Type keyword(s) to search

S.14.E10: The Battles Part 4

• Start Topic

(edited)

Complete Teams heading into the Knockout Rounds

Team Adam (4 Female and 4 Male artists)

Drew Cole (defeated Miya Bass)

Gary Edwards (defeated Angel Bonilla in a montage'd battle)

Jackie Foster (stolen from Team Kelly)

Jackie Verna (defeated Stephanie Skipper)

Jordyn Simone (stolen from Team Alicia)

Mia Boostrom (defeated Genesis Diaz)

Rayshun LaMarr (defeated Tish Haynes Keys)

Reid Umstattd (defeated Davison)

Team Alicia (5 Female and 3 Male artists)

Britton Buchanon (defeated Jaclyn Lovey)

Christiana Danielle (defeated Shana Halligan)

Dallas Caroline (stolen from Team Blake)

Johnny Bliss (defeated Megan Lee in a montage'd battle)

Kelsea Johnson (defeated Jordyn Simone)

Miya Bass (stolen from Team Adam)

Sharane Calister (defeated Jamai)

Terrence Cunningham (defeated Livia Faith)

Team Blake (5 Male and 3 Female artists)

Austin Giorgio (defeated Brett Hunter in a montage'd battle)

Dylan Hartigan (stolen from Team Kelly)

Jaclyn Lovey (stolen from Team Alicia)

Jaron Strom (defeated Bransen Ireland in a montage'd battle)

Kyla Jade (defeated JessLee)

Pryor Baird (defeated Kaleb Lee)

Spensha Baker (defeated Dallas Caroline)

Wilkes (defeated Jordan Kirkdorffer)

Team Kelly (5 Female and 3 Male artists)

**Alexa Capelli advanced when Hannah Goebel withdrew or was not permitted to sing by the show for "personal reasons"

Brynn Cartelli (defeated Dylan Hartigan)

D.R. King (defeated Jackie Foster)

Jamella (defeated Teana Boston in a montage'd battle)

Jorge Eduardo (defeated Amber Sauer)

Justin Kilgore (defeated Molly Stevens)

Kaleb Lee (stolen from Team Blake)

Tish Haynes Keys (stolen from Team Adam)

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

That Terence and Livia Battle was everything, Hoping Livia comes back, but glad that Terence was picked. I was unfamiliar with the song, but wow they sure made me feel it.

Lol, I loved the glare that Adam gave Blake when Blake commented that the song wasn’t in either of the two girls wheelhouses. I’m thinking cannon fodder either way, although I would have given it to Stephanie.

It was also cute when Blake told his girls that one of them better get stolen so he can steal her back—it’s worked before.

I’ve been really impressed with Shawn Mendes and Trace Adkins as coaches. They’re shown giving real advice, and assessments of the singers that sound genuine (although I have no way of knowing if it makes sense to people who know music) Things like “stay behind the beat” (Trace) or helping the singers connect to the lyrics (Shawn) remind me why I enjoy the Voice even if I’m unfamiliar with most of the music and artists featured.

• Love 5

Molly slammed Kelly Clarkson via Twitter for comparing her to the Indigo Girls and Melissa Etheridge.  Kelly was NOT happy.

I'm also curious about Hannah having to leave the show for personal reasons.  Did some minor checking around on FB and her local paper but no clue.

Edited by MerBearHou

I read the comments and the tweets, and Molly not only has a gigantic chip on her shoulder, she comes across as one of the perpetually offended. I'm glad I don't have to listen to her any more.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Padma said:

Personally, I think Molly had a point. http://people.com/music/kelly-clarkson-defends-comparing-voice-contestant-molly-stevens-gay-artists/   If Kelly had compared her with one gay singer and someone else it wouldn't have seemed like pigeonholing.  But only those two?  Not cool. 

I'd say Kelly will learn from it, but from her reaction (defensive), maybe not.

I cringed when watching that - While she does have similarities as both Melissa and the Indigo Girls have a bit of folk/country in their voices and the storytelling for sure but it did seem a bit more linking their LGBTQ status then their singing. Producers didn't help if they omitted the Patty Griffin part or is it just that Molly didn't include it in her post? I'm sure Kelly meant no offense by it and it's hard not to compare and link with similar artists. I really liked Molly and their performance and was sad to see her go. And I hate country music. But it was so damn beautifully done. 

