Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Get Ready

Rachel RSL

Hahahaha! After all that, it wasn’t even an asteroid! This entire series has been so predictable, right down to Dylan being Nero, but I never saw that twist coming! 

So are Long John Silver and Uncle Fucker just floating around in space for no reason? LMAO!

Oh please let this ridiculous show get renewed!

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Hahahaha! After all that, it wasn’t even an asteroid! This entire series has been so predictable, right down to Dylan being Nero, but I never saw that twist coming! 

So are Long John Silver and Uncle Fucker just floating around in space for no reason? LMAO!

15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

So, aliens from outer space? Or. . . ?

It reminded me a lot of Under the Dome, especially the last season where they went completely off the walls and ended up with aliens as well.

• Love 3

"This is not a dream! This is reality!"

"This is literal insanity!" 

They are just messing with us, right? 

If the asteroid is going to "miss," then the nukes don't matter because they'll miss the target which won't be where it's supposed to be? The jeopardy is fake. If Darius had figures out it was a giant alien spaceship, he should have said so before twenty seconds was left on the clock.

Isn't this is one of the rare instances of a deus ex machina, with FX playing the "machina" and the salvation by asteroid making it effectly "deus."

Lastly, isn't this taken from The 4400?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, sjohnson said:

"This is not a dream! This is reality!"

"This is literal insanity!" 

They are just messing with us, right? 

If the asteroid is going to "miss," then the nukes don't matter because they'll miss the target which won't be where it's supposed to be? The jeopardy is fake. If Darius had figures out it was a giant alien spaceship, he should have said so before twenty seconds was left on the clock.

Isn't this is one of the rare instances of a deus ex machina, with FX playing the "machina" and the salvation by asteroid making it effectly "deus."

Lastly, isn't this taken from The 4400?

It's the writers making stuff up for a last minute twist, not even Darius' genius can have a solution for that.

Edited by Free
  • Love 4

The Earth is pathetic, in all that time they couldn't come up with a single plan to save themselves. The writers knew they had to put Darius in a coma for 44 days or he would have come up with 10 plans to save the Earth and this would have required another season before they reached their dramatic reveal. Here's hoping that the Aliens know how to cure Darius' disease, because he is the only one of us worth saving. With every rich guy trying to build a rocket these days, I wonder which ones have been colluding with the Aliens.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

So this, on everything. I did NOT see that coming. Once they started talking about neutrinos I thought it was going to be that some space anomaly had just pushed the asteroid off course or something.  And then I was confused about the moving forward and backward stuff, but still didn't catch on. Right up until the moment Darius said it wasn't an asteroid. Then I giggled the rest of the episode. This is like the perfect summer fluff show for me. I don't care how ridiculous it is. I like enough of the characters and overall am entertained enough that I am in for as long as it's on air--I need at least one of these types of shows to be on air every year, and this one fits the bill perfectly. Bring on the aliens or whatever happens next.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 15

I do believe the folks on the Ark are screwed.  Loved that development!

Grace and Harris are married, right?

No reason afterall for the replacement VP, now Prez to be a former astronaut.  Was that the writers keeping their options open because they didn't know what they were going to do, or to mess with us?

Just because The Thing missed earth doesn't mean it isn't trashing the moon.  Something goes wrong with the moon, like being moved slightly off course, there goes the earth.

What has been especially frustrating this series has been the inability to understand what is being said during critical moments.  My ability to turn on closed captioning is in the other room.  Too far away.  What were Darius' last words?  "It's here"?

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Nicholas and Bass escape on the Ark. Didn't anybody remember to invite women on board. I Christen thee "The USS Sausagefest".

So much for propagating the species. I thought it was Bass's job as cruise director to arrange all that, but I guess he decided space shuffleboard and unlimited freeze dried shrimp was good enough?

Salvation Deleted Scenes:

Nora: Bass is coming for me, I’ve been chosen! [Points gun at Jillian, then turns to face intruders bursting in]

[Alonzo shoots Nora. He is apparently a better shot than her.]

Alonzo: They told me this was way out of my jurisdiction as a DC police detective, but I thought, ah f*ck that, it’s the end of the world baby!

