Type keyword(s) to search

Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind

• Start Topic

Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind bows on July 16 on HBO, offering an intimate portrait of one of the world’s most beloved and inventive comedians, Told largely by Williams himself, the documentary examines his life, career, and what drove him to give voice to the characters in his mind.

Oh, man, that bit about the platypus, and the clip of him at the Critics' Choice Awards. Hilarious :D. And aw, the clip of him on Craig Ferguson's show. 

Seeing those clips from "Mork and Mindy" and Aladdin were bittersweet, 'cause that was my childhood right there, along with Ferngully. My parents loved Robin's work in general, so I grew up on his stuff. It was like a part of my childhood died when he died. 

As the documentary went on and they talked about him struggling to overcome the drugs and the alcohol (testifying in his friend's drug overdose investigation, holy shit, talk about your wake up call), and then later his heart surgery and the stuff about his appreciation for life, I just kept thinking, "It's not fair." Here's this super talented, incredibly brilliant, quick-witted guy, who's managed to overcome so much other stuff, and this is how he goes out. His sharp brain giving out on him like that. It's just...not fair.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, man, that bit about the platypus, and the clip of him at the Critics' Choice Awards. Hilarious :D. And aw, the clip of him on Craig Ferguson's show. 

Seeing those clips from "Mork and Mindy" and Aladdin were bittersweet, 'cause that was my childhood right there, along with Ferngully. My parents loved Robin's work in general, so I grew up on his stuff. It was like a part of my childhood died when he died. 

As the documentary went on and they talked about him struggling to overcome the drugs and the alcohol (testifying in his friend's drug overdose investigation, holy shit, talk about your wake up call), and then later his heart surgery and the stuff about his appreciation for life, I just kept thinking, "It's not fair." Here's this super talented, incredibly brilliant, quick-witted guy, who's managed to overcome so much other stuff, and this is how he goes out. His sharp brain giving out on him like that. It's just...not fair.  

My heart broke for Pam Dawber when you heard her talking about him on Mork and Mindy and later on the Crazy Ones. I wonder if the drugs led to his physical issues. I never knew he had half brothers and had been in a relationship with Elaine Boozler.

• Love 7
(edited)
11 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

My heart broke for Pam Dawber when you heard her talking about him on Mork and Mindy and later on the Crazy Ones. I wonder if the drugs led to his physical issues. I never knew he had half brothers and had been in a relationship with Elaine Boozler.

I got choked up when she started crying while trying to talk about his death. Her love for him was so clear and strong. And I too had no idea about his extended family before this documentary. 

And yeah, even if his disease at the end of his life was a genetic thing, I would imagine his years of heavy duty drug and alcohol abuse certainly didn't help matters, no. Sure, he quit the drugs back in the '80s, but if he was partying as hard as they made it sound like he was before he finally kicked them, that can still do a pretty good deal of damage that can catch up to you as the years go on. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3

Sighs....Robin, John Ritter, Bernie Mac and Lucille Ball's deaths were hard for me; Lucy especially as her and Carol Burnett's shows helped me through a rough and lonely childhood.

Watching his friends speak of him with such love made me so sad for them; what a shame that he couldn't feel just how much he was loved.

• Love 4

There were wedding photos, but no mention of even her name, I believe. Hmm.

I found myself engrossed by this, HBO really hits the mark on their documentaries. Robin, you are missed.

• Love 4

this was so sad. were there implications that his disease "something dementia" was a factor in his suicide? that his mind was betraying him? if in his right mind he wouldn't have done it?

he had to have seeming going on though, the way everyone said he was so quiet until it was time to perform, the way he looked so sad in some shots. very sad doc. i feel horrible for him. it sounds like depression at least with who knows what else . so dad.

• Love 4

I had to remind myself what the disease was - It's called Lewy Body Dementia, and evidently it is closely related to Parkinson's and thus was misdiagnosed during his life.  I don't know why Susan Williams was  not in the documentary (nor was the second wife) - maybe just too emotional still.  But a Google should take you to an article - a very complete description of his condition that she wrote for a Neurologists' magazine.  It's really poignant, and probably could stand for what she would have said in the documentary.   She wrote that one minute the husband she knew would be there, and five minutes later he would be entirely different and beyond reason.  

