Type keyword(s) to search

Murdoch Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/24/2023 at 1:57 PM, Trey said:

Regarding remarks by some of us about the show needing to end soon, the last two episodes of the season are The Long Goodbye Part 1 and The Long Goodbye Part 2. I don't know if that has any significance about the show ending but it does seem a coincidence.  Or maybe it's the long goodbye when Julia goes to prison. We will find out eventually.

Could you site your source for these titles?  I can't find any site that mentions them. THanks!!!

• Like 1

I think a couple of this season's episodes are already available on Acorn.  I missed the first episode of the season due to not realizing CBC had started airing it already and I think last time I checked, it was available.  

I get Acorn via my Xfinity account and it is showing Episode 1 - Sometimes They Come Back (Part 1} and Episode 3 - The Write Stuff.  Both are showing as available for a couple of weeks and then usually they pop back up as sort of permanently available. 

Oddly enough, I didn't always have access to the after shows on every device - had to move around a bit to finally get to see them all (which was worth it because I really enjoyed them}.

• Like 1

Ep. 16.04 - Promising Young Ladies

If was good to see Nina again, although I thought the way she and the other women teased George in front of Effie was awful.  Effie is an angel the way she dealt with the women and George's past.  They are a great couple.

Good to see Julia getting back to her medical practice, small as it was as part of the episode.  

Besides missing Watts, I'd love to see Margaret Brackenreid.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 10/4/2022 at 9:55 PM, auchic said:

Dang, a nudity warning on MM, for 2 seconds of naked butt? 

Not a bad case. Knew it wasn't the wife, since they did that last week, and I knew it wouldn't be one of the burlesque dancers, and then as soon as Higgins found that article about the guy stripped naked in New York, I knew it would be the moral outrage guy and that they had pulled the same stunt on him.

Two weeks without Watts is enough. He better be in the next episode.

On 10/5/2022 at 10:23 AM, Grundoon59 said:

@auchic - I agree with you about the nudity warning (which repeated every commercial break as far as I saw) being a whole lot of warning for very little nudity.  Based on the warning I was expecting some sort of wardrobe malfunction at the burlesque show.

I was never a big Nina Bloom fan (no slight to the actress but I could never care too much about the character) but I did like that the episode was written so that her relationship with George was acknowledged and that Effie was utterly fine with it all. 

I figured out the who did it quite early but not how the body got to its location.  Enjoyed the Crabtrees, Higgins, Brackenreid and Julia portions of the episodes.  Also the salon partner (I really need to remember her name since I am liking her more) - not much Ms. Hart but enough to show she is still seemingly preoccupied by her father issues.  Absolutely agree that we need Watts back sooner rather than later. 

Oddly William seemed to be hardly in the episode - I mean I know he was but it felt like he was on the edges somehow. 

On 3/4/2023 at 7:11 PM, buckboard said:

If was good to see Nina again, although I thought the way she and the other women teased George in front of Effie was awful.  Effie is an angel the way she dealt with the women and George's past.  They are a great couple.

Good to see Julia getting back to her medical practice, small as it was as part of the episode.  

Besides missing Watts, I'd love to see Margaret Brackenreid.  

I liked this episode, although I agree it was very obvious who the killer was going to be.  I was hoping it was going to be the loudmouth lady, if only there was a way to make her an accessory.

I thought Brackenreid confronted those three about the bomb and basically told them to stop protesting and he wouldn't do anything?  But yet they still showed up protesting loudly?  He should have arrested her for disturbing the peace.

Regarding the nudity warning for two seconds of bare butt.  I watched this episode on OvationTV.com so maybe they cut out the warning since there aren't any commercials and because Ovation is a cable channel?

I'm wondering why producers felt the need to show butt in the first place.  It didn't really add anything to the story, they could still have said the man was stripped without subjecting us to it.  After all these years, show decides that this storyline demands bare butt?  Why now?  And not, for example, the episode where George went to a nudist camp, where it would have made sense to see a few butts.