=============

Darius: Don’t launch the nukes! The asteroid won’t hit Earth!

Harris: What? But the calculations…

Darius: It took me two seasons to realize it, but Liam is a huge dope. His math is all wrong!

Harris: I wasn’t prepared to believe you, but at last you are making sense.

============

Alycia: Nero isn’t a person, it’s a mask, worn by the current leader, on a rotating basis, I was next in line.

Liam: You know what this means, don’t you?

Alycia: Oh no, please no.

Liam: Oh yes…Tess, Karaoke mode. [Sings]

I, I will be King

And you, you will be Queen

Though nothing will drive Samson away

We can be Neroes just for one day

We can be him just for one day

==========

Jillian: What’s it doing?

Darius: Hovering

Grace: Like a humming bird!

Harris: If it’s not an asteroid, what the hell is it?

History Channel Weird Hair Guy: I told you it was aliens!

Klaatu: Now that you have successfully exiled your evil overlords on that primitive space ship, your planet is welcome to join our galactic federation.

Darius: You could have contacted us and we wouldn’t have tried so hard to destroy your vessel, we thought it was a deadly asteroid.

Klaatu: We thought about giving you a call, but the roaming charges in this part of the galaxy are murder.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 8
28 minutes ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

So much for propagating the species. I thought it was Bass's job as cruise director to arrange all that, but I guess he decided space shuffleboard and unlimited freeze dried shrimp was good enough?

Salvation Deleted Scenes:

Nora: Bass is coming for me, I’ve been chosen! [Points gun at Jillian, then turns to face intruders bursting in]

[Alonzo shoots Nora. He is apparently a better shot than her.]

Alonzo: They told me this was way out of my jurisdiction as a DC police detective, but I thought, ah f*ck that, it’s the end of the world baby!

=============

Darius: Don’t launch the nukes! The asteroid won’t hit Earth!

Harris: What? But the calculations…

Darius: It took me two seasons to realize it, but Liam is a huge dope. His math is all wrong!

Harris: I wasn’t prepared to believe you, but at last you are making sense.

============

Alycia: Nero isn’t a person, it’s a mask, worn by the current leader, on a rotating basis, I was next in line.

Liam: You know what this means, don’t you?

Alycia: Oh no, please no.

Liam: Oh yes…Tess, Karaoke mode. [Sings]

I, I will be King

And you, you will be Queen

Though nothing will drive Samson away

We can be Neroes just for one day

We can be him just for one day

==========

Jillian: What’s it doing?

Darius: Hovering

Grace: Like a humming bird!

Harris: If it’s not an asteroid, what the hell is it?

History Channel Weird Hair Guy: I told you it was aliens!

Klaatu: Now that you have successfully exiled your evil overlords on that primitive space ship, your planet is welcome to join our galactic federation.

Darius: You could have contacted us and we wouldn’t have tried so hard to destroy your vessel, we thought it was a deadly asteroid.

Klaatu: We thought about giving you a call, but the roaming charges in this part of the galaxy are murder.

These are always funny but this deleted dialogue post is particularly inspired.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, redpencil said:

Once they started talking about neutrinos I thought it was going to be that some space anomaly had just pushed the asteroid off course or something. 

*Sigh* I hope it is a scientifically plausible reason. 
It doesn't have to be space aliens.
I suppose I can accept aliens if they aren't corporeal in the show.
Something like this might be okay:

16 hours ago, Krupp said:

I see it now season 3 plot, its an artificial intelligence and only Tess can communicate with it.

I wonder if they're going be to sorry that they outed the identity of Nero instead of having it be a space alien entity.
But I'd still prefer the not-asteroid being giant magnetic mineral deposits.
That could still require another season's worth of the earth needing some rescuing.

15 hours ago, Brooks said:

Just because The Thing missed earth doesn't mean it isn't trashing the moon.  Something goes wrong with the moon, like being moved slightly off course, there goes the earth.

Seriously. That last CGI shot didn't look too good for tides and whatnot.

I do believe the folks on the Ark are screwed.  Loved that development!

