Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

She is still Olivers friend, that is enough of a relationship, pecking order of how you joined the group has no barring on why anyone should get screentime. She's a main character, been there since day 1, they should give her screen time. If you have characters that part of your main cast, they should get screentime/storylines. 23 episodes is more then enough for everyone.

She is still Olivers friend, that is enough of a relationship, pecking order of how you joined the group has no barring on why anyone should get screentime. She's a main character, been there since day 1, they should give her screen time. If you have characters that part of your main cast, they should get screentime/storylines. 23 episodes is more then enough for everyone.

She's had her own arc every single season. The actual screen time may not be as high as others, but she has her own story apart from them, which not everyone does. Not really sure what the complaint is there.

• Love 8

You're absolutely correct that every main character should be given storylines/screentime. 

Laurel has the screentime and has had a personal independent storyline every season... You know who haven't had any independent storylines ever since the inception of the show? Diggle & Felicity who are also main characters. They have the screen time as well (well Felicity moreso than Diggle) but they also deserve independent storylines. And having every main character have an independent storyline/arc all at once makes zero sense because that would just make everything convoluted and take away focus from the season as well as open the show up to a lot of structural issues. 

Why is it so bad for Laurel to be in the background for once in the show's run while other characters get paid their due? 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 4

I don't see where any of this is coming from. Her screentime has increased, she is on the Team interacting with everyone and she had an individual arc (Sara).

There arc was terribad and yes it was to get Sara back for a spin off, but it was her arc.

• Love 3

She's had her own arc every single season. The actual screen time may not be as high as others, but she has her own story apart from them, which not everyone does. Not really sure what the complaint is there.

Whose complaining? I'm stating why she should get screentime in opposition to someone who thinks she shouldn't get any.

I don't see where any of this is coming from.

Yeah, I don't really get it, either. In S1 she was the lead actress in name and screen time, in S2 she had her addiction storyline, in S3 she had her Black Canary storyline (Sara and Oliver were BOTH removed from the picture for that to come to the forefront), and this season so far she's brought Sara back to life. There could be more coming, who even knows.

• Love 3

Whose complaining? I'm stating why she should get screentime in opposition to someone who thinks she shouldn't get any.

I said that she shouldn't get more screentime than she has already. In response to the article that says she deserves more, without giving any reasons for why.
  • Love 1

Based on the fact that you posted an article about how Laurel should get "more" this season, and went on to argue against people who didn't think she was being shortchanged, it seemed as if you were. My apologies if that's somehow not what's going on here.

Edited by apinknightmare

Posting an article and supporting a character doesn't equate to complaining. At least not in my eyes. 

A complaint in that article is that Laurel isn't getting enough screen time, and you wrote four comments above this one that you want her to be utilized more, but...okay.

I'd like her to get zero screen time. Dead or on extended vacay or moved to Tahiti...don't care about the how. But other than Sara I dislike all the Lances. I'm pretty sure Sara is adopted.  

To be clear, I personally am complaining that she gets too much, read "any" screen time.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 10

Even with the minimal screentime she's been getting lately she still manages to annoy me with standing around with her arms crossed looking angry in team arrow scenes and with being totally unconvincing as a fighter in the little of the action scenes she does when its not her double clearly visible on screen.So I wouldn't agree she should be given more screentime.The screentime she has now causes enough issues as it is imo.I think there's a reason for the lack of focus on Laurel this season and its that the show is done with her and is focusing on the characters that have proven they work well on the show.

• Love 12

I think it's not that amount of screen time Laurel gets, more the type of screen time? If they took away one or two of her fight scenes and instead focused that time on showing her at her day job, it might go a long way to help viewers connect with her character. At the moment (imo) there is nothing that she brings to the show that another character can't. With Thea, while she mainly just fights now too, at least she as the family connection to Oliver. So while I don't really want to see more of Laurel, seeing Laurel in a different setting might be a good idea in terms of what type of screen time she gets. 

• Love 8

People want her to have a good storyline and be utilized more, nothing wrong with it.

I agree. Nothing is wrong with that.

However, there are other like me who think she has had way to many episodes dedicated to her already and should for once be in the background. There is nothing wrong with wanting this as well.

• Love 9

When you have to take out the main character (Oliver), out of his own show to give Laurel a 3 episode arc you know you have somehow failed the show in some way. Same with Sara. They completely took her out just to give Laurel a storyline. For at least 3 seasons the entire storyline for Laurel was Sara.

• Love 1
Arrow needed Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) which it didn’t have early on, and it had voiceover, which it didn’t need.

LMAO!

Oh, I love when things like this are said about Arrow. of course there will always be those who deny this but the evidence says otherwise! Arrow needed Felicity/EBR and I am glad they recognized what a gem the character was and continues to be to this day. 

