Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Barbershop

Dee
  • Start Topic

I had been hoping for some humor after the past few eps were so dark, and this one delivered.  We've all known a Bibby, or someone like him.  I loved Alfred's mounting frustration as he was shuttled off place to place.  He handled himself well in front of Bibby's son.  Brian did a great job this week.

The best part was the ending.  No matter what happens, it means a lot to have the person know your hair before they start styling it.  Bibby is awful, but he never needed to question Alfred about his hair, because Bibby already knew it.

Was Bibby using a flip phone in the car when they did the hit and run?  Also, thought the woman was screaming because she was in labor.

• Love 9

Classic episode. And yes, we do all know a Bibby. Always on some bullshit, always hustling and lying, gaslighting tf out of you LOL. That cut was nice though. Poor Al having to start over, he looked so dejected at the end. It's like that though.

I laughed so hard I had real tears. Whoever played Bibby was amazing, just so REAL. And BTH playing the straight man was perfect. 

• Love 14

I think one of my favorite lines was Bibby telling Raindrops Peach Emoji in the rambling story of why he needed to pick up Al, “...his carburetor has jaundice...” That and for the explanation that he’s wearing a barber’s cape because he’s a magician, Al does this little arm flare of the cape. And then when Al tells the kid that he doesn’t know magic but the lights go out because Bibby stole Raindrops Peach Emoji’s utility money and didn’t pay the bills: “Is THAT your trick?” But, yes, the look of defeat on Al’s face that he’s stuck with Bibby because he doesn’t know whether he needs a 2 or a 3 setting—oh, poor Al!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, JenE4 said:

I think one of my favorite lines was Bibby telling Raindrops Peach Emoji in the rambling story of why he needed to pick up Al, “...his carburetor has jaundice...” That and for the explanation that he’s wearing a barber’s cape because he’s a magician, Al does this little arm flare of the cape. And then when Al tells the kid that he doesn’t know magic but the lights go out because Bibby stole Raindrops Peach Emoji’s utility money and didn’t pay the bills: “Is THAT your trick?” But, yes, the look of defeat on Al’s face that he’s stuck with Bibby because he doesn’t know whether he needs a 2 or a 3 setting—oh, poor Al!

I howled. It was the expression on Al's face that really sold it. I also howled at "well do it then, beige lady!" and the thumbs up when Bibby said the kid was his son.

• Love 7

I was howling this whole episode.  All the characters were just perfection.  I wonder what Bibby was really going to do with that lumber?

I like Al much more than Earn, so it was nice to see no Earn this episode.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4
On 3/29/2018 at 11:54 PM, ridethemaverick said:

Whoever played Bibby was amazing, just so REAL. And BTH playing the straight man was perfect. 

There's gotta be a Guest Actor Emmy nomination right there. That was sheer perfection. 

I also appreciated having a straight up humorous episode. It was a nice change of pace.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, vb68 said:

There's gotta be a Guest Actor Emmy nomination right there. That was sheer perfection. 

I also appreciated having a straight up humorous episode. It was a nice change of pace.

I feel like Bibby was talking so fast I need to rewatch to catch all of the jokes. That’s probably true for the series in general—brilliant but I’m probably still missing a good percentage of the brilliance. The series is on Hulu. I’m going to need to put a rewatch in rotation.

But a couple of other things I just recalled Bibby saying... Bringing up someone crashing into T-Mobile and stealing 100 phones and Al lamenting that it was terrible but ‘tis the season—and then Bibby saying he can hook him up with a T-Mobile contract. The callback to season 1 of trying to show Al the video of the invisible car driving into the crowd. I THINK another callback was to the chicken place—Zanzibar’s or something like that. Didn’t they have an episode in season 1 about getting wings there? The paradox of Bibby yelling at his kid for not being at school AND not hanging the posters—so obviously he encouraged him to skip school to do that. It just went on and on. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, vb68 said:

I think I'd still go with Katt Williams as Uncle Willie.

This season, the characters Willie, Bibby, Clarke and Tracy show how good the casting is for this show. They were confident enough to give an actor we have never seen on the show a story revolving around a character we have never seen on the show and it worked!

Now they need to work on their gender casting.

• Love 5

I have nothing else to add to what everyone else has already said.  Bibby was awesome.  Funny, funny episode.  I need to re=watch because, just like Al, I felt like I was dragged along for the ride.  Bibby was a force of nature  -- so full of bullshit but still rather likable.

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

They were confident enough to give an actor we have never seen on the show a story revolving around a character we have never seen on the show and it worked!

Yes.  This rarely ever works.  But the actor, the situation, the dialogue  --- everything conspired to allow us to enjoy a never-before-seen character front and center and carrying and entire episode.

finally, I adore the the invisible car made a re-appearance even if it was only Bibby being wowed by it.

Just to show you how good the actor was, I couldn't understand 80% of what Bibby was saying but I still "understood" somehow, and he still had me howling.  Uncle Willie was superb, too, but I'd still give a slight edge to Bibby.  Aw hell, I think they both should be nominated for guest actor.

