Type keyword(s) to search

The People's Court - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Today we had 2 cases both of which had such loving couples that the romance of it all had me teary eyed. LOL The first couple were divorced and she wanted him to pay for a car. The second was a couple of roommates with the girlfriend of the plaintiff "mooching" until she got a job. She got a job but still mooched and the defendent refused to pay rent and moved. Physical violence was also involved in this case. The third case was of a couple who bought a house, the seller repaired the chimney but it wasn't repaired properly so the plaintiffs wanted compensation. Not a good day for any of the plaintiffs.

• Love 1

Those sisters with the Shih Tzu who lost some of its tail to a Pit Bull gave me some 'Grey Gardens' realness, with their outfits and hair.  The sister in the blue dress had a fierce eye shadow game going on!

I'm always behind on PC but this was so awesome that I had to resurrect it. Although I was thinking more like Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. 

The defendant, with her crack/meth jaw, bralessness, and overall sketchiness was a complete mess. She sniffed out Cholly's desperation from the get-go, and she knew what buttons to push. Then, we had the friend (with a face from the funny papers) in an inappropriate sundress, telling about "trowing rahcks."

But her hair looked awesome!!! LOL. What is with these desperate old dudes? Perhaps he had eye surgery although if you got up close you couldn't see the imaginary cud she was chewing. 

• Love 1

Oh no, today was a rerun of the two scam artists from Haiti....the man who repeatedly said he was married to the sister of his sister. I say that they're scam artists because that's the vibe they gave off to me -- JMM didn't accuse them of any hustling, though. The man put on a loud, quivery-voiced dramatic performance....and not a tear was shed. And the wife was dead-set on blaming him for everything in life, and she took zero responsibility for anything. I was ready to hear her blame him  for her bad hairdo and blue shirt.

And then the vocal fry on the defendant in the second case made me want to throw my tv across the room.

Good Lord, I hate Harvey, and I especially HATE the morons at the other end of his microphone.

• Love 1

Oh no, today was a rerun of the two scam artists from Haiti....the man who repeatedly said he was married to the sister of his sister.

Do they have to show reruns we saw so recently? Usually I watch them, but this? Listening to 50 repetitions of "Henry" I just could not do. I agree they were scamming. I can't believe JM let them go on and on and on for so long. They made me sick. I hope she gave Levin shit for inflicting this on her.

I was ready to hear her blame him  for her bad hairdo and blue shirt.

Did he pick out that wig? The sound effects from her (hissing like a snake, huffing and puffing, etc.) were beyond annoying and she couldn't control herself to the point where she had to sit and stay.

Good Lord, I hate Harvey

Maybe we can have tee-shirts made up? I'm sure they'd sell out. Before the third case started, JM and Douglas were saying something, but as usual we couldn't hear it because Levin had to keep spewing his verbal diahrrea, ending with, "It's the case of the Chimney Chumps!"  Wow. I'm dazzled by your brilliance, Levin.

Those ridiculous girls renting an apartment - the plaintiff was all sweet and demure here, but I'm pretty sure it's not the first time she's physically attacked someone even though she knows "it was wrong."

• Love 1

Do they have to show reruns we saw so recently? Usually I watch them, but this?

Maybe we can have tee-shirts made up? I'm sure they'd sell out. Before the third case started, JM and Douglas were saying something, but as usual we couldn't hear it because Levin had to keep spewing his verbal diahrrea, ending with, "It's the case of the Chimney Chumps!"  Wow. I'm dazzled by your brilliance, Levin.

I don't see the reruns because I don't have my DVR set to record them, but dang it, we just had reruns not long ago.

I suppose there's a reason Curt introduces the case, we go to commercial, Levin re-introduces the case, and then MM summarizes why she thinks the litigants are there, but I don't know what that is.  One of these days I'm going to clock the actual court time, as opposed to fillers and commercials. 

• Love 1

One of these days I'm going to clock the actual court time, as opposed to fillers and commercials.

I've sort of/kind of done it and I believe it was a bit less than 35 minutes. If this were any judge other than MM, I would never watch this. That dirtbag, Levin, and the Hall Ass Clown certainly do their best to drag this once respectable program down to trash-TV level. 

• Love 2

I am usually several episodes behind on PC each week - I find I can get through the cases in about 35 minutes (I fast forward to just the part where Judge Marilyn talks - it's like a game so I get only the evidence presented to her and I try and figure out the guilt in the case while she's doing it). I very rarely listen to the hallterviews unless the case is a doozy and I NEVER listen to Levin. 

