Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Interesting, I would have said it was the other way around. Sara was far more fascinating to me and I actually barely take notice of Laurel when she's BC. She just sort of fades into the background, IMO. Nothing really makes her stand out to me. I actually notice her more when she's Laurel. Each to their own, though!

I can't even imagine what show that person was watching to say that Laurel's action sequences are better than Oliver's.  In 401 and 402 all the good action sequences went to Speedy she was kicking ass while Because Comics stood around like she was at a Heavy Metal Concert.

• Love 9

Arrow: Restoration review
Mike Cecchini 10/22/2015 at 6:09PM
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/arrow/249990/arrow-restoration-review

I'm also enjoying the parallel between Felicity/Michael [sic] and early episodes with Oliver/Felicity. Nothing like lying to a genius in order to get shit done! Emily Bett Rickards and Echo Kellum are lots of fun on screen together, and I can certainly take a whole season of this. Not to mention a whole season where Felicity shuts up the macho boys having a spat and kicks metas in the nards.
Bringing back Sara is obviously necessary in order to make Legends of Tomorrow work, but I can't help but feel that the way they're going about this, and Laurel's absolute recklessness, isn't really helping anybody in the "Laurel is a dumbass" camp of Arrow viewers. The bit when she's talking to the feral Sara about how happy poor Quentin Lance will be to see her seemed to strain even the most hardcore devoted sibling logic.
Meanwhile...On an Island...
zzzzzzzz...oh, I'm sorry. Were there flashbacks?
  • Love 4
ut I can't help but feel that the way they're going about this, and Laurel's absolute recklessness, isn't really helping anybody in the "Laurel is a dumbass" camp of Arrow viewers.

This sums up, most accurately and concisely, my feelings about this storyline. Especially since I am quite firmly in that camp and have been for a couple of seasons.

Edited by bethy
  • Love 10

Article about how fandom is shaping entertainment, with quotes from Guggenheim:

Superfans are shaping entertainment

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/10/26/rise-of-fan-culture-fandom-star-wars-pretty-little-liars-arrow/74477946/

Marc Guggenheim, an executive producer for the CW’s Arrow, says fan opinion can influence a show, but in a more indirect way.

"I don’t think it’s possible for any showrunner to say qualitatively that they take in the feedback and ignore it completely," he says. "The danger of the topic is when you get into a binary situation where we’re either affected or we‘re not affected."

But he did point out that there is a group of fans who very directly influence the show.

“(The writers) are probably the biggest fans around,” he says. "We approach these shows really from that perspective."

Plus, he notes, “without the fans watching, there’s no show.”

First one to yell FANSERVICE pays the bills.

• Love 1

I can't even imagine what show that person was watching to say that Laurel's action sequences are better than Oliver's.  In 401 and 402 all the good action sequences went to Speedy she was kicking ass while Because Comics stood around like she was at a Heavy Metal Concert.

Not true...she picked up a small child all by herself and helped him stand!! If that is not an amazing action sequence than I don't know action sequences.:)  If I'm gonna be saved I want it to be by the one person on the team brave enough to ditch her wig and wink me to safety because she is "SO STRONG!" :)

Please read with all the sarcasm available, if we haven't already used it all on this current LL is crazy but "so right" in her bones s4 plotline.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 6

13 most kickass tv superheroines

Black Canary

8/15
The DC character, one of the first superheroines in comics history, has a complicated backstory, having been introduced to TV as an occasional character on "Smallville." Currently a character on the CW's "Arrow" and "The Flash," Black Canary is a vigilante with training as an assassin and warrior. She's also equipped with a mechanical collar that emits the ultrasonic "canary cry." It's taken time, but she's proved her worth to her ex, archer Oliver Queen, as a worthy ally. She's Dinah Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy), whose mother and sister wore the Canary jacket before her. The sister, Sara Lance, is expected to return as White Canary in the CW's upcoming series "Legends of Tomorrow."

http://news.moviefone.com/photos/the-13-most-kick-ass-tv-superheroines#slide=3675330

Black Canary

8/15

The DC character, one of the first superheroines in comics history, has a complicated backstory, having been introduced to TV as an occasional character on "Smallville." Currently a character on the CW's "Arrow" and "The Flash," Black Canary is a vigilante with training as an assassin and warrior. She's also equipped with a mechanical collar that emits the ultrasonic "canary cry." It's taken time, but she's proved her worth to her ex, archer Oliver Queen, as a worthy ally. She's Dinah Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy), whose mother and sister wore the Canary jacket before her. The sister, Sara Lance, is expected to return as White Canary in the CW's upcoming series "Legends of Tomorrow."

