Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Tom and Grant (together with Betty Dubney‏ who also works for The Flash) have a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo:

TOM&GRANT is a HEIST. A bank job. And we want your company as we undergo the robbery. Here’s the thing, though: we need greenbacks, moolah, cash money, $$$. We need a l’il help fronting the capital to get the operation off the ground, see. After all, TOM&GRANT wouldn’t be thinkin’ about knocking off a bank if they had stacks of cash to make a short film. To get you hooked we’ve come with some unique perks & collectibles. So sit back, become a backer and let TOM&GRANT make you laugh!

• Love 1

Movie & TV Award Nominations:

MTV on Thursday unveiled the (slightly confusing) list of nominees for its first-ever MTV Movie & TV Awards, which has TV and film competing in many of the same categories.

BEST HERO
Felicity Jones, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Grant Gustin, The Flash
Mike Colter, Marvel’s Luke Cage
Millie Bobby Brown, Stranger Things
Stephen Amell, Arrow
Taraji P. Henson, Hidden Figures

(edited)

JL Martin and Tom Felton hanging out:

I kinda want to keep Felton on the show, but we need less dudes and more ladies.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Trini said:

JL Martin and Tom Felton hanging out:

I kinda want to keep Felton on the show, but we need less dudes and more ladies.

I'm hoping so much that he stays.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Proteus said:

I'm hoping so much that he stays.

Same here. I'd be fine with Tom Felton sticking around. My ideal cast for next season would include Tom Felton and Violett Beane. I'm afraid that even with more females won't fix their writing issues with the females.

On another note, awesome pic of THE Draco Malfoy wearing a Slytherin shirt and sitting to watch an orchestrated version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

• Love 1

We also need more Gypsy.  I can't get enough of her, and now that she's practically admitted to having feelings for Cisco, she and he would make a formidable team-up if she ever decided to give up inter-dimensional bounty hunting and move permanently to Earth-1.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Trini said:

With Gypsy, I want to keep her as recurring, just so they have less chance to screw her up.

You have a point, and I can also hear viewers screaming if she did give up bounty hunting and moved permanently to Earth-1 to be with Cisco that it's just the same old misogynist trope of making the woman be the one to give up her career and her life for a man.  But realistically, how else would they make the relationship work, since inter-dimensional traveling is illegal on Earth-19, and Cisco would therefore (as Gypsy correctly pointed out) be taking his life into his own hands if he traveled to Earth-19 to be with her?

CW uploaded a new promo for 3.19 with a few different clips:

Now it has more Top and Mirror Master; and possibly Barry being hit by another version of himself?
(Previous promo)

---------

On 4/9/2017 at 6:09 PM, legaleagle53 said:

You have a point, and I can also hear viewers screaming if she did give up bounty hunting and moved permanently to Earth-1 to be with Cisco that it's just the same old misogynist trope of making the woman be the one to give up her career and her life for a man.  But realistically, how else would they make the relationship work, since inter-dimensional traveling is illegal on Earth-19, and Cisco would therefore (as Gypsy correctly pointed out) be taking his life into his own hands if he traveled to Earth-19 to be with her?

I'll go to the Relationships thread with my idea.

Edited by Trini
fixed video link

"Once and Future Flash" preview article:

Devastated by losing the love of his life, this Barry is “totally alone” until his past self arrives, setting the stage for double the Gustin. “It’s a lot of scenes with Barry and Barry, and they’re pretty emotional scenes from both sides,” says the actor.

For Gustin — who briefly played opposite himself during the series’ first visit to Earth-Two — tackling an older Barry wasn’t quite the same as when Stephen Amell from sister series Arrow played a much older, grumpier (and pudgier) Oliver Queen on Legends of Tomorrow. Future Barry is “about eight years older, which in a way made it more challenging for me, because it wasn’t like, ‘This is my grizzled, older self,’” he noted. All told, “They were some of the more challenging scenes I’ve done — if not just this year, in the whole series, because I’m my own scene partner.”

New interview and photoshoot of Candice at Vulkan magazine!

What has been the most enjoyable part of playing Iris and being a part of “The Flash” cast?

For me, it’s how much young girls connect to Iris and the show in general. Sometimes, we work so much its easy to get caught up in the day to day and forget the reach the show has. It’s amazing how much film, television, and characters themselves can resonate so deeply with people. That’s a beautiful and powerful thing.