• Useful 3

S16E4 - Promising young ladies

I'm not really sure what the point of this episode was - it was certainly obvious (at least to me, and I am really the last person to figure things out) who was responsible, and I could swear I've seen this plot (burlesque show, George's GF) before. 

I was expecting to there to be some issue with Julia's patient, that she couldn't go to a "white" hospital, then I remembered this was Canada, not the US.  I also thought there would be some malpractice or spousal abuse issues.  

At least there was some actual Murdoch detecting.  

16/20 Just Desserts March 6, 2023

Nearly exonerated, Ogden is implicated in the warden's murder; Murdoch delves into the death of a fraternity pledge.

Well, I was certainly surprised to see Leslie Garland pop up.  Still a loser though he has a lot of charm (and good looks).

I enjoyed Julia's plot more than the Murdoch murder. Loved the way Julia just took over and solved it all herself. Sounds like the victim was yet another man who deserved - or at least, earned - his fate.

No new episodes until March 20.

• Like 3

16/20 Just Desserts March 6, 2023

I enjoyed the episode, more Julia's mystery than Murdoch's (since I guessed correctly at the cause of death in that one very quickly) but I am continuing to like Miss Hart more and more, especially in her new relationship.   

Both stories moved along nicely and I almost didn't notice that there many regular characters were not in the stories (always glad to see the Crabtrees, Higgins and Watts but didn't really miss them last night). 

I was almost liking Leslie Garland until he reverted to type.  Julia as investigator was good but there were a few too many red herrings in her plot.  

Thanks for the heads up @Trey- I saw the preview but again failed to note the two-week break.  

• Like 3
16 hours ago, mjc570 said:

S16E4 - Promising young ladies

I was expecting to there to be some issue with Julia's patient, that she couldn't go to a "white" hospital, then I remembered this was Canada, not the US.  I also thought there would be some malpractice or spousal abuse issues.  

I thought something was going to go wrong with the patient due to her prior mistreatment that would have been blamed on Julia.

• Useful 1

"After all these years, show decides that this storyline demands bare butt?  Why now?  And not, for example, the episode where George went to a nudist camp, where it would have made sense to see a few butts."

We saw lots of butts in Murdoch Au Natural, mostly background characters (George had his satchel strategically placed in front or in back depending on camera angle, women had their long hair draped over breasts).

ION used to show MM, but would blur out any nudity (the breasts on the bronze covered statues, and when Brackenreid was painting nude women they blurred parts of the paintings).  But skipped the nudist colony ep entirely.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

For those close to Toronto, the Toronto Symphony Orchestra is playing a special Murdoch performance Friday and Saturday.

Experience the world of Murdoch Mysteries like never before! Don’t miss this exclusive screening of the all-new never-before-seen episode "Murder in F Major" accompanied by a live orchestral performance of Robert Carli’s epic score. This special presentation, which coincides with the 100th anniversary of the TSO, will be full of musical surprises and special appearances by the stars of the series. Toronto’s own Lucas Waldin conducts these Special Performances, which will also be hosted by Murdoch himself, Yannick Bisson, and Jonny Harris, who plays the upstanding Constable George Crabtree on the show—as well as a few delightful surprises.

• Like 5

Hearing the Murdoch theme played by a full orchestra is a whole amazing new experience.

They said at the concert that they may travel it to other cities. If it comes to yours, it's worth seeing.

There were clips from the years of the show show played against the music background but the big thing (other than the new episode) was composer Robert Carli, who has scored all 367 episodes of the show, talking about the process of creating a score to match the script.

Yannick Bisson, who has directed more than a dozen episodes himself, talking about how the director approaches the scoring. The played the scene from S11.E7 The Accident where Dilbert Dillon (played by David Hewlett) is pinned by a car and they are pulling it away hoping that he doesn't die from the bar being pulled out.  They played it without music and Bisson explained the emotional beats, Brackenreid talking to his friend, the kiss with Louise Cherry ("their first kiss and their last") etc. Carli then explained how he scored that scene as they played the scene over four or five times, each time adding more to it. I hadn't realized how incredibly complex creating a drama can be from the script to the lighting, props, directing, acting, editing, music.