I'm confused.  The Dinah Laurel Lance BC didn't have training as an assassin, and her mother never wore the jacket before her.  What the hell?

• Love 2

I blame the show for the confusion this keeps causing over and over and over outside of fandom. This is what happens when one sister SWFs the other: not even the folks at WB and DC comics can figure it out, much less poor rando writers needing to crunch out listicles for clicks. Yeesh.

• Love 6

"The danger of the topic is when you get into a binary situation where we’re either affected or we‘re not affected."

What does this even mean?!

I think he means it's a Catch-22 situation.  If he makes a simple statement of "yes" or "no" (or one that may be reduced to such in a soundbite) then he will upset a big group of people.  He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.  If the writers are influenced by fans, people will cry "fan service."  If they are not influenced, people will cry "liar" or "power trip." 

• Love 3

I think he means it's a Catch-22 situation.  If he makes a simple statement of "yes" or "no" (or one that may be reduced to such in a soundbite) then he will upset a big group of people.  He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.  If the writers are influenced by fans, people will cry "fan service."  If they are not influenced, people will cry "liar" or "power trip." 

Thank you for explaining. I swear I read that sentence a thousand times and couldn't be sure if he meant that. The "binary situation" threw me, ahah.

• Love 1

TVLine's grave speculation - gives each character a certain number of skulls based on likelihood to die (go to link for reasons, I've quoted only the Felicity reasons below)...

Arrow Season 4: Who's in the Grave?
http://tvline.com/gallery/arrow-season-4-who-died/#!1/arrow-season-4-who-died-9/

Nyssa - 2 skulls
Thea - 4 skulls
Oliver's Baby Mama - 2 skulls
Oliver's Son - 1 skull
Diggle - 3 skulls
Laurel - 2 skulls
Lyla - 3 skulls
Felicity - 1 skull
Donna - 2 skulls
Oliver's Flashback Love Interest - 1 skull
Lance - 5 skulls

FELICITY

WHY IT'S HER:
Killing off Oliver's love would certainly have a huge emotional impact and be painful enough to drive the former vigilante to kill again. And on a strictly practical front, new IT guy Curtis Holt could fill the techie void on Team Arrow.

WHY IT'S NOT: Surely, Oliver, not to mention her waterworks-prone pal Barry, would have spilled more tears if it was she who died, right? Also, there's the fact that Jewish Felicity would not have a gravestone until a full year after her death. Plus, what percentage of the series' 2.6 million viewers are "Olicity" fans?
  • Love 1

TVLine's grave speculation - gives each character a certain number of skulls based on likelihood to die (go to link for reasons, I've quoted only the Felicity reasons below)...

Arrow Season 4: Who's in the Grave?

http://tvline.com/gallery/arrow-season-4-who-died/#!1/arrow-season-4-who-died-9/

Love the skulls, but feel like the author should routinely update the skulls at certain intervals as the season progresses. TVline actually does a skulls who's going to die for the other shows throughout the TV seasons, so this is just an extension of what they do. I always find the why it's not going to be the person more insightful than why its them.

Supergirl Proves That Dorky Cuteness Can Still Pack One Hell of a Punch

http://io9.com/supergirl-proves-that-dorky-cuteness-can-still-pack-one-1738871728

Felicity Smoak gets a shoutout in this review of Supergirl

Supergirl leans pretty hard on the quirky tone and the dorkiness of its hero. At times, this pilot comes across almost like, “What if Felicity Smoak from Arrow was a superhuman alien?” In a lot of ways, it’s sort of the tone of the Richard Donner Superman films, but also kind of the tone of classic superhero comics, from before Frank Miller and The Killing Joke and Watchmen and stuff. But Supergirl, thus far, seems more successful at capturing this kind of lightness on superhero TV than a lot of previous efforts, like Lois and Clark.

