Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Staten Island, Part 2

• Start Topic

Ray isn't done cleaning up the fallout from his jump; there's a witness willing to give answers that could rock Mac and Ray's worlds. Mickey's heart attack forces the family to wrestle with what could be their father's final days.

Promo:

Original air date: 11/4/18

Ok, now that Ray has gotten some of the angst out of his system, it's back to fixing things, but New York style.  I love the way he got rid of both the Samoan and the soon-to-be-mayor banger.  Nicely played.

No way Bridget is going to marry Cancer boy.  Her initial reaction said it all, and her call to her father showed his lack of concern, so there's no good "fuck you, daddy" ammo there.  Besides, If you're not legally able to drink champagne at your own wedding, you're too young.  It may drag on a bit, but she'll figure it out. 

It was so obvious Bunch was going to steal Mickey some way.  The hammer surprised me, I'll admit.  

Edited by leighdear

I think this episode was one of the best of this series so far. I also think that Liev Schreiber did some of his best acting ever in this episode. He was so beaten down, so depressed, so consumed with angst and pain... yet he was able to pull it together and get back to what he does best. He is a "fixer" and a cold methodical killer with no compassion for his dying father. The man is unforgiving and emotionless. 

Damn, this episode was great! 

• Love 6

The bullet to the back of the Samoan's head doesn't fit the crime scene.
I love how the writer's of most of these shows take extreme liberties with geographical locations and traveling about them. Ray is from Boston, lived in California, and travels around the five boroughs of New York better and faster than any lifelong resident would.

Best lines of the episode:

Terry: Think we should fly out there?

Ray: What for?

Terry: I don't know. Say good-bye. Make sure we got no regrets.

Ray: I don't got any regrets. You?

Terry: No.

Ray: Fuck him.

• Love 4

Ray and Bridget’s call was sweet.  My dad is also a man of few words (although, to my knowledge, he’s never killed anyone lol) and that call rang really true to me.  

Darn it, shaggy scruffy Ray is really doing it for me.  Not that I’ll be too sad to see spiffy fit Ray come back, I’m sure.

• Love 2

Crime scene is whack. Does Ray even know who this guy is? He could be Tony Soprano's rich cousin. Or something.

And don't get me started on the medical stuff. People are not cars- you do not jump start them. Those paddles (that no one in medicine has used in 20 years) are little electric chairs. You put electricity into a heart it stops. Nicotine is also really deadly in large amounts. And he'd be handcuffed to bed all the time and... you get the idea. These are minor quibbles in the grand scheme of things.

Dear Cancer boy. Bridget is not perfect, not even close. SHE will hurt you not the men in her family. Bunchy has used up all his stupid cards with respect to his father, yet he goes in for more.

Still loving Ray the fixer in NYC. He and the cop will keep me interested.

Is it me or does the mayor wanna-be look like Sarandon?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, leighdear said:

Ok, now that Ray has gotten some of the angst out of his system, it's back to fixing things, but New York style.  I love the way he got rid of both the Samoan and the soon-to-be-mayor banger.  Nicely played.

No way Bridget is going to marry Cancer boy.  Her initial reaction said it all, and her call to her father showed his lack of concern, so there's no good "fuck you, daddy" ammo there.  Besides, If you're not legally able to drink champagne at your own wedding, you're too young.  It may drag on a bit, but she'll figure it out. 

It was so obvious Bunch was going to steal Mickey some way.  The hammer surprised me, I'll admit.  

Ray's either an idiot savant at crime scenes or he's just lazy.

He didn't want to cut up that body and clean.  Until he hires the next Avi, he's going to have to come up with these convoluted plots to dispose of bodies.

Well he remembered to delete the sex video but not before checking it out first -- this guy had primo blackmail material but he didn't even password-lock his iPhone or laptop?

But he's going to have to hire Lena back to get rid of the cloud backups!

Bunchey's break out of Mickey.  He's not a strategic thinker.  Cops are going to be after him and Mickey and now he's got a dead prison guard on his rap sheet.

Not too great for his custody battle.

Ray tells Sam there was nothing for him after Abby killed herself.  Bet Bridget and Conor feels great about themselves if they hear that.  So Sam offers him a lot of money and in the previews, he's going to get an apartment and a car.  And the way he leered at that video, he got a thing for the mayor wannabe.

BTW, if she was in 8th place before Sam backed her, why was she being blackmailed by this guy?  Guess she worked in the DA office so he figured he could squeeze her for money?

