Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E23: Let the Good Times Roll

• Start Topic

The holy oil cocktail Dean threw at Micheal looked like it just made a line in front of him, not a full circle. Was that supposed to even slow him down?

Why didn’t Dean take Cas with him when he teleported to Lucifer? Not that Cas would fight Lucifer with him, but at least to help Sam and Jack.

The BMoL had that bomb that kicked Lucifer out of President No-Continuity, and as far as I know the vessel survived that. Over/under on TPTB remembering that enough to at least have Ketch say they can’t make more?

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, takalotti said:

The holy oil cocktail Dean threw at Micheal looked like it just made a line in front of him, not a full circle. Was that supposed to even slow him down?

When it first lands it does seem to just form a line, but being oil I'd think that being oil, it would have flowed around him pretty quickly. I imagine budget concerns (saving money for all that wire work at the end, ya know *snerk*) prevented them from too much fire CGI or actual fire, but the very last shot of Michael after they peel away in the Impala looks kind of like the flames are surrounding him. I guess the bigger question is why it didn't set the gas pumps on fire, but ya know, magical holy fire?

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, takalotti said:

Why didn’t Dean take Cas with him when he teleported to Lucifer? Not that Cas would fight Lucifer with him, but at least to help Sam and Jack.

Cas seemed pretty adamant against him taking Michael in - maybe he refused to go along to 'watch him die' a la Swan Song. Or maybe the opposite - Dean was afraid Uber!Luci would kill Cas just for shits and giggles.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Cas seemed pretty adamant against him taking Michael in - maybe he refused to go along to 'watch him die' a la Swan Song. Or maybe the opposite - Dean was afraid Uber!Luci would kill Cas just for shits and giggles.

Or Dean told Cas to stay behind to take care of the Heaven should they all die with Lucifer. 

1 minute ago, S Cook Productions said:

Or Dean finger booped Cas on the forehead (because now he can) for both of those reasons to get him to stay behind...

OMG, "finger boop" is the best verb ever! Super silly with just the slightest hint of "almost sounds dirty."

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, takalotti said:

I was more annoyed that they fled from Michael in Baby, but then left her parked outside the bunker instead of using the garage. Michael would have found them anyway, but way to make it easy for him.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, S Cook Productions said:

Or Dean finger booped Cas on the forehead (because now he can) for both of those reasons to get him to stay behind...

OHHHH I like that notion.  LOL.

2 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I was more annoyed that they fled from Michael in Baby, but then left her parked outside the bunker instead of using the garage. Michael would have found them anyway, but way to make it easy for him.

So, do you think Deanichael went back to the bunker, got the new old clothes (tm @gonzosgirrl ) and took off with Baby?  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

Michael would have found them anyway, but way to make it easy for him.

I'm convinced that Michael's Deandar was set to high. I wouldn't be surprised if he had his eye on Dean for a long time. Plus he was in Mary, Jack and Lucifer's head so he knew where the bunker was pretty much all along.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I'm convinced that Michael's Deandar was set to high. I wouldn't be surprised if he had his eye on Dean for a long time. Plus he was in Mary, Jack and Lucifer's head so he knew where the bunker was pretty much all along.

A Deandar! I need one of those.

• Love 4
(edited)

Something I found interesting (in an observation ally interesting way) - they were training Jack.   Not just to keep I’m occupied but to prepare him to be a hunter.   Now they had him ‘intern’ in The Big Empty but Dean was dubious.   Dean was also surprised when Jack found a case in Tombstone.  And he definitely followed through with that.  But in 13.23; the were legit putting Jack into the field.   

And while it makes a ton of sense, it occurred to me that a super-powered Nephilim is just about the only ‘kid’ they would actively encourage.   In the past, they’ve had very little objection to a good guy hunting once the world of the Supernatural was exposed.  But they ‘accept’ Claire’s hunting, they weren’t thrilled with it.* And one of Dean’s big reasons for leaving Lisa and Ben was to keep Ben out of the life.  But Jack is getting actively trained (in a good way, Jack definitely wants to help).  And the boys have ‘adopted’ Jack.  I can’t imagine them adopting a normal human because of the hunting life.  So, while it’s possibly obvious to everyone else, it just occurred to me that Jack allows Sam, Dean, and Cas to have the joys of parenthood because of his unique abilities.   