Oh yes! I do hope we get to see them realizing they have no idea how to change the spark plugs.

My ability to turn on closed captioning is in the other room.  Too far away.  What were Darius' last words?  "It's here"?

"If it's not an asteroid, what the hell is it? Whatever it is it's here."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

Got to see this episode at last – a little late, since my source has been ill.

You know, we really shouldn't be surprised by that twist in the tail, given that the show started with a story about an asteroid that turned out to be controlled and guided rather than random. Project Whatever-it-was-called turned out to be Chekhov's Gun after all! So the question is: did the writers plan this all along? Or are they still making it all up as they go along? I mean, they've obviously been making up a lot of the fine detail as they go along, and they copped to that way back in season one, but I do wonder if 'It isn't really an asteroid after all' was always the plan to keep the show going beyond the original 180-odd day countdown in the initial scope.

I thought it was a strong, enjoyable finale. Absolutely insane (and not just Darius) but that's what this show is all about: it embraces its own absurdity and just runs with it, and I have enjoyed the madness thoroughly.

I've got to say, the most painful part of Darius's waking nightmare at the start of the episode was the fact that most of the things he was hallucinating everyone saying to him were things they have already said to his face. He only got involved in all this in the first place because Grace asked him to save the world, and since then he has faced doubters on all sides - right down to the wire, only to be proved right at the last.

Given last week's revelation that paper money is now useless, I've been wondering how all these characters are actually living, through the ongoing crisis. How is anyone still doing a job if they can't be paid? How do they eat if they are working instead of standing in line for whatever meagre supplies are available? How is the power still on? Enquiring minds would like to know!

I noticed that most of the people Uncle Nick took with him into the Ark were really old. How does he imagine they are going to continue the human race? Pretty sure the 160 need to be of viable breeding age for the survival of the species, if Darius is to be believed (which obviously he is, because Darius is always right in the end).

So...44 days later, Grace finally thought to ask the doctor what was wrong with Darius!

Post-coma Darius looked remarkably healthy for a guy who spent 44 days presumably being tube-fed (not that there was any sign of any such thing) while the whole world fell apart around him. How did they keep the medical unit going all that time? Why were all those people coming to work instead of hunkering down for the end of the world? It sure wasn't for the financial reimbursement! I enjoyed his manic-ness throughout the episode – and that he stopped amid the crazy to feed an abandoned hamster, bless. And then opened its cage to give it the option of freedom, for whatever that might be worth. And I really appreciated that after doubting him all season, Grace supported him to the hilt here, remembering at last all the reasons she fell in love with him in the first place: because he was the one person who always gave her hope.

I like the new president. Shame we didn't get to see more of him.

Kinda mean of Harris to go talking about survival bunkers in front of Darius, who he knows doesn't have a spot since he's been a bit too comatose to even consider trying to find one – and before that was too busy trying to save the world to plan for the worst case.

Leave it to the very end to finally show people wandering the streets with signs proclaiming the end to be nigh!

I've been wondering all season what happened to Jillian's father and Liam's mother – like, did they even know what was going on with their children in the middle of all this apocalypse? And then they both got name-checked in this episode.

I love that the guy Darius talked to in Antarctica was only still there because he got abandoned.  And that someone found time to cover the Pentagon contents in dust sheets!

The government decided not to release prisoners…did they make provision for feeding them, at least, until the apocalypse?

I knew Dylan wasn't dead - at least, I was certain of it at the start of the season, but then episode after episode passed and the show seemed so adamant he was gone that I started to fall for it. I should have known better!

Hey, so not-dead Dylan made it past Pentagon security – scaled-down or not, I'm sure he shouldn't be able to do that!

So Dylan and Zoe have made a pledge to one another…didn't they only know each other a couple of days before Dylan's supposed death?

I hope someone remembers to go get the guy from Antarctica.

Did that soldier call Darius 'President Tanz' at the end there, when they were trying to bust into the Pentagon? He's a bit behind the times!

Well, that ending certainly leaves the story wide open to continue next year...but I'm not going to hold my breath for renewal. I don't think the cast expect to be back - everything they posted on Twitter when filming ended sounded pretty final, I think they expect this to be it.

