Type keyword(s) to search

S03. E13. The Business of Saving Lives 2018.07.18

23 hours ago, Netfoot said:

You guys weren't kidding!  They are going to be hit by an aeroplane!

You have to wonder if it's an accident or if it's going to be an Andrew Stack/Charles Bishop type of scenario.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:14 PM, Netfoot said:

You guys weren't kidding!  They are going to be hit by an aeroplane!

Yep, it's a disaster trope that's usually found in medical dramas like Grey's Anatomy, ER, and this.

• Love 2
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Free said:

Yep, it's a disaster trope that's usually found in medical dramas like Grey's Anatomy, ER, and this.

And we get (another) one of their own in a different accident, apparently..

Oh, and the police getting in the way because they just have to talk to their suspect, never mind that she's unconscious in the ER.

------

Further random thoughts:

• Well, that whole plane crash bit seemed kind of...incidental?
  • Who the hell wears stiletto heels while on crutches?
  • Guess douche doc is redeemed?
  • Aw, twue wuv.
  • Why is the teenager spending all her time at a hospital and not, y'know, at school?
  • Aw, father son bonding.
  • Goodbye, show. I probably won't miss you too much.
Edited by ams1001
gah! this show.
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

And we get (another) one of their own in a different accident, apparently..

Oh, and the police getting in the way because they just have to talk to their suspect, never mind that she's unconscious in the ER.

------

Further random thoughts:

• Well, that whole plane crash bit seemed kind of...incidental?
  • Who the hell wears stiletto heels while on crutches?
  • Guess douche doc is redeemed?
  • Aw, twue wuv.
  • Why is the teenager spending all her time at a hospital and not, y'know, at school?
  • Aw, father son bonding.
  • Goodbye, show. I probably won't miss you too much.

Agreed, that's another trope, which they've done a couple of times just recently.

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

How did I know douche dad would be a #metoo moment?

As soon as he said "The rercuiter make it...."  I thought she had a serious head wound at the hospital, but there she is, just released, with a clean scalp.

Was the ghost soldier supposed to be Willis's brother, or just some random guy from his past?

Will somebody please shave for just one day?

"We're going to send you to an acute care unit..", because, you know, there aren't any other hospitals in Los Angeles City or County.

It would have made the whole episode for me if, when Willis ran out there after Rox, he was flattened by the falling treadmill from Physical Therapy.  Pan up to the 9th floor and there's two firefighters looking down.  "Sorry. Our bad."

Angus getting all uppity and in his boss's face.  Wasn't it just last week you put a patient into speech therapy because you told her there wouldn't be any problems with her surgery?

6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Guess douche doc is redeemed?

Until he brings a video camera to the police interview.  Best laugh of the night: "I know I can be a bit of a jerk sometimes." Your diagnostic ability is amazing, douche.

Good luck, actors and actresses.  Hope you all move on successfully.

• Love 2

One of the worst finales I've ever seen.  I won't miss this show at all.  It's too bad because the first season started off well enough, then it went steadily downhill afterwards.

I was embarrassed for Luis Guzman and Rob Lowe for being in this dreck, but I hope to see them again in some much better stuff.  

• Love 1

You know you're checked out when you spend the final few minutes wondering, "Hey, why is that female voice singing about being a man in a silly red sheet?"

At least the writers didn't make the mistake of many other shows and end on a cliffhanger. As endings go, that was about as good as could be expected.

6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Until he brings a video camera to the police interview.  Best laugh of the night: "I know I can be a bit of a jerk sometimes." Your diagnostic ability is amazing, douche.

His character honestly spent much of the season shoving a camera in people's faces until the last few episodes where they tried to redeem him where it was way too late and at that point the show was already wrapping everything else up asap.

• Love 1
(edited)

Pretty much exactly what I expected.  Except for Pater Kodachrome because I didn't see the sexual predator coming until she began to experience the blurred vision.  I expected him to hit on her, but the Mickey Finn came as a surprise.

And of course Edisonhead wants her mommeee!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Driad said:

I'll miss Mama and Papa's supportive non-romantic relationship. Hoping to see both actors in better shows soon.

You will. Marcia Gay Harden and Luis Guzman never suffer from a shortage of work. Until they each land new series I'm sure that they'll be doing guest shots on various shows.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Free said:

His character honestly spent much of the season shoving a camera in people's faces until the last few episodes where they tried to redeem him where it was way too late and at that point the show was already wrapping everything else up asap.

The whole video camera thing was absurd.  In any ER, let alone one in a major city that goes into Code Black almost every day, an intern shooting video would never be tolerated no matter who his daddy was. That should have been nipped in the bud with Leanne throwing Diego's rear end out of the ER and killing his medical career right quick.

In regard to the series closer, I found it to be disappointing. There were just to many contrived plot threads and the plane crash was silly.  Same thing with Ethans' brother's ghost.  There had to be other ways to tie up the wonderful personal relationships.  There were some high points in that regard:

-Ethan and Rox (about damn time that he figured that out)
- Ethan and his dad (David Clennon is always good)
- Leanne's plea to the judge, brilliantly delivered by Marcia Gay Harden in a nice show closer

• Love 4

I’ll miss ya Code Black. Dear tv world please put Rob Lowe back on my tv somewhere, anywhere. Not the greatest finale but it had its moments just because these actors are so good. Onto the next! 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

As soon as he said "The rercuiter make it...."  I thought she had a serious head wound at the hospital, but there she is, just released, with a clean scalp.