* yes they taught her credit card fraud and Dean gave her a lore book but it’s not the same IMO.

Edited by SueB
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

When it first lands it does seem to just form a line, but being oil I'd think that being oil, it would have flowed around him pretty quickly. I imagine budget concerns (saving money for all that wire work at the end, ya know *snerk*) prevented them from too much fire CGI or actual fire, but the very last shot of Michael after they peel away in the Impala looks kind of like the flames are surrounding him. I guess the bigger question is why it didn't set the gas pumps on fire, but ya know, magical holy fire?

Wasn't that the entire flask of Holy Oil?  Do they have any more?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

Wasn't that the entire flask of Holy Oil?  Do they have any more?

Yes.  And I mourned it's breaking!  But since they've used a lot over the years, either it was a self-replenishing jar (loaves and fishes style) or they have a US source for it  

• Love 3

The more I watch AU Michael and Dean in this episode, the more I think that was the best part of the episode. Jensen and Christian had a spark and a nice rhythm in their scenes.  

I found it really interesting that AU Michael said Dean would be the first soul he saved and some would consider that an honor.   Yes, he said he would be the first life he took but IMO saving his soul was what really mattered.  And later said "Oh, I know what you are".  I think AU Michael was attempting to save AW from itself, possibly from Lucifer's influence since AU Lucifer did exist until AU Michael killed him.  I can't remember but I didn't have the impression their fight in the AU was because he thought he had to kill Lucifer because AU God commanded it ( assuming it's a different God, and that's not clear IMO).  IMO, it wasn't about their personal fight if his comments in this episode about purging the world of sin is the reason he did what he did in the AW.  It's NOT GOOD what he did to be sure and it seemed to be a bigger picture thing than because Dad wanted him to do it.  I think people are applying Our Michael and Our Lucifer's fight to AU Michael and AU Lucifer.

Assuming that Lucifer is really most sincerely dead, I think AU Michael might have decided to take Dean for a spin thinking he'll be the best way to get a bead on how to purge "our" Earth of sin.  Who better than to see about the "sinful" part of life than Dean Winchester?   Or what some he thinks is sinful.  Also, AU Michael only has impressions of Dean from traipsing through Mary, Sam, Jack, and Lucifer's head which may or may not be accurate or true but just their perspectives.

So assuming the show doesn't fuck this up, No spoilers, obviously, just some speccy thoughts right now. There is some great potential via Dean and AU Michael as to the  "nature of sin", "nature of humanity" , and the "nature of the divine" and all three have been seen in Dean Winchester.  How Dean being the "righteous man" might not be what AU Michael was expecting.  That what he thinks is "righteous" is not what Dean thinks is "righteous".  There is a ton to mine about how they each see their fathers.  If AU Michael's "Chuck" is different than "our Chuck". 

Please don't fuck this up, show.  Please.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

The more I watch AU Michael and Dean in this episode, the more I think that was the best part of the episode. Jensen and Christian had a spark and a nice rhythm in their scenes.  

Agree.  I wish they had brought Michael to our world sooner so they could have interacted more.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, SueB said:

Yes.  And I mourned it's breaking!  But since they've used a lot over the years, either it was a self-replenishing jar (loaves and fishes style) or they have a US source for it  

I’m the Catholic Church, holy oil is used for the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, Holy Orders and Anointing of the Sick. It is also used to consecrate a church, alter and vessels used during the Mass. it’s a safe bet that it can easily be found in large Catholic areas. It’s the 2nd largest Christian religion so they wouldn’t have to travel far. St. Louis has a fairly large Catholic population and wouldn’t be any further than they’ve traveled for hunts. I live in a fairly large Catholic city and there’s at least 6 Catholic Churches in a 5 mile radius from my house so they wouldn’t have to worry about depleting the supply. They could either take a little from every church or, more likely, if they take it all from one, the neighboring parishes could lend that one some of their oil to get them through the year. The bishop can also bless more if needed. 

