Type keyword(s) to search

Supernatural Bitterness & Unpopular Opinions: You All Suck

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I think the whole things become over rated and over blown. I blame a mixture of fan service and pandering to Jensen who is fond of the car. 

Hmm...I guess we'll agree to disagree on this.  I don't see pandering at all.  The car was an important "character" from the beginning on this show.  It was as important as Sam and Dean in Swan Song, and had an entire episode written about it with Baby.  Has it gotten a bit larger than life, sure, but I don't think that has anything at all to do with Jensen.  Fans love the car and the lore.  Dean's love affair with the Impala has been part of the canon of the show, but I don't see that as a negative.  But to each his own.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

The usual Misha bashing from J2 then bleh. 

Wayward Son, do you honestly think they were bashing Misha there?  Or that they ever truly bash Misha?  They certainly tease him, as he teases them, but I don't see anything but great affection in what they say about Misha.  It's a game with them.  He makes comments during his cons that he knows will get back to the J's during theirs, and the audience gets to enjoy the bantering back and forth.  He's really the only one they do this with, and I firmly believe it's because of their close friendship with Misha.  Otherwise, they wouldn't bother.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, MysteryGuest said:

Wayward Son, do you honestly think they were bashing Misha there?  Or that they ever truly bash Misha?  They certainly tease him, as he teases them, but I don't see anything but great affection in what they say about Misha.  It's a game with them.  He makes comments during his cons that he knows will get back to the J's during theirs, and the audience gets to enjoy the bantering back and forth.  He's really the only one they do this with, and I firmly believe it's because of their close friendship with Misha.  Otherwise, they wouldn't bother.

Yeah I see it as bashing! I've heard the usual "he can't act" "he hardly ever works" etc remarks often enough now that I can't help but think they feel this way. A joke said once is often a  joke, a joke said twice, three times or more than a dozen becomes a lot more suspect and comes across as digs IMO. 

1 minute ago, Wayward Son said:

Yeah I see it as bashing! I've heard the usual "he can't act" "he hardly ever works" etc remarks often enough now that I can't help but think they feel this way. A joke said once is often a  joke, a joke said twice, three times or more than a dozen becomes a lot more suspect and comes across as digs IMO. 

I really don't see it, but ok.  If that's true, then making fun of Jensen's bowlegs is cruel, and making fun of Jared's girlie hair is the height of insult.  These guys rag on each other all of the time.  In my experience, you really only relentlessly tease people you're fond of.  

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

Hmm...I guess we'll agree to disagree on this.  I don't see pandering at all.  The car was an important "character" from the beginning on this show.  It was as important as Sam and Dean in Swan Song, and had an entire episode written about it with Baby.  Has it gotten a bit larger than life, sure, but I don't think that has anything at all to do with Jensen.  Fans love the car and the lore.  Dean's love affair with the Impala has been part of the canon of the show, but I don't see that as a negative.  But to each his own.

I honestly don't care about the car one way or the other. But, it's definitely been beloved of Dean since day 1, so it would be totally OOC for him to get rid of it unless it got totaled. Yes, I dared refer to the car as an "it."  LOL.  With the exception of Sam, the Impala has been the one constant in Dean's life.  And, it's something he can take care of and take pride in.  

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I honestly don't care about the car one way or the other. But, it's definitely been beloved of Dean since day 1, so it would be totally OOC for him to get rid of it unless it got totaled. Yes, I dared refer to the car as an "it."  LOL.  With the exception of Sam, the Impala has been the one constant in Dean's life.  And, it's something he can take care of and take pride in.

It's also something he knows he can "fix", no matter how bad it gets.  They can't say that definitively about anything else in their lives.  And while I agree that the Impala is Dean's baby, I think we've been shown that she's also home to Sam.  Dean may be the mechanic in the family, but the car means more than just that.  

