Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: About Time

Bort
  • Start Topic

Chastain is flooded with concert goers when a stampede at a music festival grounds leaves many in need of doctors. As Conrad and Nic race to help Josh Robinson, a professional adventure guide with a long list of prior injuries, Devon works with a musician who swears he is sober, even though his toxicology report suggests otherwise. Meanwhile, Bell stirs the pot when the hospital's revered orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Kit Voss, demands a better resident, Julian works to get her boss on Bell's good side and Winthrop continues to push Conrad to believe he's a changed man.

Airdate: Monday, October 15, 2018

I'm glad Mena is getting back into the surgery and being awesome.  It's great that she has a new surgeon to learn from, too.  I'm looking forward to seeing that relationship develop.

Conrad, you were right about your dad all along.  He has his own agenda and nothing will deter him from it. 

• Love 3

My favorite episode this season (so far, I hope!). This had the S1 feeling I loved so much.

The other episodes were a bit slow to find their stride, this one started strong and never stopped. Not a violin in sight, YAY. A guitar, but the Bell shenanigans and threat looming over Conrad kept the Kleenex at bay.

I loved the opening and the cafeteria scene, with more residents interacting. There was a bit more Conrad/Devon team which was nice. A bit more of an effort here, with Mina/Nic for example, and we're good. Talking about Mina...

MINAAAAAAAAAAAA!  You my  genius, abrasive, sharp-tongued, fantastic you!  "It was rude, but it's accurate." *dies of happiness, girl is truly back*

Everything about Mina's storyline was great. From the moment I saw Dr Nice Butcher with her tools, I knew they'd get along and I'm looking forward to her fight against Austin over Mina. First, because Mina deserved to be fought over and second, because both have abrasive personalities, too, and it promises to be quite interesting.

I liked Dr Nice Butcher, a lot. Rather OTT, but in a funny way for now and anyway, the show isn't really grounded to start with. I thought that she and Bell had a very nice buddy (?) rapport -zero sexy spark, though. I had the feeling that Jane Leeves was "nah, not into that angle", I could be wrong though.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Quo Vadis CEO was Lane's spiritual son. He smells so fishy, I can see his scales.

Austin wasn't impressed and I actually liked him at that moment, or whenever his egotist mask falls and he seems to care about Mina (as a mentor). At other moments, he's insufferable and I cheer people knocking his ego off. He's overcompensating, obviously, but still.

LOL at Bell costing millions to the other hospitals. That's my Magnificent Bastard! Marshall was impressed, or annoyed, but he respected his devious and profitable maneuver. I wonder if Bell lied to the CEO about his past. I hope they won't try to excuse his behavior with a sob story; I liked how they explained he loved surgery before patients, last season.

Jenna Dewan is very pretty, it was pretty hard to miss. I hope she wasn't forced to wear that dress (if it was her choice, more power to her). But the writers were trying to make the interloper sympathetic and it doesn't work for me. She's still in the meh category. If her scenes with Devon are supposed to be cute, it doesn't work either. I still hope Mina does something before the idiot ruins everything.

I was thinking "if the guy drops the lawsuit and apologizes to Conrad out of his good heart, I'll bite" when Marshall twisted the hokey ending in a vintage The Resident move. I'm really interested in his personality. He's obviously still cutthroat and his methods contradict his big discourse of a couple of episodes ago. Does he use evil means for good ends? Does he really want Conrad to be happy, or does he have an ulterior motive ? Is he unable to express his love but by being controlling? I also noticed once more how the actors do have some common features (the eyes, in particular) and are believable as father and son.

Nic and Conrad were cute (I truly envy their die-hard shippers) although I did like how their relationship was used against them. I also like how they're aware that Bell still has Conrad's number, the good guys not being written as completely clueless was something I already appreciated last season.

The storylines seem to be gearing up, and I'm looking forward to their future developments.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Like 1
  • Love 9

On the other hand, Dad is doing Conrad a real favor.  He gets to keep his naivite and his career.  Until he breaks one rule too many.  Hmm favor or not favor?  I dunno but Conrad's going to be righteously pissed if he finds out.  I admire Dad a lot more now.  