• Love 3

Supergirl Proves That Dorky Cuteness Can Still Pack One Hell of a Punch

http://io9.com/supergirl-proves-that-dorky-cuteness-can-still-pack-one-1738871728

Felicity Smoak gets a shoutout in this review of Supergirl

I didn't watch because of my love (not) of superpowers, but I saw the trailer and had the exact same thought about Kara being a Felicity doppelganger, without the brains (OK, exact same thought but bitchier).

I actually don't think Felicity and Kara are all that alike.  Also, Felicity's dorky cuteness comes across as natural and innate, while Kara's dorky cuteness seemed forced at times in the pilot episode (imo).

I agree 100% with this article...

‘Arrow’: The Journey of Original Team Arrow Seasons 1-4

OCTOBER 27, 2015

http://fangirlish.com/arrow-the-journey-of-original-team-arrow-seasons-1-4/

Very good article. Agree with most of it, except the heading "star crossed lovers". O&F are not star crossed lovers, by any definition they are not. Even in s3, the only forces keeping them apart were all internal and primarily all OQ. But we have all had that conversation before, so no need to rehash it.

• Love 2

I can see where people could draw comparisons but for me, even in s1, Felicity was wholly confident in her intellect and abilities, it was only social situations that typically caused the babble. Well, that and OQ's abs covered or exposed... Whereas Kara has deliberately been hiding her light and abilities and is only now choosing to embrace them. Yes, she stumbles and I loved the face plant into the underpass, but I get the impression that it's the joy in acknowledgement of her powers and the choice to use them to help people that correlates to her confidence as it increases. I've only had one mug of tea this morning so hope that made sense. 

Edited due to evil apostrophe

Edited by Hipkarma
  • Love 3

This quote by AK is in an article about The Flash and Caitlin's story (potential spoilers if you go to link to read rest of article) - given some past discussions in this Arrow forum, I thought you might find it interesting...

...  but Kreisberg stressed that didn't mean they don't have a plan, noting, "Greg [berlanti] and I and Marc Guggenheim and everybody who works on both shows [Arrow and Flash], we’ve been so blessed with the success that we’ve had that we’ve been able to… A lot of things we’ve done, we’ve rushed and we’ve rushed through them and we’ve gotten to them very fast. But because of the success that we’ve had, we’ve been able to know that we’re going to be on for a years and we were able to play some things the sort of slow con [way] on some of these things. Just because one thing is happening fast, it doesn’t mean that something else is never going to happen, it just means that it’s being platformed. Sometimes you guys realize that these things are being set up [or] it’s only in hindsight that you look back and you go, ‘That thing in episode whatever from early Season 2, that tied to the thing that led to the other thing’ There are plans for a lot of this stuff."

THE FLASH: DANIELLE PANABAKER AND ANDREW KREISBERG TALK FIRESTORM AND KILLER FROST
BY ERIC GOLDMAN    27 OCT 2015
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/27/the-flash-danielle-panabaker-and-andrew-kreisberg-talk-firestorm-and-killer-frost

Edited by tv echo

Other media comparisons of Kara to Felicity...

“Supergirl” is less campy in tone than the 1970s “Superman” films and 180 degrees from Zack Snyder’s dour “Man of Steel.” The series more closely resembles its cousins on the CW, “Arrow” and “The Flash.” Essentially Kara is a super-powered version of Emily Bett Rickards’ Felicity on “Arrow,” mixed with the same joyfulness Grant Gustin brings to the Scarlet Speedster.

Less campy and of the moment, CBS’ likable ‘Supergirl’ shows promise
OCTOBER 25, 2015  BY DAVID FRESE
http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/tv/article41393280.html

As for the current Supergirl, Melissa Benoist certainly embodies Kara, through carrying the same kind of massive pressure on seemingly small shoulders if nothing else. Being a superheroine and being the lead of a massively hyped new show are big enough burdens for Kara and Benoist, albeit in different dimensions and contexts. Yet they are both the only ones around to carry the torch for superwomen, both have expectations that go beyond their own universes, both are scrutinized for acting weird and different, and both have to live under the big shadows of others -- Superman for Kara, and both the CW heroes and Emily Bett Rickards' Felicity Smoak for Benoist.

