Type keyword(s) to search

Forged In Fire - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I really wanted to like this show. I started watching season one, & even though I found the actual making of the blades interesting, I found the way the judges tested them to be really stupid. *Slicing through a bag full of sand* "yes, it will cut!", *slicing through a plastic body full of green stuff* "yes, it will kill!", I'm going to pass on the rest of this show.

I find the testing is some of the most educational parts of the show. As many episodes will show, the design and physics of the blade edge can have a huge impact on how a blade performs in the challenge. There are many times it will NOT cut, or it is obviously underperforming compared to the other knives. 

The "plastic body full of green stuff" is usually a ballistics dummy of some sort. Those dummies are specifically designed and made to duplicate a human body in durability and resistance. So if it a blade can easily cut through a dummy, then it certainly will kill. 

Other tests are clearly there to make sure the blade was prepared and forged properly. Chopping a metal nail or bar with a knife may not be something that is normally done; but it will certainly find any flaws in the blade (or the blade edge) as anyone who's heard the distinctive TING! can attest to. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Beat the Judges!

I quite enjoyed it. I wasn't sure how the setup would be but I liked how they did things. Nice to see them mix it up.

Watching Ben work really showed how much his skill level is above most of the other contestants. They are going to have to bring back some top-level past winners to compete against J. and Dave. I can't wait to see them in action.

I dig the facial hair on Wil. 

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Beat the Judges!

I quite enjoyed it. I wasn't sure how the setup would be but I liked how they did things. Nice to see them mix it up.

Watching Ben work really showed how much his skill level is above most of the other contestants. They are going to have to bring back some top-level past winners to compete against J. and Dave. I can't wait to see them in action.

I dig the facial hair on Wil. 

I really enjoyed this one, too. Seeing how the masters do  it. Let's go!

It was a pleasure seeing Ben do his craft so beautifully. He tells us what he's thinking and how he has planned to do his damascus. He instructs while working.

On a side note, I kind of wish they'd do blades other than battle weapons or hunting type knives. I watch a lot of competitive cooking shows like Top Chef, Masterchef, Chopped. Does Forged in Fire ever ask them to make a Santoku knife? Butcher knife? Something I might use?

• Love 3
On 6/4/2020 at 11:40 PM, TexasTiffany said:

I really enjoyed this one, too. Seeing how the masters do  it. Let's go!

It was a pleasure seeing Ben do his craft so beautifully. He tells us what he's thinking and how he has planned to do his damascus. He instructs while working.

On a side note, I kind of wish they'd do blades other than battle weapons or hunting type knives. I watch a lot of competitive cooking shows like Top Chef, Masterchef, Chopped. Does Forged in Fire ever ask them to make a Santoku knife? Butcher knife? Something I might use?

No, I don't think they've ever done kitchen knives. It's possible they did once or twice, but I don't remember.  There was one contestant who said he typically made Kitchen knives, and he made a beautiful knife that had a really unfortunate failure during testing.

Having said all that, watching this show made me look around on the internet for kitchen knife makers.  I follow a few on IG, I get newsletters from a couple of them with their monthly knife sales.  They're all small forges and make beautiful knives.  They're VERY expensive generally speaking, but I did treat myself to a couple of them.  I have to say, they are the best knives I've ever owned. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

J. Nielson got beat! Burt Foster is exactly the kind of champion needed to beat the judges at their own game, lol. The damascus camp knife he made for the first round of the competition was gorgeous.

• Love 3

This was a fun episode, especially after the disqualification

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

let down of last week last week.  I enjoyed that Burt and J know each other and were comfortable razzing each other while they were forging. 

Sorry about the spoiler boxes.  I don't know what I touched to include it, but every time I try to remove it I just create another one. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

J. Nielson got beat! Burt Foster is exactly the kind of champion needed to beat the judges at their own game, lol. The damascus camp knife he made for the first round of the competition was gorgeous.

I was going to say the same thing about the knife he brought. Just wow.  All three guys brought really excellent knives. He smashed those blades into fire bricks and "No damage". 

Burt was one of the guys from the early seasons, when they were still trotting out master smiths as opposed to the recent versions of "part time bladesmith" we see now.  I wouldn't be against seeing a whole bunch of those guys again with the new time constraints.  

• Love 3

Really enjoying BTJ but J.Nielson has been so underwhelming as a competitor. Burt Foster was a great opponent and definitely someone who could beat a judge but it wasn't even close, he beat J. roundly. J won the 2nd one the other night but I feel like his sword looked so sloppy compared to what we've seen both Ben and Dave produce in the other episodes also his blade couldn't even cut in the sandman sharpness test. He seems very rushed whereas Ben and Dave both seem to be moving methodically. I wonder does the pressure just get to him but you'd think hes been around cameras filming the show for so long that he'd be used to it. He was the one that I thought would absolutely wipe the floor with people but so far Ben and Dave seem much more competent

• Love 2

David Baker is incredibly talented. The two swords he’s created would have beaten most of the stuff people have turned in after four days at home; I’m so impressed!

