Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Arrow Season 7 Episode 15 Review: “Training Day”
Chris King   March 12, 2019
https://www.tvovermind.com/arrow-season-7-episode-15-review-training-day/

In past years, the midway point of Arrow seasons has always been a bit of mess. At best, it’s entertaining filler that provides some small but fun character moments; at worst, it’s an aimless slog that does nothing to add to the overall season arc and sticks our main characters with manufactured drama. That’s why these past three episodes of Arrow have been such an absolute delight, especially this week’s hour, “Training Day,” which not only gives all of the major players in the present, including Rene and Dinah, some compelling material but also solidifies the Queen sibling duo of William and Mia as one of my favorite aspects of the series. Who ever thought that I’d say I enjoy Arrow flashbacks or flash-forwards as much or more than the current-day storylines? But thanks to characters like William and Mia and performers like Ben Lewis and Katherine McNamara, I am more invested than ever in the future storyline, and I absolutely cannot wait to see what next week’s flash-forward-centric hour, “Star City 2040,” has to offer.
But Oliver doesn’t want his child to have to search for that light. Instead, he wants him or her to be born into it and shaped by it; he wants his and Felicity’s child to experience love and compassion and comfort on a daily basis, an experience he was unable to provide to William, one that he still wants to and hopes he can provide to his son at some point. But Will Oliver and Felicity get the chance to provide that type love and lightness to Mia? Judging by the flash-forwards, I’m going to say that, unfortunately, the two of them don’t get the opportunity to do that for their daughter for too long. However, no matter what the outcome is, that doesn’t change the hope that Oliver embodies throughout “Training Day,” a hope that’s only possible because of his relationship with Felicity.
Thankfully, when Diggle brings his concerns up to Oliver and Felicity, there is no out-of-character lying or arguing, the type of behavior that plagued so much of Season 6. Instead, Oliver and Felicity share the news of Felicity’s pregnancy with Diggle, and he cannot be more ecstatic for them. “That’s amazing!” Diggle says. “This is wonderful! And also would explain a lot.” What it explains is the even more frantic nature at which Oliver and Felicity are attempting to take down criminals like Midas, but Diggle is able to give the two of them some perspective, just like he has done so many times before during so many other OTA meetings in the bunker (Also, let’s acknowledge how perfect it is that Dig finds out the news about baby Mia in the Arrowcave bunker. There’s no place better where he could have learned the news). ...
... In one of the episode’s most touching and revealing scenes, the Queen siblings listen to Felicity’s voice message, in which she apologizes for having to keep them apart their whole lives, explaining that it was necessary for their safety. It’s clear that hearing their mother’s voice provides mixed feelings for both William and Mia; it’s comforting to know that Felicity is still out there, doing her best to keep them safe, but her words also intensify the pain and longing that her two children are experiencing. All the two of them want is to have their mother back in their lives and to get some answers to the countless questions they have, which is why it’s pitch-perfect that both Mia and William immediately choose to ignore Felicity’s plan to give the coordinates to Roy, Dinah, and the rest of the team. Instead, Felicity Smoak’s daughter and son are going to over the wall together to find their mother in the Glades, hoping that, just like Felicity was for their father so many years ago, she’ll be a light in the darkness, a hero who can save them and Star City from whatever evil is coming.
- Oliver and Felicity discussing baby names was a wonderful scene in its own right, but I love that Oliver is the one who suggests the name “Mia” in honor of his mother. Plus, Felicity’s response, calling it “sweet and fiery,” is a perfect description of the Mia we’ve seen in the flash-forwards.
- It’s a small scene, but one of my favorite moments of this episode is Diggle giving Felicity the ginger chews that Lyla used during her pregnancy. More frequent friendship moments between Diggle and Felicity, please, Arrow writers. I’ve missed these kinds of scenes.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Arrow season 7, episode 15 review: Training Day
by Scott Brown   March 12, 2019
https://bamsmackpow.com/2019/03/12/arrow-season-7-episode-15-review/

A lot of the scenes set in the precinct before the first mission are played for comedy given the differences between how Team Arrow and the SCPD operate which, other than a couple of Felicity’s lines, fall flat. That idea is solid enough, but it’s simply executed incorrectly in the beginning. Post-mission though, it’s played much more dramatically, which works so much better than the comedic take on it.

Oliver starts out the episode completely opposite of how he normally is, which is stubborn and cynical, but that changes very quickly. He really begins to channel his Arrow persona in this episode, even though he’s been trying to hide it for a good amount of the season, so to see it begin to creep out again with this episode is interesting. It really sets up a fall from grace by the end of the season.
These two are great together. It’s a shame that a Mia and William team-up didn’t happen sooner in this season, because they’re absolutely fantastic together. Even with the least amount of screen time, this is probably one of the best parts of an otherwise pretty good episode.

They’re dynamic is very reminiscent of early Oliver and Felicity interactions, given the personalities of the two, which is really fun. The dynamic is different enough that it doesn’t feel like the show is copying anything, but similar enough that there’s almost a nostalgiac feel to it.
Even though some things in the episode were poorly executed, this episode of Arrow ends on a strong note with solid potential moving forward.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

ARROW 7.15 Review “Training Day”
By AMELIA EMBERWING Mar. 12, 2019 
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/03/12/arrow-7.15-review-training-day

When we saw last week’s preview for “Training Day”, it seemed certain that the episode would be a drag. No one wants to watch a team of vigilantes neutered for an episode. Well, I’ll start things off by eating crow: “Training Day” is pretty good! Though it may not be season seven’s best, there’s plenty to dig into in this little back-to-basics episode. Things finally come to a head at the SCPD, and Team Arrow has to learn to fit in with their new team by order of the Mayor. Of all the frustrations, Felicity’s are the most believable. Not because she’s pregnant, or because losing bad guys is never ideal, but because there is no faster way to infuriate a techie of any kind than lag.

With little Mia on the way, both Oliver and Felicity are in overdrive to make Star City a safer place. They’re also both delusional. The city isn’t going to magically become better because they push a little harder than they have in the last seven years, and nothing’s ever going to change if they fall back into the same routine. All the same, that drive results in Felicity finally finishing her fix-up of the Arrow Cave. It’s convenient, because they need a spot to tell Dig they’re pregnant, and he needs a spot to tell them that they’ve gotta find a compromise!

“Training Day” confirms everyone’s worry about Dinah’s Canary Cry. Her voice may have survived the attack but, for now, the Cry is broken. As is custom when a hero loses their power, Dinah goes through a bit of an existential crisis at the realization. That crisis, and the support she receives from the team is the episode’s brightest moment. Heroes are not heroes because of their powers. Heroes are heroes because of their actions!
In the future, William and Mia work together to find a way to play their mother’s message. Though Felicity Smoak may not have been William’s birth mom, she certainly helped nurture his smarts. Similarly, Mia might not have spent any time with her father, but she sure as hell has his temper. Because of that, the two make a solid team right out the gate. Felicity’s message is simple: she’s sorry, she’s glad they’re together, she wants them to go to the glades, and she doesn’t want them to look for her. Oliver and Felicity’s children also inherited their parents’ ability to listen.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Arrow, ‘Training Day’: The Focus Falls Back on Evolving Team Arrow  
BY CRAIG WACK · MARCH 12, 2019
http://oohlo.com/2019/03/12/arrow-training-day-the-focus-falls-back-on-evolving-team-arrow/

What’s the scoop:  Star City’s police academy is more homework and learning about the chain of evidence, and less about pranks and madcap fun than TV and movie led everyone to believe. Team Arrow’s members, despite their best intentions, are chafing under the rules of law and order. There’s a world of difference between getting the job done by any means necessary, and following the rules so a proper arrest that leads to a conviction can be made.
Sex and the Olicity: Oliver and Felicity rediscovering their couplehood has produced an odd side effect. After battling the forces of evil for the last seven years, Olicity would really like to wrap all that up within the next few months so their baby can be born in a better Star City (which is ironic given the last week’s news that the series is wrapping up next season). The impatience borne from that attitude has put them both at odds with their new by-the-book training. ...
Last impressions: While technically this was a wheel-spinning, filler episode with Dante only accounted for indirectly by Emiko’s brief, sinister appearance, it didn’t feel like a waste of time because of the focus on the characters. With the stint in prison and everything else that’s gone on this season, there hasn’t been a lot of opportunity for the show to take a beat and give its characters some time to process all the changes going on around them. Dinah was in the spotlight most of the episode since she is the one who has been working the hardest to make the whole deputizing of vigilantes thing work. Discovering that she’s lost her powers almost breaks her but thanks to some encouragement from Rene and Diggle, Team Arrow rides again. At long last, the team is reunited, and everyone has been given the opportunity to find some peace with their new circumstances. The series seems prepared to move forward for the home stretch of the season.

Edited by tv echo

OLIVER AND THE GANG JOIN THE SCPD; MORE FLASH FORWARD MYSTERIES IN THE LATEST ARROW
Trent Moore  March 11, 2019
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/oliver-and-the-gang-join-the-scpd-more-flash-forward-mysteries-in-the-latest-arrow

Oliver wants the deal to work out to give his crusade legitimacy and legs for the future (though you have to wonder exactly how these legalized vigilantes dovetail with the future-set story where vigilantes have become a dirty word in Star City and the Glades), and of course they work out all the kinks in the third act. Turns out it takes a bit of give and take, so the team suits up and does thing their way, while still following the rules and keeping the SCPD in the loop. We end up where it was always to be expected, with a vigilante task force able to operate with some autonomy while still being under the umbrella of the PD. Sure, it was a bit predictable, but it helped explain out a pretty large question over exactly how this all worked out logistically.

