Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Day 450

• Start Topic

Episode was hilarious to me. Inside that meeting room... Especially after everyone started playing roles... Still not sure what to make of Liz... Dianne is slowly going bonkers... Poor Maia... No way that tape doesn't end up somewhere... Colins mom is a hoot.   But is Lucca's brother her half brother or adopted because they did say she was biracial in this episode and.  Ain't no way her brother is... I mean I dunno if it'll come up again just wondering 

• Love 2

It just occurred to me the episode titles are the day count into the Trump administration, aren't they?  

Meh, I wish they weren't getting so deep into the topical political stuff. I feel like I'm getting enough of that IRL.

I doubt in such a scenario the DNC would've chosen a Chicago law firm. The opposition would immediately try to tie it to Obama.

Oh Maya. Sigh. Ya shouldn't been cheating...

• Love 2

this show just continues to impress me and provide so much enjoyment.  i care about the characters.  i love the dialogue and unexpected plot twists.  i laugh out loud at least a few times every episode.  and every time the end of an episode comes, i am so bummed and eager for the next one already.  

and i think i can now say it -- and i never thought i would -- that i actually enjoy this series more than its predecessor, the good wife.  it flows better, for lack of a more sophisticated way to say it.  and while i was never a juliana marguiles hater like some fans, i bet that her absence -- and it's hard to say whether this applies to the actress, the character of alicia florick, or both -- has helped make this show more enjoyable for me, and perhaps also for the folks who work on it.  whatever is going on behind the scenes, i'm digging the vibe of the show.  

• Like 1
  • Love 8

With Colin running for office, his interfering mother, and Colin and Lucca's relationship being rocky, they're just writing the old series for new characters. Michael Ian Black's character is a low rent version of Eli Gold. I didn't miss that part of the Good Wife on this show and I'm disappointed they're bring it back in.

1 hour ago, MSterling said:

With Colin running for office, his interfering mother, and Colin and Lucca's relationship being rocky, they're just writing the old series for new characters. Michael Ian Black's character is a low rent version of Eli Gold. I didn't miss that part of the Good Wife on this show and I'm disappointed they're bring it back in.

I hadn't even noticed that.. Even tho the situations have some similarities they also have some differences and the characters are all different from a personality standpoint.. And from how they interact with each other

• Love 4

"These are all tools supplied to prevent our country from turning into a Monarchy."

What is inherently wrong with Monarchy? Canada, Australia, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands are all Monarchies. Those countries seem to be stable, democratic and prosperous with good standard of living.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, veronicalodge44 said:

and i think i can now say it -- and i never thought i would -- that i actually enjoy this series more than its predecessor, the good wife.  it flows better, for lack of a more sophisticated way to say it. 

I get what you are saying and I think its because there are so many likeable characters and there is a good balance between the more serious senior partner business and the younger girls with Lucca going back and forth. TGW was always more focussed towards to top the associates stuff was mostly stiff (thanks to Alicia, I'd say).

19 hours ago, MSterling said:

I thought so too, but I am not mad - its a similar scenario with a much more likeable couple and Colin's mum is a hoot. If they ever get her and Elsbeth in one scence my TV will implode :-). I do hope though, that it ends well for Lucca and Colin, that it actually brings them back together because I already got my sea-legs on that ship. With all the trouble ahead for Diane and Kurt we could do with some romance.

I would have loved Eli back, he is - pun intended - gold.

Its nice to see Maia a bit more relaxed aswell - not keen on the cheating but her relationship was doomed the moment Amy was sworn in at the beginning of the season. To be frank, I find her work outfits so matronly that its quite refreshing to see her in a more youthful setting. (Lucca's print dress in this episode was great!)

• Love 3
14 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

"These are all tools supplied to prevent our country from turning into a Monarchy."

What is inherently wrong with Monarchy? Canada, Australia, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands are all Monarchies. Those countries seem to be stable, democratic and prosperous with good standard of living.

