Type keyword(s) to search

S16 Spoilers

• Start Topic

I think Catie was the chosen one from the beginning ( first contestant on the first show of the reboot).  I think she's fine although the second original was not as good as first one during the auditions.  Another chosen one seems to be Jonny.  Is it because  he's a nice looking guy or because they are planning  a whole " dad accepts son's music career and we get a family reunion"?  I'm just not getting him.

I think Lane , the construction guy that lost his mom, and the guy with the full beard were all better than some of the ones chosen but guess  they didn't want country idol.

i wonder if twin and his mom are going to have a melt down when not accepted?

(edited)

I only like Maddie, Caleb and Michael from the top 14.  If any of the others win, they'll just have 15 minutes of fame, nothing more imo.  I miss the days when this show was about finding real talent, talent that would make it big.

I think I'll post watch the performances of these 3 on YouTube so I don't have to endure the life stories and mediocrity of the others.

Edited by dizzyd
  • Love 1

Billboard has spoilers for what the Top 7 will sing during the Prince "Theme" night:  https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/television/8448759/american-idol-prince-tribute-top-7-songs

Cade Foehner: “Jungle Love” (sung by The Time, written and produced by Prince)
Caleb Lee Hutchinson: “When Doves Cry”
Catie Turner: “Manic Monday” (The Bangles song, written by Prince)
Gabby Barrett: “How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore”
Jurnee: “Kiss”
Maddie Poppe: “Nothing Compares 2 U”
Michael J. Woodard: “I Would Die 4 U”

Maddie is going to do so well on that song.

• Love 1

Interesting list again. 

I found this country-ish version of When Doves Cry.  Maybe Caleb will do something like that.  It's kind of sleepy,  but kind of cool.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msJtYy2Ldz0

Not sure how I feel about Cade doing Jungle Love.  Hopefully the backup singers will handle the oh-ee-oh-ee-ohs.  

(edited)

Hmm. Both Cade and Michael have songs that basically consist of strings of chant/talking, followed by a (admittedly) catchy chorus. Can Cade summon up the sense of humour needed to sell that song? 'Take you to my crib and rip you off'? I'm afraid we're going to have to watch him being 'sexy'.

And I look forward to Magical Mike singing 'I'm not a woman; I'm not a man; I am something that you'll never understand', LOL.

Catie and Maddie switch songs, eh? Wonder how Maddie won that song-I assume she wasn't the only one who wanted it. I haven't seen any evidence that she can summon up the angst of Sinead O'Connor's version, and without that, Nothing Compares 2 U can be kind of mewly and insubstantial. Catie's voice seems wasted on Manic Monday, which is a cute song, but doesn't really go anywhere.

Edited by sempervivum
corrected name
43 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

And I look forward to Magical Mike singing 'I'm not a woman; I'm not a man; I am something that you'll never understand', LOL.

Nothing will ever top the duet of This Love by Phillip Phillips and Joshua Ledet, for awkward lyrics.  I don't know how Phillip sang this with a straight face, sitting next to Joshua.  

My pressure on your hips
Sinking my fingertips
Into every inch of you

Not sure how I feel about Cade doing Jungle Love.  Hopefully the backup singers will handle the oh-ee-oh-ee-ohs.

Who is going to hold up the ornate gold mirror??

I too think Maddie is going to rule with that song. Still po'd that no one is doing my fav Prince Song--Gett Off.  Someone should have done Raspberry Beret.  Also, I could see Cade doing 1999.

• Love 1
(edited)

Are they down to a small enough group that they'll start adding group numbers/medleys? Assuming 1999, Raspberry Beret and maybe Little Red Corvette would be in that medley so no one would seem to be "favored." I would have loved I Wanna Be Your Lover.

I'm not sure about Cade doing Jungle Love either, mainly because I always felt that what really "made" that song for me (for me, for you) was Morris Day's mannerisms and hip swinging moves. Can't quite imagine Cade doing anything but dork it up. 

Jurnee could actually have a "moment" with Kiss. 

Overall, I still think we're at the point where people have their favorites and are going to vote for who they're going to vote for even if they got out there and sang "Mary Had A Little Lamb" (I guess they'll save that for Paul McCartney night though).

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap

Are they down to a small enough group that they'll start adding group numbers/medleys? Assuming 1999, Raspberry Beret and maybe Little Red Corvette would be in that medley so no one would seem to be "favored." I would have loved I Wanna Be Your Lover.

