Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

The lives of men and women who work the night shift at a hospital in San Antonio come to life in this drama. In the premiere, a former military doctor deals with a life-threatening situation on his way to work; his ex-girlfriend pursues the night shift's top job; and a clash over business matters unfolds.
(edited)

10 minutes into the pilot and I've got whiplash. They flipping through the scenes very quickly and it's not very (ok, not at all) interesting so far. 

This is a comedy? I thought it was going to be a drama. (Obviously, I didn't really pay any attention to the commercials.)

Edited by corinne
  • Love 1

It's got loads of pretty and it might fall into the So Bad it's Good category, so potential.

I'll give them a few eps to find the balance because drama/comedy is a tough note to hit.  Plus, Ken Leung will keep me around...and his name is Topher which I find endlessly amusing. 

(edited)

It's got loads of pretty and it might fall into the So Bad it's Good category, so potential.

I'll give them a few eps to find the balance because drama/comedy is a tough note to hit.  Plus, Ken Leung will keep me around...and his name is Topher which I find endlessly amusing. 

Well, clearly the main qualification for working at San Antonio Memorial is that one be vastly pretty, so there's ... that.

Still: sure, the pilot was warmed over ER, but it wasn't quite as soul-shrivelling as Combat Hospital.

Here's an important plot-related question: Is the sleeper hold an actual thing? I've only seen it on teevee, and to me it seems that anything that would incapacitate someone must involve either asphyxiation or cutting off the blood supply to the brain, neither of which seems like it should be non-lethal. It looks about as realistic as the Vulcan pinch, but at least it's not bonking someone on the back of the head to send them unconscious.

Edited by Sandman

If I want an NBC hospital drama they'll better give us Chicago Medical (from the Chicago Fire producers)

Found none of the characters appealing at all..

Sorry deleted from DVR schedule..

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, clearly the main qualification for working at San Antonio Memorial is that one be vastly pretty, so there's ... that.

Yeah, that shift sure did consist of some of the most attractive doctors out there.  I guess maybe Topher is the closest to "normal looking", but I even think that's a stretch, because I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that find Ken Leung attractive.

So far, it was passable for the summer, but I feel like this show isn't sure if it wants to be more light and funny, or darker and more serious.  One minute it's all yuks, and then suddenly there is that car wreck scene where I felt like I was watching Chicago Fire, followed by the public service announcement about how much drunk drivers suck.  Plus, all the brief touches on PTSD.  I know you can do both, but it didn't feel natural here and I kept getting whiplash over the changes of tone.

I did have fun of just referring to the characters by the actors' past work.  Looks it's Dr. Gwaine from Merlin!  And Dr. Leon from Lost!  Along with Dr. Michael from Roswell, Administrator Dickbag Freddy Rodriquez, Dr. Nora from Revolution, and that gal from Royal Pains! 

Serious question though: is there any truth to the idea that night shift hospital staffs mainly consist of people from the military?  I don't think it's unbelievable or anything, but I'm wondering if this is made up for the show, or if it is true in real life that most gravitate towards the night shift hours.

Edited by thuganomics85

Here's an important plot-related question: Is the sleeper hold an actual thing?

Apparently it is per The Straight Dope, but you shouldn't try this at home kids.

Freddy Rodriguez must have inherited Ralph Macchio's Dorian Gray picture because he's 39.  Ralph Macchio finally had the grace to age a wee bit (he was born in 1961) so maybe they are sharing it.

(edited)

Oh my god. I have never sat through a show so terrible before! But I'm a military veteran who is now a military therapist and i wanted to see how PTSD was portrayed. Also, I have some residual Roswell love and will probably watch Mr. Fehr in anything. Is it supposed to be so cheesy? Like Scrubs mixed with an afterschool special (I'm gay! I have PTSD! I'm going blind! I'm working with my hot boyfriend's anal retentive ex-girlfriend! I don't have insurance! I'm a sassy black nurse with a bad wig!).

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 1

Somebody in the business thinks that socially inept, insufferable assholes make good television. I just think that displays of unbearable arrogance and conceit make for poor entertainment.  Doubt I'll be watching E2...

• Love 1

I worked for a few years in an ER and chose to stay on nights because of the camaraderie and craziness, so I was hoping this would be watchable.  I figured I'd have to suspend disbelief and not worry too much about the technical errors, but I after fifteen minutes of the pilot, I deleted the show.

Like Scrubs mixed with an afterschool special (I'm gay! I have PTSD! I'm going blind! I'm working with my hot boyfriend's anal retentive ex-girlfriend! I don't have insurance! I'm a sassy black nurse with a bad wig!). 