Kara and Benoist each walk a fine line between heroic and overly quirky, and have been ever since that first trailer in May drew endless comparisons to SNL's Black Widow rom-com parody. But before long, the kind of tongue tied social awkwardness that even Felicity outgrew after a while starts to recede, at least after the first half hour. As Kara takes more and more punches physically and emotionally, eventually fights back against both, and receives the kind of support in finding her true destiny that she hasn't had in decades, she and Benoist provoke an emotional connection that doesn't have anything to do with other 'Super' members of her family, or the DC TV family.

Supergirl S1: E1 -- 'Pilot'
By Robert Dougherty October 27, 2015 08:52AM EDT
http://www.themovienetwork.com/review/supergirl-s1-e1-pilot

So, with the show constantly patting itself on the back for having introduced a female superhero, a lot of the weight falls on her secret identity, which also falls flat. First of all, she’s just a worse version of Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) from the CW series “Arrow.” For those unfamiliar with the character, she’s a strong, socially-awkward member of the Green Arrow’s team. Her weapons are her intelligence and bravery, not her fists. This makes her a fantastic role model for viewers, particularly women, who would rather relate to a real person than a powered player. Unfortunately, all the things that make Felicity work, are taken out of Danvers. Her weapons are her fists, making her alter ego just a sheepish parody of a gal that can’t win.

'Supergirl' CBS Premiere Has A Female Superhero And Not Much Else [REVIEW]
By Tyler McCarthy  October 09 2015 3:06 PM EDT
http://www.ibtimes.com/supergirl-cbs-premiere-has-female-superhero-not-much-else-review-2134970

Edited by tv echo

Last week Laura Hurley wrote this article on "5 Reasons Arrow Is Better Than The Flash".

Now her colleague at CinemaBlend, Eric Eisenberg, has written his rebuttal article titled "5 Reasons The Flash Is Better Than Arrow".

Two of his major points seem to be: (1) Flash's "monster-of-the-week" storytelling makes the show fresher and more original than Arrow's serial drama (I disagree, I think the monster-of-the-week storytelling is repetitive and boring); and (2) "ewww... no girl cooties" on Flash (well, okay, I'm paraphrasing).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

He lost me at the "keeps the romantic melodrama to a minimum," LMAO. And where is he getting Felicity constantly worrying about Oliver? This season she had a moment of anger at Diggle and Oliver for almost getting killed by going it on their own, but I can' think of only a couple of times where she's fretted over Oliver's safety regarding superheroing -mostly when he's being stupid, wanting to go out and fight after being drugged or whatever. She's the one who wanted him to get back into it this season.

• Love 9

This is an interesting perspective (I could only quote excerpts, so you might want to read the whole article)...

Bam, Crash, Snooze: TV Fight Scenes Have Never Been Less Fun to Watch
By Willa Paskin  OCT. 28 2015 8:02 AM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/10/28/tv_fight_scenes_from_supergirl_to_quantico_why_they_have_never_been_less.html

Despite the presence of superheroes, aliens, and nuclear medieval weaponry, the aforementioned fight scenes are a TV commonplace. You can watch some iteration of them on shows like Blindspot, Castle, The Player, Blacklist, Sleepy Hollow, Quantico, Minority Report, Grimm, Arrow, The Flash, Agent Carter, and Agents of SHIELD, among others. These are a very specific kind of fight scene. Monster punches are thrown, but are only ever filmed from behind the person being hit, so the punches never have to land. Furniture is broken and guns are brandished but dropped. The protagonist either wins (if the fight takes place at the end of the episode), or loses in some inconsequential way (if it takes place in the middle). The outcome is never in doubt. You can fast-forward, go the bathroom, text or read the Internet while these fights are taking place and miss nothing. I know because that’s what I do every single time one comes on.
I understand that human beings, generally speaking, enjoy watching violence. And the fight scenes described above are tailored for enjoyment, a bit of adrenaline spiking razzle-dazzle in which you never have to fear for the hero. But, oh god, they are so boring. They make smashed tables, roundhouse kicks, and gun scuffles pedestrian: the protagonist could get thrown into a table, roundhouse kicked, and shot by a gun and, yet, by the next scene, be just fine (and that does not only apply to the superheroes). Contemporary TV crimefighters are surrounded by all sorts of high-tech gadgets, but their fights have been teleported in from an ancient B-movie.
This is not a call for fights to get hyper-graphic. And it’s not a call for fight scenes to get as detailed and expansive as they are in the action and superhero movies. (TV can’t compete with movies on scope. Trying to go big, when TV’s bigness will almost always be on a smaller budget, is what has led to so many bland sequences. And besides, most fight scenes from superhero movies are boring too—they just cost $20 million more and took up 30 more minutes of your life.)  But it is a call for fight scenes to come with some consequences, a smidge of doubt.
  • Love 3

