Type keyword(s) to search

Murdoch Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Episode 14/9  "The .38 Murdoch Special"

What a sad, but timely, episode, pointing out discrimination against Blacks, Asians and homosexuals.  Nomi is arrested for "walking while Black" in a white neighborhood and Miss Hart's marriage to a rich man doesn't stop her from being harassed.  The Chinese face their own violence and discrimination, while poor Watts tries hypnosis when he can't live his true homosexual self.  Good for the show for taking this on.  

• Love 10

I am catching up on the Ovation Now app...

14.7 Murdoch Escape Room

I loved this episode, I don't care how ridiculous it was for Goldie to have constructed these rooms (with or without help).  I love escape rooms and really appreciated the puzzles.  I do hope this is the last we ever see of Goldie... she is not at all what I would call a fun villain, she is just hateful.  I don't care for Colin Mochrie's character either.  I do agree with the characterisation upthread that he's a loser.  But he has that hangdog look that is supposed to make you feel sorry for him... and I don't.  

14.8 The Dominion of New South Mimico

This episode was so campy and over-the-top.  It was like the people had stepped into an "Alice in Wonderland" world and were all buying into the magic, complete with an "off with his head" pronouncement.  I don't mind the Newsomes, I especially loved how Ruth was considered to be a Princess of the kingdom, yet Effie was apparently not given any title at all.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 6

Effie had rejected her ex and apparently the whole silliness so she didn't deserve a title.

I was intrigued by that language and kudos to Jonny Harris for selling the silliness.

Speaking of outdoor episodes, there was that one at the nudist colony. Brave of the actors and very funny.

• Love 6

14.10 Everything Is Broken Pt 1

I really liked this episode with the remembrances of loves lost.  I've always liked William with Anna and did not mind all of the flashbacks.  Also, it was a treat to hear Emily Grace mentioned.  She was the one I wanted for George.  In my mind, she was only experimenting and would have eventually returned to George. 

Anyway, about William and Anna.  A few years ago on some other message board I posted that they should have a child of theirs show up one day.  I'm glad they went the route of the young lad seeming to be a miniature Murdoch and think they cast the part well.  I'm curious to see how this plays out.  There are so many emotions to explore.  

I've never been a fan of baddie Miss Hart, but now I'm finding her story interesting and rooting for her.  It's something a little different, and it also has me curious to see what happens.

• Love 4
On 4/18/2021 at 4:41 PM, buckboard said:

Episode 14/9  "The .38 Murdoch Special"

What a sad, but timely, episode, pointing out discrimination against Blacks, Asians and homosexuals.  Nomi is arrested for "walking while Black" in a white neighborhood and Miss Hart's marriage to a rich man doesn't stop her from being harassed.  The Chinese face their own violence and discrimination, while poor Watts tries hypnosis when he can't live his true homosexual self.  Good for the show for taking this on.  

Yep... it was a particularly depressing episode.  The only good thing was that Brackenreid actually publicly acknowledged Nomi as his daughter.

Why are Murdoch and everyone else still calling her "Miss Hart"?  She married for the status, you would think she would insist on being called "Mrs. _________".

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Mrs. Carmichael?  Is that it?  She didn't actually tell them she was married. Murdoch noticed her ring and said he was "...sure it will be a lovely wedding" and she replied, "It was."

But weren't they on the front page of the Toronto newspaper?  The husband showed her a draft of tomorrow's paper.  There was a drawing of them and some headline and she changed it to "SCANDAL".  He promised her that he would get them into another story, above the fold.  Surely William and the rest of the department is aware that she is actually married.  Her husband is supposed to be the richest man in Toronto, so I'm surprised she's not insisting on being recognized by her married name.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

...unless she doesn't plan to stay married. Besides, she's using her maiden name much the way Dr. Ogden does.

Ah true... I wonder if her plan is to divorce him and get his money.  Would serve him right, and that truly would be a scandal.

Has Season 15 been announced yet?

• Love 1
(edited)

14.11 Everything is Broken Pt 2

I thought the season finale was very disrespectful to the show's viewers.  Plots they have been developing all season came to a head -- and we were left dangling.  

Season 14 was a good one.  We shouldn't have to wait half a year to find out the resolution to all these storylines.

ETA:  I do want to thank everyone who agreed with my suggestion that it would be helpful to indicate what episode you are watching, instead of just saying "I liked last night's episode."  It's made reading the forum much easier to do.

