Type keyword(s) to search

Hopes and Fears: How Will We Survive This Island? (Speculation WITHOUT Spoilers)

quarks
  • Start Topic

Honestly now that their regulars I wouldn't be surprised if they pair them off just to give them something to do to justify their status.

I mean all ideas of Dinah/Oliver I think are more then put to bed. They are practically reached hat eating levels of never going to happen. I guess Rene has his daughter as a plot point but I'm feeling Oliver may take the father reconnecting with his child quota next season. So a little side romance might give em something to do other then being the relegated back up in fight scenes *shrug*

But I agree that Dinah is probably a cut above Rene. But it could be cute, dare I say interesting if done right.

That being said I'm still not ruling out Dinah's boyfriend coming back from the dead to give her a storyline.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

But I agree that Dinah is probably a cut above Rene. But it could be cute, dare I say interesting if done right.

The actors' photos together that pop up on the SM thread are always super cute so they could probably sell it but I also think zombie ex and Black Siren are DD's storyline next season. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 1

True. Based on the finale I'm getting the sense that they are setting up Black Siren as a personal villain for Dinah then they are setting BS up as a villain for Oliver/Team Arrow. 

Yet another thing they never bothered to give the first Black Canary. I laugh.

• Love 4
(edited)

I wish I was as certain of many things in my life as I am that Dinah's ex will resurface s6 or s7 if they get one.

As much as I like Donna Smoak, I can see them putting Dinah with Quentin more than with Rene.  Rene is for poor Thea.

1 hour ago, leopardprint said:

OMG, forget Oliver, I want her to work with Felicity on Smoak Tech. I'm saying Felicity, Curtis and Thea, a totally slept upon trio. Curtis is much more tolerable as Felicity's straight man as well.

Sign me up for that!  I'd love to see Thea as CEO while Felicity and Curtis do the science stuff.

Although if they keep Oliver in the mayor's office, Thea will probably be there too to help.  I don't know how Quentin justifies Rene as his assistant though; don't you have to pass a literacy test to get hired?

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

As much as I like Donna Smoak, I can see them putting Dinah with Quentin more than with Rene.  Rene is for poor Thea.

I'd prefer Thea with Quentin over Rene.  Shudder.  And yet I can't say you won't be right.  :(

Dinah with Quentin I swear WOULD work, but would they go there?  I would send soo many cases of soda to the writers if it turned out that Dinah Laurel Lance was a fake out and Dina Drake later goes on to have a kid that just so happens to have the same name, lol.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LeighAn said:

Plus Rene I could buy calling someone "Pretty Bird" (yay comic canon) as a  pet name more then Oliver who rarely even called Felicity affectionate pet names.  I thought I noticed a little spark with his "Sing Canary" moment. 

There was something about that moment in the finale that had me going, "okay, I can see Rene calling Dinah pretty bird next season." And I immediately began hoping it wouldn't happen. 

8 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Dinah with Quentin I swear WOULD work, but would they go there?  I would send soo many cases of soda to the writers if it turned out that Dinah Laurel Lance was a fake out and Dina Drake later goes on to have a kid that just so happens to have the same name, lol.  

I actually wouldn't mind this happening. (If only to see how comics stans react.) 

And hopefully we wouldn't then get Black Siren popping up and going, "you thought you could date my father?" Let's just not have BS say anything else that makes it sound like she thinks she's E1 LL like that "replace" line from the finale. That's one of my big hopes for season 6. 

• Love 5
(edited)
51 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

This reminds me of Ron Swanson and Tammy 1 and Tammy 2 oooh but then Lance could go on to marry Xena! What is Lucy Lawless up to these days?

Edited by leopardprint

I don't see Dinah with Renè because looking at them she acts like his older sister to me. Probably because most of the times he acts like a 14 years old. They basically wrote the same relationship between him and Lance and between Roy and Lance but forgot Renè has a daughter who is what? 10,11? So he really should act more like a grownup.