Last week Laura Hurley wrote this article on "5 Reasons Arrow Is Better Than The Flash".

Now her colleague at CinemaBlend, Eric Eisenberg, has written his rebuttal article titled "5 Reasons The Flash Is Better Than Arrow".

Two of his major points seem to be: (1) Flash's "monster-of-the-week" storytelling makes the show fresher and more original than Arrow's serial drama (I disagree, I think the monster-of-the-week storytelling is repetitive and boring); and (2) "ewww... no girl cooties" on Flash (well, okay, I'm paraphrasing).

To each their own, he is right that FLASH is generally a funnier show, but it also has a more juvenile tone to the whole show.

For me personally, the procedural element/monster of a week can get very boring and repetitive (it also helps that BA works for the CCPD, so its really just covering his day job scriptwise). I also think the time warp/AUs is going to become the same shackle to FLASH that the flashbacks are to ARROW. Both great storytelling narrative devices, but they have their limitations & can easily burden a show. I really just want him to sit back and wait. Because we all know the romantic melodrama is only a few eps away with the budding new LI (Patty) and the heart eyes FlashAU between Caitlin had romantic overtones. Nevermind people already ship Snowbarry & WestAllen, so the romantic melodrama is there. And thinking bigger and smarter, not sure that is valid since they literally just brought back their s1 Villain in the recent episode.

This is an interesting perspective (I could only quote excerpts, so you might want to read the whole article)...

Bam, Crash, Snooze: TV Fight Scenes Have Never Been Less Fun to Watch

By Willa Paskin  OCT. 28 2015 8:02 AM

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/10/28/tv_fight_scenes_from_supergirl_to_quantico_why_they_have_never_been_less.html

I will say that at least Arrow does actually show the heroes being injured. I have seen the bruises, broken and bleeding on everyone of the fighters. It seems at least realistic.

• Love 1

I actually think out of the CW shows, The 100 is the most realistic (tv wise) with blood and injuries. They'll have characters walking around with bloody clothes and faces for 3 or 4 episodes. Sometimes they actually show the cut slowly healing. 

However I get why we don't see realistic recover times, because who wants to see the character in the hospital for a week after being shot? Or limping around on crutches for 3 months from a broken leg? Nobody. That's why I'm fine with tv characters having rapid healing abilities so we can move on the next story. 

• Love 4

Stephen Amell & Emily Bett Rickards of 'Arrow' loved working with director Lexi Alexander
http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/stephen-amell-emily-bett-rickards-of-arrow-loved-working-with-director-lexi-alexander

Stephen Amell: “Lexi had wonderful notes. Oliver and Quentin have scenes in Lexi's episode that are some of my favorite stuff, not just this year but in the entire history of the show. Lexi was present when she needed to be and back away when she needed to. She was just great. I really enjoyed working with her.

Emily Bett: “She was really cool. She has an interesting technique where she hides in room. She hangs out in the dark corners between the fake walls of the set. Then she decides what take she liked the best via listening. I'm sure she watches all the takes again too, but she listens [from behind-the-set] to each take and says “I think we got it!” She was really fun to work with.”