Edited by buckboard
  • Love 5

Finally finished the final two-parter of Season 14. I thought it was well done even though I figured out pretty early on that Anna was still alive. TPTB have set up a bunch of cliffhangers to be resolved next season. 

I was sure that Miss Hart was going to kill her husband with the poison in order to inherit all of his money. 

Really like how welcoming and accepting Brackenreid's wife has been of his daughter. 

How did they get Effie into that tree??

• Love 3
18 hours ago, LisaM said:

Finally finished the final two-parter of Season 14. I thought it was well done even though I figured out pretty early on that Anna was still alive. TPTB have set up a bunch of cliffhangers to be resolved next season. 

I was sure that Miss Hart was going to kill her husband with the poison in order to inherit all of his money. 

Really like how welcoming and accepting Brackenreid's wife has been of his daughter. 

How did they get Effie into that tree??

14.10 and 14.11 Everything is Broken Parts 1 and 2

I too, just finished.  I did not figure out that Anna was alive and I spent most of the two episodes wondering why they would bring up the subject of this character again.  I confess that I have completely forgotten who she was... on this show, there seem to be a lot of blondes and they all seem to have that same or similar upswept garlic bulb like hairstyle - Anna, Goldie, Ruth, Miss Cherry, kidnapper lady and her sister, James Pendrick's wife, etc.

I had assumed that they only brought up the character again to provide Murdoch and Julia with a child at long last.  Murdoch and Julia have to be in their late 40s at this point, so it will be nice if they finally get their child.  However, not sure what the wrinkle is with Anna being alive... the child has obviously been playing them this whole time, why?

I also don't understand why bring back George's kidnapper?  

I am sure that Miss Hart is going to end up killing the husband.  He will have accidentally overdosed or something, and she will get all of his money.  Can't say I will miss him.  He seems to crave attention, so although he will be dead, I'm sure he would have enjoyed being talked about in the papers.

What did Ruth and Henry name the baby?  It was going to be Hieronymus if it was a boy.

• Love 3
On 3/11/2021 at 6:20 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I was watching The Outer Limits on the Comet channel. The was a child in the show, played by Lachlan Murdoch. I had no idea Higgins had been a child actor.  According to imdb, he was 11.

The same year he was in an episode of Dead Man's Gun, which is free to stream on Pluto. It's an anthology series with a different cast each week, and Lachlan was heavily featured in the episode he was in, as the rather bratty son of the female lead.

https://pluto.tv/en/on-demand/series/dead-mans-gun/season/1/episode/mail-order-bride-1997-1-13?utm_source=homepage

And while Daniel Maslany didn't start acting quite as young as Lachlan Murdoch, there's a short film called The Recital that he did with his sister at about age fourteen or so on YouTube. Posting a screenshot of his most Watts-like look...

lm2.jpg

wl.jpg

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 5

The Things We Do For Love, Part 1, Season 15, Episode 1 airs September 13, 2021 on CBC

I had no idea the new season was starting last night. Usually they promote the hell out of the show but I didn't see a single promo.  I just, luckily, came across the listing while browsing for something to watch at 8 pm.

Anyhow, the episode was so packed full of various storylines that nothing got completed.  At least we got Effie out of the tree. I really dislike plots with crazy people holding others hostage.

It's going to take the whole 24 new episodes to finish all these plots.

I hope Julia isn't going to do something stupidly altruistic like leaving William so he can be with Anna Fulford and Harry.  That is something she would do.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3

Way too many stories. I think I counted at least 8

Murdoch looking for Anna

Brankenfield looking for his son

George forced into marriage /Effie being held hostage

The Chinese woman missing/murdered

Dr Hart doing something to her husband. 

Julia curing a pt with a new procedure

Julie/William/Anna triangle

William is a father. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Trey said:

The Things We Do For Love, Part 1, Season 15, Episode 1 airs September 13, 2021 on CBC

I had no idea the new season was starting last night. Usually they promote the hell out of the show but I didn't see a single promo.  I just, luckily, came across the listing while browsing for something to watch at 8 pm.

Anyhow, the episode was so packed full of various storylines that nothing got completed.  At least we got Effie out of the tree. I really dislike plots with crazy people holding others hostage.

It's going to take the whole 24 new episodes to finish all these plots.

I hope Julia isn't going to do something stupidly altruistic like leaving William so he can be with Anna Fulford and Harry.  That is something she would do.

I had no idea. I completely missed it.

• Love 1

I saw an announcement on FB.

