Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: Lele pū nā manu like (Birds of a Feather...)

• Start Topic

Thanksgiving brings Grover’s parents (guest stars Louis Gossett Jr. and Gladys Knight) and brother Percy, Jr. (Clifton Powel) to Oahu for a visit tainted by sibling rivalry, and Five-0 investigates a thief who was crushed to death by an empty safe. The episode was written by series star Chi McBride.

Original Airdate: November 16, 2018

SOURCE: https://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=51244

So big brother moves to town, I wonder if the folks have any more kids in Chicago or if we can get more Gladys Knight and Lou Gossett Jr? 

The McGarrett hero worship of Stan Musial going into the service was a bit much. Steve was acting like Musial really had a choice. His couple of years older contemporary Ted Williams was called up a second time and went kicking and screaming into combat in Korea.

"Sorry {daughter's name} couldn't make it--she's studying for a big test". "Sorry {daughter} couldn't be here. She would have loved this". "Shame {daughter} couldn't be here. It's just not the same without her". "Too bad {daughter} has a sinus infection and couldn't fly in." "{Daughter} decided she'd rather spend Thanksgiving with friends than family. Teenagers!" Did anyone hear any line similar to those to acknowledge that the daughter exists????? I mean, one lousy line to explain why the daughter (forgot her name. At least I remembered she exists; the writer (yes, you Chi) seems to have forgotten) wasn't there would have been nice. We got a "why Danno wasn't there" line, why not the daughter, especially since the episode was centered around Lou's family!!!!

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, illdoc said:

"Sorry {daughter's name} couldn't make it--she's studying for a big test". "Sorry {daughter} couldn't be here. She would have loved this". "Shame {daughter} couldn't be here. It's just not the same without her". "Too bad {daughter} has a sinus infection and couldn't fly in." "{Daughter} decided she'd rather spend Thanksgiving with friends than family. Teenagers!" Did anyone hear any line similar to those to acknowledge that the daughter exists????? I mean, one lousy line to explain why the daughter (forgot her name. At least I remembered she exists; the writer (yes, you Chi) seems to have forgotten) wasn't there would have been nice. We got a "why Danno wasn't there" line, why not the daughter, especially since the episode was centered around Lou's family!!!!

Samantha, I think.

She’s probably off partying w/Grace.

8 minutes ago, preeya said:

Where was Danno?

In New Jersey. Yes, that was the line. Steve: "With Danny in New Jersey,..." I assume Danny was spending Thanksgiving with his family. Grace & Charlie probably went with him.

• Love 1

The actress who plays Mrs. Grover is very beautiful, and young Will is growing to be a fine looking young man.  Louis Gossett Jr. was a treasure when explaining what deep, abiding love really was, and Gladys Knight was perfect.  But I spent most of the episode wanting to slap Lou and his brother, so I have no idea how Gladys Knight restrained herself...I

Tani's insult about how how an old man with cataracts couldn't make the right call, then Steve's rebuke about saying such things about Mamo, then Tani's genuine "I would never treat Mamo like that!  I was talking to you!" cracked me the hell up.

• Love 4

Last year didn't Grover's son want to be a chef or something.  Why wasn't he wanting to help with dinner. I also would have liked a mention of the daughter something that knowledge that she exists. 

Nothing says comedy like 2 men and their men acting like children.  Oh wait it was horrible. 

The football game was nice but the case was super lame. The rich guy wouldn't pay for Thanksgiving dinner so I stole from him and completely ignored the dead guy who was also stealing.  Why not steal money and not some random baseball card.

• Love 1

It was a 7/10. And really think that the football game could had put in Danny and Duke but one of them had to be working meaning the Sgt reinstated as in Duke. Poor guy.

Yeah the two men acting like kids. I mean Gladys Knight and Louis Gossett Jr deserve better guest roles. As they were limited to being like on the bench.

Yeah to Grover's son, wonder why he was not helping in the kitchen and needing to be a chef. But maybe that reality TV with the father and uncle would be LOL!

Miss it when Danny is not there or Scott Caan. Less and less of McGrover as really the producers separated that part.

Playing any game of pick up sports with these people seems like the last thing I'd want to do. No offense to the actor, but wow, Tani, that is not how one throws a football. At least take a few reps first. And who has a ref at a pickup game? 

Honestly, I know Lou's family doesn't know he literally kidnapped and killed someone, but I think he'd be made of tougher stuff to let the brother get under his skin so easily at this point. 

Good casting for the brother though.

You know if you're telling me someone works 50 hours a week and still can cook dinner for you, then maybe you need to pitch in. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

Nothing says comedy like 2 men and their men acting like children. 

On the holiday nonetheless. Oh, and someone burnt something!

Edited by ganesh
13 hours ago, Raja said:

Steve was acting like Musial really had a choice. His couple of years older contemporary Ted Williams was called up a second time and went kicking and screaming into combat in Korea.

I think Mays got drafted too. Yeah, they weren't volunteering. Turns out they were good at what they did, but still.

29 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I think Mays got drafted too. Yeah, they weren't volunteering. Turns out they were good at what they did, but still.

Well to be fair, the US stopped accepting volunteers in 1942 to insure a constant and reliable stream of manpower on schedule. Still Stan Musial, and  Willie Mays, played baseball for the Navy and Army in their service when drafted, the back door deal offered to Muhammad Ali during Vietnam which he refused. Ted Williams trained as a  Marine fighter pilot but Japan surrendered before he was deployed  and when Korea started he was called up and resisted the orders before flying combat missions when his appeals were rejected

• Love 1

I found lots of good laugh lines in this episode. Tani being snarky about the dead guy was great along with her line about Steve's cataracts.

They glossed over the amazing coincidence of two burglaries at the same house in one night. The guy who got squished was an airport shuttle driver so he knew the house would be empty. But guy number two was just an extreme good Samaritan who decided to rob this dude of a rare baseball card so he could feed the less fortunate? Okay...

I found the Grover family shenanigans mostly pointless although I do appreciate the depth added to Grover's family and his backstory. The scene with the grandpa and Grover's son was great. Respect looks like fear to the young man and it is fear but not in the way he thinks.

Overall I've seen worse episodes of 5-0. Good ensembles here, with Jerry and Adam teaming up and Junior and Tani leading an investigation without any contrived romantic tension between them. I wouldn't have liked the episode as much without the humor.

• Love 1

I like holiday episodes, and I don't think any family holiday is complete without a fight and some crying (or at the very least some gritted teeth and mighty sighing), so I enjoyed this one.

Al Harrington has lost a lot of weight since we saw him last. I hope that was intentional and not because he's sick. He looks good, though.

13 hours ago, dwmarch said:

But guy number two was just an extreme good Samaritan who decided to rob this dude of a rare baseball card so he could feed the less fortunate?

And paid way undermarket for a one time deal. Don't get the full value and invest so you can pay for thanksgiving every year. 

• Love 1

"I need to feed people for Thanksgiving, so I'm going to rob some dude, just because he didn't donate this year -- no, I don't care why not!  And not only am I going to ignore the dead guy, I'm going to ignore the nice bag he made, and spend time on a safe, but only take this one card, which can only be unloaded at one spot.  What could possibly go wrong????"

Ya know, Grover, maybe your brother doesn't want to move to Hawaii, or to work for someone else (especially Kamekona -- no way I'd want to work for him).  He wants to open his own bakery in Chicago, which you'd know if you listened for 5 minutes.  But as usual, 5-0 knows better what's best for someone than they do themselves.