Type keyword(s) to search

Who Is... Arthur Chu?

Chip
  • Start Topic

I guess spoilers because why not.

I only catch Jeopardy every once in a while, but I have kept seeing articles about Arthur Chu and his "crazy" way of playing.

He's just jumping around the board and getting lucky by cashing in on Daily Doubles, right? Every story talks about how divisive this guy is.

Also, did I make up the fact that Jeopardy used to kick you off after 5 wins?

I don't know the answer to the 5 wins question. I, like you only catch it every once in a while but have been tuning in more on purpose because of Chu (I actually DVRd it last night and watched it later because I wanted to see him play).

Dave mentioned him in a recent EHG and I cannot for the life of me remember which one, but I believe that not only is the "Daily Double Hunting" part of his strategy but he's also doing some non traditional betting. I think I read somewhere that once he landed on a Daily Double in a category he wasn't strong in and bet $5.00 which is totally allowed but no one does it. Things like that. Dave outlined a specific betting strategy for Final Jeopardy that I cannot remember but sounded interesting. I also think his Daily Double strategy is twofold in that he wants them even if it's just to keep the other players from getting to them. Of course he's also really good at trivia answers (though no one last night knew Blue Jasmine which drove me crazy only because of the recent news coverage and Oscar buzz and doesn't everyone know Andrew Dice Clay was in it?) there was some answer the night before last that was very "of the moment" that I was screaming at my TV, it might have been The LEGO movie, and he didn't know it. 

I think I'll continue to DVR until he's off at least... I get home around 7:30 (east coast, when it's on live) and it's hard for me to immediately sit down and watch, also even though it's not actually that long the portion of the show where Alex interviews the guests makes me VERY impatient and being able to fast forward is super nice. 

He wasn't the first player to jump around the board, but like many viewers I find it incredibly annoying. If your interest in the show is to play along at home, it's much easier to get right answers if the players run down a category, because as the questions get harder, you're more focused on the subject. (And sometimes the answers and/or questions build on each other.)

That 5 wins rule was tossed in 2003.

Which is what allowed for Ken Jennings!

I watched his entire streak, and I did not see why the media made such a big deal out of him. He was not the first contestant to board-hop; Jeopardy geeks know that strategy as the "Forrest Bounce," for Chuck Forrest, the first contestant to win big by skipping around the board. It was his personality that many found polarizing, more than his game style.

I think I read somewhere that once he landed on a Daily Double in a category he wasn't strong in and bet $5.00 which is totally allowed but no one does it.

That is correct; what bugged was not only that he did it but immediately said "I don't know" instead of making an educated guess. It was a sports category, and all he had to do was name a sport. I get that he didn't want to waste time, and that he was more interested in keeping the DD away from the other players than in getting it right himself, but it came off as un-sporting.

• Love 1
(edited)

I see nothing wrong with his style of playing.  When I play at home I always do all the 1000's, 800s, 600s, etc., across the board to accumulate big money early.  It's just another strategy.  I agree that it was his off-putting personality that had people in an uproar.  Poor social skills.  I also noticed his weakness - American pop culture.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 2
(edited)

A:  This person had his notable winning streak this year brought down by a new win streak within a couple of months.

Q:  Who is.... Arthur Chu? :)!!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3
(edited)

I wasn't a fan either, but the idea is for him to win, not aid the other contestants or the home viewer. (And now that I've defended Arthur Chu, I must go lie down).

Edited by GaryE

I'm interested to know which type A, arrogant, overly aggressive and competitive, board-hopping sore loser you find the most annoying- Arthur Cho or the recently departed Matt whats-his-face. I'm a little torn but I lean toward Cho because, at least,Matt ? smiled occasionally. What are your thoughts?

Oops! Sorry I misspelled Arthur's name. It's interesting that Chu is "winning?" Hands down here. I take everyone's point because my wife and feel the same way. She thinks Matt my have a deeply buried cute and cuddly side under the bluster. Chu is also more physically intimidating and that goes a long way, too. The guy who beat Matt is no box of chocolates either (I think I've lost hearing listening to him yell out the categories and responses) but I doubt he'll last long. He may have lost already but my wife and I are avid viewers and dvd the show and are a few days behind. Thanks for the posts.

The guy who beat Matt is no box of chocolates either (I think I've lost hearing listening to him yell out the categories and responses) but I doubt he'll last long.

One small correction: The guy who beat Matt was a very nice and soft-spoken fellow named Michael. He lost the next day to Josh! the shouter. I won't tell you what happened to him in case you haven't caught up yet.

Where the hell are they getting these people lately?

According to some inside info on the main thread (someone who was there the day Josh! auditioned), Maggie Speak, the contestant coordinator, quite enjoyed Josh! She admired that he was the first person she met who's louder than she is. So apparently she's partial to shouters. It's amazing there haven't been more of them.

• Love 1

If big personalities get more media attention for Jeopardy leading to more sponsorships leading to challengers getting more than a pittance, I'd be okay with it.  I just compare what people win as losers (non-winners?) on Wheel of Fortune and it makes me sad.

I'm a lot more sympathetic toward Arthur Chu now because I've read several articles by him. He not only writes well, but he takes positions I agree with and applaud.

He didn't bother me - there was one thing he did a lot that distracted me, but now I can't even remember what it was - so I was starting from a neutral opinion, but, yeah, I've enjoyed several of his articles.  It's important for men to call out sexism, and he seems to have a good grasp of things.

I thought he was in last year's TOC?

Yeah.  Arthur, Julia, and the other guy.  The other guy won.  (Ben.)