It was just too much. I didn't feel invested in any of the plotlines because there was just too much going on.

I watch tv to relax, I don't want all these complicated stories.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Trey said:

Thanks, Trey, for starting off the season on the right note, by identifying the episode information, so we'll be able to keep track in the future as to which episode this was.  I hope other posters will follow your example.  Months from now, when we non-Canadians finally get to see the show, this will really help.

Nothing is more annoying than to read: "I really loved last night's show," as if everyone will know which  episode the poster was talking about.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Did we find out what Ruth and Henry named their baby?

I thought they told everyone the name but I don't remember it.  I've done some googling but couldn't find any mention of the baby's name.  So many of the articles out there are fairly old.  Maybe someone on their FB page could tell you.

I saw over the weekend that it was returning Monday night on CBC (which is local tv for the Detroit area) but I couldn't watch since my neighbors kindly asked me over to see "Come From Away" on their Apple+ TV connection (which was extraordinary even for someone who saw the touring company in the theater in late 2019 - highly recommend it for anyone who has access). 

Thanks for the info about the episode since I will try to remember to watch next Monday's episode and then watch Part I when streaming is available.  Was Watts in any of the story lines?

• Love 2
17 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Somehow, I seem to remember them naming their baby after her “dead” brother. Or at least listing his name among those under consideration. However, I don’t remember if Rupert is actually dead or if he somehow faked his death because of poverty. 

• Useful 1
44 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Somehow, I seem to remember them naming their baby after her “dead” brother. Or at least listing his name among those under consideration. However, I don’t remember if Rupert is actually dead or if he somehow faked his death because of poverty. 

Or because his wife was always trying to beat the crap out of him.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I thought the baby was a girl?? Although if anyone was going to name a baby girl "Rupert," it would be the Higgins-Newsomes...

• LOL 1
On 9/14/2021 at 5:52 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

Hmm, I thought I had answered this last night but my post disappeared.  Season 15 Ep 2 aired and the Boy's name (Yes, it's a boy) is Jordan.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had a nephew named Jordan. You'd think she'd keep the name when she became a woman, but, no. Now she's Natalya. She even changed her last name, too, so it's pretty obvious the person has issues beyond gender.

I have loved the name Jordan for a woman ever since I read The Great Gatsby.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I watched the birth episode yesterday and they expressly said it was a daughter.

So they had a girl, I usually watch with Closed Captioning, but I guess I didn't hear them say Jordan was the name of a baby girl.  I had also posted how sick I am of faux-coroner Hart and am disappointed the show replaced the likeable Rebecca James with this odious character Violet Hart.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Jacks-Son said:

So they had a girl, I usually watch with Closed Captioning, but I guess I didn't hear them say Jordan was the name of a baby girl.  I had also posted how sick I am of faux-coroner Hart and am disappointed the show replaced the likeable Rebecca James with this odious character Violet Hart.

I love Miss James but I have to say I'm enjoying watching Hart torturing her odious husband.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

love Miss James but I have to say I'm enjoying watching Hart torturing her odious husband.

Torture? Is that what they call it? No offense meant but, I see some sick person with petty grievances who used to sell drugs from her previous employer's locked drug cabinet and wants to feel accepted so bad that she's willing to kill and is playing out this elaborate Alice In Wonderland Tea Party.  Her husband is an entitled cad who wanted to thumb his nose at society by flaunting his Black girlfriend.  Yes, he's odious, but does he really deserve to be in some endless opium daze and chained up? It's a bit excessive, IMO, and I question the show's motives in showing such a despicable character in such contrast to the brilliant Dr. Julia Ogden

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Torture? Is that what they call it? No offense meant but, I see some sick person with petty grievances who used to sell drugs from her previous employer's locked drug cabinet and wants to feel accepted so bad that she's willing to kill and is playing out this elaborate Alice In Wonderland Tea Party.  Her husband is an entitled cad who wanted to thumb his nose at society by flaunting his Black girlfriend.  Yes, he's odious, but does he really deserve to be in some endless opium daze and chained up? It's a bit excessive, IMO, and I question the show's motives in showing such a despicable character in such contrast to the brilliant Dr. Julia Ogden

Well yeah, Miss Hart is a bitch. We already knew that.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Well yeah, Miss Hart is a bitch. We already knew that.

