Type keyword(s) to search

Bethenny & Jason: The Divorce Showdown

• Start Topic

My parents both would have told you they shouldn't have married each other.  They would tell anyone but myself and my siblings that they regretted marrying each other (obviously, they'd only tell their children "How could we regret it, we got you?").  However, I am quite confident that had you asked them while they were married (prior to separation), they would have been all in and had nothing but great things to say about each other and were totally happy with the fact that they were married to each other.  Perspectives about that sort of thing change.  I have no reason to doubt that they loved each other when they were married, and prior to that, even.  I absolutely remember how much they hated each other after the fact.  My mother still has no use for my father, to this day, and he is dead, so, B writing in a book during the marriage that she was thrilled with Jason but then later having regrets?  Not really a contradiction or a lie to me.  

Yeah, like does anyone here watch Little People Big World? The reality show about a married dwarf couple where for years they were "Oh we're so married!" and "Yes we fight but we love each other!" and "Our marriage isn't like other reality show marriages, divorce isn't an option" - there's even a book on this. And then bam, they get divorced and suddenly no one was happy and all those years where they were talking about their awesome marriage, they were miserable and unhappy. So I can buy it.

I'm just not overwhelmed with sympathy over it because Bethenny wasn't forced to marry. She might have felt pressured but that's not the same thing as forced.

• Love 8
(edited)
54 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Of course. I certainly have. But sometimes people change their opinions about one person based primarily on who they hang with and call their friends. Even if they are basically the same person. 

And it is also correct in B's case. She thought that she would be happy with the Hoppy's and then she started to hang out with J-Lo and all the big dogs.

She then figured out that what she thought would make her happy really wasn't so.

It happens.

She was always the same B. 

Edited by LIMOM
  • Love 5

And it is also correct in B's case. She thought that she would be happy with the Hoppy's and then she started to hang out with J-Lo and all the big dogs.

She then figured out that what she thought would make her happy really wasn't so.

She found out that Jason was an asshole? And that being in a relationship with him wouldn't make her happy in the long run?

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, BBHN said:

She found out that Jason was an asshole? And that being in a relationship with him wouldn't make her happy in the long run?

I am going to go with this one.

When she wrote that book, she was basically in that new mother of a first baby-new marriage blissed out state I'd say.  I think she'd be a difficult person to be married to, but so would Jason, and once that bliss wore off, she saw what was left and didn't like it.

I believe her when she said she had apprehensions about the marriage, but went on with it anyway. So did the Princess of Wales, and when she told her sister she didn't want to marry Charles, her sister said something like, "Your face is already on the tea towels". People feel and succumb to pressures every day. I'd bet in many marriages that fail quickly, the bride would say something similar after the fact, but when she's doing it, she tells everyone she's in luhvre. Even in those that work, people still have some doubt. I don't find any of that disingenuous.

Plus I get the impression that Bethenny is a person who tends to speak from her emotional state at the time she is speaking. Not everyone does that, some people are more careful and measured about what they say, so when they say something, they have thought about it carefully before they say it. They are more tempered about their emotions and do not blurt something out just because the thought crosses their mind.  She seems more impulsive and says what she feels when she feels it. That gets her in trouble with people who don't understand that way of being, I think.

• Love 12
17 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Speaking of being arrested (and such), I wonder how long before for the Griftin' Granny (and her traveling stamp!) will be dragged into court for what she tried to pull.  Sorry, "allegedly" tried to pull. 

How long has Beth's lawsuit against those lawyers been going on?  I wonder if there have been any depositions yet.  That is when she will get the ammo she needs to haul Old Lady Hoppy into court.  

I shudder to think how Jason would react if that day ever really arrives.  Bethenny is going to need a fleet of bodyguards...

I shudder, too! 

He dragged that divorce out for FOUR YEARS  to prove he has control. When the divorce was final he tried to control her with emails, texts and when that didn't work,  he showed up a Bryn's school. NOW, he is trying to control the court case with delays. I don't think he's  going to stop. It's damn scary!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, Martinigirl said:

I shudder, too! 