I think they meant an absolute monarchy where the country is ruled by one person (like a tyrant) - in most of the countries you mentioned the monarchy is constitutional and decisions are made in parliament

• Love 7

This was probably my least favourite episode of the season, although it was still enjoyable.

Diane slowly unravelling is fascinating to watch at the moment and it looks like this will be continuing next episode.

I'm worried about Marissa.

• Love 2
On 4/15/2018 at 5:05 PM, veronicalodge44 said:

and i think i can now say it -- and i never thought i would -- that i actually enjoy this series more than its predecessor, the good wife.  it flows better, for lack of a more sophisticated way to say it.  and while i was never a juliana marguiles hater like some fans, i bet that her absence -- and it's hard to say whether this applies to the actress, the character of alicia florick, or both -- has helped make this show more enjoyable for me, and perhaps also for the folks who work on it.  whatever is going on behind the scenes, i'm digging the vibe of the show.  

It's going really well right now but I'll be honest.  The actor who plays Maia gets on my nerves.  I swear I don't have this issue with most shows I enjoy.  But meh, it's normal in a big cast I'll not like everyone I guess.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

The monarchies you've listed are mostly symbolic, and don't make major decisions that greatly impact the lives of their "subjects." (And actually, many people do think there is a problem with even these types of monarchs as a substantial amount of tax money goes to them, depending on the country.)

But presumably, if a king or queen came to power in our country, it would be a very different situation. 

It's going really well right now but I'll be honest.  The actor who plays Maia gets on my nerves.  I swear I don't have this issue with most shows I enjoy.  But meh, it's normal in a big cast I'll not like everyone I guess.

Co-sign. Maia's just such a wimp. Plus, it always bugs me when straight actors are cast as lesbians and then read as hopelessly, totally straight.

Wouldn't mind seeing more of her mother, though. My love for Bernadette Peters is boundless.

Edited by Ladybyrd
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Ladybyrd said:

The monarchies you've listed are mostly symbolic, and don't make major decisions that greatly impact the lives of their "subjects." (And actually, many people do think there is a problem with even these types of monarchs as a substantial amount of tax money goes to them, depending on the country.)

But presumably, if a king or queen came to power in our country, it would be a very different situation. 

Co-sign. Maia's just such a wimp. Plus, it always bugs me when straight actors are cast as lesbians and then read as hopelessly, totally straight.

Wouldn't mind seeing more of her mother, though. My love for Bernadette Peters is boundless.

I would love to see more Bernadette Peters, too, even though I found Maia's story less interesting than all the other stuff that's going on. I know it's a big cast and there's so much to show but I think there's room to squeeze in some visits to her mother (especially after impactful testimony) without going back into the whole Rendell saga. Plus, since we saw sooo much of the saga, it is kinda weird to have it just wrapped up neatly with Maia hanging out with Marissa and not really touching on her feelings following the outcome of the ordeal. 

Wasn't sure what you meant about straight actors reading (coming across?) as straight when they're cast as a lesbian character. 

On 4/15/2018 at 10:36 PM, riprock said:

Are they already setting up Audra McDonald to leave the show?

I hope not. She's an intriguing character and Audra is great, though I wonder if she's only on the show for a limited time.  

I was disappointed that we didn't get to know anything about Barbara - just little peeks here and there that led to speculation. In one episode, we already knew more about Liz than about Barbara. I wonder why the actor who played Barabara decided to leave and if it was because she didn't have enough to do. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

I would love to see more Bernadette Peters, too, even though I found Maia's story less interesting than all the other stuff that's going on. I know it's a big cast and there's so much to show but I think there's room to squeeze in some visits to her mother (especially after impactful testimony) without going back into the whole Rendell saga. Plus, since we saw sooo much of the saga, it is kinda weird to have it just wrapped up neatly with Maia hanging out with Marissa and not really touching on her feelings following the outcome of the ordeal. 

Wasn't sure what you meant about straight actors reading (coming across?) as straight when they're cast as a lesbian character. 

A weird pet peeve of mine.