Oh and FeatureFlix needs a big NYC complex and that is why Sam wants a puppet mayor, to buy up real estate?  Pretty sure Netflix just has office space for employees but all their servers are leased cloud capacity from Amazon Web Services.  In other words, she wouldn't even have to build her own data centers.  So this plot is kind of dumb.

• Love 2

Oh, Bridget. When your initial response to a marriage proposal is to start yelling, "Are you fucking kidding me?" that's not a great sign that this is something you want to do. When your next step is to call your dad to tell him about the proposal and then ask, "What do you think?" it's another sign that maybe you don't really want to marry this guy. My mom has two sisters and they both got engaged within a year of each other. One sister called and said, "Joe proposed! We're getting married!" The other sister called and said, "John proposed. What should I do?" Even though I was still in elementary school at the time, what I learned is that if your response to a marriage proposal is not a whole hearted "FUCK YES!" without the least bit of hesitation, then this isn't the guy for you.

Although Ray's response wasn't the most enthusiastic I've ever heard, at least he was positive about it and he said that all he wants is for her to be happy.

Damn, Ray! Talk about efficient - killing two birds with one stone!

I HATE when people try to guilt trip someone into having a relationship with a shitty parent or saying goodbye before they die. Just because you feel you should do that doesn't mean other people need to do the same. If Bunchy wants to go see Mickey in the hospital, fine. But that doesn't mean he has the right to bully Ray into going too. I'm with Ray - FUCK MICKEY.

I was totally cracking up when Bunchy was describing Mickey to the prison guard guy. He did 20 years in prison, beat his kids, cheated on his wife while she was dying of cancer, and he'd kill you if you looked at him funny. The whole time he was very succinctly summarizing Mickey, I thought dude, do you think this is going to somehow convince the guard that Mickey isn't a total piece of shit?

If the family court judge thought that Bunchy wasn't a fit parent before, hitting a prison guard in the head with a hammer isn't going to help his case.

Connor's getting shipped off to Germany "next month" - best news of the episode! Woo hoo! Hopefully they don't make the whole season last less than a month. Let's do a little time jump of, say, a month, by the next episode.

Something about watching Turk Turkleton eat a burrito while driving down the street crowing about the actress they cast totally cracked me up.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Not to mention the over 12 hour difference in time of death.

And how did the guy's neighbors not hear a gun shot and call the police? 

How did the Fetu walk so far in the apartment and not smell or see the corpse?

I liked seeing the clerk at the hardware store was packing bags, expecting a big purchase and Ray just walks out of the store.

Doesn't the NYPD always require officers to travel with partners? It's too convenient the sarge was alone for all this.

I hope Bunchy doesn't get away with this. 

• Love 2

I think all the conflicting crime scene info is going to work in their favor, so the crime scene folks cant pin something specifically on one particular person.  But that may be flawed thinking. 

I always feel bad for the store clerks that have to go put all that stuff back on the shelves.  I know it's usual for retailers, but still.  

I think I'd rather have Ray bumpin' uglies with Sam than with Anita, even though Anita is closer to his age.  I just like S. Sarandon more and  I adore her voice.

• Love 1

The Bunche/Mickey stuff just totally takes me out of the moment. Bunchy wants his kid back and thinks attempted murder of a LEO is the way to go. And is it really that easy to bust out. They would have an extensive manhunt out for them. It’s just dumb.

I get the character movement of a broken downtrodden Ray but I’m ready for my clean cut suit wearing swagger of a fixer Ray to come back. His quick thinking calm demeanor in any situation is why I love this show (even during its more unrealistic plots). Soooo many holes in his double murder drug deal gone wrong scenario that I won’t even bother to list them all (okay maybe a few, time of death won’t match, no gun residue on EITHER of their hands, zero cell phone contact between these two characters, position of bodies, ugh). 

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, sadie said:

The Bunche/Mickey stuff just totally takes me out of the moment. Bunchy wants his kid back and thinks attempted murder of a LEO is the way to go. And is it really that easy to bust out. They would have an extensive manhunt out for them. It’s just dumb.

I get the character movement of a broken downtrodden Ray but I’m ready for my clean cut suit wearing swagger of a fixer Ray to come back. His quick thinking calm demeanor in any situation is why I love this show (even during its more unrealistic plots). Soooo many holes in his double murder drug deal gone wrong scenario that I won’t even bother to list them all (okay maybe a few, time of death won’t match, no gun residue on EITHER of their hands, zero cell phone contact between these two characters, position of bodies, ugh). 

I think he did actually do this one right - he called the Samoan from the dead guy's phone to set up the meet.  Of course, it was hours after the dude was already dead which should be a problem.  Everything else, so sloppy.  Also, I find it hard to believe that a building with that swanky apartment wouldn't have security cameras showing Ray coming in and out.