The real action, though, took place in the future. Future William and Mia continued their crusade to track down Future Felicity, and finally acquired a tape player to figure out what message she left. Turns out Felicity orchestrated pretty much everything up to this point, and left the message for Mia and William, assuming they’d be working together by the time they were able to play the recording. She tells them she kept them apart and secret to keep them safe, though we still don’t know exactly why all that went down. Felicity leaves them a message with a set of coordinates to pass on to the team, and she asks them not to come and find her.

Of course, they ignore that request, and figure out the coordinates will take them over the wall separating the city and into The Glades. So the quest for Felicity continues, and at this point, it seems pretty clear that Felicity is still alive.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow: “Training Day” Review
Taylor Cole   March 12, 2019
https://thenerdstash.com/arrow-training-day-review/

Season 7, so far, has been an amazing ride. As I’ve said in a previous review, Arrow has made a triumphant return to being the best DCTV show on television. With Daredevil now gone (unfortunately), I could really make the case for Arrow being the best superhero show still on the air. Despite that, I do feel that the writing team and the entire staff is putting everything they have in this season. The flashforwards will inevitably paint the show into a corner, from a creative point of view. With Oliver Queen unmasked as the Green Arrow, what more is there for him to accomplish as a vigilante? I’d rather Arrow go out due to these creative issues rather than poor ratings or a retread of old ideas. Oliver’s totally dying in “Crisis on Infinite Earths” though.
The opening montage was, while unnecessary, hilarious. Team Arrow doesn’t need any extra training. If anything, the roles need to be reversed. But, this entire situation was just to set up the new bunker and Dinah’s evolution as a character. As I said in my “Star City Slayer” review, I was looking forward to Dinah’s motivations and her arc going forward. She is caught up in two different worlds and doesn’t want to betray either of them. On top of that, she no longer has her canary cry and is struggling to live up to the Black Canary name. It was pretty entertaining to see her juggle all of this in order to keep this fragile partnership alive.

Oliver and Felicity’s rogue mission was enjoyable as well. It just proves that Oliver is intimidating with or without the hood. Their decision to keep Felicity’s pregnancy a secret from the rest of Team Arrow, not nearly as fun to see. It does feel like the flashforwards have kinda backed the present-day story into a corner. Because Roy, Dinah, and William didn’t know about Mia, the present-day has to account for it somehow. (Sidenote: Of course, Oliver comes up with Mia’s name. It’s not like his almost inevitable death was sad enough)

The flashforwards are compelling though. A lot of that credit, in past episodes, has gone to the older versions of Team Arrow. This week is different as Ben Lewis’ William and Katherine McNamara’s Mia stole the show for me. These two have been great in every scene they share together and “Training Day” didn’t disappoint in that regard. Also, Mia’s version of the Green Arrow theme is just awesome.
What baffles me is that there was no Dante or development into Emiko’s story this week (other than Emiko threatening Laurel). “Brothers and Sisters” was the big reveal of Dante, who we can only assume will be our big bad this year. We also had the revelation that he had been funding Emiko’s mission. Coming off of the high of the last episode, it was a bummer to be treated to, what is essentially a filler episode.

Edited by tv echo

Remembering ‘Arrow’
James Lister   March 11, 2019
https://fanfest.com/2019/03/11/remembering-arrow/

Arrow fans have been hit with some pretty bad news. The show that so many of us admire and love is ending after Season 8 which will consist of 10 episodes. That’s right, Stephen Amell will be hanging up the hood next year. Please excuse me while I cry… again.
I was 14 at the time, Arrow had just started and I sat down and watched it with my family. We were all instantly hooked. Each week we would sit down and watch it together and it’s been like that since episode 1- one of the hardest things about being in the UK was avoiding spoilers, it’s still incredibly difficult. So what was it that separated Arrow from other shows that I watched. Honestly, it was everything about Arrow. At the time I had not seen a show like Arrow before. The awesome fight choreography, a more grounded hero, the original dark tone, the music, and the villains all contributed towards making a show that was completely new to me. As well as that, it also opened the door to more DC heroes and villains.

When I was older, probably around 17 or 18, I struggled a bit with mental health, a mixture of anxiety and depression, and weirdly Arrow was an aspect of my life that actually helped me. The amazing thing about superheroes is that they are vessels of inspiration and as a result, they can help to inspire others. While I can’t shoot a bow and arrow accurately or get to the top of the salmon ladder, the characters in Arrow really inspired me to rise above my flaws and aim for something bigger. All of these characters dealt with pain and loss in their own way, but in the end they were able to overcome it. I think that’s why superheroes are so appealing to people, particularly younger audiences. Not only do they allow people to escape, but they can help individuals.
For me, it wasn’t just the show that I loved. It was the cast and crew. I followed a vast majority of the cast on Facebook and Instagram. Out of all the cast members it was Stephen Amell who shined the most. Not only have I had multiple interactions with him online but I’ve also been featured on FanartFriday twice. Stephen built a wonderful space for fans. Not only could fans share art and stories, but they could also interact with other fans. Of course, no fandom is safe from toxicity, but the Amell and Arrow fanbase were among the very few fandoms where I felt both safe and happy. My respect and overall appreciation for Amell and the cast skyrocketed after the launch of Stephen’s Cancer campaign. Collecting the t-shirts were a lot of fun, especially since the designs were so unique, and it felt really good to contribute towards a fantastic cause. Stephen’s approach to the Cancer campaign and his lovable attitude towards fans helped me a lot when my dad was diagnosed with Cancer. Instead of looking at it negatively, I was able to think more positive.
So that’s my story. In many ways, it’s not the happiest but words aren’t enough to explain Arrow‘s impact on me.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Arrow Season 7 Episode 15 Review – ‘Training Day’
MARCH 12, 2019 BY JESSIE ROBERTSON 
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2019/03/arrow-season-7-episode-15-review-training-day/

The trip was long, but the destination was pre-determined. Every time I honestly think Arrow is about to really stick with something that’s going to make the show tougher to maneuver around, I’m proved wrong. That’s not to say the show doesn’t tackle tough stuff: they do, but they are not patient people. Being a black ops team, almost outside the law for the most part, is the dream scenario for these characters, especially at this point in their lives.
As far as Future Star City, I thought our two main characters there really sung together this week. It was all about sister and brother coming together and learning how to work with each other, their strengths, their weaknesses and just being around each other. Finding a mini tape player in a futuristic yard sale is about what you would expect honestly, in this torn society they find themselves in. Also, hearing Felicity’s voice on the tape recorder was strangely a pleasant time, even though we just saw her whole episode long!
7.5/10 – The future and the past seem to move back and forth between working better than the other one week and switching places the next. I’m getting more excited about the story of Baby Queen and Mia is becoming less and less of a story trope and finding her way into real character. ...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

A.V. Club reviewer gave 715 a grade of B+ (fyi, there's also a lot of Dinah discussion, which I didn't bother quoting)...

Taking a page out of Team Arrow’s book, Arrow embraces its own evolution
Allison Shoemaker   March 12, 2019
https://tv.avclub.com/taking-a-page-out-of-team-arrow-s-book-arrow-embraces-1833222928

JH was Episode MVP, Obviously? How bout HELL NO it isnt obvious cause u I dont give a damn

• Love 2

Arrow Review: Training Day (Season 7 Episode 15)
March 12, 2019  Brianna Martinez
https://www.telltaletv.com/2019/03/arrow-review-training-day-season-7-episode-15/

After what feels like a very long time, there is a sense of returning to a modified version of normal for Team Arrow and OTA on Arrow Season 7 Episode 15, “Training Day,” and it makes for a 5-star hour that sneaks a bit of joy and pre-Slabside fun (Arrow style) into the hour.
There’s just something about seeing them work this way that feels hugely fitting, even when they’re designated, in a way, the black ops team of the SCPD. Seeing Team Arrow in the newly renovated Bunker gives off the vibe of a happy homecoming that has everyone coming back from different journeys, bringing something different to the space and their group.
One of my favorite things to come out of the episode is that we not only get the return of Diggle from his radically uncharacteristic responses over the last season, but we also get a few solid Original Team Arrow moments that highlight just why I love this trio of heroes.
They have come so far over the years, individually and as a group, that they’ve become a family. It’s what makes Oliver and Felicity’s choice to tell Diggle so achingly sweet that they are willing to break their rule of keeping the baby a secret for their best friend and brother.

In return, Diggle’s excitement is heartwarming and paired with his ginger candy offer and his words of encouragement for Felicity and the origins of Smoak Tech gives us one of those long-missed Delicity moments wrapped in an OTA moment. I hope that this is the final push for Felicity to launch her tech empire officially.
In turn, it’s upsetting to know that their dream of keeping their family safe and together and living in a safe city doesn’t come to pass.
Mia and William’s reactions, though, make it abundantly clear that they are Oliver and Felicity’s children, willing to face dangers to get answers and figure out what their parents are leading them to.
It’s a heartbreaking and a depressing thought that after all of the sacrifices made, Oliver doesn’t get to enjoy life with his wife, son, and daughter in a city he’s made safe.
- The opening training montage where OTA outmatch each of the SCPD newbies or just frustrated about the situation is hilarious to watch, especially considering that everything they are put through is so far below their skill respective skill levels or involves subpar resources.
- Oliver getting an apology from one of the newbies is fantastic to watch (and after the last few seasons, a minor miracle).

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Episode Guide: Season 7, Episode 15 - Training Day
Starman   March 12, 2019
http://www.mygeekygeekyways.com/2019/03/arrow-episode-guide-season-7-episode-15.html

Why didn't Mayor Pollard just scrap the whole Deputized Vigilante program immediately after Oliver threatened a CEO with an acid swirly? It was just the excuse she'd been waiting for and there's no reason for her no[sic] to have thrown the book at Oliver then and there apart from there still being half an hour of episode to pad out.

There's very little about Black Siren's attempt to blackmail Emiko that makes sense. First, how did she learn that Emiko is the new Green Arrow in the first place? Next, why on Earth does she think Oliver and Team Arrow would disapprove of Emiko killing Diaz enough for it to ruin their relationships, when she was helping Felicity to plot Diaz's murder just last week? Finally, there's no apparent purpose to said blackmail and no apparent reason Black Siren would need leverage over Emiko.

