Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Kimmy Is...Little Girl, Big City!

(edited)

Aaack. I got a minute past when Kimmy invited kabir into her office and had to stop. Couldn’t with the sexual harassment jokes. 

Edited by betha
  • Love 1

I don’t know if I’m simply much crabbier or if these episodes were just a lot weaker than the past seasons. Just focusing on the first episode, Kimmy seeing everyone at work as if they were Titus was a terrible solution (even though it was a funny visual.) She’s perfectly capable of learning how all of her coworkers would like to interact with her as individuals. The whole situation felt like a storyline that could have been from the first season; Kimmy should have grown as a character by now. Mikey seemed even dumber/more gullible than before. And it was a bummer to lose Artie because I found Lillian most sympathetic/tolerable when they were together. 

Maybe I was just bitter the show hadn’t brought Daveed Diggs back this season...

• Love 8

It sucks that Artie died, he and Lillian were great together. I will say, having some rich dickheads snort his cremated body is very...Lillian. 

"Just like Brittany Spears in crossroads!" 

When did Mikey get so dumb? He wasn't knowledgeable about gay culture or his sexuality, but I dont remember him being stupid in the past. 

• Love 12

This episode was painful. Kimmy has been out of the bunker too long now to be THAT naive about sexual harassment. It also came off a bit like downplaying all the sexual harassment issues that have been in the news, like maybe those creeps also had no clue how their yucky behavior affected others. It was just a joke! He had no idea everyone didn't like that sort of thing! Which can't possibly be the intended message, but the attempt at a comedy based around harassment was clunky at best. But I don't know how Kimmy was expected to be any good at HR. Not only has she not had the slightest training, her name isn't even Linda!

• Love 14
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

It sucks that Artie died, he and Lillian were great together. I will say, having some rich dickheads snort his cremated body is very...Lillian. 

"Just like Brittany Spears in crossroads!" 

When did Mikey get so dumb? He wasn't knowledgeable about gay culture or his sexuality, but I dont remember him being stupid in the past. 

Yeah, they lowered Mikey's IQ last season for some reason, and it's carried over into this season. 

But was it just me, or did it look like Mikey's leather jacket sleeve in the last final scene with the money exchange and the puppet? I thought it was weird that the story line just kinda ended with Mikey all, "Well, I'm glad we can remain friends" and just walking off. There's got to be more happening with him. And hey, his grandmother is a puppet, so he's got connections to that world...

• Love 3

"Just like Britney Spears in Crossroads!" I just listened to the Crossroads episode of How Did This Get Made for the billionth time the other day so this made me laugh out loud.

"I don't like his politics, I'm just saying those are the best steaks I've ever had." Oh Lillian. I don't know if being snorted like cocaine was the way Artie wanted his eternal rest to go, but I could definitely see Lillian running home to update her will.

I agree that they kind of fumbled the sexual harassment storyline, but I think I get what they were going for: it wasn't trying to paint the Weinsteins of the world as not knowing that their behavior was wrong, but that everybody--even people as kind and well-meaning as Kimmy, who we the audience know is not trying to hurt or humiliate anyone--needs to examine the way they interact with others and make sure that it's within the bound of propriety. Kimmy gives people hugs and high fives because that's what she wants, but she's finally learning that most people don't want that, especially not at work. The visual at the end with all the Titus's was amusing, but Kimmy is definitely emotionally intelligent enough to know that everybody is unique and has their own needs as regards human interaction, and as the director of HR she should be taking that into account.

I loved the Kinnear Kinnear joke as a follow up to the Mara Mara joke from last season.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I agree that they kind of fumbled the sexual harassment storyline, but I think I get what they were going for: it wasn't trying to paint the Weinsteins of the world as not knowing that their behavior was wrong, but that everybody--even people as kind and well-meaning as Kimmy, who we the audience know is not trying to hurt or humiliate anyone--needs to examine the way they interact with others and make sure that it's within the bound of propriety. Kimmy gives people hugs and high fives because that's what she wants, but she's finally learning that most people don't want that, especially not at work. The visual at the end with all the Titus's was amusing, but Kimmy is definitely emotionally intelligent enough to know that everybody is unique and has their own needs as regards human interaction, and as the director of HR she should be taking that into account.

That is sort of what i took away, not that actual harassers had no clue so it should be ok, but that even a dumb-dumb like Kimmy can learn from her mistakes and try to understand other people and improve herself.

As far as Kimmy knowing better, sure she has been out of the bunker for awhile now, but she has never had a real job before. Plus a big chunk of what she knows about adult social interactions comes from Titus, Lillian and Jacqueline.

• Love 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That is sort of what i took away, not that actual harassers had no clue so it should be ok, but that even a dumb-dumb like Kimmy can learn from her mistakes and try to understand other people and improve herself.

As far as Kimmy knowing better, sure she has been out of the bunker for awhile now, but she has never had a real job before. Plus a big chunk of what she knows about adult social interactions comes from Titus, Lillian and Jacqueline.

