Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E17: The Parent Trap

• Start Topic

After a 10-year-old boy is admitted to the hospital, Dr. Manning and Dr. Halstead disagree on how to best handle the boy's parents. Dr. Rhodes rushes to fix a heart that will be given to Dr. Reese's estranged father.

And in today's Toxic Parenting:

"OCD is not a tic disorder" shouts my daughter with the OCD diagnosis. True. It can be a comorbidity but it's something separate from OCD.

Where did the writers get the idea that I want to see Natalie and Will fighting every episode?

Poor Connor, they actually went there.  I HATE that poor Connor is trapped in that awful plot with Ava.

Nice to see Melanie Nicholls again.  She hit the right level with the daughter's despair.  And I loved her fighting for her father that he didn't do drugs.

Who let that dog inside the hospital doors?  But I thought the attachment disorder part was well done.

Why is every  woman under 40 on this show awful?  And why do they all get rewarded for it?  April interferes when her brother is the attending doctor, Choi's sister manipulates and lies and thinks she knows better than he does, Natalie is still is histrionic and petty ( you were on a break and and he only kissed someone else), and Ava is just so unpleasant.

Edited by statsgirl
autocorrect strikes again
  • Love 13

Maybe it's just me.....but Reese has that look in her eye that I expect to see before she goes postal & storms into Med armed to the back teeth...girls got some serious crazy eyes. I suspect she may also boil bunnies.

If they are trying to make Nat as unlikeable as Gabby over on fire, they are getting pretty damn close. They are both insufferable & irredeemable at this point. 

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 12
15 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Why is every  woman under 40 on this show awful?  And why do they all get rewarded for it?  April interferes when her brother is the attending doctor, Choi's sister manipulates and lies and thinks she knows better than he does, Natalie is still is histrionic and petty ( you were on a break and and he only guessed someone else), and Ava is just so unpleasant.

I came here to post about exactly this.  Why do they make the younger women such bitches?  Every last one of the women mentioned are pains in the asses.  However, I did notice last night that April's brother (can't remember his name) kind of stood up for himself.  I'm waiting for him to finally give her the verbal slapdown on a case.  If she thinks she knows more than he does about being a doctor, then why didn't she become one herself?  And don't get me started on Will and Natalie.  I never thought I'd say it, but she's becoming more of a pain than Ava.   Also, I was sorry that Choi apologized to his sister because even though things turned out as well as could be expected given the situation, she was out of line.   

As for the men, I'm not saying they need to behave like asshole cavemen, but they need to stand up for themselves and stop acting all butt hurt and responding like angry teenagers, especially Will.

Edited by Ohwell
typo
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Also, I was sorry that Choi apologized to his sister because even though things turned out as well as could be expected given the situation, she was out of line.   

Choi is all mouth no action. The sister is an irresponsible user and a big problem, waiting to happen.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I came here to post about exactly this.  Why do they make the younger women such bitches?  Every last one of the women mentioned are pains in the asses.  However, I did notice last night that April's brother (can't remember his name) kind of stood up for himself.  I'm waiting for him to finally give her the verbal slapdown on a case.  If she thinks she knows more than he does about being a doctor, then why didn't she become one herself?  And don't get me started on Will and Natalie.  I never thought I'd say it, but she's becoming more of a pain than Ava.   Also, I was sorry that Choi apologized to his sister because even though things turned out as well as could be expected given the situation, she was out of line.   

As for the men, I'm not saying they need to behave like asshole cavemen, but they need to stand up for themselves and stop acting all butt hurt and responding like angry teenagers, especially Will.

It seems to be a OneChicago thing at the moment......they seem to think bitchy women = strong 'badass' women. It just makes them unlikeable. If men behaved the way some of them do they'd be labelled 'assholes' but we are supposed to 'like' these characters just because they are female. Women can be 'assholes' too.

• Love 4

I've labored my entire life thinking that we have a big problem with a lack of donor organs.  Turns out, you can't turn around in Chicago without tripping over one.

THAT IS NOT HOW ACLS WORKS.  Even allowing a certain amount of dramatic license, you can't just bolus epi three times in a row without allowing for a pulse check.

• Love 4

Nice to see Will sticking up for himself (not that it lasted long). Natalie continues to be a pain.

No one is as big a pain as Ava though. I really hope she leaves at the end of the season.

Can Sarah ever smile? I feel like she needs someone in her life. April's brother is probably a good choice.

• Love 3

So this show is going down the tubs.  So is Chicago Fire.  Chicago PD is the only one I can stomach watching anymore, and that's not even completely true.

What's with all the homeless teen camp outreach?  I doubt that there are ER doctors in major cities who make this part of their voluntary weekly routine.  Can't stand Ethan's sister, she just needs to go disappear again.

Maybe the writers read these forums and realize how much we hate Nat.  At least she admitted she wasn't perfect this episode.

Would have liked to see Bekker actually hook up with the elder Rhodes.  That would have been a more interesting storyline.

Sigh...does this mean Reese's dad still lives?  We're going to have to put up with his stilted speech and Reese's tormented blank looks?  Egads.

• Love 3
On 4/26/2018 at 5:29 PM, Quark said:

Can Sarah ever smile? I feel like she needs someone in her life. April's brother is probably a good choice.

Nah.  He doesn't deserve that sourpuss.

• Love 4
On 4/28/2018 at 7:30 PM, greyhorse said:

So this show is going down the tubs.  So is Chicago Fire.  Chicago PD is the only one I can stomach watching anymore, and that's not even completely true.

Sigh...does this mean Reese's dad still lives?  We're going to have to put up with his stilted speech and Reese's tormented blank looks?  Egads.

I gave up on CPD a long time ago.  It just completely lost my interest.  I fast forward through most of CFD, except for Brett.  Only reason I started watching any of it was because of Shay, who has been deceased for years now.  I like medical dramas better though.  

I don't think we'll have to deal with Reese's dad much longer.  Surely something will come to a head by finale time.  

• Love 1

The problem with the Reese's dad plot (other than it involves Reese who the show has managed to turn me off of this season) is that there is no complexity or subtlety to it.  Reese  has issues; her father arrives and manipulates both Charles and Reese; Reese believes him and then she doesn't and then she wants him gone and then she tells Connor to save him.  That's it.

There's no self-awareness on Reese's part except for a moment when she thinks she may have a personality disorder too but Charles immediately tells her no (Dr. Charlies, I woudn't be so quick to dismiss  the idea based on her behaviour the last two seasons) and that's it.

For those who watched ER -- remember when Abby's mother came to visit and all the complexity of their issues came up?  The scene outside in pouring rain when her mother said "I was sick" and Abby replied "But you never tried to get better."  I still think of that with people who have mental health or family problems.  That's good writing.

• Love 6
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:06 AM, statsgirl said:

For those who watched ER -- remember when Abby's mother came to visit and all the complexity of their issues came up?  The scene outside in pouring rain when her mother said "I was sick" and Abby replied "But you never tried to get better."  I still think of that with people who have mental health or family problems.  That's good writing.

completely agree with this. A lot of ER forum people felt there was too much of Abby's mom but I thought there were some really well done parts--the part you cited and the part when she is waiting for the train and explains how when Abby was born she tried to will herself not to be sick anymore. Got to me.

I actually had an Ava moment that I liked. I did like that she just shut down Creepy Dad straight up. No waffling or a dragged out awkward mess. Yea for that.

I hope we keep seeing Noah become competent. Realistic or not, don't care; it's just nice.

The Choi's sister storyline is just awful.

• Love 2