Probably more than you wanted to know about holy oil. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, bearcatfan said:

I’m the Catholic Church, holy oil is used for the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, Holy Orders and Anointing of the Sick. It is also used to consecrate a church, alter and vessels used during the Mass. it’s a safe bet that it can easily be found in large Catholic areas. It’s the 2nd largest Christian religion so they wouldn’t have to travel far. St. Louis has a fairly large Catholic population and wouldn’t be any further than they’ve traveled for hunts. I live in a fairly large Catholic city and there’s at least 6 Catholic Churches in a 5 mile radius from my house so they wouldn’t have to worry about depleting the supply. They could either take a little from every church or, more likely, if they take it all from one, the neighboring parishes could lend that one some of their oil to get them through the year. The bishop can also bless more if needed. 

It seems like another one of those things where the SPN version doesn't quite jibe with the real world version. If I remember correctly, when we were first introduced to Holy Oil, it was supposed to be a rare substance - didn't Cas have to zap over to the Holy Land to retrieve it? But considering how much they've used since then, they probably buy it at Costco now, lol.

One thing I find weird is that AU Michael and OW Lucifer and Gabriel still referred to each other as 'brother'. So are we to assume that there is only one Chuck?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It seems like another one of those things where the SPN version doesn't quite jibe with the real world version. If I remember correctly, when we were first introduced to Holy Oil, it was supposed to be a rare substance - didn't Cas have to zap over to the Holy Land to retrieve it? But considering how much they've used since then, they probably buy it at Costco now, lol.

One thing I find weird is that AU Michael and OW Lucifer and Gabriel still referred to each other as 'brother'. So are we to assume that there is only one Chuck?

I think the only way it can hope to make sense is if there is also another Chuck for the AW, otherwise there'd be too many questions about why a single entity is so focused on the SPN universe while neglecting all the infinite others. Also, Death was shown to be out of her element in regards to alternate worlds, so I have to assume there's also a Death for each of the universes, and that crossing between them is the most disruptive and unnatural thing you can do. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, BabySpinach said:

I think the only way it can hope to make sense is if there is also another Chuck for the AW, otherwise there'd be too many questions about why a single entity is so focused on the SPN universe while neglecting all the infinite others. Also, Death was shown to be out of her element in regards to alternate worlds, so I have to assume there's also a Death for each of the universes, and that crossing between them is the most disruptive and unnatural thing you can do. 

That would make sense - it's just weird that Lucifer was so specific in saying 'my brother' when he first addressed Mean in the church. And it happened in the AW too. I'm sure it's just lazy writing, but if there are two (or infinite) Chucks, then they aren't any more brothers than... jeez, I wanted to type AW!Charlie or AW!Kevin or AW!Bobby would've been with their OW counterparts, but I realize none of them had siblings in our world. Huh.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, bearcatfan said:

No worries!  I enjoy the details. 

If it's standard Holy Oil, they could get a bishop to make a vat just for them once a year on Chrism Tuesday. I was thrown by the whole "had to go to Jerusalem" and it being 'very special and very rare". But truth is, they've been calling it Holy Oil for years. And keeping up the "travel to Jerusalem" was never practical. So, I'll go with local supply (as you've suggested) and maybe there's some additional rituals involved to make it toxic to angels.  

To be honest, it's kind of poetic - w/ demons it's Holy Water and angels it's Holy Oil -- as in oil and water don't mix.  Bwhahahaha.... okay, I'll show myself out....

Edited by SueB
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

If I remember correctly, when we were first introduced to Holy Oil, it was supposed to be a rare substance - didn't Cas have to zap over to the Holy Land to retrieve it? But considering how much they've used since then, they probably buy it at Costco now, lol.

That's how I remember it also but I have to agree it's probably available at Costco considering how often it's been used since Cas can't fly off to the holy Land anymore.

I've watched this episode almost 3 times now, I say almost because some parts had me mentally writing a grocery list and others had me LOL and not in a good way. 

Did I miss I time jump or something? It was really weird IMO that Sam was giving an orientation for AU world people via corkboard (LOL) in one scene and then like 5 minutes later Mary and NotBobby are taking a stroll through the wilderness(wtf) discussing how everyone is settled in the the new world. How much time passed between the scenes in order for Rowena and NotCharlie to roadtrip and the survivors/extras to establish residence? It sure seemed like almost none because Sam showed up directly after the phone call so he could participate in the lame hunt that only served to showcase Jack's powers and and have Dean talk about how awesome Jack was and maybe they could retire now. 

Wouldn't the orientation have been immediately following EVac and triage and before assimilation? 