I suspected it last episode when the whole thing was initially set up. "He's just doing this to hit on her (or worse)." Drugging her wine to the extent that she would be visibly impaired before dinner even came was a tad obvious, though. And the restaurant staff all just stood there and watched her suddenly run away and did…nothing?

It would have made the whole episode for me if, when Willis ran out there after Rox, he was flattened by the falling treadmill from Physical Therapy.  Pan up to the 9th floor and there's two firefighters looking down.  "Sorry. Our bad."

Would have been a nice homage to Dr. Romano and his helicopter!

Best laugh of the night: "I know I can be a bit of a jerk sometimes." Your diagnostic ability is amazing, douche.

He forgot "shitty doctor who's more focused on his camera than his patients and should have been fired months ago."

7 hours ago, Xantar said:

You know you're checked out when you spend the final few minutes wondering, "Hey, why is that female voice singing about being a man in a silly red sheet?"

I missed the first 15 minutes because I was watching something that always goes to 10:04 or 10:14 for some stupid reason (and, well, I kinda almost forgot it was on) and when I changed the channel I was thinking I'll just catch the beginning on demand later…and by the end I really felt no need to go back because it didn't seem like I had missed anything important. I thought I at least would have missed the plane crash, but it happened later. Maybe if I'm bored this weekend…

I was mildly amused by the fact they have used several songs sung by John Ondrasik/Five for Fighting in past episodes and then they ended with a cover of one of his songs.

On 7/19/2018 at 1:45 PM, cali1981 said:
On 7/19/2018 at 11:04 AM, Free said:

The whole video camera thing was absurd.  In any ER, let alone one in a major city that goes into Code Black almost every day, an intern shooting video would never be tolerated no matter who his daddy was.

Well, at least one did. The show was based on that very video. The plotline was a tribute to the origins of the show.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

Well, at least one did. The show was based on that very video. The plotline was a tribute to the origins of the show.

I looked that up a couple weeks ago; the article I read said he extended his rotation there to do the video. I wasn't clear on whether he was actually working as a doctor while he filmed, though.

There was a very nice guest shot by Romy Rosemont. She was the woman who had reunited with her long lost love.  She is always good and may be remembered for one of the most gut wrenching scenes in Glee's six year history.  She was Carol, Finn's mother and after Corey Montieth died they wrote Finn's death into the show and there was a scene in which Carol is boxing some of Finn's things and grief overwhelms her. It was a very powerful piece of acting.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, cali1981 said:

There was a very nice guest shot by Romy Rosemont. She was the woman who had reunited with her long lost love.  She is always good and may be remembered for one of the most gut wrenching scenes in Glee's six year history.  She was Carol, Finn's mother and after Corey Montieth died they wrote Finn's death into the show and there was a scene in which Carol is boxing some of Finn's things and grief overwhelms her. It was a very powerful piece of acting.

That's who that was! I knew she looked familiar. I remember that scene, too. 

Well they sure wrapped everything up in a nice little bow!  Kind of trite, but at least they didn't leave you hanging.  Kind of a leap that Willis was locked in a psycho ward in the previous episode and it all worked out in 43 minutes, lol.  Decent show that was entertaining.  I'm sure Rob will be popping up in something besides Atkins commercials.  I kind of liked his character in this.  Bye Ethan!

• Love 4
On 7/19/2018 at 5:45 PM, sadie said:

I’ll miss ya Code Black. Dear tv world please put Rob Lowe back on my tv somewhere, anywhere. Not the greatest finale but it had its moments just because these actors are so good. Onto the next! 

The actors are wonderful.  I love seeing Marcia Gay Harden any time, and she and Luis Guzman were the heart of this show.  I hope to be seeing them elsewhere soon.

• Love 6
On 7/21/2018 at 1:52 PM, SuzieQ said:

Well they sure wrapped everything up in a nice little bow!  Kind of trite, but at least they didn't leave you hanging. 

They had enough time to work it out. I believe there's a thread somewhere about shows that deliberately end on a ciffhanger. IT was nice that they didn't. The show went off the rails when Angus' brother fell out of that helicopter. If an actor isn't working out, just kill him/her off or have them move to Cleveland or something. There didn't seem to be a real plan or anything. Still, the acting was great and some of the plots were really good.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Notwisconsin said:

They had enough time to work it out. I believe there's a thread somewhere about shows that deliberately end on a ciffhanger. IT was nice that they didn't. The show went off the rails when Angus' brother fell out of that helicopter. If an actor isn't working out, just kill him/her off or have them move to Cleveland or something. There didn't seem to be a real plan or anything. Still, the acting was great and some of the plots were really good.

Yeah, I think that was more for their awkward introduction of Willis' character into the show because it sort of petered out once that storyline finished.