Type keyword(s) to search

S03.01 Mom Guilt

Mom Guilt (Season 3 | Episode 1)

8:30PM | ABC

The Season 3 premiere: Katie goes back to work as a party planner, which brings new challenges of balancing home and work life into the mix.

Airdate: Wednesday, September 26, 2018

• Love 1

I thought this was a very funny premiere episode.   I laughed quite a bit throughout.   The opening dream bit was unexpected and made me chuckle, as did Taylor's hilariously botched lyrics, and a bunch of other things.  

Anna-Kat does a great Katie impression, and Katy did a great job with the physical comedy running into the house, trying to get there before Anna-Kat was asleep.

I also like that Katie now has a party-planning job. I thought the boss sounded very familiar too, Chitowngirl.  I missed the credits and don't see it listed on IMDB.

I'm glad this show is back!

ETA:  I thought Sara Rue looked great here.  I suppose part of that may be that I've gotten used to her weight loss.   Last season it looked more severe to me, whereas this episode it looked like it had settled down and she seemed to look more like she had always been very slim.  If that makes any sense at all.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 7

That kid in the opening scene was pretty weird til she realized it was a dream. haha. Too bad they got rid of the pig. That would have been even more hilarious licking her face. I don't even remember them getting a dog.

• Love 2

I guess it's me.....I didn't love this episode.  I'm not sure I like the new twist with Katie working as a party planner, although I like the fact that she's gone back to work.  I guess I'll see how I feel as the season goes on.

Kids grow fast in a year,especially in their teens.  One of those things when you have shows  that have teenagers. It gets really tricky in some series  when the teenagers are being played by someone in their 20's. A series can only get away with that  before the actor starts looking way too old to pass as a teen. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Am I the only one who did a double take at the start with Oliver. At first with his growth and voice changing to me it did not seem like it was him!

He seemed older and his voice was deeper, but he still looked pretty much the same to me.  Especially compared to the young teenager who plays Georgie in Young Sheldon... he looked quite a bit different in that show's season premiere compared to last season's finale.

• Love 5

Aging child actors can be a challenge when series catch on, Modern Family being the best example. Even when the characters are allowed to age, most often writers don't know what to do with them. Girls hold up better than boys, typically, but Anna-Kat is the most noticeably older. I think Daniel/Oliver looks the same, if taller as expected. His baritone was nearly as deep at the end of last season. His voice and delivery are perfect for my failing hearing, the only one I dont need CC for. I wonder if he does audio books.

As for Georgie, it seems that as Montana ages, he looks even more like adult Jerry O'Connell.

I liked the episode. My wife was a meeting planner. She had to rescue many near disasters including two hotel fires. Note that even Blondie Bumstead works outside the home now.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

The premise of this tv show is that the woman is a housewife? A full time homemaker? Why have the character work again?

Oh you know all the other "Mean Housewives" will soon go after Katie, because how dare she work, while they spend their rich husband (ex) money and complain how they know better. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

The premise of this tv show is that the woman is a housewife? A full time homemaker? Why have the character work again?

I know what you mean. Maybe it'll be short lived. Especially being a party planner for society people that drive her nuts. Instead of failing at the job because she clashes with everyone, she'll either tell em all to go to hell or somehow teach them to be more humble and down to earth. The conflict might be good for a couple episodes.

Edited by Eataton
  • Love 3

Because many housewives go back to work as the kids get older, partly to make extra money for their kids post-secondary education. If it's part time, you still call yourself a housewife (speaking from experience). 

I like this direction, it makes sense. Katie isn't one of those housewives who throws herself into baking and crafts and volunteering, so she might as well be useful in a different way.

• Love 12
22 hours ago, readster said:

Oh you know all the other "Mean Housewives" will soon go after Katie, because how dare she work, while they spend their rich husband (ex) money and complain how they know better. 

Apparently, though, the "mean housewives" aren't the only women in town, since all of the guests at the birthday party loved Katy's work, as did the birthday girl. Give it your best shot, witches!

• Love 3
On 9/27/2018 at 5:31 AM, Yeah No said:

I'm not sure I like the new twist with Katie working as a party planner, although I like the fact that she's gone back to work.  I guess I'll see how I feel as the season goes on.

I don't really find it a twist though. I thought when she took on the gala last season in the first place they said her previous job involved event planning. So, yes she went back to work, but it's not really that far from her previous career.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I don't really find it a twist though. I thought when she took on the gala last season in the first place they said her previous job involved event planning. So, yes she went back to work, but it's not really that far from her previous career.

True, I think the problem is, Katie was suppose to be that House Wife who wasn't like the rest. She stayed home and involved in things she cared about while everyone wondered why she wasn't being like all the other "rich house wives" in the town. Plus, it seemed like then last season it became about trying to ruin Katie from getting more "popular" in the town with her ideas and events. Because you know "Being middle class is a bad thing." She was suppose to lie, cheat and sell out like the kids think you should in life. However, as both in real life and in TV shows, it starts becoming: "Why do you need to be at home now?" The main premise was that Anna-Kat would get help for her OCD and other issues, but now those have been pretty much swept under the rug since last season. Now, with Taylor close to being done with high school, Oliver involved more both in and out of school and Anna-Kat being her own self. Leaves basically Katie to be at home, and what is she going to do? Her returning to the working world and into something she is not only good at, but made a living makes sense. Now the conflict comes is Katie has found kind of a "happy place" and she can't have that according to all the other house wives. Because if they didn't have their money from their husbands (who don't like to have sex with them anymore) they would have no lives. So, now the direction is coming to hate on Katie more than ever. Which means she is going to have to decide if it's worth it, or just wait until all the kids are out of the house and then just quietly retire by her 50s. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I think her taking any job would be a twist considering the title of this series is "American Housewife", and not "American Working Mom".

• Love 3

I love Katy Mixon and think she is beautiful, I  didn't realize she was pregnant but thought she looked far larger this episode from S01E1

I loooooved her interview with Steve Harvey, you keep doing you, Katie!!!

• Love 4