Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Snow Falls

• Start Topic

Mary Margaret is astonished at the outcome after she reads to John Doe from the storybook while visiting him at the hospital. Back in fairytale world, Snow White and Prince Charming meet up for the first time.

• Love 1

After watching the S3 finale, I went back and watched "Snow Falls" to see just how the Charmings' love story had been changed. I think the original story shown in this episode was so much better. Charming saving Snow from the Black Knights was much more dramatic and "swoon-worthy" than the newer result. It is definitely a much more meaningful action and it clearly has a profound effect on Snow. His risked his life to save hers even though they were essentially strangers. It's a great beginning to what used to be this show's epic love story.

I love how in Storybrooke, Mary Margaret starts to get on the fairy tale bandwagon with Henry. The scene in the diner where she says David woke up and immediately runs off with Henry to read some more of the book to David was adorable. Man, I miss the old days of awesome Bandit!Snow and equally cute, friends with Emma and looking for true love and a happy ending Mary Margaret.

• Love 3
(edited)

I just loved Mary Margaret and Emma in this one.  The "surprise" ending was so annoying, though.  

Discussing this episode in light of Season 3:

As interesting as the time travelling was, it's kind of sad that some of this stuff never happened now. I'm going to imagine that the Blue Fairy was able to toss some fairy dust into Snow and Charming's tea so they can remember both version of events. Or maybe all it takes is a touch from Emma since she is such a powerful sorceress... she could bestow a "gift" unto her parents like Regina did for her and Henry before they left for NYC.  Without any rules, we can pretty much say make anything up.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Camera One, I accept your head cannon.  Snow and Charming should be able to see both versions, because it also proves how timeless and perservering their love story really is.  Hmmm... timele

(edited)

This is the episode I fell in love with this show. It is one of the best episodes of the show (maybe The Best?). The moment when Snow puts on the ring and she and Charming fall in love...pure magic.

Everything about this episode is fantastic. I love that Emma agreed to Henry's plan of having MM read to John Doe hoping that it would help him face "reality", but MM really did end up waking David. And the whispered "come back to me" and the CPR/kiss at the Troll Bridge was very much like a fairy tale. 

Spoiler

Seems like they copied this for the CS "Killian, come back to me" CPR/kiss in 3B. I like them both.

Regina is so deliciously pleased at finding Kathryn aka the "Nag with the Bad Attitude". Sure coma patient John Doe muttered Kathryn's name in his sleep. What utter BS! lol 

When Whale lied to MM about not seeing any change in David's vitals and then called Regina, it was yet another indication of how thoroughly the latter had the whole town under her control. 

Dr. Whale's date with MM was hilarious. The "I'm a teacher; not a nun" joke was probably A&E's inside joke. They had originally planned to kill off David in the Pilot, and make Snow's cursed personality be that of a nun.

Emma telling Henry that giving someone false hope was worse than not having a Happy Ending is one of the most memorable lines of this show.

Spoiler

Much as I love the Season 3 finale for the Captain Swan of it, the alternate version of Snowing's meeting is nowhere close to being as epic as the original version. I remember that despite all the spoilers, I kept hoping they wouldn't change it. Ah well...Maybe grown-up baby Hope will travel back in time with her True Love and change things back to the Original Snow Falls version. 

Charming's kill count was three, including two black knights and the troll-bug.

Spoiler

But they were all red-shirt villians. So, that's okay, amirite?

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 5

Yes, this was the episode that sealed the deal for me. I was iffy on the concept of the show, but my mom talked me into watching the pilot. I loved the pilot, but then I barely made it through the second episode. Then there was this one.

It seems like not only was Storybrooke more "fairytale" at this time, but the Enchanted Forest looked a lot more magical and fairytale-like back then. They were shooting in the same places, more or less, so what changed?

I didn't remember Charming being an expert archer.

I loved Mary Margaret's wardrobe in season one. It was very Audrey Hepburn -- just a bit retro, enough to make her rather otherworldly.

