Type keyword(s) to search

The Good Podcast

1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

See, and I was actually bored by the AD guy on Tuesday. YMMV.

I think that guy was sarcastic enough, and took enough of a backseat to Jason Mantzoukas that he didn't really bother me much. The editor's initial answer in today's episode went on so long that I fast-forwarded.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, April Bloodgate said:

Eric is dead. Long live Eric." was an intentional Parks & Rec Zorp reference?

The construction of the sentence? That’s based on “the King is dead, long live the King.” which dates from the 15th century.

I'm listening to the episode with Ted Danson at the moment and, man he seems like such a great guy. I know everyone says that, but when you hear him being so humble and self-effacing while constantly asking genuine questions to the editor, about his process, it really hits home.

There was something about him admitting to having missed about fifty Cheers episodes because he was putting his kids to bed, as well as talking about his holiday with wife, kids and grandkids, that was very sweet and warm.

But as an interview himself, he's not great. For the very same reasons. He diverts attention away from himself and doesn't seem to want to talk about his own performance.

I would really like an episode of this podcast to get several of the cast together, though. Obviously they're all busy, and the podcast has done a good job of getting the right people for the right episodes, but still...  

• Love 2

He indeed seems to like deflecting and giving credit to others. If you'd like to hear him talk about himself, he is on a podcast called  Awards Chatter where he delightfully talks about his life and even explains the Whoopi Goldberg roast (then gets embarrassed because he thinks he said too much). 

• Love 1

Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard is doing a 4 day marathon of all new Good Place themed podcast episodes. Dax is married to Eleanor Shellstrop, as you know. He definitely interviewed Mike Schur, but I don't know the other three. 

It won't be entirely based on the show, but my guesses are D'Arcy, Ted, Mike, Jameela. Which would all be amazing interviews with or without Marc Evan Jackson. It's Monday the 24 through premiere night.

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 2

First, I am aghast that KB has ever dipped, and admits to dipping regularly. 

Also, her story at the end would be enough for anyone to divorce anyone, but she did tell a story on a breastfeeding podcast about Dax needing to "keep at it" until a plug got out. So I guess they are right for each other. 

The last one dropped today. Everyone involved in this show is so nice and so thankful for it, and to be a part of it. I fear I like The Good Place too much for it to be healthy or normal. 

But healthier than taking a mouthful of someone's dip spit :)  

• Love 2

They are caught up with seasons one and two, so from here on out the podcast will be on each season three episode. Marc said he will see a preview of the entire episode and that his turnaround will be very quick, I think, prior to the actual episode airing.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Is it the last podcast, or will it continue to accompany Season 3?

I believe they're going to keep doing the podcasts after each episode (and I want credit for not responding like Bad Janet - every time I hear the word "podcast" I hear her voice).

• Love 2

Marc’s insistance that Shawn is god, to Mike’s growing faux exasperation, though. 

Also, it was super sweet that KB just said she really cares about what Mike Schur thinks of her, only for her to be Mike’s first “what’s good” of the episode. 

• Love 3

The part near the end when Marc and Mike keep swearing and it's just Kristen going forking and ashehole and shirt cracked me up!  I was walking back from lunch and seriously had to stop and move out of the flow of other walkers because I was laughing so hard.  I got so many odd looks.  

• Love 8
On 9/18/2018 at 2:29 PM, BoogieBurns said:

Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard is doing a 4 day marathon of all new Good Place themed podcast episodes. Dax is married to Eleanor Shellstrop, as you know. He definitely interviewed Mike Schur, but I don't know the other three. 

It won't be entirely based on the show, but my guesses are D'Arcy, Ted, Mike, Jameela. Which would all be amazing interviews with or without Marc Evan Jackson. It's Monday the 24 through premiere night.

The first guest is Ted and it really highlights why everyone else in the cast has been raving about him. I am less than half way through and it is really interesting so far. 

16 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Oh, well, I have been listening to Armchair Expert since the first episode, so the topics are what I expected. I doubt he'll talk farting and pooping all week. 

I listen to it if I like the guest but Dax is frequently tiresome so I can’t do a week no stop of him. That said right off the bat with today’s Mike Schur interview he sort of puts him in his place when Dax quotes from American Gigiloo and Mike responds with “yeah that’s not the type of misogyny I like to traffic in” and calls him out on the world not being allowed to be funny by saying no white guys making fun of others and that being the perspective that comedy used to come from is being called out not actual humor.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
On 9/27/2018 at 2:55 PM, jmonique said:

I wish Armchair Expert's Good Place Week actually had more about The Good Place. 

