Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: We Are Grounders, Part I

(edited)

The more extensive press release info:

SHOULD WE STAY OR SHOULD WE GO - Clarke (Eliza Taylor) and Finn (Thomas McDonell) escape one dangerous situation only to find themselves faced with a new enemy. Bellamy (Bob Morley) makes a heroic move to save Jasper (Devon Bostick). Raven (Lindsey Morgan) faces a new danger, and Murphy (guest star Richard Harmon, "Bates Motel") finally gets his revenge. Meanwhile, those remaining on the Ark are coming to terms with the inevitable.

Finn is with the grounders and Clarke is hanging upside down from a tree -- so they must both escape in order to encounter this new enemy (probably the same Mountain Men that I think Monty encountered last episode).  So how do both Finn and Clarke both escape ?  And does Finn get stabbed again ?

Bellamy makes a heroic move save Jasper -- what does Jasper need to be saved from ?  I seriously doubt Bellamy goes above and beyond the call to save Jasper.  Jasper was MIA last episode supposedly out scouting for gunpowder ingredients (seriously ? Are there fresh veins of sulphur and potassium nitrate sprawled all over the place ? What is this, the 'Arena' episode of the original Star Trek ?)

Raven faces a new danger -- pregnancy ? small pox ? malware on the walkie-talkies ? Charlotte ?

Murphy finally gets his revenge -- revenge on whom exactly, he already killed one person for his banishment, is he going to kill Clarke and Bellamy as well ?

Meanwhile, those remaining on the Ark are coming to terms with the inevitable -- that with about 1000 dead from Diana Sydney's epic adventure in rebelliousness, there should be enough food and water for everyone remaining on the station.  But from the preview it looks the life support equipment is pooched and there is limited air on the station.  How these clowns managed to survive for 97 years without blowing themselves up before now amazes me ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

Murphy (guest star Richard Harmon, "Bates Motel") finally gets his revenge.

Yeah, I thought that Typhoid Murphy pretty much got his revenge when he unknowingly infected all of those people with hemorrhagic fever.  They tried to kill you, you nearly killed them (and did kill some of them).  Truce?

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh, I'm sure creepy Murphy was the one who burned down the smokehouse with all the meat. He probably blames everyone else in camp for the fact that he's a vicious little shit. He probably sabotages all their guns and leaves the gate wide open. That's his style.

ETA: They better not have killed off Lincoln. I spend each episode just waiting to catch a glimpse of his abs, fer pity's sake!

Edited by BungalowSummer
  • Love 2
(edited)

This episode felt like filler. It just dragged on and felt like a waste of time.

Jasper annoys me so I was fine with Murphy threatening to kill him. 

Now the whole hostage situation during an impending attack was a dumb idea. Why try to hang Bellamy when there are people on their way to kill him anyway. 

I'm bummed they're already planning on taking The Ark out of space. There's so much they can do with the society in space.

I was so happy Lincoln returned but so dissapointed he was risking his life for Finn and Clarke.

Why did Jasper go back in on the Bellamy rescue mission after just being held hostage?

Eliza's accent was heavily present in the last scene. Like she just dropped her neutral accent and started saying her lines in her real voice.

Edited by In2You

Now the whole hostage situation during and impending attack was a dumb idea. Why try to hang Bellamy when there are people on their way to kill him anyway.

Murphy was just dumb, while I understand his revenge, there are Grounders that are going to try and kill them all anyway so all he did was waste his time.

(edited)

We're all going to die in 51 hours -- please feel free to comtemplate your pending demise.

The Ark looks ok from the exterior shots -- everything is rotating, the green lights are back on in the agro areas (with plants and such that produce oxygen).  So what's the problem ?  

Chancellor Jaha: I'm releasing all the available resources to the surviving citizens of the Ark -- because releasing all those resources to the recently deceased citizens of the Ark just doesn't seem to make sense.

That area where Raven was setting the land mine sure had a lot of people tromping around by it during Bellamy's little speech.  Surprised no one set it off.

Clarke gets freed from the trap by Anya and crew -- who proceed to do nothing to her for killing that grounder and running away.  What were they waiting for ?

Tristan ?  Really ?  Sent by the Commander  -- oh yeah, that Tristan.  So, the grounders are a military unit ?

Of course, the grounder left behind by Anya et al helped save Clarke.  And of course Finn's not dead.  That mutated horse looked really cheaply made -- I felt sorry for the horse that had to wear it  Clarke sees that Finn is alive -- I'm surprised she didn't bone him right there (this is the CW after all). Turns out Lincoln saved them by killing one of his own -- because twu wuv prevails (or he just wants to keep tapping Octavia's ass, because there seems to be noticeable shortage of women amongst the grounders)

Where did Bellamy get all the little army men in the dropship ?  And Jasper came back with gunpowder fixins to make grenades and land mines, but apparently didn't find his sense of humour because he's still a gloomy gus.