Snow really was the cynic, wasn't she?

Spoiler

That's quite the contrast to all the hope speeches that came later.

Mary Margaret seems more like the fairytale/Disney Snow White. She's sweet, maybe a bit sappy, the kind of person you could imagine taking an apple from a creepy old woman.

I want to punch Regina's smug face so bad at the end of the episode. I also find it hard to believe that the people in the town would have believed that they didn't find David's wife until then. It's a small town. It has a newspaper. Even if Kathryn didn't look for him, surely a neighbor or coworker could have seen a picture in the newspaper and recognized him. Of course, we know why no one did: his Storybrooke life wasn't created until he woke up. But it's still fishy, even with Regina's explanation.

• Love 3

Got teary when Snow put the ring on. The look on Charming’s face was priceless.

Spoiler

I kept getting flashes from Snow Drifts/No Place Like Home because I’ve seen it soooo many times. I do like Charming’s role in this better than the revision in the season 3 finale. But happily we have them both.

Emma looks so vulnerable when she knocks on Mary Margaret’s door to ask for the spare room. 

I love this episode so much.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, daxx said:

Emma looks so vulnerable when she knocks on Mary Margaret’s door to ask for the spare room. 

I too loved this. And this was implied to be as a result of Regina taunting Emma about being alone. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm always afraid to watch something I loved, fearing that the magic would be gone.  But this episode was still very enjoyable.  

I thought Abigail in the carriage saying "This is taking forever" sounded a little modern, especially compared to Charming's "Worry not.  It's but a fallen tree." 

Spoiler

It bothered me later in the series when characters who had come directly from the Enchanted Forest (eg. Robin Hood, Anna) sounded too modern.  But at least they were trying at the start of the series to make the Fairytale characters (like Charming, in this case), speak more formally.

Watching this episode, I couldn't help but

Spoiler

Think about Jacinda and Season 7.  I know, how horrible, right?  But rewatching this reminded me how similar this setup was to the Season 7 premiere.  In several ways, Snow was an abrasive female.  She stole, hit Charming with a rock, then pushed him into a river.  But somehow, I didn't dislike Snow.  What was the difference?  It did show how unoriginal they were, to basically try a cookie cutter copy for their "requel" in Season 7

Snow seemed very jaded.

Spoiler

Moreso than I remember.  So now, she didn't believe in love as first sight or true love?  But the flashback that chronologically pre-dated this one, was the Season 7 retcon when Snowing first met without knowing it.  And she was nowhere near as jaded as here.  You'd think the Writers would have re-watched this episode before writing that one.  I had to laugh when Mary Margaret said in the present-day, "If true love was that easy, we'd all have it."  Cue a bike ride and an exchange of Wolfie and Kansas.

It was weird how in the storybook, MM turned the page from the Flying Monkeys and the next page was in the middle of her story.  

I found it strange when Emma asked incredulously if Regina just believed Henry when he said he was going to the arcade, Henry replied, "She believes what she wants to."  What's that supposed to mean?  She secretly wanted him out the way so she didn't care he wasn't at the arcade.  If that's the case, he's one jaded kid.

Spoiler

Henry was so pro-active in this one.  I did think about Lucy several times in this episode and how different that was.  I didn't remember that Henry recognized David through the scar on his chin, which he realized matched the one in the book.

Spoiler

I was amazed how good Charming was at archery too.   Did he get this from training with King George?

I really liked how they had trolls under a bridge... back then, stuff like that from fairy tales endeared me to the show.

When Dr. Whale said the patient seemed to be trying to find something, Henry interjected "someONE", and the look Regina shot him was positively murderous.

When I first watched this episode, I

Spoiler

thought Emma would continue to dig into Kathryn's story.  I loved how she said she didn't buy Regina's story about her.  

The Emma/Mary Margaret moments were great.  I think Emma went to live with Mary Margaret partly because she saw how hurt she was by this whole ordeal and maybe she realized MM needed someone, which made her feel better about inconveniencing MM.