Oliver's attitude is all over the place in this episode. He starts off being determined to give the new SCPD partnership a chance. Then he gets sick of the bureaucracy after one batched raid. Then he's threatening to dunk crooked CEOs into acid vats. Then he's ready to break the law and go back to being an unlicensed vigilante even if he can't keep it up forever. Then he's willing to give the partnership thing a try again. And then by the end of the episode the team is back in their old base with their own costumes and gear and it hasn't mattered in the slightest because the mayor was finally embarrassed into striking down the anti-vigilante law.
Once again, Juliana Harkavy steals the show, giving a powerful performance as Dinah Drake faces an identity crisis. Denied her powers, she throws herself into her role as a police Captain and finds herself butting heads with her teammates as she struggles with her own sense of identity and self-worth. It's deep stuff and well-handled.
The plot-point of Dinah losing her Canary Cry after having her throat slit is taken directly from the Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters mini-series, where Black Canary lost her powers after having her throat cut.

Edited by tv echo

So I learned a new word today - "sprog" is apparently British/Australian slang for child or baby...

TV Review: ‘Arrow: Training Day’
POSTED MARCH 12TH, 2019 BY DARRYL JASPER
https://sciencefiction.com/2019/03/12/tv-review-arrow-training-day/

Despite how outlandish this Team Arrow/SCPD partnership is, the progression of Oliver and the others towards becoming a legitimate force on the city plays into Oliver’s own desires to not only make the city safer for he and Felicity’s developing sprog, but also their ability to build a life that’s no longer about living in the shadows. If that means following inefficient procedures, then so be it.

... As he is a one-shot villain, Midas is everything a bad guy shouldn’t be: generic and boring, from the establishment of his motives (money) to his terrible dialogue and sub-par acting. He’s the exact opposite of the Dante character introduced last week and it’s a bit shameful that Adrian Paul’s character wasn’t used in place of Midas.

With such a ho-hum bad guy plotline, the one thing that makes “Training Day” passable is the back-and-forth conflict between Team Arrow trying to accommodate the rules of the SCPD and Dinah’s attempts to enforce said rules. In fact, she has the most interesting character arc of anyone. ...
While the loss of Ricardo Diaz is nothing to cry about, Bronze Tiger’s information that Emiko was behind it forces Laurel to confront Oliver’s half-sister. Though the two don’t come to blows, Emiko drops her own truth bomb when Laurel threatens to out her: she (probably through Dante) knows that Laurel isn’t the original Earth-One version, calling her out as Black Siren. Yes, Team Arrow knows this but if the truth was whispered into the right ears, Laurel (and Team Arrow by proxie) could face some serious repercussions.
The William/Mia dynamic in future time is starting to grow on me. Yes, there’s a lot of blandness involved in these flash forwards but this pair is becoming the highlight of the future mystery. What all of this means as it relates to the present has yet to be answered but the message they discover from Felicity leads them into the walled-off Glades. The premise comes across a bit ridiculous but the William and Mia pairing has become interesting enough that I won’t completely dismiss this particular story line…at least not yet.

Edited by tv echo

Wtf is up with these reviewers gushing about JH's acting? She looked like she was trying to seduce the dude they caught at the end.

Have I got a different definition of good acting or are they bribing the reviewers to proclaim the greatness of their alleged one true bird? 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Wtf is up with these reviewers gushing about JH's acting? She looked like she was trying to seduce the dude they caught at the end.

Have I got a different definition of good acting or are they bribing the reviewers to proclaim the greatness of their alleged one true bird? 

I think some judgment on acting is subjective, like I've heard different opinions on similar scenes in movies and tv that both had good arguments. I did think (imo) that JH was better in some of her scenes like with Rene than she has been in the past (not the last fight scene stuff, doing the police lingo in a costume is ridiculous and if SA couldn't pull it off, JH definitely can't either), but yeah not enough to be like "scene-stealer" or "powerful performance." 

I stumbled across this 715 review at a blog site I've never visited before and found it surprisingly thoughtful...

Arrow – Season 7 Episode 15
Mar 12, 2019 | Posted by Craig McKenzie
https://kneelbeforeblog.co.uk/tv/arrow-training-day/

One of the conditions of Team Arrow being deputised as far as the Mayor is concerned is for them to follow SCPD protocol which means wearing uniforms instead of costumes, understanding their procedures and using standard issue weaponry out in the field. This raises a red flag for every member of Team Arrow who are used to doing things their way and feel that these rules are akin to tying one hand behind their back as they aren’t able to make use of their unique skills. The question that defines this episode is around why Team Arrow aren’t able to use their costumes and weapons in the field. When the decision was made to deputise them it was in recognition of how useful they could be so it makes no sense to force them to become part of a system they won’t be comfortable with and will be less effective as a result though that argument is the driving force for this episode so it feels deliberate even if it’s somewhat contrived.
... There’s a subplot suggested here that is never explored around the SCPD officers feeling threatened by the forced additions to their team suggesting that their protocols aren’t good enough. In a better episode the conflict created by pride on both sides would have been the focal point of the story.

For that to work there would need to be actual characters on the SCPD side in order to properly explore how they feel about being forced to work with a team who operated outside the law for so long. Dinah doesn’t count as her frustrations are unique to her and she’s very much a part of Team Arrow even though she tries to be otherwise. There is one scene following the field operation where there is a stand-off between Team Arrow and SCPD about who knows best but it’s not enough to sell that conflict as the episode frames Team Arrow’s methods as being the best way forward.
This is clearly what the writers wanted to bring across so on that score they succeed but by doing this they cut themselves off from exploring difficult questions about what should and shouldn’t be done to achieve justice. Following protocol and abiding by the law is a strong argument that deserved to be explored especially as a contrast to the benefits as well as the drawbacks of vigilante justice. By teasing this argument and not exploring it the writers are doing a disservice to it and make this episode ultimately feel disposable as the conclusion of that conflict is spelled out right from the beginning.
The resolution of this plot feels really neat and unrealistic considering the available information. Team Arrow take it upon themselves to spring into action in full costume and bring down the villain the old fashioned way. In some ways this feels like a plot that would have been right at home in early season 2 with the added trappings of the current season making for further complications. Despite the SCPD not seeing eye to eye with their latest recruits earlier in the episode this action doesn’t cause any extra issues and appears to be completely above board. This leads to the creation of a vigilante task force that run autonomously but work in conjunction with the SCPD. The Mayor is apparently reluctantly fine with this despite no evidence to suggest that her mind was changed in any way. She is also due to repeal the anti-vigilante law which sort of resets the status quo back to what it was with some very minor differences. Team Arrow are officially sanctioned which is great but the steps that led to that point feel really rushed and forced which feels completely at odds with the meticulous long form storytelling that has made for an enjoyable season so far.

... The future set scenes this week are very limited in terms of plot progression but dripping in strong characterisation. William and Mia have a great brother/sister dynamic that is awkward enough as they are still getting to know one another while still having a level of comfort that comes from finding the family they never know they had. Amusingly William sees a lot of Oliver in her through the way she conducts herself which comes as a surprise for Mia who clearly didn’t know Oliver. Felicity was the only parent she knew so inheriting Oliver’s nature is unexpected though the observation does seem to make her think and possibly feel closer to her roots. William certainly gives her something that she didn’t know she was missing. Mia represents the lost connection to Felicity for William. Through her he is able to contextualise the feeling he has about the mother figure he knew so briefly while feeling a lot less isolated.
Once they achieve their goal and listen to the message it gives each of them some answers to the cause of their abandonment issues even if it isn’t fully explained or entirely satisfying to them. Keeping them apart in order to protect them is about the oldest excuse in the book and we -as well as the characters- are lacking in the context surrounding that decision. I suspect the coming episodes will answer that question so it remains to be seen whether it’s satisfying or not. For now Felicity’s message brings them closer together which allows Ben Lewis and Katherine McNamara to deepen their characters as well as their growing connection through excellent performances. The more time these characters get to spend together the better as far as I’m concerned.
... Their scene together is excellent as it’s about who has the most power in that moment. Emiko as good as admits that she did it because she’s entirely confident that she will be believed above Evil Laurel because she has a close connection with Rene and is beginning to create a dynamic with Oliver that works. This puts her on better footing with Evil Laurel who is still regarded with suspicion at best. It’s also worth noting that there will be certain members of Team Arrow who will be less than upset at Diaz’ demise so the deck is very much stacked against Evil Laurel who could only really count on Felicity for backup under normal circumstances though with the death of Diaz even that is in doubt. Even still, Oliver deserves to know that his sister is hiding something from him. Evil Laurel inches ever closer to dropping the “Evil” from her name.
Kneel Before…

• Dinah realising her worth independent of her powers
  • Diggle’s usual on point wisdom
  • the engaging Mia/William sibling dynamic
  • Evil Laurel’s dilemma around how to get Team Arrow to believe what she knows about Emiko

Rise Against…

• failing to make good use of the obvious depth in the conflict between Team Arrow and the SCPD
  • neatly resolving the friction between Team Arrow and the SCPD

FYI: Here are his reviews of 714 and 713. There are also other Arrow episode reviews here. I haven't read any of his reviews other than 715, 714 and 713.

From his 713 review:

One way or another family has always been at the heart of this show whether it be Oliver’s connection to his parents and Thea, his marriage to Felicity or his attempts to build a relationship with William. Not to mention the recent discovery of the sister he never knew he had. Outside of that the Diggle’s have their own family drama, Rene has his daughter and Felicity has a unique relationship with her mother so there’s a lot of family dysfunction as well as function on this show fuelling the drama on almost a weekly basis.

