Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

TV Fanatic is now claiming that someone else (not CP) reposted that just to continue to attack the reporter. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Ugh, who the hell would do that and why? Oh, they're just making it worse and giving shippers a bad name.

EVERYONE: We have talked to Emily and we have talked to The CW. They are fine with the interview and with our decision to pull it from our site. TV Fanatic did NOT post this here. The reporter did NOT post this here. There is passion for an actress and there is crossing a line into bullying.... these comments are crossing a line. Please stop.

Okay, just read this. I don't really like them pulling the bullying card though, just because people wanted an apology. That's just unnecessary.

Ugh. I'd like this to stop now. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 3

I hate it when it gets so ugly... The line gets so blurry between passion & bullying, especially if people are not careful with their wording. I didn't watch the interview so I can't say that an apology is warranted or not. But I wish it would all stop. It was one bad interview and clearly TVfanatic got the message and did the right thing and took it down. Which to me should be considered a victory, now people just need to let it go. I remember last year when there was fight between some of the BATB fandom & Tiffany Vogt. It got so ugly, she claimed some threatening messages (which is never ok) were sent to her that clearly crossed lines from her & her site's perspective. It just steamrolled out of control. I hope a similar thing does not happen now. People should never feel bullied or threatened over a poorly conducted interview.

• Love 1

I didn't see any actual bullying unless you count people saying they're boycotting TVFanatic bullying. Most of the comments were just people demanding an apology and that the video be removed. The bullying card from TVFanatic was a bad move. In other news, the woman who did the interview deactivated her Twitter account. I guess pissing off two fanbases (Iris and Felicity) got to be too much for her and she couldn't take the heat.

• Love 2

I think it's on the verge of going too far. That reporter didn't bully EBR, she was an asshole to her. Not okay, but the video was taken down, so what good does continuously @ replying her do? It's probably not going to make her any more pleasant in future interviews (if she gets them).

• Love 5

I think it's already gone too far. She deleted her twitter account. I thought the interview was terrible and an apology was warranted but deleting twitter is kind of ridiculous. Maybe she deleted it to look more like a victim, it's entirely possible since they've already played that card with the bullying comment, but it's also possible she was inundated with tweets and it was too much. That's way too far. 

And yeah, I agree with @apinknightmare. This is not going to make her any more pleasant in future. It's probably going to be worse now. 

• Love 3
(edited)

What was said to CP? Are her fans going after her too?

Nice job with the acknowledgment. Imply they didn't do anything wrong and call the fans bullies. Why not just say: We have heard your complaints. The intention was not to offend Emily Bett Rickards or the fans. We apologize for any misunderstandings and have decided to pull the video in consideration. 

The fans should take a breath. If they continue to make a big deal about this, its going to backfire on them. Sadly, I think that 'apology' is just going to keep it going.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 4

I don't know. The tweets about EBR had calmed down until the interviews with WM and CP were released. Then things snowballed again. Otherwise, I think things would've settled down. If she hadn't done 3 really bad interviews concerning 2 of the more vocal fanbases, it probably wouldn't have gotten to the point where it seems like things are going too far.

• Love 1
(edited)

What was said to CP?

Nice job with the acknowledgment. Imply they didn't do anything wrong and call the fans bullies. Why not just say: We have heard your complaints. The intention was not to offend Emily Bett Rickards or the fans. We apologize for any misunderstands and have decided to pull the video in consideration. 

As far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong), she just said in one of her articles that she wanted Iris to get eaten by Grodd or something. I don't know the full story as I only vaguely sort of watch The Flash and don't follow the show closely at all. 

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't know there was a CP interview. I haven't watched it.

And yeah, this has been handled badly. They should have just acknowledged the complaints, apologized, and moved on. Now it's just plain messy.

