Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Well now I'm super curious about where that ridiculous reaction clip comes from and whether it's meant to be just that horrible.

l think it's Bernard Bresslaw.

Edited by Pyramid
  • Love 1

In honor of Valentine's Day...

40 TV Couples Who Need to Make Up, Break Up, Hook Up or Get Engaged  [Photo Gallery]

By Team TVLine / February 13 2015, 1:03 PM PST

http://tvline.com/2015/02/13/tv-couples-break-up-hook-up-oliver-felicity/

arrow-oliver-felicity.jpg?w=513

They need to hook up Badly! But MG is all about Ray. Can't believe im getting ready to have to Fast forward Felicity scenes she's my favorite character and Ray is gross and the hate she is getting is depressing

• Love 1

Here's jbuffyangel (Jen)'s review of "Canaries".  BTW, I disagree completely with her analysis of the Laurel & Sara relationship.  I don't think Sara was the love of Laurel's life (it's a nice analysis, but it's not what we saw on screen, imo).  And as long as Laurel keeps dressing and looking like Sara as Canary, she's still trying to be her sister as far as I"m concerned.  However, I do agree with Jen's analysis of the Felicity & Oliver exchange and the sidelining of Diggle.  In any event, people are entitled to interpret an  episode any way they want.

The World Spins Madly On: The Canaries Arrow 3x13 Review
February 14, 2015
http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/110967337238/the-world-spins-madly-on-the-canaries-arrow-3x13

• Love 1

I always enjoy reading Rich Epstein's reviews at BleedingCool because they're somewhat snarky (fyi, he liked the episode overall)...

The Lessons Of Vigilantism – Recapping Arrow 3.13: ‘Canaries’
By Rich Epstein  Posted February 14, 2015
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/14/dangers-vigilantism-recapping-arrow-3-13-canaries/

Yes! Not only do we welcome back Caity Lotz as Sara Lance this week, but we open with her kicking the crap out of everybody’s least favorite Black Canary, Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy)....
Diggle reminds Oliver that if Thea finds out he’s been lying all this time he will lose her forever. Great advice, John. Keep lying. That’s always worked out so well for the Queens...
It turns out that a tracking device went off at the city docks. Oliver slipped one on Laurel while they were talking. Considering that she is now in costume, and wasn’t the last time she spoke to Oliver, I am really curious where he slipped a tracking device...
Felicity tells Laurel that “Sara wore her mask just as much to hide from her demons as she did to help people. I don’t see that with you. You have a light inside of you that Sara never had. Maybe you should stop trying to be Sara and just be yourself.” It’s a nice little speech, if only it wasn’t wasted on somebody completely useless...
Chase and Thea are naked on the couch, which is really weird, when you consider that she doesn’t live alone. It’s worse when you consider that she lives with her brother, and her father has a habit of coming in unannounced...
When she looks up, she sees her sister smiling at her. I didn’t know drugs worked like this, that you can overcome halucenogenics just by believing in yourself. I’ll have to remember that if I ever have a bad trip...
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

This entire article is worth reading if you're skeptical about Laurel's quick transition into the BC, considering the show is grounded in realism.  This writer suggests 5 living characters (Helena, Carrie, Thea, Nyssa, and Tatsu) who would make better sense than Laurel as the BC, and outlines the pros & cons of each character.

Arrow: 5 Characters That Would Make A Better Black Canary
Laura Hurley  14 Feb 2015
http://whatculture.com/tv/arrow-5-characters-that-would-make-a-better-black-canary.php

By virtue of her name, Laurel Lance had a comic destiny to one day take up the mantle of master martial artist Black Canary. Unfortunately, the character was never adequately prepared on screen. The fact that Laurel – 30 years old and canonically only trained in basic boxing and self-defense – is now able to hold her own alongside the Arrow rankles in the worst way. The show is ignoring its own precedents with Laurel’s transition into vigilantism, and the contrivances that sent her there have shaken the faith of plenty of viewers.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

This is an interesting idea, a spin-off pairing The Atom (Ray Palmer) and Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond and Martin Stein).

Five Arrow and Flash Spin-Off Miniseries We Want to See: The Atom and Firestorm

Andy Behbakht: One thing that Arrow currently struggles a little with (and something that The Flash might get into as well in future seasons) is that it’s starting to get very crowded in Starling City. While I’m not sure how I would feel about an Atom spin-off, even though I truly love Routh’s character and what they are setting up for him as The Atom, I think there is a way you can make it work with a little bit of both worlds.