As a queer woman, I should probably be happy to have a main character in a gay relationship, but looking at Maia and Amy, it's honestly just not believable to me that those two women have ever had sex. I couldn't be less invested because I just don't buy Maia's attraction to women. 

(Not that straight actors can't ever play gay... there are a number I've found convincing in their roles, including Laura Prepon, Piper Perabo, and Jennifer Beals. And obviously many gay actors have played straight totally convincingly.) 

• Love 5
On 2018-04-15 at 5:05 PM, veronicalodge44 said:

this show just continues to impress me and provide so much enjoyment.  i care about the characters.  i love the dialogue and unexpected plot twists.  i laugh out loud at least a few times every episode.  and every time the end of an episode comes, i am so bummed and eager for the next one already.  

I very much enjoy this show too, and I attribute that with the The Good Fight giving more time to interesting characters played by solid actors. I began watching The Good Wife as big fans of Juliana and Chris, but by the show finale I couldn't stand either character and it rubbed off on the actors for me. 

On 2018-04-15 at 6:20 PM, MSterling said:

Ahh, I KNEW I recognized the campaign manager but didn't realize it was MIB! Yeah, I don't know why Luca would go along with anything they said, why should she? She doesn't owe Colin or his family anything. I think Andrea Martin is great as a scenery chewing potential MIL but I find Colin weak and not one tenth as interesting as Luca. I don't know if it's the actor or how Colin is written. In my opinion, they should have given her a more challenging/interesting/intense romantic foil. It's a very strong cast, and I think any of the other actors would have worked much better.

On 2018-04-16 at 1:35 PM, Aulty said:

I get what you are saying and I think its because there are so many likeable characters and there is a good balance between the more serious senior partner business and the younger girls with Lucca going back and forth. TGW was always more focussed towards to top the associates stuff was mostly stiff (thanks to Alicia, I'd say).

I thought so too, but I am not mad - its a similar scenario with a much more likeable couple and Colin's mum is a hoot. If they ever get her and Elsbeth in one scence my TV will implode :-). I do hope though, that it ends well for Lucca and Colin, that it actually brings them back together because I already got my sea-legs on that ship. With all the trouble ahead for Diane and Kurt we could do with some romance.

I would have loved Eli back, he is - pun intended - gold.

Its nice to see Maia a bit more relaxed aswell - not keen on the cheating but her relationship was doomed the moment Amy was sworn in at the beginning of the season. To be frank, I find her work outfits so matronly that its quite refreshing to see her in a more youthful setting. (Lucca's print dress in this episode was great!)

Colin and Luca would NEVER be as good as Diane and Kurt. (!) I suppose the reason that Diane is still resistant to getting back together is due to Kurt's cheating, but since she had her one night stand with Tully, that should make things more even. I would be fine of both of them agreed to hook up with other people since his job takes him away so much, but it would have to be with suitable partners - i.e. no one under the age of 35, no students or underlings, discreet, free of STD etc. Their relationship is made up of so many other things besides sexual activity, so I hate that this has become the centerpiece of one of the best adult relationships I've ever seen on TV. Christine and Gary seem to have an insane amount of chemistry together, not to mention the acting chops to pull this off. I know that Television drama requires that every relationship goes through separations and rocky stages but I would like this one to work, no matter how unconventional.

On 2018-04-16 at 7:09 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I feel exactly the same. I don't understand why Rose Leslie constantly grimaces and squints her eyes to denote innocence. (I think that's what those actions are meant to convey?) I've since seen her on Game of Thrones and she did a good job there, I didn't notice any strange tics an weird mannerisms. Her accent seems to come and go, and she has a raspy way of speaking that irritates me no end. I wish she wasn't considered the third female lead. I find Sarah Steele much more interesting. Melissa comes across as quirky and charming and very intelligent, without being annoying like Zooey Deschanel. 

On 2018-04-17 at 10:49 AM, love2lovebadtv said:

I hope not. She's an intriguing character and Audra is great, though I wonder if she's only on the show for a limited time.  

