Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Third Year

After waiting all year for this show to start, I must say I was disappointed in the ep.  It was difficult to hear some of the dialogue and, while chaos is what Code Black means, there was so much chaos that it was hard to keep track of the storyline.  

So, in addition to having almost the same Fentanyl plot line as this week's Chicago Med (which is excusable, but odd), let's see what crazy things happened this week.

First, there's a (I think) resident who spends the entire ep shooting a movie with old style video equipment  There are so many things wrong with this, it's hard to know where to start.  I can only believe that his video is going to be important going forward b/c the whole idea of it is so incredibly ludicrous . . .

Second, a doctor slugs a patient's relative and nothing happens.  Just an apology and everyone is good.  Seriously?  No WAY would he be allowed in the same room as the guy he slugged -- the hospital's lawyers would be all over that on.

Third, the patient who is allergic to Toradol has no wristband or other indication of allergy readily visible.  I had a relative with a med allergy who visited the ER and the allergy notification was plastered everywhere in big red letters -- wristband, front of chart, etc.  Not to mention, the patient was asked about allergies before every single med.  Not to mention that the filmmaker (er, resident) was not being supervised and should know he's not allowed to give meds w/o consulting his more senior resident

Fourth, patient possessions are always placed carefully in plastic bags, not just dumped someplace where they can cause trouble   Not blaming Pepper, but the system that doesn't first protect its own staff.

Fifth, Willis uses a rescue squad as an armed car, totally destroying it.  No one even seems to notice that this very expensive vehicle is now toast.  Even if what he did was perfectly justifiable, the paperwork would keep him busy for weeks.

Sixth, the patient who refused to get a head CT . . . you can't force patients to do things they don't want to do, unless you declare them incompetent.  The mistake was not in failing to force him to get the CT but in not getting him to sign that he was refusing it against medical advice.  

I'll stop here.  I like the acting of Lowe and Harden.  And I like getting out of the ER for a change, even if the plot was somewhat contrived.  AND, I recognize that all medical shows take liberties for the sake of telling compelling stories.  But this one had me shaking my head and hoping they turn this ship around or it's going to be a summer w/o CB.

• Love 15

Also, in a mass casualty event such as this one, they wouldn't send every single victim to the same hospital, especially if it's one that gets overwhelmed 300 times in a year.

And why on earth would any medical resident come to Angels Memorial? That place has like a 33% casualty rate by now.

Edited by Xantar
  • Love 3

Agreed that this ep was underwhelming after such a long wait.  I already cannot stand Dr. Umentary. they've given him zero redeeming qualities so far.   I'm also not seeing how Angus impressed Campbell enough to get offered a spot on his surgical team straightaway, especially after talking smack about him in the rest room--was his single moment suturing or whatever it was in the OR, that masterful that Campbell was instantly sold?  

• Love 4

Everyone that posted before me has expressed all my negative thoughts. There are no positives.

For a season opener, this episode was a piece of shit.

Back to the drawing board showrunners.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 6

Leanne and Jesse are the only two likeable characters on this show anymore.  There are so many characters it's impossible to keep track of them.  I have no words for the whole ambulance as a shield thing.  Guess the ambulance gal has a death wish after all.  It would be hard to learn how to be a doctor with a camera in your hand all the time.  Bleh!! What happened to the show I used to love?

• Love 7
On 4/26/2018 at 6:27 AM, dogdays2 said:

I can only believe that his video is going to be important going forward b/c the whole idea of it is so incredibly ludicrous . . .

Chekhov's video?

On 4/26/2018 at 1:15 PM, reallyjustjen said:

I already cannot stand Dr. Umentary.  

Love it! Why are you not writing this show?

• Love 1

I liked it. Maybe it does have the same over the top implausibleties as SWAT so maybe a shared fictional universe can be created. It would be more wacky fun than Chicago Fire/PD/Med/Justice 

• Love 1

Well if anyone else is watching SWAT you have to admit that shootout looked like one of their's with a lone cop fighting and no back up shows up, besides an Army doctor and paramedic without a partner from around the corner, until the SWAT team  arrives

I'm glad the shows back, but I'm not sure I'm excited for this season. 

Here are my thoughts/ gripes/ etc..