He dragged that divorce out for FOUR YEARS  to prove he has control. When the divorce was final he tried to control her with emails, texts and when that didn't work,  he showed up a Bryn's school. NOW, he is trying to control the court case with delays. I don't think he's  going to stop. It's damn scary!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the reporting on this last appearance was fascinating as well.  Someone (Hoppy) gave RO the information that the prosecution still had discovery to turn over and the trial was delayed.  True statement.  Someone else (Bethenny) told PageSix that the judge had refused Hoppy's petition for dismissal and the prosecution had added two additional charges.  True statement.

That's how they play the game.

• Love 9
42 minutes ago, Jel said:

When she wrote that book, she was basically in that new mother of a first baby-new marriage blissed out state I'd say.  I think she'd be a difficult person to be married to, but so would Jason, and once that bliss wore off, she saw what was left and didn't like it.

I believe her when she said she had apprehensions about the marriage, but went on with it anyway. So did the Princess of Wales, and when she told her sister she didn't want to marry Charles, her sister said something like, "Your face is already on the tea towels". People feel and succumb to pressures every day. I'd bet in many marriages that fail quickly, the bride would say something similar after the fact, but when she's doing it, she tells everyone she's in luhvre. Even in those that work, people still have some doubt. I don't find any of that disingenuous.

Plus I get the impression that Bethenny is a person who tends to speak from her emotional state at the time she is speaking. Not everyone does that, some people are more careful and measured about what they say, so when they say something, they have thought about it carefully before they say it. They are more tempered about their emotions and do not blurt something out just because the thought crosses their mind.  She seems more impulsive and says what she feels when she feels it. That gets her in trouble with people who don't understand that way of being, I think.

Perfection. 

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

I thought the reporting on this last appearance was fascinating as well.  Someone (Hoppy) gave RO the information that the prosecution still had discovery to turn over and the trial was delayed.  True statement.  Someone else (Bethenny) told PageSix that the judge had refused Hoppy's petition for dismissal and the prosecution had added two additional charges.  True statement.

That's how they play the game.

When he stated (insisted) that he speak and deal with her directly is a control tactic abusive people use to manipulate. All the signs are there. He seems very unstable (imo)

• Love 12
10 hours ago, BBHN said:

Loooooooooooooool

I'm sure even she has people who genuinely like her.

He wanted access to her money and lifestyle it provided without having to do too much for it. Ride that gravy train, Jason! Ride it good!

...oh wait. Too late for that.

Maybe the Hoppys are related to Luann's pirate hook-up? ;)

It is possible that he is just a bitter asshole.

A bitter asshole who has lost control and the money. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Jel said:

Bethenny co-wrote the book, and it was subject to editing.  The book was released a year after she married.  It isn't as if it was a post orgasm tweet when she made the claims about Jason and the same can be said for her acknowledgements in previous books about Jason.  These were written, reviewed and edited comments. 

Bethenny, the ever present guardian of her brand, is okay to say something deeply personal if it advances the sales of her book?  As readers and viewers of Bethenny she gets a pass because she tends to speak (and write)emotionally and is impulsive?  When she looks bad or is contradictory there is a built in defense and writing off the comments as emotional and impulsive?  Shouldn't Jason be allowed the same leeway for his e-mails, that he was emotional and impulsive?

Seems to me Betenny has no issue going after people who waffle in their position about things, calling them hypocrites and worse.  My gosh I remember a huge scene and repetitive bashing of Luann for her book, which was written before she and Alex filed for divorce.  Bethenny still brings it up, Luann writing an etiquette book.  Of course made no sense to me at the time Bethenny made the allegations and still makes no sense..  Hhow is it Bethenny gets a pass on her "Place of Yes" book?  When she really wasn't coming from a place of yes-she was just selling some bullshit dime store psycho babble.