• Love 2

Many have been discussing the poor editing that's been going on for a season or two. I've noticed such things as well. I suspect this "invisible time elapse" is one of the poor editing choices. Or since the writing sucks, it could be too. :(

• Love 4

mistake21.jpg

This is how I picture the set all week.

Cut! What is happening? What's happening?!

An atrocity is happening.

Seems like they should stop.

Did we get anything we can use?

Could be sort of experimental?

Whatever. Season 13.

• Love 11
(edited)

I've been away on vacation and only  just watched the episode and then read this thread.   

Did Christian Keyes have another gig or something?  Why didn't they use him more throughout the season?  He's got screen presence and charisma and was a pretty darn important character to the season.  But probably establishing WSwas the only thing on Andrew's tiny mind.  Still, on the other hand, I guess, it's best that we were never properly introduced to AU Michael because Jensen now has free rein to portray him.  It's already kind of cool that AU Michael has a thing for the 1920's look.  

It won't be Dean.  For the first time, Jensen won't be  Dean.  It's kind of exciting, isn't it? Maybe not so much for those that enjoy the brothers joined at the hip.  Jensen explains that AU Michael will be 'wondrous' - what a great word.  

I'm filled with anticipation, but then I remember ... we're stuck with Andrew and his gaggle of limited unimaginative writers.  And can you imagine what the Nep Duo will do with AU Michael?   But I'm not thinking about that - it'll spoil my summer.

The high wire act was  bad.  At one point MP was obviously just dangling. Why on earth did they leave that shot in?  Years ago Buffy and Angel series had many high wire fights and they read great on screen.  Things are getting too lackadaisical on set.  I've always felt the stunt work on Supernatural was quality.  Not this time.  And it wasn't even necessary.

Anyway, the awkward wire fight and clumsy blue eye glow won't spoil my anticipation.  I'm excited for AU Michael and what Jensen will do with this newfound freedom to flex his acting muscles and give us a new character after all these years.  Hope they let it run for at least a few episodes before they come up with some sort of spell to eject Michael

Edited by Pondlass1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Pondlass1 said:

Did Christian Keyes have another gig or something?

I think I did read somewhere that there were scheduling issues.  Unfortunately his character wasn't developed enough to be that terrifying but he sure could have been.  I guess Asmodeus was the stand in until CK was available.

• Love 1

Asmodeus was one of the biggest blunders of the season, IMO.  I get that what might look good on paper doesn't necessarily translate to the screen, but the character was completely lacking in charm, and the accent and white suit were just way too much.  Crowley could be, and frequently was, an evil son of a bitch, but he had charisma to spare.  I was never more relieved than when Gabriel torched Asmodeus.  

• Love 10

I've also been gone, and just watched the episode today for the first time.  In my honest opinion, I thought it was one of the worst executed finales they've ever done.  I really liked the basic concept of Jensen finally getting to play Michael and I hope it plays out well next season, but there was just so much stuff in this episode that left me shaking my head and asking 'why?', not to mention the terrible special effects and the cheesy music when Dean/Michael first revealed his wings.

This show, these actors, and all the fans deserve better than this.  I wish I thought next year would be better.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, MysteryGuest said:

I was never more relieved than when Gabriel torched Asmodeus.

That was the only Asmodeus scene that I enjoyed!

5 minutes ago, Wynne88 said:

I really liked the basic concept of Jensen finally getting to play Michael and I hope it plays out well next season, but there was just so much stuff in this episode that left me shaking my head and asking 'why?', not to mention the terrible special effects and the cheesy music when Dean/Michael first revealed his wings.

I agree. I liked the wing reveal because I thought that a badass fight scene would follow but...not so much. Though the effects when Lucifer was dying weren't too bad.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

I agree. I liked the wing reveal because I thought that a badass fight scene would follow but...not so much. Though the effects when Lucifer was dying weren't too bad.

It should have been epic - killing Lucifer sincerely dead after 8+ seasons should've been a landmark scene to be included in the series highlight reels, along with Azazel's death, Castiel's reveal, etc. The unfurling of the wings was a start, as was Dean kicking Lucifer across the room. And then... well it all went to hell, so to speak. So much so that I can only add it to my growing list of examples of Dabb being the worst thing to ever happen to Dean Winchester. So much so, in my opinion, that it feels personal. But even if I take my contempt for Dabb (and his for Dean) out of the picture, it's almost even more surprising that he'd let his pet character and actor go out with such a lame scene.