I agree. If you ever read the blog Ask a Manager (and you should), it sometimes comes up that you really do have to be taught how to work in an office. I can think of some regular commenters who say stuff like, "I'm the first person in my family to have a white-collar job in an office; everyone in my family wore uniforms to work so no one could teach me what to wear." My best friend worked in BigLaw for a while and one of the orientation items for summer associates was essentially "how to function in a formal office" - and my friend said a lot of them needed the guidance. And Lillian, Titus, and Jacqueline are good people at the core and good friends to Kimmy, but they're unconventional - and none of them appear to have worked in an office either.

I did laugh out loud when Titus referenced the overdue book he's been using as abs and it was "How to Care for Your Fade." (I follow Titus on IG and he's slimming down!)

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I loved how affable Greg Kinnear was about pretending to do a fight scene with Titus and then being open to doing an actual series (on YouTube Brown, but still!).

22 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I agree. If you ever read the blog Ask a Manager (and you should), it sometimes comes up that you really do have to be taught how to work in an office. I can think of some regular commenters who say stuff like, "I'm the first person in my family to have a white-collar job in an office; everyone in my family wore uniforms to work so no one could teach me what to wear." My best friend worked in BigLaw for a while and one of the orientation items for summer associates was essentially "how to function in a formal office" - and my friend said a lot of them needed the guidance.

This is very true. Due to her arrested development courtesy of her time in the bunker, Kimmy is essentially a 12 year old and to a middle school kid, high fives and hugs are normal behavior. And like you said, a lot of people need to be told how to behave at work.

Mr. EB works at a firm that has interns every summer and he always ends up with stories. This year one of the male interns showed up for his first day wearing cargo shorts, flip flops, and a baseball hat and then sat down at a desk and put his feet up (and not a desk in a private office - this was in a common area where they have work stations). When I worked in a regular office, I wouldn't have worn even ONE of those things on casual Friday, let alone all of them on a Monday.

A few years ago, one of the interns had her boyfriend come visit her at work. She took him to the outdoor terrace area and proceeded to totally make out with him. I should add that one of the conference rooms which has floor to ceiling glass looks out onto the patio, and it's not mirrored glass so she could clearly see that there were people working inside but apparently she thought this was acceptable behavior at the office where she worked.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

I forgot, I also liked the jokes about how there were so many tv shows and none of them sound real. It's so true! And don't even get me started on these random apps/channels I'd have to pay for to watch your nonexistent-but-somehow-the-best-show-ever show. Especially living in NYC, there are posters everywhere for shows I am convinced do not really exist. I've been passing one on my way to work that's for an AT&T original series--like what even is that?! Who is watching it?!

You all make good points about even the most "normal" people needing to be taught how to work in an office. Not only is Kimmy, for all intents and purposes, a middle-schooler who frequently forgets it's not still 1999, but the American workplace has drastically changed since she first entered the bunker. Millennials dominate the job market right now, and the Giztoob offices are reminiscent of places like BuzzFeed, YouTube, Google, Facebook, that all have lots of fun activities and cool gadgets, not just desks and computers. To Kimmy, the whole place looks like fun, and fun for her involves hugs, high fives, and t-shirt cannons. 

And yes, I too have had my experience with people who did not spend fifteen years in a bunker and should know better in completely shitting the bed when it comes to office decorum. I had an internship at a late-night show in college, and was still there when they were interviewing the new interns for the following semester. The ways some of these kids would come in shocked me. The office was generally casual (unless you were someone who would be in the studio area and potentially cross paths with guests, then you did have to dress up a bit), but this internship was a huuuuge deal that plenty of people would kill for. One girl came in with her hair still wet from a shower and not combed. Guys came in with untucked shirts and saggy pants. This was at one of the Big Four networks. What are you doing???

• Love 3
6 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I forgot, I also liked the jokes about how there were so many tv shows and none of them sound real.

The way he pronounced Ray Donovan totally cracked me up. Part of me thinks that of course he doesn’t watch shows like Shameless because he’s not going to pay for cable channels like Showtime! But the other part of me thinks da foop? How has Titus not figured out how to watch shows like that for free on the internet? Plus Netflix has a lot of those shows! 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The way he pronounced Ray Donovan totally cracked me up. Part of me thinks that of course he doesn’t watch shows like Shameless because he’s not going to pay for cable channels like Showtime! But the other part of me thinks da foop? How has Titus not figured out how to watch shows like that for free on the internet? Plus Netflix has a lot of those shows! 

I think because like Kimmy, Titus is also stuck in the '90s.

Also, they don't have a computer, and streaming would take up too much of his datum!

• Love 3
On 02/06/2018 at 7:23 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Plus Netflix has a lot of those shows! 

You mean Houseflix (I was surprised that the show managed to get the logos of competitors like Hulu and Showtime but it seems Netflix doesn't exist in their universe.) 

9 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

I'm really over Lillian. I love Carol Kane and she's been great in other things, but I'm just tired of the character. I also have a really hard time understanding her. Is it just me?

Her eyes bother me so much I find it difficult to look at her. So bloodshot. 

Oh, also has anyone else noticed that her teeth change? 

• Love 5