• Love 1

More reruns today. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Why can't Levin and Curt take a hike and let Douglas speak? I realize Levin is the executive producer but wouldn't he get bored asking stupid questions to stupid outside audience members. I guess he thinks he is so good looking and important that we all want to watch him!

• Love 2

He could only take $450 a day because that's the limit for ATMs. Maybe the bank branches were closed by the time he got out of work, so he had to do everything by ATM. 

Also, some banks charge for the privilege of going to a teller.  (so they do not have to have as many tellers on their payrolls)

Apparently, they go without life's little luxuries like dentists and books.

And beds. And glasses. I remember a case where the defendant's child broke the plaintiff's child's glasses and he had to do without them while Mom was waiting for the case to be heard. She couldn't find a way to buy him another pair. *shrug*

• Love 2

And beds. And glasses. I remember a case where the defendant's child broke the plaintiff's child's glasses and he had to do without them while Mom was waiting for the case to be heard. She couldn't find a way to buy him another pair. *shrug*

I remember a case like this from Judge Judy. In the JJ case, the particularly astounding facet was that the mom was an art teacher. I was flabbergasted that a teacher would wait a year to get her kid a needed pair of glasses.

• Love 2

Speaking of stealing, someone who knows more about the court show processes please tell me, since I've read that the producers pay the entire judgment regardless of which way it goes, what is to stop some ambitious thieves from faking up a court case so they could get a judgment and split the proceeds?

It does sometimes; but after all these decades, the case selectors have gotten good at sniffing out the frauds like this. After all, to pull it off, you need to set up the case, get it into the court system, and hope it is interesting enough to catch the attention of the Show sniffers. Then it needs to pass the initial scrutiny and finally end up on the show.

Sometimes it's happened on JJ and she's figured out the case isn't kosher, so she'll punt it out with no award; in that case the only thing the scammers got was the trip to LA (or whereever the show is filmed). 

• Love 3

It does sometimes; but after all these decades, the case selectors have gotten good at sniffing out the frauds like this. After all, to pull it off, you need to set up the case, get it into the court system, and hope it is interesting enough to catch the attention of the Show sniffers. Then it needs to pass the initial scrutiny and finally end up on the show.

Sometimes it's happened on JJ and she's figured out the case isn't kosher, so she'll punt it out with no award; in that case the only thing the scammers got was the trip to LA (or whereever the show is filmed). 

I remember an episode that aired last year where she asked the plaintiff and the decedents where they had dinner, did they enjoy it, etc.  It was pretty funny.

• Love 3

I'm sorry, but I do not understand the trend of purposely having dark roots. Maybe I'm just being an old fart, but I also find that "color at the ends" thing to be tacky and unattractive. It's as if someone was using a Pas Easter Egg kit and their hair accidentally ended up in one of the cups. The plaintiff in the first case had an ugly plan in mind and then did a heinous home dye job. Well, it looked like the hairdresser did a decent correction. At least from the photos, it looked like she had caramel color after the first day of correction. I thought it was ridiculous that the plaintiff didn't get the other half of the corrective treatment yet she filed a lawsuit.

• Love 5

Finally, if you need three months to study to get into Law School, you are looking at the wrong profession. After Law School, everyone takes a bar review course to prepare for the state bar exam. I can't imagine what the guy would even study for three months for the LSAT.

I took three months, but I work full time and was shooting for a relatively high score. But I can't imagine signing over my car during that period. Being able to drive and not having to waste time waiting for the bus was hugely helpful.

That loan sharking case...I was kind of surprised that the plaintiff even brought that suit. How could he not know that was loan sharking? $4000 loan, $400 a month in late fees, but that's not loan sharking. I was a little curious about the late fees vs. interest thing. Whenever I've seen a traditional loan, it's late fees if you are late on a scheduled payment whereas interest is what is charged eeach month so that the lender can make a profit and because money is generally worth more today than it is tomorrow.

Edited by BabyVegas
  • Love 1

I took three months, but I work full time and was shooting for a relatively high score. But I can't imagine signing over my car during that period. Being able to drive and not having to waste time waiting for the bus was hugely helpful.

I think the plaintiff took off work for three months in order to study. If he didn't, I misunderstood.

Did anyone notice a woman in the audience who looked like a low rent version of Nina Garcia from Project Runway? Perhaps low rent is mean; she looked like Nina Garcia would look like without plastic surgery or expensive maintainence. She was wearing a leopard print and sitting behind the plaintiff in the second case.

Most of the first case was preempted today for a terrorism press conference. All the funnier when they broke back in to the conclusion and suddenly flashed on the putative hairdresser and her grey curly mop. Calling Joy Mangano. Was that a weave or a dye job? What was the service that plaintiff wanted to have?

