Type keyword(s) to search

S.14, E.11. Knockouts Pt 1

• Start Topic

The save is weird. At least Adam's first attempt backfired so spectacularly. He really should have chosen the artist everyone else wanted and then "saved" Mia. I'm not sure why he didn't but I think he realized it was a mistake. He looked really irritated. Alicia pushing not to be left out was funny. She ended up with a great artist by accident.

• Love 11
(edited)

The save/steal machinations are definitely interesting. We are only losing a grand total of 8 out of the 32 contestants in this round. And we lost two back to back at the beginning of the show!

I'm a tiny bit sad that Jaclyn got the boot....but Put Your Records On was just not the song to sing when Kyla was off doing her volume cranked to 11 caterwauling. Not really upset that Justin and Miya are out though.

Highlight of the night was Spensha's performance. She's rapidly climbing my list of favorites....

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 4
(edited)

How did the Buble guy stay?  I kept hearing Simon Cowell, "Cruise ship".   I like that a younger person chooses that style of music, but it's kind of comical when they seem to be trying to imitate someone (including the talking to the crowd mid-lyrics) without having the talent of a Sinatra, Martin or Darin. Or even Perry Como (or even -James- Darren).  I was hoping he'd be good vocally (he wasn't) AND put his own styling to it (he didn't). Like Blake said, he excels at the "confidence" part of his performance. Oh well., something different, moving forward. I have a feeling Blake's really not trying to win this time around anyway.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 10
(edited)

Yep. That's my issue with Austin too. He's good at what he does, but what he does is a slightly more aggressive....90% copy job of Michael Buble. His voice is too similar to Buble's in terms of range & tone. Cruise ship headliner or Corporate gig guy feels like about the best he can hope for.

Blake is always trying to win this show, even when he isn't lol. And with Spensha/Pryor I feel like he's got two pretty good chances to make the finale. If he makes the finale with an artist, he's in with a pretty good shot if past seasons tell us anything...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I'm a tiny bit sad that Jaclyn got the boot....but Put Your Records On was just not the song to sing when Kyla was off doing her volume cranked to 11 caterwauling.

Everyone goes nuts for yelling over nuanced & those types never go anywhere.  I really preferred Jaclyn to Kyla - seen that performance a thousand times.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Padma said:

How did the Buble guy stay?  I kept hearing Simon Cowell, "Cruise ship".   I like that a younger person chooses that style of music, but it's kind of comical when they seem to be trying to imitate someone (including the talking to the crowd mid-lyrics) without having the talent of a Sinatra, Martin or Darin. Or even Perry Como (or even -James- Darren).  I was hoping he'd be good vocally (he wasn't) AND put his own styling to it (he didn't). Like Blake said, he excels at the "confidence" part of his performance. Oh well., something different, moving forward. I have a feeling Blake's really not trying to win this time around anyway.

For me it's just John Stevens all over again. Young guy singing Gampy's music. (American Idol, 2004)

• Love 1

Something I'm curious about is the degree of freedom artists get when they're choosing their own songs for the knockouts. Are they handed a list of songs already covered in the season and then given free reign? Do they flip a coin if two contestants want the same song? Do producers make suggestions if an artist is drawing a blank? I ask all this because I wonder how someone who describes herself as 'if Lauryn Hill and Rihanna had a baby and the baby went to church' could have possibly chosen a folk-pop Ed Sheeran song by her own volition.

I like the save button MUCH better than the block from the auditions. And I love that it didn't even work the first time around bc Alicia decided she'd try to steal for funsies.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

The save is weird. At least Adam's first attempt backfired so spectacularly. He really should have chosen the artist everyone else wanted and then "saved" Mia. I'm not sure why he didn't but I think he realized it was a mistake. He looked really irritated. Alicia pushing not to be left out was funny. She ended up with a great artist by accident.

Alicia didn't even want the artist she stole and wasted a steal.  She is so irritating.  She gives the same breathy feedback to every singer.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

'm a tiny bit sad that Jaclyn got the boot....but Put Your Records On was just not the song to sing when Kyla was off doing her volume cranked to 11 caterwauling.

Her tone was really special. But the writing was on the wall when she was put up against Kyla. There were moments when it did seem less like a musical performance and more like an Olympic sport with Kyla's "caterwauling" (perfect term!) As @Tanichka said, unfortunately the powerhouse vocals are usually the more obvious crowdpleasers where the coaches are concerned. I kind of already "know" what Kyla will sound like going forward (more powerhouse vocals and a gospel song choice at a crucial round) and I'm already bored. I prefer getting the surprises and unique performances from more nuanced singers.