Edited by Angel12d

I'm not sure what all has been going on behind the scenes. I have been following today's events from this board & not twitter. So who knows what private messages she might have been getting. Maybe Twitter suspended her account to help manage the chaos. Perhaps she was an ass to EBR and she should apologize. But that needs to come from her organically and not be coerced. A coerced apology is not an apology. I'm glad TVFanatic removed the video, I think that is a step in the right direction. But agree with others, they probably could have handled it better from the beginning.

Either way, no one not the interviewer, the interviewee or others should feel bullied before/during/after the interview. I just think there is so many more positive things people can be doing with their time.

• Love 1
(edited)

Re: Candice

In the TV Fanatic interview (if that's what we're still referencing) the reporter said that fans were split on Iris being a love interest and what her own opinion of it was.

As far as I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong), she just said in one of her articles that she wanted Iris to get eaten by Grodd or something.

uh....

Edited by wingster55
(edited)

That doesn't seem to bad. I mean she didn't tell Candice that she was ruining the show or anything?

Eta: the interview I mean, not the aforementioned article.

Edited by Delphi

And there was a difference how she did CP interview and how a DP interview.

Can you expand on that?

It seems she is jumping on whatever negativity there is out there and using them to get a response out of the actress. Was there a negative reaction to Felicity this season? Yes. Did The Fallen break the internet? Yes. She chooses to go with the negative reaction. Same with CP. I see a lot of people out there shipping WestAllen. The interviewer chooses to mention some people don't.

• Love 1
(edited)

I kinda see both sides here. It's not as though the reporter said that it's her opinion (which it may or may not be) but it seems more of her asking the actors to "address the haters" so to speak. If she did that to all actors...no issue from me. But I haven't seen them all so I don't know if it was selective.

What does this reaction mean?

It's surprise. That's a really extreme reaction to have towards a fictional character.

Edited by wingster55

There's a way to ask an actor to address negative fan reaction without being an asshole. She could've said, "Emily, there are some people who didn't like Felicity's story arc this season, and felt that she was a weak link. What do you have to say about that?" instead of commenting on how people thought Felicity ruined the show. I don't have any issues with people getting called out for being rude, but the interview was removed - no need to harass the lady. 

• Love 11

I think they are trying to get her removed from Arrow coverage. Which I get, but you can't get every blogger who disagrees with your view point removed. Just don't give them clicks.

• Love 5
(edited)

I've seen a couple interviews where "polarizing" was the tactful way the interviewer asked EBR about Felicity in season 3. *That's* how you do an interview without being offensive, not "People hate you and think you ruined the show. What are your thoughts'"

And I'm sorry, but considering how this interviewer's behavior has made the story more about herself than the interviewees, I wouldn't want her talking to the actors anymore. This drama is tiring.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 7

For a second there I thought the interviewer actually told Candice that she wanted Iris to get eaten by Grodd to her face. I'm glad that wasn't the case.

Emily's interview could've gone so much better. The interviewer was basically on a mission to let Emily know just how much Felicity sucks.

As far as Arrow goes, the only other time I thought, "dude, why would you say that to their face?" is during a panel when a fan told Willa that Thea was a brat and he wanted her to die. IIRC, she responded with "Ouch!" and then the fan proceeded to say that Thea has improved and she's great now. It ended on a positive note, at least. I will never understand why people feel the need to say such things directly to a cast member, though.

• Love 1

I've seen a couple interviews where "polarizing" was the tactful way the interviewer asked EBR about Felicity in season 3. *That's* how you do an interview without being offensive, not "People hate you and think you ruined the show. What are your thoughts'"

Seriously, how is that not bullying?

There's a way to ask an actor to address negative fan reaction without being an asshole. She could've said, "Emily, there are some people who didn't like Felicity's story arc this season, and felt that she was a weak link. What do you have to say about that?" instead of commenting on how people thought Felicity ruined the show. I don't have any issues with people getting called out for being rude, but the interview was removed - no need to harass the lady.

