Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: The Warrior Princess Bride

• Start Topic

Maybe I’ll have more to say later, but right now it’s dusty in here and my eyes seem to be watering. The story of Dutch and Johnny hit me right in that sweet spot of better than I hoped for. I missed this show harder than I had realized. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Wow.  Pretty quiet in here (so far).......

How are Dutch/John not a thing?  I mean, seriously.   You're killing me, Show.  I don't know how anyone can see the stuff I see and say its just "friendship".  Among everything else, there was the stuff with the KJ guy grilling Johnny about his relationship with Dutch & if he had sex dreams about her, the mission itself, Johnny proposing a KJ 'marriage' and then you got Khlyen telling her that Johnny is her "true north" and the only way she can fight/survive The Lady is with John Jaqobis.  That's all either anvilicious about foreshadowing a future romance, or we're being led to believe that this is a friendship/soul-bond that is so strong its only comparisons are mythical legends.  I'm watching either way, but this is the weirdest and most misleading non-romance I've ever seen (if they do indeed stay platonic the whole way through).

Not only did we get the first 'mission' between Dutchess & John, but we got to see the beginning of the wonderful bond between Johnny & Lucy.  Was funny though, when John was poisoned:  Lucy -  "John.  Are you dead yet?".

The "... will save us all" bit.  Does that mean we'll get a living Khlyen back before it's all over?   That would be cool - if he's a good guy.

I haven't seen the promo for next week yet, but I did see the 4-5 minute preview thing and know what will be happening, also seen some promo pics for 4.2 Johnny Dangerously.  I already have some theories about what's likely to happen this season - and/or next - but I'm eager no matter what.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 8

I'm not quite sure what I was expecting for the episode but it wasn't this. I really enjoyed it. HJK is such a treat to watch and yeah, I buy Dutch and Johnny's "stronger than friendship or love" partnership.  But then I'm a pushover for an origin story.  

Killjoys has often reminded me of Firefly and it was there again tonight. The world building really works for me. I'm just sad that it was the past. Looking forward to next week and hopefully we'll see what the current situation is.    

• Love 6

Yay, Killjoys is back!  I was missing this crazy, but fun show, although at least the wait included getting to see Hannah John-Kamen on the big screen for a few films.

I was pretty much unspoiled going in, so I was surprised that it was basically an origin story on how Dutch and John became Killjoys, and how their relationship moved past simply working together.  Certainly seems like they're setting up an actual romance in the long run, so we'll see how that turns out.  Also liked seeing the other tidbits like them meeting Pree for the first time, Turin taking notice, and how Dutch came up with her name.  Oh, and, of course, John and Lucy working together.  I would pay money for a spin-off show starring Lucy and Gideon from Legends of Tomorrow!  Two wiseass, snarky spaceships fighting crime!

I did miss D'Avin though.  That was something I never thought I would say when the show first debuted.

While I'm still not completely sure about all of the logic that is going on in the green goo planet, I still love that the show has found a way to keep Khlyen involved, because Rob Stewart is just that damn awesome.

Can't wait to see where this season goes!

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

I did miss D'Avin though.  That was something I never thought I would say when the show first debuted.

Since it was for just one episode, I can honestly say I didn't miss him.   Not really.  I'm sure he'll get his chances to shine later on.

Although, I must admit some questioning in that he wasn't even mentioned in this episode - (or was he?  I don't remember it, if so) - let alone not making an appearance.  They seemed to make the whole 'hour' literally just about Dutch, John, and their bond.

• Love 2

I liked the episode and I liked the Johnny/Dutch "origin story."  I admit I wish there'd been a couple three minutes for us to check in with D'avin, Johnny and Kendry.  And also Zeph.  Hopefully that's next week.

• Love 1

Oh my God, my Johnny/Dutch heart is exploding! We get their origin, their first missions, how they became Killjoys together, the whole nine yards! We even got a sexy tango dance! I guess them being platonic soulmates is something they could do, but it really looks like they're setting up a love story. My shipper soul has been quenched! Plus, it was fun to engage in more world building, and to see younger versions of some character we know from later. Its a good origin tale, that sets up their relationship and characters really well. 

Not sure what is going on with the goo planet, but this was mostly a backstory episode (and how Johnny is Dutch's True North) so I guess we get to find out more of whats going on in the current timeline next week. I missed seeing D'avin along with the rest of the characters, but we will get plenty of them the rest of the season I assume, so I was happy to get to see the early days of Dutch and Johnny before she was Dutch. Awww Duchess! Also, I dont know what I want to see more in the current timeline, Prees silver eyebrows, or Johnny's eyeliner! Also, Johnny was totally down with working as a hooker before Dutch gave it a hard no. 