The William/Julia motif was originally written for George Crabtree and Edna in the original episode but George has been unlucky in love. Carli turned it into a song George Crabtree Unlucky In Love about all Geordge's ladies that didn't work out over the 16 seasons that Jonny Harris 'Rex Harrison'-sang. And there was more fun stuff. If you get the chance to see it, it's a good show as well as getting to listen to the symphony.

Meanwhile, in the show's vein of celebrity guests (e.g. Chris Hadfield, Nick Nurse), the guest in the next episode 16/21 Just Desserts playing the orchestra conductor is the show's composer, Robert Carli.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

On FB, Harris said he'd never felt music in his chest before.

Well said. (The audience loved him.) Light years of difference between that and the theme over my TV speakers.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

@Prevailing WindI need to apologize for my confusion about the availability of this season on Acorn.  When I watched what I thought was an Acorn episode yesterday (via Xfinity), I learned that I was getting it through Ovation instead.  Glad you got the info and that Acorn will have it at the end of the month.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
On 10/11/2022 at 10:36 AM, Trey said:

Episode 05, Season 16 MURDOCH RIDES EASY October 10 2022

I enjoyed this episode. It's always nice when Murdoch's scientific side helps solve a case.  And Higgins was competent and even helpful.

It's just like Julia to want to get a motorcycle - I'll bet Murdoch gets one too and they have lots of adventures on the "hogs".

It struck me as strange that Murdoch would allow competitors of Drummond to have acccess to his drawings and data - even though it turned out Drummond was a fake and had stolen from Harley-Davidson, Murdoch didn't know that at the time.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:38 AM, Grundoon59 said:

Episode 05, Season 16 MURDOCH RIDES EASY

I too enjoyed the episode - good to see the family portions, including Baby's first dead body. 

I agree with the oddness of Murdoch allowing Harley & Davidson access but too be fair when he did it, he was just trying to figure out what had gone wrong mechanically, knew he was in over his head and had two experts showing up unexpectedly. 

Plus he didn't know about any of the investor/stolen ideas intrigue at that point.  In the past, I think he has gotten experts/historical figures involved when he probably shouldn't have.  This time it quickly became an issue because of the "investor" raising a ruckus. 

Good to see Higgins being helpful and Mrs. Hart providing a major piece of information.  Julia and her interest in motorcycles was fun and it was interesting to watch William's reactions going back and forth while he was realizing he probably couldn't stop her even if he wanted to. 

I thought this was a good episode overall, but I'm a bit unclear on the dead body being the partner instead of Drummond.  Were all of the friends in on it too?  Surely they knew that Drummond was alive and passing off the dead body as himself instead of the partner.  What did I miss?

I thought Harley and Davidson were from Wisconsin.  Was there explanation as to why they were in Toronto?  Was it just to check out Drummond's motorcycle?  Is there any historical basis for them being in Toronto, or was it just so we could get a bunch of call outs to terms like "easy rider" and "hells angel"?

This seems to be an issue whenever actual historical people are on the show, it's unlikely the show is going to make them the murderer, so the suspect pool is reduced.  I didn't like the actor who played Davidson, something about his acting seemed off.

Julia looked great (and very modern) in the leather getup at the end.

• Like 2
On 10/18/2022 at 1:41 PM, Grundoon59 said:

Episode 16.06 - Clean Hands

I enjoyed this episode - have missed seeing Sharron Matthews on my screen since Frankie Drake ended and was happy to see her as the wife/mother in family they stayed with.

Always good to see Margaret and Higgins delivered his one line well (by the way, I can't remember did he and his wife lose all their money?  I do remember she was working in the clinic at one time but I can't remember if it was for needed money or due to boredom.  I was somewhat confused about Henry's line about money for a vacation)

The star of the episode for me was of course Watts.  Daniel Maslany is so good at showing the underlying pain of Watts.  I look forward to when he finds his way back to Toronto (I am counting on a Frankie Drake web episode as being an accurate future prediction). 