They are going to be pretty rushed this episode. The BB article also reveals that they will be singing two songs. The theme for the second song is "Songs from the Year You Were Born". 14 songs and critiques followed by an elimination will probably not leave time for a group medley.

23 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I'm not sure about Cade doing Jungle Love either, mainly because I always felt that what really "made" that song for me (for me, for you) was Morris Day's mannerisms and hip swinging moves. Can't quite imagine Cade doing anything but dork it up. 

I'm old enough to be a mega MTV fan when they used to actually show videos and I can visualize Morris Day and The Time doing their moves while listening to the song. I can't imagine somebody will be holding up a large mirror while Cade is checking his profile and then he'll give them five and launch into the "oh wee oh wee oh" dance. Dork it up indeed.

• Love 2
On 5/5/2018 at 4:35 PM, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Maybe they should do at least 1 group number after every one sings. That would give another 10 minutes of voting and make the person going last feel like voting was fairer.

I had no idea I could dislike Katy Perry so much. If it has a penis she’s all over them with the sexy innuendo. Worse then JLo. I think I prefer Mariah Carey’s strangeness to this over the top Katy Perry. 

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, Kendra143 said:

I had no idea I could dislike Katy Perry so much. If it has a penis she’s all over them with the sexy innuendo. Worse then JLo. I think I prefer Mariah Carey’s strangeness to this over the top Katy Perry. 

Same.

I think she's an asshole.  She gives off the vibe of someone who's been told her shit don't stink her entire life - and feels that every word that tumbles out of her piehole is the most brilliant and/or funny piece of speech that has ever existed. 

I thought she was cute and quirky before AI.  Now I just think she's a douche canoe.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Kendra143 said:

Very unpopular opinion but I think Mariah Carey was actually a good judge with valid, useful commentary (though she would have been better as a mentor). She just got overshadowed by Nicki Minaj's constant mugging and producers playing up the feud.

• Love 1

I also liked Katy Perry until American Idol became the Katy Perry Comedy Hour.  I fast forward through the judges' comments now because I don't want to have to look at her or see her. I'm also extremely disappointed in Lionel and Luke.  I feel like they do nothing to enhance the show.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm not sure if it was said on the show last night--I know they said Carrie Underwood would be performing--but I read earlier that one of next week's themes will be Carrie's discography.

Too bad Jurnee’s not still around. I would’ve liked hearing her take on a Carrie song.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I also liked Katy Perry until American Idol became the Katy Perry Comedy Hour.  I fast forward through the judges' comments now because I don't want to have to look at her or see her. I'm also extremely disappointed in Lionel and Luke.  I feel like they do nothing to enhance the show.

The problem is that there isn't any real critiquing, which is a disservice to contestants like Marcio, Ada, Dennis who did not understand why they were voted off.  The judges are acting more like fans.  It's bad enough Katy Perry got $25M, and then have the season revolve around her tour schedule.

• Love 3

Here is a collection of spoilers for next week. Caleb tweeted that the theme is "Carrie Underwood Songs" and "Mother's Day Song" (basically whatever you want to pick and dedicate to your Mom). 

The would-be winner's singles are on YouTube now.

Maddie - "Going Going Gone" 

Gabby - "Rivers Deep"

Caleb - "Johnny Cash Heart"

I'm grateful I like Maddie's. Caleb's is so-so, but I'm surprised at Gabby's. I expected something totally different for her.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The would-be winner's singles are on YouTube now.

Maddie - "Going Going Gone" 

Gabby - "Rivers Deep"

Caleb - "Johnny Cash Heart"

I'm grateful I like Maddie's. Caleb's is so-so, but I'm surprised at Gabby's. I expected something totally different for her.

I rather like Maddie's single, though I wish it sounded a little less produced. It reminds me a bit of Phillip Phillips' song "Home" - so maybe that's a good thing? 

I think I would've liked Gabby's song better if someone else sang it. It's a weird mashup of country/gospel with some pop-ish Ariane Grande undertones. Gabby doesn't have a strong musical identity to me anyways so I couldn't say if it's a good fit or not. 

Caleb's song is just meh to me, sounds like a lot of other generic country songs(and I do actually like country!)

I don't know where else to ask this, but since we are talking about the singles, has anyone heard Maddie's song get any airtime? I regularly listen to 101.9 the Mix in Chicago and I haven't heard it. When Phillip Phillips won, his song was all over the place. He's the last winner I can remember getting significant airplay of his winning single (and that was before it was used in the Olympics that year).