Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Go to article to see list of 37 Olicity moments (with animated gifs)...

37 Romantic Arrow Moments That Will Give You Hope for Oliver and Felicity
August 31, 2016 by MAGGIE PEHANICK
http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Arrow-Felicity-Oliver-GIFs-37606163 

There's a lot to love about Arrow: the action, the villains, the sexy push-ups. But the one thing that truly keeps us coming back for more has to be Oliver's (Stephen Amell) intense relationship with Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) — aka Olicity. The two start out as co-workers, but become so much more over the course of the show. Unfortunately, right now things aren't going so well for their romance. Never you mind! Until we see them inevitably together again, let's just bask in all these perfect moments from seasons past.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Generally positive review of S4...

Tights and Pride in 'Arrow
The Complete Fourth Season'

BY J.C. MACEK III   7 September 2016
http://www.popmatters.com/review/arrow-the-complete-fourth-season-tights-and-pride/

Of course, the whole thing is moot unless the shows are good. Arrow, as the first of the bunch, is and has to be. Arrow started out playing it safe, being more of a dark, violent action show with shadows of LOST and a vague DC Comics basis, it slowly turned on the superhero element until, by the fourth season, we’re actually seeing a full blown superhero series surrounding a character named “Green Arrow”.
After three complete seasons, the serialized fourth season has to find a way to make Darhk and his minions in H.I.V.E. as compelling and dangerous a force as those faced previously while still developing Oliver and leading to his emergence as Green Arrow (not The Arrow or The Hood). The storyline set in the present day manages to make that work. Darhk and his army are supernatural and terrifying as well as full of surprises. There’s no predicting the way the story arc goes from episode to episode and even in the weaker entries the overarching saga remains strong. Further, villainous Malcolm Merlyn (John Barrowman) is more powerful than ever and where exactly he lies on the spectrum is as unpredictable as the rest of the show.

However, the flashbacks, though still necessary, have begun to feel tacked on and much less believable. The idea that Oliver had been trapped on the island of Lian Yu for five years was proven false in previous seasons, and the truth was more akin to a globetrotting assassin. This season he’s back on the island and evolving just as his character does in the present day making the first season feel increasingly improbable....
Standout episodes include “Green Arrow”, Oliver’s return to the costume, “Haunted”, the long awaited appearance of John Constantine (Matt Ryan) in both timelines and “Schism” when the shocking endgame takes place. Of course along the way we also get some strange episodes, like the return of the arrow-slinging villainess Cupid, the bee-controlling scientist “The Bug-Eyed Bandit” and an imposter Black Canary. Again, however, even in these strange ups and downs the season on the whole (when viewed as something of a 1,056-minute movie) remains cohesive, compelling and fascinating.

Edited by tv echo
3 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Friends placement on that list kind of blows my mind. 

Friends is one of those shows that's pretty timeless, IMO, and easy to watch. Even though my opinion of all of the characters/ships has really changed since it began. 

8 hours ago, Angel12d said:

Friends is one of those shows that's pretty timeless, IMO, and easy to watch. Even though my opinion of all of the characters/ships has really changed since it began. 

I totally get just getting sucked in if it's on.  I've had that happen lots of times to me since it's been in reruns, but to specifically seek it out to stream surprised me.  I suppose it could be one of those shows easy to toss on in the background.    That makes sense.

Good.  Now that I'm no longer confused over Friends, I can join the rest of you pissed that anyone is still watching HIMYM.  I almost never watched it but I'm upset in principle and don't want any show runner to ever think screwing over his audience like HIMYM did is ok.   

• Love 1
On 9/15/2016 at 8:58 AM, Velocity23 said:

I'm surprised The Flash is not in the Top 20. I keep seeing it in the "Popular on Netflix" lineup when I'm watching. In fact, Arrow doesn't show up there for me anymore. Does Netflix change those based on what you've already watched?

Edited by SmallScreenDiva

While I take a petty enjoyment in Arrow beating Flash, could the higher netflix rating be attributed to having four seasons of shows rather than two?  More episodes lead to more views.  That said, even if the higher ranking is because of more episodes, I still have the petty enjoyment I get from the season four DVDs selling well to fall back on, despite it being the worst. season. ever. according to some.