I don't know what to make of Bobby (Robert) Brackenreid.  The actor did a good job of presenting his transformation but knowing the likely outcome will break Margaret & Thomas' hearts makes me sad. 

On 10/19/2022 at 12:04 PM, statsgirl said:

Christopher Heyerdahl (in a non-villain role), Sharon Matthews and the return of Watts -- a good episode. I also appreciated a non-quirky Julia although I wondered who was looking after Susannah for so long.

An interesting theme, that there is no paradise on earth. Watts thought that he had found it among the Mennonites, Jebediah thought that  it was in following the strict rules of his faith, Robert thought that he had found it in Roman Catholicism.  The first two found that they were wrong, maybe Robert will too.

I thought that it was interesting that Abby's cousin was the father of her baby. That would not be unusual in a close-knit community.

I liked that continuity.  There are still Mennonites there today.

On 10/19/2022 at 6:44 PM, Pepper the Cat said:

Watts looked so young and vulnerable. I think he and the guy that was killed were lovers

On 10/22/2022 at 8:27 AM, dargosmydaddy said:

16.6 "Clean Hands"

I was amused that the basic plot of the episode (a missing girl who turns out to be pregnant; an older married woman pretending to be pregnant in order to pass off the baby as hers; the eventual identity of the murder) were the same as a certain mystery show that aired on PBS last Sunday. (And I'm not sure if said show has aired in Canada yet so I don't want to inadvertently spoil anyone...)

I thought Murdoch and (especially) Julia made unconvincing Mennonites, and I was surprised that no one called them out on it (other than the older woman in the baking scene, who was ignored). Julia was told women didn't speak directly to men other than their husbands, and then immediately starts asking questions of Jebediah! And no one said anything about Murdoch's lack of beard.

Speaking of beards, this was the first time Watts has lost the five o'clock shadow... I was confused for a moment, then realized (and Google confirmed) that only married Mennonite men grow beards, so Watts was really committing to his new community. And being completely clean shaven makes him look younger, which also makes him look more vulnerable. I don't think I've ever wanted to give a fictional character a hug quite so much as in this episode. Meanwhile, Murdoch didn't even give him so much as a handshake as he was leaving. I really don't like the way Murdoch treats Watts. Watts always has his back (even when he doesn't want to, like this episode), and Murdoch tends to be really dismissive and cold towards him.

I thought this was an interesting episode, I liked William and Julia working together but I agree they were completely unconvincing as Mennonites.  Especially the way they both stood up and left the funeral.  Why did they even bother to attend, they didn't know the deceased.  Or at least they could have sat in the back so as to not arouse suspicion when they quietly slipped out to search the missing girl's house.

Watts looked really young, and I agree that it seemed certain that Enoch was gay and that he and Watts were possibly a couple.  So after Enoch is killed, Watts decides that he has no place in the community and wanders off again.

Watts looked really young because he didn't have any stubble.  But the Freisen from the other community mentioned how Murdoch looked out of place without a full beard.  Yet nobody commented on his lack of beard.  Why not just apply a fake one?

Curious about why the show had William shown without a shirt.  If he's not in uniform, he's in his pajamas.  Was this to highlight that William was ready to get it on with Julia but oh, they are in separate beds across the room?  Odd directing choice.

Was this the same actor who has been playing Bobby Brackenreid?  Seemed completely different to me, especially the voice.  I guess he's going back to prison because as a new Catholic he must have confessed to wanting to kill that man and thus he was denied parole.

• Like 4

16/21 Murder in F Major, March 20 2023

When the director of Toronto's new symphony is murdered, Murdoch suspects jealous musicians are responsible.

Overall a good mystery and a pleasant episode. 

I laughed at Margaret falling asleep when the music started - I think she's more into music hall.

The appearance of Julia's former stalker beau seemed so random and pointless.  Although they did get a good fight scene out of it, up high in the rafters.

Otherwise, everything was good although there isn't really too much to say about it.