From his 714 review:

I really like what is being done with the future story, particularly now that the plot centres on the children of Felicity, Diggle and Oliver as a way of mirroring the dynamic that continues to define the show by delivering an alternate version of it. The fact that circumstances mean that there is no bond between the siblings provides a clear path to follow and goal to achieve. It also adds depth to Mia who was in danger of falling into the trap of being little more than a moody badass.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

JH pulled off showing emotion when she confessed about not having the Canary Cry to Rene but I know the scene was massively undercut by the crap coming out of Rene's mouth about no one sacrificing to do the right thing more than Dinah.  (Among other things)

Honestly, I think some reviewers are praising her cause they liked how prettily she cried.  Tears welling up in her eyes without ruining her make up, changing her expression too much  or affecting her voice-the perfect blend of pretend emotion some think is the gold standard. 

ComicBook.com reported on the OTA fundraiser in its ComicBook.com way: https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/03/13/arrow-series-ending-fan-times-square-billboard-fundraiser/

Don't even get me started on this part:

The new additions to the team -- dubbed NTA for New Team Arrow -- haven't been as well-received by some fans, though despite “NTA” existing for roughly the same amount of time as OTA by the series’ end. 

Uh, no.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

How the fuck have characters who've existed since season 5 (mid-season 5 in Dinah's case) existed for the same amount of time as characters who've existed since season 1?

Dear comicbook.com,

Seven years and two years are very different things. Also, NTA are hated because they suck, not just because they're new.

Edited by JamieLynn832002
  • Love 11

I think I sort of figured out ComicBook.com's logic.

OTA would have had to only exist S1-4. Ignoring every other person who ever worked on them during that time. Also ignoring every single time that the show has referred to Oliver, Felicity and Diggle as such since S3, including in 714. 

Then NTA somehow stands for both Oliver, Felicity, Diggle, Dinah, (Curtis) and Rene and Dinah, Curtis and Rene. Also, somehow 10 episodes of S8 is equivalent to 23 episodes of S4. 

I think?

And now my brain hurts from trying to figure out ComicBook.com's logic. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

ComicBook.com appears to be criticizing this fan project because it only focuses on three of the show's characters; yet, the project is clearly labeled "OTA Forever" - I like this response...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

A Better Future: Arrow 7x15 Review (Training Day)
March 14, 2019
http://jbuffyangel.tumblr.com/post/183444356818/a-better-future-arrow-7x15-review-training-day

Does anyone else scream, “SPOILER ALERT: EVERYTHING IS AWFUL IN THE FUTURE!!!” every time Oliver talks about making the city safe for their children, so they can live in Star City and be happy? No? Just me? The dude deserves a heads up. The writers sure aren’t giving him one. It’s like salt in an open wound whenever Oliver dreams of Star City becoming Disney World 2.0. WRONG SHOW OLIVER. 
This is the show where the writers bludgeon us with misery and only give us joyful moments as a brief respite from our pain and sorrow.  
Felicity pregnant ratchets up her adorable factor by at least 80%. 
But the Mayor cuts Midas loose because his confession was coerced. Is that a thing we care about on Arrow now? I guess we’re doing the whole Miranda rights, due process, warrants, evidence, chain of custody thing. Huh. So… how’d they prosecute all the other criminals for the last seven years? 
This is why they had to make Diggle normal again. Pod Diggle would never suss out an Olicity pregnancy. I love how Oliver and Felicity are all, “WE AREN’T TELLING ANYONE” and then Diggle shows up, asks one question, and they fold. 
Oliver and Felicity’s baby girl seems destined to become a hero in her own right. Someday Oliver and Felicity will make a better and safer Star City for their children. Maybe they’ll save the city with their children.
Mia and William make the perfect team because they are (seemingly) opposites, but underneath the surface have a lot in common. RING ANY BELLS?
You don’t keep your two precious jewels in the same location. I think it’s safe to say this is the strategy Oliver and Felicity were using.

Are there plot holes with the whole William side of things? Sure. It wasn’t a secret he was Oliver’s son. The kid was photographed. You can easily find out his last name is Clayton and his grandparents aren’t exactly living off the radar. Arrow is either going to have an answer for all these little factoids or they’re gonna blow right past them and leave them in Plot Hole Land.  
But the bigger picture is Oliver and Felicity kept their children apart for a reason. I found it very interesting Felicity said this was a decision they made together. So whatever separation is coming, it was as much Oliver’s decision as it was Felicity’s.
Team Arrow being bored to tears and wiping the floor with the SCPD is the realest this show has ever been. 
Dinah is full speed ahead on being captain and draws a hard line in the sand with the team, which of course proves to be disastrous. The reason she is all in on Captain Drake is because she lost her cry and doesn’t feel she can be Bl*ck C*nary anymore. When did the C*nary Cry become a prerequisite? 
BS confronts Emiko and the whole conversation is hysterical hypocrisy.

Bl*ck S*ren:  You’re lying about who you really are. You’re not a hero.  
STEAL ANYONE’S IDENTITY LATELY L*UREL? I can never decide if the writers are blatantly obtuse in regards to L*urel’s character (any version) or if this is somehow a tongue and cheek/wink wink kind of thing. 
This also makes Felicity pickle in the middle. Oliver will of course believe Emiko over Bl*ck S*ren and Felicity will have to choose between the two. I’m actually way more interested in seeing how Felicity reacts than I am anything else, so once again BS services her storyline. Suits me just fine.

tumblr_inline_poc8mcHACG1shrb8p_500.gif 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

SpoilerTV's Weekly Round Table: 69th Edition
Posted by Samantha Benjamin at March 14, 2019
https://www.spoilertv.com/2019/03/spoilertvs-weekly-rount-table-69th.html

Stephen Amell announced this week that the next season of Arrow will be the last. What do you hope to see in the final episodes? Which DC show do you see being the next to finish? Do you think the new kids could lead a new show?
MJ [Milo]: I haven't finished Arrow, stalling somewhere in Season 6, but during its peak it was one of the best shows on television with a spectacular second season. As something that led the way for the rest of the Arrowverse to follow, it's not a bad legacy. I am very curious upon my eventual catchup to see more of Emiko Queen - her character was introduced brilliantly in Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino's New 52 run which was my favourite from that era of DC Comics, and more elements that the show incorporates from that run, the better.

LM [Lisa Macklem]: Thank God. This show has been dying a slow death, so I'm glad they are putting it and me out of our misery. It's been heartbreaking to watch the demise of this show. I would love to see the final season stripped back to what made this a great show in the first place. Let's have Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity featured. I'm happy to have Laurel - and I'd love to see Roy really back - not some stupid future storyline. Could they get Willa back for the final run? That would also be sweet. Then, get RID of all the new kids. They are what has killed this show, so NO they couldn't carry a spin off. I'm betting Supergirl is also not long for this world.... or any 'verse.... (don't hate me! the ratings are terrible!)

DR [Donna Cromeans]: Not sure what to expect in these final episodes of Arrow as I have felt the show should have ended a couple of seasons ago. Have not been a fan of the “Prisoner on Cell Block H” scenario we’ve had this season. I guess if anything I would like to see more of the development of what leads to the future as seen through the eyes of Mia and William and Connor Hawke. I’d also like to see more of the friendship between Felicity and Laurel Lance.
Not sure who you mean by the “new kids”. I think Ruby Rose and Batwoman will do well, she was impressive in her brief appearance in the last crossover. The new kids-Nicole Maines, Jesse Grath, Sea Shimooka, Ben Lewis, Katherine McNamara and Jessica Parker Kennedy have all been great editions on their respective shows, but I think the jury is still out as to whether they could carry their own shows.

As for the Arrowverse future, I’m looking forward to Batwoman and would most definitely watch a Birds of Prey series featuring Laurel Lance, Dinah, and Felicity.

SD [Sam Dinsmoor]: There is so much I've hoped to see on this show and it's never panned out, so I don't know that there's anything that I want to see that would actually happen, i.e. Green Arrow with a goatee and Oliver/Laurel together (since she's dead). I'd maybe like to see a hint that there's an Oliver on another earth that is living a life much more comic book accurate. Outside of that, maybe some reappearances of some of my favorite characters like Malcolm, Tommy, Earth 1 Laurel (in flashbacks I guess), Thea, and Nyssa.

I can see Legends being the next to go, being the show with the biggest ratings struggle, and maybe Supergirl after that. I think The Flash will be around for 2, 3 more seasons at least. I don't see the new kids being able to lead a show, they haven't been interesting enough. Maybe an Emiko as the new Green Arrow spinoff could work, actually.
Ellys Cartin: Perhaps the biggest challenge that the "older" CW DC shows face is how they trapped themselves in narrative loops. Arrow managed to break free of those loops at the very end of its life while also introducing a wealth of intriguing new characters. I am torn over whether I want the final season to give us emotional closure for these characters or set them up to continue their stories elsewhere. Arrow is ending because Amell made the best decision for him and his family. The other DC CW shows aren't going anywhere just yet. It remains to be seen if any of them (besides Legends) will ever again manage to maintain a high level of quality two seasons in a row. They all need a storytelling booster shot to either restore their quality or keep them growing in exciting ways. Let's hope a little crisis will be that shot. Also, I am 1000% here for the Batwoman series.

Edited by tv echo

Here's a positive report about the OTA Forever fan project...

Look! Up In The Sky! It’s A Bird! It’s A Plane! It’s…An ARROW Billboard In Times Square?
Matt Vernier  March 14, 2019
https://revengeofthefans.com/2019/03/14/look-up-in-the-sky-its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-an-arrow-billboard-in-times-square/

A campaign was started to get an Arrow billboard in Times Square.

A PayPal account was started to raise 10,000 dollars. When they passed that it was upped to $12,000. When TV Guide tweeted about it, it caught the attention of Arrow lead actor Stephen Amell.
It looks like Amell will pony up the cash, as the amount is currently sitting at $10,380. The outpouring of love for the show on the comments of the donations is heartwarming. Like this, for example, from someone named Kaitlyn Murray:
The way shows impact are lives never cease to amaze me. Take LOST for instance. The best part of that show was the people I met while being a fan. LOST created friendships I still have today. It is the reason I have the online presence I have today, and in a roundabout way, the reason I am writing this for you to read right now.

