Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06 The Domino Effect 2018.07.10

Jane is thrilled when her sexual assault article for Scarlet is nominated for a prestigious journalism award. Determined to prove herself to Jacqueline, Jane jumps at the chance to write a follow-up piece, until the story takes an unexpected turn. Kat struggles with whether to tell Adena a secret and Sutton is given a challenging assignment – styling Richard’s date. 

Well, I'm disappointed Jacqueline asked Jane to come back to Scarlet. I get they want to keep the threesome together, but Jane was gone for, what, three moths tops? I'll be interested to see if the show continues the thread that Jane is dissatisfied with what she's writing at the magazine. 

The Kat/Adena stuff was better than I expected, especially when Adena left the apartment. I don't think sex dreams are a big deal—you can't really help what you dream—but Adena is right that she's the first woman Kat has had a relationship with, and there is a difference of experience. They do need to figure things out.

• Love 4

I love these girls and their friendship. Jane didn’t force Kat and Sutton to come because she was being a good friend, but they were good friends in return and were there for her.  Yay for Jane winning the award and then getting her job back.

I am still loving Ben, which means an unnecessary triangle with Pinstripe will be on the horizon to bring on drama.

So happy that the Adena/Kat drama was about something more than a sex dream. Adena’s response made sense. I also liked their honest and mature conversation afterwards.

Poor Sutton. I’m still rooting for her and Richard, but things don’t look good. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Well, I'm disappointed Jacqueline asked Jane to come back to Scarlet. I get they want to keep the threesome together, but Jane was gone for, what, three moths tops?

I'm glad they got it over with. We all knew she would end up back at Scarlet, I didn't want an entire season of it being dragged out.

I suppose it's too much to hope that Adena is gone for good?

7 hours ago, GaT said:

We all knew she would end up back at Scarlet,

Jane could have stayed a freelance writer who did a lot of work for Scarlet, which would put her back in the offices and give her a bit more independence. But that train has sailed, I guess.

I am glad it was resolved one way or the other, though.

• Love 2
(edited)

Of course Jane is already back at Scarlet.

I continue to be amazed by the fact that Kat's career has advanced faster than the others' despite her being so much more immature.

I was certain Adena would propose an open relationship.

I wish Jane would wear something other than black occasionally. And her aggressive center part is not doing her any favors.

Are we to assume Sutton's brief party days are behind her and the $500 coke charge will never be brought up? I thought it was going to be addressed this week after being included in the previouslies. 

I happen to think Sutton could snap her fingers and Richard would dump his new/old gf and come running. It seemed a little too convenient that an attorney would borrow something from the Scarlet closet instead of springing for her own dress or (gasp) wearing something she already owned.

Oliver calls Sutton "Red." Is it just me, or is she a blonde?

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 3

I guess Jacqueline bringing Jane back to Scarlet was inevitable, so I guess I am glad that we are just getting it over with, and not playing coy. 

Glad that Jane got her award, and I really like Ben. Loved when he was offering some advice to Sutton based on his psych rounds, and he and Jane have cute banter. "Its the accent". I also liked her outfit at the end a lot. I think she tends to wear too many dark colors, but I enjoyed her mash of color and black. I am a massive sucker for that (black and pink are my jam!) and for contrasting colors. 

So is Sutton going to stop partying with the scensters now? It cant be that easy to just stop, especially as she has it kind of locked in with her career. Slutton is kind of a funny name, in the way that some girls call their friends Bitch as a form of endearment.

Adena and Kats conflict worked pretty well, even if its more in the never ending drama between Kat and Adena. The women in that bar were eyeing Kat like bait in a fish tank, and Kat seemed to be alright with that! 

Lots of good friendship stuff with the girls this week, with Kat and Sutton running off to support Jane, and them hanging at their place eating ice cream. And Bring It On references! Ultimate girltalk friendship references! 

• Love 1
(edited)

Meghann Fahy plays a pretty convincing, but discreet drunk.  I love that in an actor—  I hate when they play it too OTT.

I severely dislike Jane’s dress choice for this awards ceremony, and I also do not care for her hairstyle.  Neither is doing her ANY favors!  I am proud of her for winning the award, though.  Jacqueline looks great!  The venue is beautiful!  Loved when they panned from ceiling to floor.  The ceiling art in the lobby (I guess) is lovely!