• Like 4

16/21 Murder in F Major, March 20 2023

I enjoyed the episode as well but could have done without the Julia's suitor subplot.  I was somewhat annoyed that she was so taken with all the flowers he sent, especially when she told Effie that he had been slightly creepy previously. 

I did like everyone's reactions to classical music and especially George's logical questions about the conductor's role.  I mostly figured out the who done it part but there were enough red herrings to make the journey enjoyable. 

I am sorry we are nearing the end of the season but I guess it really does mean spring is arriving.  I am still enjoying the whole show enough to keep my fingers crossed for a season 17. 

• Like 5

16/22 Scents and Sensibility, March 27 2023

When a bride mysteriously collapses and dies before her wedding, Murdoch suspects she was poisoned by her perfume.

I enjoyed this episode. Rupert Newsome is equally annoying/hilarious.  Crabtree seems to hate him as much as he hated his brother, Roger Newsome. But, at least Rupert was able to help pin down the poison that killed the bride.

I liked seeing Miss Hart and Julia working together - I think they've done this before in some previous season.

I have no pity at all for the murderer.  If she couldn't afford to keep up and felt humiliated by her friend and the others, she should have just moved on and got into a different circle of friends who had more in common with her.

I am looking forward to the last two episodes of the season.

Spoiler tag, just in case:

Spoiler

I'll be really, really bummed and saddened if Brackenreid actually does leave.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Trey said:

16/22 Scents and Sensibility, March 27 2023

I enjoyed this episode. Rupert Newsome is equally annoying/hilarious.  Crabtree seems to hate him as much as he hated his brother, Roger Newsome. But, at least Rupert was able to help pin down the poison that killed the bride.

I liked seeing Miss Hart and Julia working together - I think they've done this before in some previous season.

I have no pity at all for the murderer.  If she couldn't afford to keep up and felt humiliated by her friend and the others, she should have just moved on and got into a different circle of friends who had more in common with her.

I am looking forward to the last two episodes of the season.

Spoiler tag, just in case:

Hide contents

I'll be really, really bummed and saddened if Brackenreid actually does leave.

I liked it too. It seemed more like Original Recipe Murdoch.

• Like 5

16/22 Scents and Sensibility, March 27, 2023

Count me in with those who enjoyed this episode.  Thomas and Margaret are always a delight to watch together - especially their reactions to where the gift came from/what it was/what he would be doing to make it up to her.  Loved Effie's commentary on society weddings.

Miss Hart and Julia were fun and I really enjoyed Miss Hart staring down Rupert at the crime scene after he wasn't listening to either William or George.  Clearly, he knows to obey strong women.  

Did get a little confused on who all the bridesmaids were and how they connected to the bride but that may have been on me (my viewing got interrupted for a wonderful reason - one of my neighbors brought me over some of their Ramadan dinner).

I agree with @peacheslatour - it did feel old school in the best possible way.  Like @Trey I am worried about the possibilities indicated in the preview for last two episodes but hope it is a temporary situation or a misdirect.  

Edited by Grundoon59
Too much blank space in post
  • Like 6

16/23 The Long Goodbye, Part One 4/3/23

I don't want to give away the plot but yikes what was that?  Lovely to see so many core characters but I don't think I was happy about what happened to any of them.  Hopefully Part Two will resolve some of the plot strands in a way that leaves the characters in better circumstances.  Last night left me feeling a little unsettled.  

I do have a couple of historical questions if anyone knows.  Was "Toronto the Good" really such an oppressive thing?  From viewing Frankie Drake, it appears the City was somewhat more accepting in the 1920s (but that could partly just be the post WWI reactions to life) - any insights would be appreciated.

Also where was the Annex that George & Effie were referring to for their house?  I have a limited idea of Toronto geography from visits over the years but was curious about how far out of town and in which direction they were talking about.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

@peacheslatour - I actually agree (and realize that my initial post didn't accurately reflect that).   In terms of setting things in motion, it was excellent.  I am just nervously waiting for next week (and I am hoping next season). 