I do think Jay has been impacted by the competition side of it, whereas we already know that Ben deals with the time well. This show is a lot like Top Chef in that respect. People can be amazingly talented but not do well with the clock + specific constraints. 

• Love 5
On 7/3/2020 at 10:34 AM, JTMacc99 said:

I do think Jay has been impacted by the competition side of it, whereas we already know that Ben deals with the time well. This show is a lot like Top Chef in that respect. People can be amazingly talented but not do well with the clock + specific constraints.

Except I remember reading that the way the show tests how "doable" the challenges are is that J or Ben does the 1st/2nd round challenge and David Baker does the historical recreation challenge.   So none of the judges should be a stranger to time and material constraints.

I am surprised that they make a big deal out of "who will be the judge you compete against" during the episode and yet they consistently spoil it in the teasers.  Definitely a case of the left hand not know what the right hand is doing. 

• Love 1
On 7/3/2020 at 11:34 AM, JTMacc99 said:

David Baker is incredibly talented. The two swords he’s created would have beaten most of the stuff people have turned in after four days at home; I’m so impressed!

On 7/5/2020 at 6:57 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Except I remember reading that the way the show tests how "doable" the challenges are is that J or Ben does the 1st/2nd round challenge and David Baker does the historical recreation challenge.   So none of the judges should be a stranger to time and material constraints.

@JTMacc99 I agree, I think creating a knife under the conditions of time limits, material restrictions and in front of the camera can be overwhelming for some. 

@Quilt Fairy yes but it's not in front of the camera. I'm sure it's a lot different when it's just "me and the guys" vs. this will be on national TV. Add to that a competitor who has created knifes under those stressful conditions and you're doubly stressed. I'm glad to see that he is not infallible, and I think he even said it's a lot different on 'this' side of the camera. I haven't lost any respect for him, love watching these people make something out of lump of metal!  

• Love 1

When I first started watching this show, the closed captioning said, "It will kill." Now it (and all the competitors,, plus the lovely Doug Mercaido) says, "It will KEAL." That cracks me up, but it also makes me wonder if some viewers complained about the terminology. I mostly watch this show to watch Doug do the KEAL tests and to keep me company while I'm working around the house. I like watching how to do stuff without a lot of artificial drama. I like how the competitors are polite and respectful to each other with no nasty trash talking.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, magpye29 said:

When I first started watching this show, the closed captioning said, "It will kill." Now it (and all the competitors,, plus the lovely Doug Mercaido) says, "It will KEAL."

I don't remember where I saw this, but some years ago Doug was interviewed and he said that he was indeed saying "KEAL" and that "It will KEAL" is an acronym for "Keep Everyone ALive".

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, BexKeps said:

@Quilt Fairy, I haven't watched yet, but why is Will not doing it? 

They didn't say why on the show, but the rumors on the internet are that he wants to spend more time with his wife and their son, who was born earlier this year.  Nothing has been confirmed.

The new guy has no charisma, just a really loud voice. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, scriggle said:

New guy is rather humorless imho.

My first impression is the atmosphere on the show now is everyone has to be really serious. The judges were all business and no laughs. I greatly enjoy when David Baker is making puns, and Doug is telling a joke. Maybe a few more episodes with Grady Powell and everyone will loosen up again. That first episode was like a nun with a big ruler standing ready to crack the knuckles of anyone smiling or having fun. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Somehow my DVR did not record the new episodes so I had to reset my recording and will have to catch them On Demand. The comments leave me skeptical though, as the chemistry and humor between Wil and the judges has always been a highlight for me. Hmmm.

@TIHZHO, I know what you mean. I recorded a marathon of past season episodes over the summer and have been watching them for the last couple months. I would be interested to know how long it is between when you apply and when you get your date for the competition. I would have to imagine it would be a few months so during those few months I'd be setting up a timer, finding weird metals to forge a blade with, test out different methods of forging, and make a few different styles of blades and handles just to get a feel for it. Seems like most of the Bladesmiths just walk on with an "I do it my way" attitude.

• Love 3
On 12/2/2020 at 12:39 AM, TIHZHO said:

I've been watching Forged in Fire for quite a while now and it amazes me how many contestants seem like they never watched the show. 