• Love 1

That hair dresser would be my last choice for working on my hair.

Maybe it is just me but whenever fierce, fashion forward hair artists, make up artists, couture dress designers, etc. show up on these shows they look like complete pathetic dweebs.

• Love 3

Today the party planner collected the money from the client but didn't give it to the DJ. Then she sues for the maximum $5,000 because of loss of business. She looked like a real bitch and I wouldn't hire her. I don't think JM likes when a litigant sues for the maximum just because they can. Next up is the man driving his Cadillac tailgating the young driver. No receipt for fixing his car. Not believable at all. The third was a plaintiff who clearly knows how to work the system. The marshalls had to serve him with eviction and take out his stuff. Then he has the audacity to sue for thousands for his things. As usual in these cases they always have valuable belongings but no proof of owning any of it.

• Love 1

She looked like a real bitch and I wouldn't hire her.

Agree. "I didn't say his work was worth NOTHING, even though I paid him NOTHING."

man driving his Cadillac tailgating the young driver. No receipt for fixing his car.

Oh, but he had a receipt! He just didn't (all together now) have it with him TODAY. He would probably - no, for sure! -  have it some other day...

• Love 1

The first case should be a lesson for all. When you have an emergency and call a plumber be prepared to pay a lot of money. The second case was a family of three scammers who borrowed money from the plaintiff but are waiting on a "settlement" from a house. They recently moved and I can't help thinking there is a scam going on there too. The daughter who got in trouble and the reason they needed the money dressed for court as if she was walking the street (you know what I mean! lol). They also took a bible from the plaintiff then decided it's the plaintiff who owed them money. The next case was a kid driving with a permit alone which is not allowed and damaged the plaintiff's car. Of course he thought it was a joke but eventually knows he "did wrong."

• Love 2

The plumber in that case was a slick character. His attitude grossed me out.

And what was up with the bible case??  Was the defendants' grandchild kidnapped or something?  ""Uh..., we took the money we owed her, and uhhhh, wellll, our daughter needed it because of a uuuhhh, situation where,  ummmmm, she needed to pay to get her child back." Sorry, what was that? And JMM didn't even ask questions about that. And the daughter was dressed very exotically for court.

I was so close to being homicidal when Harvey, for the millionth time, asked one of the street trolls, "Do you know who you look like?" Then, my rage increased with the litigant who repeatedly said, "Myself and my mom....."

• Love 2

I hope he comes to our hospital one night in need of emergency care.  I don't want to hear a peep out of him when we charge about eight times the going rate because he has no other options.  Free market, indeed.

Years ago I had to call the company that delivered my heating oil because of a problem with the furnace.  The guy showed up in the evening, and spent half the time sitting in his truck and the other half of the time vacuuming the floor around my furnace.  Then I get this huge charge for emergency services and tacked on emergency hours.  They didn't understand why I never used them again.

• Love 3

. When you have an emergency and call a plumber be prepared to pay a lot of money.

I don't know about anywhere else, but around here if you can EVER get a plumber to come to your home, you pay him whatever he wants. I spent nearly all day trying to just get in touch with one recently when I had a broken pipe. No luck at all.

a uuuhhh, situation where,  ummmmm, she needed to pay to get her child back." Sorry, what was that? And JMM didn't even ask questions about that. And the daughter was dressed very exotically for court.

This case was infuriating. Plaintiff, who is not a kid, had no problem taking out a HOME EQUITY loan to give five thousand dollars to someone she met on the job. We had to hear the old, stupid cry of, "I TRUSTED HER/HIM/THEM!"  Give me a break!! I had a hard enough time using my own home equity LOC to get a new roof. Never, ever would I use it to dish over money to anyone. Well, maybe to a friend I"ve had since 5th grade, or my brother,  but no one else.

Defendants? Daughter, in legal trouble, looked as though she just stopped in from her job at the Bunny Ranch. Mom appears to be a con artist and dad(?) is illiterate: "We wuz movin' at that pacific time."

Car accident: I really don't know why people seem to find it funny when someone is driving without a license and then lies about the accident they had. I don't find it amusing at all. Plaintiff should have let the cops take defendant to jail to teach him a lesson. Far from being grateful that she didn't, both mom and son tried to stiff the plaintiff for her damages.

• Love 2

And what was up with the bible case??  Was the defendants' grandchild kidnapped or something?  ""Uh..., we took the money we owed her, and uhhhh, wellll, our daughter needed it because of a uuuhhh, situation where,  ummmmm, she needed to pay to get her child back." Sorry, what was that? And JMM didn't even ask questions about that. And the daughter was dressed very exotically for court.