Yeah, me too. I'm kind of nervous that there won't be a next season. Boy, it sure was good to see my buddy Watts and he is going to fight this. BTW, did they mention where Julia was?

• Like 2

@peacheslatour - Julia had two scenes that I remember - one early with William where she was depressed about the lack of funding for the Womens' Clinic and the other at the train station with George/Effie/William and the Brackenreids.  

I am very proud of but very worried for Watts.  I was pleased to see William, George and, to some extent, Higgins try to help him/speak up for him.  

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

@peacheslatour - Julia had two scenes that I remember - one early with William where she was depressed about the lack of funding for the Womens' Clinic and the other at the train station with George/Effie/William and the Brackenreids.  

I am very proud of but very worried for Watts.  I was pleased to see William, George and, to some extent, Higgins try to help him/speak up for him.  

Oh no wonder I missed it. We came in at the 15 minute mark because we almost forgot. Thank heavens my husband did. Thanks, Grundoon!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

16/23 The Long Goodbye, Part One 4/3/23I do have a couple of historical questions if anyone knows.  Was "Toronto the Good" really such an oppressive thing?  From viewing Frankie Drake, it appears the City was somewhat more accepting in the 1920s (but that could partly just be the post WWI reactions to life) - any insights would be appreciated.

Also where was the Annex that George & Effie were referring to for their house?  I have a limited idea of Toronto geography from visits over the years but was curious about how far out of town and in which direction they were talking about.

If I'm recalling correctly, in Frankie Drake they mostly drank either in speakeasies or the homemade stuff.

When my family moved to Toronto in 1961, the saying was that you could shoot a cannon ball up Yonge Street (the major street and incidentally the longest street in the world) on Sunday and not hit anyone. And it was true.  There were no outdoor patios where you could eat (that came later with the Italian immigrants). No stores were open on Sunday or theatres and my parents were shocked when they attended a professional meeting and when it came time to move from the lounge to the dining room, everyone picked up their drinks and took them with them because there was no alcohol served in dining room. When I was 17, I was stopped from going into the basement room at the O'Keefe Centre (now the Meridan Centre) during intermission because there was alcohol served there and I was underage and couldn't be in the same room as people drinking. You couldn't just go to a grocery store and buy a bottle of beer or wine, you had to go to the government liquor store and fill out a card with what you wanted to buy and then an employee went behind the door and brought it out.  That changed in the 70s I think but buying alcohol in large supermarkets was only legal a few years ago.

The province's liquor laws are legendarily strict and often bizarre. Even before the sale of alcohol was prohibited in 1916, the only way to legally purchase booze previous to the ban was by prescription.

When prohibition was finally lifted in 1927, the authorities made sure that it was still quite difficult to buy a drink.

It wasn't till 1998 that the final section of the city ceased to be dry. You still can't drink in public parks.

The show exaggerated it to show how nasty the new Inspector is but Toronto really was strict in its pursuit of being 'Toronto the Good'.

I was laughing as George complained about the Annex being so far away because today it's considered a downtown llocation. For those who know Toronto, it's the area east of Avenue Road, north to Dupont Street, south to Bloor Street, and west of Bathurst. It's a very desirable place to live nowadays because it's within walking distance of the University of Toronto.

It's called the Annex because it is was the first area annexed to the original city of Toronto in the 1880's. If you're there, the Bata Shoe Museum is worth the visit.

• Like 4
  • Useful 4

@statsgirl - thanks for the info.  I was visiting Toronto from probably the late 60s onward but as a kid, I wasn't really in tune with such things.  I do remember the government liquor stores in NOTL and the Stratford area when I was there for theater (probably saw them in Windsor as well but they didn't register).  It is kind of ironic that the Niagara Region has so many wineries now. 

The Sunday closures probably weren't a big deal to me since I am sure most trips were weekend getaways and we would have been heading back home to Detroit on Sunday.  

Thanks also for the information on the Annex - I know the general area you are talking about.  

• Like 4
(edited)

While I enjoyed the last two episodes very much, I'm pretty nervous about what is going to happen to the show next week. 