The realationship Dynamics were much more subtle tonight, more enjoyable. 

Mina's hoodie sweater was fabulous.  Sales girl cannot be that naive, ewww, she's a Bitch.  And no cuter than the girlfriend he already has.  Sigh.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Quo Vadis CEO was Lane's spiritual son. He smells so fishy, I can see his scales.

I've been annoyed by that med device sales rep this season, and thought she might be there to create cheating drama fro Pravesh.  But it finally clicked this episode that they are highlighting the predatory practices of medical device companies this season, like they highlighted corrupt doctors who over-prescribe treatments and defraud insurance companies at patients' expense last season. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Jenna was smoking in that dress. Don’t cheat, Devon!

I hate ambulance chasing lawyers. I wanted to punch that smug lawyer in the face even though they had a case. But why are internal medicine doctors doing a procedure that usually an IR or vascular doctor does? At least they acknowledged Conrad shouldn’t have burred that guy’s skull.

Mina is awesome, and love seeing Jane Leeves. What a great addition. I like her chemistry with Austin as well, but I like Mina having a new mentor.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

"I am the first of my own line, an ancestor. Not your descendant."

Welcome back to your awesome self Mina! 

Loved the new Eccentric Lady Doc and her dynamics with Bell. She's kinda flirty with him (in a weird hands off kind of way that makes me think it's just the way they banter) but clearly has his number and knows how to keep him in line. He also seems to think very highly of her judging by his expression. Bell rarely respects anyone and I got major respect vibes from him for Eccentric Lady Doc. Excited they are going to let Mina interact with kickass new doc. 

Every time I marvel at how cute and surprisingly functional Connic are and how well they wrote them I am slapped with the reminder that poor Devon is going to be stuck with some lousy cheating storyline. Ugh! Why? You avoided it with the main OTP. Leave Devon alone! 

I like Winthrop for now but I can see why people would disagree with what he did. As very devoted parents Hubs and I cheered "Daddy is awesome" after he finished the chat with the dude in the elevator. Dude got money to help with his life, Conrad gets to believe in the good of humanity and it was probably chump change for old daddy. Everyone wins. I would do the same to protect my kid so I can't fault him here. Conrad was already being sued and the whole situation was unfortunate.

@Happy Harpy you say it perfectly when you called Bell a Magnificent Bastard! That he is!

I was all "Aww" when he talked about his parents and then I jolted and was like "This is Bell!!! They could be moguls living on the beach prosperously with servants and he'd still be able to tell some concocted sob story with a straight face." Lol I love that they can do that to me with this character! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 9

Liked seeing Michael Weston. Wonder how many eps he is in since IMDB is really very lax lately in updating. I like Jane Leeves character a lot. Doesn't take any bull & has a nice side as well.  Conrad's dad I think likes to make money, does not bullsh*t when it comes to business, but loves his son. And this case with the guy.....he says not personal. But killing a guy's career, when you would have died w/out him....no, just no-it is personal.

• Love 1

So there is totally something shady going on between Bell and the doctor from a few episodes ago. The looks when he walked away from the impromptu concert seemed like something.  They both don't like Conrad.

I don't know how i feel about Conrad's dad. Sure he is an ass but he seems to try and put Conrad first. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

@Happy Harpy you say it perfectly when you called Bell a Magnificent Bastard! That he is!

I was all "Aww" when he talked about his parents and then I jolted and was like "This is Bell!!! They could be moguls living on the beach prosperously with servants and he'd still be able to tell some concocted sob story with a straight face." Lol I love that they can do that to me with this character! 

He's one of the best incarnations of the trope, imo. That's why Campbell is so entertaining as a character. He isn't unable of feelings, so I'm able to feel sympathy at times, but his head and his survival instinct always get the last word and remind me he's a villain. I don't want him woobified because it would take away his complexity.

12 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

So there is totally something shady going on between Bell and the doctor from a few episodes ago. The looks when he walked away from the impromptu concert seemed like something. 