We also get the start of Lucy and Johnny, the other OTP of the show! "Are you dead yet?" And even assassins ship Johnny/Dutch apparently. Its just great to have this show back, its such a good time, but with some really solid science fiction world building and character work. I am still bitter about Dark Matter no longer being part of my weekend space two hours of power, but I am still happy to have what we have. 

#stopcancelinggenreshows2018

• Love 12

What was up with all the eye shadow on Johnny? It was really blatant in some scenes. 

Even with all this origin story, I don’t know why Dutch kept Johnny. Twu Luv wouldn’t have been enough for someone like Dutch.

• Love 1

So what was with the symbol that Khylen made at the end?  It was also flashed on the wall when Dutch and Johnny were brought in to the RAC. is it a false memory that he’s implanted in Dutch?

i love the origin of her name!

• Love 1

Hmm, I seem to be in the minority but I wasn't too fond of this. So I'll keep this short.

The Good: We finally got the origin of her name.

The Bad: No D'avin and not enough Pree.

The Ugly: Johnny's eyeliner, yikes!

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

So what was with the symbol that Khylen made at the end?  It was also flashed on the wall when Dutch and Johnny were brought in to the RAC. is it a false memory that he’s implanted in Dutch?

Have we ever gotten a true origin story for the "Red 17" subplot of the show, or a true end to it?  Maybe it has something to do with that.

Otherwise, the only other thing I can think is its the symbol that The Lady uses for her forces.

- - - - - - -

Maybe I missed it in my "D/J = OTP" haze with all the shippyness action going on on-screen, but why did the assassin go after Johnny again?  I thought I remember a mention of being because he was getting in her way, but even if that was the case, who was the true target??

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
On 7/21/2018 at 12:57 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I already have some theories about what's likely to happen this season - and/or next - but I'm eager no matter what.

Sadly, this is the last season

On 7/21/2018 at 4:00 AM, thuganomics85 said:

I am almost certain the actor was the voice heard when docking.

On 7/21/2018 at 4:27 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Although, I must admit some questioning in that he [Davin] wasn't even mentioned in this episode - (or was he?  I don't remember it, if so) -

Nope, he was NOT mentioned, Johnny never told Dutch(ess) about his brother until the episode where he was introduced in season 1.

Oh, you are correct, it was renewed for 2 seasons (such short seasons), so this one and then one more. My bad, I got all boggled up because it was announced the same time Dark Matter was announced as canceled (which was a crime against entertainment).

On 7/21/2018 at 7:25 PM, MissLucas said:

Hmm, I seem to be in the minority but I wasn't too fond of this. So I'll keep this short.

The Good: We finally got the origin of her name.

The Bad: No D'avin and not enough Pree.

The Ugly: Johnny's eyeliner, yikes!

I’m with you. I didn’t really like this one. I did like the origin story, but the rest I didn’t. I don’t like the whole clone storyline anyway. 

8 hours ago, diebartdie said:

Nope, he was NOT mentioned, Johnny never told Dutch(ess) about his brother until the episode where he was introduced in season 1.

I was thinking it was weird that he wasn't mentioned by Khlyen, when telling the story and other things.   Even as a side-mention like "the Jaqobis brothers".

2 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I was thinking it was weird that he wasn't mentioned by Khlyen, when telling the story and other things.   Even as a side-mention like "the Jaqobis brothers".

The story wasn't just a story.  Khlyen was basically installing a kind of defense mechanism into Dutch.  Any deviation or distraction from that installation means Dutch gets killed/captured/eaten by The Lady.

• Love 1

Great episode!  Love seeing the origin story, or at least the origin of how they became Killjoys.  And it took me a bit to realize that the ship was Dutch's and they met because John tried to steal it.  So I'd love to see that, how Dutch didn't just kill John outright, but somehow bonded enough with him to get up into all sorts of crazy hyjinks.  

• Love 2

I am a sucker for an origin story. As always, some great laughs (I had to rewind after the debutante carrot line). I also missed D'avin because I like the dynamic of them together, but I loved the "still feeling each other out" phase and Dutch (squee at the explanation for her name) as a vulnerable badass is always awesome. As with last season, the cuts between two stories were a little awkward and took me out of the story, but there was a good payoff last year for that and I imagine there would have been dissatisfaction from a lot of people if no acknowledgement of the cliffhanger was included in the episode. 

I didn't recognize Big Joe from the prior episode but I am now sad we don't get more of him. His deadpan was brilliant. 

• Love 1
On 7/24/2018 at 11:14 AM, Hanahope said:

Great episode!  Love seeing the origin story, or at least the origin of how they became Killjoys.  And it took me a bit to realize that the ship was Dutch's and they met because John tried to steal it.  So I'd love to see that, how Dutch didn't just kill John outright, but somehow bonded enough with him to get up into all sorts of crazy hyjinks.  

I can’t recall what episode it was shown in, but I could swear we’ve already seen at least one flashback of John trying to steal Lucy from Dutch.

• Love 2