Seriously. I think they talked about the show for all of ten minutes of the three hours (ok, that's just what it felt like) they did. I love K. Bell and I even kinda like Dax Shepherd, but I absolutely did not need that much about their marriage nor their weirdly codependent bond with their nanny. I just kept thinking that they were coming off as incredibly privileged and entitled and none of that would really be interesting to people not in their relationship. Strange they focused on it for so long and so much.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

New Podcast! New intro and outro! Jameela Jamil and Jen Statsky (writer)! They endeavor to not give any spoilers for the rest of season 3.

Janet on mag-a-nents! 

Jameela’s read on Eleanor—that this is the warmest we’ve seen her, bar last season’s finale—felt really apt. Jen said it was because it’s the first time we’ve really seen with without her back against the wall. But I also can’t really see selfish flashback Eleanor offering to share her pullout sofa with a stranger. Is this evidence of a few weeks of Chidi’s classes working? Or of Team Cockroach retaining some tiny bit of “these are my people”? Chidi was also pretty instantly entertained by Eleanor’s self-assessment. But maybe I’m just seeing that because I want to  

I also love how much Marc HATED the claustrophobic joke, even if I again sided with Jameela. 

The ad for Deirdre and Margaret had me in stitches. 

21 hours ago, taragel said:

I love K. Bell and I even kinda like Dax Shepherd, but I absolutely did not need that much about their marriage nor their weirdly codependent bond with their nanny. I just kept thinking that they were coming off as incredibly privileged and entitled and none of that would really be interesting to people not in their relationship. 

YES. I skimmed ... and skimmed, and skimmed and kept skimming, because I DO NOT CARE. Take care of this stuff offline, or don't air it during "Good Place Week."

The best out of the week on Armchair Expert was Ted Danson, likely because Dax has a little hero worship of Ted and wanted to talk about his past.

NBC has put up a video of this week's podcast here.  There are a few minutes of extra content that got cut out of the audio podcast.  It's worth watching for that, though I was a bit weirded out by Jameela's hyperextending elbows and distracted by  Marc's beard.

Edited by Omeletsmom
spelling and because Marc's beard is not weird, just distracting.
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Omeletsmom said:

distracted by  Marc's beard.

Kevin has beard??? Blasphemy! I have a feeling that Captain Holt has a harsh-yet-still-logical reason for why men w/ beards cannot be trusted. [/B99 reference.]

• Love 3

anyone familiar with a podcast called "Sleep with me"?   The idea is that a narrator with a really boring voice tells stories that you can listen to as you fall asleep.  They're currently telling the story of the latest episode....zzzz...

Just now, SoMuchTV said:

anyone familiar with a podcast called "Sleep with me"?   The idea is that a narrator with a really boring voice tells stories that you can listen to as you fall asleep.  They're currently telling the story of the latest episode....zzzz...

just to be clear - I didn't' think the episode was boring, just liked that it was an option for insomniacs.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

anyone familiar with a podcast called "Sleep with me"?   The idea is that a narrator with a really boring voice tells stories that you can listen to as you fall asleep...

Oh wow, that's great!  I may have to look for that.

So the actor who played Donkey Doug didn't know he was auditioning to play Jason's father. I love that too much! Manny knew and didn't (couldn't?) tell him during the filming of episode one. "You're my boy".... literally.

• Love 1

I think this week's fake commercial for Lord Vivian's Cuttlefish Crisps was my favorite so far. The intimate knowledge of British culture required in order to create that level of satire was mind-boggling. Kirby Howell-Baptiste seemed like she was either smiling or trying not to laugh during some parts. I actually laughed out loud a couple of times at the different flavors she was reciting. 

The fact that a half-hour comedy show would have its own podcast and create fake commercials for said podcast just makes me so happy. 

• Love 2

This week's episode is different: Jason Mantzoukas is guest hosting, while Marc gets to sit back and play guest. (Also guesting: David Niednagel, Digital Effects Supervisor; and Joe Mande, co-writer of this week's episode)

Jason's previous guest spot on the podcast totally turned me around on him and Derek, but him in the role of guest host really highlights how forking good Marc is. Jason is SO enthusiastic about the show that it's kind of charming, but he's interrupting too often for my liking (disclosure, I'm only 20 minutes in).

Podcast hosts interrupting the guests can really annoy me (there are many episodes of Armchair Expert that I've wandered away from midway through), but I just love how much everyone on this podcast loves their jobs on the show.

Edited by jmonique

I only started listening to the podcast a few weeks ago, and quickly went through all the back episodes (some of them multiple times) and for the last few weeks it's been the second most eagerly anticipated thing of the week for me.  Marc does a good job of keeping to the show's style of completely obliterating the line between the sublime and the ridiculous.

I hope they decide to continue it in some form during the eight months (EIGHT FORKING MONTHS!!!!) that we have to wait for the next season. Maybe bring in some of the cast and crew for a more general discussion rather than an episode-specific one. Or maybe just talk about the Entourage movie every week...

• Love 2