Spoiler

I do wish while watching this that we didn't get the whole David-remembers-Kathryn-and-sleeps-with-her crap we got later.  They could have done such a great story without such melodrama.

Spoiler

Big Unanswered Question #1:  Where did Snow get the dark fairy dust?  

Now, we can unequivocally say we'll never know?  :(

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
(edited)

This one sealed it for me too.  I really liked Emma agreeing to ask Mary Margaret and explaining to Henry about not telling her about the soul-mate. I liked that Mary Margaret was willing to do that for Henry. Yeah it was simple but it was nice. I like how she explained to the coma patient she was doing it for a friend. She realized how silly it was. Then of course it worked. Emma's shocked that it worked. Along with her expressions as Ruby is leading them.

The flashbacks were really good. It was great to see Snow as a bandit and ambushing the carriage, Charming realizing it was an ambush, and her hitting with a rock. Charming setting the trap with the net. The two working together at Troll Bridge. I really liked Snow getting away and assuming he did too until she turned around then had to decide whether to go back or run. It was a good scene. Her comment about how she couldn't let Prince Charming die. I really loved their cute meet and falling in love.

Where was Kathryn the whole time? Was she locked up or did she think believe her backstory the whole time. If she did why didn't anyone else know about it. Its a small town. No one not even in the small time Emma was there knew of a coma patient and woman who's husband was missing. Why wouldn't she have called the hospital to see if he was there if she hadn't heard from him in a long time. It makes no sense unless she was locked up like Belle was. 

I love, love Emma showing up at Mary Margaret's door at the end asking about the room. I remember being so excited at the two being roommates. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2

I believe this episode was written by Liz Tigelaar, who was not at all interested in writing for a fantasy series but was under contract with ABC to contribute writing for whatever they wanted. I wonder if that is why the modern day stuff relationship-wise with Emma and Mary Margaret and Henry works so well. She was very comfortable writing modern dramas. Interestingly, she was the showrunner for Life Unexpected, a show about a kid who grew up in the foster system and ended up at 16 living with her birth parents. That certainly gives her a better insight into the life Emma would have lived as a child.

Spoiler

She also co-wrote "True North" which is also very good in the modern storyline with regards to the Emma/Snow relationship and just Emma's feelings in general about the foster system and the reality of seeing siblings potentially split up and forced into the system. I would bet that her experience writing Life Unexpected explains why things were much more serious and realistic about Emma's childhood in that episode.

I too was brought back to the show with this episode. I skipped quite a bit of the previous episode originally after loving the Pilot. I know I was always more interested in the Storybrooke side of things from the beginning and a centric focusing on Regina being a bitch in the present and the past was not very interesting to me. This episode got me interested in the fairyback and did a better job of linking the past and the present stories too. It helps that there was a fun adventure in the past and Josh and Ginny had some obvious chemistry. It greatly helps to have Snow and Charming falling in love on screen at the same time the actors are doing so in real life.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Camera One said:
Spoiler

But somehow, I didn't dislike Snow. 

Spoiler

I think part of that was Goodwin was a better actress than Dania and was able to show some subtext that she was more than an abrasive brat.  The episode was also written better with more time spent with Snow and Charming and you saw more sides of Snow than just hitting him with w a rock.  You saw them have a number of scenes together and you could see how they reevaluated each other over the course of the episode.  Plus there adventure was more fun than the flashback adventures in season 7.

Compare that to Tianna and Naveen where you had one scene with them both being kind of obnoxious and then the next scene Tiana changes her view of Naveen without much build-up.  I barely remember any of Jacinda and Henry's flashbacks.   Snow and Charming falling in love seemed to have more weight was because they did a better job of showing it happen throughout the course of the episode in reaction to spending time with each other and witnessing the other act in ways outside their preconceived notion of each other.  It did not just come out of nowhere with a writers note - they have sparred a bit - not lets have them realize they love each other even through there is really no reason for it other than the I hate you - I love you cliche.   Also Goodwin and Dallas really did have good chemistry and pulled off seeming natural in fairy tale more more than the season 7 newcomers.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Where was Kathryn the whole time? Was she locked up or did she think believe her backstory the whole time. If she did why didn't anyone else know about it. Its a small town. No one not even in the small time Emma was there knew of a coma patient and woman who's husband was missing. Why wouldn't she have called the hospital to see if he was there if she hadn't heard from him in a long time. 