Never underestimate the power of entertainment. Every show is somebody’s favorite show. It is a powerful thing, when you are able to share your love of something with someone else. Fandoms have been getting bad raps lately due to vocal, toxic minorities within that group. But fandoms can be great. The right fans, with the right platform for their voice, can be magic. I wonder where we can find a place like that on the internet?
If you are an Arrow fan, and would like to throw a couple of dollars in for the cause, you can do so right here. What money isn’t spent on the billboard will be given to charity.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

‘Arrow’ Showrunner Beth Schwartz Inks Overall Deal With Warner Bros. TV

by Nellie Andreeva and Denise Petski   March 15, 2019 

EXCLUSIVE: As Arrow is heading into its final season, executive producer/showrunner Beth Schwartz is expanding her relationship with Warner Bros. TV, signing a multi-year overall with the studio behind the CW superhero series.

Greg Berlanti, who oversees all DC series for WBTV as executive producer, including Arrow, first met Schwartz when he hired her as his assistant on his 2002 WB drama series Everwood. She co-wrote two episodes of the Berlanti-produced ABC series Brothers & Sisters before joining Arrow in 2012 as a writers assistant in Season 1. Schwartz was quickly promoted to a writer and rose to the ranks to co-executive producer in Season 6.

She took over as executive producer and showrunner at the start of the current seventh season. Arrow was recently picked up for a 10-episode eighth and final season.

• Love 2

THR report on Beth's new deal...

'Arrow' Showrunner Signs Warner Bros. TV Overall Deal
MARCH 15, 2019 by Rick Porter
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/arrow-showrunner-beth-schwartz-signs-warner-bros-tv-deal-1195096

Arrow may be ending in 2019-20, but its showrunner is staying put at Warner Bros. TV.

Beth Schwartz, who oversees The CW's longest-running comic-book series, has signed an exclusive multiyear deal with the studio, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. She has been with Arrow since its first season.

Under the deal, Schwartz will create and develop new projects for Warner Bros., where she has been based throughout her career. She began as an assistant to producer Greg Berlanti on his show Everwood and has also worked on ABC's Brothers & Sisters and What About Brian and The CW's Hart of Dixie and Legends of Tomorrow.

Edited by tv echo

Superhero Insider: The Flash, Arrow raise the stakes as Supergirl prepares for Lex Luthor
SHIRLEY LI and CHRISTIAN HOLUB   March 15, 2019 
https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/15/superhero-insider-the-flash-arrow-supergirl-lex-luthor/

Arrow
Is being a vigilante — gasp — bad?! Arrow‘s been spinning its wheels for a long while over this question, and it’s weighed down this penultimate season long enough. This week, Team Arrow’s officially deputized by the SCPD (which does not have the sterling reputation the show keeps saying it does), and it leads to growing pains that mainly affect Dinah, who struggles to find her footing as both captain and Black Canary. Still, the resolution to the episode feels rather unresolved: After all, what exactly made the SCPD so cool with having them continue to play dress-up and shoot people as they solve cases? Why did Felicity record a tape of all things for her children? To borrow a phrase from an entirely different universe, we should be in the endgame now, but it just doesn’t feel like it yet. Maybe next week’s episode, which looks to tackle the origin story of Mia “Blackstar” Smoak, will shed some much-needed light. — S.L.

Entertainment Weekly - Superhero Insider: Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame, Supergirl and more
Kyle Anderson and Shirley Li   March 15, 2019

-- Arrow: Kyle mostly liked 715 but thought that it had the "fundamental" problem with a lot of Arrow episodes in that, "the moment you scratched the surface, none of it makes any sense." He noted that the SCPD was not a respected institution in Star City, so that premise was flawed. He also didn't understand why they were doing what they were doing in the opening montage. Kyle: "Oliver has gaslit himself." Shirley thought that having Team Arrow work with the SCPD within the law just made everyone "more annoying." However, Kyle did think that the "action beats" in this episode were "second to none" and that the flashforward ending was a "sad trombone." 

-- Kyle liked the flashforwards more now that we know everyone's identity and also liked the Queen kids' dynamic. Shirley didn't understand why everyone was now all okay with Team Arrow being vigilantes again. She didn't like the flashforwards as much as Kyle.

-- Shirley liked that 715 spent some time with Dinah, but she wanted to see more of her struggling with whether to be police captain or vigilante. Kyle agreed and said that the episode lacked one scene on that issue. He said that Arrow is always "just on the cusp" of doing something great, but then falls short. Shirley wanted more character development.

Edited by tv echo
6 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Superhero Insider: The Flash, Arrow raise the stakes as Supergirl prepares for Lex Luthor
SHIRLEY LI and CHRISTIAN HOLUB   March 15, 2019 
https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/15/superhero-insider-the-flash-arrow-supergirl-lex-luthor/

Entertainment Weekly - Superhero Insider: Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame, Supergirl and more
Kyle Anderson and Shirley Li   March 15, 2019

-- Arrow: Kyle mostly liked 715 but thought that it had the "fundamental" problem with a lot of Arrow episodes in that, "the moment you scratched the surface, none of it makes any sense." He noted that the SCPD was not a respected institution in Star City, so that premise was flawed. He also didn't understand why they were doing what they were doing in the opening montage. Kyle: "Oliver has gaslit himself." Shirley thought that having Team Arrow work with the SCPD within the law just made everyone "more annoying." However, Kyle did think that the "action beats" in this episode were "second to none" and that the flashforward ending was a "sad trombone." 

-- Kyle liked the flashforwards more now that we know everyone's identity and also liked the Queen kids' dynamic. Shirley didn't understand why everyone was now all okay with Team Arrow being vigilantes again. She didn't like the flashforwards as much as Kyle.

-- Shirley liked that 715 spent some time with Dinah, but she wanted to see more of her struggling with whether to be police captain or vigilante. Kyle agreed and said that the episode lacked one scene on that issue. He said that Arrow is always "just on the cusp" of doing something great, but then falls short. Shirley wanted more character development.

Sorry Shirley that would've been awful. Dont care about Dinah and she already gets more screentime than she needs 

• Love 7

‘Arrow’ recap: 7×15 “Training Day”
Lynsey Neill  March 17, 2019
https://www.purefandom.com/2019/03/17/arrow-recap-7x15-training-day/

Oliver and Felicity tell John that she’s pregnant, and he’s very happy as the captain of their ship. John also gives Felicity a little push in the direction towards Smoak Tech, and gives her candies to help with nausea. OTA at it’s finest.
The flash-forwards used to be dark, after dark, with some more dark, but with the addition of Mia, and the brother-sister bond between Mia and William forming, I’m starting to feel the hope.
Guess what? I’m not mad at Dinah and Rene anymore. They did a pretty good job this season of taking away what made them annoying in previous seasons while injecting some nice moments with them. They didn’t do that with Curtis, but hey, he’s off the show so we’re all good on my end.
Emiko. Emiko killed Diaz. Thanks, girl (I’m kind of upset it wasn’t Black Siren, but this is interesting).
- They are handling Felicity’s pregnancy with so much grace and respect
- I’m here for the Mia and William spin-off

Arrow - Training Day - Review
Posted by Lisa Macklem at March 17, 2019
https://www.spoilertv.com/2019/03/arrow-training-day-review.html

Arrow “Training Day” was written by the team of Emilio Ortega Aldrich & Rebecca Rosenberg  and directed by Ruba Nadda, whose other credits include NCIS: Los Angeles, Hawaii Five-O and Killjoys. Once again, we were in serious “are you kidding me” mode. The entire episode basically negates the entire reason for the SCPD bringing on the vigilantes and then realizes what they are good at. Really? We needed an entire episode about that? The future storyline was almost less annoying. As always, the highlights were the scenes between Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Falicity (Emily Bett Rickards) and really any scene with Felicity.
Dinah (Juliana Harkavy) is simply annoying throughout the entire episode, putting her job before her friends because she thinks the only thing that makes her the Black Canary is her cry. And of course, she lost it when she had her throat slashed. I’ll concede that the scenes between Rene and Dinah are good – but that’s mainly due to Gonzalez.

The plot involves going after Midas (Andrew Kavadas) who is using his pharma business to manufacture poison bullets. And I did really like Felicity comparing the poison to melting the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz.
It was great to be back in the lair – and to end the episode with the team working out of the lair with the proper equipment at their disposal to be useful. I did love the scene between Diggle, Oliver, and Felicity when they tell him first that they are pregnant! How could I not love this scene as it felt like a return to the core team, right down to Diggle giving good advice again. He urges them to find a way to make it work with the SCPD or they will be right back where they started. How can you make a better future is you simply repeat the past? Does the show read what they write?

The future story line simply negates everything we are seeing because it basically affirms that Oliver and Felicity failed at everything they tried. I am really enjoying Ben Lewis as William, but I continue to detest perpetual pouty-face Katherine McNamara as Mia. The two finally play the tape, and Felicity gives them coordinates to give to the team and then tells them to get out of Star City and not to come after her. I did like that the final shot is of the Glades – which now seems to be behind a huge wall – so props to the show for commenting on the stupidity of walls.
The final scene with Oliver and Felicity picking baby names is sweet – but it’s tainted by how wrong we know it’s going to go.
So the overall storyline – with the exception of the good fight at the end – was very annoying this week, but the subplots and some of the moments were good. Part of me hopes that the big Conflict Earth storyline that is brewing will simply reset time again – and part of me is annoyed thinking about watching all of this that simply won’t count. ... 