On a side note...it's interesting to me just how much Sam drove the car in season one.  I'm only a few episodes in, and he's driven in every one so far.  I know they've played up the "Dean doesn't want anyone driving the car but him" schtick in recent years, but it wasn't always like that.

• Love 1

On a side note...it's interesting to me just how much Sam drove the car in season one.  I'm only a few episodes in, and he's driven in every one so far.  I know they've played up the "Dean doesn't want anyone driving the car but him" schtick in recent years, but it wasn't always like that.

He probably would have driven it more in the ongoing show just as Dean probably would have kept wearing the amulet but there are behind-the-scenes reasons why both stopped happening.  

Just now, Aeryn13 said:

He probably would have driven it more in the ongoing show just as Dean probably would have kept wearing the amulet but there are behind-the-scenes reasons why both stopped happening.  

I know the BTS reason for the amulet.  What is it for the Impala?  Is he a bad driver?

• Love 1

They have several cars for shoots of course, one (maybe two, not quite sure) to use for "talking shots", when it`s just having dialogue in the car and such, no stunt driving or anything.  I think the stunt-car is called the "hero-car". But I digress. A lot of shooting in the car is actually done in that "talking shots" one. When Jared was in the driver`s seat, he kept fiddling with stuff and broke some pieces of equipment time and again. It held up shots, it cost them time and money to fix over and over. At a certain point, it was just "okay, nope". They told the story at a con couple years back.

That said, Jensen is apparently a good "stunt-driver" for not actually being one so he brings that skill-sets to use for those scenes as well. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Aeryn13 said:

They have several cars for shoots of course, one (maybe two, not quite sure) to use for "talking shots", when it`s just having dialogue in the car and such, no stunt driving or anything.  I think the stunt-car is called the "hero-car". But I digress. A lot of shooting in the car is actually done in that "talking shots" one. When Jared was in the driver`s seat, he kept fiddling with stuff and broke some pieces of equipment time and again. It held up shots, it cost them time and money to fix over and over. At a certain point, it was just "okay, nope". They told the story at a con couple years back.

That said, Jensen is apparently a good "stunt-driver" for not actually being one so he brings that skill-sets to use for those scenes as well. 

That's pretty funny.  Based on what both Misha and Jensen have said about Jared breaking things just for the hell of it, I can see how that could become a problem.  LOL!  Thanks for the info.

• Love 3

UO: It could take another 13 seasons, but I fully expect this show to end when ratings have fizzled out enough for the network to suggest calling it a day. IMO Ackles and Jared have both shown they’re happy to stick with the money train for as long as it lasts and are unlikely to quit of their own accord. 

(And yes I’m aware that the same comment could be made about Misha, who has also stuck with the show for years despite a decline in the writing for his character, but it has always been clear the shows future is dependent on J2’s continued involvement (and not Misha’s) so I didn’t include him in the main statement) 

Misha, Jared and 'Ackles'. 

I hope it goes as long as they want it to. Selfishly, I'd like to see Jensen in another role, because he's such a gifted actor. But I'd miss Dean terribly. Oh, the first world problems, LOL. 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I hope it goes as long as they want it to. Selfishly, I'd like to see Jensen in another role, because he's such a gifted actor. But I'd miss Dean terribly. Oh, the first world problems, LOL. 

As I said personally I think they’ll keep the money train going for as long as possible. IMO the show will end as a result of one of three things (none of which I expect to happen anytime soon)

1. Network Cancels the Show

2. The CW itself goes defunct .

3. It happens a very, very long time from now when they’re extremly old and not physically up to the demanding schedule anymore. 

ETA: I’m betting on two being the most likely cause of those three. 

Edited by Wayward Son
27 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I agree! I may not always fully enjoy the show as the seasons go on but I always enjoy Dean.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

LOL seriously

26 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

3. It happens a very, very long time from now when they’re extremly old and not physically up to the demanding schedule anymore. 

So when they are 70?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

So when they are 70?