Would Bunchy really lose his daughter for drinking too much, to his ex who has been suicidal and committed multiple times in her life?  Maybe her family is backing her up now, they weren't before.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

Is it me or does the mayor wanna-be look like Sarandon?

They look like they could be sisters. 

17 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Not that I’ll be too sad to see spiffy fit Ray come back, I’m sure.

As well as his endless supply of freshly laundered white button down shirts. 

There were a few things in this episode that I’m just going to have to suspend my disbelief on so that I can just enjoy it for what it is. 

Brigit has grown up a lot. In reality their studio apt is pretty big for the city, but it also looked like a throwback to the 1970’s. I doubt she is ever going to marry cancer boy. For the plots convenience his cancer will probably return. It would be too much to ask that Brigit be happy for long. She has the sour face down pat. 

48 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I doubt she is ever going to marry cancer boy. For the plots convenience his cancer will probably return.

Nah, if the cancer returns, she'll definitely marry him so he won't die alone.

I always loved the Ray-Terry scenes. I was hoping we'd seen the last of Bunchy and especially Connah. Mickey's a bad penny. Life imprisonment isn't enough to keep him away. Neither would be death.

I want Lena in NY working w/ Ray. Keep Terry around. I can take a little Bridge. I know I'll have to deal w/ Mick. But I do not care about Bunchy or his spawn, nor do I care about Darryl and his movie. Even if it means missing out on

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

watching Turk Turkleton eat a burrito while driving down the street crowing about the actress

• Love 2
4 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I think he did actually do this one right - he called the Samoan from the dead guy's phone to set up the meet.  Of course, it was hours after the dude was already dead which should be a problem.  Everything else, so sloppy.  Also, I find it hard to believe that a building with that swanky apartment wouldn't have security cameras showing Ray coming in and out.

Would Bunchy really lose his daughter for drinking too much, to his ex who has been suicidal and committed multiple times in her life?  Maybe her family is backing her up now, they weren't before.

Thank you for that piece of info, I guess I missed he called the one guy from the dead guys phone.

So does Sam Winslow own Ray now? Ugh, I'm thinking somebody's going to have to kill this broad eventually.

Not loving the "Daryll does Hollywood" storyline.

Interesting Bunchy would be Mickey's emergency contact. He's not 100% reliable.

Whee, resourceful Ray! He better hope no security cameras caught the Samoan guy showing up in broad daylight though. Ditto comments upthread, the coroner would likely figure out that the other body had already been dead for hours. The police will definitely be looking for a third party in the scenario.

Mickey is unbelievable. He not only had confidence he'd survive the heart attack but also that he'd have a way to escape from the hospital. There were so many places where that plan could've gone wrong, starting with the Bunchy factor.

But he's going to have to hire Lena back to get rid of the cloud backups!

And clean up the phone records.

2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Interesting Bunchy would be Mickey's emergency contact. He's not 100% reliable.

Mickey doesn't have too many other choices left. Ray (who he knows set him up) and Terry are both in NY, as is Bridge. Darryl stole his movie idea from him. That leaves Bunchy or Connah. Given those two options, I'd have to choose Bunchy.

• Love 4

I don't know what it is about this show but here I am, back again. Loved everything about Ray's demeanor during the first two episodes. For example:

• Never refusing a drink / pounding back liquor like its iced tea / liver of steel
  • Hanging up the phone mid conversation
  • Getting up and walking out of the room without saying anything mid conversation

Vintage Ray.

I love this show, despite its myriad flaws. I just wish it was all Ray, all the time. Daryl, Bunchy et al. are taking me out of it at the moment but I'll reserve judgment on Mickey because the character always delivers.

Edited by pfk505
On 11/4/2018 at 7:27 PM, TexasGal said:

Ray and Bridget’s call was sweet.  My dad is also a man of few words (although, to my knowledge, he’s never killed anyone lol) and that call rang really true to me.  

Darn it, shaggy scruffy Ray is really doing it for me.  Not that I’ll be too sad to see spiffy fit Ray come back, I’m sure.

I wonder if he's taken Terry's advice and gone to work out at the gym. (Guessing he hasn't had time yet!)

On 11/11/2018 at 5:08 PM, Puddy said:

Anyone else see the new Spectrum commercial with Mickey and Bunchy?  

It was a pleasant surprise.

I don't have Spectrum, but let me know if you think that YouTube would have it.

Bunchy is making me SO NERVOUS with all this stuff that he's pulling that's just going to screw up his life more. But, I presume Ray will magically fix it.