On 9/18/2018 at 3:51 AM, sjohnson said:

I guess maybe if the asteroid was close enough, it might not have been able to dodge this time, and thus the fiery rain of death would be an issue? I dunno.

On 9/18/2018 at 8:20 AM, redpencil said:

So this, on everything. I did NOT see that coming. Once they started talking about neutrinos I thought it was going to be that some space anomaly had just pushed the asteroid off course or something.  And then I was confused about the moving forward and backward stuff, but still didn't catch on. Right up until the moment Darius said it wasn't an asteroid. Then I giggled the rest of the episode. This is like the perfect summer fluff show for me. I don't care how ridiculous it is. I like enough of the characters and overall am entertained enough that I am in for as long as it's on air--I need at least one of these types of shows to be on air every year, and this one fits the bill perfectly. Bring on the aliens or whatever happens next.

I agree - this show is ridiculous fun and doesn't pretend to be anything more. I've enjoyed it thoroughly.

19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Seriously. That last CGI shot didn't look too good for tides and whatnot.

I think it was just hovering in front of the moon for dramatic purposes and isn't actually that big, perspective and all that - or maybe the chaos cause by another large satellite in orbit becomes another season three issue to resolve!

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 3

Did that soldier call Darius 'President Tanz' at the end there, when they were trying to bust into the Pentagon? He's a bit behind the times!

Any former president is still addressed as "President". I assumed that's what that was.  Also wonder if because he was president Darius also would have had a spot in a bunker. They never said one  way or the other. It was all mostly about whether or not Grace was going to go with Harris.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Brooks said:

I thought it was behind the moon creating a halo.

What about Grace's dad?  The new president won't pardon him.  Did he die of his wounds?

We saw it covering the moon up, it was definitely in front.

Grace's parents remain a dangling loose end. Grace told Zoe they'd left town, but last we heard her dad was injured and being busted out of prison illegally, and we were never told how all that was resolved!

2 hours ago, redpencil said:

Any former president is still addressed as "President". I assumed that's what that was.  Also wonder if because he was president Darius also would have had a spot in a bunker. They never said one  way or the other. It was all mostly about whether or not Grace was going to go with Harris.

Ah, I didn't know that. Confusing.

I'm going to assume there was no bunker spot for Darius, since no one bothered to mention any such thing to him once he woke up. If Grace thought he could join her in the bunker with Harris and Zoe, she would have said so.

I wonder what all those government types will think when they find two rebellious (and pregnant) teenagers in the bunker with them, unattached to any parent figures!

Edited by Llywela

It's humans from the future in a Dyson Sphere--- or is it Tyson?  who passed through a wormhole (any cliched port in a summer series) and ended up in the past.

All sorts of problems about how much future stuff they want to share and how they all wear uniforms with placket fronts and the sphere keeps trying to crash and all the 'people' carry books saying "To Serve Man" and the sphere makes all of the animals go mad and Darius and Billy Burke save the day by the effective use of snark and brains.

Or not.

• Love 1

Or, it's a galactic super race involved in a war with another galactic super race, and they need Earth for human slaves and resource mining.  So, their plan is to subvert the most likely collaborators and herd everyone else into tightly controlled areas.  Colonies, as it were. 

My favorite scene of the night:  Grace, retelling what Darius mumbled in his stupor. "He said something like, 'Get ready'."  "Get ready?  For what?"  Duuuuhh.

Assuming the asteroid was going to impact, what is the point of going into the bunkers?  Who are these plenipotentiaries going to boss around when they come out?  Who is going to supply them with food?

I was sort of hoping that, after the miss, Liam would go back to his calculations and find out that the Asteroid was going to curve around and impact Mars in about three years.  Just in time to coincide with the UncleNickmobile's arrival.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

Assuming the asteroid was going to impact, what is the point of going into the bunkers?  Who are these plenipotentiaries going to boss around when they come out?  Who is going to supply them with food?