Edited by thegirlsleuth
extra pettiness
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

While I take a petty enjoyment in Arrow beating Flash, could the higher netflix rating be attributed to having four seasons of shows rather than two?  More episodes lead to more views.  That said, even if the higher ranking is because of more episodes, I still have the petty enjoyment I get from the season four DVDs selling well to fall back on, despite it being the worst. season. ever. according to some.

The article mentions how many accounts viewed some of the shows/movies, so it doesn't seem like they're counting how many episodes were watched, just how many accounts watched any given show/movie. 

Is The Flash even on Netflix? I just did a search on Netflix and couldn't find it. So it's probably not even available on Netflix, at least here in The Netherlands. That would explain why it's not in the top 20.

Last night I was watching something on TNT and saw an ad for syndicated Arrow. They showed the Arrow logo and then a GA silhouette with the voiceover saying "Arrow... is coming this October on TNT."  (I assume they'll start with S1.)

• Love 2

This is the issue that contains the EBR feature (remember this photoshoot?)...

Fall/Winter 2016
The Indulgence Issue
204 pages
Covers with Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Bryce Dallas Howard, Cobie Smulders, and Maika Monroe.
Featuring Naya Rivera, Katherine Mcnamara, Danielle Panabaker, Robyn Lawley, Karrueche Tran, and Emily Bett Rickards.

http://vvvmag.com/

Edited by tv echo

Although it's not clear, I believe this Q&A was taken from EBR's feature in VVV Magazine (which is mentioned, along with an EBR pic from her VVV photoshoot)...

Emily Bett Rickards' Favorite Superhero Is The Best Superhero Of Them All
WED, 28 SEPTEMBER 2016 AT 4:20 PM 
http://www.justjaredjr.com/2016/09/28/emily-bett-rickards-favorite-superhero-is-the-best-superhero-of-them-all/

On her reaction to Felicity’s paralysis: I was shocked. My brain started racing to find answers. I asked if it was permanent. How does she find out? What are we going to be able to show of her emotional growth on learning how to adjust to this entirely new way of movement and life — I’m still not even making sense. It was a difficult story to tell, and I continue to say that I hope we were at least able to scratch the surface of what life would become for someone but I wish we had the time to have gone deeper.
On having a devoted fanbase from Arrow and being a part of the universe: It’s educational and rewarding! I didn’t know much about the comics when I started off so I have learned a lot about eras as well as character trajectory and how stories eve love across different platforms. It can be intense and overwhelming but that’s because the universe is so big it has the potential to be endless, and that is very special.

Edited by tv echo

"If somebody wanted to do a convention every weekend, they could make more on the convention circuit than their episodic fee," says Arrow star Stephen Amell, who became so enamored of the festival business that he started his own talent agency, WFA Entertainment, to help other actors navigate the space (and score a buck for himself). The actor, who is said to have irked traditional agents by competing with them, says he "wanted to control the whole front- and backend of my operation. I didn't see a need for representation." One source deeply involved in the convention circuit estimates that Amell walks away with $250,000 a weekend — more than he makes per episode for Arrow — though he denies that figure.

• Love 1

I'm a little confused by the talent agency thing - did he create one to get a cut of bookings just for cons, or is that an actual legit agency for other gigs as well?

The actor, who is said to have irked traditional agents by competing with them, says he "wanted to control the whole front- and backend of my operation. I didn't see a need for representation."

I can't tell if he's saying he acts as his own agent in all dealings or just in con stuff. I also think it's pretty funny that he got such a major focus in a mag like THR is because he's so great at monetizing fandom, haha.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3

This kind of makes the regular con goers seem even worse for not attending the Orlando charity con. I'm not singling anyone out, but there were a lot of them. Obviously, they don't make as much as SA, but it seems that they raked a fair amount of money this way. Which is completely fair. But it would have been nice to do one for charity after benefitting like they have.

• Love 1

It  sounds to me like it's an agency only booking cons, but I figure if he's repping other actors, those actors' agents aren't getting the cut from their con circuit appearances -- those are going to Steve.