Austin Giorgio--I like his voice, but his performance seemed so forced, unlike that of Noah Mac's who I believe was also Team Blake. Blake is definitely a game player. He picked the person who he knew others would try to steal, and saved the person who they wouldn't. Hope the other Blake teammates didn't hear him say that Austin and Spensha were his favorites.

13 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

At least Adam's first attempt backfired so spectacularly. He really should have chosen the artist everyone else wanted and then "saved" Mia. I'm not sure why he didn't but I think he realized it was a mistake.

Adam is really carried away with his emotions and Blake is the more strategic player. He should have done what Blake did, unless he genuinely thought that the other coaches were going to steal Mia whose performance was good, but not enough (I think) to get a steal. I do like the introduction of the save, and the way Blake used it in his argument about how he's never kicked that Evanescence singer to the curb. Speaking of, she really should have gone with Blake. Girl, Alicia even said she hit her button out of funsies! And Blake did just win with someone who was more rock.

I was annoyed at how much the performance relied on back up vocals and special effects.

And lucky for Drew Adam blew his save.

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I had thought Justin was going to a favorite. Not sure what happened. 

Yeah, me too. It made me wonder not only how songs are chosen as @incandescent asked, but what happens when you get a comment from a coach in their first prep meeting that it might not be the best choice for them (or words to that effect)? It seems like you can't change, and that can't help with the nerves which were already a problem. It almost feels like he already knew it was going to fall apart when he came on.

Blake's comment was really spot on, between the identifying exactly what Justin set out to do, and pinpointing where the actual effort fell short.

Fortunately another favorite did make it through -- Johnny Bliss. Even though it was a far from perfect performance, I'm glad he'll be around to show us more. But Mya Bass notably fell apart, making it a clear choice. I appreciate that they didn't montage this, though.

• Love 5
(edited)

I think that I'm pulling from old seasons that the contestants pick their own song for The Knock out rounds.  But, who knows now.  I suppose things change and I don't trust much on these shows.  I do think it's producer driven and that favorites are truly that and maybe the outcome is not as unpredictable as we are led to believe. 

I'm still watching due to there still being 2 local contestants in the running.  (Britton and Rayshun.)  I don't think they are going to be my favorites now, but, I still support the hometown guys.)

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I have a feeling Blake's really not trying to win this time around anyway.

I disagree. He's always in it to win it <wince>. Pryor, whom I quite like, should make the finals. I had the feeling Blake picked Brigadoon Boy as fodder since, eventually, he'll have to cut half (more?) of his team.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Tanichka said:

Everyone goes nuts for yelling over nuanced & those types never go anywhere.  I really preferred Jaclyn to Kyla - seen that performance a thousand times.

I felt like I'd seen both of their performances a thousand times. 

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, Tanichka said:

There are quite a few artists who Jaclyn shares a similar sound with. They're constantly on indie playlists.

7 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

I do like the introduction of the save, and the way Blake used it in his argument about how he's never kicked that Evanescence singer to the curb. Speaking of, she really should have gone with Blake. Girl, Alicia even said she hit her button out of funsies! And Blake did just win with someone who was more rock.

I was annoyed at how much the performance relied on back up vocals and special effects.

I quite enjoyed the special effects and backup vocals, that's what made it a classic 2000s rock performance to me. But I used to listen to the song all the time while in school.

Edited by Jal
  • Love 1

A lot of good performances this episode and some tough calls from the coaches that I didn't always agree with.

The biggest disappointment was Jaclyn Lovey.  I was pulling for her going into her KO with Kyla, but she really screwed that up.  Easily the worst performance of the night.  Meanwhile Kyla showed a lot more dynamics, stage presence and feeling than she had in previous rounds and gave us one of the best of the night.  I didn't mind her wailing at the end because she started so softly and gradually built up to it.  It's when they wail the entire song without showing any dynamics that it starts bothering me.

Justin was another disappointment and while I wasn't nearly as impressed by Kaleb as the coaches, he did clearly win that one.

Jackie F gave one of my favorite performances of the night and Mia really stepped it up to match her.  I probably would still have given it to Jackie, but Mia definitely deserved to go through.  I do think Jackie made a big mistake going with Alicia.  I can't see her getting through on that team, while I think she would have had at least a chance with any of the other coaches.  I hate the thought of losing her in the playoffs.