I assume it's the same point as going into a bunker in a nuclear holocaust - a last ditch desperate effort to preserve at least some semblance of life. The lucky few hunker down with supplies designed to last however long, hoping to ride out at least the worst of the storm (they were anticipating that the asteroid impact would generate a massive dust storm that would make the surface of the earth uninhabitable for a period of time, right?), and then when the dust settles this tiny remnant of humanity emerges blinking into a post-apocalyptic wasteland and attempts to rebuild. It is dystopian, but it's how most apocalypse planning tends to pan out.

But, like Uncle Nick and his cronies in the Ark, they'd be better off saving young folk of breeding age rather than older folk who just happened to be in positions of power when the apocalypse came, if they want to actually perpetuate the race!

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1

My favorite scene of the night:  Grace, retelling what Darius mumbled in his stupor. "He said something like, 'Get ready'."  "Get ready?  For what?"  Duuuuhh.

An even better (worse) line might have been: 
[Grace]: Darius may be a delusion genius, but he's my delusional genius!

sort of hoping that, after the miss, Liam would go back to his calculations and find out that the Asteroid was going to curve around and impact Mars in about three years.  Just in time to coincide with the UncleNickmobile's arrival.

Hah! That could still happen! 
Of course, there would be a debate between the egos of Darius and Harris about expending effort and resources to save the ark for humanitarian and/or utilitarian reasons.
Grace will side with he's-my-genius-Darius and give Zoe the diamond ring so she can marry Dylan.
Perhaps this alt-series finale will be Darius and Grace alone, holding hands under the stars, getting inexplicably beamed up to who-knows-where, while all other survivors hunker in bunkers. (Not sure if the earth explodes or not.)

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

The Aliens say take me to your leader and of course the world chooses Darius.

Well, yeah - all the actual world leaders are cowering in bunkers already!

I've decided that my favourite part of the episode was Zoe effectively saying, "I may be a pampered 18-year-old shacking up with a guy I barely know to prepare to bring a baby into an uncertain world, but I don't need you to come to the bunker with me, Mom, so you can just stay up here and die, all right?"

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The Aliens say take me to your leader and of course the world chooses Darius.

He's been pushed from the very start of this season quickly making his way up the ranks and even refusing to actually allow him to resign.

Edited by Free
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

An even better (worse) line might have been: 
[Grace]: Darius may be a delusion genius, but he's my delusional genius!

Probably just me, but I never found the relationship between Darius and Grace believable--I always thought Grace and Harris were hot together.  Well she did have a second chance. 

• Love 4
On 9/20/2018 at 3:55 AM, Llywela said:

I assume it's the same point as going into a bunker in a nuclear holocaust - a last ditch desperate effort to preserve at least some semblance of life. The lucky few hunker down with supplies designed to last however long, hoping to ride out at least the worst of the storm (they were anticipating that the asteroid impact would generate a massive dust storm that would make the surface of the earth uninhabitable for a period of time, right?), and then when the dust settles this tiny remnant of humanity emerges blinking into a post-apocalyptic wasteland and attempts to rebuild. It is dystopian, but it's how most apocalypse planning tends to pan out.

But, like Uncle Nick and his cronies in the Ark, they'd be better off saving young folk of breeding age rather than older folk who just happened to be in positions of power when the apocalypse came, if they want to actually perpetuate the race!

ever see Dr Strangelove... all the old croakers saying they can't take their wives but just Young Nubile Women...it was their DUTY!

On 9/20/2018 at 11:07 PM, alvajon said:

Probably just me, but I never found the relationship between Darius and Grace believable--I always thought Grace and Harris were hot together.  Well she did have a second chance. 

It's not just you, I didn't find that relationship at all believable. I don't think Jennifer Finnigan is a very good actress. She pretty much has the same expression all the time.

We were promised an asteroid and got an alien spaceship. After all the crap we've watched them go through over Samson I feel as let down as Ralphie did in A Christmas Story when he found out that Little Orphan Annie's secret message was a commercial. A crummy commercial. Son of a bitch.

Given the fireball we saw, I'd say the object definitely entered Earth's atmosphere and was just hovering in front of the Moon due to perspective. What are the odds that it would enter the side of Earth where Washington was, when they had a full moon. Also, did no one else in the control room want to come outside to see what was going to happen? And what were the objects floating around the hovering non-asteroid formerly known as Samson?