Are there any challenges with playing the same character for a longer stretch of time?

Iris is a joy to play, but I think anything you do for a long period of time will make you want to stretch yourself in a new different way. While I have no desire to say goodbye to Iris anytime soon, I do think it would be creatively fulfilling to try other things as well if I can find the time.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, doram said:

That is an amazing photoshoot. Candice looks amazing. But surprising that they had one for Iris at the tail end of the season. Doesn't the network usually do these at the start of the season? 

That blue dress is pretty hot, but I loved that shot of her in the red jacket. Damn !!  

20 minutes ago, doram said:

That is an amazing photoshoot. Candice looks amazing. But surprising that they had one for Iris at the tail end of the season. Doesn't the network usually do these at the start of the season? 

I don't think the network arranged it, it was probably Candice's own people. She does photo shoots in her spare time occasionally. 

• Love 3

A few quotes from Danielle about Killer Frost from C2E2:

"The way it was explained to me was it's like an addict and Killer Frost is someone who lives inside with Caitlin." Panabaker said. "She's got this bad person inside her and it's learning how to be in control with the help of the bracelets and necklace she can squish her."

Panabaker confirms that she had some say in the Killer Frost's vibe and look but was unable to give any details since those episodes hasn't aired yet.

Mmmmyeah. So they still don't have an explanation about WHY there's a "bad person inside of her" in the first place.

2 hours ago, doram said:

Are you surprised? Danielle constantly proves that she has no understanding of her character or the role she's supposed to play in this story.

I don't know about all that; I blame the writers who  insist on doing this villainous KF arc even though that character has next to nothing to do with the Caitlin Snow that's been here for 3 seasons.

I hope so. He and Grant were absolutely adorable - when he got down on one knee and asked him to take him back for season 4 I actually shouted, "Say yes!". I can't say it enough, Felton was wonderful this year and I really, really want him to come back. Make it happen, showrunners! 

One thing: Grant seemed pretty confident that another musical would happen. (Did he hear something from TPTB?) The actual episode didn't really bump up the ratings much, but it did give everyone (CW, the producers, etc.) an "event" to promote. -- And it was widely covered in the media. I don't know if they'd try another crossover/musical, but maybe a fantasy/'what if' episode with a few songs.

Interviews with Tom Cavanugh about directing the episode:
Variety:

How did directing an episode come about? Was it something you wanted to do or did they approach you about it?

Generally, when I am signing a contract for a television series, we have a handshake deal in there about directing. This is my third show for Greg Berlanti, and they sort of know I like to direct. In the past the stuff that I’ve done seems to have been well-enough received that it allowed me to forge forth.

... You’re no stranger of playing multiple versions of the same character, or acting opposite yourself. Was it fun directing altered, future versions of the other characters?

That’s part of the aspect of this episode that I really, really liked. We see a whole different world. We got to mess some stuff up. I’ve played five or six or seven different versions of myself since the show started but most of the cast has just played one or two versions of their character. In this one, I think it was great for them to pull out of the hat another version of themselves. I think both Grant and Carlos Valdes in particular were exceptional in this episode. They’re very talented to begin with, but then you add these different layers you kind of marvel at their abilities.

Access Hollywood:

Did they write you out for this episode so that you could direct it? 

Tom: No, I like being in it. We talked about that. … Most of the stuff I've directed I've been in and it's just – it's one less actor you have to convey a vision to. I'm like, 'Yeah, I know it. You want me to turn to the camera at this point and then kind of drive the camera by moving camera right up until I get to this spot and then turn back?' 'Got it.' (laughs). You're a vehicle for the camera sometimes as an actor, and if the two meld together well, that can make for good storytelling and a good shot. When I'm an actor in it, I don't have to explain the way I think it is and also, if I muck it up I can yell at myself.

TV Insider:

Of course this episode, "The Once and Future Flash," is no small feat for any director. Not only are you doing a superhero stuff, but also visiting the future where Barry meets his crew in 2024.