From the print issue of the new TV Guide, Feb. 16 - Mar. 1, 2015 (Double Issue):

Arrow, based on DC"s Green Arrow, was the first comics adaptation to break through on TV post-Walking Dead.  When the show premiered in 2012, The CW was still smarting from the loss of Smallville, which finished a 10-year run the year before.  "When Smallville ended, The CW lost a lot of men 18 to 34, and men in general," says network president Mark Pedowitz.  "We realized we needed to do something to bring them back.  Arrow was the first real attempt."  The story of billionaire rake Oliver Queen's transformation into a vigilante quickly found an audience, and two years later came The Flash, a spinoff that's now The CW's most watched series.  The shows "brought men back," says Pedowitz.  "It broadened our audience, which made us more interesting to our affiliates and to many advertisers."

The entire article (from which that quote was taken) has now been posted online:

Graphic Content: How Comic Books Took Over TV

http://www.tvguidemagazine.com/graphic-content-how-comic-books-took-over-tv/

Edited by tv echo

Those 2 romance authors on USA Today are back to discuss "Canaries"...

2 romance authors dissect the latest episode of 'Arrow'

Allison Brennan and Lavinia Kent, Special for USA TODAY

2:56 p.m. EST February 14, 2015

http://www.usatoday.com/story/happyeverafter/2015/02/14/arrow-canaries-allison-brennan-lavinia-kent/23417657/

I checked out of that review the moment that one reviewer said that Laurel telling Quentin was a moment of "true bravery" because he gave her an out and she didn't take it. Nah, true bravery would've been telling him, you know, MONTHS AGO. And that's what it takes for you to see her true possibility as a hero? Lord, beer me strength.

• Love 15

I checked out of that review the moment that one reviewer said that Laurel telling Quentin was a moment of "true bravery" because he gave her an out and she didn't take it. Nah, true bravery would've been telling him, you know, MONTHS AGO. And that's what it takes for you to see her true possibility as a hero? Lord, beer me strength.

Perhaps they just misspoke, and actually meant, 'finally a moment where she isn't totally selfish, and thinks more about someone else than herself'.

• Love 3

Who are these romance authors? Are they good ones? Never heard of them. It's not like it's Nora Roberts or Katherine Woodiwiss or Jayne Ann Krentz or Judith McNaught or Jude Devereaux or Julie Garwood or even Johanna Lindsey right? Just seem to be two random romance writers whom i should listen to - why exactly?

Edited by romantic idiot
  • Love 1

Here's jbuffyangel (Jen)'s review of "Canaries". BTW, I disagree completely with her analysis of the Laurel & Sara relationship. I don't think Sara was the love of Laurel's life (it's a nice analysis, but it's not what we saw on screen, imo). And as long as Laurel keeps dressing and looking like Sara as Canary, she's still trying to be her sister as far as I"m concerned. However, I do agree with Jen's analysis of the Felicity & Oliver exchange and the sidelining of Diggle. In any event, people are entitled to interpret an episode any way they want.

The World Spins Madly On: The Canaries Arrow 3x13 Review

February 14, 2015

http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/110967337238/the-world-spins-madly-on-the-canaries-arrow-3x13

Probably first time thought her review had a lil too much spin on it. But like u said we all can interpret shows in our own way. Usually I agree with most of her review, but this time not so much. She had done the Sara analysis before & I thought it worked, but what they put on the screen didn't really support it. Either way she does have a more hopeful perspective on the show. Her interpretation on team arrow was good. I think it highlighted that Oliver didnt really get that he was dead and not just gone. That changes the dynamics of everything & everyone's perspective.

TV ships that need to sail this Valentine’s Day
Katie Awad 11:00 am, February 14, 2015
http://www.hypable.com/tv-ships-that-need-to-sail/

Felicity/Oliver – ‘Arrow

‘I love you but I can’t be with you because people I love get hurt.’ ‘I love you but I can’t be with you because people you love get hurt.’

Not only is that excuse old and tiresome, it also doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when it comes to Oliver and Felicity. Neither want to be with each other for fear of Felicity being targeted by Oliver’s enemies. But both are okay with her working for Oliver and being targeted by his enemies. What does it matter if they’re dating? Felicity is already deeply involved in Oliver’s life, and most everyone knows they’re in love with each other anyway. It’s season 3. Time to stop playing with the audience’s emotions and make this ship happen.

Enough is enough, just hook up already.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

A lot of people talk about the power of comic canon. I totally get that, watching them bend into some unholy positions to make Laurel Black Canary is crazy. However, romance is a totally different ballgame. Esp on a network like the CW.

Olicity brings in a lot of talk about Arrow on Media sites (social or other wise). Oliver and Laurel does not. If you look at polls, some shows will have multiple couples on there - Elena is with both brothers, Caroline has a couple guys, even Barry can be there with Iris and Caitlyn. Not Arrow. This week was the first time I saw Oliver and Laurel on a big media list. They were under worst couple. And the blurb mentioned shipping Olicity instead.