I always saw the turning point about Bethenny's feelings for Jason taking a turn when she became concerned he was the nice guy personality to her neurotic personality.  I watched the first two seasons, enjoying it for the most part.  The people Bethenny used as props to show her impulsive , whacky personality always seemed very, very fake and forced.  The scenes with she and Jason seemed genuine.  As did the scenes about building  her Skinnygirl Margarita brand.  I mean we the viewers didn't know at the time she was contractually tied to a contract with her partner where she was to market the brand on her TV show.   

Bringing it forward to 2017, it kind of seems that one Dennis Shields, the wildly successful banker and usury lender, decided to checkout of neurotic, victim Bethenny.  Maybe it was just one too many emotional comments or maybe Dennis did not want to be relegated to the Jason treatment.  At some point Dennis had to see how Bethenny was treating the father of her child.  Dennis as a father of five may have had a wake up call and just moved on.  It is interesting have we even heard Dennis speak?  Been six months since the break up and not a peep out of Dennis-maybe he is more like Jason than Bethenny.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Shouldn't Jason be allowed the same leeway for his e-mails, that he was emotional and impulsive?

One or two emails could be considered emotional and impulsive. 160 of them, some sent after receiving a C&D, is apparently considered harassing according to the state of NY. 

30 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Been six months since the break up and not a peep out of Dennis-maybe he is more like Jason than Bethenny.

I am thinking he is not a lot like Jason. 

• Love 9

One or two emails could be considered emotional and impulsive. 160 of them, some sent after receiving a C&D, is apparently considered harassing according to the state of NY. 

Jason is stalkeriffic!

Good for Bethenny. One stalker who is into harassment is enough.

Maybe Dennis saw something in Jason that scared him off? Better safe than sorry. 

Yeah, better not take chances with the The Hoppy.

• Love 5
(edited)

The problem with "letting it go" is that there is a child involved that is a continual point of conflict. Bethenny is a petty and vindictive person. You see that in every episode in her interactions with her fellow Housewives. Especially Luann. I have no doubt that she is petty and passive aggressive in  her interactions regarding their daughter. When she didn't get her way in moving out of state to deny her ex his parental rights I am sure she did everything she could to make it hard for Jason and his family to have a "normal" relationship with his child.

It will come down to the courts to solve this. Neither of them can act as reasonable rationale adults.

To exempt Bethenny and put all of the blame on Jason is just not dealing with the reality of the situation.

Edited by the killer
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, Martinigirl said:

Jason is the one responsible for his documented behavior.

That is correct. It needs to be documented in a court of law. Under oath and the rules of evidence. Nobody will take Bethenny's word for it. Nobody will take the word of the Fake News tabloids like Page Six.

Lets see what happens when they are forced to provide discovery as the judge ordered.

• Love 6

Which have to be adjudicated under the rules of evidence and not on the internet or in the tabloids.

Piling on charges to intimidate and coerce defendants into taking a plea is the most common tactic used by prosecutors with a shaky case. If these additional counts were so egregious it stands to reason they would have been part of the original charge.

Adding charges is not proof of anything. They have too provide proof. Provide discovery of what evidence they have. So far the judge had to order that they do so. Why are they withholding it to the point that they have to be forced by the judge to provide it?

We have to see what happens in the light of day under oath and not in the fevered imagination of the Fake News Writers on Page Six and the Daily Mail.

• Love 6
On 7/4/2017 at 6:25 AM, WireWrap said:

Well, he already admitted to hitting Bernadette on the show 2 years/seasons ago. Again, I do think she had a tough/rough childhood but I also believe she greatly exaggerated it for sympathy on the show. She uses it so that viewers give her a pass on her ugly behavior and now she is using her divorce/shared custody as her excuse.

I think she is smarter than this.  Besides it clearly isn't working.  I like her but I think she makes excuses for nothing.  Like her don't like her I don't think she cares enough about anyone's opinion to make shit up.  