Yeah, it's a funny thing when you're working on these things. [Laughs]. Because you do have a budget and it may be like, you get five split-screens on a shot because you have to do Grant versus Grant, but then you know that means you're not gonna have as much money for Caitlin's ice throws. So you're go 'Give me three split screens and I'll [use some] for the ice effects." It's incredible, every director that comes into the show will tell you that they have to think of how many times they want to see the Flash speed in on camera versus off camera, because that costs us money to do the key effects. Or do they want to save up for the big punch or a slow-motion dive or something? You have all these effects that you want to do and can do, so then you end up bartering! But on my episode, we're leaving present time, and we're going to see a villain who goes in and out of mirrors...that's a huge thing. We're going to have Barry talking to Barry, that's a huge thing. There's a lot happening on screen.

He also talks a little  about the side project him and Grant are doing.

Hey, sorry to break in, Flash (and comic book in general) newbie here. I need some help and I figured you were the people to come to.

My daughter turns 14 this weekend and she has become a HUGE Flash fangirl/nerd in the last year. As a birthday present we're thinking of getting her tickets to a comic con or some other event that might feature members of the Flash cast. A cursory Google search is not helping me find anything. (I've found a couple with Arrow people, and that might work as a backup cause she loves that too.)

I would prefer one in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas or Missouri. Probably can't afford to go much further than that. And if Grant Gustin were appearing somewhere, that would be ideal (although I'm reading online that he doesn't do comic cons, although he just recently did his first?)

Any guidance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

On 4/26/2017 at 1:58 PM, Trini said:

Love the cape! No villain is ever truly complete without one, I say. I remember thinking it worked really well on Siren too; glad to hear the actress is having fun with it. Also, from the comments it looks (spoiler?) like Mitovich is going to be adressing the...controversial...psychological changes that have come with the Frost personality in an upcoming feature. I wonder if they'll lean toward the comic explanation or go somewhere else with it?

On 4/26/2017 at 2:06 PM, doram said:

Ugh. What was wrong with E2 KF's look? That was bad-ass. This is just another jumped up hooker outfit. And this was DP's idea? 

While I'm sure all involved were excited to put together a visually striking outfit, as someone who has worn her fair share of leather, vinyl, and corsets, I'm thinking part of these changes might just be a matter of practicality. E-2 Killer Frost didn't have a lot to do physically, so her platforms, vinyl pants, and strapless, corset-style top were feasible, and looked fantastic.  From what we've seen so far it looks like there is going to be more stunt work involved for this iteration, so having a more structured, belted jacket with boning, etc. would prevent any unwanted movement up top, while the skirt would allow for more freedom of movement below the waist. Same for the platforms - more comfortable than over the knee boots, but so much harder to move quickly or efficiently in. Being television I'm sure the visual will probably always take priority, so none of this is going to be truly practical; but in this case I think they did well in giving the new costume a bit more leeway. 

On 4/26/2017 at 2:06 PM, doram said:

• Love 1
(edited)

TVLine's preview article for 3.20, "I Know Who You Are", with quotes from the cast.

“Today I’m doing a scene with the beautiful Tom Felton, who makes it very difficult for me to stay focused on the scene because of how gorgeous he is…,” Valdes quipped during TVLine’s visit to the set, in the wake of an extremely intense scene where Cisco and Julian engaged in a war of words. “They reach a bit of a rift, because Cisco carries these reservations with him as of late about his powers. This is his worst nightmare, because the last thing he wants to do is hurt Caitlin.”

Felton in turn frames the row thusly: “Killer Frost is on the rampage, and Cisco and I are falling out slightly over the best manner in which to try and get her back. She’s full-blown nutter, so we have to rely on some pretty severe methods to try and stop her.”

Emblematic of what a piece of work she is, Killer Frost knows — and takes advantage — of the inner torment she is causing Cisco et al. “Knowing that that person is still physically their Caitlin Snow, they do want to save her,” Danielle Panabaker points out. “But I think that gives Killer Frost an upper hand, because she knows that they won’t kill her. Or she’s at least gambling on the fact that they won’t.”

Edited by Trini

Another preview article with quotes, (mainly about Killer Frost/Caitlin) but more *spoilers* since it talks about end-of-season events, too:

“How lost is Caitlin that she’s willing to do what Savitar needs her to do?” Kreisberg notes. “She plays a unique part. He’s not just looking for an evil cohort; she’s actually necessary for him to pull off his plans.”