I fear the actress has her eyes set on making a romance happen between her character and Diggle..that "John!" screamed like Rose screamed "Jack!" in Titanic made me roll my eyes. I hope the writers won't go there.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I fear the actress has her eyes set on making a romance happen between her character and Diggle..that "John!" screamed like Rose screamed "Jack!" in Titanic made me roll my eyes. I hope the writers won't go there.

Eh, I'm just putting it down to the actress' portrayal of the character in general at this point. This came off as sexed up to me as well.

tumblr_oqhl8uIhtY1tyr2z8o2_500.gif

• Love 1

I really hope that they don't bring back JS. A full season of Prommy was enough. The problem for me is that I was already having 'too much Prommy' fatigue.  I feel that if they bring him back as the twin brother as the Vigilante it will take even more screen time from DR. It would then be like JB and while I liked him as the bad guy they kept bringing him back over and over again. I lost interest. 

• Love 1
(edited)
59 minutes ago, BunsenBurner said:

The problem for me is that I was already having 'too much Prommy' fatigue.

Me too! Though we might not be safe since they already brought back one dead character's doppelgänger and you know they love to repeat themselves. I hope JS can move on to bigger and better things, though. 

I just hope next year's villain doesn't require Oliver to act like a nitwit. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 1

I love Josh he seems like a great guy but I feel like Chase had the best ending so I don't know how I feel about him coming back next season if that does end up happening (which doesn't sound definite)

• Love 1
(edited)

I'd feel bad for Lance. First, Laurel's doppelgänger then Chase's not so evil twin not to mention his coworker with the same name as his ex wife. He'd probably check himself back into rehab. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I still think Pike is Vigilante.  

I hope he is but fear he's not and Vigilante is either going to be Dinah's ex (in which case they probably just had Pike or someone else as a backup in case she completely failed and they knew we weren't going to find out who he is in season 5 because they wanted to wait to make sure she was sticking around) or someone disappointing. 

I fear if Pike isn't Vigilante that they're going to forget he's in a coma and just leave him there until they remember he still exists. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I fear if Pike isn't Vigilante that they're going to forget he's in a coma and just leave him there until they remember he still exists. 

Maybe or maybe he'll be brought back so there's still a question about who's behind the mask.  

• Love 1

But then she'll be too busy to easily slip away.  I remember when we were sure that Laurel would quickly be promoted to DA since they kept dying anyway but now I don't think the show will move anyone else up to a position of power.  They already have Oliver and Quentin in the Mayor's office.  

• Love 2

Dinah just joined the SCPD as a uniform.  Putting her on the mayor's security detail is a stretch; realistically they can't give her any position of authority unless they want to go full soap opera.

10 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I dearly hope that Quentin is permanently on the wagon from here out.   

Yeah, that's another soap move, to keep repeating the beats for characters.  I've had enough of that with Oliver trying to find himself over five season.  Hopefully the writers will just move on.

I'd really like to see more of Thea's Moira side than her Malcolm next season.  She took over running Verdant barely out of high school and did a good job of it and then that ended so that Malcolm could train her and do the whole LoA thing.  Then she ran Oliver's city hall until the writers decided that being Moira was a bad thing. So presuming that Diggle, Curtis, Dinah and Rene all survive, that pretty much fills up the fighter quota on Team Arrow so I'd like to see Thea do more in City Hall.

I don't think Vigilante will the next season's Big Bad.  He's not complex enough to carry through a season any more than Black Siren is.

• Love 1

I honestly don't find Chase complex either. The character was carried by a charismatic actor, but I don't find the character as written that interesting. And I though abou Darhk/NM the same way last year.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I honestly don't find Chase complex either. The character was carried by a charismatic actor, but I don't find the character as written that interesting. And I though abou Darhk/NM the same way last year.

I think Chase required too much dumbing down of the other characters to work and quickly became tiresome. JS seems great so hopefully he will be cast on another show because Arrow loves to beat everything into the ground. 

What I found interesting about Chase is the psychological manipulation, and JS's performance.  Vigilante doesn't have even that, he's a shoot 'em up guy. There's no multi-episode story in that, much less season long.