And yet she remains a bitch with no redeeming qualities. Every "evil" character had some redeeming trait with the exception of Giles and the twins who are obsessed with George. Ms. Hart isnt even a very good "Coroner". She IS knowledgeable but uses her position for personal gain instead of in search of the truth. I don't know what her character is supposed to represent and whatever she brings, I grit my teeth at her scenes and expect nothing but the worst. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

And yet she remains a bitch with no redeeming qualities. Every "evil" character had some redeeming trait with the exception of Giles and the twins who are obsessed with George. Ms. Hart isnt even a very good "Coroner". She IS knowledgeable but uses her position for personal gain instead of in search of the truth. I don't know what her character is supposed to represent and whatever she brings, I grit my teeth at her scenes and expect nothing but the worst. 

No. I get that, I have never had much time for her. I like that she's a survivor.

• Useful 1

"Somehow, I seem to remember them naming their baby after her “dead” brother. Or at least listing his name among those under consideration. However, I don’t remember if Rupert is actually dead or if he somehow faked his death because of poverty."

How soon we forget.  Ruthie's dead brother was Roger Newsome, of the Mimico Newsomes.  He was in several episodes, and annoyed George to no end.  He was murdered in "Weekend at Murdoch's" when he was a witness to a murder and George and Henry were supposed to be protecting him.  It was the episode were Henry met Ruthie.

Ruthie had already named her dog after Roger (in a later episode, with a dog show).  Ruppert and Roger are played by the same actor.

• Love 4

The episode is Manhunt, originally aired Oct. 4 2021.

I really enjoyed this episode too; it was such an old school mystery and adventure.  I am glad William let Giles escape. 

Also loved the volleyball scenes, although I was very surprised when Mrs. Hart showed up to play.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Trey said:

The episode is Manhunt, originally aired Oct. 4 2021.

I really enjoyed this episode too; it was such an old school mystery and adventure.  I am glad William let Giles escape. 

Also loved the volleyball scenes, although I was very surprised when Mrs. Hart showed up to play.

I'm beginning to like her. Overall though, I thought it was kind of a dreary episode.

• Love 1

15/3 - Manhunt

I chose to skip the first two episodes because I'm so tired of all the heavy drama they keep adding to the show. Told my roommate to tell me when they got back to the show I loved. 

This was more on the dramatic side but it wasn't putting our heroes in peril. Instead, it's a meditation on justice. It stood very well in that. I especially loved the callback to when Murdoch released Constance Gardiner. Brought the whole thing full circle.

And Brackenreid created the volleyball spike??

Edited by marina to
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Season 15 - Episode 4 - Blood on the Tracks

For a variety of reasons, this was the first time I got a chance to tune into a full episode "live" in this new season and it did not disappoint.  It was a good mix of mystery/drama and lighter moments. 

I enjoyed the story involving the volleyball team on the train because of the interactions of all the women - not all really liking one another fully but finding mutual ground to do what needed to be done and Effie was a hoot by the end.  Also enjoyed seeing Miss Cherry again.

I also enjoyed Murdoch and Baby Jordan - his reactions throughout to her and to Higgins' comments made me laugh out loud several times (always nice to do on a Monday). 

My heart broke again for Watts by the end of the episode.  I do like what they are doing with his story line but can't the guy catch a break? 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Season 15 - Episode 4 - Blood on the Tracks

For a variety of reasons, this was the first time I got a chance to tune into a full episode "live" in this new season and it did not disappoint.  It was a good mix of mystery/drama and lighter moments. 

I enjoyed the story involving the volleyball team on the train because of the interactions of all the women - not all really liking one another fully but finding mutual ground to do what needed to be done and Effie was a hoot by the end.  Also enjoyed seeing Miss Cherry again.

I also enjoyed Murdoch and Baby Jordan - his reactions throughout to her and to Higgins' comments made me laugh out loud several times (always nice to do on a Monday). 

My heart broke again for Watts by the end of the episode.  I do like what they are doing with his story line but can't the guy catch a break? 

I was amazed by Brackenreid's miraculous recovery in time to save Julia. Who should not have been confronting the murderer on her own.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I was amazed by Brackenreid's miraculous recovery in time to save Julia. Who should not have been confronting the murderer on her own.

I agree - I was hoping that it was going to be one of the women coming to the rescue but every one of the them would have had problems doing it.  Julia was definitely wrong to confront him by herself.  BTW - I may have missed something not having seen the three prior episodes but do we know why Mrs. Hart got so upset - was it just the stress of the accident/working on live bodies or something else?

• Love 5