Seriously, when did the red shirt that Murphy killed put the noose on Murphy's neck -- I think they are just making shit up for him to exact revenge on.  Seriously, if you re-watch Episode 4, there is no sign of that Miles kid anywhere in the gang that puts the noose around Murphy's neck (in fact, it was some other kid with really short dark hair that tied the noose, while 3 other guys held him down -- why isn't Murphy killing any of those guys ?). 

Lincoln, Finn and Clarke enter the grounder equivalent of the Mines of Moria -- complete with monsters (reapers, morlocks, cannibals, whatever they are).  Based on the position of the exit wound, it looks like Lincoln was hit in the kidney or intestines (but he will be fine, a little seaweed will fix him up later).  Was that supposed to be an old mining tunnel (from the rail tracks on the ground) ? I'm surprised they didn't find Monty in that bin in the mine.

Of course, the girl that Abby is operating on looks like Clarke, so that's why Abby was so gung ho to save her and then feels oh so guilty after the patient dies.

There were a lot of red shirts hanging around camp just standing there -- it's almost like they're extras or something with no direction whatsoever.  Like sheep.

Octavia -- the grounder-pounding little sister.  She really can't catch a break when it comes to nicknames.

Finn goes all Lady MacBeth (the blood won't come off).  Finn: I know I just killed a guy, but Clarke I wuv you.  And then Finn gets rejected and falls off the train on the way to pound town.

If the mine exit was close enough to dropship camp that Finn/Clarke could hear that explosion, why haven't the reapers been attacking and eating their way through the 100 ? 

I've seen Bellamy's speech defending staying put at camp before -- it was on an old episode of Star Trek: TNG where Data was tasked to convince some colonists to pack up and leave or be killed (my grandfather is buried on those hills ....).   Followed by "We're on the ground now, we are grounders" -- wow, the logic in that statement is just stunningly stupid.  Add in the fact it took him nearly two weeks on the ground to come up with it.  Why don't they just go to that shelter where they found the guns ?

How did Murphy shoot Raven -- she was under the dropship and would have been traumatized by the explosion ?  How did she crawl out in time to be shot by Murphy ?  Plus, there was no sound of a gunshot after the explosions (and they showed Murphy running away mere seconds later without the gun in his hand, plus why would he waste his lone bullet on Raven).  This show ... sometimes ....it's like the writers aren't even paying attention to what the hell they are throwing against the wall.

With no parachutes and no landing rockets, they are going to ride a section of the Ark down to the surface.  The plan is to pull a Diana Sydney, and of course they will land just downwind of Mt. Weather.  That has to be the stupidest idea in the history of stupid ideas in sci-fi tv shows.

In the preview, it appears they don't leave the camp before the grounders attack.  Big non-surprise there.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

Now the whole hostage situation during an impending attack was a dumb idea. Why try to hang Bellamy when there are people on their way to kill him anyway.

There is no situation so urgent, so dire that these kids can't drop everything for revenge, sex, or teen angst. Clarke and Finn are being chased by freakin' mutant cannibals, and Finn must stop dead in his tracks to tell Clarke that not only does he love her, but (woo-hoo!) he's in love with her. Meh. That's the curse of no chemistry, sweetie.

I was so happy Lincoln returned but so dissapointed he was risking his life for Finn and Clarke.

ITA. I had to laugh, though, when Clarke ran Lincoln through with the arrow and cauterized the wound while Lincoln was mocking them for their softness. Frankly, the women in this show are stronger than just about every male we've seen except Lincoln.

Bellamy has been actively trying to redeem himself, and he went a long way in this episode. The forced conflict between him and Clarke about whether to stay or go was ridiculous, though. Clarke runs into camp and demands everyone leave immediately? Take five minutes to tell people what you've seen and learned, idiot, and maybe you'll get buy-in from the others.

Jasper needs Monty to not be annoying. Where did Monty go?

Is it too much to hope for the Reapers (?) to get Murphy?

How does Jaha plan to keep that last 5% of the Ark intact when it hits the ground? And the people inside...?

• Love 1

Yeah Finn confessing his love to Clarke was just so stupid considering its only been a few weeks and they really haven't gotten time to know each other. He moved on mighty fast from the reliable girl he's known his whole life to the girl who let him bone after less than a week. Not all teens believe sex=love and Finn is acting like a lovesick girl which he shouldn't be after all they've been through recently.