Molly's twitter response seemed fairly thought out and not to gut reaction/chip. I think the labeling box is out there and it is tough. and a good conversation to be had. I would maybe have not put small-minded in there though. I thought Kelly's response was a bit extra defensive but was also fairly straight forward and simply explained her thoughts. 

Edited by slaterain
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, slaterain said:

Producers didn't help if they omitted the Patty Griffin part or is it just that Molly didn't include it in her post? I'm sure Kelly meant no offense by it and it's hard not to compare and link with similar artists.

Molly excluded it, probably because it doesn’t fit the argument that Kelly only compared her to other lesbians. It was mentioned on the show in between Melissa Etheridge and the Indigo Girls. 

• Love 6

I'm disappointed that Hannah dropped out.  She was one of my few favorites coming out of the blinds.  Even more disappointing is that we lost Livia.  She was exquisite in that battle - even better than in her blind audition.  While I'm hoping she gets brought back as a comeback artist, I'm not counting on it.  The coaches usually pick people who were eliminated in the knockouts and Alicia's team is still loaded. 

At least Terrence and Spensha are still in the competition.  So far I'm really enjoying Terrence, though it could eventually get tiring if he keeps changing up the songs exactly the same way week after week.  As for Spensha, I think she's already shown that she's superior to Keisha Renee from last season.  Spensha really does sound a lot more authentically like someone from the Carry Underwood school of modern country music.  Keisha always came across as an R&B singer covering a country song.

I have trouble seeing Caroline as being anything but fodder on Alicia's team.  Jackie at least showed enough improvement that if she chooses a song that allows more dynamics (rather than just screaming), she might have a small chance on Adam's much weaker team.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lily H said:

I read the comments and the tweets, and Molly not only has a gigantic chip on her shoulder, she comes across as one of the perpetually offended. I'm glad I don't have to listen to her any more.

It did seem an odd way to work on advancing her career, calling someone like Kelly Clarkson small-minded because she compared her voice to a couple of hugely talented, very successful singers like Etheridge and the Indigo Girls.   Why pick that fight?   I don't know that there really is a lesbian singer-songwriter box, I hadn't ever heard of it before, but hey, if it leads to success, maybe Molly shouldn't mind being put in that box.  She's a nobody, trying to be a somebody, so needlessly and unfairly pissing off influential people who could maybe open a few doors for her, that just doesn't seem to make much sense.  Which is probably why she apologized. And she has, so good for her. 

• Love 4

Could not believe it when I read what Molly said (and deleted) on instagram. Especially how selective she was about what she wrote Kelly Clarkson had said, and did not include anything that would damage her argument. As that other twitter user commented in the People article, she sounds like a sore loser.

And then there was her lame apology (of the 'I didn't intend to offend anyone' variety). If she didn't intend it, why did she write it? Sad, and possibly career damaging. Who wants someone who throws a snitty when things don't go her way. Especiallly someone who isn't a kid any more (she's 34)

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 3

I’m dying to know more than ever in what order the rounds are taped because during the last battle, Spensha sang circles around  an inexperienced teenager, Dallas. Dallas’ voice was awful in comparison (her tone was thin & I could “hear” her nerves). Her voice was not “warm”, as Alicia claimed she was looking for, yet she was stolen by Alicia anyway. What is that?

Spensha’s freakin blind audition was amazing. The Beatles are sacred, but she crushed it. 

There were better singers who lost their Battle round who I thought Alicia would have chosen over Dallas. 

As much as I love Kelly on the show, I’m also able to really start being able to “see behind the curtain” in terms of the influence of the production team and I don’t like that.

This show is special to me - don’t you ruin it Mark Burnett!

I wonder if they would give Hannah another chance in some future season?  This assumes she had a legitimate reason for withdrawing that was out of her control.  I know that back in the early seasons their was a rule that people could try again if they were eliminated up through the battles.  But I don't think we've ever seen someone come back again who was selected in the blind audition.

Very disappointed Hannah dropped out as she was one of my favorites from the blinds.  Reminded me a little of Addison Agen from last season, who IMHO, should have won.  