• Love 8

She's such a gem that they love beating up the character emotionally lol. It's pretty fucked that the only characters on this show that don't get seriously Hurt or killed are the Masks. Tommy and Moira DEAD

Felicity Paralyzed

I'm getting pretty convinced that Quentin will be Dead by the end of the season he don't have a precious mask

• Love 5

Sara was a mask and she was killed. Thea was inbetween and is dealing with a major side effect due to a serious injury. Oliver was dealt a massive injury last season, sure it took 1-2 episodes to heal from, but

unless Felicity spends 4+ episodes in the chair, I won't see it as any kind of special treatment.

Tommy was killed in s1. Since then, it's been only female regulars (Moira, Sara, Shado) who have been killed or badly hurt.

I like it when AK reveals how important they consider Felicity to the show since the group who wants it to be just like the comments keep calling for her to be killed off or leave.

• Love 2

I've listed Hidden Remote's top 10 Arrow villains below, but you might want to read the article's reasons (ouch! Ra's al Ghul is only #6)...

'Arrow' Top 10 Villains
by Matt Lozano 32m ago
http://hiddenremote.com/2016/01/12/arrow-top-10-villains/ 

10 - Double Down
9 - Cupid
8 - The Dollmaker
7 - The Huntress
6 - Ra's al Ghul (Matt Nable)
5 - Brick
4 - Captain Boomerang
3 - Damian Darhk
2 - Malcolm Merlyn
1 - Deathstroke/Slade Wilson

Edited by tv echo

And apparently, I have no sense of style because EBR got a "win" for her GG Party dress and purse

http://www.examiner.com/article/glamour-wins-at-the-golden-globes

Some of the more extraordinary post-party style that definitely did not go unnoticed was worn by Emily Bett Rickards from the CW hit show “Arrow”. She looked stunning in a black feathered gown by Australian designer OGLIA-LORO and sported a fabulous AEVHA London Dromeda Clutch.

Crossed posted from Social Media since dress discussion was going on over there since Monday.

• Love 3

So, what would happen if they can't make a deal with Tribune? Would the CW continue on with the other affiliates, and the Tribune areas (which I unfortunately live in) would no longer get the shows, or would taking that hit force them to move to an online platform? 

Most likely the WB and CBS shopping its shows elsewhere for next season. The CW can't survive as a network without the licensing Tribune pays + ad buy revenue from those markets. An online platform wouldn't give them the same amount of money.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 1

If I were Moonves, I would put the Flash-Arrow-LOT on a Superhero Saturday on CBS when there is not football.  Move Supernatural to TNT, where most people watch anyway.   Surely, there are places across the television landscape that would bring JtV and CEx-G more exposure than the CW?   So many people write off the CW and the WB before it as teeny-bopper networks.  It's not warranted for much of the programming and has certainly resulted in some gross misjudgments over the years.  You cannot tell me that the work the Lauren Graham did on Gilmore Girls and the writing Joss Whedon did on Buffy were not Emmy-worthy and every bit as good as things that are winning today from Netflix/HBO/Showtime.  Didn't I read somewhere that there are 383 scripted shows across TV and streaming?  Surely, there's a small corner of the television abyss for The 100?  I have loved the programming on the CW and on the WB before that for 15+ years, but I don't understand how it makes any money.  I also feel bad for quality shows on this network, when, if they were on other networks, they would have received a lot more acclaim and interest.    As much as I have loved the shows, maybe it is time for this experiment to die...

• Love 1

Huh. Now I'm surprised they went and made Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow at all if they knew negotiations were going to happen this year. Flash could've found a home on CBS and Arrow on cable or Netflix/Amazon Prime. If the CW stops existing, they'll have a glut of superhero shows to manage

Yep, this show really benefits from binge watching. It's how I saw the first three seasons and even season three was easier to manage, I believe, than it was for people who were following live. And losing some dead weight in plotting could also make for tighter storytelling.

• Love 1

I'm not looking forward to the inevitable Save our Show campaigns if they have to dismantle the network.

I vote for Netflix too, because I don't have cable. I think Arrow has been mentioned as one of the more popular series they stream, so they have that going for them.

Edited by lemotomato

What happenes if they go to Netflix. Do they still do 23 episodes per season or drop to 10? 42 minute episodes or full hour long shows? Do they do a weekly rollout or follow Netflix original programming and dump the entire season at once? If they do that will the audience be around since you'll probably lose almost a year between S4 and S5?

It's all very interesting. Of course this could all be a PR/Strong Arm tactic. Or it could just be a contentious negotiation but still end up with a renewal. Or we could eventually see the end of The CW as we know it with shows getting shopped around to other networks, going online via Netflix, or via a new WB or CW streaming service.

Will be interested to see how this progresses

The question is thought: Netflix produces the Marvel shows, will they really want to add the DC ones too? I think Amazon Prime may be a better location.

But to be honest I rather Arrow move on to a cable channel, which means they will have more freedom, and are not likely to be canceled due to poor ratings on some executive whim.