Hopefully in season 2 they bring more of the remaining teens to the forefront as more than just redshirts. I'm tired of them just standing around like sheep. Someone needs to rise up and challenge Bellamy and Clarke's leadership. Maybe even break off into their own separate group.

Those scenes with the Reapers were so dimly lit I had a hard time making out what was going on.

• Love 2

Oh, Psycho Murphy.  You really pick the worst times and worst methods to get revenge on everyone.  Maybe you should wait until after the big pow-wow with the Grounders before going about your evil ways?  Or if you just have to do, maybe find less elaborate ways, instead of forcing Bellamy to hang himself, and taking your sweet-ass time doing so.  Of course, he still gets away, so I won't be surprised if this isn't the last of him.

I usually don't care for Clarke, but I totally loved her "Yeah, no!" response to Finn's love deceleration.  Finn is just such an annoying drip right now.  Right now, I'm finding him to be one of the more useless characters on this show.  But at least he ain't Jasper.  I have to respect Bellamy now for not letting his whining get to him.  Old Bellamy would have knocked him the fuck out, as soon as he started to complain.

So, now we're getting a whole bunch of different Grounders.  We've got this elite Grounder gang, that Dichen Lachman's character has to take orders from.  And we've got some kind of underground Grounders, that everyone hates.  And they might be cannibals?  Wasn't sure.  As for Lincoln, I doubt he's dead.  If they are going to kill him off, it's totally going to be in front of Octavia, so we can watch her sob and wail over it.

Good thing Jaha happened to be watching those family videos, in order to pull this last minute save out of their collective asses.  But I find it hard to believe that Kane or no one else, didn't think of that possibility or something similar to it.  Since it sounded like the idea came from her husband, I would have thought Abby would have known about it.  Whatever, I hope it works enough so at least one of them survives.  But I hope all three, since I still find Paige Turco, Henry Ian Cusick, and Isaiah Washington to be the best actors on this show.

When that guy was asking for water, I totally thought that Murphy was going to pee in his mouth.  I think that Murphy might be what we refer to as a "serial killer."  I was hoping that he would blow himself up, but no such luck. 

Darn, Finn's not dead.  I don't think that is the reaction that the writers are going for.  Yay, Lincoln is not dead...yet.  I hope that the Reapers don't eat him!  He's just so darn pretty that I want him to stay on this show.

I like how Kane asked, "Are we really going to do this?  Bring the Ark to the ground?"  Well, I suppose you could do nothing and just die but I think that I'd rather give myself at least a tiny chance.  Although, if they knew what was waiting for them on the ground, maybe the Ark people would just prefer to die in space.

"Reapers" or "Reavers" (Firefly), what's the diff?

When Clarke stopped to see who/what was under the sheet while they had a moment to run for their lives and potentially lead their people to safety--a moment Lincoln had probably paid for with his life (well, not really; but still...)--I realized she is infused with the Spirit of Kate from Lost.

(edited)

I will give the showrunners credit for nicely handling and switching between the three separate story lines during the episode : Clarke & Finn, The crippled Ark, and the 100 Camp of Malcontents. It moved the episode along quite effectively.
What happened in those story lines, however ... Ugh.  

The Ark story was mostly good, but their eureka idea seems pretty awful. I can't imagine them joining the teens anytime soon - that would change everything. I guess they could land them on the other side of the planet, but keeping them in space seems better. (To me.) 

When Finn and Clarke took a break from running for their lives,  so they could talk about their feelings ... I was hoping for one of those Grounder spears to come out of nowhere and impel one of them. 

Typhoid Murphy is a psycho, but he had a point with re-creating Bellamy's attempt to hang him. Bellamy is sort of a cowardly lion in terms of leadership -- he wants to control the angry teen mob, but also fears them -- like when he actually ran from them with Charlotte, the little killer girl. He has the same do-what-I-say attitude with Octavia, but it's usually hypocritical or just plain wrong. 

But overall, it's a train wreck I look forward to watching each week.  

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1

So is Tristan one of the Mountain Men that's so pissed off?  And where the hell is Monty?!

Bellamy has come a long way, and he's finally got handle on the leadership business.  If I were in the camp I'd stay and fight - Clarke hasn't told anyone about the cannibals yet, otherwise I'd probably run too. So are they staying or going?  You can't (Clarke) tell someone you agree with them, but then actually disagree in your big speech moment - that was stupid.  Explain yourself!

They are not as scary.