True enough

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm good with reporters baiting actors into giving honest answers. But the baiting shouldn't ever be potentially hurtful. That's where she crossed the line. Remember the lady who told Amell she still thought Oliver was in love with Laurel? Hilarity aside, that's not hurtful. And she got a great A+ response from him, all honesty, no bullshit in return.

EBR's repeating the "she ruined the show" in that really surprised/sad voice? And then answering "I don't know what to say to that"? That's not good journalism.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 13

Seriously, how is that not bullying?

I don't think telling EBR that there are people who hate Felicity and think she's ruined the show makes that reporter a bully, I just think it makes her an asshole. And someone who shouldn't be interviewing people. I'd feel a little differently if she was talking about an actual person.

• Love 10

Saw this today though I'm sure it's been posted elsewhere.  I have to agree with EBR and I hope she gets the material she and Felicity deserve this season:

http://www.themarysue.com/arrow-emily-bett-rickards-stop-crying-felicity/

That’s my hope and the plan and, hopefully, she gets funnier again because I don’t want to see her crying all of the time. It was a big disappointment to me to have her crying a lot—because one thing I love about Felicity so much is that she’s so strong and independent and sticks to her guns and is true to herself. And that is something I admire about her. I think she was true to herself last year, but I just don’t know if she necessarily knew what she was doing was authentic and she was trying to find it.

I thought she cried too much, not because women shouldn't cry but the material she was getting was taking away the character's strength.  I love funny women,  there needs to be more of them on TV, and when the show made her a female lead, they equated that status with adding more drama to her life and having her react in a way that took something away from what made Felicity special on the show.  I'm relieved to see EBR mention it.  Whether or not it was true to the character, I don't know of the drama she went through was good for the character, at least I didn't find it entertaining to watch.  If they can write Felicity to her strengths and the rest of the women on the show too, then I'd watch that.  I don't know if I have faith that will happen, but I hope it will.

• Love 5

I'd feel a little differently if she was talking about an actual person.

In a way, she kind of is. EBR talks about Felicity as if she were a real person. She's said in the past that she feels like Felicity is her best friend or a part of her. Actors get really close to their characters that they portray for multiple years, so it can be really hurtful/verging on bullying in my opinion. Plus, since EBR is the face and voice of the character, it's obviously going to be something that she can take personally like she's letting the show down.

• Love 3

I think the best course of action would be to have Emily tweet out a thank you to her very dedicated and passionate fans for looking out for her, but to take a breathe and focus on what an awesome season they have coming up (those would be her words not mind). 

I feel that would be the smart thing.

The not smart thing is secretly wishing deep down that SA would lose his twitter cool and let people know that some people aren't worth talking too.

• Love 2

In a way, she kind of is. EBR talks about Felicity as if she were a real person. She's said in the past that she feels like Felicity is her best friend or a part of her. Actors get really close to their characters that they portray for multiple years, so it can be really hurtful/verging on bullying in my opinion. Plus, since EBR is the face and voice of the character, it's obviously going to be something that she can take personally like she's letting the show down.

Sorry, she's not. She's talking about a fictional character, that I'm sure EBR feels very close to and loves a whole lot. I'm not saying it wasn't a hurtful thing to hear, but I do not think it was bullying. 

• Love 2
The not smart thing is secretly wishing deep down that SA would lose his twitter cool and let people know that some people aren't worth talking too.

HEEEE. Okay, yeah, I admit, I think I would pay actual real money to see someone tell Stephen that they think Felicity ruined the show.

• Love 14

EBR makes a great point re: Felicity's lack of authenticity being so OOC because it definitely came off that way to me as a viewer. I had a big problem with what seemed to be Felicity lying to herself in her relationship with Ray because she's always been such a straight shooter but I chalked it up yet again to the showrunners forcing character to sell Ray's storyline. Sadly, it's kind of sounding like she's going to be on prop duty for Ray's storyline again from what WM talked about at SDCC. This LoT spinoff cannot start soon enough for me.