Okay: Recap? Check. Thanks, CofCinci!

I worked for a few years in an ER and chose to stay on nights because of the camaraderie and craziness, so I was hoping this would be watchable. I figured I'd have to suspend disbelief and not worry too much about the technical errors, but I after fifteen minutes of the pilot, I deleted the show.

In real life do you all talk about insurance so much? Jeez. This show couldn't go a full scene without bringing up insurance.

This seemed like M*A*S*H Stateside, to me. Lead male doctor is Hawkeye, lady nightshift head (from Royal Pains) is Dr. Hotlips, Freddie Rodriguez is Frank Burns and the gay doctor and Asian doctor will playing revolving parts of BJ (yeah I know, dubious for the gay doctor), Trapper John and Spearchucker Jones. We have a hot, Latina Sidney Friedman. So far, no Father Mulcahy, Radar or Klinger.

I'm from Houston and usually take shows set in Texas to task for any irregularities but luckily for these guys, I haven't been to San Antonio for 12 years and that trip was about 8 hours only so they'll mostly get a pass from me if they screw something up. That said, I wasn't paying attention at the beginning and it wasn't until I came here that I knew they were in SA; I was thinking they were in the RGV or somewhere else "remote" So many confusing and contradictory details but like I said, I'll mostly let those go.

Baby storyline: So this baby is is such medical distress that it has to be transferred from Corpus Christi (NOT a minor backwater city but whatever) to San Antonio for treatment? Where is the mother/parent? And why THIS hospital? This is presented as a pretty low-rent, private, for-profit hospital, not a major trauma center or even the city/county/public hospital.

2 stolen M*A*S*H storylines

1) The girl with no insurance needs an MRI so let's set up a daisy-chain barter system to get it done. This was an episode where somebody wanted/needed a nose job, I think; in the end, Klinger went to Seoul for a date with some Colonel/General who had requested Hot Lips or some other hot nurse. There was also an episode where they needed an incubator. There are probably others.

2) The skull reattachment/fusion or whatever with not-a-doctor administrator remembering seeing a similar operation in Denver is so many field experiment operations: Charles walking them through a heart surgery because he was nearly passed out on a table after donating blood that he had seen in Boston and that they had read about in a medical journal-this might have been the aeortic graft from the dying soldier; the saline solution % which may or may not be the same as the suction pump experiment; the blood vessel clamp made by the guy who made the replica of Margaret's ring. You get the picture.

This is summer burn-off season. In the past few years, we've had Persons Unknown (which was infuriating and just had a marathon on CHILLER over the weekend), The Philanthropist and Windfall (about a group of friends/co-workers) who win a lottery-all on NBC. ABC had the best recently, imo, with Traveler with Matt Bomer among others. Almost certain to be a one-off but was in the can, paid for and more likely to get my eyes than America's Got Talent, Last Comic Standing, et.al. or 4 year-old reruns of SVU. I'm much more picky between September and April/May but will take what I can get in the summer, although I have a stockpile of things on the DVR including Agents of S*H*I*E*L*D, Cosmos, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland and Graceland (which I need to finish before S@ in a week or 2). Apologies for the ramble but happy to have  anew home to vent and share as well as "fresh meat".

Somebody in the business thinks that socially inept, insufferable assholes make good television.

IMO, the boat has long since sailed-House, Bones, L&O: Criminal Intent, Monk, The Big Bang Theory (although I love it), and to a lesser extent (not always assholes but definitely socially inept and often insufferable) The New Girl, The Mindy Project, The Office, Modern Family (again, LOVE the show but Phil and/or Claire at times have no clue or filter), Parenthood. Feel free to add your "favorites" to the list.

(edited)

I agree that daisy-chain of dealmaking felt like it was taken straight out of M.A.S.H., and TC bears a certain physical resemblance to a young Alan Alda, if I squint just a bit. But, all these years later, I see a comment like this

Freddie Rodriguez is Frank Burns 

And all I wanna do is add "FRANK BURNS EATS WORMS!!"

Thank you and goodnight.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

Wow, so, so bad. If the hospital is in such grave financial straits, WTF is it doing with a helicopter? Wouldn't that be one of the first things to go?

Every character is the worst cliché.

Well, I liked it. I like a good soapy drama and I think this will fill the role nicely. Lots of chemistry between the two leads/exes. I like all the characters.

I think Brendan Fehr is hot and I love him in macho roles. Thought he had chemistry with the new girl doc so I was surprised to find out the character was gay.

I'm definitely adding this to my summer DVR list.

• Love 3

Wow, so, so bad. If the hospital is in such grave financial straits, WTF is it doing with a helicopter? Wouldn't that be one of the first things to go?

