people.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Two times that MG has used the "cart dragging the horse" metaphor in interviews...

CS Interview: Marc Guggenheim Takes You Inside Trollhunters
Silas Lesnick  December 21, 2016
http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/features/797055-marc-guggenheim-trollhunters

CS: With 23 episodes available all on the same day, “Trollhunters” certainly lends itself to binge viewing. Is the fact that you have audiences happy to take in the series that way something that you have to consider as you’re planning the series?
Marc Guggenheim: I would say just a little bit. I’m always a proponent of the cart not dragging the horse. But I also try to keep very mindful of the fact that there’s a cart. I think, for us, the idea that it could be potentially binge-watched was advantageous. We always wanted to tell a serialized story, but every episode has a plot with a beginning, middle and an end, but there’s also a mythology that we’re building out over the course of the series. All of that is great for binge watching. There are episodes that end in cliffhangers and then we’re rising to certain crescendos throughout the season. It was sort of constructed with an eye towards dramatic rising and falling of narrative. At the same time, I think the best approach on our end is to know how it could be consumed and then to let go of that. Just be aware that this is how many people watch and let that influence in a very background way the storytelling. At the end of the day, regardless of how it’s consumed, you have to tell a good story. If you’re focused too much on the platform, you’re not focusing on what’s really important.

ARROW'S EXECUTIVE PRODUCER SHARES THE SECRET TO FELICITY AND OLIVER'S CHEMISTRY
Kaitlin Menza  May 14, 2014
http://okmagazine.com/meet-the-stars/arrows-executive-producer-shares-the-secret-to-felicity-and-olivers-chemistry/

OK!: Do you choose the DC characters and fit them into the show, or do you have scenarios and then figure out who would fit into that plot?
MG: We create plots and scenarios, and then figure. We come up with the story first, and design characters to fit the story, then we open up our DC encyclopedia, and go, “Okay. Who does this, this, and this? Is this close enough to any DC characters currently in existence?” As a general rule, we don’t start with the character and try to fit a story around them. The danger is in that is the cart can drag the horse.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

So MG just basically admitted that his stories and characters are scenario & plot driven? Here I thought he at least had some character driven parts to his storytelling, but looks like I was wrong. This also justifies my increasing disconnect with his storytelling. Sometimes, you should have a story fit around a character - especially when that character has been established for multiple seasons. Otherwise it's just an expensive game of visual Mad Libs.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Arrow has pretty much always been plot driven. At the very least, starting in S2 when MG took over writing the show full time.

Agree, but this is the first interview I have seen MG be so explicit about his storytelling process.

• Love 1

True, I don't think he's been so open about it, although comments he's made in the past seemed to confirm that he was all about his plots.

I had hoped/thought that WM would balance him out when she got promoted. Many of her early S4 interviews indicated she was more about character than plot. Not sure if that was a mis-read on my part or if MG just pulled rank in the Writers Room. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

OK!: We have a poll about the best couple you’re shipping on TV, and of course Felicity and Oliver are way up there. Why do you think they work so well together?

Marc Guggenheim: They have wonderful chemistry, which I know is probably the obvious answer. The less obvious answer is I think Felicity’s attraction to him is so obvious but also so pure, that…. it feels more like love than sex. I think people seem to respond to that.

What does that say about Oliver's other relationships to that point, Laurel, Helena, McKenna, Sara....

OK!: How often do you look to the fans for input on where to talk the show, like if they like a character or a plot, or hate it? How much do you factor that in?
MG: We love the fans, and we love that the fans are active on Twitter and are constantly giving us feedback. The practical matter is, by the time an episode airs, we’re far down the road in writing. I would say the fan feedback tends to have the most influence in terms of educating as to what it is working about the show, and what’s resonating. I wouldn’t say there’s a specific example I could point to, but I would say that the fans are present in the writers’ room.

The Good Old Days.  Now they're more interested in getting having their writing confirmed.

I thought it was interesting that Felicity's father was originally supposed to be in s2, and ended up finally being put into the tails end of s4.

OK!: To go back to Felicity and Oliver, you’ve said they are the core of the show. If they finally got together for good, would it end the tension? Do you worry about that from a narrative point of view?

MG: In the interest of not having my house carpet bombed, I should say that in that interview, I say their interactions are one of the core elements of the show. Just to keep me out of trouble. Look, I think we are lucky that we are faced with the age-old television conundrum when you have two characters with chemistry. At what point do you have them consummate that relationship? Have you written yourself into a corner? Have you prematurely brought an element to a show to a close? Those are all things we talk about in the writers’ room. Lord knows there have been plenty of shows that have given both positive and negative examples.