How Did This Is Us Not Smell Booze? Was Shameless Exit Low-Key? How Will Fuller House Evict Aunt? And More Qs
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Michael Ausiello, Kimberly Roots, Dave Nemetz, Andy Swift, Ryan Schwartz and Charlie Mason / March 15 2019
https://tvline.com/2019/03/15/this-is-us-season-3-episode-15-kevin-vodka-tv-questions-answers/

11 | Even theoretically and using any amount of “shmience,” how might Arrow‘s Felicity be able to scan a city to track someone’s DNA? (“His DNA is there right now….”) Also, is the SCPD paying Team Arrow, or at least Oliver and Felicity (who currently have no other sources of income, yet somehow have money to fix up the bunker)?

• Love 1

10 Things You Didn’t Know about Arrow’s David Ramsey
Nat Berman   March 17, 2019
https://www.tvovermind.com/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-arrows-david-ramsey/

David Ramsey has obviously found a great deal of success as an actor. You might know him for his starring role on Arrow. This is a blockbuster of a series that was recently renewed for a sixth [sic] season. He has had his share of ups and downs throughout his career, but he certainly now seems to be on an upward trajectory and is not looking back. Here are ten things that may now have previously known about Arrow’s David Ramsey.
Ramsey has accumulated quite a noticeable sum of money is a short period of time. Just recently he surpassed the $4 million mark, and that shows no signs of decreasing anytime soon. Believe it or not, he has been earning money from his acting career since his first-ever appearance in a movie way back in 1987.
You have probably that many actors who are in action films use a double for some of the more physical scenes. That is not the case with David Ramsey. He is quite the pronounced martial artist. He is also not afraid to show off his skills on the set. He has a black belt in Jeet fun do. This is the type of martial arts made famous by Bruce Lee.
David Ramsey idolized Muhammed Ali, and that translated into him having a starring role in Ali: An American Hero. This was a made for television movie produced by Fox.

1. He Has Been On Other Shows
2. It Took A Long Time For Him To Get His First Big Break
3. He Has Other Interests Besides Acting
4. His Net Worth Is Rather Impressive
5. Ramsey Has A High Level of Education
6. Martial Arts Are His Forte
7. Hard Working
8. Perseverance
9. Detroit is Home
10. He Was in an Ali Film

• Love 2

A.V. Club reviewer gave 716 a grade of B (mistake below - it's Ben Lewis, not Jack Lewis)...

Arrow peeks into the overstuffed future and finds family drama and Spider-Man
Allison Shoemaker   March 19, 2019
https://tv.avclub.com/arrow-peeks-into-the-overstuffed-future-and-finds-famil-1833394891

“Star City 2040" doesn’t pull it all off. The fact that it manages to successfully accomplish any of those things in such a stuffed hour is impressive.
The most important box to remain conspicuously unchecked is the one marked ‘character development.’ It wouldn’t be fair to say that none of the new characters and adult versions of young characters—Future William, Future Tess, Connor, and Mia—are well-drawn. But the best-developed among them is William (helped in no small part by Jack Lewis’ wry performance), and he’s a long way off from fully formed. To expect all four of those characters to have all the texture of characters we’ve spent seasons with is unreasonable, but “Star City 2040” spends a lot of its real estate on Mia’s backstory and motivations, and it’s unclear how much it actually gets in return.

That’s not the fault of Katherine McNamara, who puts a little mustard on basically every line or action she’s given, to mostly good and never boring effect. (The faraway stare as she explained her tattoo choice is perhaps too much, but it’s not dull.) It’s also not the fault of Bamford, who ably captures the thing that most defines Mia at this point, that being her pure, hungry enjoyment of the fight. And it’s not as though Mia’s storyline here is a complete misfire. Her backstory, which sees Mia run away from home because she finds out (via accidentally shot electric arrow which pierces a framed photo of her mother and supposedly dead father; it’s a lot) that her mother has been secretly acting as a vigilante this whole time, doesn’t prove particularly gripping, in part because it’s a bit hard to follow. Yet it peaks with a solid final scene between McNamara and Emily Bett Rickards, who sell that troubled mother-daughter relationship like it’s a quiver of trick arrows at a 2020 Arrow props auction.

So there are highs, but there’s also a lot of feinting at established backstories, a lot of explanation and exposition, and a lot of moodily staring off in the distance as a substitute for the kind of character-building that requires some combination of time, patience, thoughtful writing, smart and subtle acting, and a storyline that has space for showing, rather than telling. Bett Rickards and McNamara make up for a lot, but their standout final scene is also pretty much Mia telling Felicity about years of emotions so that they never have to be addressed again and the story can proceed. And since it becomes clear the moment Mia takes her new weapon from Nyssa (Katrina Law, always nice to see but only here for the training montage) that she’s destined to follow in her father’s footsteps, there’s not enough suspense pulling the audience along to make the emotional shortcuts easy to overlook.

That said, there are moments that don’t require those kinds of shortcuts. The William/Felicity reunion packs a bit of a punch, and Lewis in particular does a nice job of playing someone who wants to be composed and focused, but who just can’t get past the enormity of what’s happening in his life for a minute. (Though that’s nothing compared to his CEO flirtation routine.) Pretty much everything concerning Rene works because Rick Gonzalez, finally liberated from the tyranny of saying “Hoss” 27 times an episode, admirably underplays his arc. It might feel inevitable, but while abruptm [sic] it’s also mostly earned The reunion of OLTA—Old Team Arrow—is quietly affecting. And unexpectedly, a Spider-Man related plea from Joseph David Jones’ Connor Hawke gives the episode a thematic through-line that comes closer to making the individual stories work than anything else in the hour.

And then there’s that final reveal. This future timeline is exploring how being the child of a hero also requires sacrifice, looking at how power and responsibility intersect in the lives of those who love people willing to sacrifice their lives. But it’s also digging into the sins, and not just the sacrifice, of the parents. So the episode ends with a triumphant, pre-blunt bob Felicity Smoak celebrating the successful test of Archer, her home security system destined to become a tool used for all kinds of nefarious things. That future Felicity seems dead set on course-correcting that particular sin—power, responsibility, you know the drill.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow recap: Team Arrow rises in the revelatory and future-set 'Star City 2040'
CHANCELLOR AGARD   March 18, 2019
https://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-7-episode-16/

Arrow took a trip to the future in tonight’s “Star City 4040.” While the hour — which was written by Beth Schwartz and Oscar Balderrama, and directed by MVP James Bamford — didn’t shed any light on what Star City’s warehouses look like in the future (disappointing me, and probably only me), it did answer some questions about Mia’s childhood and saw Team Arrow rise once again to stop a terrorist attack on the cursed city they love so much.
From there, we’re treated to a pretty cool montage that follows Mia through the years as she trains with Nyssa in the backyard. Honestly, this was probably my favorite part of the episode. Even though Katrina Law has very little dialogue, it was just kind of comforting to have her back and to watch her teach her ex(?)-husband’s daughter. Once Mia is grown, Nyssa believes she’s finally ready to wield her father’s weapon of choice and she presents her with a brand new bow and arrow set.
But, it’s not all bad news because something good comes out of all of this: a rapprochement between mother and daughter. In the wake of all the action, Felicity apologizes to Mia for everything and Mia admits that her hatred of vigilantes comes from her hatred of her mother. That’s starting to change now as Mia understands it must’ve been hard to have the city turn on both her and Oliver(!!!). Mia asks Felicity if her desire to take down Galaxy One has anything to do with Oliver, but Felicity says no. It turns out she wants to destroy Galaxy One because she created ARCHER, which we already suspected, and now regrets it and wants to stop Galaxy One from gaining too much power when it goes global. In the words of Ultron, we always create the thing we dread.

Overall, this was a perfectly fine episode of the show. I’m still not sure what the point of the flash-forwards is, but throwing Felicity into the mix definitely helped elevate them. I have a feeling I’ll end up changing how I feel about this episode once we see where it all leads.

Edited by tv echo

ARROW SEASON 7, EPISODE 16: "STAR CITY 2040" REVIEW
BY JESSE SCHEEDEN 18 MAR 2019
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03/19/arrow-season-7-episode-16-star-city-2040-review

“Star City 2040” didn’t do as much to address these problems as it might have. Sure, having a more concentrated dose of flash-forward helped propel the narrative along. We got the long-awaited debut of Old Woman Felicity (did anyone actually believe she was dead?) and a major confrontation between Team Arrow 2.0 and Galaxy One. But again, the show is doing a poor job of making this conflict actually feel meaningful. Galaxy One and its terrorist backers come across as a generic enemy filling a predictable niche. The show apparently needs yet another bad guy plotting to blow up the city (one that already tried the same shtick on The Flash last season), so here we are.

And there’s still the fact that the flash-forwards really start to drag when the entire Team Arrow roster is jockeying for space. This series has often struggled with the fact that it has more characters than it can really make use of. The flash-forwards just seem to compound that problem. As great as it is to have Colton Haynes back in a recurring role, what purpose does Roy actually serve at this point? The same for Rene and Zoe. Again, too many characters and not enough room to do them all justice. And don’t get me started on the wildly inconsistent attempts at age makeup. Why are Dinah and Rene the only two older characters that actually look like they’ve aged 20 years?