• Love 5
(edited)

I thought the documentary was good, it kept my attention and it was nice to see the 'old' Robin again, laughing and getting the attention he craved.  You could sometimes see the sad side of Robin in some movies, like Good Will Hunting.  He showed the pain of loosing his wife so realistically you could tell he knew what personal pain felt like in his soul.   I get confused about the disease, Lewy Body Dementia.  I get that it is a type of dementia but in the documentary Bobcat was saying, "His brain was lying to him."   What was his brain saying to him that upset him or am I not understating the situation? 

Edited by MarMar
  • Love 3

My feeling was he had probably learned enough about Lewy Body dementia (I’ve seen a few cases on a neuro psych unit & it’s not pretty) and he felt that he wanted to make the decision about his last days on his own terms. But maybe I’m just projecting.

• Love 2

I didn't want to watch this.  I'm a fan, but not even close to being the biggest fan.  But, Robin Williams was always there.  In a new movie, a talk show appearance, a comedy show.  He would always make me laugh.  I was so sad when he died.  Sad about how he died.  When he would pop up in an old movie clip, I would feel sad.  I'm glad I watched this.  It was a fitting tribute.  

• Love 4
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, Chippings said:

I had to remind myself what the disease was - It's called Lewy Body Dementia, and evidently it is closely related to Parkinson's and thus was misdiagnosed during his life.  I don't know why Susan Williams was  not in the documentary (nor was the second wife) - maybe just too emotional still.  But a Google should take you to an article - a very complete description of his condition that she wrote for a Neurologists' magazine.  It's really poignant, and probably could stand for what she would have said in the documentary.   She wrote that one minute the husband she knew would be there, and five minutes later he would be entirely different and beyond reason.  

Here is the link: http://n.neurology.org/content/87/13/1308.full

• Love 1

I  had a dear friend die of Lewy last year, he saw things that were not there and it made him insane. It was horrible. He wanted to leave this world as well.  I think that someone did help my friend before it was all over with, but I will never know for sure. Poor Robin. Man, talk about ONE OF A KIND. What a talent. 

• Love 4

I had never heard of it until he was diagnosed. It was very quick let me tell you. Of course he was diagnosed with Parkinsons first, and then Lewy. A great mind was ravaged. We went to college together in the 60's, he was a Rhodes scholar. Did you read the thing above that Mrs. Williams wrote about the disease from "Foundtime"? It explains a lot. I tell you, but for the grace of God go we, I am so thankful to still have health at this age. 

It sounds truly horrifying - I'm sorry for your friend, and sorry for Robin Williams.

I met him once a long time ago at MacWorld.  His mother was one of the exhibitors.  We were watching her spiel and I noticed this guy and gal standing, and then noticed two really really big guys behind them.  He was in a crowd, he should have just been quiet, but he couldn't help saying stuff to his wife under his breath.  And as distinctive as his voice was, everyone in the crowd just turned.  So we all got to meet Robin Williams.

I loved seeing all the people he came up with:  Christopher Reeve, Dave Letterman, De Niro.

• Love 2

My daughter lives in Sonoma County, so every time we go to the city from here and come back, we go through the Robin Williams tunnel, and I get a little teary-eyed every time.  What a fascinating mind he had, and how horribly tragic that his mind was what was attacked by a horrible disease.  I didn't like everything he did, but he was always mesmerizing, and often you could glimpse the tragic mask behind the comic one.  I'm glad we got to experience the gift of his talent!

• Love 3

Finally got to watch this because of my HBO free weekend. Those Mork and Mindy outtakes were hilarious! I also loved the ones from his bit with Elmo on Sesame Street. "I only had three lines!"

I'll echo on how candid Valerie and Zak were. 

It was great to see his old stuff...until the last 10 minutes reminded me how it ended. It still hurts. If only he hadn't been misdiagnosed, maybe things would be different.

• Love 4