Type keyword(s) to search

Arrow Stars in Other Roles

• Start Topic

Amanda Waller showed up on Chicago Med.

It's a small world after all.

Was it a gun shot wound? ;)

Glad for her, I was really sad to see her leave ARROW so definitively.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 3

Was it a gun shot wound? ;)

Glad for her, I was really sad to see her leave ARROW so definitively.

Nah, it's Chicago Med -- she was a doctor.  Pretty good role though and a possibility to return as Choi's love interest.

I was pleased to see Emily Brett Rickards in a small role in Brooklyn, a movie that has some decent Oscar buzz, and is just a very lovely movie. She plays a gossipy pretty girl who lives in the boarding house the main character lives in. Rather different than Felicity, but I thought she did a good job in a smaller role. Plus, Megan from Mad Men shows up as the main girls boss! 

• Love 1

Brooklyn is going to be turned into a BBC TV series starring Julie Walters (but no Saoirse Ronan and, I'm assuming, no EBR)...

The article says "Wildgaze is seeking writers for the TV drama, which will focus on Kehoe’s New York boarding house, and will feature the same group of Irish, British and American young women. The film’s leading actress Saoirse Ronan is not expected to return in her role as Eilis Lacey."

I wonder if they will recast Patty or just put a new character in her place.  It would be sweet if they would keep EBR but if its a series, they probably want to have the actors around enough to actually write stories for them.  Nora-Jane Noone, who played Sheila the oldest boarder, had a regular role as Kate Noonan, the Garda on the Jack Taylor movies but they seemed to have stopped making them as Iain Glen is occupied with Game of Thrones.

• Love 1

I'm really excited for JB on Reign. I think the show is right up his alley. And since they've taken away Francis & banished Bash to a ridiculous C-plot, its nice to have something to look fwd to on the show.

Nick Tarabay who played Digger Harkness in last year's crossover eps was on Castle last night doing an amazing imitation of Castle but as a Russian spy.  I've been down on Castly this season but that was an episode I'm glad I watched.

Why Brooklyn Deserves To Win Best Picture
BY BRENT MCKNIGHT 47 MINUTES AGO
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Brooklyn-Deserves-Win-Best-Picture-114007.html

Even outside of the core actors, of Saoirse Ronan, Emory Cohen, and Domhnall Gleeson, who form a trans-Atlantic love triangle, the cast of Brooklyn is strong across the board. Jim Broadbent infuses his priest character with a tender humanity, despite only having a few scenes; Julie Walters, as the woman who runs Eilis’ boarding house in Brooklyn, is sharp and biting, but also funny and warm; Arrow’s Emily Bett Rickards, Eve Macklin, and Nora-Jane Noone play fellow boarders who are ditzy, catty, gossip mongers, but who also have a sweetness, giving texture and personality to otherwise throwaway characters. Then there’s Brid Brennan, as the malevolent store owner, and Eilis’ boss in Ireland, who will make you hate her in just two scenes—actually it will only take one. Tony’s family provides a good-natured bit of comic relief and lightness, especially the young James DiGiacomo as the youngest son who’s way too smart for his own good.
  • Love 2

I don't recall if this was posted before, but Alex Kingston was cast last fall in a new Canadian TV series called Shoot the Messenger (scheduled to air this summer on CBC-TV).  So I imagine that this limited her availability to appear on Arrow...

Shoot the Messenger casts Elyse Levesque, Alex Kingston, Lyriq Bent
CBC News Posted: Sep 02, 2015 3:30 PM ET

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/shoot-the-messenger-casts-elyse-levesque-alex-kingston-lyriq-bent-1.3212724

Edited by tv echo

Shoot the Messenger casts Elyse Levesque, Alex Kingston, Lyriq Bent

CBC News Posted: Sep 02, 2015 3:30 PM ET

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/shoot-the-messenger-casts-elyse-levesque-alex-kingston-lyriq-bent-1.3212724

Thanks for the tip.  Elyse Levesque played Useless Girl in Stargate Universe but the rest of the cast seems good, including Nicholas Campbell. The people making it, Jenniver Holness and Sudz Sutherland, have done some interesting work.

I think of how ER dumped Alex Kingston because they couldn't think of what to do with the character and I laugh and laugh.

If she just got a new pilot, that would mean that whoever ;) is in the grave could possibly jump right back into television.  Though maybe not if they are required to keep their new found availability quiet. 

Yeah, technically they could. Casting for A LOT of pilots is still going on right now. Of course, then they gotta be picked up to series to be back on TV.