I was disappointed that we didn't get to know anything about Barbara - just little peeks here and there that led to speculation. In one episode, we already knew more about Liz than about Barbara. I wonder why the actor who played Barabara decided to leave and if it was because she didn't have enough to do. 

I really liked her too. She was an interesting villain - the kind that you often meet within an office. I wanted to learn more about her background. But the showrunners seem to think that she had limited potential in season two storylines. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/good-fight-season-2-cast-changes-1055988

Before seeing this episode, I'd accidentally read a review of it. I was very surprised to find that Melissa's boyfriend was the EMR she'd met during the lockdown. I assumed it would be the tech expert that flirted with her an episode or two ago. Doesn't an EMR have to have a clear criminal record and possibly a psych. evaluation? He also came across as very calm and lowkey during their initial meeting. I think they should have used someone else to trigger the Maia and Amy potential split. It just doesn't make sense. And I also think both of them would have wanted to get away, not just Amy. Lawyers are expected to have moral turpitude, so it would be reasonable to protect their professional reputation. Although this would have been a good time to give him her business card - if he gets in bar fights this easily, he probably needs a good lawyer.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, PreBabylonia said:

I feel exactly the same. I don't understand why Rose Leslie constantly grimaces and squints her eyes to denote innocence. (I think that's what those actions are meant to convey?) I've since seen her on Game of Thrones and she did a good job there, I didn't notice any strange tics an weird mannerisms. Her accent seems to come and go, and she has a raspy way of speaking that irritates me no end. I wish she wasn't considered the third female lead. I find Sarah Steele much more interesting. Melissa comes across as quirky and charming and very intelligent, without being annoying like Zooey Deschanel. 

Rose is very, very affected.  And she's so damn tiny - now that's just me being shallow.  I'm so distracted by her mini jaw.  She's so small.  LOL.  Sorry to the small people out there.  But it's mostly her barrage of affectations that get to me, like you describe here.  She's a lot to handle.  You're right, she takes a breath, and grimaces, and squints before like every sentence.  And balls her fists.

Delroy, Audra, and Diane are really compelling actors.  I admit it took me some time to warm me up to Audra, but I'm there now.  And of course Sarah Steele is very charismatic.  Cush as Lucca doesn't bother me whatsoever, and now that she finally has a meaty story I'm enjoying her more than before.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

This was just.. awful. How come no lawyer noticed the Democrat woman was in tears*? OK, she might just be allergic to furniture polish, but somebody say something!  And these hotshots took ages to them notice that she actually WANTED them to "think outside the (legal) box which I saw immediately. Did they all take stupid pills?

Anyway... there is no way the Dems would get enough votes to Impeach Trump. While it's possible they might win enough votes in the House to pass the Bill of Impeachment, there is no way they could win enough votes to pass it in the Senate. But aside from that,  Impeachment would be a terrible idea that would probably backfire on the Democratic party - Bill Clinton actually gained support because the process to impeach him was so blatantly partisan and not about any real "Grand Crimes and Misdemeanours". And even if you DID manage to get the process through both houses, by the time you'd done so, it would probably be 2020 anyway. Try winning an Election** instead of fixing it in the courts!

I care even less about Maia's emtional drama. Did like Lucca calmly declaring (to the baby's grandma!) that her kid was conceived in a restaurant bathroom. "But we locked the door - wouldn't want any impressionable kids to walk in!" And how could somebody who's autistic possibly become a political agent? Isn't it all about seeing how people are responding to your message and/or convincing donors it's worth supporting their candidacy?

* The Democrats might want to worry more about their agent being a Russian sleeper agent (Margo Martindale plays "Claudia", Elizabeth's controller in The Americans)
** And yes, I know Hillary got more votes than Donald in 2016, but as Julius also said, both parties knew the rules the election was held under

On 11/27/2018 at 10:21 AM, Hanahope said:

I loved the cartoon at the end of the show.  Reminded me of Saturday morning Scholastic Rock.

I found myself wishing the DNC actually had run that commercial. It might have worked.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2