The one promise we made to ourselves, at the very beginning, is we would never try to drag things out just to maintain a moment. We churn through story. We don’t bide our time with anything. If something feels natural to do something in season 1, we will not wait ’til season 2 to do it. I imagine that will be our guiding principle with respect to Oliver and Felicity. At the same time, we’ve established that Felicity is not the only woman in Oliver’s life. I respect the fans who basically ship Oliver and other women. I think for us, part of the fun of writing the show is watching all of these romantic entanglements go through ups and downs. I would like for the romantic elements to be as surprising and shocking as all the other elements.

Ha, ha, ha, ha.  How do they explain the distance between Oliver and Felicity this year then?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

True, I don't think he's been so open about it, although comments he's made in the past seemed to confirm that he was all about his plots.

I had hoped/thought that WM would balance him out when she got promoted. Many of her early S4 interviews indicated she was more about character than plot. Not sure if that was a mis-read on my part or if MG just pulled rank in the Writers Room. 

Yeah, I had the same impression.  

OK!: Do you choose the DC characters and fit them into the show, or do you have scenarios and then figure out who would fit into that plot?
MG: We create plots and scenarios, and then figure. We come up with the story first, and design characters to fit the story, then we open up our DC encyclopedia, and go, “Okay. Who does this, this, and this? Is this close enough to any DC characters currently in existence?” As a general rule, we don’t start with the character and try to fit a story around them. The danger is in that is the cart can drag the horse.

I think at the time he was just talking about how they added toys from the DC toybox but I think he let slip a much bigger reality about his writing.  

• Love 2

Two Arrow wishes made it into the TVLine Readers' 2017 Wish List:

CHRISTY WISHES FOR…

“…’Olicity’ to get back together! These two have been through a lot, and I’d love to see them finally find some happiness together.”

http://tvline.com/gallery/tv-wish-list-2017/#!3/wish-list-arrow-oliver-felicity/

AARON WISHES FOR…

“…Katie Cassidy to return to either Arrow, Flash[or] Legends of Tomorrow full-time as Laurel Lance.”

http://tvline.com/gallery/tv-wish-list-2017/#!17/wish-list-arrow-laurel/

My wish was for Arrow to stop being so misogynistic (Thea and Felicity having no storylines of their own, Sara Diggle replaced), but I'll take Oliver and Felicity together as a short term one.

Some of those wishes are kind of strange like the one wishing for Root and Shaw to have a POI spin-off.  Isn't Root dead?

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, Belinea said:

https://www.tvfanatic.com/slideshows/14-tv-shows-that-alienated-their-fan-base/

Apparently Arrow's only problem is, well take a wild guess (considering the source)

... Did I really just read what I just read? You know what would really alienate a fan base of a show? Waiting until the series finale to get the couple together. I hate when that happens. I don't want to see a couple reuniting in the final moments and then have to imagine what happened next for them together.

From what I skimmed (not much) of the entire article, it's a lot of "I don't like a particular ship on a show, and therefore that show alienated its fan base with X." 

• Love 7

There are sites with agendas that if they spin the narrative that Olicity is the worst thing that happened to Arrow the writers will listen and make it true- TV fanatic is one of those sites. Not to mention they've probably got a chip on their shoulder because they arent really relevant as an entertainment blog anymore. 

But like the guy who was pushing an agenda in the Blastr interview with Wendy the writers don't play that game

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Chaser said:

*Disclaimer. We did have to remove an interview with the female lead because of our unprofessional behavior that could have been read as a personal attack against the actress yourself. But we are not holding a grudge at all and we are a totally respected  site whose opinion should be taken seriously. 

Wait, really? What interview? When? 

4 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Oh and please don't read any of our earlier articles where we said Olicity was the best thing ever before we did a total 180 and decided to be anti-anti-anti.

Because being anti anti anti is all the rage and makes us one of the cool kids don't you know?

"I'm with it I'm hip dukka dukka..."

1 minute ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Wait, really? What interview? When? 

The creator of the site interviewed Emily Bett Rickards at the 2015 SDCC and opened up the interview by asking Emily how she felt about the fact that the fans think she has ruined the show. 

They posted a video people were outraged and they took it down.