• Love 4

HEEEE. Okay, yeah, I admit, I think I would pay actual real money to see someone tell Stephen that they think Felicity ruined the show.

I'm thinking it's somewhere between his 'I think Oliver is still in love with Laurel' and his 'someone mentioned Ray and Felicity, must keep my cool' face. Lol

EBR makes a great point re: Felicity's lack of authenticity being so OOC because it definitely came off that way to me as a viewer. I had a big problem with what seemed to be Felicity lying to herself in her relationship with Ray because she's always been such a straight shooter but I chalked it up yet again to the showrunners forcing character to sell Ray's storyline. Sadly, it's kind of sounding like she's going to be on prop duty for Ray's storyline again from what WM talked about at SDCC. This LoT spinoff cannot start soon enough for me.

This may sound like wishful thinking, but because Felicity felt so different as a character at times in S3 I almost think all she needs is a few episodes of solid characterization to make all those people that turned on dime to flip back to her corner.

This is small, but I love that the article stated that they love Felicity but this was a hard season for her. Personally, I have never gone from loving a character to hating them. I always have this affection for them that stops any frustrations from going to hate. If anything, I just turn off the TV and keep the good memories.

• Love 5
(edited)

Oh I never hated Felicity either, even if I got exhaustion from watching her storyline last season. I do, however, derive some comfort from the fact that EBR spent most of SDCC and in all of these articles acknowledging that even she didn't love what happened to her character in S3. It makes me feel like not such a bad Felicity fan, heh.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 6

One of the things I do wish Emily had done was address the fact that she did do something this season. She was important in stopping Ra's. She was important to the Team while Oliver was gone. That her objections to teaming with Malcolm were valid. She had a hard season and it took it's toll on her and she wasn't as put together this season, but she wasn't useless.

• Love 9
(edited)

I think to a degree some of what was happening with Felicity was beats of a 3 year plan with Laurel. This crew just doesn't know how to write for a female romantic lead. Hopefully they just let them be true to themselves in the plot. Instead if this is what we need these characters to do for plot or other character's progression.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 6

I think to a degree some of what was happening with Felicity was beats of a 3 year plan with Laurel. This crew just doesn't know how to write for a female romantic lead. Hopefully they just let them be true who themselves in the plot. Instead if this is what we need these characters to do for plot or other character's progression.

I was thinking about this and Oliver become Green Arrow in S4. There was a lot of talk about them rushing Olicity in S3 and I think this was why. They had a plan for Laurel and Oliver and it didn't work so they decided to move the pieces around. It apparently didn't occur to them that Felicity and Laurel are not interchangable and angst-ridden doesn't fit the Olicity relationship that was already in place.

• Love 11

This may sound like wishful thinking, but because Felicity felt so different as a character at times in S3 I almost think all she needs is a few episodes of solid characterization to make all those people that turned on dime to flip back to her corner.

I don't think it's wishful thinking at all--I saw a lot of positive reaction about her in 322 from people who'd been irritated by her/her storyling for awhile. A lot of stuff that was like, "Huh, just like that, I love Felicity again!" I don't think it would be hard at all for them to turn people around again.

• Love 7
(edited)

I think the journalist should have been more diplomatic. Emily is not responsible for the writting and it was rude to say to her face that many think Felicity ruined the show. I definitely think the questions should have been directed to Marc. However, reading what fans have been saying on social media, I think some are overly protective when it concerns her and try to silence any kind of criticism against her character or storylines, even though the writting for Felicity in S3 wasn't so good. 

Edited by rainydawn

I don't think it's wishful thinking at all--I saw a lot of positive reaction about her in 322 from people who'd been irritated by her/her storyling for awhile. A lot of stuff that was like, "Huh, just like that, I love Felicity again!" I don't think it would be hard at all for them to turn people around again.