On 12/2/2020 at 8:15 AM, BexKeps said:

@TIHZHO, I know what you mean. I recorded a marathon of past season episodes over the summer and have been watching them for the last couple months. I would be interested to know how long it is between when you apply and when you get your date for the competition. I would have to imagine it would be a few months so during those few months I'd be setting up a timer, finding weird metals to forge a blade with, test out different methods of forging, and make a few different styles of blades and handles just to get a feel for it. Seems like most of the Bladesmiths just walk on with an "I do it my way" attitude.

Plus, in anticipation of getting to the third round, I'd preemptively go over all my home forge equipment and make sure everything was mechanically sound and recently maintained, I had at least a 4 day supply of fuel for the forge on hand, was reasonably sure that the extra activity wasn't going to overload the electrical system, and had good fire suppression equipment handy. All these things have caused a few unwelcome surprises.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, CoderLady said:

I had at least a 4 day supply of fuel for the forge on hand

LOL, I remember the guy who didn't have enough fuel, really???? Yes to all that you said @CoderLady, I have no problem with competitors whose home forges don't have a Big Blue or who use a coal forge but at least make sure what you do have is in good working order before you leave. 

I've watched a couple episodes with the new guy @TexasTiffany is right, there isn't a lot of humor. New guy doesn't exude the same excitement that Will did either, he seems a bit lost. Hoping he gets better. 

• Love 3
On 12/2/2020 at 10:15 AM, BexKeps said:

so during those few months I'd be setting up a timer, finding weird metals to forge a blade with, test out different methods of forging, and make a few different styles of blades and handles just to get a feel for it.

You're so right.  After this many seasons (as well as contestants who state they got interesting in blade making from the show), it's ridiculous for someone to say "I've never actually done *insert technique*."   I was going to give them a pass on some of the bizarre metal-harvesting the show makes them do because you'd never do that in real life,, but I've changed my mind.  Surely once it's confirmed you're going on the show it's easy enough to go to a junkyard and look at random stuff and analyze what's hard steel vs. soft steel and what part of that lawnmower or snow-blower or car frame you'd use if you had to. 

I'd definitely learn how to do freaking canister Damascus (and make sure the White-Out is dry!).  

• Love 6
On 12/15/2020 at 1:36 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

You're so right.  After this many seasons (as well as contestants who state they got interesting in blade making from the show), it's ridiculous for someone to say "I've never actually done *insert technique*."   I was going to give them a pass on some of the bizarre metal-harvesting the show makes them do because you'd never do that in real life,, but I've changed my mind.  Surely once it's confirmed you're going on the show it's easy enough to go to a junkyard and look at random stuff and analyze what's hard steel vs. soft steel and what part of that lawnmower or snow-blower or car frame you'd use if you had to. 

I'd definitely learn how to do freaking canister Damascus (and make sure the White-Out is dry!).  

Or skip the White-Out and just grind off the canister.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

That's usually done as a last resort, IIRC. 

A few times folks doing canisters have skipped the White-out and the judges have said it's a good idea - enough times where my husband and I wonder why the contestants even bother using White-out.

2 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

A few times folks doing canisters have skipped the White-out and the judges have said it's a good idea - enough times where my husband and I wonder why the contestants even bother using White-out.

How many times do the contestants lavish loads of White-out in the cannister and immediately before it dries they up start filling and of course the White-out gets all over the pieces they're loading? Later they get all delaminations so they're scratching their head onto "how did this happen?" lol

Another thing that's starting to be a small annoyance, to me at least is too much heavy metal guitar underscores - its getting to be MAD MAX Fury Road! Why not just have "The Doof Warrior" slamming away on the guitar spouting fire on the side of the forge and be done with it? 

I grew up with Black Sabbath so its not like I don't like the genre. It has its place...and then .. 👇?

Mad Max Fury Road.jpg

History Channel Canada has finally started the new season. Clearly it's a post-COVID with all the new restrictions and distancing, and a new host. There are some growing pains as people adjust to all the new requirements (no more "Shake our hands and leave the forge" 😞 ), but it's still the same Forge with the same challenges. 

I will miss Will, but the new guy seems adequate enough for me to keep watching, at least to the post-COVID era. 

3 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Has anyone else seen the Judges' Home Forge Battle?  It's really enjoyable.

It was great! I wouldn't mind the judges doing this again and seeing what they'd come up with in another challenge.

I do think Ben's sword was the most intricate, most difficult, and most awesome of all the judges blades. (it's a replica of a legendary historical sword, but I can't remember the name of it right now) I liked that Ben described what he was doing, why he was doing it a certain way, the pitfalls to watch for, etc. He presented it in such a way that I was enthused to watch him every step, and it made me appreciate his skill and time to create such a beautiful blade. (rather than just showing a finished blade) I found it funny that Ben tells us he likes to listen to country music in his earbuds while grinding. 