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Martinigirl said:

Asking for additional proof is also a way to delay the GUILTY verdict. just sayin'

He didn't ask for anything extra, just what the prosecution already had and what they should have already turned over to the defense. It is the prosecutor that is dragging their heels, delaying the case, not Jason's lawyer.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Martinigirl said:

Jason is the one responsible for his documented behavior.  

Bethenny is also responsible for her words and behavior unless of course she has second thoughts, didn't want to lose a chance at a spin off, was emotional or speaks in exaggerated terms that are somehow suppose to be a substitute for the truth and veracity of the situation because that is just who she is.

Jason documented behavior also has to rise to a level that a jury finds is unlawful.  I don't think one should keep e-mailing someone who doesn't want the e-mails but I don't know if it rises to he did not have a lawful purpose for doing so and the reason for the e-mails.  Obviously just to piss her off would not be acceptable. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, motorcitymom65 said:

On the contrary, he is a jerk as well, but a jerk with money.

B needs to see people for what they are.

She dates jerks, it turns her on.

And then, she realizes that jerks act jerky.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, LIMOM said:

B needs to see people for what they are.

She dates jerks, it turns her on.

And then, she realizes that jerks act jerky.

Does anyone know enough about him to say he is a jerk?

• Love 6
(edited)

Bethenny is also responsible for her words and behavior unless of course she has second thoughts, didn't want to lose a chance at a spin off, was emotional or speaks in exaggerated terms that are somehow suppose to be a substitute for the truth and veracity of the situation because that is just who she is.

Except Bethenny wasn't the one who was arrested. Nor is she the one on trial here.

Asking for additional proof is also a way to delay the GUILTY verdict. just sayin'

Delay long enough and hope for a Hail Mary play.

At least he wasn't arrested for stalking and harassment...

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

He didn't ask for anything extra, just what the prosecution already had and what they should have already turned over to the defense. It is the prosecutor that is dragging their heels, delaying the case, not Jason's lawyer.

I do think there is a bit of prosecutorial delay.  Given the original plea agreement was turned down I am wondering if the prosecution is having a difficult time disposing of the case because the victim is asking for certain concessions.

I don't know if Bethenny wants Jason incarcerated and even if convicted I don't really see that happening due to his lack of a criminal record.  I do believe she wants a permanent restraining order and used this prosecution as a way to get one.  A hearing in civil/family court may not have resulted in even a TRO.  If all Bethenny wants is a permanent restraining order and Jason's side won't budge perhaps the prosecution decided to up the ante.  I don't believe Shields cares if he has a protective order as he is out of the picture.  I don't think anyone cares about Anger Management classes.  That is just a formality and inconvenience to the defendant.

I can see where Bethenny wants peace of mind and I also believe she never wants to be the bad guy in her daughter's eyes and trying to put daddy in jail is not going to sit well.  And yes it is Bethenny, as she is the complaining witness.  Without her going to the police the DA would not have a case.  It is not as if Jason got arrested at the school for his alleged behavior it was Bethenny driven.  She is well within her rights to do so but after doing so she can't shift the responsibility elsewhere. She was driving the bus.  As discussed on this very thread Bethenny is emotional and impulsive and what her feelings were on the 27th of January and the days immediately following, especially during filming may have subsided or changed.  The break up with Dennis may have influence on her decision.  Or worst case scenario if Bryn is called  to testify. 

The other side is because of the celebrity in this case the prosecution may not want to be seen as part of a reality TV stars narrative and regardless of what Bethenny wants they are going forward so as not to appear as some puppet in a reality TV storyline. 

• Love 6

Jason Hoppy was arrested on January 27, 2017

His criminal defense attorney, Robert Gottlieb released a statement “There are no words to express how saddened Mr. Hoppy is over his ex-wife’s unjustified actions. His only concern is his daughter and intends to vigorously fight these false charges”

Robert Gottlieb dumped the case and dropped Jason Hoppy as his client.