Her mission will pit her directly against Team Flash, specifically Cisco as the duo’s face-off has been prophesied since early in season 3 — and ends in Cisco losing his arms (and his powers) if Killer Frost gets her way. “The relationship between Cisco and Caitlin is so pure, and it’s one of my favorite relationships on the show,” Panabaker says. “It’s completely platonic. It doesn’t feel that either one wants more from the other than the deep sibling-like love that they have for each other. It’s going to be very taxing on Cisco, in particular, because Killer Frost doesn’t care about Cisco the way that Caitlin Snow did.”

I haven't watched/listened to this, but I thought some here might be interested: Someone gave a presentation at a fan studies panel (PCAACA 2017) and the presentation is (among others) about Iris West:

If this is more appropriate for the Lightning Rods topic, let me know

• Love 2
(edited)

Two more interviews with Danielle: ET Online (video); and TV Insider:

Though, does it add a lot of extra time in the hair and makeup room now for you?

You know what, honestly it doesn't. On a normal day, it's about an hour for me to get through hair and makeup, and we've gotten it down to a science, so now it's about an hour and a half [for the Frost look]. The biggest difference is that they have to basically gel my hair back, paint it white so that my brunette hair doesn't shine through and then put the wig cap on.

Do you think her connection to Julian could help draw Caitlin back out? He's clearly into her...

I think Julian is pretty committed to helping Caitlin, to try and find a cure, particularly in that episode that we saw that flashes forward. We see that he has made it his life's mission, so I think Julian will be there for Caitlin. I think Caitlin has had her own struggles with that relationship, in particular. And while I think Julian was definitely into Caitlin, I'm not sure how into Julian Caitlin is. I think she's a little wary, having had two of her previous boyfriends ripped from her in very devastating ways. I think, hopefully, she's a little bit more trepidatious this go-round with romance. [Laughs]

Yeah, it pretty clear to me that Julian(/Tom) is way more into the relationship than Caitlin/Danielle. I mean, I wasn't a fan with pairing her up with this season's guest star, but at least Felton is selling it.

Edited by Trini
47 minutes ago, doram said:

? The only Caitlin romance Danielle has ever been interested in selling is the non - existent one with Barry which is why I think there's a grain of truth in the theory that the show is angling for an eventual Snowbarry endgame. ?

She couldn't qualify Caitlin x Cisco as platonic fast enough. Apparently, she does know what the word means. She's just selective about what she applies it to. 

She also stated that Barry has been all about Iris "lately", connoting his feelings as a recent thing, and not something that has been a fabric of the show since the Pilot.

Beyond any doubt, this show is definitely going to end on Snowbarry. 

1 hour ago, doram said:

? The only Caitlin romance Danielle has ever been interested in selling is the non - existent one with Barry which is why I think there's a grain of truth in the theory that the show is angling for an eventual Snowbarry endgame. ?

Danielle can say whatever she wants, the show has had a clear narrative from day one.

• Love 1

Episode 3.20 postmortem with Kreisberg, also talks about what gets revealed in the next episode, so *spoilers* :

The reveal somewhat explains how Savitar knew so much about Team Flash, but does not yet fully explain why a future version of Barry would want to kill Iris West (Candice Patton). “You get that in the next episode, and the mystery is ongoing, but obviously Savitar is a version of Barry Allen, a heavily scarred version,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg tells EW.

“What’s really cool for anyone who thought that there wasn’t a plan, or we didn’t know, or we were making this up as we go, this was always where we were heading,” Kreisberg says. “The idea that the darkest villain we could come up with was actually a very damaged version of our hero was interesting and fresh to us. We’re not only competing with all the stuff that we’ve done on Flash, but we’re always competing with everything we’ve done on all the other shows. So to have our lead actor be both the hero and the villain isn’t something we’ve done before, so that was exciting for us as storytellers.”

Months ago, Kreisberg. Most of the casual viewers probably didn't pick up on it, but many saw this coming MONTHS AGO.

• Love 6
On 5/2/2017 at 5:51 PM, doram said:

I wouldn't read too much into that stuff.  Danielle Panabaker has been a professional working actress for over a decade.  As such, she wants her characters to be as involved as possible in as much as possible.  Barry in a romance with Caitlin means she gets working screentime.  So does Barry leave her character for Iris.  Hell, I'm pretty sure she'd be cool with Caitlin having a romance with Iris if not for the "Lesbians Die" rule of TV.