I’m not going to go as far as predicting an exact age,  just that it’ll be a long time from now and the show will be a similar age as British soap Coronation Street currently is LOL. 

* Coronation Street is 50 odd years old at present for anyone curious lol. 

12 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

UO: It could take another 13 seasons, but I fully expect this show to end when ratings have fizzled out enough for the network to suggest calling it a day. IMO Ackles and Jared have both shown they’re happy to stick with the money train for as long as it lasts and are unlikely to quit of their own accord. 

While I agree that the financial security of the show and cons are a big factor in their decision to continue, I do think it's more than that.  By all accounts, both Jensen and Jared were winding down.  They said they had agreed on an end date, and were ready to call it a day.  But then suddenly, people started taking notice of the show.  After 13 seasons they're relevant again.  I say again, but I don't know that they've ever received as much attention as they're getting now.  I didn't start watching until season 10, so I have no idea what sort of rollout the show got, but I'm guessing it wasn't that big.  I can't fault them for wanting to ride this wave for a bit.  

I think they feel a responsibility to the crew, and keeping everyone employed.  They love their working environment.  As much as the constant travel has to be a drag, it's their "normal".  They are like a family.  It's a very unique situation, and they've all worked on enough other sets to recognize and appreciate what they have here.  But I still think that one or two more seasons are all we're going to get.  

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, scribe95 said:

If they moved production to Austin the show could go FOREVER!

I could see it continuing forever (or at least until J2 are too old to keep up with the high demands of such a schedule) either way.  If missing time with the family or other commitments was enough to make them quit the show then they’d have done it by now. They wouldn’t be talking about continuing. 

18 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

While I agree that the financial security of the show and cons are a big factor in their decision to continue, I do think it's more than that.  By all accounts, both Jensen and Jared were winding down.  They said they had agreed on an end date, and were ready to call it a day.  But then suddenly, people started taking notice of the show.  After 13 seasons they're relevant again.  I say again, but I don't know that they've ever received as much attention as they're getting now.  I didn't start watching until season 10, so I have no idea what sort of rollout the show got, but I'm guessing it wasn't that big.  I can't fault them for wanting to ride this wave for a bit.  

I think they feel a responsibility to the crew, and keeping everyone employed.  They love their working environment.  As much as the constant travel has to be a drag, it's their "normal".  They are like a family.  It's a very unique situation, and they've all worked on enough other sets to recognize and appreciate what they have here.  But I still think that one or two more seasons are all we're going to get.  

The fact Ackles has referenced a desire to meet future benchmarks suggests to me he and Jared are considering staying for quite a while yet since the next benchmark would be episode 400 and that wouldn’t be until episode 21 of season 18. 

I think you outline their reasoning pretty well 

1. Keep the money train going (for themselves and the rest of the cast and crew).

2. So they can continue to be big fish in a little pond rather than risk being one of those one show wonders who fade into oblivion once the shows over. 

Whether Misha, Mark P, Alexander and the current writers and crew will be with the show for much longer is up in the air, but seems to me Ackles and Jared intend to be there a while yet. 

Edited by Wayward Son
20 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Whether Misha, Mark P, Alexander and the current writers and crew will be with the show for much longer is up in the air, but seems to me Ackles and Jared intend to be there a while yet.

Seriously, what's with the "Ackles" thing?  I personally get the appeal of being a big fish in a little pond.  They're actors, so they do have egos, but this is sort of the perfect situation.  They get the fan adoration when they want it, but they're also "unknown" enough to lead fairly normal lives.  I just don't see it as this huge negative.  We as fans have the ability to walk away from the show whenever we've had enough, regardless of what Jensen and Jared do.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

Seriously, what's with the "Ackles" thing?

Writing wise,it's totally unprofessional and would be ripped apart by an editor. Either use the last name for everyone, or the first name, or both, or the initials, or like the NYT does by using Mr. and  the last name. But then no one here is professional and,thus the biases flow free (on all sides).