Aww, that scene with Sutton showing up at Kat’s to pick her up, to go to Jane’s awards ceremony was cute.

I do think that Brook character is kind of funny— I must admit!  I died when she just adds “Oh, maybe we should get some blow!” after she just told Sutton she was being boring and asked if anyone calls her Sluttin (which for some reason did cross my mind recently, regarding that name.  Love the name but that would be an unfortunate nickname in the recess yard...).  I was actually hoping though, that this Brook wasn’t going to push Sutton into a downward spiral.  Seems like she is over her, but I’m not done with the episode yet, and I’m thinking she may still get in trouble for the coke purchase.  I guess I’ll see...

Jacqueline’s assistant was funny when Jane asked what Jacqueline wanted to meet her for!  Haha!  “Yeah she told me all about it!  Um no, I have no idea what it’s about!”  

I’m not mad that Jane is back at Scarlet—it was inevitable—but I do think they could have let it drag on just a tad longer.  And this is coming from someone who is currently watching Gossip Girl for the first time.  My goodness do they drag shit on for wayyy too long.  

And (in GG fashion), I’m sure they will make Kat and Adena break up, so it can be just another obstacle in their relationship that they had to hurdle, in order to make them the perfect endgame couple!  *eye roll* I used to eat that shit up when I was younger, but I’m such a cynic these days!  I do like Adena though, probably more than I like Kat, TBH.

I really do love this show though.  Very cute and fun friendship moments with the girls!

Edited by Miss Bones
Autocorrect mishaps.
  • Love 2

When Kat was telling Adena about her kiss, and then launched immediately into the dream, I couldn't help but think - how would we react to this if a male character was saying it to one of our ladies? Yes, it was truthful and honest, but also blunt to the point of the way you would tell a friend a problem, not a lover who would be hurt by what you were saying That's probably too subtle for this show to address, and Adena is 100% right and admirably mature in her reaction. I just didn't buy Kat's supposedly deep feelings for Adena in that moment. Even a shitty boyfriend would have hedged more than she did, even when telling the truth.

Anyone think Sutton's boss completely knows what's going on with Brooke, including the $500 drugs? And is just waiting for the relationship to play itself out?

And finally: I wanted Jane to turn down Jacqueline this time, because she's personally realized she's learning more as a freelancer. (But come back to Scarlet by the finale.)

2 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

And this is coming from someone who is currently watching Gossip Girl for the first time.  My goodness do they drag shit on for wayyy too long.  

OMG! Blair and Chuck FTW.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

Jacqueline’s assistant was funny when Jane asked what Jacqueline wanted to meet her for!  Haha!  “Yeah she told me all about it!  Um no, I have no idea what it’s about!”  

It was cute...but essentially stolen from a scene in The Devil Wears Prada.

• Love 1
(edited)

I’m a bit tired of having Kadena conflict in every single episode. If anything, Kat should be struggling with her new found sexual orientation, not suddenly needing to have all the sex with all the ladies for some reason. And if they’re going to break up, I want Kat to go from woman to man to woman. She’s supposed to be bi and i can’t think of a single bi character who is actually interchanging genders-which I know doesn’t necessarily happen in RL either, but it would be nice for once to have a bi charactwr on tv who doesn’t just pick one gender, especially after saying that she enjoys sex with men and doesn’t like the idea of sex with women (back in s1).

that being said, i never liked Adena and Kat is my least favorite of the girls. I’m not sure why is that because I like the actresses ans I like the characters on paper, but for some reason i just can’t stand them. And Jane was my favorite last year but she seems a bit annoying this season. Sutton though continues being awesome.

Edited by dreamcatcher
22 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Thank you...I've been thinking the same thing!  Every time he calls her that, I try to reevaluate her hair situation, to try to make myself see it as red, but I give up-- It's fucking blonde!

Even last episode, when Sutton meets with the wife of guy she slept with, the wife says "I guess he has a type".  She was a red head, and that was what she was referring to, I guess.  I don't consider it red.

11 hours ago, Jillybean said:

It was cute...but essentially stolen from a scene in The Devil Wears Prada.