I've missed Henry's wife this season, but it's been a strange season with a lot less full cast participation than in previous seasons. 

I guess we will find out soon! (About the characters and about the show.)

Also, for the more observant of us, what on earth was Murdoch having for breakfast? Is he known for lining his food up like that? I haven't noticed that as a character trait before. 

Just wondering. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Like 5
On 10/25/2022 at 4:34 PM, Trey said:

Murdoch and the Sonic Boom 16:07 Oct. 24 2022

Another episode I really enjoyed even if it did bring back a villain from the past.  Allan Clegg is finally, really dead.  I thought Julia looked like she could hardly wait to get a scalpel into his body to make darn good and sure that he was dead.

And Meyers was not as annoying as usual.

It's a good thing Bell was there to help them out or things would have ended really badly.

I did not catch that Taft's man - I've forgotten his name - was a bad guy but my son did.  He was very pleased that he is a better detective than I am.

And it's always good to see Margaret.  I'm glad she is still working at the clinic with Julia.

I groaned when Terence Meyers showed up, ugh.  It was predictable that Clegg would return eventually, and I take it he is really dead now?  But I would not at all be surprised if he comes back again, and it is revealed that this Clegg that died was someone who had plastic surgery to look like him.  Or a twin.  It's too much to hope that he's gone for good.

I was a little bit lost on the science and the sound waves, but otherwise it was a decent episode.  Nice to see Henry getting to do a lot because of the absences of George and Watts.

Jonny Harris has always seemed to disappear from time to time to do his other stuff, and it's easy to send George on his honeymoon.  But why the continued absence of Watts?  Did they write this storyline for him to accomodate the actor's schedule?  Is he involved in something else at the moment?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

But why the continued absence of Watts?  Did they write this storyline for him to accomodate the actor's schedule?  Is he involved in something else at the moment?

I don't know if he's involved in anything else right now but he is not one of the stars of the show, more of a recurring character - a major recurring character - but he isn't going to be in every episode.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Trey said:

I don't know if he's involved in anything else right now but he is not one of the stars of the show, more of a recurring character - a major recurring character - but he isn't going to be in every episode.

He's in another CBC show Essex County.

Edited by argrow
  • Useful 6
On 11/1/2022 at 6:39 PM, Trey said:

I Still Know What You Did Last Autumn Season 16 Episode 8 October 31 2022

It was a good mystery but it was too grim for my taste.  I like my Halloween episodes to have a good amount of humour in them. The last scene was adorable but it just didn't make up for the grimness.

On 11/2/2022 at 11:10 AM, Grundoon59 said:

I Still Know What You Did Last Autumn Season 16 Episode 8 - October 31 2022

I am glad I saw the episode but am not sure I can say I enjoyed it.  I agree with @Trey, it was a little grim for me and also a little too frenetic.  I couldn't quite keep track of who was who and when the next clown was going to pop up from who knows where.  It may have been that I was just tired from a long day of driving (returning home after a wonderful vacation) and that I may have been jittery at being alone in the house watching a spooky episode. 

I have grown quite fond of Louise Cherry as a character and while she now has financial success, I hope she does find personal happiness as well.  Can't wait to see Watts and Crabtree next week. 

I agree with these comments, I didn't like the Clown Murders episode the first time, and I didn't care for the return of the clown costume.  I also had trouble keeping track of who was who.  But I attribute that to my longseated confusion on this show about many of the women on this show.  I've mentioned this before, but I get confused because many of the women have the same shade of blondish hair and they all have that garlic bulb hairstyle.  If you put Louise Cherry, George's evil stalker, Freddie Pink, William's baby mama, the actress killer from this episode all in a lineup, I honestly think I would be hard pressed to attach the correct names to each.

How is it that the costume woman was able to get into the station house without being seen at all?  There should have been lots of people in the office and yet she's able to creep up to right behind William?  Not believable.

I used to find Louise Cherry extremely irritating.  She was way better in this episode and I did get a kick out of Julia wanting acknowledgement of her role in the first murders and then saving Louise, and Louise is all "nope, that will be me, it's less confusing".