At Jason’s arraignment, he appeared in court with new criminal defense attorney, Alex Spiro. Jason was handed the restraining order and ordered to stay away from Bethenny Frankel. Court date was set for March 13.

March 13th trial date gets pushed out to June 27th.

June 27th, Alex Spiro files motion to dismiss the case and is denied. Jason receives additional charges and the restraining order is extended. Trial date is moved to August 6th

aAlex Spiro requests discovery as a delay tactic and also because Jason can’t Remembery and also he tried deleting all of the text messages and emails from his account

Alex Spiro was just in court on June 27th. He had Matt Barnes plea down to community service. He’s also a bit busy with his client Thomas Gilbert Jr.

29EFA38400000578-3138321-image-a-12_1435

Alex Spiro is super expensive – so I’m thinking on August 6th, Jason will have another lawyer who files a motion to move the trial date again so that he can review the evidence and prepare for court.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

My opinion is based on the fact he is married guy with five children and involved himself with a public person, played up to the cameras with the engagement ring and  her child in tow looking at houses.  Second one, is when Andy asked what Dennis thought of his Bethenny's tirade on Luannn in the Berkshires. Bethenny responded he thought it was funny.  That is a jerk. That he would allow even his adult children to participate (he should have been the one on the phone not his kid) at the Reunion.  Most of all he is usury lender who preys on people who are involved in litigation.  Even Congress is looking into his kind of ilk.

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Pardon me. 

Imo, Dennis is a jerk. 

I would bet 5 bucks that his wife would agree.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Wendy said:

"if you are going to tell a story, tell the whole story and Bethenny does not." - quoting Wirewrap 

Tinsley when talking about her divorce never talks about how the divorce was because she cheated on her husband Topper.  She also never mentions that the only reason why she got arrested was that she broke the law by violating a RO

Luann, when she talked about her marriage with the Count, failed to disclose that they had an open marriage. She also "forgets" to mention that her relationship with Jacques ended because she cheated on him with the pirate. 

Sonja when talking about her financial woes always "forgets" to mention that most of her problems started when she tried to weasel her way out of a legal contract. 

Carole when she talks about her wonderful friend Carolyn, she always forgets to mention the rumors of Carolyn's addictions. 

Dorinda conveniently forgets to mention that her relationship with John started only 4 months after Richard "the love of her life" died. She also never talked about that slimy guy trying to get her on the Tipsy Girl deal, 

Ramona refused to talk about cheating allegations while she was married to Mario, She also never mentioned that she was the most interested in closing the deal with the guy from Tipsy girl.  She has never mentioned a word about her Pinot Grigio wine being out of production. 

When it comes to telling their story, ALL of the Bravo HWs. not only NY but all of them are very selective with what they want to share, it is not only Bethenny, it is all of them. 

tumblr_mgnfjjz5OS1rul0hko1_500.gif

• Love 12
38 minutes ago, KungFuBunny said:

His criminal defense attorney, Robert Gottlieb released a statement “There are no words to express how saddened Mr. Hoppy is over his ex-wife’s unjustified actions. His only concern is his daughter and intends to vigorously fight these false charges”

At Jason’s arraignment, he appeared in court with new criminal defense attorney, Alex Spiro. Jason was handed the restraining order and ordered to stay away from Bethenny Frankel. Court date was set for March 13.

June 27th, Alex Spiro files motion to dismiss the case and is denied. Jason receives additional charges and the restraining order is extended. Trial date is moved to August 6th

aAlex Spiro requests discovery as a delay tactic and also because Jason can’t Remembery and also he tried deleting all of the text messages and emails from his account

Alex Spiro was just in court on June 27th. He had Matt Barnes plea down to community service. He’s also a bit busy with his client Thomas Gilbert Jr.

Alex Spiro is super expensive – so I’m thinking on August 6th, Jason will have another lawyer who files a motion to move the trial date again so that he can review the evidence and prepare for court.

