Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04 Indivisible 2018.07.16

If the Internet is down, but the cell phones are still working, couldn't they have figured out a way to transfer the video. I wonder if something is going to happen to Grace's phone before the video will be transferred.

• Love 2

That was actually quite intense, like the whole time. I'm glad the detective guy actually has something useful to do now other than badger everyone about his sister. It'd be cool if he became someone to trust down the road, and not go the cliche route of him finding out and going all full revenge mode.

Also, Liam is kind of an idiot. How does he not stop to question what that woman (whose name I can't remember) did to make Darius hate her so intensely. He's trusting her side way too easily.

• Love 7

I liked that they showed the cop as a good guy. It's easy to kind of root against him because Grace is our protagonist, but he's not a bad guy. It was nice to see them working together. Of course, that will go out the window once the truth is revealed... to maybe be reversed again, at least into acceptance, when he realizes his sister's traitorous actions. All drawn out for greatest dramatic effect.

Withheld information again. What is Darius's side of the story about Alycia? If he'd just explain her supposed evilness, rather than talking about how evil she is, it would save a lot of time. He and Liam both looked like asses; neither one would listen.

Didn't like that they shut down the internet without taking one minute to check in with Grace again since they knew she was recording the statement. Be at the Pentagon, be ready, but check with her! People had already stormed the hospital. Would another minute have hurt?

3 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I wonder if something is going to happen to Grace's phone before the video will be transferred.

I hope not. I kept expecting Cheng to die before he could make the statement. Even so, with so many stops and starts, I wonder if there will be some case made for it being edited and therefore unreliable. The last, crucial part was intact, so again, I hope not. There are surprises that elevate, but when it's one after another after another after another, it's kind of exhausting. Of course someone blew up the helicopter!

Did Grace's phone get smashed?

If so, will Chief Justice Cheng die/be killed before he can repeat his statement?

Will both presidents try to nominate a replacement?

Will Congress be.... divided?

Sorry. I started out seriously and descended. I really do want to like this show. Sometimes there's just too much to ignore.

• Love 3

I keep wondering if, knowing there's a comet headed towards Earth people would really care about Presidential succession squabbling or whether they would focus on that to not have to think about the comet. Me, I'd be doing research to find out where the best place to try and survive is and head there.

They did make this tense, and I did appreciate that the cop really is a good guy.

• Love 4

My best laugh was, after all the bickering and haranguing Mrs. Chang to get her consent to possibly kill her husband in the name of national security, Grace interrupts the video testimony to take a phone call!   I would have liked it better if he had stumbled at the end and mumbled "the rightful President is McKenzie. Wait, which one was that, again?"

And, of course, anyone who puts on a white lab coat is automatically allowed free rein in the hospital. 

"How are we going to get people to get off their asses and work on this project" "We'll pay them money." "Money is not a concern right now."  "Alright, then, a shitload of money.  One million spacebucks!"

• Love 4
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

If the Internet is down, but the cell phones are still working, couldn't they have figured out a way to transfer the video. 

A low tech solution would be for Grace to play the recording while someone on the other end recorded. For example, even though my iPhone 5 can't walk and chew gum at the same time record while being used as a phone, I can put it on speaker and record with an old iPad mini.
But I guess Liam wasn't there to think of that. </snark>

When Alyssa(?) surreptitiously put her hand in Liam's pocket to take the flash drive with the TESS-killing virus on it, right before she said, "you're not leaving with this," I initially thought she was slipping Liam a message for Darius—like she was not really a loyal Re/Syst member. If Darius hadn't been so passionate about her being in league with Satan, I would think that Darius had manipulated Liam to go back and help her. IDK. It could still be true. And Alyssa(?) didn't hand off the virus to a flunky to be destroyed either.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, redpencil said:

Also, Liam is kind of an idiot. How does he not stop to question what that woman (whose name I can't remember) did to make Darius hate her so intensely. He's trusting her side way too easily.

Yeah that was really dumb, especially with all that's going on.

That missile at the end though...LMAO!  I love this ridiculous show.

"Vice President Prick" had me rolling.  So many unintentional laughs this episode, as always. When Grace stopped recording the judge to take a phone call I almost lost it.  (And if I were the judge's wife, I would have told Grace to take a hike.)

9 hours ago, mertensia said:

I keep wondering if, knowing there's a comet headed towards Earth people would really care about Presidential succession squabbling

No. I truly believe 99.999999% of the people on the planet couldn't care less about anything except stopping the asteroid. They certainly wouldn't be swarming the streets and attacking a hospital because of a tweet. 

I'm sad that Darius and his boyfriend Liam broke up. I hope they make up soon because now Darius' staff consists of Jillian and Harris' random bartender/genius hookup. The Earth is doomed.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, mertensia said:

I keep wondering if, knowing there's a comet headed towards Earth people would really care about Presidential succession squabbling or whether they would focus on that to not have to think about the comet. Me, I'd be doing research to find out where the best place to try and survive is and head there.

They did make this tense, and I did appreciate that the cop really is a good guy.

I think that's what is bugging me about this season. All this political BS is taking up the whole show, meanwhile the asteroid/comet may wipe out the world population anyway, so who really cares. Why would it matter if you are president if the world is destroyed ?

I liked this show last year & defended it as a fun summer show, but I'm having a hard time caring this year. It's just so dumb and uninteresting ( to me). Manufactured drama, like the Liam/Tanz tiff, which we all know will work itself out in a few episodes, just seems silly to me. I was kind of pumped when Taylor Cole came on board, because I like her, but she's been onscreen very little overall.

I will watch till the end of this run, but unless it improves, probably won't watch the next one, assuming it is renewed.