I think it's safe to say it was an effect of the Curse. Time was frozen until Emma decided to stay.

Spoiler

They were all in a haze from one day to the next, even to apparently repeating their actions with little variation. It's not odd that nobody made the connection between the John Doe coma patient and Kathryn's missing husband. 

• Love 1

Count me as another one who fell in love with the show because of this episode. This is the one that hooked me on Snowing and kept me tuning in to see what would happen with them. 

Several others have remarked on this, and I think I did as well in the Ep1 thread, but the aesthetic both of Storybrooke and the Enchanted Forest is so different in the first season. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but I notice it particularly in Mary Margaret's loft (soft lighting, vintage decor) and at the Troll Bridge, with the mist, it really did seem magical. I wish I knew what changed in the later seasons, did they just stop caring or paying attention to those details? I mean, I don't think the loft changed but somehow it seemed different? 

Also agree that MM's wardrobe was so great in this season, as was her hair, and I can't understand 

Spoiler

why why why why why they started dressing her so terribly and gave her that awful haircut. It's so bad it almost seems intentional, like they were trying to make her as unattractive as possible. I can't understand it. 

Charming was also pretty badass in this ep, I had forgotten he used to be able to do stuff. I really wish 

Spoiler

that in later episodes we had seen more of them having adventures together. Less eggnapping, more adventuring. 

Finally, and I'd be genuinely interested to hear people's take on this,

Spoiler

I really just do not understand where SwanQueen comes from. Did it start as early as S1, or was it later? Because I've been looking hard to see if I can detect any hint of anything that would suggest Emma and Regina are secretly hot for each other and sorry but it's just not there. Unless your kink is sex with people who genuinely loathe and despise everything about you and want to see you destroyed, I don't get how anyone can see it. This goes beyond just the I-hate-you-just-kidding-this-animosity-is-just-sexual-tension-let's-bang-now trope, the way the two actresses play it in these first few eps, the loathing is palpable. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Where was Kathryn the whole time? Was she locked up or did she think believe her backstory the whole time.

I don't think they said specifically on screen, but my headcanon was that Regina tweaked the curse once David woke up, so that Kathryn had spent all of the curse maybe thinking she was single, but then she suddenly got a new memory/identity download and believed that her husband had been missing for a few years when Regina needed to keep David and Mary Margaret apart. She hadn't needed that when he was in a coma. If having a husband had been part of Kathryn's original curse identity, there was no reason why David needed to have been a John Doe. Him having a wife who sat by his bedside while he was in a coma would have been a far more effective way of keeping him away from Snow.

11 hours ago, Camera One said:

Watching this episode, I couldn't help but

Hide contents

Think about Jacinda and Season 7.  I know, how horrible, right?  But rewatching this reminded me how similar this setup was to the Season 7 premiere.  In several ways, Snow was an abrasive female.  She stole, hit Charming with a rock, then pushed him into a river.  But somehow, I didn't dislike Snow.  What was the difference? 

Spoiler

I think it helped that Snow and Charming were established already before we saw her being an abrasive female. We started with the TLK, then saw their wedding, saw them being tender with each other, saw him fighting to save their baby, saw her sobbing over his wounded body. We saw Mary Margaret being put upon in Storybrooke but still trying to maintain optimism and keep going. Only then did we see the flash back to further in the past, so the abrasiveness wasn't a first impression. It was the backstory to a happy ending we already knew. In a way, it was like those couple interviews in When Harry Met Sally, where we know it's an old couple that's been together a long time, and then they have some funny story about how they met in an unlikely way.