Both of these send up red flags as guilty (imo)

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, KungFuBunny said:

First off Gottlieb was never Jason's attorney of record, that would be Alex Spiro who made the initial and all subsequent appearances on Jason's behalf.  It is not uncommon for an attorney to make a statement on the defendant's behalf and not be retained.  Maybe it was a simple as Jason could not afford him.  There is no indication Gottlieb dumped Jason he might have in fact referred him to Spiro.

The prosecution is required to turn over all discovery.  Since there were new charges filed that day, the prosecution would most likely not have delivered discovery before they filed and arraigned on the charges:  http://ypdcrime.com/cpl/article240.htm#c240.20

Was there ever any indication that a search warrant was issued for Jason's phone or computer?  Jason has every right to delete anything he wants from his phone or computer.  If the prosecution wanted those instruments they would have had to apply for a search warrant, executed it and seized the phone and computer. Probably done at the same time as his arrest. The case is predicated on the volumes of e-mail Bethenny presented the police and a statement as to what transpired at the school.  This isn't a delay tactic and quite frankly I don't think the prosecution was caught off guard as their star witness was filming "Shark Tank" in California. 

Criminal attorneys generally cannot just bail because their client can't afford them.  There is a process and it has to be approved by the court.  Spiro would have to make a motion before the Court and the prosecution has a right to weigh in and there would have to be statutory notice given.  This is a bunch of misdemeanors I don't see it being all that big a deal for an experienced criminal defense attorney .

The next court appearance for Thomas Gilbert Jr, is August 16, 2017, and that is an appearance regarding Gilbert's ability to stand trial. Gilbert has not been cooperating with the prosecution and doctors in  mental status evaluation so this is an update to see if he is competent or maybe even if he cooperated.  There has been no trial date set.  Attorneys big and small generally have a number of cases they are working on at a time.  If a trial runs over the Court simply has a recess for the attorney to attend the other hearing (if it is brief),or  the law firm sends someone else or the hearing is continued.  Courts like to keep the jury happy and keep delays to a minimum.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, KungFuBunny said:

Thanks for keeping it short and simple and to the point. :)

Edited by Martinigirl
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Martinigirl said:

Both of these send up red flags as guilty (imo)

Yep.

The good thing about having Alex Spiro as his criminal defense attorney is that Mr Spiro can probably get a 2 for 1 psyche evaluation.

Thomas Gilbert Jr and Jason DoucHoppy separated at birth

• Love 5
15 hours ago, BBHN said:

His being there at the school really shouldn't be used to justify nor excuse Jason's behavior.

Hey, come on!  Everybody knows it's the woman's fault in these situations.  Beth should have tip toed around Jason, made sure he never saw a man by her side, made sure not to set him off by email or text, acquiesced to his every demand.  She should have handled him gently and carefully.  It's in Bryn's best interest to witness a doormat role model, who takes harassment and abuse and never says a word - to protect the children.

Just like Tinsley is at fault for staying with her abuser, violating a restraining order multiple times, asking to be abused instead of walking away and filing charges against him.  She should have remained silent after he abused her, and handled him gently, tried harder not to set him off.  

I mean it's been that way since the stone ages. How could it be wrong?

• Love 13
6 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

Bethenny co-wrote the book, and it was subject to editing.  The book was released a year after she married.  It isn't as if it was a post orgasm tweet when she made the claims about Jason and the same can be said for her acknowledgements in previous books about Jason.  These were written, reviewed and edited comments. 

Not everyone can figure it all out on the honeymoon and dump hubby#1 for hubby #2, a la Jessica Seinfeld. 

