Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Juniors Choice

Miles and his partner and Brandon's team are my favorites. I also think they are the best dancers.  I don't know why Adam is even on the panel.  When is this scheduled to end? You would think they would have a double elimination. 

• Love 1

I'm not sure how many weeks there are, but I know the finals is 4 pairings, so I think we only have two more couples to eliminated first.  So I guess there are three shows left unless next is a double?

Last night's was eh for me. I think because it was juniors choice there felt like there was less ballroom and more hip hop/jazz?  Which I like hip hop, but I guess I just wanted to see more ballroom.

I was trying to figure out why Lindsay and Rylee couldn't just go to the Blackish set and work with Miles in his downtime, which there is obviously tons of on set, but I assume his inability to practice was more about child labor laws and that Blackish was eating up all of his time he was allowed to practice.  Because Blackish isn't keeping him on set until late night hours.  1/2 hour network comedies don't work like that.

I always feel like Sky/JT are a tad underscored and underappreciated by the judges.  Sky's routine wasn't perfect, but her routines are always extremely full of actual ballroom content that is executed pretty dang well considering her age and etc.  Samba is hard for adult celebs, let alone kids.

From an ability standpoint, Akash should have left before some of the previous kids but that's not his fault.  Cuteness will get you somewhere on this show.

Adam is a useless judge, but IMO so is Val. I can't think of one helpful comment Val made last night.  Then again Mandy didn't say much either and she's usually pretty good.  I guess they wanted to build up the kids since they had some input into the songs/routines/styles, but you can still offer any sort of technique critique.  I have no idea if this show will be back, but if it is I hope they replace Adam.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Just finished watching the first dance now. Lindsay......when did Hip Hop become Jazz???

I won't comment on the rest of the jazz dances since you've only seen the first one.  I did notice that in the adult show, jazz is basically a free for all.  You see dancers doing jazz, Broadway, hip-hop, jive, or bits of other ballroom dances.  It just depends on the song that they get.  Even contemporary means something for the show although it usually just means angsty flaily numbers.  But at least, you know what to expect for contemporary where you never know with jazz.

ETA - I agree that it was time for Akash to go. 

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, spanana said:

I'm not sure how many weeks there are, but I know the finals is 4 pairings, so I think we only have two more couples to eliminated first.  So I guess there are three shows left unless next is a double?

Last night's was eh for me. I think because it was juniors choice there felt like there was less ballroom and more hip hop/jazz?  Which I like hip hop, but I guess I just wanted to see more ballroom.

I was trying to figure out why Lindsay and Rylee couldn't just go to the Blackish set and work with Miles in his downtime, which there is obviously tons of on set, but I assume his inability to practice was more about child labor laws and that Blackish was eating up all of his time he was allowed to practice.  Because Blackish isn't keeping him on set until late night hours.  1/2 hour network comedies don't work like that.

I always feel like Sky/JT are a tad underscored and underappreciated by the judges.  Sky's routine wasn't perfect, but her routines are always extremely full of actual ballroom content that is executed pretty dang well considering her age and etc.  Samba is hard for adult celebs, let alone kids.

From an ability standpoint, Akash should have left before some of the previous kids but that's not his fault.  Cuteness will get you somewhere on this show.

Adam is a useless judge, but IMO so is Val. I can't think of one helpful comment Val made last night.  Then again Mandy didn't say much either and she's usually pretty good.  I guess they wanted to build up the kids since they had some input into the songs/routines/styles, but you can still offer any sort of technique critique.  I have no idea if this show will be back, but if it is I hope they replace Adam.

I’m totally with you! 

Miles’ schedule was a bummer and I felt bad for him because it was obvious he wanted to be dancing. In addition to child labor laws, Miles also has to go to school on set AND get from point A to B in lovely LA traffic. I was still really impressed with that he accomplished in such a limited amount of time spent in person with Lindsay and Rylee. It also helps that I really like the kid and think he’s the best male “junior celeb” dancer. 

I couldn’t agree more re: Sky and JT’s scores. Her samba technique was better than Alexis Renn’s last week! JT is a brilliant dancer in his own right too - he’s so, so good! 

I suspect TPTB thought Ariana would have this season in the bag & didn’t think Sky & JT would give anyone a run for their money. Kudos to everyone on Team Alan!

I actually cringed watching Akash during the Charleston. I like him so much more than Joe & Bobby, but he is definitely the “Joe” in terms of ability. I am impressed with Akash’s courage to participate in something quite outside his comfort zone, but it’s just painful to watch him at this point.

Adam’s “season” was only four weeks; everyone who danced last night had already danced longer on the show and had more training & teaching, than he ever did. Perhaps it was because I had “This is week 5!” in the back of my head, but I found Adam to be extra terrible when speaking and very inconsistent in scoring.