14 minutes ago, profdanglais said:

I really just do not understand where SwanQueen comes from. Did it start as early as S1, or was it later?

I recall reading some posts in season one about the scene in the previous episode when Regina comes to Emma's room at the inn with the apples. People read that as a come-on, and then the fact that Emma came to the door with her bra showing under her tank top was read as being a come-hither flirtation move, so that whole scene was interpreted as a kind of courtship or dance of attraction. I just saw hate.

• Love 3

SwanQueen is likely a result of the instinct to ship the hero with the villain (the enemies to lovers trope). I hadn't heard of SQ until season 2 or 3, so this time I tried to see if there was anything to suggest that in these early episodes. Regina's deliciously evil looks of glee at thwarting Emma could be misinterpreted as a precursor for sexual attraction. There was also some people harping on Emma wearing one of Regina's shirts, which apparently was a sign that they would eventually sleep together. 

14 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I recall reading some posts in season one about the scene in the previous episode when Regina comes to Emma's room at the inn with the apples. People read that as a come-on

Maybe her infatuation scrambled Regina's brain into thinking her apples were of the honeycrisp variety? ;-P

Love, love, love this episode. To me, it is the show at its best - the backstory is surprising, both because Snow White isn't supposed to be a bandit (and Charming isn't supposed to be engaged to someone else) and because we've already seen scenes of married royals Snowing behaving much closer to the typical fairy-tale couple. But it isn't shocking just for the sake of it, and doesn't totally wreck our sense of these characters. Snow is a bandit, and something of a cynic, but she isn't vicious and there's a playfulness to her that makes it understandable that Charming would find her so compelling. There's also a clearly defined limit on her lawlessness-- she clarifies that she only steals from the EQ, and targeted Charming by mistake, and later, of course, she's willing to put saving Charming above the possible revenge on the queen.

And of course, it helps that GG and JD have great chemistry.

• Love 2

A couple of weird things about this episode in retrospect.

Spoiler

This episode has the first reference to the Black Fairy. She was a character who, like Maleficent and others, was used for something completely different from what was setup. (Other than the fact Blue banished her.) We never saw how Snow obtained the dust from her or why her wand could recreate magic. It's just all sort of there.

Also, this is the second time "John Doe" has gone missing in Storybrooke. The same thing happened in the flashbacks of "Awake". I'm surprised Regina didn't find that highly suspicious or at least put in some precautions to prevent it from happening again.

16 hours ago, Camera One said:

I thought Abigail in the carriage saying "This is taking forever" sounded a little modern, especially compared to Charming's "Worry not.  It's but a fallen tree." 

Spoiler

It's nothing to be compared with Elsa talking about Anna "dating".

16 hours ago, Camera One said:

It was weird how in the storybook, MM turned the page from the Flying Monkeys and the next page was in the middle of her story.  

I've totally given up on the storybook page continuity. One illustration has a random torch on the wall taking up the entire page... like why?

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree they did a good job of making the Enchanted Forest in the flashbacks different from Storybrooke forest, by setting the former in the day, and the latter in evening.  It gave Storybrooke forest a more sinister quality.

Spoiler

I thought the re-creation in the Season 4 finale with Bandit Regina was severely lacking.  Everything about the forest and her log felt less "magical" somehow.

Regarding Kathryn:

Spoiler

I too have the impression that Regina "tweaked" Kathryn's memories.  Her line to Emma that she "remembered that NOT having someone is the worst" suggests she made the recent decision to bring in Kathryn for added pain to Snow.  It was also throwing in Emma's face that she had Henry and Emma didn't.  