I was so close to being homicidal when Harvey, for the millionth time, asked one of the street trolls, "Do you know who you look like?" Then, my rage increased with the litigant who repeatedly said, "Myself and my mom....."

Yes, that plumber was gross. I'm so glad I have a regular plumber who's an honest guy. He came one year on Thanksgiving to fix a broken garbage disposal (I was willing to wait, but he said he'd come right away.) He only charged me $50. I insisted it should be more, but he wouldn't hear of it; he would't even let me tip him!

Then we had two cases with scammers. I don't for a second believe the mother didn't know her son was going to drive. I looked him up, and he appears to be a pretty talented quarterback. But he was a knucklehead, and his mother is enabling him to be one.

Yhe jackasses who borrowed all that money from a coworker and then took her bible really ticked me off. They're not going to look for that bible. And they're certainly not reading it! Was their defense really that they didn't know she'd done a HELOC? Incidentally, who the hell takes out a HELOC to loan to someone else? Good grief!

• Love 3

Incidentally, who the hell takes out a HELOC to loan to someone else?

That was my first reaction, but then I remembered litigants who have taken out large cash advances from credit cards @24% interest to give to deadbeats. What are they thinking? "Oh, this person can't get a credit card, a loan or buy a car in their own name which means they don't pay their debts. But I'm sure they'll pay ME back. I trust them."

I'm so glad I have a regular plumber who's an honest guy.

I'm moving to wherever you are!

• Love 3

Today the tow company lost their case. Hurray! She went to eat at Olive Garden and five minutes after the receipt recorded that she left she was towed. A classic case of the tow truck pouncing on a car for a payday. Next case was a misdiagnosis of a dog by the vet's office. Last case was a plaintiff trying to get back his money because his motorcycle wasn't fixed and he had to take it to the Harley dealership.

• Love 2

Your tolerance for stupidity is way too low for you to live in the intellectual vacuum that is Arizona!

But! A place where you can call a plumber and have him not only answer the phone but *gulp* actually come to your home? That's worth a lot.

• Love 2

But! A place where you can call a plumber and have him not only answer the phone but *gulp* actually come to your home? That's worth a lot.

When I see a towing case, like today's, I completely appreciate living in a place with ample parking. I can't imagine why anyone thinks it's a good idea to charge more for returning a car before it gets to the tow lot! If they'd told the plaintiff it would be more, I douby she would have agreed to it.

Also, it was nice to see a towee finally win a towing case. MM was so excited about that!

• Love 1

When I see a towing case, like today's, I completely appreciate living in a place with ample parking. I can't imagine why anyone thinks it's a good idea to charge more for returning a car before it gets to the tow lot! If they'd told the plaintiff it would be more, I douby she would have agreed to it.

Also, it was nice to see a towee finally win a towing case. MM was so excited about that!

I think the answer to the question is, because they can.  Just like the plumber who charged ridiculous prices because he knew he could. 

MM's gotten excited lately about a few cases.  Probably because so many of them are so predictable, she must be bored out of her mind, so she gets worked up when something goes against the norm.

• Love 1

The first case had the defendent offering to let the plaintiff sleep on her apartment sofa but expected $100 a night for the privilege. She also had borrowed money from the plaintiff who had to go to rehab after she needed a place to stay. The defendent had a nasty attitude and her so called "fiance" who couldn't show up for court was her witness. In the hall with Curt she hid her left hand. No ring, no fiance and she was full of crap. Another tow case today. This time the car's transmission was supposedly damaged. He was illegally parked. The last case of the poor little rich girl with very expensive leather jacket and backpack had spilled soy sauce damage (I kid you not!). It was an accident but she wanted more money because the cleaner didn't do a good job. The plaintiff paid the cleaner. JM said sue the cleaners.

Asshole Levin did another "who do you look like?"  I only caught it because I wasn't paying attention and didn't FF fast enough to miss it.  And then he wouldn't say who, because nobody had a clue WTF he meant.  Nor did I.  It'll piss me off if I find out there are details of the actual cases that would make the cases more understandable that end up on the cutting room floor because we have to make space for Levin and the hallterviews.

I would have gladly believed that the first defendant got beat up by the alcoholic plaintiff who then blacked out the memory, but she was such a lame witness I couldn't even get on board with it.

Edited by cattykit
  • Love 1

her so called "fiance" who couldn't show up for court was her witness.