As Big Bads, I found both Ra's and DD disappointing, Ra's because he's obsession with Oliver made no sense (why is he forcing this guy to be Heir when he absolutely doesn't want it?) and Damian Darhk quickly got tiresome because with his magic, there's no reason he couldn't have won within the first couple of episodes.

• Love 3

Vigilante has potential to be interesting once we find out who is behind the mask and his reasons for being there.  I still think Pike rather than Dinah's ex (who IMO has to show up as some kind of meta to have survived in the first place) and I'd love to see Quentin get to react to more than just BS stuff.  And hey, maybe they could actually address the corruption in the Police Department rather than just mention it every year.  

That's the issue Arrow's writers have.  There are oodles of storylines to explore if they'd actually dig into them a bit, but so often they'd rather just mention or show a sort of surface layer version of what the story could be.  They call it fast paced, I call it fast forwarding through the meaty part of the story.  You can't just hint as shadyness and then not follow through.  You can't have Oliver head a special task force and then never do anything with it.  And what was the purpose pretending to frame Quentin?  What was that all about?  Why did Chase do that?  If he was trying to turn Oliver against those he trusted, why no follow through?  

Again and again, Arrow brings up things that never go anywhere.  It's just odd.  

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

And what was the purpose pretending to frame Quentin?  What was that all about?

Yeah, I feel like all Chase accomplished there was getting Lance into rehab and helping him with his drinking. So, uh, good job, Chase? Thanks?

• Love 1
(edited)
1 MINUTE AGO, INSOMNIADREAMS88 SAID:

Yeah, I feel like all Chase accomplished there was getting Lance into rehab and helping him with his drinking. So, uh, good job, Chase? Thanks?

Who here had the theory that Chase was really trying to fix Oliver's life?

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 2
On May 27, 2017 at 0:29 AM, LeighAn said:

Honestly now that Rene and Dinah are regulars I don't see why they can't develop a romance? I mean I think Dinah's too much woman for him but I buy them as a couple more then Rene Thea or Dinah Diggle.

Plus Rene I could buy calling someone "Pretty Bird" (yay comic canon) as a  pet name more then Oliver who rarely even called Felicity affectionate pet names.  I thought I noticed a little spark with his "Sing Canary" moment. 

I like the idea of Renee and Thea so I hope it happens.

Caling it now. I could also see Laurel/Dinah happening.

7 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

And what was the purpose pretending to frame Quentin?  What was that all about?

I thought it was to get him out of the mayor's office so that Chase could build Oliver's trust by being the go-to? 

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

I thought it was to get him out of the mayor's office so that Chase could build Oliver's trust by being the go-to? 

I think that sounds right but I didn't see 5A, was there ever a time this season when Oliver didn't trust Adrian, though? Oliver was like a lost little lamb this season. 

I hope they take the stupid down at least 8 notches next season. That's something to be said about the purely self-interested villains, they don't require that to work. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

I think that sounds right but I didn't see 5A, was there ever a time this season when Oliver didn't trust Adrian, though? Oliver was like a lost little lamb this season. 

No, but I don't think it was a question of needing to gain Oliver's trust, just that he wanted to build a solid working relationship with him so it would sting more when Oliver found out that Adrian had been working against him the whole time.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Proteus said:

Caling it now. I could also see Laurel/Dinah happening.

That would be as nonsensical as Oliver/Black Siren. Not that I think it's going to happen, but I would much rather see Dinah/Nyssa. 

14 hours ago, Proteus said:

I like the idea of Renee and Thea so I hope it happens.

I can't see Thea as a step-mother. I know EBR is actually younger but Thea seems younger and really not in a place to add that kind of responsibility or commitment. Plus Rene? Lowering her standards much?

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, bijoux said:

True, but then again she went for DJ Douchebag, so her choices aren't always the best.

Also true, but then we at least had the pleasure of seeing DJ Douchebag die.  I doubt we'd get so lucky with Rene.  ;)

• Love 1

To be fair, I haven't actually seen Rene and Thea together, but I'm enough of a Thea/Roy shipper that the idea makes me a little irrationally grumpy.  I know he's not on the show anymore, but still. :(

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I can't see Thea as a step-mother. I know EBR is actually younger but Thea seems younger and really not in a place to add that kind of responsibility or commitment. Plus Rene? Lowering her standards much?