The doctor told Conrad he covered for him when Bell asked him who made the first cut. It probably isn't true and he caved in, or Bell found since another way of pressuring him so that he can use Conrad against Marshall.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 3

Didn't Grey's Anatomy do the patient with Auto Brewery syndrome already this season? Or am I thinking of another medical show? In any case, weird that two shows would employ the exact same rare illness storyline so close to each other.

Have to throw in a minor gripe, though...the music festival would never have been called "Hotlanta Music Fest". Nobody here calls it "Hotlanta", lol.

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

Or am I thinking of another medical show? In any case, weird that two shows would employ the exact same rare illness storyline so close to each other.

Not sure about the question since I don't watch GA but The Resident and The Good Doctor had this happen earlier this season as well. Makes me think someone at The Resident is chitchatting. lol

7 minutes ago, TimetoShine said:

Not sure about the question since I don't watch GA but The Resident and The Good Doctor had this happen earlier this season as well. Makes me think someone at The Resident is chitchatting. lol

Wow, I don't watch the Good Doctor, but I just looked back at the Grey's forum, and that was the show I was thinking of. So you're telling me THREE shows did Auto Brewery Syndrome already this season? That's just bizarre.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

Wow, I don't watch the Good Doctor, but I just looked back at the Grey's forum, and that was the show I was thinking of. So you're telling me THREE shows did Auto Brewery Syndrome already this season? That's just bizarre.

Lol, sorry no. The Good Doctor/Resident similar story was different from this one. 

3 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

A couple of years ago, two medical shows did the same storyline, the same week, about a trans patient having a prostate disease...and it was the same actress.

That was Finn from Gilmore Girls, right? The adventure guy who ended up alive but in the wheelchair? When I saw his name in the credits (Tanc Sade), I (falsely) assumed he'd be Colin Hays' son because he's Australian. (I'm pretty sure.) He should have said his stupidest adventure happened with the Life and Death Brigade, lol.

And Michael Weston! I'll always remember him as the guy who terrorized David Fisher on Six Feet Under. Dude was scary as shit and plays those kinds of guys too well. Oh! And I think he terrorized poor Sherlock (Johnny Lee Miller).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/18/2018 at 10:39 AM, WendyM said:

That was Finn from Gilmore Girls, right? The adventure guy who ended up alive but in the wheelchair? When I saw his name in the credits (Tanc Sade), I (falsely) assumed he'd be Colin Hays' son because he's Australian. (I'm pretty sure.) He should have said his stupidest adventure happened with the Life and Death Brigade, lol.

Yup, that was Finn. A Life and Death Brigade comment would have made me laugh.

I have the unpopular opinion of not caring about Nic and Conrad as a couple. 

On 10/16/2018 at 5:36 PM, TimetoShine said:

I admit that I’m struggling to keep my finger off the ff button but Austin just strikes me as a stalker and I’m expecting Mina to be kidnapped soon.

This. I cannot stand Austin. I know they are leading up to some kind of romance between them, but it just is not working for me. It is too bad because I like Mina.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Misslindsey said:

I know they are leading up to some kind of romance between them, but it just is not working for me.

Austin is OK in my book, he's interesting as a chaotic neutral in the Chastain Shenanigans, but I don't think a romance would work for me either.

If they ever devise a character awesome enough to deserve Mina they'll probably be "my" ship on this show :D

• Love 5
On 10/17/2018 at 1:07 PM, Giuseppe said:

Didn't Grey's Anatomy do the patient with Auto Brewery syndrome already this season? Or am I thinking of another medical show? In any case, weird that two shows would employ the exact same rare illness storyline so close to each other.

Have to throw in a minor gripe, though...the music festival would never have been called "Hotlanta Music Fest". Nobody here calls it "Hotlanta", lol.

Yes and Amen to the second point. Not a single person who lives here calls it that. We actively tell people not to do it. So annoying. 

• Like 1
On 10/17/2018 at 6:07 PM, Giuseppe said:

On 10/17/2018 at 6:46 PM, TimetoShine said:

On 10/17/2018 at 6:55 PM, Giuseppe said:

They're all behind the times.  Holby City (BBC UK show) did that story over a year ago!