If anyone's curious, THR is keeping a pretty well updated list of every pilot ordered by the big 5:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-pilots-2016-complete-guide-845373

Yeah, technically they could. Casting for A LOT of pilots is still going on right now. Of course, then they gotta be picked up to series to be back on TV.

If anyone's curious, THR is keeping a pretty well updated list of every pilot ordered by the big 5:

Phew, I'm interested in almost none of that. Looks like I might get to have a normal tv viewing schedule next fall.

• Love 1
(edited)

Underground on WGN will be premiering next Wednesday, March 9th.  Jessica De Gouw is in it, but eh.  I'm planning on watching for Aldis Hodge (yay!), Jurnee Smollett-Bell, and  Christopher Meloni.  

ETA: I know there are plenty of Buffy fans on here...I just saw that Marc Blucas is in it too.  Not sure if that's a good or bad thing for you all, ha. 

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

Hope this pilot by NBC crashes and burns.  It's even filmed in Vancouver.  Rip off. 

Time

Logline: The high-octane drama follows an unlikely trio who travel through time to battle a master criminal intent on altering the fabric of human history with potentially catastrophic results.

Cast: Matt Lanter (90210), Abigail Spencer (Rectify), Claudia Doumit, Paterson Joseph, Malcolm Barrett

Team: W/EP Shawn Ryan, Eric Kripke; EP John Davis, John Fox, Marney Hochman; D Neil Marshall

Studio: Sony Pictures Television, Davis Entertainment

Just a bit too much like LoT. 

It's funny and a bit embarrassing, but I found more to like in the list of the CW's pilots than in all the other shows from all the other networks. 

The only one that sounded really interesting was a grown up Nancy Drew working as a police detective.

Team: W/EP Shawn Ryan

But, but, but...Shawn Ryan gave me Terriers, and that was an awesome show! Plus, he's involved with The Get Down, and that also looks amazing. It probably is a rip-off or most likely how everyone in Hollywood conveniently has the same ideas at the same time. 

• Love 1

Maybe I missed something but I don't see how it's a ripoff of LoT other than the time travel and chasing a criminal. There is no mention of the characters being metahumans or superheroes. Heck LoT is a ripoff of Doctor Who, essentially.

Everything is derivative these days. IMO

• Love 3

Maybe I missed something but I don't see how it's a ripoff of LoT other than the time travel and chasing a criminal. There is no mention of the characters being metahumans or superheroes. Heck LoT is a ripoff of Doctor Who, essentially.

Everything is derivative these days. IMO

It's more the timing.  LoT made a little splash  but it's on the CW so here comes NBC thinking that's a good idea, why don't we just take it and since we are bigger, we almost certainly will beat their viewing audience no matter what.  I think I'm still annoyed with all the copy cats (bad copy cats) that sprung up after Lost and X-files. 

Rip Hunter actually predated Dr. Who, but yes, in general everything is derivative but this one felt just a bit too on the nose and even the same filming location possibilities. 

It really depends on how long TIME has been in development. Maybe Kripke and Ryan had been shopping it around long before LoT became a thing. I really don't know.

But I guess to me there is room for more than one time travel show. 

SA's new project, Code 8, was announced on his facebook page today (watch trailer)...
https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/videos/1013986258686641/

Stephen Amell teases secret sci-fi project with Robbie Amell and Fast & Furious star
BY NICK ROMANO March 12 2016 — 3:44 PM EST
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/12/code-8-stephen-amell-robbie-trailer

Arrow's Stephen Amell Announces "Code 8" Sci-Fi Film, Releases Trailer Online
Russ Burlingame- 03/12/2016
http://comicbook.com/2016/03/12/arrows-stephen-amell-announces-code-8-sci-fi-film-releases-trail/

This new review of Brooklyn praised EBR...

Perfect, Charming, and Sanitized
INDRA ARRIAGA  MARCH 17, 2016 - 10:50 AM
http://www.anchoragepress.com/film/perfect-charming-and-sanitized

Tony Fiorello, the young and adorable Italian boyfriend is played by Emory Cohen. The physical differences between the young lovers add to the charm of this love story, as he reaches up to kiss her, and tiptoes to be her height. Up until this point, Brooklyn is a Disney fairytale and takes the opportunity to weave in humorous characters and scenarios built around the dinner table, whether it’s at Tony’s Mamma’s house or at Eilis’ boarding house with her catty, frigid, or charismatic housemates and a landlady who’s been around the block once or twice. One of the housemates, Patty, is played by Emily Bett Rickards (Arrow fans know her as Felicity Smoak) unfortunately for Ronan, Bett Rickards has quite a presence and tends to steal a scene or two.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Sounds like Indra's a fan of Arrow. As much as I like EBR, if anyone stole a scene in Brooklyn, it was Nora-Jane Noone who played Sheila, the divorced lodger.