• Love 7
On 7/4/2017 at 2:10 PM, film noire said:

I think she made the facts of her life sound worse, not the emotional state she was forced to live in ("forced" because she was a child and without options).  I don't think the things Frankel did made him a good father, but he also wasn't a deadbeat dad who walked away without a second thought. If she'd said "Living with him made me feel even more alone" or "So he walked me down the aisle, big fucking deal - here comes the bride and her emotionally distant father" or "He sent a ticket instead of coming himself" or  "My mother was a stone cold drunk -- birthday parties by Betty Crocked" -- that gives me both fact & feeling -- but why leave the audience with the impression that you never saw your bio father, and your life was so devoid of structure that your never had a single childhood event?  That's why she's an unreliable narrator for me now - and I understand lots of people aren't bothered by any of it, but I find it  -- and what I see as a larger pattern of deception -- troublesome,

I don't think I argued he was involved --  if I did, sorry, that was lack of clarity on my part -- I think I said he didn't disappear without a backwards glance. More a case of deadbeat dad vs deeply disconnected dad.

****************changing gears briefly***************

Happy 4th of July, you glorious bastards! 

This all seems to be predicated on the idea that Bethenny said that her father walked out and abandoned her "without a backwards glance"...but is that really what she said?  Just because maybe you might not have heard about Bethenny living with her dad for a year after he left her mother, it doesn't mean that Bethenny withheld this info.  In fact, here is an article in People Magazine from seven years ago that tells that exact story.

“I never had a true childhood,” Frankel says, sitting barefoot on the sofa in her roomy downtown apartment after nursing Bryn and settling her down for a nap. “There was a lot of destruction: alcohol abuse, eating disorders and violent fights,” she says. The only child of legendary horse trainer Bobby Frankel and his first wife, Bernadette, Frankel was 4 years old when her father walked out, leaving her with a mother who was “extremely volatile. She was never a mother to me.” She temporarily moved with her father to Los Angeles, but Bobby Frankel “lived a very hotshot life-drugs, young girls,” she recalls. “It wasn’t a life for a little girl. I never watched cartoons. I was always at restaurants or the racetrack.”

After her mother married another horse trainer, John Parisella, Frankel returned to New York at age 5 and moved at least seven times over the next 10 years. Though she occasionally visited her father, he cut her off when her mother accused him of withholding money. “He said, ‘I’m washing my hands of the whole situation,'” Frankel recalls bitterly."  http://people.com/archive/cover-story-bethenny-frankel-love-saved-my-life-vol-73-no-28/

Could it be that Bethenny told the story, but not everyone heard it??

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, shoegal said:

In fact, here is an article in People Magazine from seven years ago that tells that exact story.

Oh,  I don't think she's been fronting this for the last seven+ years   --  her book was published six years ago, about (iirc) eight or nine months after this interview (early/late spring of 2011).

Could it be that Bethenny told the story, but not everyone heard it??

Absolutely possible -- I didn't see it -- but I still think she misled viewers for quite a while into thinking her bio father was a non-presence in her life.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Everything in the above mentioned article makes me think her bio-father was a non presence in her life.

Except he paid for a lot of stuff. Allegedly.

It is hard to determine what is true and what is false Bethenny's story.

I think it is safe to say that she had a troubled relationship with her father.

Something she wants to pass on to her daughter.

She's a peach.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, film noire said:

Absolutely possible -- I didn't see it -- but I still think she misled viewers for quite a while into thinking her bio father was a non-presence in her life.

It sounds like to me that she said from the beginning that he wasn't a presence in her life, she said years later that he wasn't a presence in her life, and she says now that he wasn't a presence in her life. It sounds like she has always been pretty consistent about this. It's just that others don't think that what she calls a non-presence is exactly that. They think a year or two here or there negates what she is saying. Or the fact that he paid for stuff. People just don't like what she is calling it (IMO) or the way she expressed it, which is different from her not ever saying it. 

• Love 8
(edited)
16 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Everything in the above mentioned article makes me think her bio-father was a non presence in her life.

I meant actually not present  -- no living with him, no visiting him occasionally, no contact -- not an emotional non-presence, an actual non-presence. 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2