I saw the same after 3.16 when Oliver and Felicity actually talked and weren't at odds. 3.20 was my favorite Felicity episode this year though. For more reasons than just Oliver and Felicity (Malcom and Felicity).

Maybe I'm biased but I still think the best part of 3.22 was the tablet kill that wasn't.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the best course of action would be to have Emily tweet out a thank you to her very dedicated and passionate fans for looking out for her, but to take a breathe and focus on what an awesome season they have coming up (those would be her words not mind).

I'm all in favor of this situation being diffused, but it shouldn't fall to Emily to clean up the mess TV Fanatic and its asshole reporter made for themselves. I hate conflict and try to avoid it as much as possible, but I've learned the hard way that when someone is an utter bitch to you, you don't owe it to them to lessen the repercussions of their actions. If some of the fans have crossed the line, that's unfortunate, but TV Fanatic and the reporter can fix that by posting an actual, sincere apology that doesn't try to shift the blame to the fans. Or they can do nothing, and hope this all blows over. But they don't deserve to have Emily ameliorate this situation at all. Fuck them.

Sorry, I'm still working through my bitterness. But at least I posted it here, instead of tweeting about it. :-)

And I realize you weren't saying they deserve anything from Emily, 10Eleven12. I just don't want to see her lift a finger for them, cause bitter.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 13

I started going to TV Fanatic because I was impressed with Jim Halterman's interview's about Castle. He was fair, intelligent, and pulled out good opinions from the people he interviewed.

Maybe they're a victim of their own success.  The problem I have with the site now is that they are so biased against Felicity being anything but a comic sidekick, and that interview was bullying but it was also extremely unprofessional.  That's a question that came out of the interviewer's personal prejudices and never should have been asked at an official interview.

If she didn't like who Felicity was in s3, the person to ask the question of would be MG, not the actress who has to do the best she can with the script they give her.

• Love 5
. . . . and that interview was bullying but it was also extremely unprofessional.  That's a question that came out of the interviewer's personal prejudices and never should have been asked at an official interview.

Absolutely. It just reminds me of crazily invested people online - I never engage with them, because that way lies madness, but I'm always tempted to reply with a combination of u mad tho? and I didn't know the show was your boyfriend.

If she didn't like who Felicity was in s3, the person to ask the question of would be MG, not the actress who has to do the best she can with the script they give her.

Holy shit, this so very much. I'm sorry, but what exactly is EBR supposed to do once handed a script? Especially as she's that luckiest of luckiest of actors, who came in for a nothing role (plucky comic relief) and ended up as love interest and part of main ensemble? You know, I find that to be the downside of modern blogging journalism - you get people with their own agenda, with no idea of how the tv industry works, asking nonsense questions like that.

• Love 1
(edited)

Short clip of ExtraTV interviewing EBR at SDCC - she says we get to see Oliver & Felicity as a couple and we get to see them happy "for a bit"...

https://twitter.com/extratv/status/620258975997562880

This post has haunted me since I read it in my attempt to catch up after too many hours off this site!

However, I re-watched and was relieved when EBR clarified "I didn't say they failed" and went on to talk about how the show loves "tortured love."  So, I think the "for a bit" part might have referred to their time away (we've been teased a peek at the travels/domestic bliss) before they have to face the implications of their return to Starling City--but I'm confident that they don't break up.  Everything we heard from interviews from SA, EBR, and WM seemed to indicate that they've invested too much in building the Olicity relationship for it to be destroyed any time soon.

ETA: Here is the entire interview with her clarification:

Edited by EmeraldArcher
  • Love 4

Yeah, I think they're equating happy with "care free," like while they're away from Starling City. I think the "tortured love" part comes into play when they come back to Star(ling) City and the real world, and have to try to make it work personally and professionally. They're gonna fight and hit some bumps there. I mean, I'm not ruling a breakup out of the question - but I don't think that's what they're referring to now.

• Love 5