I have no time or sympathy for eliminated contestants who gripe and whine about some imaginary or unintended slight directed their way.  So Molly just gets an eye roll from me.  Both were good but the guy was just that much better.  If they do the comeback artist, Molly will have either lost out or will get back in if Kelly feels guilty.  Which she should not.  Everyone else exited with grace.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can someone recall who the young man, cute with brown hair, was who got a 4 chair turn, but, Blake got blocked? Adam laid down on the floor he was so happy.  

Britton? 

6 minutes ago, dlyn said:

Britton? 

Well, it wasn't him that I'm thinking of and I know that because, I saw that episode and was quite aware, because Britton is from my state and so, I'm careful with those details.  So, he's not the one.  I THINK the one I am searching for who was older than Britton and might have said he liked Reba McIntyre.  

I saw it on the montage they ran Wednesday night and realized that I hadn't seen this guy before.  

22 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can someone recall who the young man, cute with brown hair, was who got a 4 chair turn, but, Blake got blocked? Adam laid down on the floor he was so happy.  

It was Justin Kilgore - the guy who beat Molly Stevens in the battles.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, viajero said:

It was Justin Kilgore - the guy who beat Molly Stevens in the battles.

YES! That's him.    And Molly is from my state. Oh well.....lol.  Thanks.  I really like him. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
On 3/28/2018 at 5:39 PM, dlyn said:

Molly excluded it, probably because it doesn’t fit the argument that Kelly only compared her to other lesbians. It was mentioned on the show in between Melissa Etheridge and the Indigo Girls. 

This is correct.

On 3/29/2018 at 12:31 AM, Bridget said:

As much as I love Kelly on the show, I’m also able to really start being able to “see behind the curtain” in terms of the influence of the production team and I don’t like that.

Can you give some examples? I'm not disputing you, but I'm not sure what to look for "behind the curtain" and I'm curious.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:10 AM, radiochik said:

Now I want to know what happened to Hannah Goebel.

She got hit with a very bad flu that was going around L.A. at the time of taping.  Somehow, only she and Amber Sauer got sick.  She got so sick, she had to pull out two days before her and Alexa's Battle.

Also, Alexa performed their song first by herself, and then with production's vocal coach, who sang Hannah's parts with her.  They just didn't show the latter.

Final team rosters/cheat sheets going into the Knockouts:

Team Adam
Rayshun LaMarr (defeated Tish Haynes Keys)
Reid Umstattd (defeated Davison)
Mia Boostrom (defeated Genesis Diaz)
Drew Cole (defeated Miya Bass)
Jackie Verna (defeated Stephanie Skipper)
Gary Edwards (defeated Angel Bonilla)*
Jackie Foster (stolen from Team Kelly)
Jordyn Simone (stolen from Team Alicia)

Team Alicia
Sharane Calister (defeated Jamai)
Christiana Danielle (defeated Shana Halligan)
Johnny Bliss (defeated Megan Lee)*
Kelsea Johnson (defeated Jordyn Simone)
Britton Buchanan (defeated Jaclyn Lovey)
Terrence Cunningham (defeated Livia Faith)
Miya Bass (stolen from Team Adam)
Dallas Caroline (stolen from Team Blake)

Team Kelly
Brynn Cartelli (defeated Dylan Hartigan)
D.R. King (defeated Jackie Foster)
Jorge Eduardo (defeated Amber Sauer)
Jamella (defeated Teana Boston)*
Justin Kilgore (defeated Molly Stevens)
Alexa Capelli (defeated Hannah Goebel)*
Tish Haynes Keys (stolen from Team Adam)
Kaleb Lee (stolen from Team Blake)

Team Blake
Kyla Jade (defeated JessLee)
Jaron Strom (defeated Bransen Ireland)*
Pryor Baird (defeated Kaleb Lee)
WILKES (defeated Jordan Kirkdorffer)
Austin Giorgio (defeated Brett Hunter)*
Spensha Baker (defeated Dallas Caroline)

Dylan Hartigan (stolen from Team Kelly)
Jaclyn Lovey (stolen from Team Alicia)

Names in bold indicate an artist who has either newly won his or her Battle and stayed on his or her team, or has lost his or her Battle, but was stolen by another coach.  An asterisk means that this artist's Battle was montaged.