Spensha was good too, though I think she was better in previous rounds.  Austin's performance was so cheesy that I had to look away.  What a waste of a save.

Still love Johnny even he was overly ambitious in his arrangement and it kind of got away from him at the end.  Miya was the third disappointment of the night.  Her choices on when to insert her runs were really weird.  They did not work at all.

Really liked both Drew and Jackie V.  He was one of my favorites coming into this round, while she improved quite remarkably.  Jackie's performance was about a complete a vocal you can get, showing off the full range of what she can do.  I would have been okay with either one winning and am happy that they both are going through.  I hope Jackie can replicate this in the playoffs to make things tough on Adam.

Are the performances up on YouTube in the US?  I live abroad and for the first time in several seasons they are not available immediately after the show on The Voice YouTube channel.

• Love 2

Ed Sheeran is my ginger brother from another mother and I love him and his music. 

Re: Miya (Pink haired lady from NYPD family)

I had such major second hand embarrassment watching & listening to her. Did she self sabotage on purpose? 

WHAT in the hell was she singing? Did she hear herself at all during any part of the rehearsals? 

I can’t remember a more awkward performance in the history of the show.

18 minutes ago, Bridget said:

Ed Sheeran is my ginger brother from another mother and I love him and his music. 

I had such major second hand embarrassment watching & listening to her. Did she self sabotage on purpose? 

WHAT in the hell was she singing? Did she hear herself at all during any part of the rehearsals? 

She did Castle On The Hill by Ed Sheerin.  It was kind of all over the place.  Odd selection.  

On 4/2/2018 at 10:28 PM, Padma said:

Funny> I was telling my DH that he would have a great career on a cruise ship. Noah Mac he isn't. 

• Love 1
On 4/3/2018 at 11:41 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I think that I'm pulling from old seasons that the contestants pick their own song for The Knock out rounds.  But, who knows now.  I suppose things change and I don't trust much on these shows.  I do think it's producer driven and that favorites are truly that and maybe the outcome is not as unpredictable as we are led to believe. 

I'm still watching due to there still being 2 local contestants in the running.  (Britton and Rayshun.)  I don't think they are going to be my favorites now, but, I still support the hometown guys.)

When they showed each knockout rehearsal, the coaches seemed to make a point of asking "What song did you choose?" or at least it seemed that way to me, so I came to the conclusion that each artist chose their own song....but whether that came from a pre-selected list of choices I'm not sure.

On 4/4/2018 at 6:58 PM, Bridget said:

I am not a Sheeran fan at all, but I DO love Castle on the Hill. It was such a poor choice for Mya; I don't understand why she'd choose a song about being chased by brothers, and cheap spirits, and hand-rolled cigarettes, and running from the law, and castles in England.....not that women can't do any of those things, but it's such a "guy" song to me, and she's a New Yorker!  I wish she'd been steered to a song she was more likely to connect with. And no, the fact that the lyrics said "I'm on my way" a couple times didn't do it.

There.  Rant over.

• Love 3

Current team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam
Mia Boostrom (defeated Jackie Foster)
Jackie Verna (defeated Drew Cole)
Drew Cole (saved by Team Adam)

(Still Waiting)
Rayshun LaMarr
Reid Umstattd
Gary Edwards
Jordyn Simone

Team Alicia
Johnny Bliss (defeated Miya Bass)
Jackie Foster (stolen from Team Adam)

(Still Waiting)
Sharane Calister
Christiana Danielle
Kelsea Johnson
Britton Buchanan
Terrence Cunningham
Dallas Caroline

Team Kelly
Kaleb Lee (defeated Justin Kilgore)

(Still Waiting)
Brynn Cartelli
D.R. King
Jorge Eduardo
Jamella
Alexa Capelli
Tish Haynes Keys

Team Blake
Kyla Jade (defeated Jaclyn Lovey)
Spensha Baker (defeated Austin Giorgio)
Austin Giorgio (saved by Team Blake)

(Still Waiting)
Jaron Strom
Pryor Baird
WILKES
Dylan Hartigan

Names in bold indicate an artist who has newly won his or her Knockout and stayed on his or team, lost his or her Knockout, but was saved by hsi or her coach, or lost his or Knockout, but was stolen by another coach.  An asterisk indicates that this artist's Knockout was montaged.