Now that you mention that, I do vaguely remember Emily having a similar exchange with Andy in TDWP.  Love that movie.

Kat/Adena.  It seems that Kat is finally seeing that she's sexy in the lesbian world.  This is akin to a late bloomer who finds a boyfriend and suddenly comes into her own sexuality- sees that guys of all sort find her attractive.  It could be normal to explore that but she'd still be straying from the relationship (unless they agreed otherwise).  You'd think a woman in her early twenties who is gorgeous would already be accustomed to handling the attention.

I wish Jane didn't win.  The other topics looked really good and she's so young.  I think being nominated should have been enough of the honor for her.  Maybe this is because I'm a bitter old bitty.  I did like her interaction with Jaqueline.  I did think that it was bs that Elena blamed her but it seemed to be part of the victim blaming mentality that goes on with assault.  

Sutton- ugh, enough already! I did like that Oliver could see things and called her on it.  And appreciated that she felt her and Kat's drama wasn't worth missing Jane's big night.  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

Thank you...I've been thinking the same thing!  Every time he calls her that, I try to reevaluate her hair situation, to try to make myself see it as red, but I give up-- It's fucking blonde!

iirc he calls her 'Red' because he thinks, and mentioned, that she would look good with red hair - that was in one of the last few eps of season 1

• Love 2
On 7/11/2018 at 10:44 AM, Jillybean said:

Of course Jane is already back at Scarlet.

I continue to be amazed by the fact that Kat's career has advanced faster than the others' despite her being so much more immature.

I was certain Adena would propose an open relationship.

I wish Jane would wear something other than black occasionally. And her aggressive center part is not doing her any favors.

Are we to assume Sutton's brief party days are behind her and the $500 coke charge will never be brought up? I thought it was going to be addressed this week after being included in the previouslies. 

I happen to think Sutton could snap her fingers and Richard would dump his new/old gf and come running. It seemed a little too convenient that an attorney would borrow something from the Scarlet closet instead of springing for her own dress or (gasp) wearing something she already owned.

On 7/12/2018 at 9:42 AM, Miss Bones said:

Even last episode, when Sutton meets with the wife of guy she slept with, the wife says "I guess he has a type".  She was a red head, and that was what she was referring to, I guess.  I don't consider it red.

Now that you mention that, I do vaguely remember Emily having a similar exchange with Andy in TDWP.  Love that movie.

7 hours ago, Aulty said:

iirc he calls her 'Red' because he thinks, and mentioned, that she would look good with red hair - that was in one of the last few eps of season 1

Thank you!  This has been bugging me, too, and I figured I just forgot why he calls her that.  And it turns out I did forget!

11 hours ago, Aulty said:

Thanks. I have no recollection of that. I saw the actress in an episode of Deception and she was a brunette. That looked good on her, but I think I prefer her current hair color on TBT.

As others have said, I guess it's just as well that Jane is back at Scarlet because we all knew it would happen, but I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't address the award in that at all. You'd think Jane would have at least considered the possibility that it was a cynical move by Scarlet to get the award-winning writer back on staff to better capitalize on the win. She also didn't seem to give much thought to other doors the award could open, even after seeing the boost she got just from the nomination. The show rushed from her struggling as a freelancer to doing well almost overnight, and I wish they had taken a bit more time to establish that in the end she's coming back because she wants to, not because she needs to. 

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:39 AM, Aulty said:

I don't remember that, but you may be right.  But it does make me wonder why the wife of the guy who Sutton slept with said "I guess he has a type" when she saw Sutton.  I assumed it was because she had reddish hair, and we are supposed to believe that Sutton does, too.

On 13/07/2018 at 10:39 AM, Aulty said:

Exactly. I went back to that episode (1.06) and Sutton tells him "you know my hair's not red, right ?". 

Oliver "Yes, but it should be. It would be fabulous with your coloring". 

(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:13 PM, Cassandre said:

Exactly. I went back to that episode (1.06) and Sutton tells him "you know my hair's not red, right ?". 

Oliver "Yes, but it should be. It would be fabulous with your coloring". 

I find it terrible that his nickname for her has to do with what he wants her to be rather than who she is. Blech I like Oliver, but that's just annoying. Like calling a fat chick "Slim" because you think she'd look great skinny.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 1