If the show is not renewed I think this could stand as a good series finale too.

• Love 4

Maybe the aliens will cure Darius's Huntingdons and that will be how he and Grace get their happily ever after, since they are clearly intended to be endgame...

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Llywela said:

Maybe the aliens will cure Darius's Huntingdons and that will be how he and Grace get their happily ever after, since they are clearly intended to be endgame...

Or, maybe it's time travelers from the future with medical cures.

40 minutes ago, oompa said:

This show is so ridiculous. I was about to give up on it, but now I've got to see what direction they go with the 'aliens'. We've gone from disaster show to invasion show.

It could also be the remains of an alien ship with no living beings—or not even any remains of living beings.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It could also be the remains of an alien ship with no living beings—or not even any remains of living beings.

But it seemed to stop after entering atmosphere - it didn't impact with Earth. So maybe automated somehow?

Well, if the show is cancelled, as seems likely, we can make up any scenario we please - could be more fun than actually watching what the writers might come up with!

4 hours ago, Llywela said:

Well, if the show is cancelled, as seems likely, we can make up any scenario we please - could be more fun than actually watching what the writers might come up with!

More fun, for sure!

4 hours ago, Llywela said:

But it seemed to stop after entering atmosphere - it didn't impact with Earth. So maybe automated somehow?

Maybe it's because the comic relief scene in Breaking Bad that utilized giant magnets is forever seared into my brain, but I'm going with the not-asteroid's hummingbird-like movements being related to magnetic properties of the object, and I'm hoping for some comic relief to go with it, even though, sadly, with this poor show, it seems left up to us posters to provide ourselves with bits of humor.

Edited by shapeshifter
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Or, maybe it's time travelers from the future with medical cures.

Maybe Long John Silver and Uncle Fucker went through some sort of wormhole, disappeared into the future, and now finally found their way back, only a couple months after they originally left. It was them all along! Dun dun dun!

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Llywela said:

I figure that's what's coming, at least if we get another season.  That's how aliens will go "hey we're your friends"(while doing whatever nefarious thing they are really doing) and initially at least get everyone on their side.  I remember on Stargate SG-1, they had a scenario where these aliens came to earth and seemingly cured all diseases, so everyone was like "hey this is great" but really they sterilized the human race because they were going to take over the planet.

But I remember reading something a while ago saying that retrofitting an asteroid and turning it into a ship could be a possible form of space travel so I figure the writers must have read the same thing somehwere and that's why they had the aliens come to earth in an asteroid.

I have decided that I kinda like this twist after all, because it plays on the limitations of our technology and the assumptions that we draw on really quite flimsy data - I mean, for all the high tech gadgets littering the show, our capacity to probe even relatively near space was shown from the start to be severely limited. That point is made right up front in the teaser, with Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about the thousands of Near Earth objects whose trajectories cross Earth’s orbit, with about 95% identified - leaving a very dangerous 5% that we just don't know about, can't see them until it's too late. That idea then plays into Liam's identification of the Samson asteroid with his grad student software - just one object in space among tens of thousands like it. No advanced deep space probes in this show - objects in space show up as a ping on a radar chart and the scientists interpret those pings as best they can. Asteroid was the obvious assumption, but the limitations of that identification were apparent from the start - and it's been an occasionally recurring theme. I mean, wasn't that why the gravity tractor ended up not working, at the end of season one - because new data became available, demonstrating that previous assumptions about the asteroid were wrong (the old iron core).

(Of course, that data became available because something else crashed into Samson, if I recall correctly, so if it was able to move away from the rail gun slugs, why didn't it avoid that lump of space rock?)

But overall, I kinda love the idea that however advanced we think our technology is, a piloted alien craft could just glide on up to Earth, and our ability to track it and study it is so limited and so slow that we don't realise what it really is until the last moment, there is something all kinds of ironic and delicious about that concept. Even if it isn't quite what we were originally sold!

I kinda want to know where the writers think they are going with this. I would totally watch a third season just to find out.

• Love 2