Bearing all that in mind, it’s no coincidence that the best scene sin this episode were the ones that took a more narrow focus and concentrated on the core Queen family dynamic. If nothing else, “Star City 2040” was a huge boon for Mia. We got a good look at what it’s like to be raised by Felicity in almost total isolation (apart from those periodic visits from Aunt Nyssa). This early material, paired with the later reunion between Mia and Felicity, helped shed a great deal of light on their relationship. And all the while, the spectre of Ollie hung over the whole thing. We’re still forced to question his whereabouts and if he truly is doomed to die in the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover this year. The show is almost too blatant about teasing the prospect at this point.
In that same vein, this episode did a lot to enrich the uneasy dynamic between Mia and William. It’s fun to see their brother/sister dynamic and the ways in which in subverts the familiar Ollie/Felicity formula. This episode didn’t do a whole lot with Connor beyond hinting at his romantic past with Mia, but I’d love for the three to establish their own version of the classic Ollie/Felicity/Diggle team.
To date, Arrow's flash-forward storyline is a great idea in search of better, more consistent execution. That doesn't change even as the series devotes an entire episode to fleshing out the Star City of 2040. This is a story burdened by too many superfluous characters and an antagonist that recycles the usual tropes. But when the focus narrows to the Queen/Smoak family and their collective emotional trauma, this storyline shows its true potential.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow season 7, episode 16 review: Star City 2040
by Scott Brown   March 19, 2019
https://bamsmackpow.com/2019/03/19/arrow-season-7-episode-16-review/

Arrow has a lot of fun with its use of time in its storytelling, it has from the start of the series. So, by using the flash-forwards it was a nice change of pace for the series and the beginning of this episode does the exact same thing. By using another flash-forward, simply set slightly prior to the current of the flash-forwards, Arrow does a great job setting up Mia’s mindset prior to her meeting William and why she is so adamantly against looking for Felicity at first.
Katherine McNamara also does a great job channeling a ferocity that is very similar to Oliver’s ferocity in season one of the series. She doesn’t have the restraint that members of Team Arrow learned to have and it’s another visual cue about her anger and frustration with her situation. The fight toward the end of the episode is easily one of the best fights of the scene if not series, as well.
This episode again shows how entertaining Mia and William are together. The writing between the two is great to begin with, but Katherine McNamara and Ben Lewis make the great writing even better. These two have such great chemistry that makes the show so enjoyable to watch. They probably have some of the best chemistry between any two characters in the history of Arrow.

When they finally reunite with Felicity though, their relationship takes a backseat for the rest of the episode, but their reactions are so drastically different, that it helps solidify their relationship, even if they don’t know it.
Arrow has arguably its best episode of the season with the flash-forward heavy episode that harkens back to the episode “The Odyssey” with the way it was told.

Edited by tv echo

I'm only posting this review because there's some discussion in the 716 episode thread regarding confusion as to whether Felicity was taking the blame for the Archer program or for Oliver's death. Honestly, I never interpreted her comments as taking blame for Oliver's death, so this review completely befuddled me...

Arrow: “Star City 2040” Review
Posted By: Taylor Cole  on: March 18, 2019
https://thenerdstash.com/arrow-star-city-2040-review/

I’ve absolutely loved the flashforwards this year. Yeah, I know that I’m in the minority on this but I find these older versions of our characters intriguing to see and the Queen children have been a joy to watch. Is the make-up a little cheesy? Probably. To be honest, Felicity doesn’t look all that different in 2040 than she did in 2019 (albeit with a different haircut). Rene’s wig is…let’s just say a little off-putting.

Despite that, I realize that there’s only so much you can do to ramp up the “aging” process for a show like Arrow. I’ll still say that The CW’s CG and the make-up department is just as good as some DCEU movies. Most fans see the flashforwards as a waste of the present day story. At times, I feel the same way. Everything in Star City crumbles and Oliver’s crusade, at first glance, looks meaningless. But, I’m a sucker for when a protagonist rises up to become the hero they were destined to be. That’s one of the reasons why I love movie franchises like Star Wars. And that’s why I have enjoyed this storyline.
I’m telling you this because I’m about to lay into the flashforwards a little bit and I wanted you all to know where I was coming from. “Star City 2040” did its best to ruin the likability of Mia. I’m on the Arrow subreddit quite a bit and I think the sentiments there describe it best. The drama between her and Felicity was just was too edgy and too forced. The fact we don’t specifically know why Oliver and Felicity wanted to raise Mia out in the woods, away from the rest of Team Arrow, doesn’t help either. And the drama wouldn’t have been that big of a deal but it was the foundation of the entire episode! At least we had that pretty cool Nyssa Al Ghul cameo.
I’m also curious to see how Oliver’s supposed death is Felicity’s fault, especially since the episode ended with her creating an A.I named “Archer”. Since “Elseworlds” ended, I’ve been under the assumption that Oliver would just sacrifice himself in order to save Barry and Kara in “Crisis on Infinite Earths”. Now, I’m not as confident. I’ll say this though. If Felicity is the reason why Oliver bites the dust, fans won’t be too happy. Yeah, I know that I’m sugarcoating it. The reaction would be absolutely horrible.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow, ‘Star City 2040’: The Next Generation Gets a Chance to Shine in the Future 
BY CRAIG WACK · MARCH 19, 2019
http://oohlo.com/2019/03/19/arrow-star-city-2040-the-next-generation-gets-a-chance-to-shine-in-the-future/

To quote the great Ron Burgandy, that escalated in a hurry. This week we spend 99 percent of the time in the near future where it’s confirmed that Felicity is in fact still alive (yay), and at least partially responsible for the dystopian mess Star City/The Glades find themselves in (boo). Here’s everything you need to know about the latest episode of Arrow:
What’s the scoop:  Mia Smoak grew up in a cabin in the woods with only her Nanny Nyssa to keep her company and train her into becoming a martial arts master. She becomes disillusioned when she finds out her mom has been doing vigilante hacking in secret. Mai [sic] does what any dystopian fairy-princess would do:  she runs away to the big city, gets a tattoo, and starts cage fighting to make ends meet. One day she reunites with her long lost half-brother, and they go on a grand adventure to rescue the vigilante mother from the forces of evil real estate developers.
Last impressions: While they have been rare during the series’ run, episodes without a lot of Oliver have always been a tricky proposition. It’s not to say the specter of Ollie didn’t loom large in this episode, but any episode without Stephen Amell in even in a secondary role always feels a little off. William is the one who holds this episode together. He has a firm grasp of who his character is and what that character’s strengths and weaknesses are. Mia, despite being the emotional center of the episode, is not as fully rendered and comes off as petulant and bratty as Sansa Stark in the first couple of seasons of Game of Thrones. They try to remedy some of that by episode’s end when she and Felicity have a bit of a reconciliation, but it’s still not quite enough for Mia to cross into the realm of likability. This episode was clunky at times, but it was an effective change of pace and it gave the future sequences some much-needed forward momentum. The series deserves props for keeping the stakes high during a point in the season where it’s not easy to do so.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Review: Star City 2040 (Season 7 Episode 16)
March 19, 2019   Brianna Martinez
https://www.telltaletv.com/2019/03/arrow-review-star-city-2040-season-7-episode-16/

The hour definitely plays as a backdoor pilot that gives more insight, fills in some blanks, while leaving a few noticeably unfilled, about 2040.
Oliver being there for Felicity and the pair sharing “I love you’ s” as Felicity gives birth is a brief, heartwarming moment for the Queen-Smoak family before things shift and the future begins to move at full speed, giving us more information than we can process at one time.
Nyssa’s appearance is a pleasant and somewhat random surprise that brings up a few questions, including why Nyssa is the one training her and not Oliver. It feels like there’s a heartbreaking reason for Nyssa’s need to train Mia and that sets off a bit of an anxious tension over what we don’t know about the future.
Flash forward 20 years to the future and the Queen-Smoak siblings are on a mission to save their mother, going against her wishes and essentially proving they are indeed their parents’ children. Their trip to the Glades provides a few more quality sibling bonding moments that are equal parts happy and sad to see, considering it’s taken 20 years for them to get to know each other.

But it’s William and Mia’s first scenes with Felicity in 2040 that hit those emotional high points.
William and Felicity’s reunion is an amazingly touching moment that feels like a culmination of the distance Felicity and Oliver have kept between them and their son over the last 2 decades.

From the last time William saw his parents in 2019 to the way he’s described his abandonment, the fact that he’s so quick to understand Felicity’s explanation and how open he is to the hug and love after everything is impressive and shows how he ultimately understands the life his parents lead and what it means.

I love this moment between William and Felicity for that reason; it breaks your heart and warms it simultaneously. Both are happy and seemingly scared at the same time to approach each other, with the pair sharing how they never thought they’d see each other again.
Seeing her reaction to Felicity’s attempted explanation feels like a look into the past and Thea’s response to discovering any of the secrets Moira kept from her, a connection I didn’t expect to make.
In the same breath, a lot of Felicity’s composure and strategy to keep her family together reminds me of Moira as well. If there is one redeeming quality Moira Queen always had was her resolve and determination to keep her family safe.

There’s a moment of understanding, though, between the pair as Mia finally gets the full picture about who precisely the villains are in Star City. Mia finally understands what William’s understood for a very long time, that her parents were on the right side of the fight.
Mia taking on an entire room of security guards is peak Oliver’s daughter and so fantastic to watch.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I do agree that Mia would have to pull back on the me against the world attitude for me to enjoy her long term but we saw KM can pull off nuance in her later scenes with EBR.  And she clearly enjoys William so I’m optimistic 

According to closed captioning, it's "Knightwatch" (not "Night Watch")...

Everything We Learned About 'Arrow's Future in "Star City 2040"
By NICOLE DRUM - March 18, 2019
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/03/19/everything-we-learned-about-arrows-future-in-star-city-2040/#6

SLIDE 1 of 7  SMOAK TECH
SLIDE 2 of 7  CONNOR WORKS FOR NIGHT WATCH
SLIDE 3 of 7  CONNOR REALLY IS ADOPTED
SLIDE 4 of 7  CONNOR AND MIA DATED
... That's right: Diggle's adopted son and Oliver's daughter have a relationship in the future. 
SLIDE 5 of 7  FELICITY IS ALIVE
SLIDE 6 of 7  EDEN CORPS
Remember back in The Flash's fourth season when the Scarlet Speedster had to stop a nuclear bomb explosion already in progress to save the day? Yeah, that bomb was set off by Veronica Dale, a member of the eco-terrorism group called Eden Corps. Galaxy One appears to be a cover for Eden Corps and they have a seriously nefarious plan to take the Archer program global. It's not exactly explained how Eden Corps goes from trying to set off a nuke in 2018 to Archer in 2040, but clearly they're still a problem.