For me,it messes with my former high school yearbook editor brain and makes me twitchy. LOL I would have red penned that in a heartbeat.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

And then when the show is over they can go with Jared's pitch....House Husbands of Austin.

No thanks! No reality TV for this girl. I agree with MysteryGuest that the show will only go on for a season or two more. I believe that Jensen and Jared have agreed on when/how to end the series and will do so in their timetable. What that is, we can only guess.

Also, catrox, you are absolutely correct regarding "Ackles" as written side by side with first names in multiple entries. It is not only unprofessional, IMO, but rude.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

Also, catrox, you are absolutely correct regarding "Ackles" as written side by side with first names in multiple entries. It is not only unprofessional, IMO, but rude.

Must admit that it throws me out totally, so that I cannot take the posts seriously, it is just so obviously derogatory to Jensen without actual content in the post.  On the subject of end of Supernatural though, I think I will have serious withdrawal as it has been such a major part of my life for around 8 years now.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Icarus said:

On the subject of end of Supernatural though, I think I will have serious withdrawal as it has been such a major part of my life for around 8 years now.

I've only been a fan watching live is 2014. And yet I will have withdrawal as well.

• Love 1

I think we all (or at least most) will have withdrawal when the show ends. I've watched since the pilot; recorded every episode to re-watch; own all the DVDs. Yes, I'll miss it very much. But what I'll miss the most is the character of Dean Winchester - my favorite of all time. I'm not in a hurry to have it end, I just think the guys may be getting there soon. Obviously, just an opinion.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, FlickChick said:

I think we all (or at least most) will have withdrawal when the show ends. I've watched since the pilot; recorded every episode to re-watch; own all the DVDs. Yes, I'll miss it very much. But what I'll miss the most is the character of Dean Winchester - my favorite of all time. I'm not in a hurry to have it end, I just think the guys may be getting there soon. Obviously, just an opinion.

Regardless of my opinion of the current regime, I feel pretty lucky to have discovered the show, even so late (S10 for me). And even more so that even when it does eventually end, we'll have hundreds of hours to enjoy forever. 

Dean shares first place in my heart as favourite male character ever  (with Brian Kinney). Jensen however is my favourite actor, both for his talent and his heart. 

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Dean shares first place in my heart as favourite male character ever  (with Brian Kinney).

For me it's Dean and Fox Mulder :) I started towards the end of season 10 but I didn't watch live until season 12 ( after some serious binge watching).

• Love 4
19 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

For me it's Dean and Fox Mulder :) I started towards the end of season 10 but I didn't watch live until season 12 ( after some serious binge watching).

Loves me some Fox Mulder! Loved that character from the beginning. However, I think that Jensen is a better actor than David. Obviously, just my opinion, and certainly not to imply that David is not a good actor, because I think he is.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, FlickChick said:

Loves me some Fox Mulder! Loved that character from the beginning. However, I think that Jensen is a better actor than David. Obviously, just my opinion, and certainly not to imply that David is not a good actor, because I think he is.

You may enjoy this video; cool comparison of Dean and Mulder! 

• Love 3

Based on most opinions I've seen on these boards and the net, I'm about the only one that's not at all thrilled with the cartoon episode this week. And, yes, I grew up loving Scooby Doo. I guess it just seems like this show has become such a joke already compared its origins that this is IMO the coming episode is a neon sign flashing that they know they made it into a joke and really don't care about what used to make the show great. Instead, it's more pandering to the least common denominator. But honestly, this is only a small portion of my problem with it. 

Mainly, "fun" episodes, like meta ones, were supposed to lighten up the season when myth arcs became too dark or tense, but this season we don't have anything like that, especially with the first half of the season mainly being used for WS set up. So IMO there is nothing to lighten up as not much of anything has actually happened. Instead we have so many loose ends that will probably be wrapped in the last two episodes so rushed and unsupportingly, except with a lot of LOLcanon, that it irritates me when this episode could be a lot more meat to resolving things. 