ARROW: "BEYOND REDEMPTION" REVIEW
BY JESSE SCHEDEEN  28 OCT 2015
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/29/arrow-beyond-redemption-review

... The strongest scenes weren’t the big, action-packed shootouts or even those featuring Neal McDonough’s Damien Darhk (though he was great, as usual). They were the pair of scenes set in Quentin’s apartment....
I will say that this episode did no favors for Laurel. Her character was already at a low point after last week’s episode, where she ignored the advice of everyone around her and selfishly chose to bring her sister back to life. Now she has Sara chained up in a basement and chose to put her already physically frail father through an emotional meat grinder. Selfish is almost too tame a word to describe Laurel at this point.
... It’s always fun to see Team Arrow functioning as a well-oiled unit. If only Laurel didn’t have to dampen the fun with that awful “Different frequency, same cry!” one-liner. I can picture Halle Berry’s Storm watching the episode and wincing.
Felicity continues to be the most entertaining character on the show this season, whether she’s bankrolling Ollie’s campaign, running point for Team Arrow or off doing her own thing with Curtis. I am concerned that she’s going to fall into a similar trap as she did last season, with her storylines becoming completely divorced with what’s going on with the rest of the gang. Hopefully once the Ray Palmer mystery resolves itself, the two halves of the show will better align again.
The Verdict
It's great to see Arrow making up for the mistakes of Season 3. This season might just be the most consistently good right out of the gate. Between Alexander's enjoyable fight scenes and the compelling Ollie/Lance drama, there was a lot to like in this week's installment. If only we could get Laurel to stop behaving like the world's worst sister and daughter, the show would be on Easy Street.
  • Love 4

I disagree with that reviewer about the fight sequences. They are terrible this season.  For a show that's about the Arrow, it's ridiculous that all Oliver does now is stand around and watch the others fight. I also hate the way they have lessened Oliver's fighting ability. 

Thanks for posting the review.

Edited by Chasity
  • Love 6

Arrow Recap: Karma Police
By Jenny Raftery  October 29, 2015 9:09 a.m.
http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/arrow-recap-season-4-episode-4.html?mid=twitter-share-vulture

The theme of Arrow’s fourth season is family. Four episodes in, the show has already set in motion several family-themed arcs — Oliver taking Thea under his superhero wing, Diggle searching for his brother’s killer, Laurel bringing back her sister from the dead.

But in this week’s excellent “Beyond Redemption,” the most compelling dynamic is not one based on blood or marriage or even friendship, for that matter. Rather, it’s the fractured quasi-father-son relationship between Oliver Queen and Quentin Lance that provides the most satisfying conflict in this week’s episode, expertly directed by Lexi Alexander.
... So far, the writers (and, I should add, Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards) have excelled at seamlessly folding Felicity and Oliver’s relationship into the Team Arrow dynamic. I love that they’ve created these flashes of relationship intimacy without having to focus an episode on the “relationship.” This is not to say that I can’t appreciate the wonder that is Olicity angst and smut. But I take even more delight knowing that Olicity is now simply part of the show’s fabric.
Don’t worry, Laurel tells Quentin, Sara’s has just been “gone” for a little while and will soon “know” her family again. Laurel also tells Thea earlier in the episode that Sara just “needs more time.” “I promise,” Laurel says. I don’t understand where the show or Katie Cassidy is going with this character. Is this some kind of psychotic break for Laurel? Has she deluded herself into thinking chaining Sara in a basement and showing her pictures will make her all better? (“And this is a picture of me and Oliver. You remember him? You remember how you stole him from me and ruined my life?”) Or is this meant as a sincere attempt to show sister love conquers all? It’s like the show has forgot completely that Laurel used to be a force of logic and principle. And yet the strange thing is Laurel seems perfectly reasonable outside this specific Sara-back-from-the-dead context. I’m hoping for some clarity as this story line progresses, or that it disappears altogether once Sara bolts for Legends.
... I loved this week’s exchange, not only because of the outstanding performances by Amell and Paul Blackthorne but because it offered something deeper between the two than the usual curmudgeonly banter (although I love that, too).
* Awww, they used the Olicity light for Quentin and Oliver.
* Ugh, this episode makes me fear they are going to kill Quentin. The scene with Oliver felt like closure of some kind. Also, they just gave Laurel her very own suit closet in the new lair, so I’m guessing they are not going to kill her off. Double ugh.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4