Every character is the worst cliché.

I have a feeling this show won't meet a cliché it doesn't like. 

I like it and thought it was dreadful at the same time, so I'll be back next week. 

I have a feeling the show would be so much better without Dr Manpain. 

• Love 1

I kind of liked it, so I'm willing to give it a chance to see what happens.  Right now I'm operating on the assumption that the lead doctor is such a jerk because they're setting up room for him to grow up and mellow out.  Like what happened between him and the administrator- he initially wrote the administrator off as just being a heartless paper-pusher, and now he knows there's more to the guy than he first assumed.  If he actually learns from that going forward, it'll be a good thing.  A lot of it was cliché, and as one who loved MASH, I had the same thoughts as the rest about the favor chain but for me that was a good association so I gave it a pass even though it was so unoriginal. 

Someone asked about the baby - the baby was from the area, but the parents had no insurance, so the administrator guy wanted the baby transferred to the other hospital so they weren't bearing the load for the unpaid bills. 

My biggest "huh?" moment actually was the end.  Do people really hang around their place of employment with workers when their shift ends?  I've never worked a night shift, but in my day jobs, I wanted to go home when my day was over.  I was very surprised to see the entire night shift hanging out on the roof after work.  I asked the DH, "Do none of these people have homes or families?" 

• Love 1
Someone asked about the baby - the baby was from the area, but the parents had no insurance, so the administrator guy wanted the baby transferred to the other hospital so they weren't bearing the load for the unpaid bills.

The baby needed dialysis and was from Corpus, which I assume is Corpus Christi and 150 miles away-not local; there was no mention of insurance. I think you are confusing this storyline with the teenager/college student? who needed the MRI for the mass in her abdomen which turned out to be her absorbed twin; she and her parents didn't have insurance.

(edited)
I was very surprised to see the entire night shift hanging out on the roof after work.  I asked the DH, "Do none of these people have homes or families?"

Silly renard, the night shift is their family!

Which is yet another thudding cliché. Was a condition of getting this show on the air that they check off every possible cliché?

I'm going to enjoy hate-watching this.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

The baby needed dialysis and was from Corpus, which I assume is Corpus Christi and 150 miles away-not local; there was no mention of insurance. I think you are confusing this storyline with the teenager/college student? who needed the MRI for the mass in her abdomen which turned out to be her absorbed twin; she and her parents didn't have insurance.

The names of the towns didn't mean anything to me, since I don't know Texas at all, so I just assumed it was local, otherwise it made no sense unless they are the only/closest hospital in the area.  But I really thought this was another issue about insurance - they kept bringing it up.  The administrator would have had no reason to want to transfer the baby elsewhere if the parents had insurance, since their costs would be covered.  But he was desperate to get the baby out of there to the point of asking the other doctor to over-ride the medical opinion of the first doctor so they could dump the baby on another hospital.  Granted, I wasn't exactly hanging on every word, but if the issue wasn't the insurance, then what exactly was the administrator's issue?  Because that thing makes no sense otherwise.

Silly renard, the night shift is their family!

That wasn't me.

The names of the towns didn't mean anything to me, since I don't know Texas at all, so I just assumed it was local, otherwise it made no sense unless they are the only/closest hospital in the area.  But I really thought this was another issue about insurance - they kept bringing it up.  The administrator would have had no reason to want to transfer the baby elsewhere if the parents had insurance, since their costs would be covered.  But he was desperate to get the baby out of there to the point of asking the other doctor to over-ride the medical opinion of the first doctor so they could dump the baby on another hospital.  Granted, I wasn't exactly hanging on every word, but if the issue wasn't the insurance, then what exactly was the administrator's issue?  Because that thing makes no sense otherwise.

I agree that the administrator's concern is likely financial/insurance. My complaint/question had to do with where the mother/parents were. Even locally, I don't see a baby being taken to the hospital, or especially transferred from one hospital to another, without the parents riding along in the ambulance or following in their car. The baby was wheeled in by the 2 paramedics who related the mother's report of symptoms. IMO, it was as weak story fragment, thin on details, being used to make a point that was already being made in several other storylines. Unless the 2 actors playing the paramedics won a contest for an on-air appearance and a speaking part (which ironically inflates the budget of a show that I doubt will make dollar one, not to mention the expense and regulations involved in using an infant i a scene), I just didn't see the point. Maybe it was to have TC say "That's right; you're not a doctor." only to have us learn later that he had quit med school when his vision started failing. But again, this could have been worked into almost any of the other stories.

TC say "That's right; you're not a doctor."