Why can't we have showrunners who actually care about our show as much as us so they would actually plot out storylines instead of throwing everything out and seeing what sticks?

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Res said:

Based on most opinions I've seen on these boards and the net, I'm about the only one that's not at all thrilled with the cartoon episode this week.

You're not alone! I'm right there with you. I'm just not feeling it.

16 minutes ago, Res said:

Mainly, "fun" episodes, like meta ones, were supposed to lighten up the season when myth arcs became too dark or tense, but this season we don't have anything like that,

Good point. Season one: Where's Dad & the YED softened with Bugs & Hell House. Season two: the YED's plan and Sam's visions cut with Tall Tales & Hollywood Babylon. Season three: Dean's impending deal softened by Mystery Spot & Bad Day At Black Rock. I could go on but everyone knows the episodes that were aired to lighten the season up a bit. This season we've had brother angst regarding Jack & Mary and just general angst regarding Lucifer but nothing near the emotion or urgency of the early seasons IMO.

• Love 4

I'm not really an animation fan so not terribly into the Scooby Doo thing. But I do think this season has been overall depressing and since I haven't enjoyed the AU stuff I need a break of sorts.

Also, the Scooby Doo thing is getting the show a lot of mainstream publicity. which is always good for the show. 

10 hours ago, Res said:

Based on most opinions I've seen on these boards and the net, I'm about the only one that's not at all thrilled with the cartoon episode this week. And, yes, I grew up loving Scooby Doo. I guess it just seems like this show has become such a joke already compared its origins that this is IMO the coming episode is a neon sign flashing that they know they made it into a joke and really don't care about what used to make the show great. Instead, it's more pandering to the least common denominator. But honestly, this is only a small portion of my problem with it. 

Mainly, "fun" episodes, like meta ones, were supposed to lighten up the season when myth arcs became too dark or tense, but this season we don't have anything like that, especially with the first half of the season mainly being used for WS set up. So IMO there is nothing to lighten up as not much of anything has actually happened. Instead we have so many loose ends that will probably be wrapped in the last two episodes so rushed and unsupportingly, except with a lot of LOLcanon, that it irritates me when this episode could be a lot more meat to resolving things. 

Why can't we have showrunners who actually care about our show as much as us so they would actually plot out storylines instead of throwing everything out and seeing what sticks?

Responding in the bitter spoiler thread just in case.

10 hours ago, Res said:

Having seen the episode, I’ll wait until it airs on Thursday before providing commentary in the episode thread (where we can debate my opinion). However I do want to say that your ‘it’s a joke’ opinion is in opposition to my ‘slightly subversive, highly entertaining, meta episode worthy of being played at Paleyfest’ gushfest perspective.  

• Love 1

I’m honestly not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but just in case! 

- I really hope they find a way to keep Jack/Alexander around next season! I think Alexander is a great actor and the clips I’ve seen of him give the impression he really loves being a part of the show. I also think Jack as a character has potential! 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

- I really hope they find a way to keep Jack/Alexander around next season! I think Alexander is a great actor and the clips I’ve seen of him give the impression he really loves being a part of the show. I also think Jack as a character has potential! 

I don't think it's too unpopular of an opinion.  I think Jack and Alex are both pretty popular with the fan base.  Dabb and Singer both couldn't say enough good things about him at Paleyfest.  I'll be surprised if he's a one and done character, but it will be interesting to see what they do about his powers.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, scribe95 said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant with the little curl out at the end. 

His s9 hair had that same curl but he tended to wear it behind his ears more which I really liked.

I also really liked his look when he had wet hair in s10. Other seasons his hair gets too poofy for my tastes.  His hair looked good in early s10 and then they cut it too short and without enough layers.

At least, I think we can all agree that his hair in s10 midway was a disaster LOL