What's so bad about Renee? I like him. I think he and Thea could be good together. He's way better than Roy IMO. I could also see Thea bonding with Zoe.

5 minutes ago, Proteus said:

What's so bad about Renee? I like him. I think he and Thea could be good together. He's way better than Roy IMO. I could also see Thea bonding with Zoe.

He's just gonna call her Hoss, and no one will even know who he's talking about.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Proteus said:

What's so bad?  For starters, he came on the show as an arrogant arse that kept claiming to be Oliver's equal while deeming and putting the rest of his teammates in needless harm.  And he kept hitting on Thea and she kept shooting him down with a "never going to happen" (and I'd like to think she knows what she likes).  Then after the backlash against what a rampant jerk he was crested, the show toned his arrogance down, but next we were hit with him being a dead beat dad and an alcoholic that would still rather beat on crooks than work on his life so his daughter doesn't feel unloved and abandoned by her only remaining parent.  I do believe that Rene would have not missed the latest hearing if he could have, but only because Quentin twisted his ear and convinced him to do better, not because his instincts said he should.  

So at the very least, Rene is a mess and has no business getting into a relationship.  Thea deserves better.  

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

So at the very least, Rene is a mess and has no business getting into a relationship.  Thea deserves better.  

Yep. I think that they did a pretty good job of making Rene more likable from around 509ish and on (but then not so much with the arc about his daughter), but I don't think he's anywhere near ready for a relationship. I hope that they have him work on himself in season 6 (but not too much on-screen - there's only so much Rene I can take) and don't throw him into a relationship with anyone (but especially Thea).

Speaking of Thea and relationships, I hope that they don't stick her in a relationship either because I'd rather them have her work on everything she felt she still had to work on at the end of season 5 on-screen in season 6. Don't send her off. If WH's episode count is down again, use the episodes they have her for to explore that. If they put her in a relationship, I don't see that necessarily happening. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I would love to see Thea confront her mother's legacy, both good and bad, going forward. All of this on-screen as @insomniadreams88 says.

Moira was majorly dumped on this season, she seemed to be judged more harshly than Merlyn who committed mass murder. Probably because she is not a father and Thea is not a son. (...meanders off to bitterness thread) 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 9
(edited)

What struck me about Rene is:

• He kept calling Felicity "Blondie" even though she repeatedly told him not to
  • He only respects people who can punch and expects everyone else to earn his respect
  • He insists on keeping guns in his home even though his wife died because he went for his guns
  • He said "What does "safe" even mean?" when told that he couldn't have his daughter live with him unless he provides a safe environment for her after she was taken away because she burned herself because he was too drunk to take care of her (For a start, "safe" means not being so drunk you can't take care of your child and also where she can be shot)
  • He abandoned his daughter to the foster home and didn't visit her at all even though she'd just lost her mother
  • He would rather go out and shoot people than work to provide a good home so that his daughter can be with her only remaining parent.

Thea deserves so much better than that.  I'm afraid they're going to give her that Rene/Thea relationship because the writers seem to love writing for Rene but Rene/Quentin is a much better relationship for him.

Thea needs to get her Moira on and find someone who matches that.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 12
(edited)
5 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Thea is the youngest regular character on the show.  She's supposed to be about 4-5 years younger than Felicity, who is 26-27 at this point.  That said, Willa Holland has played Thea as being older/more mature during this season especially.  If I didn't know better, I'd have said Thea was in her late 20s.

For my part I don't "ship" Thea with Rene, but I have to admit I now really like the idea of Thea being Zoe's stepmother.  Thea's mom was Moria Queen and her biological dad was Malcolm Merlyn.  God help anyone who messes with Zoe in that case.  Thea will ruin their lives on the way to ending them.

I will say I'd like to have at least one "girls night out" with Dinah, Felicity and Thea.  I'd like to see those three become BFFs.

Edited by johntfs