But that raises questions of HOW Regina can rework the Curse.  How did she give Belle fake memories of Lacey?  Or how did she know how to "trigger" it?  Sometimes, it seems like Regina had no idea what the Curse was beforehand, and sometimes, she had some control.  This episode did remind me how much I hated that Rumple re-activated David's fake memories in the Shop.  Why didn't Regina do that herself?  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
(edited)

I still love this episode so very much. It still holds up so well, and it set up Snow and Charming so well. The flashbacks were also really well integrated with the Storeybrooke plot, and the fairy tale twists with Snow being a snarly bandit and her and Charming starting out fighting each other is such a fun twist, that still works super well. It also sells their romance so well, and makes their separation, with MM/Snow being sad and meek, and Charming/David being sleep for 28 years even more sad. 

Spoiler

The Henry/Jacinda meet cute was such a pale imitation of this. Also, poor Charming was asleep for 28 years! I know that he didnt really realize that for awhile, but thats a pretty big deal. Thanks again, Regina! What a hero!

Snowing has such great chemistry, and I loved seeing it all start. And the original "I will find you!" being a threat was something I forgot about, and I love it. And I love early Storeybrooke and early EF. They were both so magical, while being totally different. I totally bought the EF as a magical land, and not just a random forest in Canada, and Storeybrooke had such a strange mysterious vibe. I dont know what happened. And, Charming/David has such a noble bearing, if that makes sense. I totally buy him as a fairytale prince from a magical medieval kingdom. He doesn't just seem like a modern guy LARPing in the woods behind his house like a lot of people in this sort of part might have.

The Storeybrooke stuff was fun too, with the awkward date between Whale and MM, Henry being cute, and the continuing friendship between MM and Emma. I also loved MMs style, it fit the weird, out of time retro vibe of Storeybrooke so well. I also liked seeing more of how much Regina had the whole town under her thumb. You know, as much as I think the show oversold the horror of the Dark Curse, I do buy that Regina thinks this is awesome. She gets to be the stylish, all powerful Mayor who has total control of all the people who rebelled or pissed her off, and can make them all feel like crap, or turn them into her toadies. Regina is just so freaking smug as Mayor Mills, its great. Her face when Katheryn showed up was just so satisfied. 

I assume Katheryn showing up and never having looked for David before was part of the curse, and everyone being frozen in time until Emma showed up. Katheryn probably just remembered having a husband she tragically missed, and thats how it always was (maybe tied into her separation from her own backstory we find out later?) just like Charming was always a coma patient that no one could identify. They were all pretty much stuck doing the same things over and over, and no one questioned it until the clock moved and Emma started doing stuff. 

Graham saying the forest is "his world" is another nice bit of foreshadowing. 

Spoiler

At the time, I wondered if he was the Big Bad Wolf, and he was tied into the wolf we saw in the pilot. I was kind right on him being connected to the woods, and their being a werewolf running around, but off on the actual whos. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
(edited)
15 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

Hide contents

This episode has the first reference to the Black Fairy. She was a character who, like Maleficent and others, was used for something completely different from what was setup. (Other than the fact Blue banished her.) 

Spoiler

I suppose there could be more "bad" fairies out there, since Snow said it was dust that was not from a good fairy and didn't specify the "Black" fairy.  I remember eagerly awaiting the flashback where we would find out how Snow got this dark fairy dust.  Maybe we could have gotten that in the episode where Belle returned the baby that Rumple stole.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
(edited)
Spoiler
2 hours ago, Camera One said:

This episode did remind me how much I hated that Rumple re-activated David's fake memories in the Shop.  Why didn't Regina do that herself?  

I'm confused whether he was aware of it or not. I feel like he had nothing to do with it, and Regina manipulated the events somehow.

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I don't think they said specifically on screen, but my headcanon was that Regina tweaked the curse once David woke up, so that Kathryn had spent all of the curse maybe thinking she was single, but then she suddenly got a new memory/identity download and believed that her husband had been missing for a few years when Regina needed to keep David and Mary Margaret apart. She hadn't needed that when he was in a coma. If having a husband had been part of Kathryn's original curse identity, there was no reason why David needed to have been a John Doe. Him having a wife who sat by his bedside while he was in a coma would have been a far more effective way of keeping him away from Snow.