SLIDE 7 of 7  FELICITY CREATED ARCHER
Speaking of Archer, the impressive used as security and surveillance for in the Glades that Eden Corps wants to use on a global scale to shut down heroes forever? Yeah, turns out Felicity created it. After preventing the bombing of Star City, Felicity goes to talk with Mia and as she starts to tell her daughter about the situation, we flash back to the present day. Alone in the apartment, Felicity tries out her latest program, asking "Archer, are you online"? After a moment, the program affirms. The path to 2040? It appears to be set.

Edited by tv echo

ARROW 7.16 Review “Star City 2040”
By AMELIA EMBERWING Mar. 19, 2019
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/03/19/arrow-7.16-review-star-city-2040

There are so many layers to this week’s episode. There’s the top layer of melodrama between Felicity and her children, and Rene and Zoey that keeps your attention throughout. Underneath that is a story about legacy, and even further still is the classic “us vs. them” mentality. Each part of the plot has a purpose, and there are plenty of scenes with Mia kicking everyone’s ass to satisfy those who might want more punch than plot in their Arrow episodes.
Though we didn’t go through the separation or any of the fall of Star City just yet, there’s tangible relief in the reunion of Team Arrow. That emotion can be felt from Dinah and Felicity’s embrace, all the way to the “oh, ps, here’s Oliver and I’s daughter! Whoops!”. There are eventually even a couple of emotional moments between Felicity and Mia, but nothing compares to the moment when she sees her son again for the first time in over twenty years.

Team Arrow has more than one legacy. There’s the one that they created with their heroism (which also happens to the be the one that’s currently being tarnished by bold faced lies), and then there’s the legacy of their children. Connor and Mia have a fight about being the children of heroes. The former had a chance to realize that his demands on his father to care about him more than the city were selfish because he was given a choice, and knew what had been going on his whole life.  Mia had it all thrust on her at once. But, no matter what pace they find themselves ready at, Zoey, Mia, Connor and William all grew up heroes in their own right.

Finally, there’s the “us vs. them” through line. You might have noticed a giant ass wall in this episode. It’s not meant to be subtle, and it’s calling out exactly what you think it is. The Glades may have risen from the ashes, but it’s still being run by the same monsters who thought they could run Star City and failed because of the vigilantes that protected it. Team Arrow defended their city with everything they had, but we saw them fail The Glades time after time. We don’t know exactly what went down just yet, but when things get bad folks will do whatever it takes to save their families. The rich and powerful have been preying on that since the beginning of time. ...

Edited by tv echo

ARROW’ 7×16 REVIEW: ‘STAR CITY 2040’ 
ALYSSA BARBIERI  MARCH 19, 2019
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-7x16-review-star-city-2040/

“Star City 2040” was the kind of episode that proved two things. One, it proved why Arrow can’t survive without Oliver Queen. Arrow has existed for now seven seasons with our central hero and the stories about him and surrounding him. When there’s an expected structure and means of how to handle things, it just feels hollow without your center.

Two, it showed that a world after Arrow could exist. Now, of course I’m not talking about this dark, dystopian future that Arrow has thrust upon and made us rethink why we’re invested if this is how it ends. I’m talking about a future where Mia, like Connor, gets to choose to be a hero; about a future where William gets to grow up with his parents; about a future where Oliver and Felicity get to raise their children and hang up their hero identities when it’s time; about a future where Oliver Queen lives. Because there’s really no other future that makes sense.
But it’d be easy to look past the other side of things. The parental side. Here was Felicity, who lost her husband (which better not be permanent) and had to raise their daughter on her own knowing that there would be a target on both of their backs. Of course Felicity would do whatever it took to protect her family. Yes, she never saw William again after he went away with his grandparents. But it wasn’t by choice. Well, an active choice.

Don’t for a second give me some bullshit about how Felicity doesn’t love her children. How she would lay down her life for them. She had Mia trained to be a strong fighter like her father, so she could protect herself. She helped fund William’s corporation so that he could follow his technology aspirations. While she’s undoubtedly made some mistakes along the way, there’s never been a moment where she hasn’t loved those children or a moment where she wasn’t looking out for their best interests.
Now, the reason I would undoubtedly watch an Arrow spinoff would be because of the New OTA — Mia, William, and Connor. The parallels were obvious. While Arrow has proven it can be dumb at times, they’re not morons. They know the heart of Arrow is Original Team Arrow, and they knew that there was potential with Oliver & Felicity’s kids and Diggle’s kid teaming up to form their own Team Arrow as adults.

While this has been a popular desire since we learned Mia was Olicity’s kid and Connor was the Connor Hawke, this future episode showed New OTA in action — and it was glorious. Much like their parents, there was a strategic plan and execution in how they attacked. They each had a role. They each had their area of expertise. And they each had that rapport that came natural, considering this was their first team-up as a trio ever.

Watching Mia, William, and Connor in the field reminded me of the good ol’ days of Oliver, Felicity, and Diggle becoming one as a team to take down the baddies. The parallels of each individual was obvious — Mia as Oliver, William as Felicity, and Connor as John. And while it might be easy to go, “Oh, look, they’re trying to replicate something as phenomenal as OTA,” it never felt like it. Because these are their children, it felt like a natural passing of the torch.

So, CW, if you’re planning on an Arrow spinoff, please center it around Mia, William, and Connor. That’s where your heart is. I’m sure they’ll include Zoey, as they introduced her as a Canary for a reason. But make sure you focus on these core three. Please and thank you.
Of course if this is the future that Arrow leads to it would make the entire series meaningless. What would be the point of a hero that went from suffering literal hell to growing into the hero he was meant to be, if he was to lose it all in the end? There’s no point. And there’s no way these producers would let that happen.
I’m just going to continue to preach that Oliver Queen needs to survive Arrow and beyond. He’s earned that. He’s earned the right to be happy with his family, to raise his kids, to live the kind of Ivy Town life he was content with at one point. Oliver Queen has earned happiness. And this show better damn well give it to him.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

TV Review: ‘Arrow: Star City 2040’
POSTED MARCH 19TH, 2019 BY DARRYL JASPER
https://sciencefiction.com/2019/03/19/tv-review-arrow-star-city-2040/

One of the big questions answered is how did Mia, this slight and non-threatening woman, get to be the badass she is without Oliver Queen’s tutelage. The early montage of her training under Nyssa Al Ghul’s oversight gives credence to her fighting capabilities—though much of her personality comes from her daddy’s genes. While “Star City 2040” suffers from a cross-stitched conspiracy plot of Keven Dale (CEO of Galaxy One) and his machinations of basically taking over the world, there is an emotional core that grounds the episode, making the very bland bad-guy-wants-power arc into something that, while not wholly amazing, does just enough to keep this episode from being a clunker of over exposition. That is primarily thanks to Katherine McNamara’s performance.

Admittedly, I was not a fan of McNamara’s Mia during the first episode or two. Prior to her identity being revealed, she came across as that generic tough gal with no real weight behind it. Add in her sullen attitude and Mia was nothing we hadn’t seen a thousand times over. But then something changed. First, the script gave her something more than the cookie-cutter persona to work with and that coincided with McNamara’s chemistry with Ben Lewis’s William really blossoming. The scenes between the two just work and has been the only thing of interest to me during the last few glimpses into the future time.
In some ways, “Star City 2040” almost comes across as a back-door pilot, offering the strongest moments of the flash forward yet as the young crew of Mia, Connor, William, and Zoe work with the more experienced Dinah, Felicity, and Roy to stop Dale’s plan to destroy Star City. While I’m not sure this younger cast would have the strength to power a full season of episodes, a 10-week episodic run in place of Arrow’s departure after Season 8 could possibly work. But as it stands, despite much of it coming across rushed and uninspiring, there are some strong character moments that, while it doesn’t save “Star City 2040” from being a middling episode, does give hope that these last few episodes will be able to craft a decent enough end to the future time.
We’ve all heard the term “doing more with less”. For years, Arrow has had an issue with that concept during their fight scenes. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes the mayhem works but, more often than not, the clutter of trying to go big with fights where there’s such a small window for rehearsal leads to corny and uninspiring messes. Having Mia face off (and take down) nearly a dozen well-armed and highly-trained guards destroys any sense of credulity. It’s bad enough when Oliver does the same thing with half the opponents but this was even worse. And it’s not just the ridiculous nature of some of these fights but the more prolonged the action piece, the more telegraphed and rushed the choreography becomes. So–Arrow coordinators and writers–next time around, let’s do a bit more with a lot less.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Having Mia face off (and take down) nearly a dozen well-armed and highly-trained guards destroys any sense of credulity

She was trained by Nyssa her entire life. That’s what makes it credible. Someone didn’t watch the episode. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Having Mia face off (and take down) nearly a dozen well-armed and highly-trained guards destroys any sense of credulity.

They were just armed goons. No one said they were highly trained.  Maybe equipped with some skills but clearly not a match for someone trained all their lives by one of the greats.  Not like she was fighting the LoA, lol.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

I find it more believable that Mia — who was trained by Nyssa and is a really good cage fighter — can take out a room of guards on her own than old Roy (who's been on an island for who knows how many years, with only trees for opponents probably) and Dinah can go around fighting, flipping and jumping down from ceilings/superhero posing unnecessarily. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, tv echo said:

ARROW SEASON 7, EPISODE 16: "STAR CITY 2040" REVIEW
BY JESSE SCHEEDEN 18 MAR 2019
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03/19/arrow-season-7-episode-16-star-city-2040-review

Why are Dinah and Rene the only two older characters that actually look like they’ve aged 20 years?

😂🤣😂🤣😂 Exactly how old does this reviewer think Dinah and Rene are in present day Arrow?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1