I saw Brandon Routh's Superman Returns for the first time last night when it was on TV.  (Nice timing since LoT was a repeat.)  I've only heard bad things about it and him but I thought it was pretty good, especially the ending which was sweet.  Definitely far superior to Man of Steel.

Sounds like Indra's a fan of Arrow. As much as I like EBR, if anyone stole a scene in Brooklyn, it was Nora-Jane Noone who played Sheila, the divorced lodger.

I saw Brandon Routh's Superman Returns for the first time last night when it was on TV.  (Nice timing since LoT was a repeat.)  I've only heard bad things about it and him but I thought it was pretty good, especially the ending which was sweet.  Definitely far superior to Man of Steel.

I had too big of issues with SR to like it more than MoS but BR was never one of my complaints.  Didn't love the Lois they cast or the storyline behind the kid or how Supes was still closed off from anyone's life in the end but those complaints paled next to the awful (IMO) Lex and the rewarmed land scheme.  Even Lex's gal pal might as well have been Miss Tessbacher.  Then the logic fails of lifting the island and all the kryptonite exposure it hurt my head. 

• Love 1

Yahoo TV is doing a week-long countdown of their "30 Best Bad Shows of the Last 30 Years", including 2009's Harper's Island - in this interview with Christopher Gorham, he mentions KC (article includes video clip of Trish's death)...

Christopher Gorham Looks Back on 'Harper's Island'
Mandi Bierly  March 21, 2016
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/harper-191723136.html

How did the Harper’s Island role come to you?
I was asked to come in and read for the role after the pilot had already been picked up to series. Katie Cassidy and I both joined the show this way, so they had to re-shoot every pilot scene we were in. Weirdly, the day before I got the call to come read, [actor] Adam Campbell and his wife, Jayma Mays (with whom I had just worked on Ugly Betty) were at our house for dinner, telling my wife, Anel, and I about how his pilot, Harper’s Island, had just been picked up. Crazy timing.
Since going off the air, the show has built a following via DVD and streaming — how often do fans still ask you about it? Are they still angry at you for killing Katie Cassidy?
Most often people want to know if/when I knew I was the killer. And, yes, they’re all still angry. She’s fine, guys! She’s on Arrow!

SA's new project, Code 8, was announced on his facebook page today (watch trailer)...

https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/videos/1013986258686641/

Stephen Amell teases secret sci-fi project with Robbie Amell and Fast & Furious star

BY NICK ROMANO March 12 2016 — 3:44 PM EST

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/12/code-8-stephen-amell-robbie-trailer

Arrow's Stephen Amell Announces "Code 8" Sci-Fi Film, Releases Trailer Online

Russ Burlingame- 03/12/2016

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/12/arrows-stephen-amell-announces-code-8-sci-fi-film-releases-trail/

And then came the fundraising campaign.  It's still their first day and they are more than half way to their goal  so they probably are going to reach it.  Two hundred thousand is a pretty low number for movie fund raising so I don't feel too badly about them asking fans if they'd want to be a part of it.  Still wondering if it will get off the ground and really be made. 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/code-8-a-film-from-robbie-stephen-amell

I've got to admit, that short does not look cheap. Not that it necessarily cost a bundle to get made, going by the whole sum they need, I'm guessing it didn't, but it doesn't give off that impression visually.

And then came the fundraising campaign.  It's still their first day and they are more than half way to their goal  so they probably are going to reach it.  Two hundred thousand is a pretty low number for movie fund raising so I don't feel too badly about them asking fans if they'd want to be a part of it.

Man. Arrow fans seem like a pretty well-off group of people. They're certainly very generous and loyally support the cast's ventures. Everything SA has asked of or promoted--HVFF, SA's wine club memberships/parties, his various charities-- plus all other cons that the cast are involved with (SuperHeroes Con in France and City of Heroes in the UK) seem to have been pretty successful.

Yeah but Veronica Mars had already been an established cult classic whose fans had been wishing and hoping, for years, to see their favorite snarky PI from Neptune in action for just one more time. Me, included. I gladly contributed to that total. :)

This Code 8 project is totally an unknown quantity that is banking on maybe some interest in the subject material (superheroes/robots/AU society), but mostly on the recognition/affection for/involvement of SA and RA, in helping them raise funds to produce it. That they'll be able to raise close to a quarter of a million in one/two days is quite impressive.

• Love 4