1. I don't know why they didn't just write Ethan out and give him his own Army Dr. show. Him being out in the field trying to be a hero doing stupid stuff every episode is going to get old really fast where I don't think it would have annoyed me as much if the setting was in the Army with a war going on.
  2. I feel like the writers have given Ethan more issues. He had authority issues last season and hit his superior, and I think it was hinted at the he had some issues with what he saw did in the military. But this episode it felt like Ethan now has major anger issues, a hero complex, wanting to die subconsciously, a dark secrete regarding his bother, and PTSD. 
  3. They are totally going to make the ETM Ethan's love interest. blah I liked him better with the physiologist.
  4. I liked the EMT when she was I don't want to work with you "I don't have a death wish", but then she ruined it when she was all oh Ethan's hugging that guy awww I have the feels I guess I don't care about dying if I can spend time with him... 
  5. I was totally pissed at Ethan & Leanne for blaming Cabey for the Cop not getting an head CT and then dying. First the cop refused treatment Cabey can't force a patient to get treatment, and second he can't supervise the stupid filmmaker at all times. It's not his fault stupid filmmaker administered drugs without consulting him first. When Ethan said I hope your stupidity doesn't kill the cop I thought he was referring to Dr. filmmaker.   
  6. Dr. Filmmaker I don't get it is he a Medical student or a Film student? If he was a film student and he got his daddy to pull strings so he could make a documentary that would be one thing, but he's a medical student who's supposed to be there learning and making a film? How in the world does anyone think this will work? Also if I woke up and some dude was filming me I would not be happy. Oh and him filming patients doesn't that violate peoples privacy?
  7. Ethan signing that film release forum is going to bite him in the butt.  
  8. Pepper getting sick was dumb. That fanny pack would have been in a plastic bag.
  9. Pepper with her lack of confidence is totally the new Angus.
  10. Cambell yelling at Angus in the OR because he wasn't doing as good as a real surgical resident was really helping the situation. not... In the whole hospital there wasn't another trained surgical Dr. that could have assisted? I was rolling my eyes over that.
  11. Cambell ambushing Angus in the bar wasn't cool. If you want to offer someone a job do it over the phone or when they are at work. Oh and if they ask for time to think the offer over giving them an ultimatum really isn't cool. 
  12. Ariel is back and not just back she works in the hospital. ugh I was totally hoping that she would disappear and we'd get a "Ariel was placed with a family" and we'd never have to hear about/ see her again. If I couldn't have that I was hoping that Ariel would be like all tv kids that we never see and only sometimes hear about.
  13. I'm not at all interested in watching a bratty teen. I can tell I'm going to want to smack Ariel every episode. 
  14. Do hospitals still have candy stripers? And if they do; do they still wear those outfits?
  15. It was nice to see Leanne happy, but I wish we weren't stuck with Ariel.
Edited by Fireball
  • Love 6
55 minutes ago, Fireball said:
  • Do hospitals still have candy stripers? And if they do; do they still wear those outfits?

My hospital has volunteers who wear uniforms, although I doubt you'd see those candy striper outfits outside of, ahem, adult entertainment.

What were Mario and Noa doing reading an actual Xray film in 2018?  I mean, if we say that Angels is an underfunded hospital that has to make do with outdated equipment, fine, but they had a computer to look at the CT scan on.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I am banking on Ethan being the addict not his brother. His brothers death is what “saved” him. 

That was my first thought as well that Ethan was the addict and his bother dying was his wake up call or he died trying to save Ethan from himself. Ethan being the addict means the writers can do the predictable Dr. gets addicted to pain meds story.  In this case it would be Ethan relapses, but still predictable. 

2 hours ago, starri said:

My hospital has volunteers who wear uniforms, although I doubt you'd see those candy striper outfits outside of, ahem, adult entertainment.

LMAO I googled Candy stripers to see if they were still a thing at hospitals and I got a lot of sexy candy stripers outfits results. lol I don't like Ariel, but in her defense if I was forced to wear an outfit like that I don't think I'd be chipper either.  

• Love 1
On 4/29/2018 at 9:06 AM, starri said:

What were Mario and Noa doing reading an actual Xray film in 2018?  I mean, if we say that Angels is an underfunded hospital that has to make do with outdated equipment, fine, but they had a computer to look at the CT scan on.

The hospital closest to me actually still uses those candy striper-type outfits.  My neighbor's daughter volunteers and I see her wearing it often.

On 4/29/2018 at 9:06 AM, starri said:

57 minutes ago, SoCal Mema said:

The hospital closest to me actually still uses those candy striper-type outfits.  My neighbor's daughter volunteers and I see her wearing it often.

We have a little hospital building near us that hasn't sen an actual patient in 50 years but from Marcus Welby M.D. going forward has often had TV and movie crews use it as a set. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Spicymustard said:

Somebody remind me again the story with Ariel? I remember she made an appearance last season. That’s about it. 

Ariel was in the the pilot.  She was in a wreck with her father (her mother was already deceased).  Her father was brain dead and she had to accept that he would be an organ donor.  She eventually bonded with Leanne in that episode.  Then she came back at the end of last season during the virus outbreak.  

• Love 1
On 7/15/2018 at 2:08 AM, lynnieb said:

Anyone remember what happened to Malaya? I just can't think if she left or died. And given the death rate of medical staff  @Angels, the latter wouldn't surprise me!

Lived, left.  Quietly written out...