I know the show is gearing towards a male demo but they don't want to lose the talk (since the show is all about sterotypes male/action and woman/romance). And what I find really interesting, they aren't ship baiting other couples. Smallville used to ship bait. Clana was more popular then oliver and laurel, and they still baited with Chloe and Lois. It got people talking and Smallville. The Eps aren't getting that kind of talking going.

Eta: nice timing on that anti - olicty post lol

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 3

I don't even recognize those websites so that just seems like click bait to me. Not to say that their opinion isn't valid, it is, but Olicity is a big draw. It either brings out the lovers or the haters. Guaranteed hits either way. 

Also, it's interesting that this is all coming out now, like they're jumping on the bandwagon because the threat is real now. Before, Olicity was just a maybe but probably never gonna happen kind of pairing that people easily dismissed and now Oliver is very obviously in love with Felicity, that's not easy to come back from. 

Edited by Angel12d

I read the articles. The first one is by an admited huge Olicity shipper. She also commented on Felicity's issue being about Oliver aligning himself with Malcolm - love that she got. She just talks about MG saying romance is off the table for them now and it may be awhile. Nothing bashing about the couple.

The other one seems to love Felicity and thinks she deserves better than Oliver. She could be an Oliver/Laurel but she didn't mention it.

A lot of people talk about the power of comic canon. I totally get that, watching them bend into some unholy positions to make Laurel Black Canary is crazy. However, romance is a totally different ballgame. Esp on a network like the CW.

Olicity brings in a lot of talk about Arrow on Media sites (social or other wise). Oliver and Laurel does not. If you look at polls, some shows will have multiple couples on there - Elena is with both brothers, Caroline has a couple guys, even Barry can be there with Iris and Caitlyn. Not Arrow. This week was the first time I saw Oliver and Laurel on a big media list. They were under worst couple. And the blurb mentioned shipping Olicity instead.

I know the show is gearing towards a male demo but they don't want to lose the talk (since the show is all about sterotypes male/action and woman/romance). And what I find really interesting, they aren't ship baiting other couples. Smallville used to ship bait. Clana was more popular then oliver and laurel, and they still baited with Chloe and Lois. It got people talking and Smallville. The Eps aren't getting that kind of talking going.

Eta: nice timing on that anti - olicty post lol

I agree. Plus when talking about that male demo I've seen and know personally guys who love Felicity and want to see her and Oliver together and also detest laurel. Felicity is the total package very Smart, Sexy as Hell, and a strong woman

Tbh I don't mind when people are anti-Olicity. It's their opinion and preference.

It's when people are pro Lauriver that I side eye articles. Like really? But why?

Actually I very much agree.

I read the articles. The first one is by an admited huge Olicity shipper. She also commented on Felicity's issue being about Oliver aligning himself with Malcolm - love that she got. She just talks about MG saying romance is off the table for them now and it may be awhile. Nothing bashing about the couple.

The other one seems to love Felicity and thinks she deserves better than Oliver. She could be an Oliver/Laurel but she didn't mention it.

Thanks for that 10Eleven12, I didn't want to assume they were anti Olicity

That's a fair enough point.

The problem with those kinds of articles is that they bring out the Felicity bashers and it gets worse and worse (risky shift effect).  One poster complained that "Felicity is CONSTANTLY quitting the team".   I don't know how he got  CONSTANTLY out of once, but that's about the level of argument.

I think a lot of this anti-Olicity talk is happening now because Laurel is becoming BC.  It appears to be more about GA & BC than Oliver & Laurel. 

I agree, and also because Oliver and Felicity are at odds now.  It's like it's become open season to bash Felicity.

I think they expected Oliver to get all hate, because they viewd Felicity as 'untouchable' for the audience. They made sure they audience knew that Oliver loves Felicity, that this is hurting him and so on. I don't think they felt they needed to tell her side. I mean how many critics and fans where so sure she was pining for him for two seasons.

If they had actually taken the time to give Felicity a POV I don't think we would be seeing this kind of reaction.

• Love 11

Tbh I'm baffled by the Felicity hate. Genuinely confused by it because the only questionable things Felicity has done is in relation to Ray and now Laurel.

I immediately knew they would throw her under the bus sometimes when she made the device for Laurel. I've BEEN side eyeing every interaction with Ray but that's because I can't with Ray.

What else has she done wrong?

• Love 3

Other then some interactions with Ray and Laurel, I've been perfectly happy with Felicity. I don't understand it.

Part of it though is normal. I remember people loving on Delena and then they get together and suddenly everyone is hating. Part of that was the story but I really I think it happens a lot once a popular storyline is pursued. It leads to a backlash.

If it makes you feel better, at least Olicity still trends regularly. And all the talk about Black Canary and the new improved Laurel still can't support a trend or stop the character from overwhelmingly winning least favorite polls.

Felicity is taking a hit right now and Laurel may be getting a boost, but they are not switching places.