As soon as they said Reapers I had a flash of watching Firefly and thinking of the terror I felt when someone mentioned Reavers at the bank. There was no terror this time. The difference is Firefly had the writing and the acting to back up the “OMG I rather shoot myself than see they things” while The 100 doesn’t.

(edited)

Seriously, when did the red shirt that Murphy killed put the noose on Murphy's neck -- I think they are just making shit up for him to exact revenge on.  Seriously, if you re-watch Episode 4, there is no sign of that Miles kid anywhere in the gang that puts the noose around Murphy's neck (in fact, it was some other kid with really short dark hair that tied the noose, while 3 other guys held him down -- why isn't Murphy killing any of those guys ?).

He didn't say that he put the noose around his neck -- he said he was the one who tied the noose or tied the knot for the noose. I, personally, think he's just looking for an excuse to kill anyone and everyone... and hopes that whoever's left will just blindly follow him.

How did Murphy shoot Raven -- she was under the dropship and would have been traumatized by the explosion ?  How did she crawl out in time to be shot by Murphy ?  Plus, there was no sound of a gunshot after the explosions (and they showed Murphy running away mere seconds later without the gun in his hand, plus why would he waste his lone bullet on Raven).  This show ... sometimes ....it's like the writers aren't even paying attention to what the hell they are throwing against the wall.

Actually, no, Raven was shot once Murphy heard her squeal (after she caused the spark) -- he started shooting randomly through the floor until his gun jammed or he ran out of bullets (I couldn't tell which). I fully expected her to be found dead under the ship once they realized she never came back out. Glad she's still hanging in.

So glad to see Lincoln. His abs are my favorite part of the show.

I'm wondering if they'll ever go into the Grounders'/Factions' backstories. I feel like that could be a heck of a lot more interesting then the 100's love triangles and power grabs.

Edited by marcee
  • Love 1
(edited)
Actually, no, Raven was shot once Murphy heard her squeal (after she caused the spark) -- he started shooting randomly through the floor until his gun jammed or he ran out of bullets (I couldn't tell which). I fully expected her to be found dead under the ship once they realized she never came back out. Glad she's still hanging in.

That's probably what the writers intended -- but I don't buy it.  Aside from the fact that the floor of the dropship is probably a really thick piece of metal (to contain an atmosphere from the vacuum outside the ship when in space, and act as a wall between the passengers and the rocket equipment located below), how did Murphy manage to avoid shooting that rather large pipe packed full of rocket fuel (the Chekov's gun of the episode so kindly pointed out by Raven, so you know it will come into play in Part 2 to save the day) ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
(edited)
Typhoid Murphy is a psycho, but he had a point with re-creating Bellamy's attempt to hang him. Bellamy is sort of a cowardly lion in terms of leadership -- he wants to control the angry teen mob, but also fears them -- like when he actually ran from them with Charlotte, the little killer girl. He has the same do-what-I-say attitude with Octavia, but it's usually hypocritical or just plain wrong.

In an odd way, Murphy is kind of a sympathetic figure.

I don't blame Murphy for wanting justice against Bellamy. What Bellamy and Clarke did to him was despicable. Clarke made the false accusation that riled up the crowd to hang him, and Bellamy let it all happen. And then Bellamy and Clarke added insult to injury by banishing Murphy, when all Murphy wanted was to mete out justice to the real murderer.

I don't believe we've seen either Bellamy nor Clarke, without a gun being pointed at him/her, bother to apologize for what they did to Murphy after he came back to camp.

From the time the 100 landed until he was banished, Murphy was, for the most part, merely doing the bidding of Bellamy. He was Bellamy's enforcer, his hatchet man. They're both thugs. Yet it is only Murphy who would wound up being considered a villain.

I hope this is not the last we see of Murphy.

Edited by spritz
  • Love 5

I must be nuts, because I just rewatched this episode. Okay, I watched for Lincoln's abs and soulful self-sacrifice, but still...

A few things struck me. If I were a grounder, I'd want to slaughter every one of these stupid, hoggish invaders, too. From the grounder viewpoint, The 100 are the descendants of the privileged few who were able to get off the planet in the middle of a nuclear holocaust while my folks had to survive untold horrors. And now they're back, depleting the local resources and probably ruining a fragile ecology that the grounders have painfully adapted to in order to survive. Then you've got Bellamy making speeches about being a grounder? That takes balls.

I'd like to know a lot more about the grounders. I find them more interesting than a bunch of people (above and below) who essentially grew up in an orbiting greenhouse. I'd also like to know why it's so urgent (beyond reasons of vengeance) to make a risky assault on the 100 camp. Wouldn't it be easier to be patient and pick them off, one by one? The grounders are certainly superior in using guerrilla tactics. The 100 (or 83 or so) couldn't stay behind their wall forever, and when they emerge -- Thwap!

