Type keyword(s) to search

The Happytime Murders (2018)

• Start Topic

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:52 PM, Spartan Girl said:

So many things I cannot unsee...

LOL.  It does look deeply disturbing but I've got to admit, I'm going to see it when it comes out.

14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Seriously?! This movie has been in the works for a while. And it's not like they copied the Sesame Street characters -- dear God, seeing them do that stuff would've given me nightmares.

It appears to be about the tag line "No Sesame, all Street" that crossed the line.

Am on the fence about seeing this one.  For those who have bravely ventured into the theaters to watch it -- is it really that bad?  Or is it one of those films that is so bad it's good? 

You know, like a lot of the cheesy horror films you would see on SyFy these days.  If it is still fun to snark at, I might just go and see this thing anyway.

I went to see it this weekend. It wasn't all that funny, with a few exceptions, but was mostly entertaining to me. I got the feeling it was originally supposed to be a serious film noir style mystery that just featured puppets, and most of the jokes were added later in the process.

• Love 1

I saw it and it was that bad. The most offensive part is that it wasn't really all that funny. It was a mix of 'not quite'. It was not quite a mystery movie, not quite a parody, not quite a(n actually funny) comedy. It threw a couple of gross-out humor gags in a subpar mystery plot and relied too much on 'puppets are doing this - isn't that hilarious!' without actually making it hilarious. That said, the lady in the row in front of me literally shrieked with delight multiple times, so there are those for whom this landed squarely on their funny bone. I thought that was going to be me and was sad when it wasn't.

Edited by afterbite

I liked it because I like puppets. It's more interesting as a light dramatic mystery than it is as a comedy. The prolonged "joke" scenes were actually cringe-worthy, but some of the plot elements were clever enough that, the further into the movie I went, the better it held my interest. The main villain is pretty obvious, if you know what a Chekhov's Gunman is, but their actual identity and motivation was still a good twist. I think if I'd waited for streaming I might have taken a break and split this into two viewings, but I'm pretty hard to please in the theatre and I made it through this okay. With a longer run time and better world-building, or with a shorter runtime and less hamhandedly-delivered attempts at comedy, this would easily be a four star movie. As it is, I still give it three and a half. I barely laughed at all, but I was only bored during the parts where they tried way too hard to make me laugh. "Family Guy" knows how to beat a stupid or gross joke into the ground until it becomes hilarious. This movie doesn't.

• Love 1