J Neilson's task was to make a knife using materials he hasn't used before. He used a different handle material than he's used to using. I think it was a hardened rubber but I'm not really remembering much else since I wasn't impressed. J's portion of the show was more interesting due to his interaction with his wife and dogs. 

David Baker's challenge was a sword with a handguard. He told us he was making the blade damascus since he wanted to push himself and didn't want the other judges chiding him on it later. Of course it turned out great, but I was more interested in seeing his surroundings and wondering why he moved to Virginia, if he lives alone now, etc. 

Ben's forging area looked more like a warehouse. J Neilson's home forge was more like a tool shed. David Baker said he had moved to Virginia and his workshop was still coming together. It's more like a barn style workshop. His "big blue" was being delivered while we watched. All of them had some trouble with filming at home. J's wife did the filming for him so he had help.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, diebartdie said:

That sword Ben made, the Sutton Hoo, was the most beautiful sword Ive ever seen. That was incredible.

It really was.  I wish that all of them had been challenged to do swords.  Between Ben's sword and Dave's basket-hilt (which required that he make a sword first), J's chopper felt less than special.  

• Love 1
On 1/3/2021 at 9:57 AM, diebartdie said:

That sword Ben made, the Sutton Hoo, was the most beautiful sword Ive ever seen. That was incredible.

They got lucky when they hired him.  Just because he was a two time winner didn’t mean he could make good tv.  

Loved his tshirt with the Wil Willis quote. 

• Love 3

Him being a 2xFiF champion was a 'big' deal when he was first brought on board. But now there are multiple multi-champs so it's not really that big a claim. But he was a great nab back then, and the fact that his main "claim to fame" is being a 2xChamp is almost funny now. 

As for the Build at Homes, his knife was gorgeous, as was David's handguard. J's chopper was a bit plain, but his family interactions made up for the simple case. 

I did love David's "My forge is too short" moment. *stabs the ceiling then decides to rotate the sword to better show the guard*

• Love 3

I just discovered this and have been binging it with my knife fanatic husband. We’ve been watching marathons so a smattering of various seasons. I have to ask....do these people not have a ruler or tape measure? OMG, I’m a knitter and quilter and never do anything without a tape measure. 

My husband loves the show but is getting tired of canister Damascus challenges. I love the home forges.....always in places with no obvious zoning. I think a lot of these folks enjoy tooling around in their home shop but never really work with a deadline or with ball bearings.....

ETA: Doug’s home page has a “This will KEAL” banner which made me laugh. 

Edited by Quickbeam
Addition
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

ETA: Doug’s home page has a “This will KEAL” banner which made me laugh. 

Just FYI, that's not him saying "kill" with a joking heavy accent, he's explained that it's an acronym for "Keep Everyone Alive".  Whether that's a bit of retconning on his part, I can't say. 

57 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

I have to ask....do these people not have a ruler or tape measure?

The only one who obviously has a tape measure is David Baker, who wears that tiny one on a watch fob.  As to the contestants, I'm sure they do, but I suspect in the stress of the situation and the time crunch it just gets overlooked.  It's seldom more than an 1/8in or 1/4in.  Alternately, sometimes they know it's too short, but they're at a point where they just can't do anything about it (assuming it's too short) and they submit it anyway because a nice blade that misses one parameter may still pass over a blade that's poorly made. 

In one of the recent episodes (maybe the judges' home forge challenge), J said the first thing he'd do is mark the required length on the anvil.  

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2

Yeah Jay (I think) said one of the first thing he would do is mark the anvil with the needed lengths to make sure you can get it. It's not against the rules, but only 1 person has thoguht to do it to date. I suspect once we get into a newer set of eps more smiths will mark the anvil and take advantage of it. 

The new guy is growing on me; I still miss Will, but the new guy is improving and the old humour and banter between the judges seems to be returning. I think COVID and a host change put the show off-beat for a bit but things are settling down again. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Taeolas said:

The new guy is growing on me; I still miss Will, but the new guy is improving and the old humour and banter between the judges seems to be returning. I think COVID and a host change put the show off-beat for a bit but things are settling down again. 

Agreed, he seems to be getting better with every episode. TBH, in the earlier episodes Will was a bit off at first as well. He definitely got better with each season!

16 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

..always in places with no obvious zoning

The only episode where it seemed like the bladesmith was teetering on starting his neighborhood on fire was the guy who used a satelitte dish for his forge, the fire department showed up and told him he had to move it away from the fence line I believe. I loved the guy but he was a strange bird!