I was so disappointed. I wanted to see the "fiance". Good time to get married when you have to live with parents/stepparents. I don't know if the plaintiff attacked her. It's possible, since some people get really mean when they have a snootful but the def. was such an unlikable little mope I don't care. $100/night to sleep on a sofa? Whatever.

"I parked in a firelane and had no parking sticker, but how dare you tow me? I was going to CHURCH!!" How old was this car anyway? On this show, cars that are being fought over are seldom less than 15 years old.

2K for some old stuff that got soy sauce on them? Right. That will fly. I'm starting to feel this show needs a Universal Translator, a la Star Trek.

Asshole Levin did another "who do you look like?"

Not only do I have to mute and FF, but I have to turn away so I won't see that ugly mug stuck in the camera. This causes problem, since I often overshoot and have to backtrack, but it's worth it not to hear any of the stupidities that come out of that slimeball.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2

And Levin and his street trolls were a huge clusterf!#* of stupidity today. With him and his usual "do you know who you look like" and the dolts in the crowd repeating "my mom." See, if the people had said it to him with a sneer, that might have been entertaining. But they said it without any attitude.

• Love 1

See, if the people had said it to him with a sneer, that might have been entertaining. But they said it without any attitude

Do you expect witty repartee from people with nothing better to do than stand outside, clustering around someone like Levin (of all people), dying for the chance to get his microphone shoved in their faces and be on TEEVEE?

Once I had to stop the FF because he leaned forward and whispered something in some goofy-looking boy's ear. That sent shudders of disbelief and horror shooting through my entire body.

• Love 2
Y

I laughed at my husband when he joined a fraternal organization.  HOWEVER,  he's in contact with plumbers, electricians and contractors and whenever we had an emergency they came promptly, sober and at a rate that doesn't cause heart failure.

FYI--it's all repeats this week.

Edited by One More Time

Before coming here I didn't realize reruns this week. Today's show about the tenants fighting over which garbage receptacle to use among other things. I hated this case the first time around and promptly turned it off.

This site is running slow for me this morning. First time that's happened.

Edited by rcc

Today's show about the tenants fighting over which garbage receptacle to use among other things.

Those people were all, without exception, so low class, trashy, and disgusting I had to watch again to see if maybe I was being too judgemental the first time I saw it. Nope. I wasn't. The baby oil to keep the lice away? I just can't even...

I too couldn't believe JM let the def. ramble on for eternity with hearsay, repeating all the gossip from - of all places - Chucky Cheese. How appropriate.

• Love 2

Those people were all, without exception, so low class, trashy, and disgusting I had to watch again to see if maybe I was being too judgemental the first time I saw it. Nope. I wasn't. The baby oil to keep the lice away? I just can't even...

I too couldn't believe JM let the def. ramble on for eternity with hearsay, repeating all the gossip from - of all places - Chucky Cheese. How appropriate.

I don't know why I subjected myself to watching this case again since I suffered through it the first time around. I also don't know why neighbors have to be so involved in each others' lives. I guess they enjoy the drama, like junior high school girls. They have nine kids between them and can't find anything else to do?

My neighbors say hello when I'm walking my dog or getting my mail, and that's the extent of our relationship. My dog knows them better than I do since everyone wants to pet him. It's exactly the way I want it.

One of my neighbors decided the whole neighborhood wanted to hear his music while he was washing his car on a Saturday morning. I went outside and politely asked him to turn it down. (I worked hard to own a house in a nice area, and we don't do that shit here.) He was cool about it, apologized to me, and hasn't done it again. We are still friendly to each other. It's amazing how we managed to solve the problem without a call to the police or CPS on each other!

• Love 7

It's amazing how we managed to solve the problem without a call to the police or CPS on each other!

You mean you didn't bust out his windshield, put his name and number on peverted dating sites, creep out and key his car in the middle of the night, egg his house or demand he come out and fight you? Well, aren't you just lah-di-dah!

As to why we subjected ourselves to this sordid garbage again? It's such a trainwreck you just have to watch it.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 3

You mean you didn't bust out his windshield, put his name and number on peverted dating sites, creep out and key his car in the middle of the night, egg his house or demand he come out and fight you? Well, aren't you just lah-di-dah!

As to why we subjected ourselves to this sordid garbage again? It's such a trainwreck you just have to watch it.

Sad, but true. I guess it makes us feel better about our circumstances.
  • Love 3

I feel that way about these court shows too. We all have our problems but some of these litigants are just so nasty and ignorant it goes to show that our problems aren't so bad.

Or at least we have the strength of character to take care of business as decent human beings.

• Love 4