• Love 1

I think all the presidential stuff is meant to matter to the general public because whoever controls the government also controls the effort to save the world from the asteroid - although for my own sanity I'm going to assume that other nations are also attempting to solve the problem themselves, just that none of them are talking to the US about their ideas, which ties in with the whole thrust of the show about mankind being our own worst enemy.

Anyway, I imagine the panic over the asteroid is making it easier for Bennett to stir the public up into a frenzy - if he can make enough people believe that he and only he can save the world, then he can also manipulate those people into the mob action we see in this episode, because they will also believe that only by reinstating him as president will he be able to follow through on that promise. Of course, it seems to be only a matter of days ago, in the show's timeline, that Joe Public was similarly enthusiastic about Darius, which was why McKenzie made him her vice president, but what the heck, panic-stricken people are fickle!

• Love 5
15 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

If the Internet is down, but the cell phones are still working, couldn't they have figured out a way to transfer the video. I wonder if something is going to happen to Grace's phone before the video will be transferred.

I believe the cell phone data network still uses the Internet backbone for routing. The SMS instant messages would still work, but even if that supported video, it would take forever. 

OTOH, TV stations and the military can transmit remote video via direct satellite links. It would be a surprise if neither of those was already set up at the hospital. Of course, the riot still could have made that untenable.

"Nine out of ten helicopter explosions occur in the final minutes of a TV program. Pilots, be safe, do not attempt to land in the vicinity of an episode ending-cliffhanger. A message from the Helicopter Safety Board."

I really wish Harris had something to do other than get pwned by Darius in every single disagreement. OK, I guess he was also Watson to Grace's Dad's Sherlock in this one.

I also wish Grace had just bonked Red Beard with a bedpan or something, rather than the contrived defibrillator abuse.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, willco said:

I think that's what is bugging me about this season. All this political BS is taking up the whole show, meanwhile the asteroid/comet may wipe out the world population anyway, so who really cares. Why would it matter if you are president if the world is destroyed ?

That's exactly why I can't get into the other subplots, it just feel too trivial compared to the threat of the asteroid.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

I also wish Grace had just bonked Red Beard with a bedpan or something, rather than the contrived defibrillator abuse.

That part cracked me up. She even yelled "CLEAR!"

2 hours ago, Llywela said:

Of course, it seems to be only a matter of days ago, in the show's timeline, that Joe Public was similarly enthusiastic about Darius, which was why McKenzie made him her vice president, but what the heck, panic-stricken people are fickle!

Right? They're like every angry mob on The Simpsons, they just agree with whoever speaks last.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

They're like every angry mob on The Simpsons, they just agree with whoever speaks last.

I am not a Simpsons watcher, but maybe this was what they were going for? Not necessarily borrowed from The Simpsons, but the idea of the fickle populous--reminiscent of the Storming of the Bastille in the French Revolution. 
(Never mind the asteroid.)

34 minutes ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

Random thought: Can/will Darius use his railgun to shoot at/disable Resyst's orbiting nuke?

Heh. Suggest it to the writers, they might well run with the idea!

I know a lot of people here are disappointed that the show isn't All Asteroid, All The Time, but I honestly don't think there'd be that much story longevity in that approach - my tolerance for watching a bunch of scientists experimenting and building stuff is a heck of a lot slighter than my tolerance for watching a show about characters and the way they react to their circumstances (and to one another), which is what the political aspect of this show is all about. The asteroid is really only there to raise the stakes. I usually think of storytelling as a bit like dropping a rock into a pond. The plot is the rock, but the story is the ripple effect it causes. In Salvation, the asteroid is the plot rock, but the story is how reactions to the asteroid play out among the characters, all their differing actions and reactions and the way they bounce off one another. And with a world-threatening scenario like that, the key reactions are always going to be among those in positions of power, hence the political thriller.

And honestly, these days, whenever I start to think of something on TV as far-fetched, I just go away and watch the news for a bit, and suddenly that outrageous plot point doesn't seem so far-fetched after all!

• Love 6

I went from wishing the detective guy would shut up to cheering him on at the end. His relationship with Grace has to have changed after that. Should be interesting how they handle it. Lots of possibilities. That is if they can fit it in. The asteroid storyline is taking up all the time.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Orillia said:

I went from wishing the detective guy would shut up to cheering him on at the end. His relationship with Grace has to have changed after that. Should be interesting how they handle it. Lots of possibilities. That is if they can fit it in. The asteroid storyline is taking up all the time.  

Sarcasm, right?

• Love 4

About that crowd sourcing...  Hundreds of qualified engineers show up to help convert the rail gun, with no suggestion some of those people are there to sabotage or apparent safeguards against sabotage??

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Brooks said:

About that crowd sourcing...  Hundreds of qualified engineers show up to help convert the rail gun, with no suggestion some of those people are there to sabotage or apparent safeguards against sabotage??

It explains a lot, the asteroid doesn't need to do anything, they can take each other out.

• Love 2

The scenes between Liam and Darius were greatly acted in this episode. Even tough a bit heart-breaking...

It escalated so quickly, while it seemed it didn't have to....! If both of them had more time to talk, but that seems is one thing they almost never have! :(

It was a bit odd that Darius didn't once try to explain himself to him, his own reaction - as if it wasn't even worth it to him.

But the almost hatred in his eyes in the end towards Liam was a big switch since the start of the episode...

Most definitely after their first scene hug/greeting, that seemed very sincere and affectionate from both of them. You could almost feel Liams confusion, disappointment and longing throughout the whole episode.

But I like that they are trying to explore their relationship a bit more - until now it has been almost unpersonal, but I think there are a lot places to go yet... Maybe this will be breaking point for that.

:)

If I thought anything in this show made sense, I'd hope someone can explain how they shut down the internet from inside the US, seeing as how it is international.  Guessing people in some other fictional countries are having a good laugh.