• Love 8

I'm not so much concerned about Olicity as I am Felicity. I was quite pissed off with Oliver for a good portion of season 2b that it took the entire summer hiatus to calm down. I've learnt from the writers mistakes, therefore I am skipping episodes of particular stupidity to avoid my opinion changing at all. But people actually turning on Felicity, is baffling.

• Love 3

Olicity fans just trended in the U.S. and worldwide for "Olicity Rescue Arrow 2.5" because of their excitement over the comics. There might be some Felicity hate on Facebook but on the official Arrow page, anything Felicity and Olicity related still gets more shares and likes than other characters. Haters are going to be more vocal, but as a fan, Im not fazed.

• Love 5

I'm not so much concerned about Olicity as I am Felicity. I was quite pissed off with Oliver for a good portion of season 2b that it took the entire summer hiatus to calm down. I've learnt from the writers mistakes, therefore I am skipping episodes of particular stupidity to avoid my opinion changing at all. But people actually turning on Felicity, is baffling.

See I think some of the Felicity fans weren't real fans at all. And they say sexist crap like she needs to sit down and shut up know her place and I seen one person on KsiteTv actually say she shouldn't have got a vote on whether to work with Malcolm "Cause she ain't out there getting her butt kicked" which way to diminish the fact she's been there longer than Roy and Laurel dickhead. True Felicity fans know she is still the same woman Oliver fell deeply in love with

• Love 2

I don't know why anyone is surprised. This always, always happens with love triangles. For them to work, they require the characters be dicks to one another, over more than just their relationship stuff. How do you set a character like Felicity up to be involved with 50 Shades? You alienate her from Oliver. It's done through cheap writing and illogical character choices, for all involved, and it will inevitably end with one, if not both of them, getting lots of hate from different sections of the fanbase.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2

People have already decided between Team Oliver and Team Felicity, even. Which makes me super sad because I really believe these two idiots make each other *better*, and are a complete mess apart, as the last few episodes can attest.

But audiences are supposed to react emotionally to plot developments [no matter how contrived, even], and that inevitably means choosing sides. Sadface woe.

• Love 2

People have already decided between Team Oliver and Team Felicity, even. Which makes me super sad because I really believe these two idiots make each other *better*, and are a complete mess apart, as the last few episodes can attest.

But audiences are supposed to react emotionally to plot developments [no matter how contrived, even], and that inevitably means choosing sides. Sadface woe.

They did, but love triangles are antagonistic, and rely on pitting the worst aspects of characters against one another. A love triangle is the complete antithesis of everything that worked about Oliver/Felicity in the first two seasons. But that did not stop the writers from diving headfirst into this bullshit.

• Love 3

They do make each better!! But MG must have a triangle. I've said before I won't be surprised if we see Oliver and Ray at the least almost come to blows over their views and Ms Smoaks affections and I Hate that MG is doing it.

Even though it's the basis for setting up Felicity to turn to Ray, I'm at least glad that the rift between Oliver and Felicity is due to actual ideological differences and questionable decision making on Oliver's part that I actually believe the two would clash over regardless of what their personal relationship was. Which is honestly more than I would've expected from this show lately.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 9

It just angers Me that MG once said Oliver and Felicity will be blissfully happy when they get passed their issues! You didn't have to give them issues you asshole

Even though it's the basis for setting up Felicity to turn to Ray, I'm at least glad that the rift between Oliver and Felicity is due to actual ideological differences and questionable decision making on Oliver's part that I actually believe the two would clash over regardless of what their personal relationship was. Which is honestly more than I would've expected from this show lately.

I will give MG a little credit he did say it was good Angst for the rift after 312

True that it's much better to have them disagree over ideological issues the heartaches.

If Felicity has to join Team Atom, I hope it's over Oliver deciding to team up with MM.  Both Diggle and Felicity rejected it earlier but Oliver's decision has given them no choice.  Bye, bye, autonomy.

I think some of the dislike for Felicity this season is because she's no longer bubbly and bringing fun to the lair. I've seen comments that hope she leaves with Ray. That's what you get, EPs for making Arrow the depressing show.

True that it's much better to have them disagree over ideological issues the heartaches.

If Felicity has to join Team Atom, I hope it's over Oliver deciding to team up with MM. Both Diggle and Felicity rejected it earlier but Oliver's decision has given them no choice. Bye, bye, autonomy.

I think some of the dislike for Felicity this season is because she's no longer bubbly and bringing fun to the lair. I've seen comments that hope she leaves with Ray. That's what you get, EPs for making Arrow the depressing show.

Well that's on the writers for doing that. That's who should get the blame they didn't have to give Oliver and Felicity these woes. Her scenes with Ray have been lot of depression too and she does not have to be only happy with that Goddamn stalker Ray. I'm gonna be so pissed if that's what MG does its fucking bullshit. He's not well liked Moron(MG) Edited by jay741982