When Val & Mandy were dancing as the show came back from a commercial, and Adam was moving around like one of the guys from “Night at the Roxbury”, it had never been more obvious that this guy had no business being a judge on the show. I know time off in the summer is precious for many celebs, so I’d imagine finding the ideal person was a major challenge and they settled on Adam. Val has sucked as a judge too, but I am willing to tolerate him because he’s actually a dancer. He can work on being much more specific next time because he’s actually a dancer.

As someone who doesn’t care for Frankie as a dancer or this season as a host (he always talks/moves/acts like he has to use the bathroom and can’t wait for the commercial break), I think he’d have been a much better judge than Adam this season. Maybe the optics would have been funky with Jordan hosting and Frankie judging, but anyone other than Adam would’ve been better. The kids don’t need to run to the Sky Box; they can receive their scores in the ballroom with Jordan.

If the show comes back, I wonder about future judges. Is ABC trying to “mirror the formula” of Len, Bruno & CAI?

I don’t mean to imply that for “Bruno”, there must be an openly gay male judge, but someone who has some experience in performing and choreography. I think part of Adam’s problem with being a bad judge is that he truly has no idea what he’s talking about. Does Adam even choreograph his own skating routines? 

Also, I don’t know if I like a different kiddo grabbing the mic each week and thanking XYZ or sending a message to ABC. I’m the very first one to say that while I appreciate the sentiment of gratitude (it’s so refreshing these days), it now looks like one Junior each week wants to have a “Microphone Moment.” If it’s genuinely off the cuff and authentic, I’m OK with it. I just hope it doesn’t become a “thing.” I know these Juniors are much more mature than their non-celeb/non-dancer peers, so I am interested in hearing more from them, except for Mackenzie. I never watched Dance Moms, so I don’t even know who she is, but I’m not a fan.

As a teacher, I’m around 14 year olds all of the time. They’re not as self-aware as they should be, and are all about themselves,  but even they know how vain & self-promoting it is for someone to dance to a song that they also sing. I understood her motive, but I personally think it’s so tacky. I know she’s hustling to promote herself, but it’s too bad none of the remaining Juniors wanted to dance to her song; that would’ve been a much less obnoxious approach to selling single on iTunes.

When Mackenzie speaks, I also recognize that she’s ventured out into the Kartrashian frequency area with her use of “like” in addition to using “...so...” to attempt to finish her sentences, something most 14 year olds do use. I don’t know her story and I don’t know her personally. She probably speaks like that at home with her family, which is fine. However, if she’s going to try to make a go of this “Hollywood thing”,  someone (a manager, an agent, a parent) needs to step in, dole out some honest feedback and send her to elocution lessons or a public speaking course at her local community college.

Edited by Bridget
Maddie & Mackenzie are different people...I think...haha
  • Love 8
59 minutes ago, Bridget said:

I actually cringed watching Akash during the Charleston. I like him so much more than Joe & Bobby, but he is definitely the “Joe” in terms of ability. I am impressed with Akash’s courage to participate in something quite outside his comfort zone, but it’s just painful to watch him at this point.

I didn't cringe but the difference to me is I expect adult contestants to be self aware if they aren't good dancers.  People like Joe and Bobby know they aren't good and there is no need to sugarcoat it.  I don't expect anyone to be telling Akash he sucks.  They can show he isn't as good as the others by virtue of his scores, and they have done that for the most part, but I don't expect Akash to be self aware about his abilities versus the others.  If he were a little older and Mandla's age, then sure.  So I don't know that I think Akash knows he isn't good and I'm not really sure that is Witney's discussion to have with him....and yes, I know it's taped and the whole thing is said and done already.   I don't believe in the everyone deserves a participation medal theory but with little kids I expect the self awareness to be lacking.  But either way, good on him for getting out there and going for something like this.

It might be why I felt everyone looked a little shocked Jason left last night.  Not that Jason was a fantastic dancer but he had the ability to at least pick up choreo and generally execute it with loads of confidence.  I assume at least the older kids and some of the mentors assumed Akash would leave since I feel like his scores last night were decently lower than the others.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 3

Just finished watching the show. Just few comments.....

Hip Hop seems to be the new Jazz. That's all about that.

Sky and JT are certainly underscored. Val gives glorious comments about Samba content and spot on technique then scores them an 8???? What's with Adam's 7????? Ridiculous!

Cheryl choreographs a Cha Cha which, to me, was not recognizable as a Cha Cha. Where was the content? The judges LOVED it. What am I missing?????