• Love 2

That article is a steaming pile of agenda. I mean the crap they wrote about Sleepy Hollow's demise is totally obfuscating what really happened. They presented it that Abby (It's spelled Abbie, you asshats) Mills "departed the show for good", as though she just left and went on a vacation. They didn't bother to mention the manner of the departure, the character assassination of both leads to accomplish said departure and the complete destruction of Ichabbie after teasing it endlessly throughout the episode prior to Abbie's "departure".  Screw that article. LOL

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

The creator of the site interviewed Emily Bett Rickards at the 2015 SDCC and opened up the interview by asking Emily how she felt about the fact that the fans think she has ruined the show. 

They posted a video people were outraged and they took it down.

WOW. How can anyone think that's an okay question to ask anyone? Do people not know how to be professional anymore? From what I've seen of those SDCC interviews, they're all short, and that is what someone uses their time to ask? And isn't there an editor or someone who should've stopped that video from being posted in the first place? 

I feel like someone should send that person all the lists that have EBR/Felicity on them (like the recent THR one).

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

WOW. How can anyone think that's an okay question to ask anyone? Do people not know how to be professional anymore? From what I've seen of those SDCC interviews, they're all short, and that is what someone uses their time to ask? And isn't there an editor or someone who should've stopped that video from being posted in the first place? 

I feel like someone should send that person all the lists that have EBR/Felicity on them (like the recent THR one).

I'm pretty sure IIRC it was the site owner/editor who conducted the interview. So I guess theirs your answer. Emily looked a little hurt when reacting to the question but she handled it like a champ.

At the same con they also tried to interview Leah Pipes which was pretty funny. They were being all super friendly to her to try and get quotes until she brought up the fact that they put her on a characters who should die or characters who were a waste of space list or something like that. Awkward. 

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 1

Way to be professional guys. And let me guess, they would be fine with her if she went back to having like one quippy scene per episode that hasn't been the case since early S1. But LL/BC should be in every scene because comics. Ah well, TVfanatic isn't exactly relevant anymore and has always been at least 2nd tier.

“…Katie Cassidy to return to either Arrow, Flash[or] Legends of Tomorrow full-time as Laurel Lance.”  

Didn't see this before, but whilst I can't say for sure what she'd want, I can't believe KC would want to be full time on either Flash or LOT. Flash is 95% Barry and everything else is background and with LOT she'd be going to the show for 2nd tier characters who couldn't anchor their own spin off and the closest thing to a main character is a character/actress who already overshadowed her once and team that already has a lot of well known names and faces. Guest spots on both might be a different matter though.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Didn't they also try to give Leah Pipes an award for worst character ever? Or something like that? I remember that year, they seemed to be all about insulting the female actors in order to get hits.

That sounds familiar. They also made comments about Iris/CP.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Not to bring KC into just because but, that woman who "interviewed EBR and asked her that ridiculous questions stans KC and LL.

Edited by EmilyBettFan

Handing Out Gifts In The DC / TV Universes
Dan Wickline  December 25, 2016
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/12/25/hanging-gifts-dc-tv-universes/

It’s Christmas and everyone wants to open a present or five. So, I’ve come up with the gifts I think that the writers of the DC/TV shows should get for some of their characters. Little things that might stave off a plot point that has happened a few too many times.
Let’s hop the express from Central City to Star City and check in on Christmas morning for Quentin Lance. Now, the obvious gift for him would be one of those little signs that say “Dad’s Mood Is…” And you can flip between good and bad. Well, Lance needs one that says “Sara Is Currently… “ And it flips between alive and dead. He needs a second for Laurel as well so he can keep track. The writers should be ashamed of what they are putting that poor man through.
While we are in the area, lets swing by Felicity Smoak’s place and give her a year membership to a dating website. But we need to help her fill out her profile. She’s looking for a man who likes to sit around the house, that runs from danger and thinks a salmon ladder is something you get at a sushi restaurant. So far she’s had a think[sic] for Oliver Queen, Barry Allen, Ray Palmer and none of those worked out. She tried dating a cop and that didn’t end well and even her best friend is now going out and getting beaten up. She really needs a lazy man in her life.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

TVOvermind 2017 Wish List: The Continuing Rise of Quality Television 
Araceli Aviles+  December 29, 2016
http://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/tvovermind-2017-wish-list-continuing-rise-quality-television