Also thought it was great that William dressed up.  I remember the Halloween episode of last year (? or maybe the year before) where he was supposed to get into a costume and we never got to see it.

• Like 5

The Long Goodbye Part 2 Season 16 Episode 24 -April 10 2023

Disgusted by the new Inspector’s tactics, Murdoch resigns and is privately enlisted to find a missing heiress.

I enjoyed this episode so much.  The Brackenreids will be returning, Watts is rejoining the constabulary, Crabtree is getting the recognition he deserves, and the wretched new inspector has been given the boot. Plus, Miss Hart is happy and was instrumental in saving Watts' life and they are good friends.

Did not like Higgins and Crabtree being beaten up by other cops.

I also enjoyed the cotw with all its twists and turns.  Quite the unexpected ending to the case! I know the Murdochs will be all right but I am very curious as to the main objective of the father/daughter criminals.

Yes, it will be a really long summer!

• Applause 6

The Long Goodbye Part 2 Season 16 Episode 24 -April 10 2023

I agree with everything you said @Trey and will add that I am glad Miss Cherry did the right thing by the end.  I was also pleased so many people cared about Watts (including Miss Cherry) that he finally realized his voice did matter and that he needed to accept their help.  

I was counting on the Brackenreids returning (but realized I was using a web-episode of Frankie Drake as my "proof") so happy to see some evidence last night that they were not finding Yorkshire as good a fit for them as they anticipated.  

An excellent cliffhanger for the end of the season but having been burned by Frankie Drake, I am not sure I will rest easy until I see confirmation of Season 17's existence.

• Like 6
31 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

An excellent cliffhanger for the end of the season but having been burned by Frankie Drake, I am not sure I will rest easy until I see confirmation of Season 17's existence.

Anything can happen but I don't really see them just ending this long-running show without a proper season to end the series.  We usually hear the renewal announcement sometime in May so I'll be watching for it.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Odd, the Ovation site has removed all of the Season 16 episodes.  It usually has all episodes from the past few seasons and then 5 episodes of the current season.  Last week I watched "I Still Know What You Did Last Autumn".

I missed the "Honeymoon in Hampshire" episode which aired Saturday because I was changing TV services... went on the website this morning and found that all Season 16 episodes are gone and only the "behind the scenes" snippets are available.  Wonder why.  Hope they come back!

• Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Odd, the Ovation site has removed all of the Season 16 episodes.  It usually has all episodes from the past few seasons and then 5 episodes of the current season.  Last week I watched "I Still Know What You Did Last Autumn".

I missed the "Honeymoon in Hampshire" episode which aired Saturday because I was changing TV services... went on the website this morning and found that all Season 16 episodes are gone and only the "behind the scenes" snippets are available.  Wonder why.  Hope they come back!

I noticed the same thing. The removal seemed to coincide with Acorn starting to show the first few episodes from Season 16. I wonder whether Acorn has an exclusive once they begin to air the episodes precluding Ovation from then showing them?

• Useful 2
On 4/12/2023 at 10:23 AM, LisaM said:

I noticed the same thing. The removal seemed to coincide with Acorn starting to show the first few episodes from Season 16. I wonder whether Acorn has an exclusive once they begin to air the episodes precluding Ovation from then showing them?

I wrote to Ovation support and actually got a response:

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our website and Ovation NOW apps have undergone an update and are now focusing on our library of content available to stream with no cable provider login.

To catch up on NEW Season 16 Murdoch Mysteries episodes, you can do so directly with your cable provider’s OnDemand option.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Ovation NOW Support

So it looks like they want people who don't have cable access to be able to watch shows on their website.  And thus they have removed all current season episodes.

My issue is that I don't have cable, I have Direct TV.  Direct TV doesn't have an "on demand" option like Comcast cable.

I'm going to write back to them and ask where that leaves people who are in my situation.  I pay for the channel, but have no ability to watch this episode that I missed until either 1) Ovation re-runs them all again, or 2) DVD gets released.

• Like 1