Of course it would be the ultimate coup de gras if Lucifer isn't dead and not only could Dean not even fake-kill him with a decisive ass-kicking, his sacrifice would be for nothing. Even Dabb wouldn't go that far. Would he?

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Even Dabb wouldn't go that far. Would he?

Yes, he would. I firmly believe that if Lucifer isn't really dead then it's because they want to write out a showdown between father and son.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

Yes, he would. I firmly believe that if Lucifer isn't really dead then it's because they want to write out a showdown between father and son.

Ugh, giving the character who's been around for one season the kill of the show's longest-running villain would both be typical and appalling.

• Love 4
(edited)
4 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

Ugh, giving the character who's been around for one season the kill of the show's longest-running villain would both be typical and appalling.

True. With all of the buildup between Lucifer searching for Jack, Jack's curiosity about his father and Lucifer draining him of his grace and deciding to kill him it will probably only add to Jack's levels of angst next season. 

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

True. With all of the buildup between Lucifer searching for Jack, Jack's curiosity about his father and Lucifer draining him of his grace and deciding to kill him it will probably only add to Jack's levels of angst next season. 

Now that Wayward isn't happening, they can team Jack up with all those angsty teens and give us the Riverdale we've always wanted.

• Love 2

I watched the episode again this afternoon, and I actually enjoyed it a bit more.  The air fight didn't even bother me as much as it did the first time, mainly because it really didn't last all that long.  I didn't notice this the first time around, but Dean's "we had a deal" was a direct quote of what Michael said to Lucifer after Jack had attacked him.  

Now that there's the possibility that Lucifer isn't really dead, the ending was ruined for me.  I was so happy watching for the first time, but if they're just going to bring him back again, then it was a total waste.

7 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

Now that there's the possibility that Lucifer isn't really dead, the ending was ruined for me.  I was so happy watching for the first time, but if they're just going to bring him back again, then it was a total waste.

Hopefully they will listen to fan reaction over the summer and move on from Lucifer.  I haven't seen many fans or critics that weren't very happy he was finally dead.

• Love 2
On 27/05/2018 at 3:52 PM, Pondlass1 said:

The high wire act was  bad.  At one point MP was obviously just dangling. Why on earth did they leave that shot in?  Years ago Buffy and Angel series had many high wire fights and they read great on screen.  Things are getting too lackadaisical on set.  I've always felt the stunt work on Supernatural was quality.  Not this time.  And it wasn't even necessary.

This is the first year I've felt like SPN reached French Mistake levels of crappiness. The episode made fun of long-running shows with clichéd writing and crap directing.

I don't know how anyone could okay the wired fighting sequence and the freeze frame (especially in a goddamn season finale), and still give a shit about the show's quality. It's just not possible.

The French Mistake was premonitory on many levels, since fake Singer was directing the episode, and real Singer directed this finale. Both Singers suck and both episodes feature a cheap freeze-frame.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

Tippi's review should be tweeted to Andrew.  It's so on the mark.

Especially this part at the end: " I’m not super optimistic about getting to see Michael-in-Dean for any length of time. They’ll probably save Dean in episode 3 or 4, and then depending on how dramatic it was, there might be a buffer episode where Dean says “I need to get back to work!” Then there’ll be a comedy/fun episode for the 5th. Prove me wrong, though, Show! I’d love it!"

• Love 8
On 5/29/2018 at 8:08 PM, DeeDee79 said:

Especially this part at the end: " I’m not super optimistic about getting to see Michael-in-Dean for any length of time. They’ll probably save Dean in episode 3 or 4, and then depending on how dramatic it was, there might be a buffer episode where Dean says “I need to get back to work!” Then there’ll be a comedy/fun episode for the 5th. Prove me wrong, though, Show! I’d love it!"

I'm not sure I want Dean to not be Dean for any longer than that.  If he's still Michael, then I don't see how he'll be interacting with the rest of the cast, and I don't see how that will work for a long-term situation.  I don't want less Jensen in the show, so it will be interesting to see how they make this work.  I'm not looking for a repeat of the aborted Demon Dean story, but this is entirely different, IMO.

• Love 1