The hilarious part for me re: cons is that they monetize fandom twice -- once for asking money for photos/autographs/etc, and once for using almost exclusively volunteer work of fandom people during the con. It's super easy to collect garbage bags of money when you're not paying employees.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

The hilarious part for me re: cons is that they monetize fandom twice -- once for asking money for photos/autographs/etc, and once for using almost exclusively volunteer work of fandom people during the con. It's super easy to collect garbage bags of money when you're not paying employees.

Yikes. I hadn't even thought of that. 

Just now, bijoux said:

The volunteers system sounds super odd to me.

Yeah, it's a super easy and legal! way to save tons of money. The movie festival circuit [disclaimer: of which I am a paid employee] works the same way. Most festivals do "pay" volunteers in movie tickets, but it's ultimately about NOT spending money in paid temp employees.

I guess cons "pay" volunteers with closer access to talent? A free photo/auto combo? It's always something like that.

Also from that same Hollywood Reporter article:

"There are plenty of people who can command six figures — plenty can make seven figures any given year," says one agency insider. Amell has a profit participation stake in the Heroes and Villains Fan Fest, which has six events in different cities scheduled through October 2017. HVFF is not profitable yet, but in success the actor will receive a cut of the gate as well as photo and autograph revenue from those involved — without even having to be there (and more if he booked the talent).
That decision, however, can prove shortsighted. Multiple producers say if guest or recurring actors turn them down in favor of conventions, they likely won't get called again. In some cases, genre shows have started putting their superhero boot down on talent who ask for time off to do a fan event. But some producers use the second revenue stream to lure talent to genre shows. "In a world where residuals don't mean as much, conventions are like residuals," says Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow executive producer Marc Guggenheim. Adds Staite, "My actor friends are always saying how much they're dying for a genre show just to break into the convention world."
With stars like Evans, Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston joining such talent as Lou Ferrigno (The Incredible Hulk), Kevin Sorbo (Hercules) and the cast of Buffy on the circuit, the stigma of a convention paycheck has all but vanished. A-listers can judiciously attend paid fan events without damaging their brand or impacting their ability to command a seven- or eight-figure payday. It's all considered marketing — paid marketing. "The way people used to think about conventions — and some still do — was that it was someplace actors who had fame early on went as almost a last resort," says Amell. "And that's just not true anymore."

Example: Poppy - one recurring role for one season on Arrow, and she's booked for two cons this year.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I guess cons "pay" volunteers with closer access to talent? A free photo/auto combo? It's always something like that.

When HVFF first started out, they were offering a signature, I think? Maybe a photo op was included too, but it was for the last hour of the last day of the con, and was subject to actor availability. I don't know if they've changed that since. 

• Love 1

That whole thing is ridiculous and is why I I don't do conventions.   And I'm actually pretty bothered that in that entire article there was only one mention of a celebrity giving back to charity.   If you can take 250,000 bucks home with you, you can give a few thousand to a good cause. 

I've never been to a con but I don't get the impression anything underhanded is going on. Those who buy con tickets and autos and photo ops are not being tricked or misled into spending their money on this stuff. The 'product' is obviously in demand, so the notion people are profiting from it isn't terribly surprising. 

• Love 6

For me it's because it didn't used to be this big money making business. The celebrities were paid to show up but they didn't make any money off of autographs or photo ops because they were free. The charging tons of money for them is a more recent development that just keeps going up. 

• Love 3

I don't think article or anyone here is insinuating that anything underhanded is going on. Just seems like the amount of money that people are making ($100,000-$250,000 for one weekend worth of work is a lot) is a little shocking to those who didn't have any idea, and the article's revelation that SA has positioned himself to get an even bigger cut of an already large cut of money is kind of a surprise. I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing it - if he can charge $80 for a pic and people will pay it, more power to him, I guess.

• Love 4

I do think 250k for one weekend is a bit obscene but that's Hollywood for you. But if you have the chance to make easy money, go for it. The only thing I side eye is the fact that it seems like the volunteers get nothing but a photo op and autograph but at the same time they are volunteering and no one is making them do it so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