... Now it’s time to look forward to the what we’ll see on our screens in 2017. We hope you’ll agree with some of our assessments, and continue checking in next year.
Nick H.– Less fandom outrage. Let me explain: Being a fan of something is okay. Hoping for two characters to be in a relationship, or rooting for said relationship to succeed or fail is okay. What is NOT okay is name calling, bullying, or treating someone as lesser for their belief in the opposite. I appreciate passion coming from all sides of an argument, but arguing about chemistry between characters, implications in writing, and nuances in dialogue are not black and white scenarios. So, what I’d like to see in 2017 is fandoms coexisting. Don’t like Olicity? That’s okay, but Oliver and Felicity’s chemistry can’t be denied, so don’t be a jerk. Clexa, SwanQueen, Philinda or anything in between. Root for them passionately, but do not lose your humanity in the process.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 9

Spoiler TV  has posted their year end stats on most popular shows on their site:

Here are the Top 25 Shows. We've also included their previous scores and ranks so you can see how shows have improved/declined.
Notable stats include Arrow being the most popular show for it's first time as number 1. We also see 8 shows make the table for the first time.

Even though Arrow was down 600 hits this year, it still ranked the highest for the site.

Edited by statsgirl

Felicity is mentioned in this article about the amazing new movie, Hidden Figures, and the lack of racial/gender diversity in real life STEM jobs and the current tech industry...

‘HIDDEN FIGURES’ SPOTLIGHTS BLACK WOMEN IN STEM
BY GISELLE DEFARES   January 1, 2017
http://www.crixeo.com/hidden-figures-black-women-in-stem-program/

In 2017, there’s still a huge disparity when it comes to representation of women — particularly women of color — in tech. Despite marketing efforts to attract young women into STEM programs, the NCWIT reports that 25% of the information technology workforce are women and less than 10% are women of color.

According to a study provided by NGCP, women’s involvement in STEM jobs is far behind that of men. We’re living in a high-tech, digital world. Success is distributed unevenly and women (of color, in particular) have to be prepared and work really smart to even get a foot in the door. Yet more diversity in the tech industry has documented benefits. Research shows gender-balanced teams outperform homogenous teams in terms of productivity, organizational effectiveness and financial health.
When female hackers are shown in films, they’re usually portrayed as young, thin, conventionally attractive, leather clad… Think the stoic yet highly skilled hacker Trinity in The Matrix, the wide-eyed cybersecurity specialist Angela Bennett in The Net and the tough girl with the heart of gold Lisbeth Salander in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

On the small screen female techs are often molded in the trope of the “secret” computer wiz who nobody, at first sight, suspects is handy with computers. This reflects stereotypes about who is — and who isn’t — adept with technology. Examples include Willow Rosenberg in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, junior sleuth Cindy Mackenzie in Veronica Mars and technical analyst Penelope Garcia in Criminal Minds. And then there’s the shining example: cute superhacker Felicity Smoak in CW’s Arrow.
In contrast with media representations, historically women have made countless contributions to STEM. Many early computer programmers were women. The computer language Ada is named after Ada Lovelace (1815-52) because of her pioneering math work with Charles Babbage. Six female mathematicians on the WWII ENIAC project contributed to programs for one of the world’s first fully electronic general-purpose computers. Women on the original Apple Macintosh team contributed to our favorite tech and icons. Sophie Wilson, who is transgender, was responsible for the ARM processor used in most smartphones.

Though women helped to create modern tech, their accomplishments have been largely overlooked in popular culture. And with few exceptions, the small percentage of female tech wizards who have been shown on-screen have been white. But Hidden Figures is changing that.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

On the small screen female techs are often molded in the trope of the “secret” computer wiz who nobody, at first sight, suspects is handy with computers. This reflects stereotypes about who is — and who isn’t — adept with technology. Examples include Willow Rosenberg in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, junior sleuth Cindy Mackenzie in Veronica Mars and technical analyst Penelope Garcia in Criminal Minds. And then there’s the shining example: cute superhacker Felicity Smoak in CW’s Arrow.

Eh, Felicity was working in QQ computer security department. It's not like it wasn't in her job description to be openly good with computers... Same with Garcia, who is also does "computer stuff" for a living.

• Love 1

I think the writer was talking about how these women look - "who nobody, at first sight, suspects is handy with computers."  They don't have the stereotypical looks of a computer hacker (nerdy guy, goth girl). So if you didn't know what they did for a living, you wouldn't immediately think computer expert.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3