Speaking of nominations, I don't know if Paper Boi/Al was ever nominated for Supporting Actor in a comedy, but he should be. 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Speaking of nominations, I don't know if Paper Boi/Al was ever nominated for Supporting Actor in a comedy, but he should be

Not for comedy or supporting, but he was nominated for guest actor for This Is Us last year and it was well deserved.  I didn't know he could actually sing.  Actually he didn't know he could sing.  LOL.  Here is a nice article about it.  http://www.tvguide.com/news/brian-tyree-henry-this-is-us-memphis-song-best-performance/

Edited by DearEvette
8 hours ago, JenE4 said:

I feel like Bibby was talking so fast I need to rewatch to catch all of the jokes. That’s probably true for the series in general—brilliant but I’m probably still missing a good percentage of the brilliance. The series is on Hulu. I’m going to need to put a rewatch in rotation.

But a couple of other things I just recalled Bibby saying... Bringing up someone crashing into T-Mobile and stealing 100 phones and Al lamenting that it was terrible but ‘tis the season—and then Bibby saying he can hook him up with a T-Mobile contract. The callback to season 1 of trying to show Al the video of the invisible car driving into the crowd. I THINK another callback was to the chicken place—Zanzibar’s or something like that. Didn’t they have an episode in season 1 about getting wings there? The paradox of Bibby yelling at his kid for not being at school AND not hanging the posters—so obviously he encouraged him to skip school to do that. It just went on and on. 

I had to put the caption on so I could understand him - he talked a mile a minute!

1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Not for comedy or supporting, but he was nominated for guest actor for This Is Us last year and it was well deserved.  I didn't know he could actually sing.  Actually he didn't know he could sing.  LOL.  Here is a nice article about it.  http://www.tvguide.com/news/brian-tyree-henry-this-is-us-memphis-song-best-performance/

Wow, he's really good.  I don't watch This Is Us, so that was a revelation.

Next week I'd like to see more Darius.

(edited)
On 3/29/2018 at 9:45 PM, Amethyst said:

I had been hoping for some humor after the past few eps were so dark, and this one delivered.  We've all known a Bibby, or someone like him.  I loved Alfred's mounting frustration as he was shuttled off place to place.  He handled himself well in front of Bibby's son.  Brian did a great job this week.

Brian did a great job like he does every week.  He’s a master class in acting.  So subtle, never overacts, always perfect.  I just watch his eyes, he can express a lot just by a shift in his eyes.  That’s talent.

The guy who played Bibi was great too.  I know he’s a comedian, I wonder if they had him improvise some of that stuff, or if it was all in the script.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 2
(edited)

I laughed from start to finish. We all have either dealt with or know some variation of Bibby. Bibby out here giving the same service at the barbershop that most women have to deal with at the salon. Nevermind you made a 9 am appointment. The shop was closed when you arrived, the stylist is late, appointments are backed up, and then when she finally comes in, she has to get something to eat.

I felt Al's annoyance.

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, JenE4 said:

I feel like Bibby was talking so fast I need to rewatch to catch all of the jokes. That’s probably true for the series in general—brilliant but I’m probably still missing . I THINK another callback was to the chicken place—Zanzibar’s or something like that. Didn’t they have an episode in season 1 about getting wings there? The paradox of Bibby yelling at his kid for not being at school AND not hanging the posters—so obviously he encouraged him to skip school to do that. It just went on and on. 

The chicken place is a fast food place called Zaxby's. 

The wing place with lemon pepper wet in the first season was J.R. Crickets.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Court said:

The wing place with lemon pepper wet in the first season was J.R. Crickets.

I bet they never guessed that scene would eventually get them a national ad campaign paid for by Amazon.

• Love 4

This can't be the first time PB had to deal with this guy?

He can't be the only barber and at the end we see Alfred going to another guy.

Bibby is lucky PB isn't like that other rapper from a couple of episodes ago who threatened the recording engineer with his thugs.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, scrb said:

Bibby is lucky PB isn't like that other rapper from a couple of episodes ago who threatened the recording engineer with his thugs.

That rapper was cold-blooded.  The scary thing is, he probably knows just how and when to turn on the likability factor to get those commercials.

I think PB knew that Bibby was a piece of work, but he liked the way he cut his hair so he was willing to put up with stuff, until Bibby went too far.   

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Ohwell said:

That rapper was cold-blooded.  The scary thing is, he probably knows just how and when to turn on the likability factor to get those commercials.

I think PB knew that Bibby was a piece of work, but he liked the way he cut his hair so he was willing to put up with stuff, until Bibby went too far.   

I agree with this. 

My boyfriend waits forever for his barber because he does a great job but he's slow and disappears in the back. Or maybe hes not in the back at all, lol. Has no concept of time. While he's considered trying another barber, that gets awkward in the same shop. He's gone to other shops but they don't know his hair and how he likes it. Or they don't listen. Nothing off the top doesn't mean take an inch off. 

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, Sparger Springs said:

Every black person in America knows a Bibby.  They do an excellent job but they suck cause they won't get out of their own way.

So true. Bibby was beyond ridiculous, but Brian Tyree Henry was great in this episode. His reaction faces were just sublime.

• Love 4

I got a cut today and remembered another reason you don't  want to upset your barber.

Sometimes he is literally holding a straight razor to you neck or hairline.

• Love 4
On 3/31/2018 at 3:47 AM, vb68 said:

I used to go to a salon called Shear Perfection 🤣

I’ve been going to the same stylist for 30 years & he will occasionally pull a Bibby on me, but what can you do?!

• Love 1