This is the episode that got me curious about how the curse worked.  Did David's amnesia mean he had no cursed personality?  Why did Regina have so many people willing to do her bidding?  Was Regina able to control them via the curse?  If Regina had some control over the cursed personalities then why did Mary Margret retain so much classic Snow White in her personality?  Wouldn't Regina want a harsher punishment than that?  Something that would make the townsfolk look down on her?  And if Regina didn't have much control over cursed personalities, and it seemed like she didn't, then did that mean that the people doing Regina's dirty work were lower level fairy tale villains whose personalities were peaking through the curse?

In terms of Katherine showing up, I think what she said was true.  The fog of time not moving kept her from ever seeking out what happened to her husband in her cursed memory and then Regina went to her and spurred action after realizing Mary Margaret had been visiting David.  Regina seemed surprised that Mary Margaret had been visiting.  I'm going with Katherine always having the memory of being married to David but Regina was perfectly content with David being a John Doe no one cared about and preferred that to anyone spending every day visiting with him in the hospital.  She just hadn't realized Mary Margaret had found him.  At that point, putting an obstacle between Mary Margret and David became the most effective way to cause harm.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Regina seemed surprised that Mary Margaret had been visiting.  

Spoiler

In "Welcome to Storybrooke" in Season 2, I think we see that Regina (in the first days of the Curse), comes to watch Mary Margaret putting flowers in David's room and then smiling gleefully in the background.  But I think this was the first time Mary Margaret spent a more extended time with John Doe.

(edited)
6 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:
Spoiler

I'm confused whether he was aware of it or not. I feel like he had nothing to do with it, and Regina manipulated the events somehow.

Spoiler

The way he spoke to Charming, I'm sure he knew what Regina was doing. He just had to play along to keep her placated.  He didn't care about Regina's circus because he knew it would just push Emma to break the curse.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
(edited)

Why would Charming be trying to find the Toll Bridge in Storybrooke Forest?  Is there something that connects that bridge with the actual Troll Bridge in the Enchanted Forest other than its name?  Or was he simply trying to find a bridge, any bridge, in the forest, because his subconscious remembers a bridge in a forest without remembering its significance?

It's interesting how dogged Charming was in pursuing his mother's ring.  It seems like Snow didn't appreciate why he wanted it back.  She seemed to focus on giving it to his fiancé when Charming was more connected to it because it was his mother's.  

Charming was from a different kingdom.  I wonder how much he knew about the Evil Queen when he used the Wanted Poster against Snow.

1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Question: If it's a "re-watch", then why are we spoiler tagging stuff?

The moderator said in case people are watching the series for the first time come here to post.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Question: If it's a "re-watch", then why are we spoiler tagging stuff?

Even though it's a rewatch, these are episode topics, so conversation should only be connected to the episode (or the storylines up until that point in the series). If you start going too deep into the weeds with spoiler tags (and it looks like that may be starting to happen?) - please take the conversation to A Thread for All Seasons, which is for discussion of the entire series. Thank you!

10 hours ago, Camera One said:

Why would Charming be trying to find the Toll Bridge in Storybrooke Forest?  Is there something that connects that bridge with the actual Troll Bridge in the Enchanted Forest other than its name?  Or was he simply trying to find a bridge, any bridge, in the forest, because his subconscious remembers a bridge in a forest without remembering its significance?

It's interesting how dogged Charming was in pursuing his mother's ring.  It seems like Snow didn't appreciate why he wanted it back.  She seemed to focus on giving it to his fiancé when Charming was more connected to it because it was his mother's.  

Charming was from a different kingdom.  I wonder how much he knew about the Evil Queen when he used the Wanted Poster against Snow.

The moderator said in case people are watching the series for the first time come here to post.

I don't think Charming knew where he was. I don't think he had any memories or he would have woken up asking for Kathryn if he had Curse memories or his last memories would have been putting Emma in the wardrobe and fighting the Black Knights. When he woke up after Mary Margaret was reading to him about the Troll Bridge he went looking for it. Looking for the bridge and for Snow.