As for suspending disbelief, I'm willing to play along to see what happens next.

(edited)

They are not as scary.

As soon as they said Reapers I had a flash of watching Firefly and thinking of the terror I felt when someone mentioned Reavers at the bank. There was no terror this time. The difference is Firefly had the writing and the acting to back up the “OMG I rather shoot myself than see they things” while The 100 doesn’t.

and then...:

Alex can no longer suspend his disbelief with this shteez.:

My first job will be to figure out who recently watched Firefly and decided it would be a good idea to call the horde of primal, super-violent Grounders “Reapers” —

So, we agree. "Reapers" was an attempt to cash in on Firefly love, right? Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

Rewatched those scenes to try and figure out how Raven got shot. Did they forget there were highly flammable fuels lining where she was standing? I'm surprised she didnt explode. Ugh and Jasper was so annoying. All he did was spout crap about shooting and bombs while she was actually trying to rescue Bellamy.

(edited)

I think my favorite part about this episode is that half of it took place around a homemade water tank.  See, EPs/editors!?!  This is helpful shit.  Last week, you gave us a glimpse into how they are getting food. This week we got a glimpse into how they aren't dying of thirst.  Maybe next week you can who us the machine that gets them from one mountain to the next in the blink of an eye.  Is The Flash an Arkteen?  Or Quicksilver?

Poor Raven.  No one cares about her.  Not one person thought to check on Raven after the hostage situation ended.  They aren't even allowing Dr. Clarke, Medicine Woman to use her magic healing hands on her.  I hope Murphy kills them all!

So, I'm calling it now.  The end of the season will see a return to the 100.  50 Arkteens and 50 Arkdults.  Next season will be 50 Arkfolks and 50 Grounders.  The season after that will probably be 100 babies.  

Edited by SystemRemote
  • Love 3

Lincoln and his abs better survive the mine-dwelling Reapers or I'm not going to be a happy camper.  At this point, Lincoln sightings are basically the sole reason I'm still watching.  I'd like to thank Anya for shooting that arrow and necessitating a quick shirt-lift for medical reasons.  Much appreciated. 

The show has stopped making sense to me at this point.  I agree with Anya that the 100 are invaders, a risk to whatever hierarchy exists in the area and a threat to the local resources.  I agree with Lincoln in that Anya's just being mean now.  The 100 are reducing themselves, are out-of-their depth but might make useful cannon fodder in whatever war she's got going on.  She'd be smarter to co-opt them and boost her own numbers.  I agree with the 100 in that they're there now and need to be accepted.  What's the alternative?  There is absolutely no reason that the Grounders can't mow these teenagers down for pastime.  I had no idea Anya's group was basically a military unit; they seriously couldn't sit in trees and use their arrows to snipe at the teenagers, picking them off individually and locking the survivors into the compound until they starve/dehydrate?  Either finish them off or open negotiations.  The status quo just looks stupid at this point.  No wonder Anya's superior officer got bored of waiting. 

I think my main source of dissatisfaction with the show is my failure to invest in any of the 100.  I don't care if any of these kids survive.  I do, on the other hand, like the Grounders, and I'm curious about their civilization and their survival.  If I was watching that show, I think I'd be happier. 

• Love 1

It sure seemed like the Grounders were trying hard not to take them out at the beginning.  It was like they were warning them not to come in their territory, and once the things happened that Anya pointed out they took it as an act of war.

I too like the Grounders better than the 100 - 12 or whatever count they are on now.

The show has stopped making sense to me at this point.  I agree with Anya that the 100 are invaders, a risk to whatever hierarchy exists in the area and a threat to the local resources.  I agree with Lincoln in that Anya's just being mean now.

It's just sloppy writing. They both should have been curious about the other group and both should have asked a ton of questions including where the 100 came from and how the grounder survived.

• Love 2

I agree, the grounders make no sense, in that since they're engaged in hostilities against other tribes (Reapers and Mountain Men, whoever they are), it would have made far more sense for them to make peace and pull the 100 into their tribe. The 100 are young, stupid, healthy, and have access to some good tech. Emphasis on YOUNG, as in maleable. Very short-sighted to just kill them off.

Clarke needed to ask, when she saw how warrior-minded they were last episode, WHO ARE YOU FIGHTING? They didn't rack up all those scars killing their own tribemates. Because then she could have proposed the whole enemy of my enemy is my friend thing, and sought a truce based on mutual benefit. What a concept.