I'd go with the "It's not your job to diagnose!" as a Man with Two Brains call out.

Do people really hang around their place of employment with workers when their shift ends?

My guess would be they hit the nearest watering hole if it were real life (silly silly me!).  Openly drinking on work is never going to cut it, even for the actuaries of the world (since they are so concerned with insurance in the Show).  But for medical staff who might be sucked back into an emergency?  Nah.

The names of the towns didn't mean anything to me, since I don't know Texas at all, so I just assumed it was local, otherwise it made no sense unless they are the only/closest hospital in the area.

Texas is a big ass state (geographically speaking), so I hope they are careful about stuff like that.

Texas is a big ass state (geographically speaking), so I hope they are careful about stuff like that.

I don't kn0w much about Texas, but I have heard that there are areas where there are few/no hospitals that I would think of as "local" (within about 25 miles) and some areas where the nearest hospital might be more than 100 miles away.  If that is true, then it's possible that a patient would be from quite a distance away, but I don't know if that applies to San Antonio or wherever this hospital is supposed to be.

Don't hold your breath. If they only make half the mistakes that they made with Chase a few years ago, this will still qualify as a comedy.

I don't kn0w much about Texas, but I have heard that there are areas where there are few/no hospitals that I would think of as "local" (within about 25 miles) and some areas where the nearest hospital might be more than 100 miles away.  If that is true, then it's possible that a patient would be from quite a distance away, but I don't know if that applies to San Antonio or wherever this hospital is supposed to be.

There are such areas and San Antonio (pop. 1.3 million, 7th in the nation; 2nd in TX) does serve as the regional medical center for South Texas although I have trouble seeing THIS hospital being the place you'd drive 100 miles to go for more sophisticated/complex care. That said, Corpus is a city of 300,000+ and is 8th largest in the state. Along with Brownsville, they would be able to take care of most medical emergencies locally-certainly a baby needing dialysis. There are plenty of places that could have been picked but Corpus is not one of them that makes sense.

• Love 1

If a majority of the staff is military, then I'd be able to fanwank that they hang out after hours together. When I was in the Navy, we'd work 8 hours together and then play 8 hours together. You didn't go anywhere without your shipmates/battle buddies.

• Love 2

Never underestimate the power of quality hair & staff attractiveness on patient satisfaction.

I was in the hospital for 7 weeks in 2007 and I think the well worn path leading to my room by my friends and co-workers was predicated on the oh-so-smokin' doctor I had.  Unfortunately, I was too far out of it for it to even register this.

• Love 1

Jill Flint was the original reason for watching this but hers seems like a very uninteresting character. T.C. is annoying. Too much "I know what's best" and righteous indignation. F-Rod's role seemed too "stick up his ass" like but now that we have his backstory, he is the most interesting to me. I thought of not watching anymore but found that I want to know what happens to him.

I also like Brendan Fehr from Roswell and I'd like to see how he does with this role.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict this doesn't make the network sked, Hopefully since Jill F is no longer tied to Royal Pains (I'm guessing) perhaps she can come back to TGW as Agent Sexy. I had read that TPTB at Royal Pains wouldn't let her do too many TGW episodes so Lana is currently MIA. But I'd love her back on RP, too..

I will stick around, mostly for Freddy. You go, papi !

(edited)

Am I the only one who thought that when they were talking about sending the baby to Corpus assumed it was a different hosptial, like a non-profit/religious hospital that would care less about insurance payments?  Probably because I was mentally confusing the idea of a Corpus Christi Hospital with the actual Christus hospital I drive past when I go to visit my parents in San Antonio.

I put a long post on the second episode thread about the fact this can't possibly be the only trauma center in San Antonio, so all the complaints about how they can't close the trauma center despite the costs of keeping it open were annoying. Though a quick way to downgrade your trauma center to just a standard ER (and save some money) would be to fire your apparent only surgeon on the night staff.

Edited by athelyna

Seems like a cross between M.A.S.H. and St. Elsewhere. I expected Radar to stomp in at some point and repossess the cake, yelling "A deal's a deal!!"

And, hey, that's Kalinda's FBI Agent girlfriend!

Maybe it's all just a vision in Tommy Westphall's snowglobe...

(edited)

IMO, the boat has long since sailed-House, Bones, L&O: Criminal Intent, Monk, The Big Bang Theory (although I love it), and to a lesser extent (not always assholes but definitely socially inept and often insufferable) The New Girl, The Mindy Project, The Office, Modern Family (again, LOVE the show but Phil and/or Claire at times have no clue or filter), Parenthood. Feel free to add your "favorites" to the list.

Suits comes to mind

Edited by torqy