Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Tech Evangelist

• Start Topic

Attempting to woo a gaming company to PiperNet, Richard inadvertently angers a prized ally. Dinesh deals with a betrayal. In preparation for a big launch, Gavin leaves his underlings with a cryptic message. Jared gets inside information from Big Head.

Was this episode written by someone at Breitbart? I know this show is a satire, but most storylines have felt somewhat true to the culture that they're skewering. This one didn't in the slightest. Or was that a satire of the things alt-righters have said about about tech culture?

At least Big Head now owns Erlich's 10% of Pied Piper. I hope that means some of his luck rubs off on PP and they finally experience a major success.

Oh, and I just realized that Gavin's signature on the Hooli Box looks like a penis.

• Love 6

I hated everything about this episode. It was so stupid in every way. The show is relying to much on the conceit that there is something about Silicon Valley culture that everyone knows but Richard and it is really getting played out.

• Love 6

Was Jian-Yang just being really sarcastic when he left Richard a note telling him that he loves him?

I don’t understand why they let the mole know that they were on to him. They could have fed him false information, etc., plus, there would be no chance of him getting word to Hooli that he was outed if they kept him in the dark.

• Love 4

What a complete waste of an episode. This show's version of Silicon Valley life continues its rapid departure from the real thing. I can now only look back on Season 1 with sad fondness.

It would have been hard to miss the K-Hole HQ scene where the CEO reacts with disgust at the news that Deedee is a Christian while the most gruesome and graphic video game images are prominently displayed on large monitors in the background. Must have been from "Undead Sex Offenders." Oh, such rank hypocrisy.

Sure, Silicon Valley is certainly more PC these days than just a few years ago, but people's religious beliefs (or lack thereof) are usually still nobody's concern unless you actively proselytize in the workplace. Of course, wearing a red "Make America Great Again" hat around the office will probably earn you a quick call from HR or your manager, but that would probably also occur at any Walmart store in the Bay Area. 

Next week we venture into the new world of AI. Even in the very short preview, it looks as broadly and poorly done as what has preceded it this season.

Edited by Should Be Working
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I don’t understand why they let the mole know that they were on to him. They could have fed him false information, etc., plus, there would be no chance of him getting word to Hooli that he was outed if they kept him in the dark.

The problem is, even if they carefully passed along tidbits of misinformation (which I can't imagine would actually be done competently), the guy would still hear and experience everything else that went on in the office - what the techs were discussing, what was discussed at meetings, etc. So a lot of actual information would probably still be passed along. This way, if anything gets to Gavin that's legitimate, the guy KNOWS he's in trouble.

Happy to finally see Big Head.

• Love 4

THANK YOU for getting rid of Jian-Yang - at least for the moment. Although I can't see how he could've gotten hold of the code - while stealing snacks seems a tad unlikely.

I would love to see more of big head, but I think we won't.

4 hours ago, Glory said:

Gilfoyle and the staple gun will never not be funny. 

He was easily the best part of the episode. Him and Laurie.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Aulty said:

THANK YOU for getting rid of Jian-Yang - at least for the moment. Although I can't see how he could've gotten hold of the code - while stealing snacks seems a tad unlikely.

Everything about the Jian-Yang storyline was annoying and not entertaining at all.

• Love 6

I couldn't stand to watch the bullshit notion that "the real persecuted minorities in California are conservatives and religious people" being validated even in a sarcastic way on this show. It's also really disappointing that Richard is about as comfortable with homosexuality as Jerry Seinfeld was on his show back in the 1990's.  I'm so glad that Jin-Yan's terror is oer, but I also feel lost as to WTF the 'new internet' is supposed to mean at this point, but I also don't care since by next season they will pivot to some other failing idea.   I can't believe this show is getting another season.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 4

The whole "don't admit you're a Christian" thing was much better done as a throw away line from Erlich in season 1. Yes, there is a thing in the Bay Area where people don't talk about their religious beliefs (in general but especially Christianity) in the workplace. Coming of age in that environment I saw that as the norm. Yeah, you shouldn't talk about your religious beliefs at work. You shouldn't use the company printer to print out your sacred text verses or try to proselytize to or convert your co-workers.  Isn't that a best practice?

• Love 2

I don't really understand how the gay-dating, Christian developer was able to make a deal with Jian Yang. Yes, if Jian Yang goes back to China with the code and develops it there, PP and US law would have a tough time enforcing the patent. But I would imagine that a U.S. developer would run into serious legal issues if he signed a deal with a Chinese company that had knowingly stolen a U.S. patent. I mean, wasn't the patent a huge deal last season?

• Love 1

That was not a good episode.  And I actually liked the previous episodes this season.  I had really hoped that Gavin's "the bear is sticky with honey" was referring to a real bear that needed cleaning.  

2 minutes ago, Matt K said:

I had really hoped that Gavin's "the bear is sticky with honey" was referring to a real bear that needed cleaning.  

I actually thought the "bear is sticky with honey" gag with the underlings was funny. This show works better when it balances Pied Piper with idiotic, "Office Space"-style shenanigans at Hooli. I'm also wondering when someone (Gavin?) will notice the shape of the signature, and if that's why it won the Hooli poll.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

I actually thought the "bear is sticky with honey" gag with the underlings was funny. This show works better when it balances Pied Piper with idiotic, "Office Space"-style shenanigans at Hooli. I'm also wondering when someone (Gavin?) will notice the shape of the signature, and if that's why it won the Hooli poll.

I did like where the show went with the "bear is sticky with honey" and at least the Hooli employees has a similar idea.

As for the signature, I have to imagine that everyone has already realized it looks like a penis.  They're just too afraid to tell Gavin.

I don’t know why this tickled me so, but Jared very seriously telling Jian Yang that the other guy urinated in the car made me laugh so hard.

Also “why do all the homes I love get stripped?” or whatever he said there.

PLEASE let this be the end of Jian Yang.

• Love 1