• Love 4

Well I'm clearly biased because miles and Ariana are my favorites, but one of the things that I've noticed is that JT and Sky are also pretty much the same height and size. Almost every other team was working with either the girl being taller or older or vice versa. optically they look better together just because they are more uniform but honestly  I don't get excited when I watch them dance. There are other dancers that are technically not as good but way more exciting. I always feel guilty because although I didn't watch from the start I would guess Miles has some dance Eeperience but then I console myself by saying it's not like they've ever cared about that on one of these shows before and I'm sure he's not the only one. All of the kids are super cute and at this point I would be happy if any of them win but I still want my favorites to win haha. Akash is just adorable

• Love 1

Ok, as much as I like Jordan as the host, can he please figure out something else to say other than "so good"?

Miles, Mandla, and Ariana were the best dances for me tonight, but just as a side note, I absolutely can't stand the sticking out the tongue thing.

While I still feel that Sky should be a lock for the finals, I kind of feel like she missed the mark with this one.

Now that Jason is gone, Mackenzie and Akash should be the next to go. Akash is cute and has a great personality, but the dancing just isn't there.

If they do another season of this, I hope they replace Adam as a judge.

• Love 3

I can't tell if the judges are just pressed for time so they don't give actual critiques or they don't want to hurt the kids' feelings. If this show comes back, it needs a 2 hr time slot or at least an hour and a half imo. 

Anyways, I absolutely loved Ariana's dance and thought it had a good blend of hip hop and jazz compared to the other "jazz" dances. Only time I'm agreeing with Adam's score lol

Speaking of Adam...what is with him and his dislike of Sky? He always seems to underscore her for whatever reason. That dance had a very rough start but absolutely no way that was deserving of a 7. I thought she nailed the rest of the dance once the chorus kicked in. Her and JT seem to be a match made in heaven. So well paired.

I think Mandla has potential, but he's constantly held back by Cheryl's subpar choreo. Idk why, but recently her choreo hasn't been the best even on the main show (too much reliance on troupe).

Akash should be the next to go. He's obviously outclassed by everyone else at this point. He's adorable, but that can only take you so far.

• Love 4

I was sad to see  Jason go.  He was such a pleasure to watch.

Tell me again why Mackenzie is still there?  They look like grown-ups crashing a kids party, and I enjoy watching the kids!

ugh.

Edited by JerseyGirl
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, JerseyGirl said:

Tell me again why Mackenzie is still there?  They look like grown-ups crashing a kids party

I agree - she should have been on the adult version. She is the same age as Laurie Hernandez was when she competed on the regular show! Not only that, she has tons of dance experience! I don't see how this is fair for her to be dancing against little kids who have no dance experience. I think the age limit should have been 13.

My favorites were Miles, Arianna and Skye. I feel like they knocked Arianna down last show just to build her up this show, and personally, I didn't see any difference in quality between the two weeks. I absolutely hate the thought that they are doing this on purpose to manipulate results considering these are little kids - just let them dance and give appropriate feedback! I think Miles was the one who deserved the 10 - his dance had more complicated choreography than Arianna's and I think he executed it better. And that after not being able to practice with them all week!

I am still enjoying this show more than the adult version!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

I absolutely hate the thought that they are doing this on purpose to manipulate results

Same here..Knowing the coming results and suspiciously low score for Sky this week, the conspiracy theory really could be happening. I’ll wait until next week’s results before actually making that conclusion though.

Edited by galax9845

I think the only thing that hindered Sky is the other kids came up with big concepts for their dance (or so we are led to believe) whereas she just had a song she really liked and wanted to dance to but there was no overall story or concept to the dance.  Also the song wasn’t really meant to be a samba, which she said something about online. Where she thanked Alan for finding a way for them to dance to the song she loved and wanted to dance to even if it didn’t overly fit the dance.  She wasn’t complaining just I guess Alan must have told her the song didn’t fit.

7 hours ago, JerseyGirl said:

Tell me again why Mackenzie is still there?  They look like grown-ups crashing a kids party, and I enjoy watching the kids!

ugh.

Exactly! Mackezie and Sage look out of place on this show. I don't get the hype over Mackenzie anyway. She's so bland and doesn’t have an ounce of the personality these other kids have. The younger kids are so much more fun to watch.

• Love 9
On 11/13/2018 at 7:20 PM, PumpkinLumpkin said:

I don't get the hype over Mackenzie anyway. She's so bland and doesn’t have an ounce of the personality these other kids have.

I agree...and I feel sorry for her--in her sister's shadow for all those years on Dance Moms and then her sister comes on this show and shows that she's the superior dancer.  It's also sad that she NEEDS to be in showbiz so badly.   Those Dance Moms didn't do most of those kids any favors.

• Love 6

Just saw poor MacKenzie (sp?) dance and listened to the critiques.   I hope her parents (her mother?) helps her plan for college and a career she can count on.  There will be lots of places for her to participate in singing and dancing...various community theaters (even college), churches, etc.   I am so sorry for her.

Edited by HaaCHOO